Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 05:18 PM   #1  
GmaTo8

Question Are you giving up anything for Lent?

Although not all religions believe in it, some of us make a sacrifice during Lent whether it is giving up a certain pleasure or doing a good deed daily, or whatever.

Anyhoo, I am giving up mashed potatoes which I dearly love! I won't quit cooking them for the fam, I just won't indulge. My dd is giving up Mountain Dew, and dh is giving up candy.

What about you?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:40 PM   #2  

Default Lent

I thought this (Lent) was a good time to get off the sweet habit, such as candy. Just the thought of chocolate makes my mouth water....this is going to be hard. But I also want to eliminate other sweets from my diet, so this is a good time for me.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:53 PM   #3  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I love to drink diet coke and although I only have about 1 can per day, it will be a sacrifice for me to give it up during lent. I'm of the opinion that you have to give up something you really like or it doesn't really count. Like say if I said I would give up eating brussel sprouts or liver (2 things I detest) it wouldn't be difficult at all, but then it wouldn't be a true sacrifice since I wouldn't normally touch the stuff anyway. So here I publicly declare that I will forgo my daily diet coke for this lenten season.

Blessings to all!
Old 03-06-2003, 01:49 AM   #4  

Default Lent

Hello everyone. My weakness is COFFEE ICE CREAM!!! So i've decided to give up sweets for the season of Lent as well as pork and red meat. I'm really looking forward to it. The lack of coffee ice cream is going to be a real challenge, but agreeing with meleka, its not a real sacrifice if it's not something I love.

Last edited by r-len; 03-06-2003 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:21 AM   #5  

I'm giving up all sweets... candy, cakes, ice cream, etc, AND I'm giving up putting sugar in my coffee (and tea, but I don't put sugar in my tea anyway). I've done this for Lent before and though I never get used to drinking coffee w/o sugar, I do begin to appreciate the natural sweetness of foods. Things like bread and carrots begin to taste decadent! After Lent, I'm afraid I tend to blow it on the post-Easter candy clearances.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:41 AM   #6  

We do not celebrate Lent so I am not giving anything up for it. I do feel that God has ALLOWED me the strength to give up the following things forever! Soft drinks, badbadbadbad. Let us remember that when it comes to our own health and God's admonishment regarding our "temples," that those who do and do not celebrate Lent should give up the things that will harm the temple when we cannot control the intake of them. Soft drinks are the only thing I know that I cannot ever drink again. One soda would start me down a destructive path to weight gain again. Reflect on the things in your life that harm the body and the soul and remove them not just temporarily, but permanently. Think of the joy that will bring to you and the honor you will bestow on God.

Donna
Old 03-06-2003, 01:51 PM   #7  
GmaTo8

Donna, you're sort of like a Soda-holic, huh... lol. I really admire your tenaciaty and drive to suceed! I feel the same way about Ruffles, and refuse to eat them at all.

Wow, soft drinks and sugar seem to be the vice of choice to eliminate, at least for a few weeks.

My son, who's 31 and does not take part in the Lenten sacrifice, says he'll give up chocolate covered watermelon! What a wise guy!

Last edited by Jana; 03-06-2003 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:51 PM   #8  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Well said Donna! I like your perspective.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #9  

I was gonna give up my dh for lent but you're supposed to give up something you like!!(only kidding!) I've given up so many things in the last couple of months that I couldn't come up with anything meaningful, so I've decided to take something up for Lent. I am going to exercise everyday thru Lent. Exercise is something I detest so I figure it's a sacrifice of the same caliber just in reverse! Hmmm, I guess I am giving up something..... my laziness!!
Old 03-09-2003, 06:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default Giving up processed foods and baked goods...pray for me!

I'm trying to stick to healthy, foods like fruit, veggies, fish and chicken, tofu, organic yogurt, etc. Baked goods have been my downfall forever. Every year I say I will sacrifice them for Lent and I always give in to temptation. This time I'm doing it. On Ash Wednesday, I only ate one meal which was mostly vegetables with some fish and I had an orange. I'm refraining from red meat (which isn't really difficult for me) and I don't eat any kind of meat (including chicken) on Fridays during Lent. I have to admit I've been feeling a little lightheaded. I think I'm going through processed food and sugar withdrawal. If this thread is still here for a while, I'd like to come here for support during this time of self-denial and will try to offer any help to anyone doing the same..
Old 03-10-2003, 06:48 AM   #11  
GmaTo8

Musicgal and all others,

This thread has lingered on Death Row more than once, so if you need some friendly people to encourage you during your Lenten struggle or through anything at all, go to the Jaded Ladies # 4 thread, right here at Support. It is a group of caring, fun-loving ladies who support each other through all of life's journeys, not only weight loss, and welcome new members. Musicgal - we will try to help you stay away from the baked goods.

Hope to see you there!!
Closed Thread