General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Facebook friend advertising HCG diet.....

I wanted to say more, but I held back. I know in my own mind, I was being passive aggressive with my comment, but to him, it is a simple question - right? LOL. This friend is also a Team Beachbody coach and is running a challenge right now. I just really want to post links and articles and tell him about himself. Anyway, check it out....
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I did a little research on it just now and it doesn't sound very good, IMO. Two pounds a day? Really? That can't be healthy... And what do you do once the weight is off? It sounds like these people live on like 500 calories and some people aren't even sure that the HCG has anything to do with it. Does the weight stay off once you go back to eating normally? Or does your body flip out? And what about long term effects?

Scary stuff. I wouldn't use the injections or the drops, personally.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #3  

Nadya - I read the same thing and I agree. It doesn't sound healthy at all. I'm kind of irritated because he's pushing this product - most likely because he's making some money on it.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Simplest thing? Crank him down to "only important" or jsut block him for a while. He'll never know and you don't have to be looking at that.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

It could be a virus, if it doesn't sound like him. If he clicked on someone else's link, it might have hijacked his facebook page. This has happened to many of the friends I have on it and they are selling stuff that makes no real sense. Verify it with him before you judge him... just in case it's a scammer virus.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #6  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

A co-workers wife was doing that diet **** and eating only 500 calories a day. She's a big woman for sure, but once he explained to her what I was doing she upped her calories from 500 to 1600 and she'd lost far more weight than doing the HCG thing. I also agree with Astrophe, hide his wall posts so you don't have to see them.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 217.5/202.8/150

Height: 5'8

I think he was hijacked. I had a facebook friend post the same thing, and she said she didn't post it.
sparkles86tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:37 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

My 14 year old niece started posting the same thing and I flipped out. She's 14! She's still growing! And her facebook had been hijacked. Oops.

Also? Don't be so invested in what other grown people do. If they want to do the HCG thing, that's their deal. They're adults, they can make their own choices. It's not like using HCG re-assigns their pounds to you and it's not a race.

Life is SO much easier if you let people do their own thing while you do yours!
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #9  

Yeah I think he was hijacked, that makes the most sense. He just seems too knowledgeable about health to promote something like that.

@98days - of course, I'm not invested in what others do. I'm normally pretty good about just ignoring/blocking people when I see them repeatedly doing things I know I'll end up criticizing.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #10  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
It could be a virus, if it doesn't sound like him. If he clicked on someone else's link, it might have hijacked his facebook page. This has happened to many of the friends I have on it and they are selling stuff that makes no real sense. Verify it with him before you judge him... just in case it's a scammer virus.
Yes it's a virus. People see it on other peoples status, and when they click the link they automatically give permmission to set that same status/wording.
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

My friend is doing the same thing, only it isn't a virus. She's legit doing it, and I've just decided to keep my mouth shut about it. I don't like when people comment on what I'm doing, after all. But I did read up on it, as well, and I seriously think she'd lose more/get healthier faster just doing it the old fashioned way.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #12  
threenorns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98DaysOfSummer View Post
It's not like using HCG re-assigns their pounds to you

heh - with my luck, that's exactly what's happening!
Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

HCG Diet?????
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #14  
threenorns

HCG stands for human chorionic gonadotropin. it's extracted from teh urine of pregnant women.

ppl on this diet do not exercise because they're only getting 500cal a day - they get injected with a cpl hundred units of this stuff that is supposed to (but doesn't actually) cut hunger cravings and "mobilize bad fat reserves" (think about it: it's generated by *pregnant* women - who, of course, NEVER pack on fat or get cravings even though they can have to up TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND units in their blood, right?)