Diabetes Support - March Chat

View Full Version : March Chat

fatmad
03-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Well, well, someone forgot to start the new thread. Have been MIA for a couple of days, spent 2 nights in London (ONT) for work. fbs 5.2 today. Lots of carby foods today. Wednesday took food with me, but when I had to stay overnight, just had to eat as best as possible and stay within points. Missed my weigh in for ww, so I have to find a meeting tomorrow am to do. (Again, makes me feel like I'm in AA)

Lots of news here, glad to read about everyone.
HOpe March is a good month for us all.

Ruthxxx
03-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks, MAD. It slipped my mind, duh! I just closed the February thread. Good work at staying within points. I know what you mean about WW and AA. :lol:

Reading back, Bonnie, you sure have your hands full! Stay strong and remember to look after YOU as well as the rest of the family.

Chipper, sure hope the bursitis treatment works out well. I have never had it but know how painful it can be. Glad the other tests were all good.

FBGL has been pretty standard the past month but weight has been all over the place. I was up to 182, back to 180 yesterday and then saw 177 this morning again. :shrug: That seems to be my stuck point and is also the lowest I've been since I started my Victoza a year ago. It's also the weight I was when I got married again back in 1983. I guess the scale built a wall that's lasted 29 years but I intend to smash it this year!

I'm off for groceries today and will NOT even think of the Chinese Buffet! TGIF to everyone.

fatmad
03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
fbs 5.8 this am. DOn't know what is up with the high numbers. Will chat with my doc about it next time I am in.
Ruth, I too am stuck. (I guess thats a set point? ) just sticking at the same place. Hope to get under 170 this month, and will just work at that. Not sure where I will be for the wedding, but although that is a goal, (just to be looking better for it) I do look at weight loss and better eating as a lifelong goal, and will not be "quitting" after the wedding. THat is for sure!
Today, going into Waterloo for weigh-in and then to hot yoga for some good exercise. Hope everyone has a good Friday!

pattygirl63
03-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, I will do this again. Typed it before and everything froze up.

I'm excited to have found Intermittent Fasting. I did the research to see how it works and low and behold it is the way I ate until I was about 19 yrs old and also ate that way between marriages. Never ate "normal" except when I was married or dieting. The amazing thing is that I never had a weight problem eating this way. In fact, the weight just automatically went down whenever I would go back to eating this way without me ever trying to lose it. But I was told by people, doctors, dieticians etc that I "had" to eat breakfast and had to eat at least 3 meals a day.

I started eating this way again yesterday. I checked FBS before I ate at 1 pm and it was 109 mg. and checked it again today a little before 1 pm as we were leaving to go out to eat and it was 105 mg. The first time in a long time for it to be so long. I don't think it has been this low since I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago. So I am very pleased with the results and I am even more excited that I can live with this way of eating behcause it is not a diet for me. It is just the way I enjoy eating. It is comfortable for me.
However, I am still doing the WWpts+ with it in order to keep things under control.

Ruthie, Mad, Chipper, Rie, Bonnie and everyone else.:wave:

Ruthxxx
03-03-2012, 08:51 AM
ope everyone survived the horrorshow entry of the March Lion. We had snow, ice, rain, wind and fog - the whole shebang!

Did well yesterday in avoiding the Chinese Buffet and even walked the length of the shopping centre - twice. (I usually just drive the other other end.) I discovered a new shop and went in. Ended op gorging myself on some new clothes and am delighted to announce that Size 12 pants now fit! I'm hardly over the joy of fitting into a Size 14! Today I will re-home everything Size 16 and up with just a couple of garden pants kept back.

Patty, IF is the way I used to eat "back in the day" and am wondering if that would work for me now. I never actually want breakfast and just eat it because of my FBGL. Hmmm.

Gee, Mad, I've always wondered exactly where you were down there but no I know you must be near Waterloo. Nice country down there. I may do Stratford this season. Perhaps we could meet for coffee. Hope the doc can shed some light on your FBGL. Of course we are not giving up on weightloss when we reach our mini-goals. Watching what we eat is a lifestyle.

Good morning to Rie, Bonnie, Chipper and the others. Pop in and say hi!

Riemontana
03-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Hello Friends!

Just a quick hello. I am in Grand Forks, ND, visiting my son and his family. It is bitterly cold here but I am really enjoying myself. My fbs is hovering in the low 80's to mid 90's but that is probably reflective of my eating.

Trish, I am so glad that the IF is comfortable for you. Good Luck!

Ruth, a size 12 is such a victory. I would love to join you there. Good for you.

Mad, When I return home on Monday, I am going to make an all out effort to drop ten more pounds. I am frustrated!

Sorry for missing anyone. I will try to be back later tonight.

Rie

fatmad
03-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Ruth: COngrats on the size 12!:carrot: what a great nsv.
Of course I would be happy to meet you if you are in Stratford or anywhere nearby.

re IF: when is it intermittent fasting and when is it skipping meals? I think a full day of fasting is fine, but skipping meals may affect our blood glucose in other ways. hope you are testing plenty while you are trying this. We want to be safe about it.

Rie: I hope we can get our weight down.
THis is a hard day, bad weather, insomnia from the storm, and am just hunkered down, not doing much but laundry, which makes for a hungry day.
Charting everything, and planning for a supper that is not too high in points.

Have a good day everyone.

red65
03-03-2012, 01:50 PM
Hi all. Hope you don't mind me pulling up a chair to visit with y'all.

I am just now re-entering the world of Type 2 diabetes. Well, that is probably a lie. I am just now finding out (last month) that somewhere in the past year my bg ZOOMED from pre-diabetic to type 2.

My first brush with diabetes was in 1997 when weight just stared falling off of my despite being constantly hungry and thirsty and having the energy level of warm saliva. I had weight loss surgery and very quickly my levels came down and stayed down until the past couple years when they were pre-diabetic and of course, now.

In the past few months I have had vision changes, memory problems, cellulitis in both legs, candida issues from Hades, headaches and a LOT of vomiting and nausea.

Went to a new GP a month ago about the cellulitis and found out my fbg was a whopping 209!! He went ahead and checked kidney and liver function and they were fine. He had me monitor my fbg for the next week while trying out 500mg metformin morning and evening. The fbg's dropped to 170's for a few days and then settled right back at 200.

I went back on Thursday as the cellulitis, while mild, has now shown up in both legs. That and the nausea and vomiting is OH SO MUCH WORSE! He tested my bs in the office after he found out that I had gone over 12 - 18 hours without eating due to the nausea and vomiting. I figured it wouldn't look too bad but lo and behold my fbg was 219! Metformin has now been upped to 1000mg am and pm.

He also put me back on Reglan for gastroparesis (something I had dealt with years ago and that was controlled with weight loss surgery). I'm happy to say that the nausea is much better (so far) but I'm just really struggling with the whole high blood sugar thing.

I woke up at 5:00 am this morning shaking like a leaf and thought that it MUST be low blood sugar and that I needed to eat. I was so sure that I didn't test it, just made a half sandwich. I went back to sleep for another hour or so and woke up with the shakes again so this time I tested and fully expected to see my bg on the low side but NO! It was 343!!! OMG! I took the metforming morning dose and waited to test after another 1.5 hours and the reading had dropped to 274.

I'm doing a lot of research to determine how I am going to do battle with this thing. I need to lose about 75lbs and I am no stranger to low carb. I am looking hard at Dr. Bernstein's books and programs but am open to any other resources I may find.

Thank you for having this thread and for anyone who reads it and responds.

Take care,
Kellye

pattygirl63
03-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Mad I don't consider myself skipping any meals. I just don't eat until I get hungry and if I want breakfast when I eat fine, if not I eat what I want within the WW pts system. Although I do plan to give my body at least a 16 hour rest of fasting and use 6 to 8 hrs daily to eat. I read a book years ago that I loved that had a 3 cycle day of 4 am to 12 noon called elimination cycle when you ate nothing but fruit, 12 noon to 8 pm was eating cycle and 8 pm to 4 am was a cycle for body to rest from eating. I really liked that way of eating, but think I like the IF way of doing it better because I think it is better for the body. I feel good eating this way... energetic, alert etc. I'm not eliminating any foods, but am working at eating healthy thus the reason for staying with WW with it. Also checking BS as I do this as I'm learning the importance of going easy on the salt, curb the carbs and drink plenty of water and green tea. After all, I'm going for the benefits of IF and need to tweak it to myself personally.

Ruthie CONGRATULATIONS for being down to size 12 pants. Evidently you are losing inches and I'm sure the scales will follow. I also agree that we are headed for our mini goals, but will not stop there. I think I need to change mine as my first mini goal is to get under 200. I don't care if it is199.5, I just want to get under it first. Then make another mini goal to shoot for.

Rie Glad you are enjoying time with your son and family. Have a safe trip back hom

pattygirl63
03-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Red :welcome3: You are in a good place here for support and you are doing the right thing to learn how to get FBS under control. I experienced the same thing one day when I first started taking Metformin. I thought my BS had dipped and was shocked to learn it was up. If you can afford to do it, it is also good to check BS after eating certain foods to see how it effects your bs. I still do that. Just because a nutritionist or another diabetic can eat something does not mean you can. Example, Oatmeal usually keeps most diabetic's bs in a good range. Not me. I can eat 1/4 c oatmeal measured dry and my bs does okay, but if I have a regular serving my bs skyrockets. Even surprised my doc, but he saw the numbers and as he said "the numbers don't lie". Good luck on your journey.

Mad I don't consider myself skipping any meals. I just don't eat until I get hungry and if I want breakfast when I eat fine, if not I eat what I want within the WW pts system. Although I do plan to give my body at least a 16 hour rest of fasting and use 6 to 8 hrs daily to eat. I read a book years ago that I loved that had a 3 cycle day of 4 am to 12 noon called elimination cycle when you ate nothing but fruit, 12 noon to 8 pm was eating cycle and 8 pm to 4 am was a cycle for body to rest from eating. I really liked that way of eating, but think I like the IF way of doing it better because I think it is better for the body. I feel good eating this way... energetic, alert etc. I'm not eliminating any foods, but am working at eating healthy thus the reason for staying with WW with it. Also checking BS as I do this as I'm learning the importance of going easy on the salt, curb the carbs and drink plenty of water and green tea. After all, I'm going for the benefits of IF and need to tweak it to myself personally.

Ruthie CONGRATULATIONS for being down to size 12 pants. Evidently you are losing inches and I'm sure the scales will follow. I also agree that we are headed for our mini goals, but will not stop there. I think I need to change mine as my first mini goal is to get under 200. I don't care if it is199.5, I just want to get under it first. Then make another mini goal to shoot for.

Rie Glad you are enjoying time with your son and family. Have a safe trip back home,

Bonnie, Chipper and everyone else Hope all is well with y'all.

Have a great week end.

Ruthxxx
03-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Good morning. Survived the wedding reception and felt good in some of the new duds. I even danced - although my knee remembers it this morning. :( Worth it though! Managed to avoid all food and got through the night on many glasses of "Scotch" - the bartender knew to pour me diet gingerale when Scotch was ordered. It pays to be friendly with the bartender and tip him properly.

BGL is 4.2 this morning and I'm down another pound - all time low since 1983. Can you tell I'm delighted?

Big WELCOME to Red. Yes, lowering carbs and losing weight seems to be the way to go on controlling this thing. It plus Metformin and Victoza have worked for me and I now test in the "normal" range for HA1C. Sorry you have other health problems to handle as well which makes it difficult but not insurmountable. Keep on truckin' and try to pop in here as much as possible. (We now will join in singing "Getting to know you"!)

Here's (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/salads-phase-1/254160-red-bean-salad-feta-peppers.html#post4239600) a great make ahead recipe for us. It's been tested by a Beacher and is yummy. I'll make it today for lunches during the next busy week.

pattygirl63
03-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Ruthie - YEY:cheer::cheer:FOR YOU GIRL!!!! Good job!!!

My ticker is correct again. Back down to the 218. Now to hit my WW 5% of 213 headed to first goal of 199.

On the run.

BBL

Wannabehealthy
03-04-2012, 01:04 PM
Trish - When I was in my 20's and 30's I did IF without knowing that it had a name. That was just the way I ate. I lived alone. I would eat breakfast and a substantial lunch, but no dinner. I wasn't usually hungry after the big lunch and wasn't really burning many calories in the evening, and I slept better on an empty stomach. I was at my best weight during that time. It's when I added dinner into the mix that I put on all my weight and became diabetic.

fatmad
03-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Fbs down to 4.3 today, don't know what I did right, except overeat yesterday!
Today I am not so hungry, which is good. Had a large weekend brunchie type breakfast, so will eat light for lunch, and a good supper. Got a nice trail walk in, as the day is sunny and cold, with much less wind than yesterday. I am planning to bake a little treat to take to friends today and have some social time.
Trish: if what you are doing is working and feels right, then that is great. I worry about you! You have had some big stressors and its been hard for you to stick to any w.o.e. so I am glad if you are doing well.
Red: Welcome: hope you feel free to drop in anytime. I looked carefully into Dr. Bernstein, and its VERY expensive, and I decided if I was gonna switch from atkins I would try ww first, and am happy with that. I still pay over $50/month (compared to Bernsteins $500!) just for a fancy way to count calories and get weighed, but its working and that is enough for me. Maybe try south beach or atkins or ww first, and save the bernsteins if it doesn't work for you.
In terms of getting started, pick an eating plan and stick to that, your med and some light to moderate exercise to start with. Test test test, fasting, before and after meals and before bed. Keep a food diary so you can learn what makes you spike. I am doing ww much differently than I did in the first few weeks after my diagnosis, much lower grains and more veggies now.
Rie: lets get that 10 pounds off together. I am looking forward to the weight dropping, let me say!
:carrot:
Hello to everyone else, hope you are enjoying your weekend.

pattygirl63
03-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Trish - When I was in my 20's and 30's I did IF without knowing that it had a name. That was just the way I ate. I lived alone. I would eat breakfast and a substantial lunch, but no dinner. I wasn't usually hungry after the big lunch and wasn't really burning many calories in the evening, and I slept better on an empty stomach. I was at my best weight during that time. It's when I added dinner into the mix that I put on all my weight and became diabetic.

You know what was crazy when I was a teenager and ate this way? I hated dinner dates. I remember doubling dating with my sister and we were dating guys who were best friends. We were going to an expensive restaurant and my sister said to me "get a steak or whatever you want... they can afford to pay for it". I didn't want anything and I felt sick at my stomach because I felt like I was being "forced to eat". I realize now that it was after 7 pm and I never ate past 5:30 pm so it was outside my "eating window". Until now, I often wondered if it was because I was nervous eating out on a date, but I had many dates where I either ate with friends or boy friends. Now that I've researched IF, I think I just wasn't used to eating that late and I was literally sick. I also remember cooking a good ole Southern fried chicken dinner one night for my sisters and me because my parents were going out. We wouldn't be able to eat until around 7ish. I didn't eat one bite of it and fried chicken was my favorite food, but by the time we ate my hunger and desire for food had left me so I didn't eat.

Oh where did I lose the ability to know those eating signals? If I had kept them, I would never have had a weight problem. What a shame that now I can eat just because the food is there whether I'm hungry or not. Oh how I hope I can get those old healthy eating habits back.

pattygirl63
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Mad - Thanks so much for your concern. I do appreciate it. I have decided that I'm not going to let the stress get control of me. I'm going to get control of the stress. Peace is my goal. The IF way of eating is so natural for me since I grew up eating this way "naturally" that it has actually released the stress of dieting and weight problems because I know this is "the way" for me.

Butterfly50
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone I finally got a chance to get on here. I went shopping tonight and got a bunch of veggies and stuff for me to get on my better way of eating tomorrow. I have a plan to get up in the am and work out and then begin my day I have to do this for me and I must take the time for myself. So I will be here tomorrow ... I hope all is well with everyone .

pattygirl63
03-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Bonnie - Good for you. Glad to have you back here. I've learned that I don't mind doing the things I do for everybody around here, I just need to be able to also to have some me time and do some things for me. Glad you are learning to do the same for yourself.

Wannabehealthy
03-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Trish - I too hated dinner dates. I felt uncomfortable eating in front of a guy. I used to go to a club with my friends and there was an all night restaurant next door. Everyone used to go to the restaurant after the club closed. I just went on home. There was no way I could eat a meal and then go home to bed.

I had my A1c checked last week and it was 6.6. 6 months ago it was 5.7 but my diet has not been "diabetic friendly" due to a special diet I was on due to surgery. I'm surprised the A1c wasn't much higher! They had me on a low residue diet and I was not permitted any fiber. No gas producing veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, only iceberg lettuce for salads, only white bread and pasta. Everything the opposite of what I know for diabetes. I guess I kept my portions small enough not to do too much damage. I was struggling to maintain the weight loss I had from the surgery. Now I need to get back to good eating and lose some more weight.

Butterfly50
03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Been on track today I had a on plan breakfast and lunch now I am heading for a afternoon snack . I even worked out this morning I did a hour and a half of walk it out. wanted to go walking but they are pulling up the roads and laying new ones down so I can't get out on the street. Plus they have broken 4 water lines so far this morning and their is water everywhere We cant even run water in the house right now gonna head to the uncles house jest for everyone to get a shower but I am doing good today I even checked my FBS this morning it was 103.

I hope everyone is having a good day. I will be back..

chipper15173
03-05-2012, 06:13 PM
evening...
had a great start to my monday....
lost 3#s
lost a total of 17# since i recommitted 1-2-2012
lost just over 5" from bust, waist, hips
had a good 3 hour talk with sister in canada. she has been struggling lately.
hope ya'll had a good monday. off to make breakfast for dinner.

fatmad
03-05-2012, 07:08 PM
fbs up to 5.6 today, no idea why. Scale looks good for weigh in on Weds. Hoping to keep this loss going, maybe another pound down. Long work day today, am ready for a nap.
No yoga tonight, too tired.

Riemontana
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Hello All.

I am back home and back on track. Even though I controlled carbs while I was gone, I ate too much. However, I am so appalled at what the scale says. 10 pounds? That isn't even possible. I am hoping that I am back down to normal by the beginning of next week. If not :?: I will change my ticker.

Mad, so glad that your weight is dropping. I hope you got some rest last night.

Bonnie!:hug: So glad that you are back and on track.

Chipper, you are doing so well! What great progress. Keep it up.

Trish, it sounds like you have some more peace in your life. I'm glad.

Carol, your A1c sounds good considering the low residue diet you were forced to eat. It's all about healing!

Ruthie, I hope you are having a good week.

Well I am off to the western part of the state today for a business trip. It is snowing over there so I am hoping for good travel. Hopefully the hotel will have wifi and I will check in later.

Rie

pattygirl63
03-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Rie - Missed you. Have a safe trip and hope you can check in again later. Yes, I do have more peace in my life. Taking back my life. I'm getting more involved with church again and I think it is helping me a whole lot. Daddy always said that everything happens for a reason. I believe that we can learn something from what we go through in life and have always prayed for God to use things I go through to make me "better" and not "bitter". My 1st MIL could be so sweet and loads of fun when she let herself, but we didn't see that part of her very much. So many things in her life had happened and she was a very bitter. I learned from that part of my life that no matter what I go through, I don't want to become bitter like she was. I loved her but she was so miserabe that I always felt like she wanted all of us to be miserable too. As a result, I just decide to let God use all that is going on to change me and teach me what I need to learn and hopefully I will come out of it a better person. Door has opened up at church for me to speak quite often to a ladies group and I can only share with them what God is doing in my life in this situation. DD and DGD knows what I speak on and DGD went last time. When she found out that I'm speaking again at the next meeting, she asked if she could go. Hopefully all of us are growning and becoming better.
DD lost her food stamps and I felt I had to go get food for them. Got home from church and found a sweet note that DD had written me and they were cleaning house. A lot of things haven't changed, but I've decided that "showing them love and helping them" at this time is best thing I can do right now. I think it is the "right thing" to do. Gives me the opportunity to live by example what I tell the DGs all the time... "You do what is right sometimes just because it is the right thing to do". I hope they will learn something good by it.

Bonnie - Glad you're back OP. You know I have a tendency to want to do everything "Perfectly", but I've had to learn that I'm never going to be perfect. I have to allow myself to make mistakes and just learn to pick myself up and do my "best". If I mess up for a meal or a day whatever whether caused by circumstances beyond my control or not, I have to forget it and move on when I realize what has happened. Sometimes I end up beating myself up for not being stronger, but what I need to do is to forgive myself for either getting myself off or allowing myself to and at the next meal/snack make it an OP meal/snack. I think this is the way we get to goal.

DSIL is off today. Didn't ask any questions, just take advantage of when he is off. DH and I are going out for chinese food that I've been hungry for for weeks. We will eat and then go walking at store and pick up youngest DGD. Today is Jaxxon's therapy day and it makes it easier time wise if the one getting him ready for the arrival of the therapist doesn't have to go pick her up so will help DSIL out that way.

Mad, Chipper, Carol Sue, Ruthie and everyone else.:wave:

Y'all have a great day.

fatmad
03-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Hi all: fbs was 5.2 this am. All my pc sugars are under 6, so am doing fine, but the fasting is the one that just doesn't want to come down.
Got to yoga this evening. Have been busy with work as we have been a bit short staffed for a couple of days, of course it got busy then!
Made it through safely for all, and now back to regular strength.
Hello to Rie and Trish, and looking forward to posts from our newbies too.
Have a good evening.

Ruthxxx
03-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Good morning. FBGL 4.1 after my own low-cal pizza last night - an unexpected surprise! However, weight is up a bit from sodium. Olives and capers will do it!

Patty, I so admire you. You seem to have your life in order and are a very wise woman.

Mad, sounds like you had a busy week. Too bad babies don't stick to schedule.

Rie, stop the snow talk! I really am ready for spring - and it's been an easy winter around here.

Chipper, I am most impressed by that weightloss in such a short time.

Rie, yes, ten pounds is impossible, I think. It must be water weight.

Bonnie, hope the water situation is resolved soon. I can do without heat and light but not water.

Time to plan some meals. i have been meaning to do a bean and cabbage salad and the can of beans is still sitting unopened on the counter. I'll throw it together before I go to the gym. Yes, I'm back at it again!

Hope your Hump Day is humpless.

Wannabehealthy
03-07-2012, 08:10 AM
Rie - Since you were away and eating foods you weren't accustomed to you probably had more sodium that usual and are probably retaining water. It is disheatening to see that, though.

Butterfly50
03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Good Morning Everyone!!! pattygirl63 Funny you should say that because I flopped yesterday . I woke up and I had the worst allergy attack . My hubby took me to the dr they gave me a steroid shot and some meds. Hubby felt so bad for me he went and got pizza for the kids and I had a few slices and to bed I went. Feeling a bit better today Now I have to go get my meds from wally world. Hopeing to feel good enough to do some wii walk it out.

I hope everyone is doing good and I will check back in later .

Riemontana
03-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Hello All.

fbs at 84 today. I didn't go on my trip yesterday because the roads were so awful and I just didn't want to drive 4 hours on ice to attend a 3 hour meeting and then come back. I must be getting scared in my old age!:D

Mad, looking forward to good news on weigh in day today. Fingers crossed for you.

Ruth, yeah, I think the weight is not real. It is comming down about a pound a day. Hopefully.

Bonnie, so sorry about your allergy attack.

Trish, how was the chinese food?

I am off to face the day. Later

Rie

pattygirl63
03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Just lost everything I typed and don't have time to write all the individuals again. Try to get back later. Y'all have a great day.

fatmad
03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Hey everyone: weigh is was good tonight, down a pound. So in 7 weeks, 6 pounds. At home I am a pound less, and that is true to ticker, but have been hovering here for a while.
I have been having a "hungry day" hard to fill up, even with "filling foods".
These seem to happen a couple of times a week. It ok if it happens on Wednesdays, if I can hold off until weigh in. (I had a snack before we went though, or I might have weighed less.)
Otherwise a good day, busy at the office, and tomorrow is a travel day.
Rie: our weather here has been up and down. Monday, arctically cold, today warm and springlike and sunny. The temps will be going down a bit for a couple of days, then back to warm for the weekend. I think you were wise to avoid a long trip on treacherous roads. Our cars get winterized, and I always have snow tires from November to the end of March, or longer, but I doubt you would have them in Carolina!
Ruth, your homemade pizza sounds yummy. Hope the water weight sheds soon.
See the rest of you tomorrow, Trish hope your post doesn't get lost again!

Ruthxxx
03-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Working hard on the water weight but it's still there this morning. I refuse to change my ticker though. The feta cheese in last night's cabbage and red bean salad probably didn't help. That stuff is salty! I may make another pita pizza tonight to use it up. I wonder if it is less salty if you freeze it. Must give that a try since I bought 400 grams and used only half.

Just had a few (10) green grapes to bring up my BGL a bit and will be walking down to the Diner soon for a poached egg on brown toast with the group. Unfortunately most of the group are very overweight and in poor health but eat huge breakfasts - bacon 2 eggs, home fries and 2 Texas toast with peanut butter and honey. I am not tempted one bit which is great. Once in a while I will have an order of home fries only or a slice of peameal on an English muffin. Then they talk about diets and I keep my mouth shut and avoid a superior smile.

I worked out really hard at the gym yesterday with my trainer who increased the weights for some of the routines. I can feel it a bit this morning which is a good thing. As soon as the rest of the ice gets off the road, I plan to work in a walk on days I don't do the gym. Even a half hour down for the mail would be helpful.

I'm babbling! Time for a soak in the tub and then crank up the day.

fatmad
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
RUth: I too would like to walk more. Last walk on the trail was a bit treacherous, but after this thaw, think it will be fine this weekend.
Planning to do some walking today, will be in Toronto for the day, exercising my rights on International Women's Day.
Have a great day all friends here

Butterfly50
03-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Hi Everyone one been doing goo here although I am feeling better I have been doing real good here I peaked at the scale this morning and it said I am down 3 pounds so far since Monday!!! Yay me I jest wish they would finish the roads out here so I can go walking.... My Son and his wife are coming down on the 18 threw the 21. We finally get to meet our granddaughter she is 2 now. Plus are are waiting on the Grandson who will be here around the first week of July .

Hope all is doing well I cant wait to get back where I was before...

Ruthxxx
03-09-2012, 07:41 AM
Quickie as I'm running a tad late. All is well with BGL but darned weight is still up at 179. Water drinking today may change that and I will avoid salt as much as possible. Off to the gym with Donna shortly, TGIF!

fatmad
03-09-2012, 09:22 AM
mmm, steel cut oats this am, put it in the slow cooker last night so its all ready this morning. Off to work early today, hope it won't be too long a day!

pattygirl63
03-09-2012, 11:54 AM
a quick flyby as this is a very busy day. FBS taken just before 1st meal of the day is very good. 118 mg yesterday. I can live with that one.

Will try to BBL for indies, if not y'all have a great day and week end.

Riemontana
03-09-2012, 01:16 PM
Hello friends.

fbs at 83 this morning. Sorry that I didn't get here yesterday. On Tuesday, I slipped in the snow and "bobbled" my bad knee. I just thought it was a little sore. It kept getting worse and yesterday I finally went to the dr. Dx: strained ligaments and a partially torn quad. :mad: I won't be able to walk this weekend and I was looking forward to it. Is this aging? I feel like a hypochondriac.:dizzy:

Mad, good for you for participating. We must all strive to active and involved in our communities.

Ruth, good job on the cafe and the training. I am becoming a believer in more strength training, even though I could cheerfully just focus on cardio.

Bonnie, so glad that you get to meet the little one in person!

Trish, enjoy your busy day and enjoy the weekend.

Off to do paperwork. Sure glad that I am able to work at home.

Rie

pattygirl63
03-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Rie - The chinese food was good but I goofed and got what DH got the sweet & sour chicken and too sweet. Bad thing is he wants to try the new Chinese place by Wal-mart, but I will make sure it isn't sweet & sour. Then will have to come home and drink loads of water and green tea before bed time.

Ruthie & Mad- Now that DH is feeling better we are able to get out and go more and do more walking in the mall etc. I find that I do enjoy walking now that I'm doing it a little more. DH has a disability license plate; but when he isn't with me, I park further away when I go to the store so I can get in more walking. And I can walk around and window shop at the store or a mall for a good hour or two now without getting short winded or tired. LOL That's such a great improvement for me.

Bonnie - I always said that I loved being a Mommy, but I really love being a grandmother. I have to say that I am really enjoying the ones living with us better now that I don't have to Mother them and can be Nannie. For some reason, they haven't been able to get their food stamps renewed. some glitch of some sort so I've had to go get a few groceries the last few weeks for them and the kids get so excited over the stuff I buy. Funny what will satisfy a Grandchild and make them think you are the greatest thing since peanut butter. LOL I know you are going to enjoy meeting your 2 year old granddaughter and the new grandson who will arrive in July. Are these your
first grands? Have fun and enjoy them.

Chipper, Carol Sue and anyone else I missed. Hope all is going well with y'all.

Ruthxxx
03-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Weight down a pound and BGL good at 4.1. Let's hope the rest of the water weight drains away today! I think pitching the rest of that salad may help - it's good but way too salty. I think I'll cut way back on the feta next time.

I'm a bit sore this morning as I tried two new machines at the gym yesterday - the butt buster and the ab lounger. The first one is no go as all the weight goes on my replaced knee. The ab lounger really gives me a workout, especially the tummy so I'll keep doing it. Linda my PT is so caring and won't let me do anything that might harm my wonky parts!

More snow last night but I do know Spring IS coming and am really looking forward to walking around in the Village.

fatmad
03-10-2012, 10:29 AM
RUth: the next few days will be crazy, its -13 this morning and will be + 10 or more tomorrow! Thats an insane swing in temperature.
I went to test this morning and I was out of test strips, have to get more this am.
And then to yoga! Have a great weekend friends.

Riemontana
03-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 83 this morning.... LOL I am sure consistent! the sun is out and we are expecting temperatures in the high 60's. Quite a change from the snow and 18 degree temps that we had through the week. Gotta love Montana!

Ruth, when did you have your knee replacement? They tell me that I need one but I worry because I think that I am too young. I would like to lose another 20 pounds and get much stronger but I have a lot of pain..... Any advice?

Mad, just wondering... what kind of meter do you use? I love my freestyle lite because I test on my arm. Enjoy the activity of the weekend. It sounds like your Canada has lots of different weather swings too. Keeps it interesting. ;)

Trish, I LOVE asian food! Actually, I have learned to manage the china buffets easier these days. I usually have a large salad to start and that limits how much I eat. I also don't eat any rice or noodles anymore so all my carbs come from the sauces. Enjoy. So have things changed a lot in your house? You mentioned that you don't have to care for them all the time?

Hi Chipper!

Georgia and Diva, if you are listening... I hope you will join us here. It has helped me so much.

Have a great day!

Rie

Ruthxxx
03-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Mad, our weather is nuts! Now the snow is melting and I just saw a flock of robins hanging out behind the barn. It is definitely coming!!!!!!!

Rie, I don't know how old you are but really don't think age should be a factor. I was 68. I was bone on bone and know how much it hurts. Losing weight and strengthening the leg muscles will really help with recover. I was sorry I didn't lose and start exercising was 68.before I had my procedure. Recovery seemed to take a long time but that was probably because my surgeon skipped the classes on pain management. (He is no longer in ortho.)

fatmad
03-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Ruth, when did you have your knee replacement? They tell me that I need one but I worry because I think that I am too young. I would like to lose another 20 pounds and get much stronger but I have a lot of pain..... Any advice?

RIE: let me get my medical hat on for a minute. I know many people who have put off the replacement because of this. BUT, good research shows that getting it done earlier improved health for most. If the pain is preventing walking and even light to moderate exercise, you get unhealthy while waiting. We gain weight and out of shape. Its actually bad for the heart! (several studies show that there are more heart attacks in the "waiting" groups. )

Mad, just wondering... what kind of meter do you use? I love my freestyle lite because I test on my arm. Enjoy the activity of the weekend. It sounds like your Canada has lots of different weather swings too. Keeps it interesting.

Rie: I've been using the one touch ultra. I have searched and searched, and there is not good evidence about one type being more accurate than another. (I suspect there is some company collusion here). I can't test on my arm, I get bruised and scabby looking and look like a junkie, so prefer the finger.
My sticks are cheaper than the freestyle. I don't ever go to walmart (personal choice) so didn't go for the relion.

Making soup for supper, and a red cabbage salad. Having people over for a potluck, and maybe a movie. I recorded Bridesmaids last week, and have no one to watch it with, since DH won't see it. He's usually ok with chick flicks, but not this one.

Yoga was great, and am going for a trail walk as well now.
ttfn

Riemontana
03-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Good Morning!

fbs at 90 this morning:?: I didn't rest very well.

Ruth and Mad, thank you for the advice on the knee replacement. Except for the occasional injury, I can still walk long distances. I think I might be only a year or so away from the procedure. :( I am so thankful that diabetes started me on this path to healthy living. A year ago, I was morbidly obese and very sedentary. I am hoping that another year brings me even better health.

Mad, how was the movie? I haven't watched it yet.

Ruth, I am actually 52 ;). I can't imagine going through that recovery without good pain management. I watched my dad and it is pretty brutal. He has had both knees done.

Hello to Trish, Chipper, CarolSue, and Georgia if you are here. Have a great Sunday.

Rie

fatmad
03-11-2012, 02:48 PM
SO pleased, fbs was down to 4.9 this am. (thats 85 to you americans!)
went for a long trail walk with the dog in the warm sunshine. QUite an active weekend for me, yoga and two walks. Its been very quiet workwise. Eating well, lots of veggies for me. Hoping to see a shift down a pound by weigh in on Wednesday.
Rie: I tore cartilage and ligaments in my knee many years ago, (27 in fact!) and then had the torn cartilage removed about 13 years ago. BOth knees are a bit touchy and I don't have as much stability as I would like, but know arthritis so far. I have been quite careful with the yoga, and now can do things that were unthinkable a couple of years ago. I am grateful that my first teacher was very knowledgeable and had done a lot of study for teaching yoga to people with a variety of special needs and abilities.
Its march break for schools in our area, but work looks fairly quiet this week.
Happy Sunday everyone.

red65
03-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone,

For those that welcomed me, thank you very much. Support is so helpful while I am trying to find my way through my latest diagnosis. I've sorta lost count but I think this makes my 17th diagnosis. Grrr.

My fbs is still a mess and has ranged from 161 (a new low for me!) to 343. This morning was 201. I got in to talk to my doctor and he of course doesn't like the numbers anymore than I do so he has changed my medicine regimen to include 1,000mg metformin 2x daily AND Glyburide 2.5 mg 1 x daily.

Has anyone on here had this combo and how did it work for you? Did it control your bs or no? Were there any awful side effects, tummy issues, weight loss, or anything similar?

I will be embarking on my low-carb journey once again and hope to be able to post numbers soon. I'm so swollen though right now and it is taking virtually FOREVER for it to go away (40mg Lasix barely phases it) but when it does I see a 10lb drop on the scale and then the scale will move up and down fluctuating wildly). I am so frustrated with it.

For those who shared their experience with the need for the TKR I thank you. My right knee is pretty well shot and I am told that I am likely to be facing total replacement soon. I'm 46 and maybe considered too young to have one but I don't want to be seen as too young to have to sit out on life either. I would rather be a fun grandma to my DGS and than a sick DGS or DGGS (one of these days) who people shy away from because they don't want me to break LOL!

Anyway, that is my update for now.

Take care,
Kellye

fatmad
03-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Kelly: thanks for sharing. Sounds like T2D is only one of your health problems, and hope you find some stability in health soon.
I am up way too early after a page, and had some cereal and hope to be back to sleep in a bit. So my fbs for 5.3 may be a bit higher than it would have been after a full night. I hate changing to daylight time too, it always messes me up.
I think it should be banned, No reason for it in this day and age. (on the flip side, turning back to standard time is one of my favourite weekends of the year, and I wouldn't have that!)
Happy MOnday friends

chipper15173
03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
just cruising by today. not much new in my neighborhood. waiting for the sun to come up so i can go run. now that i can't use my arm. i have go back into running. using the C25K program again. see doctor next week. hope he lets me start to use it again. the one thing i don't like about day light savings. the mornings are now slower going. i like to get up and get things done. my sign to slow down a little, i guess.
have a good one.

red65
03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
I hate changing to daylight time too, it always messes me up.
I think it should be banned, No reason for it in this day and age. (on the flip side, turning back to standard time is one of my favourite weekends of the year, and I wouldn't have that!)
Happy MOnday friends

My thoughts exactly! I've told anybody who would listen the same thing. LOVE falling back. HATE springing forward lol.

Riemontana
03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Happy Monday!

fbs at 86 this morning. I have been in good ranges all weekend despite a lack of activity.

Mad, Yay on the good numbers! I agree that the time switch is annoying. It seems to take me a while to adjust. On the flip side, I mostly wake with the sun so I like the early mornings when it is light out.

Chipper, what happened to your arm? Are you hurt? How much do you run?

Kellye, Welcome! It sounds like you have various health struggles. I hope that we can be helpful to you. I was on a similar drug program when I was first diagnosed. After I lost about 20 pounds, I was switched to metformin and Januvia. I was getting lows with the gliperide. (into the 40's - 50's) Anyway, my bs has been blessedly stable these days. Again, welcome. This forum has been so helpful to me and I hope we can help you.

Ruth, did your water weight come off? I am still arguing with the scale but it is better.

To Everyone: have a great Monday!

Rie

chipper15173
03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
morning....
rie....i have had shoulder problems for years. i finally asked for a referral to see the ortho about it. i have bursitis. since i had started strength training just over a year ago, it has gotten worse. so i have to rest it so the inflammation can go away. i have to exercise it daily. no swinging, pushing, pulling, stretching the arm. he said no swinging it around in zumba. didn't say i couldn't do zumba, just no swinging. LOL. and i don't i keep it to my side. instructor said i do pretty good at it with one arm.
i do the C25K program. i run for 90 seconds, walk for 2 mins. the running gets longer as the weeks go on. by the end of 9 weeks you should be able to run 3.1 miles. the total length right now is 1.2 miles i think. need to figure it out. i am on week 2. time wise it takes 30 minutes.

have a good day ladies.

Butterfly50
03-13-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone I wanted to pop in and tell everyone I am doing good counting the days till the grands come to visit. Doing good I have been having a little problem with my skin. Been so hot here that I have a awful rash from the skin rubbing against skin.

Welcome to the newbies glad to see everyone is doing well. I better be running the baby needs her nap she is a grumppy little one today. Will check back later

fatmad
03-14-2012, 10:03 AM
well, its relatively quiet lately, are US kids on march break too?
FBS 5.7 today, I missed a dose of metformin yesterday I think. (topsy turvy with time as I had a delivery that went late into the night, and slept till 11 am.)
Made for a hungry day. Finished the week using all my points.
Am a little frustrated with the scale refusing to budge. REally really wanna be under 170 for the end of the month.
TO get there will try eat few points in a day. Will have to be creative with this. I already eat several servings of "free" fruit and veggies every day, and still am hungry at times, so not sure how to accomplish this. Will have to give up on non-fruit sweets i think. So there is the plan.

off for breakfast now friends

Riemontana
03-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Good morning!

fbs at 83 today. I swear I posted here yesterday morning but it is not here. Perhaps I got distracted and left before I posted it.:?:

Mad, I totally share your frustration and confusion with the scale. I am frustrated because I can't even approach my usual level of activity with my injury. My ticker is way off. The 10 pounds that I supposedly gained during a 5 day trip with my son has not really come off. I am still 7 pounds heavy. :mad::?:Mathematically, that doesn't seem to be possible but soon, I need to just accept it. I am wondering about "setpoints", etc? On a positive note I have been pretty much maintaining my weight for months.

Sorry all, I must get to work. Later

Rie

Butterfly50
03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Good afternoon everyone. So I have been having a little problem and wanting to know if any of you have done this.

So I get up in the morning eat some days I don't eat a full breakfast. then by 12:30 1:00 I am feeling kinda off not dizzy but hazy and I feel nervous alot and my stomach aches some times it growls. I have went and checked my sugar and it is usually in the low 80 and I go eat something and I start to feel better. Does this sound like I am dropping too low . I have to go back to the dr soon and was wondering if it something I should make appointment early to go see them.

pattygirl63
03-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Good afternoon everyone. So I have been having a little problem and wanting to know if any of you have done this.

So I get up in the morning eat some days I don't eat a full breakfast. then by 12:30 1:00 I am feeling kinda off not dizzy but hazy and I feel nervous alot and my stomach aches some times it growls. I have went and checked my sugar and it is usually in the low 80 and I go eat something and I start to feel better. Does this sound like I am dropping too low . I have to go back to the dr soon and was wondering if it something I should make appointment early to go see them.

I did that one time taking Metformin and called the doc's office and was told that Metformin doesn't make the blood sugar drop like that and like you it wasn't all that low. They wanted me to come in and doc checked my heart and listened to my arteries (I assume) in my neck and sent me home saying I was fine and if I had any other problems call them. They changed nothing. I've since read that grapefruit can cause that when taking metformin, but pharmacist says I should be able to eat it. I've read that Metformin can cause blood sugar to rise or cause it to go down. I also read on line that chromium picolinate (sp) taken with Metformin can cause you to have a quick drop. Maybe Mad can add some of her medical knowledge here for us. However, if it happens more than once, I would call and report it to the doc and say what they say.

pattygirl63
03-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Wish I could say that I've been MIA because of all the things going on around here and there has been a lot lately, but I haven't been around because I've been so far off a healthy eating plan I was just too ashamed to even come around. I just went wild. I'm still doing WWP+ with IE, but not doing the IF with it. I may eat a little like IF, but not going to make it part of my plan. IE is more like the old WW Core plan which many of us combined with WW Flex plan and there are those on the WW website that do a combo of WWP+ and IE so I think that is the best way for me to go. Never hurts to learn to eat ONLY when hungry and to stop eating when satisfied. I just need the WW to help me stop eating junk foods.

I am also going to introduce Metformin back into my plan. Now that it is getting warmer, I think it would be nice to save my yogurt and milk to make into a shake and drink it before I go to bed and take the Metformin then.

DSIL's Mother and his son will fly into Charlotte late Friday night. They will be here until sometime Wednesday. I've got to work to get things ready on my part. DD told me not to worry about the house as they will get things ready which I personally think they should. I only plan to do my part of everything that I need to do any way. I have my ladies meeting at church Saturday. I'm speaking again this month because the lady who usually does it is having some health issues and is too depressed to do it. Sunday is church and Monday Tony has 2 doctor's appts. One is to get results of the endoscopy that he had this past Monday.

I really figured out how this is all going to work out with 2 more people in an already crowded house or how we are even going to feed them since I've been buying food for the past 2 weeks and have no more money to spend for groceries until we get paid again and then I can't feed 10 people and DD has lost her food stamps for some reason. It is all I can do to keep soy milk for the baby (he's allergic to milk), milk and cereal for the kids. I've had to make a rule that you don't go through all the food in one day when I buy it because they seem to think they have to eat it all now. Oh well, it will work out some how.

Anyway amoung all of this, I am back OP today.

Will have to read to catch up on what is going with everyone. Bible class tonight so will read and catch on y'all later.

fatmad
03-15-2012, 12:07 AM
Trish: shame and guilt are only useful if you use them to get back on plan. Then let it go. Because negative thinking makes it worse. Truly too, you have been all over the map with eating plans etc. It must be hard to make a plan and stick to it with everyone eating what you buy the minute you buy it. Take it easy, and don't beat yourself up. Hope you can find a little peace in the near future.
Bonnie: although the actual number on the meter is only 80, you probably need to eat. If you only have a little breakfast and feel crummy at lunch time with a growly stomach, I think you need to eat. If you are still dizzy and having problems after eating some lunch, then your doctor probably needs to check things out.
RIe: we really need to break out of this plateau. I am still at the same place at tonight's weigh-in, which is not surprising since I have not seen my own scale budging.
My plan is to reduce certain carbs and try to stick to my points. I have been enjoying the full range of foods allowed on ww, but I think I have been over doing it, and having too many grains and treats. Will reduce this, and up the veggies. I think that the grains have been part of my hunger, and will up the fat a bit as well. Its a bit counter-intuitive, but the grains just burn fast and leave me hungry. Its all whole grains, but even so, I think it may be my problem. My sugars have still been ok, but I think they might start to get worse if I don't mend my ways. so thats the plan this week to see if it helps with breaking my plateau.

ttfn friends.

fatmad
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM
fbs 5.1 today, about 95 in the US.
BOnnie: another thought on your dizziness. Your meter might say 80, (which is not high) but might be quite a bit lower. Meters are only guaranteed accurate to within 20% so an 80 may be as high as 96, or as low as 64! I know I did a fasting lab sugar once that was 3.8, but my meter was 4.7, so our meters are a guide, but not absolutely right. so if you have symptoms of low blood sugar, even if the meter doesn't quite agree, assume you are a bit low and eat.

Slept right through the big thunderstorms last night, but still waking up tired. Onward with the day

Ruthxxx
03-15-2012, 10:29 AM
Sorry I've been MIA but my PC croaked Monday morning and I've also been away in Ottawa. Spent a good 24 hours with my sister Joan which was loads of fun. We saw West Side Story at the National Arts Centre and had dinner there at the Cafe to celebrate my baby sister's 70th Birthday. I still can't believe how expensive the tickets were (over $500!) but ...

Weight still the same and BGL stable but my darn BP is running too low - 101/67, 93/65 and then 88/65 tested on a drugstore machine three days in a row. Methinks it's time to adjust the meds a bit. I'll check with the doc later today. (Right now I'm on Atacand and also a mild diuretic and think one of those has to go.) I never thought I'd be fretting about LOW BP!

Do enjoy your day whatever it brings. Now to read back and catch up!

pattygirl63
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Good Morning All,

I've decided that WW is something I will be using for a long time because I thought I had eaten more than I should have but keeping up with the pts, I found that I was only used 1 of my weekly pts. So I think that I need WW not only to keep myself accountable but also to help me see how much I am eating. Using Intuitive Eating so as to learn when I'm really hungry. This morning, I woke up and wanting a sausage-egg omlet with veggies. I like eggbeaters because I get equivalent to 2 eggs for 2 pts instead of 4 and use the Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles that has less fat and use half a serving for 1 pt and my veggies are 0 pts so I have 3 pts total for breakfast.
Yey!! So I've got day 1 behind me and a better day 2 lined up.

Exercise will getting things organized in my house getting ready for the week end with Richard's Mom and son.

Going to beauty shop this morning for touch up and hair cut.

Mad thanks for your advice.

Have a great day Everyone.

BBL

Riemontana
03-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Hello friends!

fbs at 75 this morning and my weight is the same. Last night, a friend of mine (who is about 65 yrs old) walked into the pool room with a limp. He was diagnosed a few months ago with diabetes when he started to have vision failure due to the disease. As I spoke to him last night, he told me that he had a stroke on Sunday. He is doing well but the whole thing is scary. I remember being confused when he and his wife were telling me, "he can basically eat anything... he just has to watch his portions". Apparently, his sugars have remained moderately high and very high in the mornings..... It made me very sad. On a positive note, he has now become a patient of my dr - one of the top endocrine docs in this whole area. I hope my friend recovers now.

It kind of scared me..... My bs came under immediate control with diet and exercise. Sometimes I wonder - did I just get really lucky? This is a scary and capricious disease.:?:

Ruth, it is good news that your blood pressure is down now but we don't want you tipping over! I hope you hear from the dr soon.

Trish, I am really sorry about your situation. I have to say that I am pretty appalled that other relatives would descend on you. Isn't there a nearby hotel? I am glad that you are back. Please don't let shame or guilt keep you away - it just makes everything worse.

Mad, I have become convinced that the only way that I can get this weight off is to exercise it off. I plan to start slow walking this weekend with a brace on my knee. Good Luck!

Bonnie, I agree with mad that your meter may not be entirely accurate. I also know that when my bs started staying routinely under 90, I would occasionally get a little light headed. My doc told me that it was because I wasn't used to it. In time, it got better. The good news is that your bs is down there!

Gotta go.

Rie

Butterfly50
03-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Yeah I can now fit into my 24 's. I am soo happy. I must sit down tonight and make me a routine out and let everyone know this is the way it is so I can get back 100% I like this feeling of wearing cloths that I never thought I could get back into.

I do agree 100% about the meters So when I feel like that I go eat and I am feeling better shortly after it. I must get into waking up early again this time change has me soo messed up. But I will prevail.. Thanks for the responses I got from the question I posted still kinda new at all this . Well I must run dd has a dr apt in 1 1/2 hrs and its 30 minutes away. Till later..

fatmad
03-15-2012, 10:13 PM
RIe: I am sorry about your friend, sounds like he didn't get good advice or take advice about controlling blood sugars, and thats where we get if we don't work at controlling our sugars. You didn't just get lucky, diet and exercise and for some of us meds, can really manage this well most of the time. I think the other key is a good health care provider who takes it seriously and helps with meds when needed. I am still officially not diabetic, but my doc was willing to look at the research I brought in about metformin helping to keep those of us who are "prediabetic" or glucose intolerant, from becoming diabetic and having the detrimental effects of the disease. Not everyone does their homework, and count on others to watch their backs. It doesn't always work.
We here are learning to take responsibility for ourselves, for the diabetes, for our diets, our health. Its not easy, but its worth it. YOu are doing a great job.

I had a rough day, a co-worker brought cut limes to add to the food she brought to potluck, and in spite of being reminded of my serious allergy to citrus, proceeded to squirt it all over her salad, and onto me and my food!
I rushed to the washroom to wash it off, she says she apologized, (I didn't hear it with my head in the sink) but she sure didn't ask if I was ok or anything. Very frustrating, and the rest of us have agreed to ban all citrus from the office. I have been having difficulty with this colleague about some other stuff, and we are actually in mediation, but I am sure not feeling great about working with her these days. Fortunately the others in the practice are really caring and supportive. With their blessing, I will be taking some time off on Saturday to go to see Dad and place flowers on Mum's grave on the 2nd anniversary of her death. This is really caring and i so appreciate it.

The weather continues to be lovely, so I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Ruthxxx
03-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Just a :wave: this morning. It's gym morning and I must eat before I go. Happy TGIF, everyChick!

fatmad
03-16-2012, 09:46 AM
fbs 5.2 this am. weight same. in a holding pattern I guess. At least I am not gaining. Going for a walk in a bit with DH and the dog, since it is warm. Will likely rain later, so wanna get out there soon.
A few hives this morning too after the lime incident yesterday.
Ruth, have a good gym morning, and Rie, hope you can do some stuff inspite of the knee. be gentle!

Riemontana
03-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Hello all.

fbs at 76 this morning and my weight is still holding.:( I have a day of paperwork ahead of me.

Mad, I am horrified at the behavior of your coworker. Glad about the citrus ban. I was thinking about you yesterday. I signed up for Hot Yoga classes here because there was one of those "deal of the day" things for a local studio. 20 sessions for $25. I figure if I hate it, its only $25. What does one wear to these classes?

Ruth, enjoy the gym, I envy you.

Bonnie, great job on the NSV. You are back!

Trish, I hope that you are heading into the weekend with minimal stress. Hoping that it all goes well with your company.

Rie

pattygirl63
03-16-2012, 01:09 PM
A quick flyby here as I'm busy getting my part of housework done. Good for me to do (exercise) last load of clothes in the dryer, still have half the living room furniture to wax. The kids will do the vaccuming and oldest DGS has been cleaning the kitchen so I have minimum things to do in there that boys don't think of. I'll leave sweeping and mopping of kitchen and dining room to them. I bought the stuff and they can do it.

Good news is thing is that they got their foods stamps restarted and I guess when they saw how much DSIL pays in the child support they gave them more so that is really good and will help us a lot.

On the other hand, I think we are going to have to dip into DH retirement again and purchase a new refrigerator since none of the little tricks worked. DSIL went by the appliance store and he said he could probably fix the dryer which DH doesn't want to spend the money for the part and it be something else. So not sure what we are going to do about that yet. Will see when DH gets up.

Mad - I can't believe that someone could be so insensitive. :hug:Hope the hives don't last very long and you are better soon.

Rie - Thanks for thinking of me. I'm actually doing pretty good. Take it easy on your knees. I work a a bit and then when my back starts hurting, I take a break until it feels better and I get back to cleaning again.

Ruthie and Bonnie and others -:wave:

Have a great Friday and if I don't get back here this week end... Y'all have a good one!!!

Butterfly50
03-16-2012, 11:20 PM
so I am trying to decide how to set up a routine for me that I will have time to work out and do everything I need to do a day. I want to get back a 100 %. Been feeling a little depressed today cause not being able to do as I need to. Is their any where on the net you can copy out a chart to keep track of your daily sugar levels. My book they gave me is full.

pattygirl63
03-16-2012, 11:44 PM
so I am trying to decide how to set up a routine for me that I will have time to work out and do everything I need to do a day. I want to get back a 100 %. Been feeling a little depressed today cause not being able to do as I need to. Is their any where on the net you can copy out a chart to keep track of your daily sugar levels. My book they gave me is full.

Bonnie - Try this website...

http://www.type2diabetesguide.com/free-diabetic-log-sheets.shtml

Ruthxxx
03-17-2012, 07:54 AM
Happy St Patrick's Day - even if you aren't Irish like me. I am celebrating with a bit of Bailey's in my coffee - BGL was 3.7 (66.6) this morning and this is a good way to bring it up a tad. I will also have a proper breakfast.

Bit of a scare at the gym yesterday as I got dizzy on the treadmill and had to get off. My BP had dropped too low. Went to the doc and he adjusted my meds down a bit. Strange after so many years of struggling to get the BP down but losing weight has finally caught up to me. I go back again on the 27th for bloodwork and a follow-up appointment.

Corned beef is burbling away in the large crockpot. I'm having six people for dinner and am hoping they eat it all because leftovers screw with my weight. I may send the leftovers home with my guests.

A glorious Saturday of sun and warm temps is unfolding and I'm planning to spend as much time as possible outside enjoying it! I hope you can do the same.

fatmad
03-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Happy St Patrick's Day - even if you aren't Irish like me. I am celebrating with a bit of Bailey's in my coffee - BGL was 3.7 (66.6) this morning and this is a good way to bring it up a tad. I will also have a proper breakfast.

Corned beef is burbling away in the large crockpot. I'm having six people for dinner and am hoping they eat it all because leftovers screw with my weight. I may send the leftovers home with my guests.

What a fun way to bring up your fbs! You naughty thing, drinking in the morning! And don't weigh yourself for at least 2 days after the salty corned beef, you know its just water weight!

My fbs was 4.6 today, so quite pleased. I haven't gained in spite of the snack monster getting hold of me last night, DH had salty and yummy peanuts out. No matter that they are "healthier" than chips, they are as addictive and difficult to portion.
Going to Niagara today to be with Dad, its the day my mother, Peggy died, so we now call it St Peggy's day, I expect that is how I will always see today now.

Rie: tips for hot yoga. Dress very light, just shorts and a tank. Take a towel to put on your yoga matt, and another handtowel to wipe sweat from your brow. Drink water before, have a jug with you, and plan more afterward. Always take the beginner version of a pose until you know them well and are comfy. If you can't work it, let the instructor come to you to help. They are usually good with newbies. And from one person with knee problems to another, be cognizant of the knees at all times. THe balancing poses are good for strengthening the small supporting muscles. Also, keep a folded strap handy. I put a strap folded over, in the crease of my knee in poses that have me kneeling etc, and the extra space that gives helps a lot.
Sometimes they go quite quick and you don't have to do every bit. If you get overheated or dizzy, (not unusual until you get more used to it) have a drink and lay down for a bit. I probably did 10 classes before I could get through one without taking extra breaks. Its not a competition. I hope you like it!

Trish, hope the visit goes well and the finances work out for you all, its a lot to handle, so hope your eating goes well.

Hey to Bonnie, good work!
hello to everyone else, have a happy saturday

Butterfly50
03-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Thanks Trish I download and saved it. Thats what I was looking for. Thanks Everyone I hope to find everyone here doing good today. The kids and grands will be in tomorrow morning but have to cut it short they have to leave Tues night he has to get back to texas and sign in . But two days is better then none.. I will try to check in later..

Riemontana
03-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Just a quick post:

fbs at 78 this morning and my heavy weight is still holding....

Off to the parade and celtic bazaar.

Rie

pattygirl63
03-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Richard's Mom and son are here and everything is pretty good so far. eally is a nice lady and we do enjoy being around her. She and her husband always have us to their house or take us out for a meal when we used to go to FL. I just wasn't sure we had room for everyone, but they seem to have worked it out very nicely. I think we are going out to eat after DH and I get home from church. We had planned to take everyone out while she's here, but once all these other things came up, we weren't sure we could. DD had come down and told us she had pretty much decided that she would make a buffet while we're at church in the morning. I had told her I had some stuff she could use too. But she came back down and said that DSIL Mom is insisting on taking us all out to eat when we get home from church. She said she was going to do it because we were nice enough to let her come and stay in our home all this time. So I think Tony and I are going to either go half or when we get to the restaurant Tony will pull a sneaky on her and pay for it himself. I think it is nice of her to offer.

Well, I ordered my new refrigerator by phone last night to be sure I could get it sooner from Home Depot and picked up the paper work this morning. I wanted to go pick one out and have it delivered today or tomorrow, but .DH wanted a larger refrigerator and found a 29.1 cu.ft., but it had to be special ordered and one place was going to take about a week because they wouldn't know until Monday how long it would take to get it. I had already seen the same one Home Depot to see when it would be available from them. They had 4 in their warehouse and could deliver it in 4 days. So I bought it right then. It will be here Wednesday.

Eating has been kind of wild today. But not terribly bad.

Till tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
03-18-2012, 08:01 AM
I ignored the scale this morning because I had a goodly serving of corned beef last night and know the weight is up. FBGL was a good 4.1. Claire graciously took the rest of the corned beef home with her for lunches for the grands this week.

No Church this morning as our minister is very ill. I am going to soak in the tub with a book for a while and plan my day. It's going to be up to 72F today and the same for most of the week so it's time to crank up outside work. Such an early Spring! At the end of March last year the ground was still frozen solid and the dog yard was a frozen lake.

Not sure about food yet for the day but am thinking a shrimp stir-fry with no soy sauce as I think I'm salty enough! Ten more minutes until the sun comes up. I may throw on my coat, get another coffee and enjoy the unfolding of this glorious day.

chipper15173
03-18-2012, 09:21 AM
good morning...
just pulled out the winter bin and spring/summer bin. packed up all the winter clothes, threw out the ones i know i won't wear next year. tried on the spring/summer and was surprised at the amount that fit, or should fit toward the end of summer. not much went back into the bin. so pleased. may visit the bin again in a few more months.

redecorated son's living room yesterday for his birthday(last month). we planned for two days, but, finished it in one. DD, DH, and i painted, hung new curtains and did some repairs, shampooed carpets. this was that trailer he bought a year ago for $1000. took him 6 months to rewire, re-plumb the place. he knew we were coming, but, he came to our house to sleep(he works nights). so it was a surprise. maybe it will give him incentive to finish the rest. he is hoarder of trash. i doesn't have much stuff, it's trash. he still had Christmas boxes on the floor in the kitchen. i guess i made him clean his room too much when he was little. or he has a fear of some sort. hummmm may have to think on that one.
well off to check out a new store "ollies".
have a good one

fatmad
03-18-2012, 11:19 AM
HI all, just a quick hello, sounds like people are doing well. I like the mental picture of Ruth wrapped in a blanket watching the sunrise. Its already 15 degrees here and getting warmer by the moment, so will have a lovely sunny day. Planning yard work today too. Just a clean up for now. Also getting ready for landscaping the back yard.
Gonna have a clean eating day, after indulging yesterday. (but not overeating!)
ttfn

Riemontana
03-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Good Morning!

fbs at 80 this morning. My weight is still dropping by ounces. I indulged a little yesterday at the parade. Not much exciting here.... just a day of rest.

Trish, I am glad that the visit is going well. I think it would be nice of her to buy you guys a meal.

Ruth, I love the image of you out watching the sun come up. It is also in the high 60's here this weekend. I sunburned the top of my head yesterday at the parade???

Chipper, I doubt that anything you did would cause your ds to hoard stuff. It is a pretty well-defined illness. Or, he could just be a messy guy ;)

Mad, enjoy the day in the yard. We did cleanup yesterday. All that spring air is good for the mood, mind, and body.

Later!

Rie

pattygirl63
03-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Quick flyby. So glad everyone is doing so well. I've had a great day today. Went to church and then out to eat and DSIL's Mom did insist on paying. I hated for her to pay for it all as it was very expensive. However, she said that it was the least we could since we were kind enough to let the kids live here. Things have been extremely nice with her here. Haven't seen DSIL DS as he is spending a lot of time with his Dad.

Eating has actually been OP but I must have gotten a lot of salt as I'm retaining a lot of water right now. So will have to hit the water a lot to flush it out.

Chipper good to see you here. Everybody have a nice evening.

fatmad
03-19-2012, 09:26 AM
quick hello this am. fbs 4.8 so am doing well there. Seem to do better with not eating in the evening. Had the neighbours over for supper, such a lovely visit, and was able to control points by serving many veggies and avoiding potatoes. Left me points for a small dessert as it was the husband's birthday. Planning for yoga tonight. Had lots of walking this weekend. Weight is a steady 172, but no signs of dropping, hoping for a whoosh someday soon.
Happy Monday friends, I'm off to work.

Riemontana
03-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Good Morning!

fbs at 89? this morning. Not bad but up a little from my usual. I lifted weights for exercise.

We are in the middle of a big spring snow storm today. About 4 inches of wet sticky stuff on the ground. I have to drive about 20 miles this morning to speak at a high school.

Sorry, no time for personals this morning.

Rie

pattygirl63
03-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Another quick flyby. Eating has not been too bad but not as good as I would like especially today. DM of DSIL cooked and then they wanted me to taste and eat with them. I've not spent a lot of time with all of them so she could have time with them so I agreed to sit with them, eat a small amount of the pasta dish she cooked and visit. Really enjoyed it. She is really fun to be with. She wants to have coffee with me tomorrow and the two of us have girl talk time so will do thll.at with her. She is a speach therapist in public school so she has been working with baby Jaxxon while here and teaching Richard and April how to get him to ask for things he wants instead of throwing a fit and telling them how they must respond. As I've watched her, I too have learned some things as well that will help re-inforce some of the things I've been teaching him. I don't see DS son much, but it has turned out that having his DM here has been a real blessing and a pleasure. I am glad.

Good night till tomorrow.

Ruthxxx
03-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Patty, you deserve blessings and pleasures. I'm glad the visit is working out well.

Well, the weight is still here so I am not posting my lying ticker for a while. I seem to be back at 180 again although FBGL is fine. I have another cold and was wide awake all Sunday night which meant yesterday was a lost day. I had a good solid ten hours of zzzzzzzz last night though which should make today a lot better. It's Good Food Box morning which usually inspires me to plan more veggies. Last night was a ww pita pizza and was a bit sparse on the veggies and a bit high on sodium. (Olives and carpers once again!) Today will be better.

fatmad
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
fbs 4.9 this morning, I am staying under 5 more of the time, so am really happy bout that. However, last night, DH made tacos. I have been having allergy troubles and think that corn may be a problem, so instead of having a corn taco shell, I made a taco salad and used some yummy bread rusks to dip.
pc sugar was 8.1, yup, white bread still give me a big spike. 2 hours after eating so high.
I did get to yoga yesterday, so did something well!
Off to work, then mediating with my difficult colleague. Hope it goes ok.

DiabeticDiva
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Red my bs was in the 200's the same as yours and I'm also on Metformin. I couldn't tolerate the 500mg twice a day it made me sick so I went to 500mg a day and now I'm up to 1 1/2 (750mg) a day and doing fine on that. Your bs could go up from being sick and not eating. Stress from that can also make it go up. As you lose weight your bs will go down. I was on WW last year and couldn't work my way around the point system with my diabetes but this year they calculate carbs into the points so it's a breeze for me. My weight is dropping and so is my blood sugar!!! yay! It's gone from the 230's to the 140's after just losing approx. 13 lbs. When I was first diagnosed I tested religiously right before I ate and 2 hours after. I knew what foods made me spike and what foods were ok. I used to be able to eat oatmeal but with no toast or toast only with peanut butter on it or egg beaters (love the southwestern) with a sprinkle of parm cheese on top. This year I notice oatmeal makes me spike so farting around with not watching what I eat etc has done some damage to my insulin production. Test often to find out what foods do what and have a snack before bed! If you don't your body will think it's being starved by about 3 or 4 am and your bs will increase. That's called the dawn phenomenon. 5 saltine crackers is only (2 points) topped with 2 T of peanut butter (6 pts) on them will hold you over or 2 sheets of graham crackers and 1/2 c. FF milk. I'm hoping to be off meds by the time I hit 130! Long way off but it's my long term goal.

DiabeticDiva
03-20-2012, 09:53 AM
I have a question for anyone on Weight Watchers actually. I used to be on the south beach diet and when we calculated the carbs we subtracted any sugar alcohol that was in the food from the carbs to get a new total carb count. Are we suppose to do that in WW also when we're putting info into the tracker to find the points? I realize the new WW program for this year includes carbs into the calculations but I just wondered if when I'm entering the carbs for sugar free foods I should subtract the sugar alcohols first from the total carbs.

geoblewis
03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Good morning ladies,

I'm officially joining your group. I think the denial stage that I have diabetes (type 2) is over and I am surrendering to having to deal with it head on. My pseudo low-carb eating and exercise are no longer doing what I wanted them to do. I can't rely on Intermittent Fasting any more because it seems I'm one of those people with Dawn Phenomenon that will last all day if I keep up with a 24-hour fast. At least my Paleolithic diet philosophies are still serving a purpose of keeping my carbs low, but I'm having to cut way back on my protein intake because that seems to affect my blood sugars too.

I've been on Met ER for almost two weeks and I'm not-so-patiently waiting for it to kick in. I've been making myself crazy with experimenting and testing (my fingers hurt!) but I think I see the pattern that's working for me. Small meals with no more than 5 net grams of carbohydrate, 15 grams of protein and 15 grams of fat, about four hours apart. I can do Pilates in the mornings and evenings and cardio in the middle of the day for a longer stretch.

It would be nice if I could put together a daily routine and stick to it. Maybe make my life a little less manic in the face of all of this. And to start to lose weight again. Such slow progress!

Looking forward to connecting more with all of you. Thanks for all the pearls of wisdom you've shared so far.

**Forgot to add...fbs at 148 this morning. I know, we're working on it!

Riemontana
03-20-2012, 12:26 PM
Good Morning!

fbs at 80 this morning after struggling with a low episode last night. My supper carbs were broccoli salad and a little fresh corn. I had two glasses of wine at pool and came home to test and find dropping blood sugar. It was a good lesson to me because as I was pulling into my yard, I wondered, "how do I have a swimming head on a little wine?!" From now on, if I am out and I have a little wine, I will test before I drive.:( I think it was probably in the process of dropping as I headed home because my symptoms literally started when I was arriving home. Anyway, I will be more careful in the future. My weight is continuing to drop by ounces and heading toward my ticker so I will leave it alone for a few more days....

Trish, I am so glad that you are having a good visit! You deserve it!

Ruth I join you in the ticker trouble:mad: I don't understand how just a little off plan can result in such large gains.... It doesn't make sense!

Mad, I can't handle white bread, either. I don't even try anymore. I sure miss it sometimes.... I will be thinking of you today as you do the mediation. Hoping that it all goes well.

Diva, yup, that small carb+protein snack at night is the only thing that keeps my morning numbers down. I actually think it helps me sleep and control my weight. Nice to see you.

Georgia, :hug: WELCOME! After I was diagnosed, I spent a while lurking here. I was hiding the fact that I had diabetes from the world and I didn't want to join. But, this group has been so helpful to me and it is an important part of my daily routine. Remember that moderate exercise is all that you need. We are glad to have you.

Gotta go to work but forgive me for one little brag: my pool team won the division championship last night. It was really cool!

Rie

DiabeticDiva
03-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Learned of a no brainer recently. I have very painful feet so walking is very hard for me as a form of activity. I saw on another website someone suggested just sitting with hand held weights and using those while watching tv. It doesn't matter what muscles you're working as long as you're doing something. As my daughter would say' Duh! I tried it and my sugar went down after 10 minutes of just lowering and raising my arms with 2 lb weights in each hand. Something so simple.

geoblewis
03-20-2012, 09:12 PM
More testing today. I went to low-impact cardio this morning. Tested before...144. Tested after...151. Tested an hour after that...117. Later in the day I drank a big cup of iced coffee with half-n-half and ate 2 oz of lean beef, then tested an hour after that...161. Then I ran some errands and tested two hours after that...126.

I am all over the place! How do you keep from this sort of thing making you nuts and questioning everything you do, or don't do? How would you interpret all of this?

I'm quite hungry now. Planning to have a nice salad and some Petrale sole for dinner in a little bit. And before bed, celery and almond butter. I'm curious about which one affects me more.

fatmad
03-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Diva: good for you for finding a way to exercise. Are your feet painful from diabetes? Do B supplements help at all?
Georgia: how long after something are you testing? Look at diabetes 101 for a good explanation about why we raise our blood sugar temporarily after strenuous exercise: the body is releasing sugar to feed the muscles. However, it will drop fairly quickly as the exercise helps reduce the insulin resistance and the glucose can get into our cells better. So don't fret that bs is higher after exercise, note how well it dropped afterward!
AS to the coffee, I assume it wasn't sweetened, or was sweetened with equal or splenda, but the caffeine alone may release blood sugar. Mostly you should be checking 2 hours from the start of the meal or snack, use the one hour testing only if you think necessary. Mostly, the goal 2 hours after is 7 mmol or under, which is 126 in the US. So you ARE getting there. It WILL take some time.
I am really glad you are joining us and working to get your sugars under control, its great!
Rie: were you drinking dry white wine? how dramatic! Hope the pool game was fun!
Trish: hope the visit continues to be good. Blessings on you making room in your already busy home.

Took my daughter out for her birthday supper tonight. THe weather is so warm, and its the first day of spring. We would never have dreamed of going out to a patio to eat on her birthday before. DOn't know if it will ever happen again, but we did enjoy it. She is experimenting with vegetarianism again, so I am testing her iron levels. Interfering mother!
I am finishing my ww week with 14 leftover weekly points and didn't touch my activity points, and had activity every day of the week. Not an ounce of gain or loss as far as I can tell.

By the way Diva: I have not seen actual formulas for calculating foods with sugar alcohols, but it would look like you don't use those carbs, you subtract them from the total carbs. ( The booklet I have just suggests checking foods on the online tracker, but checking one of the foods I had recently, that appears to be the way to figure it out. )

Big hello to Ruth, and hope to see the ticker return soon.

Have a good evening friends

geoblewis
03-21-2012, 03:37 AM
I want to get nosy here...how many meals are you eating and how big are your meals? And do you eat on a schedule?

Riemontana
03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Hello friends!

fbs at 83 this morning. My weight is still stalled. I did 40 minutes of Walkitout. I feel pretty good in the midst of a very busy week.

Mad, I was drinking white zinfandel - two smallish glasses. I am thinking I just need to be more aware. I have been joking lately that I get dizzy on a little wine and I am wondering if I just need to test at these times. Certainly before I drive. :?: Actually, my pool team won the division championship Monday night. Thanks! Keep being an interfering mother!

Diva, good for you on finding a way to exercise without hurting your feet. U tube even has videos on how to exercise in a chair.

Georgia, it sounds like you are testing a lot. Chart it all so you find the patterns. Here is my menu from yesterday: BR: 1/2c fiber one cereal, 1/2c unsweetened almond breeze (measured to ensure portions), one sliced apple with 2 tbs peanut butter 2 (defatted peanut butter powder) LU: 1/2 plate green salad with a little oil/vinegar, 2/3c green beans, 2/3c tomato soup Su: grilled chicken breast, cucumber slices, 1/2 roasted potato, broccoli salad Snack: 1/2c cottage cheese with 1/2 fiber one. This was a pretty typical day although sometimes I do have a protein at lunch. Typically, I use the plating method and fill at least half of my plate with green (or low carb) veggies. When I am hungry, I eat those until I am full.

They were baking bread at my work all afternoon yesterday. It was brutal and so hard to resist but I did. I am the director of a juvenile facility with really wonderful food. It is often a challenge. Lots of treats and teen friendly foods. I usually do ok but the bread is always so hard to resist! Tonight is my little cousins birthday party. They are serving pumpkin pie at her request. I will simply have a small slice and enjoy! I hope this helps...

Trish, Ruth, I hope you are having a great week. Later!

Rie

pattygirl63
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Well, company is gone. I have to say that I truly enjoyed visiting with DSIL's Mom. She is a speech therapist with teens and special needs kids so she wore DGS out because everything they did was a teaching experience for him and for me. I knew a lot and already did some things that I guess just comes naturally to me, but I learned a whole lot more. I think it will make more of my time with him "quality" tme.

Tried to get online a few times today, but couldn't. Not sure why my pc was acting up. May have to make some changes in where I keep it. Will see.

Diva - Thanks for sharing about the exercise idea. I try to be more active and have often thought of using the weights when watching tv. I'll have to start doing that. It's better than eating or doing nothing.LOL

geoblewis - I eat 2 meals and 1 or 2 small snacks. I don't eat until around 1 or 2 in the afternoon just because that is what works for me and what keeps my FBS normal.

A very interesting thing has happened with my eating. I have ended up doing IF (Intermittent Fasting) only because it comes "natural" to me I guess because I ate that way growing up. I do it without even trying to eat that way. FBS is 119 or lower since I eat this way. So I'm going to just go for it.

Ruthie, Mad, Rie, Bonnie and other's reading Hi!:wave:

fatmad
03-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Happy weigh in day for me, was down a pound at ww and on my own scale today! not quite a whoosh, but an improvement. Very busy office day, but got through it. I didn't get to yoga, so will try to get on the treadmill this evening while watching tv. That will take some real effort, but I do want to be active.
WIll do personals later, ttfn

geoblewis
03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Trish, I wish I could continue with IF. I simply don't get hungry in the mornings and can easily wait till an eating window from 2 to 9 pm. But I was easily overeating during that time as well and now know that I'm plagued with the dawn phenomenon.

Yesterday and today I had my simple little breakfast of protein, veg and a little fat. I was able to stick to a smallish lunch and a bigger dinner (again, that's my natural eating window), but I did keep to lower calories (carbs and protein) overall for two days. And my blood sugar is starting to stay under 150. I look forward to weighing in tomorrow!

I decided not to test so much from now on. It's not about the testing, just like it's not about getting on the scale. It's about what I'm doing to make the good numbers happen. Going to stick to fbs and two hours after each meal. That's enough!

Ruthxxx
03-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Good morning. Georgia, stick with it and it will soon become natural and won't need as much testing.

I must admit I've never tested more than first thing in the morning unless I'm feeling weird - and then it's never from BGL problems. :shrug:

FBGL was 4.2 this morning. When working at the Clinic yesterday, I got a quickie HA1C test with the new machine and am 5.8 so I guess I'm doing something right. The sodium from the weekend is still with me - I may have to admit it's real weight and change my ticker. :(

Glorious sunny and warm days here which are going to go back to normal on the weekend but I've sure enjoyed being outside in this bonus "summer".

fatmad
03-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Weight is still below 172, but I will wait and see it if stays off before I change the ticker. Oh how I hope to be under 170 soon. HOpe I can bring Rie and Ruth with me!
I ate the points this week, but fewer grains. Will assume that is a part of it.

Riemontana
03-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Quick post: fbs at 85 despite desert last night. Weight is still up.

Yay Mad! please take me with you!!!!!!

Sorry, site visit today at my work. 15 people from Wyoming here for the next 24 hours. I will try to post later.

Rie

geoblewis
03-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Fbs is 136 this morning...how early do you get up to test it? Because I'm just figuring out that it seems to matter and that I need to eat something pretty quickly too. But getting up this early will certainly help me not overeat at breakfast because I'm not hungry at all!

I was reading Dr. Bernstein's book yesterday, the part about timing exercise around dawn phenomenon. It says to wait three hours. That means I have to start waking up earlier in order to go exercise if I'm to keep my bg lower than 170 during exercise.

Ugh...I just want to go back to bed!

pattygirl63
03-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Trish, I wish I could continue with IF. I simply don't get hungry in the mornings and can easily wait till an eating window from 2 to 9 pm. But I was easily overeating during that time as well and now know that I'm plagued with the dawn phenomenon.

Yesterday and today I had my simple little breakfast of protein, veg and a little fat. I was able to stick to a smallish lunch and a bigger dinner (again, that's my natural eating window), but I did keep to lower calories (carbs and protein) overall for two days. And my blood sugar is starting to stay under 150. I look forward to weighing in tomorrow!

I decided not to test so much from now on. It's not about the testing, just like it's not about getting on the scale. It's about what I'm doing to make the good numbers happen. Going to stick to fbs and two hours after each meal. That's enough!

Georgia - I think when dealing with diabetes it is sooo important to learn what works for us individually. For me, my FBS is always too high in the mornings when I first get up, by waiting until I'm hungryany where from 1 or 2 pm, it is always normal. I do try to eat more healthy foods and it works for me. That doesn't mean it works fro someone else. When I first started out upon this diabetic journey, I tested after everything I ate and found that just because another diabetic could eat a certain food didn't mean that I could and vice versa. This is a learning experience for all of us and we have to find works for us individually. Before I was ever married, a diabetic or even overweight, I ate the way people eat on IF. It is a "natural" way for me to eat. I eat this way when we travel and I always lose weight on vacation rather than gain which should have been a clue to me. We just haven't been taught to look for what works for us. My doc told me that any "diet" would work and that the key is to find the one that you can live with. I figure why not go with the one that works for me and that I can live with. Good luck on your journey and finding what works for you.

fatmad
03-22-2012, 09:48 PM
You know, reading posts from people who are doing IF or spreading meals out, I realise that I am still suffering from the hypoglycemia I had before I was pre-diabetic, although it doesn't always show up of the meter. I think I said I once did a meter test during a blood draw, and the lab blood sugar was 3.1 and the meter was 4.6 and I have to wonder about my real sugars when I feel low.
I get nauseous and shaky when hungry at times. And ravenous, and I have gotten used to my regular meals, I almost panic when I can't eat when I want or need it. I was thinking it was a psychological thing, but now I think it may have to do with hypoglycemia, and my meter doesn't pick up the lows very well.

Riemontana
03-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Mad, I don't really get hungry when I am low but I get the shaky, dizzy, weak feeling sometimes if I don't eat regularly. Even though technically not low, below about 74 doesn't feel good to me. I am typically at 80 - 85 pre-meal so that isn't much of a range. The diabetes people don't really believe me that it makes me feel that way.... I wonder if I am actually lower and the meter is off? Interesting question. I really feel the best when I eat timely and appropriate meals with an evening snack. (how boring!)

Rie

geoblewis
03-23-2012, 01:29 AM
When my blood sugar drops I get very clumsy. But sometimes that happens now and I take a reading and I'm in the 120s or 130s. There have been times recently that I've tested in the 80s and felt just fine. I'm still all over the place with my numbers.

I'm in L.A. for the weekend. Needed time away from home. There's a spa at the hotel...plan to test my bg after a massage!

Ruthxxx
03-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Bless me sisters for I have sinned! I don't know what came over me but I ate a Tim Horton's donut at the Fair Board meeting last night. I think it was because I had a cruddy supper. Must fire the cook! I expected a high FBGL this morning but it was 4.2 so I lucked out. (Yes, it was delicious!)

Back on track this morning with strawberries and Fibre1 with yogurt and then a session at the gym. I also go to the Clinic for foot care. My feet are in pretty good shape but my doctor likes them checked by the footcare nurse anyhow. I consider it a sort of free pedicure. I still can't convince her to put on nail polish though! Does anyone else get their feet checked?

Happy TGIF!

pattygirl63
03-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Good morning chickies.

Ruthie - Love the avatar. You are so cute and funny. Thanks for the chuckle. Remember one splurge isn't a problem unless it becomes a habit.:hug: As for foot care? Doc did a foot check when DH had his physical so I assume he will do the same when I have mine next time I go as I am scheduled for a physical. I also have a pedicure once a month to take care of my feet as well. Never had the pedicures until after I became diabetic.

I started taking my Metformin in the evening around 7ish and take the B vitamin, an OTC product for leg cramps, calcium and the CoQ 10. I'm taking a B vitamin 3x a day since the doctor says the body throws off the access. So far so good keeping the leg cramps under control and it continues to work for me.

Dryer yelling at me so I got to hang the clothes.

Hope everyone has a great day today.

BBL

geoblewis
03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Wait...we can come here for diabetes confessional? Cool! Yesterday I drove for seven hours to L.A. and I ate a turkey and Swiss sandwich from Starbuck's for lunch and a McDonalds double cheessburger and small fries for dinner after I arrived...and didn't test bg afterwards!

Oh! I feel...still regretful. Humph!

Fbg 143 this morning. I actually got up at 6 to test it, then came down for breakfast in the hotel club lounge, all they have is sugary carby stuff and cold cuts and cheese. And an espresso machine! I brought some cooked chard and kale and I'm about to go back to my room and have a bit of it.

I think I'll take a long slow walk this morning, along the marina. I like to look at the sailboats. Hope you have a lovely day!

pattygirl63
03-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Just have to share this. My FBG was 95 mg today. I am so excited as I think this is the firsI time I've been under 100 mg.

geoblewis
03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Trish! That is so awesome!
(I'm so jealous!)

pattygirl63
03-23-2012, 08:01 PM
awe Georgia don't be. It's taken me a good 2 years to find my way to this poing. You will find yours too. Have a nice weekend.

pattygirl63
03-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Wait...we can come here for diabetes confessional? Cool! Yesterday I drove for seven hours to L.A. and I ate a turkey and Swiss sandwich from Starbuck's for lunch and a McDonalds double cheessburger and small fries for dinner after I arrived...and didn't test bg afterwards!

Oh! I feel...still regretful. Humph!

Fbg 143 this morning. I actually got up at 6 to test it, then came down for breakfast in the hotel club lounge, all they have is sugary carby stuff and cold cuts and cheese. And an espresso machine! I brought some cooked chard and kale and I'm about to go back to my room and have a bit of it.

I think I'll take a long slow walk this morning, along the marina. I like to look at the sailboats. Hope you have a lovely day!

Yes, we can confess, blow off steam whatever. You have no idea how many times I have done that. This is a great support group to share how we are feeling.

chipper15173
03-24-2012, 07:11 AM
morning.....
well, doctor released me and my shoulder. i can't swing arm above head. can stretch above head. start lifting weights at 5 to 10#s. that surprised me. can't do pull downs. unless elbow is at shoulder height. zumba is much better now that i can use it most of the time.
i also installed a new app on my phone for my running/walking. it's runkeeper. this was yesterdays stats.

completed a 2.93 mi run with RunKeeper
Duration 0:46:43 | Calories Burned 301

next i want to try it with my chest strap and see if the HRM will work with it.

granddaughters have their first soccer game today.

hope you all have a great day. tummy grumbling. going to get some breakfast and coffee

fatmad
03-24-2012, 09:29 AM
reading the recent posts sure made me smile today, from Rie complaining about being "boring" for having regular meals, to Ruth's and Georgia's confessions, Trishes under 100 and chippers shoulder improvement.
Way to go everyone.
I too get to share happy news, am under 171 today! I am still a bit nervous to change the ticker, but have been under 172 since Wednesday, so just say I am superstitious. I went out in the night yesterday, it was supposed to be a day off, but the oncall midwives were slammed and a beloved repeat client went into labour, so I agreed to attend her, and we had a lovely baby boy after a nice normal labour. But being up most of the night, I was tired, and had lots of plans for the day. Took the car in, and bravely had the snow tires taken off (I rarely do this before mid June, hope it wasn't too soon!), then a massage and then to the spa for waxing and mani and pedicures. I don't see anyone special for my feet yet, but I think as we get older and if we are also diabetic, its really important. Seeing my administrator's husband having small amputations sure makes me know that I don't want to get to THAT point.
And Georgia, yes bs will be higher after a massage, just like exercise, that muscle work will release glucose into your blood stream, but its normal so not to worry. ENjoy the massage, mine was great. I am fortunate in that my allied health covers some massage. Turns out with our health care plan, midwives use the medical coverage about half as much as the average, but use the "allied health" like chiropractors, massage, orthotics, naturopaths etc about twice as much as others. Guess it balances out then. (we just had a meeting about our benefits, so its in my mind.)
Went to bed very early last night, about 8 pm, and that helps with not eating, but also was pleased that despite the tired day, I didn't over eat. I tend to do that when tired.
I did overeat on Thursday night tho. WHy I felt I needed an appetizer and a main course I don't know, could have done with the app and salad just fine.
Counted up the points, and ate 40 that night. (daily is 26 and I have 49 per week to use as I wish). Glad it didn't stall my losses though.
Well, I missed a day of posting and am long winded as a result, hope we all have a nice weekend. I am off to start shopping for my "mother of the bride" dress. May not buy today though, but a day out with a girlfriend is always nice.

Riemontana
03-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Hello Friends!

Fbs was 81 this morning. Weight is still high and stable :mad: I got up this morning and took all my meds on autopilot. Then I started to work out and within about 10 minutes - head swimming and dizzy! Then I realized that I had not eaten and taken all the meds - including blood pressure. Duh. I always wait to take them after my workout.

I plan to take my gs to the Lorax today. I have him all day because dgs is photographing a wedding.

Mad, so happy for you about the new low. It will be fun to explore dresses with your newly slim body. I hope that I can join you soon! How nice of you to care for your client. It makes perfect sense to me that midwives would use those type of services...

Ruth, I am convinced that the only way that this works is to develop a lifestyle that can last forever. There are donuts in life!:hug:

Chipper, what great progress! I am so jealous that you can run...

Trish, I am so happy for you with your new bs reading! It does happen and you will find it is under 100 more and more..... So cool :cool:

Georgia, you will get there, also. If you hang in there, most of the numbers will begin to make sense. I hope you are enjoying your weekend escape!

Well, hopefully I have caught everyone here. I am off to do laundry and a few chores... Have a great Saturday.

Rie

red65
03-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone! I haven't posted except once or twice so still quite the newbie but very interested in how everyone is doing.

As a recount, I was dx with T2 Feb 2. My gastroparesis which had been controlled since gastric bypass reared its ugly head also and I am now back on reglan for that. I currently take 2000mg of Metformin (1000K 2x daily) and then added glyburide as my sugars were still in the 200's every morning.

I ran out of test strips on Thursday so haven't tested the past couple days but it STILL has been hovering anywhere from 215 to 170 every morning (closer to the higher end of the spectrum). I feel like crap all the time. Constantly thirsty, hungry, tired, nauseated (take 50mg Phenergan as needed for this), and have had some bouts which included very shaky and feeling disoriented or knowing I needed to do something then standing around helplessly woolgathering trying to figure out if I should eat, what, how much etc. I tested once during one of these episodes and bs was at 75 (doesn't sound too low but my body was NOT amused!)

I have extreme swelling in my left leg and moderate in my right. Despite doubling up on my lasix to 80mg daily the swelling in the left leg is never gone and the right leg swells right back up daily too. Currently I am pretty frustrated. I haven't adopted an official diet yet but have been trying to eat better and not eat junk food. Guess that isn't going to be good enough.

Anyways, I wanted to rejoin the chat and see if anyone has any words of advice. I am not insured so my doctor is doing what he can for me that I can afford (med-wise). He checked my liver and kidney functions in Feb when I was dx with T2 and they were normal as was my iron panel - I stay anemic due to gastric bypass in 2000).

Other meds I take include 1800 gabapentin for peripheral neuropathy, blood pressure meds, blood thinner (after mini-stroke in 2008), voltaren for very bad OA and possibly RA, pain meds and muscle relaxers due to widespread pain and mobility issues in both shoulders and both knees and ankles. My mobility is very limited in terms of moving about daily and excercise (currently not aware of anything I can do successfully). Finally, I have frequent debilitating migraines and take meds for them as well. I have other issues that pop up as well but those are the main ones.

I am 46 years old and feel like I am 90 both in how I feel physically plus having to take the little brown bag with all my meds in it.

So, that is where I am at. I hope it gets better soon.....

Hugs,
Kellye

Riemontana
03-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Hi Kellye!

You were posting at the same time that I posted. Glad to have you back!

Boy, it sure sounds like you have a lot of medical challenges. I certainly hope that things get better for you. All that pain must be hard to deal with everyday. Remember, any movement is good. During times when I was unable to do "anything" I used to practice just moving something. For example, doing range of motion with any joint that didn't hurt at that time. Flexing my foot back and forth while watching tv.... etc.

Try to hang out with us here daily, if possible. We would love to have you.

Rie

geoblewis
03-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Hey girls! Posting from not-so-sunny Southern California again today. Yesterday I ended up walking three miles and it was beautiful. Saw seagulls, sailboats and the Paramount Studios trucks setting up for location shoots for the show Bent. No stars... Went to see "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" last night. Such a sweet movie! Funny and charming.

Fbs was 150 this morning. I had planned to wake up at 4 to eat a hard-cooked egg so I might see if I could change that dawn phenomena thing, but I went to bed so late last night, plus I had a beer at dinner AND I just realised that I forgot to take my Met ER! Should I just take it now or wait till tonight? I'm on 500mg.

Time to do some Googling on that...see ya later!

fatmad
03-24-2012, 08:23 PM
Wow Kellye, having all those issues and no insurance is a real challenge. I can understand why you feel old, you are on more meds than my 81 year old father. Many of these problems seem interconnected too.
I think Rie's advice is good, just move something from time to time. You could also go to the library and check on books on Isometrics too. THese are exercises you do without "moving". I'd recommend a holistic practitioner, but that isn't cheap either. HOpe you and your doc find a way to help improve things for you.
Georgia, if you have missed a dose of metformin by more than a few hours, it is best just to take the next dose early and not double up, according to the manufacturer's recommendations.
Got to yoga today, and really enjoyed it. I shopped for about 3 hours with my friend, and found a couple of possibilities. Glad I could snap pics on my cell, and will use these to refer to as I keep shopping, and decide if I go back to that store for those or find other things. I can't shop for longer than that, as I don't "love" shopping. Did enjoy the time with my friend.
GOnna watch a movie on pay-per-view tonight with DH, just a nice quiet nite.
happy weekend friends.

pattygirl63
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

Mad - So glad you saw the new low. As for shopping, I love enjoy window shopping and make that my exercise time just wandering around the stores. I used to have a sister-in-law that I would get together with and we would go out once a week just the two of us to eat and then go window shopping. Our hubbies, who were brothers, just couldn't understand it, but we both had regestered child care in our homes and it was our way of getting out of the house one night a week.

Kellye - :hug:Welcome back here. You have a lot of medical issues and I hope you can find good help. A good doctor is a good start and glad one who is willing to help you. Sure hope things get better for you.

Georgia - The one and only time I went to "sunny" California, it was NOT sunny. It was misty the whole time, but then we also went to Disney and it was a nice day because it was overcast and not as hot as it could have been which was nice. I can't tell you how many times I've either forgotten to take my Metformin or couldn't remember if I took it. When I can't remember, I have to just wait until the next day. I put all my vitamins and meds in small dish bowls on my microwave. That way I'm sure to know if I took it or not.

Rie - Hope you had a great day with gs. Now that I'm more in control of when I do things with my little Jaxxon, I really do enjoy him. When his other GM was here they went to the mall and he walked all over the place with her. So I'm planning to start venturing out some on my own with him so he will get use to us going places together now that he walks more. I'm thinking about starting back to my once a week Bible Study Fellowship next year and take him with me and put him in the nursery. I'll just make him my little "side kick". :)

Chipper, Ruthie and everyone else :wave:

Ruthxxx
03-25-2012, 06:19 AM
Quick check-in. Dealing with a lousy rotten cold that seems to last forever. I'm seeing the doc on Tuesday to see if he has any magic for me.

fatmad
03-25-2012, 09:52 AM
OH Ruth< would that anyone has "magic" for colds. I assume you are taking some extra vitamin C and echinacea to boost your immune system. I hope you are not getting a secondary infection like bronchitis or anything though. Thats always nasty and tiring. My youngest daughter has had pneumonia a couple of times after long colds. Usually during stressful winters, and I was worried that first year of university might do it, but she has come through the winter alright.

Fbs was 5.9 this am! I used up my regular points yesterday, and didn't want to dip into my weeklies after the big splurge on Thursday night, so had (free, no points) grapes and strawberries for a snack. Perhaps that did it? However weight is a couple of ounces under 171 so it is looking good that I have really lost that weight. :carrot:

Well, there is a dog to walk and some yard work to do, have a lovely SUnday friends.

Riemontana
03-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Good Morning!

fbs at 77 this morning. I had a bad eating day yesterday during adventures with my dgs. Oh well, back on track today. I tested dutifully, even after a bag of popcorn and some frozen yogurt with toppings my bs only rose to a high of 133. I am pleased with that.

It is a beautiful spring day here and I will go out for a walk this afternoon.

Mad, I can't seem to eat grapes. Strawberries, apples, some melons.... But grapes make me spike :?: So proud of you and your weight loss! :carrot:

Ruth, I spent most of the winter with a bad cold, as have you. I think it is a good idea to have the dr rule out bronchitis or something. Feel better.

Well, off to a free day...... Later.

Rie

geoblewis
03-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Having a plan and sticking to one is really a struggle for me when I'm away from home. Fbs was 149 this morning. I had another day of long walks yesterday. If we had this many malls in my small town, and this selection of stores, I'd never get bored! And shopping for a gorgeous leather tote and touching a $4500 Ferragamo bag is definitely a heart-smart exercise! Had to say goodbye to it, as well as a gorgeous Kate Spade nag at just 10% of the cost of the Ferragamo. Today, more of the same, and my nephew's 18th birthday party. Karaoke! Woo-hoo!

red65
03-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Hello everyone! I'm going to try to get into a routine of posting daily! Went to one of my best friend's wedding last night and am totally wiped out today. Started feeling really cruddy while at the wedding so I took my bs as I was leaving and it was 348! Yikes!

This morning my fbs was 185. I was up almost all last night with my knee so I managed to get a couple hours sleep today and am now waiting for my dd to let me know she is home from a ladies' retreat with her church and ready to be picked u p.

I must hold it together to grocery shop for the week with DH so I plan to spend this time researching ways in which I can eat healthier and what a good snack for me looks like as opposed to whatever is fastest and handiest. Wish me luck!

G, have fun at karaoke tonight. I absolutely adore it and in fact it is what DH and I did for our first "official" date 6 years ago! I bet that was difficult turning away from those beautiful bags!!

Ruth, I hope you feel better soon. Everyone thank you for making me feel welcomed. May we all have good eating and excellent bs days today!

Hugs,
Kellye

pattygirl63
03-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Ruthie - So sorry that nagging cold keeps hanging on to you. Sure hope you are feeling better soon.

Mad - The love fruit and when DH and I married we lived in FL and I loved having all the beautiful fruit they got there. We get beautiful strawberries here in SC this time of the year and I buy lots of them. One of those things we can eat and it is soooooooo good for us.

Georgia - You know how I plan and it seems to work for me? I learned this when I was in Overeater's Anonymous years ago and was a sponsor and had sponsors. I made a plan of what I planned to eat. Once in a while something may happen and I might have to it because I either changed my mind or circumstances changed. Anyway, I made the change but only exchanged the food planned for another food in the same category. That way I got the same value or type of food I had planned. Example, I was doing low carb at the time and I might decide I wanted beef instead of chicken or greens instead of the green beans. I'm sure it would work for any plan. I was committed to the plan but to a particular food.

A quiet day today. Went to church and then took the kids out to eat and back home for the day. DGS asked me if we can do a Bible study together on Sunday afternoon so we'll o that sometime today when he gets back home. Would have done it before he left, but I had forgotten about it and wasn't ready when he mentioned it to me on the way home from church. I needed to read the 1st chapter so I can answer any questions he has, although I think he just wants the one on one with me because he is so smart that he doesn't really need me to help him. I just love the fact that he wants the time with me. FBS was up a bit, but always is when I have to check it before 1 pm. I think I shouldn't even check it on those days because I have to take the meter with me. But it has become a habit of checking it just before 1st meal.

Rie, Kellye, Chipper, Bonnie and all others reading...:wave: Hope all is well with each of you.

Have a nice Sunday.

fatmad
03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Kellye: I am thinking low carb for you may be the key. Check out south beach or atkins styles of eating, and avoid some of the grains for a while, and see if that helps. Its still takes time but it can be done!
good luck

pattygirl63
03-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Kellye - I agree with Mad. I know from what you said that you are limited to what you can do financially, but how often do you or can you check your bs? I learned from checking after certain foods such as grains that just because we are told by nutritionists etc that we can eat certain foods does not mean that I can. Example. I cannot eat a serving of oat meal which I love because it spikes my bs, however, I can eat steel cut oats and I've since learned that I can have 1/2 a serving of oats without spiking my bs. It might be helpful to do some checking if you can. I just cannot handle everything diabetics are told they can eat. Another example Splenda does not spike some peoples bs, but it does mine. I will use it in a pinch, but I use Stevia because it does not cause my bs to spike.

To me, diabetes control is very much an individual thing and for me it has taken lots of work and research to get it under control and I'm still learning. But I have a step-sister whose hubby is diabetic and I learned from his story before I was diagnosed that this is what I have to do if I want to get control and stay healthy. He wrote me one time and told me how in the beginning that he learned what he could and couldn't eat by checking after everything he put into his mouth.

Hope this helps.

Butterfly50
03-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Hey Girls I hope everyone is having a wonderful evening. I am for sure. Done great this week I am done three pounds and been working out the last few days I walked around every block in this neighborhood and feeling pretty good. I will change my ticker when I get to where I left.

Hello to all the newbies glad to see some new post on here. Well kids came and gone the visit went well jest a little unsettling for me. Didn't get a whole lot of pics seem like someone had a attitude everyday they were here and it was only two days so..... Didn't know and still don't know what to think of the sons wife she had so much attitude with everyone she was real snippy. But Loved the time with the grand children at least they know who grammie is now.

Well I better be going I am listening to the ipod and the music is telling me to get up from here and walk around the yard. Catch you all later....

Ruthxxx
03-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Just checking in. Still feel cruddy but FBGL is fine. Weight is still close to 180 but that's from eating "comfort food". That'll come off this week for sure. I'm off to the doc first thing tomorrow morning and suspect he'll put me on anti-biotics for this crud.

Keep on truckin', everyChick.

chipper15173
03-26-2012, 11:34 AM
good morning everyone....

i did a 3.31 mi run with RunKeeper
Duration 0:53:39 | Calories Burned 351
Average Pace 16:11 / mi | Average Speed 3.71 mph

it was a longer run today. i also started before i actually got going. so off on time. but, i wanted the distance anyway.
WW is going great. won't change now. if it's not broke don't fix it. so will stay with it until it crashes me. DH is full of comments now about the way cloths are fitting me betting and the way i am looking. makes me feel good. but, the little meany on my shoulder is saying. "see you sure let yourself go, you must have really looked bad, no matter what you thought". learning to swat her away for sure.

have a great day.

Riemontana
03-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Hello Friends!

fbs at 77 this morning. I did an hour+ of walkitout and it sure feels good. My weight is still up there but I am hoping that some real discipline and lots of water will flush everything out this week. :^:

Chipper, keep swatting meanie away.... Just a way to hurt your confidence. I have learned that we are a little crazy about weight loss... (most of us) We are upset when no one notices and we are upset when some one says something - turning compliments into another scrape on our self-esteem. You are doing great!:carrot:

Bonnie, you sound more and more like yourself. Sorry about dil attitude. Oh well, her loss!

Ruth, I hope you feel better. That cold has been kicking your rear for long enough. Spring is on the way. I promise!

Trish, I suspect that you are right that dgs just wants the time with you. Wonderful!

Georgia, You have to make the choices and I have faith that you will find your way. Like Mad, basically I adopted a very low carb approach when I was first diagnosed. Only 15 carbs per meal and no more than a total of 10 carbs per snack. I didn't subtract fiber to get to those levels - just tracked total carbs. Typical snacks for me were small amounts of nuts or beef jerky. Both are doable on the road. I can almost NEVER eat the "breakfast" that is provided by hotels. I carry meal replacement bars from atkins or wonderslim for that purpose. Overall, it is so much easier to just go all out for control, than add things in as you learn, than to try to track too many things at once. Both Mad and I are learning that certain fruits and carbs can be added back in. Remember, this is a journey and it takes time. :hug:

Mad, I hope that you enjoyed your shopping and your weekend. My physical therapist has said that I need to wait before starting my yoga class. Bummer. Maybe only another week.

Kellye, that kind of bs reading is pretty scary but I assume you have an idea of what caused the spike? I hope that you enjoyed the wedding. Yes, try to come here every day. We will help you all we can.

Gotta go! Rie

pattygirl63
03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
A quick flyby today. DSIL was off today so I left early and ran by Walmart to get new fingernail polish before going to have a pedicure and fill ins. I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure that I went longer than usual before having them done again. Just been so busy. Did I tell y'all that I got my new fridge last week? Gog the side by side DH wanted and the fridge part is bigger but I wasn't too happy that the ice maker seems to be smaller as I drink loads of iced drinks in the spring and summer. O well. But it is nice.

I need to get my act together. My FBS is really good. It was back down to 115 today, but I'm eating too many carbs and too much salt which makes the scales to read a little higher. Don't really know what my problem is. I've got the stuff to get back on a more low carb way of eating. The Intermittent Fasting is working for the FBS, I just need to get more serious about the healthier low carb foods. I've just got to be more alert to the amount of salt and probably drink more water.

Bonnie, Chipper, Kellye, Mad, Ruthie, Rie and others :wave: Hello

Have a nice evening.

red65
03-26-2012, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone and I hope all are having a good Monday.

Ruth, I sure hope you start to feel better soon. If antibiotics is what it takes then so be it.

Chipper, congrats on the loss and the changes in your clothes fitting. Instead of swatting meanie away I say you snatch it up in a paper bag and suffocate it (much more violent lol).

Bonnie, so glad you got to spend some time with your grandkids. I just had my first a year ago and they are so awesome. Sorry that your DIL had attitude and glad that it didn't detract from your visit with the little ones.

Mad, I am working my way into lowering my carbs and I sure hope it helps. I had another bs spike yesterday, up to 385. Scary business. Today it started at 180 for my fbs (seems to be typical), after breakfast (2hrs) was 232, before lunch (2 more hours) 229, had a carby type lunch and 2 hrs after it was 328. I ended up super shaky and got sick. A little later I had some spinach and at that point it was down to 240. Will be having dinner here in another couple hours and it is no carb (taco meat and cheese - no tortilla - lovingly referred to as "taco guts" lol!). All day long I have been drinking water.

I have no idea what is causing the very high spikes and they scare me a lot. My vision has been very bad today (dim and hazy) which it was before I started the meds in February but then it had calmed down. Definitely going to the doctor Friday. My daughter decided not to go to her evening class tonight which is a blessing because I would have had to sit up there, I don't trust myself to drive with my vision this bad off.

As far as my ability to test frequently, I just bought 100 strips and my DH is 100% on board with getting supplies however often I need them so that is a blessing.

I am trying to increase the amount of water I drink as I think that plays a part in my problems with swelling and leg cramps. I also have some B-12 meltables and will start those too.

Anyone I missed please forgive me as I am still trying to get into a routine here and get to know everyone. It most definitely is not intentional!!

Hugs,
Kellye

Butterfly50
03-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi Kellye I know how you feel I found out about less then a year ago for myself and I can tell you I was scared myself then I found these ladies and they helped me out alot. You wouldnt believe what some foods do to you if you feel like it post a menu for a day and let everyone help you out. I do and it did help me out alot.

Rie \Thanks I am feeling better now I am getting back in to a routine here and it is feeling good that I Even peaked on the scale this morning and I am now down 5 pounds so I am 5 pounds away from where I left off here cant wait to get back .

So my neighbor bought me over this slim away wrap that you wear susposed to help loose weight and give back support when you wear it. It has helped me alot with the back support and it does make me sweat alot in my midsection. I will try it what can it hurt.

I better be going I have so much to do and I need a nice hot bath I walked every block in this neighbor hood for 3 days now and my feet are killing me and my muscles in my legs are sore . But I feel so good...

fatmad
03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
Kellye, with those high and crazy numbers, you may be a type1/type 2 and need insulin. If your doctor does this, do not think of it as something you did wrong. It is a disease process and with diet and exercise help to control it, sometimes even doing everything "right" we can still end up with escalating diabetes. So take care and good luck finding the right way to go.
Have had a very busy day, so will do other personals another time. Very tired right now and going to bed. Have a good night everyone

fatmad
03-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Finally had a whoosh, and scale was a couple of ounces under 170 today! :carrot:
HOpe it will stay there. Also an NSV, Waist measurement down from 38.5 inches to 36 today.
Did expend lots of points last night, but had stayed low for a few days before, and will stay about 26-30 today to make sure my weight doesn't go up.
BIggest problem now? TMI: still struggling with constipation. I was pretty regular before starting atkins, and after about year with atkins, I started to have problems with regularity, and took fibre supplements. These days, I am eating some grains, and always high fibre stuff. HOwever, still some problems with going, and that affects the weight and I think, absorption. When we are regular, I believe that we don't overabsorb calories from food.
I guess I will try fibre supplements again, and see if that helps.
Well friends, hope to bring a few of you into the 160s with me, and see you all later.

ksails
03-27-2012, 11:55 AM
hey! hope you ladies dont mind me joining! I have been losing weight since March of 2011, and had lost 60 pounds and been exercising like mad when i was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in feb 2012 With a fasting bg of 265. Since then i have lost about 10 more pounds and im still exercising, Eating a lower carb diet and bg numbers are starting to look somewhat normal (yeah!!)
my fasting numbers are still a tiny bit high, anywhere from 95-130 depending on the morning. Im a work in progress, 38 years old 3 teenagers at home and a 4yr old. Looking fowarding to "meeting" everyone

Butterfly50
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Hey ksails :welcome: to the group. Your story sounds some like of mine I was diagnosed this past year and been working hard lost 50 pounds and then had to move in with hubbys aunt to help her out and gained about 10 back so now I am on track and back working on it 5 more pounds I be at my original 50. Then on from their.

I live in Sc and I have a 22year old and 2 teenagers .

Welcome to the group .

Hey everyone Will fbs this morning was 108 not to much going on here today it is pretty quiet here today I am gonna hit the wii this morning I do think I will have the house to my self and I have to wait around for my sons Humaria to arrive by fed x so can't see doing anything else plus I miss my walk it out... Till later.

geoblewis
03-27-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm home and happy to have spent the night in my own bed. I enjoyed the opportunity of being gone enough to miss the boys! They actually had cleaned up after themselves while I was gone, which was a delightful surprise. All I have to do this morning is the breakfast dishes. :D

I woke up at 3:30 this morning and tested. Fbs was 148. I thought I might try eating a hard cooked egg and a piece of celery and then sleeping for a couple more hours. At 6:45 my bs was 159. So, can't control dawn phenomenon in that way, I guess. Today I'm going back to really restricted carbs and moderately restricted protein all day, plus very small meals. I'll take a running start at those morning numbers from my lowered eating the day before. I wasn't so strict while I was away.

Have a lovely day!

red65
03-27-2012, 12:48 PM
Good morning everyone!

Hope everyone is off to a good Tuesday!

FBS this morning was 159 which for me so far is pretty darn good. At bedtime last night it was 201.

I am feeling very tired and lethargic this morning so am thinking about laying down for a little bit. I get up super early in the mornings with DH when he goes to work so I have been up a little over 5 hours already. I thought perhaps my bs might be to blame so I just tested it and it was 175! Compared to how it has been running this is a miracle! I am thinking about trying to find a decent snack and see if this perks me up some. It may also be due to the fact that I haven't had many carbs today (26g with breakfast). I recall from previous low carbing that in the beginning it is not uncommon to have low-energy so maybe that is all that it is. Well, I have settled upon having a couple tablespoons of peanut butter. We will see how this goes. I'm going to walmart later to exchange a blouse and I am going to try to think of some snacks I can have that would work with low carb and low sugar. I'm thinking about some atkins or glucerna bars. Not sure yet though. Lunch today will be tuna on one piece of bread. I will be making baked chicken for dinner and maybe have some green beans with it and MAYBE a couple tablespoons of mashed potato (will see about that.)

Today's plan is to focus on eating lower carbs and see what sort of day I have numbers wise. I ended up getting sick again last night right before bed so that made twice in one day. My doctor told me that having my blood sugar run high (as it did yesterday) can cause nausea and vomiting (as can my gastroparesis) but whatever it is I want to figure it out because I sure don't like it.

Mad, I've been thinking about what you said about having Type1/Type 2 diabetes and I believe that may have happened to my grandma. I was fairly young (teens) when I recall learning she was diabetic and then it seemed like right about that same time she began insulin shots. She is no longer around for me to ask and she is the only diabetic in our family so it would be helpful to know. Anyway, I sure hope that isn't the case but if it is then there are worse things in this world.......

Also Mad, congratulations on both the whoosh and the drop in waist measurements. That is so totally awesome! You are a huge inspiration! With regards to the regularity, in the past when I have low-carbed I have struggled with that (even with gastric bypass lol!). My daughter struggles with it a lot and the only thing that helps her is Miralax? Have you ever heard of it and have you ever tried it? She swears by it!

ksallis, welcome to the group! Seems several of us were all dx in the past month. You are doing great on your weightloss! Does your doctor have you trying to regulate with just diet/excercise right now or are you on any meds? The ladies here are very supportive and so I hope you will settle in and start posting daily like they have encouraged me to.

Bonnie, goo job on your treks all over your neighborhood. I hope your hot bath last night was awesome. You certainly deserved it! I know you are missing the walk today cooped up in the house waiting on the Fed-ex guy but I hope that maybe you will take that opportunity for some relaxation and pampering of yourself. Whether it is a nap, pedicure or manicure or planning a new outfit or haircut, or whatever it is that would make you feel pampered, the solitude is good for us every now and then (at least in my experience!) Try to enjoy it.

Speaking of downtime, my daughter is in class and I don't have to leave to go get her for another hour so I plan to just chill and zone out for a bit and eat this stupid peanut butter (sounded like a good snack in theory but I am not liking it so much after all - that way with eating in general right now lol). Wish my body would get the memo and drop a few pounds during this time lol.

Hugs all!
Kellye

ksails
03-27-2012, 12:59 PM
Kelley
When i was first diagnosed i was on 500mg of metformin once a day. After a month of eating no sugar and 200 carbs a day, and taking the meds my bs were still around 180-250 no matter what i did it seemed. So i called and she put me on 1000 mg of metformin once in am and once in pm with one glipizide twice a day at the same time. She said if that didnt help control the blood sugars then to call again, and we would try more meds. Well i didnt want to be on more meds.. the metformin makes me nauseated, and gross feeling.. so more meds.. umm no. So i cut carbs, i started out cutting back to 150 carbs a day, then 100-110 a day.. right now im keeping it under 90 carbs a day.. and i think im going to have to get under 60 to really be able to controll thoes fasting numbers. Its working really great, i exercise at least 5 days a week anyways, and eating lower carb seems to be just what my body needs.. I am even having lows after i eat! woohoo lol I think i will be able to cut back on some of the meds once i get to 60 carbs a day.. and i cant wait!!!

red65
03-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Hearing you describe your carb lowering process and what it has meant for you in terms of meds and bs is so very helpful. I cannot thank you enough.

I don't know at what point I might get to considering lowering meds, I am still not on ENOUGH meds if you happen to read any of my entries.

I am at 2000mg metformin daily along with 2.5mg glyburide daily and I am still hitting 300+ daily and 200+ on what could be described as a consistent level. I am going back to my doc on Friday to see what is next. It is crazy!

Today is some fluke thing lol for me to spend the morning in the 100's. I am now at 215 which is what seems to be my current "normal" which is not normal at all. If trends hold true I will hit the 300's in a few more hours and then go back down to the 200's. I would love to be free of them period but this has been the trend I have noticed so far.

Welcome again, I am so glad to have you here!

Kellye

ksails
03-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Kellye
I read your posts, and thats why i detailed the carb troubleshooting (as i call it) for you. It seems like you are right about at the same place i was. I got fed up with the high numbers after a month and just called and flat out told my dr i wanted to treat the disease more agressively.
My doctor actually just told me to "not eat any empty calories" and stick to a healthy bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Well i did oatmeal and it spikes my blood sugar as bad as a whole order of freaking french fries!! lol So i discovered whatever i ate had to have twice as much protien as carbs. The only exception to that is popcorn, i was able to eat thoes 100 calorie smart pop bags without spiking, but any more than that it would go up fast. In my quest for lower bg numbers i have now given up my beloved popcorn lol. once i started cutting carbs i felt really bad. Tired and just disgusting. I think the fast bg lowering made me feel bad to.. it took about a week for my numbers to look decent every day.. like i said before im still dealing with the high fasting numbers, but they are not nearly as high as they were but i do want to get them under 100.

fatmad
03-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Kellye: Low carb has many meanings to people. 200 g carbs to me is very high, I went to 20g carbs/day to control my sugars, on atkins (induction phase) and that is when I finally got my sugars controlled. I wasn't able to just jump down that far, like ksails, I cut them back gradually and was able to stick to it for quite a while. I didn't go over 40g carbs/day until recently when I switched to ww. I still don't get more than 100g carbs/day on the occasions I have stopped to count, but have balanced that by reducing fat.
I will check out Miralax, thanks.
Georgia, another way to work on dawn phenomenon, is to have a little bedtime snack with a few carbs, like a single scoop of ice cream, or a small bowl of cereal, or one slice of toast and peanut butter. The idea is that a few carbs in the system keep the liver from dumping extra glucose into your blood stream. See if you can fit that in with the calorie allowance you are giving yourself daily. (can't remember what weight loss plan you are doing?)
Hellos to Trish, Bonnie and Rie: Ruth, hope the antibiotics help you get back to feeling well soon!
ttfn friends

red65
03-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi Mad, I agree that low-carb means many things to many people. I was reminded of this just today as I was wandering through Wal-Mart. I would see something touted as low carb and pick it up to read the values and realized that the manufacturer believes that because their bar or drink has 35g - 40g of carbs it is low-carb whereas I consider that to be moderate and even on the threshold of high carb (or at least higher than I want to consider for a snack or meal replacement lol)

As a former Atkins follower I an well versed at Induction level carbs and know pretty much what that looks like. I found it to be pretty restrictive but enjoyed the pounds lost as a result. I am hoping to somehow strike a happy medium in finding the carb threshold that I can eat while keeping bs readings at a normal level. It is my "hope" the levels will drop while still allowing me a moderate amount of carbs per day (by moderate I am thinking/hoping for maybe in the 60g range.) If not then I will have to go from there.

I appreciate you weighing in with your experience of your carb levels and how they relate to your bs levels. It is my hope that new people will be able to read all of our stories and see how we came to whatever works for us so they are aware they have options. Right now I feel like the "what NOT to do" poster child but I know this is stinkin thinkin and unfair to myself. It is just my frustration and fatigue talking and I am aware of that.

BTW, I ended up with my 300+ daily spike but within an hour (just like each day before) it was back in the 200s. So weird...

Hope everyone had a good day. I am super tired so I hope to call it an early night tonight.

Hugs,
Kellye

Jonjaxmom
03-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Hello all... I'm new to this thread....

I'm considered type 1.5 diabetic. Started out gestational diabetic with both my kids, after my youngest was born, I continued having high blood sugars. Diagnosed me at that time as type 2 and was on Metformin. Enjoyed a honeymoon phase of about a year and a half, and over the next 5 yrs, levels slowly started creeping up. Higher doses of Metformin did nothing but cause me gastrointestinal discomfort! By early 2011, started lantus 1x a day. Was so pissed about becoming an insulin dependent diabetic that I stopped checking and ate my weight up 10 more pounds in 2 months. Dr told me I am not typical type 2, losing weight would not make my diabetes go away. My body still produces insulin, though it's quality is marginal.

Fast forward to October, dr told me if a1c did not go down, we'd need to add on fast insulin injections before meals. That really kicked it for me. Day after Christmas I weighed in at 171, told myself I would fight until I could fight no more regarding insulin. Changed my carb habits to whole grains, more veggies more water, portion control, 1500 to 1600 calories per day. Exercise 3 x a week.
I keep a diligent food diary and count calories.

Today I'm down to 151, 10 more pounds and I'll be in the healthy weight range. My clothes are too big, I feel fantastic, and best of all my a1c went from 7.2 to 6.4. Endocrynologist is thrilled, I am even more thrilled. No insulin changes for now.

Ruthxxx
03-28-2012, 07:53 AM
Quick check-in after doc visit. he has completely eliminated the glyburide and BP meds which is a good thing. A quick HA1C showed 5.7 so something's working. Now to get rid of this cold which is on its way out so I didn't get any magic meds.

Welcome to all the new folks. Strength in numbers!

fatmad
03-28-2012, 08:46 AM
Ruth: Lets hope getting the glyburide out will help prevent the lows that sometimes have plagued you, and with the victoza and metformin, we hope not to have highs. Getting off a bp med sounds pretty good too, the weight loss must make a big difference. Two less pills a day, alright!:carrot:
fbs 4.8 this am, (thats about 86 in the US). I am definitely under 5 on a regular basis now, so am really pleased. Its weigh in night for me later, so will be pretty strict with eating today.
Kellye, its good to know you are familiar with atkins. You might wanna try induction for a week or two to see if it helps with numbers. I did it for the better part of two years, and they came under good control within about 2 weeks, and I think that is the difference now, that I can manage more carbs. I stick to one or 2 servings of grain most days, and of course it is whole grain and high fibre. But I eat a wider range of vegetables now, and really enjoy that.
But 2 years ago, even sprouted grain breads caused a big spike for me, though not as much as white breads.
BTW, tried the miralax last night, and it did work well, and no cramping, so will maybe stick to that when needed. Thanks for the reminder.
Office day today, so regular hours (I hope!)

ksails
03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
I eat what i think is moderate carbs.. yesterday i went over 90 because i "had" to have some ferrero dark chocolate with almonds. lol YUM is all i can say.. and fasting bs was 105 this am so i dont think it did any damage lol I dont think i could do atkins, unless my life depended on it. I mean id be able to do it for a bit but i like fruit to much, and the vegetable variety. My goal is to have overall carbs down to 60 a day in a month or two, and get off the blasted meds.

Butterfly50
03-28-2012, 02:25 PM
well Fbs was 102 this mornng so it was lower then the last few days. Went walking last night the hubby actually joined me and we walked two of the huge blocks one is a hill then the other is kinda of a hill. When I went to bed last night my feet and Legs hurt me so bad I had to get up and take some motrin. I tossed and turned until almost 1 am . That jest messed me up cause I didnt get up till 10:30 this am. Thats messes my whole day up.

Getting myself ready to go pick up the DD up and take her to her Dr apt so I will be back later..

I hope all is well with everyone Will check back later..

red65
03-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Hi all, not much to report today. Started the morning with a fasting blood sugar of 171. Had breakfast of scrambled eggs and cheese. Didn't stay down so basically I have had a no-food day. Just checked my bs and it is 162. Nothing more to report at this time....

Hope all are having a good Wednesday. Will check back in later to see how all are doing.

Hugs,
Kellye

pattygirl63
03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
:welcome3:to ALL the Newcomers,

This is a great diabetic support group. Glad you found us and good luck on your journey.

Well, the Intermittent Fasting is working great on the fbs. It seems to be at 115 for most of this week. I'm sure it might be even better if I was in more control of my eating, so started counting calories and carbs today. I seem to do well with a 17 to 19 hour fast and 5 to 7 hour eating window. Not eating low carb atkins style. I appreciated reading how many carbs some of you allowed yourself to eat when sharing with the newcomers. My goal at this time is to keep carbs around 100g. IF is working great for the FBS, but my weight is up considerably I'm sure because of the higher carbs. Thus the reason for the cal/carb counting. Now that I finally have the way to get the FBS coming down, I now will work at bringing down the weight as well. Not giving up on this one.

ksails - I can't take my carb as low as atkins because I too love fruits and veggies. In fact, when I married DH and moved to FL, I loved all the wonderful fruit they had down there. That is when I learned that I could easily become a fruitaholic. I ate mostly protein, vegetables and loads of fruit. And was losing weight like crazy. Didn't eat bread or starchy foods too much back then. Maybe I should rethink that.LOL

Ruthie - Glad you were able to get rid of the 2 meds. Hope the cold hits the road soon.

Bonnie - Sorry to hear about the DDIL, but glad the Grands knows who Grammy is now. Glad to hear you are back on track.,

Kellye - So sorry you have difficulty keeping your foods down. However, your fbs seems to be down a bit. Mine used to go all over the place. The last 3 timines I've gone for my 3 mo. check, I would go to the doc thinking my A1c was going to be terrible and the everytime it has been a normal 6. Go figure. These bodies are complicated to say the least.

Mad - Looks like you are doing great. I'm sure you will have another loss.

Rie, Jonjaxmom, Chipper and others - :wave:

Have a good evening.

fatmad
03-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Weigh in was fun tonight. on their scale I was just a tad over 170, so thats where I will place the ticker for the week. Next week will be lower than that. !

geoblewis
03-29-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm so frustrated right now! It's a combination of things...the universe seems to be against everything I've tried to accomplish today. On the diabetes front, I have been keeping a very tight rein on carbs for the last two days. Carbs and fats and protein. And I've been exercising outside of my morning phenomenon window. My post exercise and lunch numbers are great! And this morning's fbs was in the 130s, which is moving in the right direction.

But tonight, I wanted some strawberries really bad! I ate four of them. I wanted a sweet potato really bad. I ate just one cup, plain. I had a little bit of duck and steamed zucchini with it. And my one hour number was up to 202 and the two hour number was back down to 156, much higher than it had been all day. In my frustration, I caved and had a cup of cooked jasmine rice with olive oil that I had made for my kids. And now, a little over an hour after that, my number's 152. And that confuses the heck out of me!

Okay, got all that out of my head. I will go to bed and see what happens by morning. Thanks for listening.

red65
03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Good morning all!

FBS this morning is .........(drum roll please)........133!!!

Now I know many of you are much lower but this is the closest I have been to normal since this ordeal started!!!

The gastroparesis seemed to be pretty bad yesterday which prevented me from eating much which I know is also accounting for the lowered numbers but last night I got frustrated (sorta like Georgia did) and I made a pb and j sandwich. It stayed down and still fbs is decent so........ progress!

Mad, congrats on your "official" loss and looking forward to an even bigger loss next week! You are doing great! How many points do you have daily? Are you able to fee full and satisfied within the alloted daily food parameters?

Georgia, I am so sorry you were feeling frustrated but also glad that your numbers, while higher, weren't hideous! I do hope this morning brings with it a better day for you and that the universe gets the message to stop fighting you and just cooperate!

Trish, I agree that reading what others shared about their counting their carbs affected their bs numbers. I have been watching you and your IF. Glad to hear that at least it is affecting the fbs. Keep us posted on your cal/carb efforts and how you do with that. What number of calories are you shooting for?

Bonnie, that fbs looks good! Congrats on getting hubby to go walk with you. It always seems easier when we have someone with us (UNLESS that someone is a whining complainer - then we are better off alone LOL!!!) Keep up the good work! You are doing great!

Ruthie, congrats on getting rid of TWO meds!! That is so great! Especially the BP one. I hope that by now you are starting to feel much better from that cold or whatever it was you had (have?)

To everyone else, here is an enthusiastic hi and hopes that we all have a great day!

Hugs,
Kellye

fatmad
03-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Hi all: didn't test this morning as I was up in the night. Had a big treat meal last night, a glass of strongbow cider and chicken wings. COunted all the points, and will just be good other days.
Yes, I can usually get satisfied on my points allowance. I am on the lowest allowance, 26 "daily" points and 49 points to "spend" during the week as I choose. So far, I have rarely spent all the weeklies, and usually get about 20 or more activity points, which I have not spent ever. I think what ww says is true, it is not hard to feel full if you eat the "power foods" and "simply filling" foods, and you can feel hungry if you don't eat so well, lots of empty calories. Some days are "hungry" no matter how you slice it. The new system (points plus) has most vegetables and fruits as free, so there are lots of "free" foods to fill up on if you max out your points. I try to keep to just one or two foods/day that have grain. I also still eat mostly full fat cheese and use 1% milk, just won't do skim. I do this because I WANT to get a certain number of calories from fat, and that doesn't affect blood sugar, and even if I am not doing atkins, I think for diabetics its a good way to go, as long as we balance it.
The first time I tried a ww diet, when first diagnosed, my bs were terrible, and I now think I was too low fat, too high in carbs, especially grains. But the beauty of the ww plan is its flexibility to personal needs. Really just a fancy way to count calories. So Trish's IF can work, and ww helps her to make sure her daily calories don't go over a certain limit. (as happens to me if I skip meals, I binge later)
Georgia, why are you testing one hour after a meal? Although the 2 hour is pretty high. Apparently you spike with sweet potato, so watch out for that one!
Going to nap a bit now, then off to work for the day.

Butterfly50
03-29-2012, 11:19 AM
My Fbs this morning was better then ever 95!!!! Yes Now that is where it is usually. Doing good tomorrow I weigh in and see my new results will see how close it is to the last ticker results hope it is close and I can be back on track.

red65
03-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Woo hoo Bonnie!!!

geoblewis
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
The Universe is in cahoots with my dog! Miss Daisy is driving me crazy! My youngest just left for school and Daisy wants to go for a walk NOW. She's being destructive while I'm taking my sweet ole time to take my vitamins and eat breakfast, shower and dress. Have already saved my sofa cushions and some of my son's breakfast dishes from Daisy.

Fbs was 148 this morning. Humph! Yesterday was a higher carb day. Today, I'm ratcheting back down. Perhaps no more "experiments" until I get fbs under 100.

I test an hour after eating some foods to see what I do spike on. Had never tested strawberries or sweet potatoes, so...double-humph!

I only test fbs and at one hours and two hours post breakfast so I know when I can go exercise in the mornings. After that, two hours after a meal, unless I eat something for which I want to find out how it affects me. And just before going to sleep.

Tomorrow morning I go see my regular doctor. I still haven't gone in to do my blood tests. Maybe I'll do it in the morning before I see her. If I can find my paperwork!

So many new things to do in the mornings now that I forget to weigh in. Perhaps it's time to go to once a week weigh-ins.

Have a lovely day!

ksails
03-29-2012, 12:42 PM
hey everyone! Forgot to check fasting blood sugar this morning.. so no report on that front but WOW Kellye awesome numbers! Bonnie ^5!! love that 95 hoo-wieeee as my dad would say lol.
Georgia- UGH!!!!! and ((hug)) hope things either get funnier or better, lol. I can eat strawberries (all i want) but not sweet potatoes, they make my bs spike also.
fatmad- WOOHOO on the 170 and awesome that ww works for you! yeehaw!

I count calories, im doing 1333 a day right now.
i walked 65 mins on the treadmill today at a 8% incline at 3.0 mph, burned about 780 calories went 3.2 miles. Jogged a little about 4 mins worth didnt track the cals for that and did some work on my triceps (bat wings b gone!!!)
had my strawberry protien shake thingy i make in the ninja for breakfast, 2 hours later bs is 108. still drinking coffee, love the stuff. lol

ksails
03-29-2012, 12:45 PM
oh i forgot! as of this morning i not only met my goal of -70 pounds but hopped over it to -71!!!! officially 263.2 hooo-wieeee! lololol

pattygirl63
03-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Mad - Congrats on the weight loss. You will be looking great for that wedding. Can't remember have you already picked out what you'll be wearing? If not, you will really have fun shopping for it.

ksalis - Congratulation for hitting you 70 lb loss plus 1 more. Happy for you.

Georgia - I hated it when I checked my fbs over the years. Until IF, I thought even my body was against me. You will find your way. Just hand in there and be patient.

Bonnie - YAY!!! 95 is great!!! How I look forward to getting to that number myself. You have done a great job. Also a big congrats on DH walking with you.

Ruthie, Rie and Chipper - Sure hope all is going well with y'all.

FBS was 118 today. I am very happy with the way things are going. Don't really have to count carbs or calories with IF. I've just had a tendency toward binging or eating very carby and salty foods so using the cal/carb to get back into healthy eating. Also kind of wanted to see how much I am eating so more for reference and to stay in line. As long as I eat healthy and stay with in my eating window, I will be fine. I also read today that it isn't unusual to overeat a bit when you first start IF, but that it will settle down within a few weeks and will lean more toward healthier eating. I think I have past into the healthy eating today as I was hungry for fruit, veggies and protein today. Had a big salad with EV olive oil and apple cider vinegar, nice broiled steak and steamed okra for main meal today. I plan a shrimp stirfry for dinner and probably will just eat in a 5 hr window today. Scale was down .5 a lb today, but still not at ticker yet.

chipper15173
03-29-2012, 08:43 PM
evening....
skimmed through the post. welcome newbies. i am chipper. DX in 06. type 2. i take victoza lowest dose .6. weaning myself off to see if my diet and exercise can keep it controlled. endro said i can as long as i keep an eye on numbers. so far so good. 99% their under 100.
lost 2 more pounds at WW last night. today i tried a trick hungry girl suggested and i am so full. dinner sent me over, but, i have to eat. she said there is always so much sauce in the frozen entrees. so she suggested to get a small bag of vegetables and add to the entree and it will coat with the extra sauce. i did that today with a WW meal. it worked. will do that again. was so filling. lasted the rest of the day and into dinner.
well off to do some internet surfing and go watch some tv.
night ladies

pattygirl63
03-29-2012, 09:58 PM
evening....
skimmed through the post. welcome newbies. i am chipper. DX in 06. type 2. i take victoza lowest dose .6. weaning myself off to see if my diet and exercise can keep it controlled. endro said i can as long as i keep an eye on numbers. so far so good. 99% their under 100.
lost 2 more pounds at WW last night. today i tried a trick hungry girl suggested and i am so full. dinner sent me over, but, i have to eat. she said there is always so much sauce in the frozen entrees. so she suggested to get a small bag of vegetables and add to the entree and it will coat with the extra sauce. i did that today with a WW meal. it worked. will do that again. was so filling. lasted the rest of the day and into dinner.
well off to do some internet surfing and go watch some tv.
night ladies

CONGRATULATIONS Chipper on the 2 lb loss. I like the idea of adding the vegetables to the WW meal. Thanks for sharing.

Riemontana
03-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Hello Friends!

Well I have been working a ton and had internet problems so I have been gone for a couple days. Sure is nice to come back here and see all the active newbies!

I was diagnosed 18 months ago and my fbs is almost always between 75 and 85. I test before every meal and and bed time. My A1c has been between 5.2 and 5.7 for a year. I take 2000 metformin and also Januvia daily. I am currently eating about 125 - 140 carbs per day but they are all very high fiber carbs. No bread or rice, etc. For example, a typical breakfast for me is a small sliced apple with PB2, 1/2C fiber one and 1/2c unsweetened almond milk. lunch is always romaine salad with a little dressing. Supper is lean protein, small carb, lots of veggies. I eat a carb/protein snack at supper to control dawn phenomenon. Typically, it is small yogurt with an egg or slice of deli turkey.

Mad, I am so proud of you for the weight loss! Mine is dropping but I am going to have to really move it to catch you! :carrot: Very happy for you.

Ruth, I hope the antibiotics kick in.;) So great that you can lose one bp medicine.

Bonnie, I thought of you this morning when I did WAlkitout. I am glad to hear that you are still doing it. I am on my 3rd island now. It is so much fun.

Chipper, nice to meet you! Don't I know you from the other thread?

Trish, the IF is interesting. My bs gets really wonky with an uneven schedule. Bummer. Good for you, though!

Ksails, your story is really interesting! I am glad that you found us.

Georgia, so glad that you enjoyed your trip and that the boys cleaned up while you were gone.

kellye, YAY on the bs! Drumroll indeed!

Well, gotta go but I promise to be back in the morning. Sorry if I missed anyone!

Rie

pattygirl63
03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
This will sort of a quick one this morning. DH has a follow up drs appt this afternoon and I've got loads of things to do this morning before go. Trying to get laundry done and clean house... you know those things you do maybe once a week like bleached kitchen my sinks and took the can opener apart and clean it. Still have to clean out the toaster. The DGC will be out of school next week for spring break so probably won't do all that next week although it would be a good homemaking lesson time for them to learn it.

FBS seems to be settled at 115 to 118 right now and that is so much better than what I've dealt with for so long that I'm very pleased. I think it is what keeps me on my new eating plan. I downloaded and printed a free book from Step 5 Diet website yesterday and I'm so glad that I did. Like I said the good FBS reading keeps me doing this IF style of eating, but I was upset about the weight gain. Although it seems to have leveled off, it isn't coming back down like I would like. After reading the ebook, I learned that this is normal and some of the overeating I've done is too. It says this happens at first, but as I contine the eating should settle into healthier eating and in about 2 or 3 weeks the weight will start to steadily come off. It might take me about 2 or more years to reach goal, but then I would have no problem with that. I will just be happy to start losing.

Rie - So glad to see you. Look forward to seeing around here again. I'm having problems with my pc again. I took it into my room for about 3 or 4 nights and no problems. I forgot to take it last night and it won't work this morning. I had to borrow DH pc this morning.

Ruthie - Hope you are feeling better.

Mad, Chipper, Bonnie, Georgia, Kellye, Johjaxmom and all others reading:wave:

Y'all have a great Friday and week end.

geoblewis
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Good morning all. Quickie check-in this morning. FBS was 146. I have an appointment with my regular doctor today, finally!

I am going to be working all weekend, so I'll be online the whole time. I'll catch up with you later. Hope you have a lovely day!

ksails
03-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Morning!! Fasting bs was 99 this am, my cat woke me up at 3:30 this morning, the needy furball, so i couldnt get back to sleep, decided not to go to the gym when alarm went off at 5 and then laid there for 30 mins thinking about how much i should go to the gym, so THEN i got up and went lol. Treadmill for 55 mins a 8.5% incline and 3.0 mph.. something like 750 calories. then went and worked on the bat wings a bit and had a protien shake when i got home.. i think soon i will need a nap lol

Hope everyone has an awesome day and weekend!

Butterfly50
03-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Good afternoon everyone For me all is swell here got on the scale and it told me I was 262 so close to my last ticker a few months ago will no change it till I get past that 257. Been walking every night this week but wed had to give my legs a rest they get where they jest ache so bad at night.

Doing swell thought have been doing great with my walking and eating . Infact the whole fam has been walking with me . Me and the cousin takes the baby and put her in the stroller and go and everyone else seems to follow to. We usually walk every block of the neighborhood and then some .

Sleep like a baby last night didnt have any back pain so must of been a symptom from mother nature.
I hope everyone is getting ready to have a wonderful weekend. I know I am I will be reading my kindle and laying in the sun when not walking or working out.So till later.....

geoblewis
03-30-2012, 07:23 PM
Just back from my regular doctor's office. She confirmed for me that my endo has been an @$$ by other patients, so we agreed that he's fired. She went over the notes he had put in my file. Had to do a lot of correcting and clarifications! Idiot!

So, almost a month into the 500 mg Met ER and nothing seems to have changed, so my doctor put me on oral Janumet. Dear lord, it's expensive! Hope it helps me get back on track with cutting calories and losing weight so I can get off it! Yipes!

Got the meds, came home, started reading up on side effects, etc. Suddenly I miss being married. I don't miss the X, I just miss someone being here to tell me I was supported and loved and everything was going to be okay. He never really did that for me. I always had to suck it up or go to another room to fall apart on my own. I really want to fall apart with a bag of salty potato chips right now. But I'll just suck it up and take a nap and go to my girlfriend's later with a box of tissues.

Mic Jagger said it best..."What a drag it is getting old."

pattygirl63
03-30-2012, 09:49 PM
ksails - Congrats to reaching the 99 reading. You did good with the exercise.

Bonnie - Won't be long until you will be down to that 257. Having your family walking with you is great support. You are truly blessed.

Georgia - Glad you got clarification on things and hope the new meds help you.

I forgot to check my FBS today. Just slipped my mind.

Till tomorrow...

fatmad
03-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi everyone: I am really pleased today. Its been a crazy busy week and I have stayed within plan pretty well. This is easier for me to do than with Atkins, so I am not trying to make up a "bad" day. I tested a couple of times during the night while working, and bs were 5.3 and 5.8 so no worries. Had a 5 hour sleep this morning, and will go to bed early tonight. It is harder to eat the fresh fruits and veggies when it gets busy, but I am staying within points range rather nicely, and will eat plenty fruit and veggies this weekend.
Not much exercise, so will also do some trail walks and yoga if the crazy busyness is over.
BOnnie I am so pleased you are getting back down after the stress of moving and readjustments. Keep up the good work.
Georgia, hope the doc appt went well, same for Trish.
Glad to see Rie again, missed you, hope you are working well and not overdoing it this weekend.
CHipper, congrats on your loss. We are doing pretty well here. Keep rooting for you.
See you all later

Riemontana
03-31-2012, 03:48 AM
Hello all!

Fbs at 71 this morning. I went in for my quarterly blood and lab work I see my endo in a couple of weeks. My weight is stable and still above my ticker. :mad:

I am playing in a pool tourney this weekend. I played really bad tonight so I am unhappy with myself. I get another chance tomorrow.

Sorry, I will get personals in the morning.

Rie

Ruthxxx
03-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Just a quick :wave: and a :welcome: to the new folks.

Weight is the same, FBGL is in the right range and my cold is departing. I'm suddenly pretty busy with Spring stuff but will try to remember to start an April Thread tomorrow and close this one.

Happy Saturday!

fatmad
03-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Well, March is going out like a lion, both for work (very busy) and weather (new snow after that almost summery weather!) But weight is staying below 170, I will change the ticker after weigh in on Wednesday if that scale agrees.
After visits today I plan a yoga class AND a trail walk with the dog if time permits. THAT will feel GOOD.
Happy end of March to all, Rie good luck in the rest of the tourney and RUth, glad you are feeling better.
hello to everyone else, ttfn

geoblewis
03-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Good morning Peeps! I slept off my funk after a good evening with friends and I'm ready to get back on the road to health. Took my first Janumet last night. About to take my second. I have a full weekend of work on the computer. Must remember to get out and walk some, laugh some, eat some...

Have a great day!

pattygirl63
03-31-2012, 05:58 PM
A quick flyby this time. My laptop completely gave up on me. Not sure if the kids had anything to do with it or not as I use it a lot. Someone told me laptops don't last like desktop pcs dpo. I ordered a new hard drive from Amazon to replace it. It will be here by the 11th and then DH will have to set it up for me. So will be using his desktop until then. Only problem with that is that it hurts my neck to use it.

DH doctor's appt went well. He goes back to the doc in 2 months. Haven't heard back yet on his blood work.

I ended up gaining 10 lbs getting on IF which I learned in my research sometimes happens, but so far I have lost a lb of that this week. Tomorrow is official WI. I changed my ticker to read the gain because I wanted to count my loss from when I start losing on IF. I've got a mini goal to get to onderland and then set my total goal as well.

Have good evening.

Ruthxxx
04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
New thread for April has been started. I remembered this time!

Here it is http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support/256053-diabetes-chat-april.html#post4275810