Faith Based Support Groups - Christian Encouragers ~ MARCH ...

View Full Version : Christian Encouragers ~ MARCH ...

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
:angel: Welcome Friends :angel:
--------------------------

You've found a great place to come
and vent, share or ask for prayer support.
This is a great group who will be very
encouraging, caring and loving....
....anyone is welcome to join!

A Servant's Prayer --

Jesus, My Jesus....How marvelous are your ways....
Far more splendid than my mind can envision.
What an honor to be chosen by you.
A lowly child I am, but empowered by the Holy Spirit
to fulfill the great hope to which you have called me.
I give myself totally to you, Lord.
Take my imperfect heart and make it perfect.
Peel away the hardness.
Close the doors I have opened to the temptations of this world.
Gently remove the roots of painful memories, sins, doubts and fears.
Discard anything that separates me from you.
Lord, fill the emptiness with the light of your love
that I might be a beacon calling the lost back to you.

To love as you love.....
To serve as you serve.....
To forgive as you forgive.....
Always mindful of my nothingness while doing great
and marvelous things in your name and for your glory.
This I pray, Jesus, in YOUR name ...
Amen.

:angel:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-01-2012, 08:02 PM
WELCOME ... to the month of March, everyone. This is the month we celebrate St. Patty's Day for all of us Irish folks; and my family has Irish on both sides ... :irish:

We went shopping on Wednesday; walked my feet off until they were sore, but we got a lot accomplished. Then, it takes me til dinnertime to get everthing sorted and put away. I always pick up something cooked so I don't have to make dinner, but DH wanted his Super Chicken Dogs; so we had that (I had mine with salad; no bun). I had picked up a BBQ Spit Chicken, so we had that tonight for dinner with tators & coleslaw and sliced tomatoes.

I picked up a couple of Flash drives for my laptop so I can save my music (songs) and pictures, plus anything else I want to store. I got them half-price so that was a great deal.

I went to bed early last night to rest my feet. Today, I felt a whole lot better -- did my bills and books for the end of February and my budget for the month of March. Plus I have to do our income tax as well. The rest of the day, we just did stuff around here; nothing big or momentous. A quiet day really ...

Tomorrow will be different though. ;) Hope you all have a Marvellous Month of March ... :luck2you:

EZMONEY
03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
ROSEBUD thanks for getting March going for us!

Gonna be a GrandpaX2 this month....

GRANDdaughter1 was born this month last year....

wilma12
03-02-2012, 10:11 AM
It's a snowy day here today. We've had an incredible winter with very little snow and now that spring is around the corner we're getting the snow. It is so pretty and we know it won't last long.

I have been getting up pretty much every morning to go on the elliptical and am increasing my time each week. I find that now I want to go longer - who would have thought??

I am going to plan a menu for next week and cut back on the sugars and fats. With DH gone most of the week I won't have to cook many of the carbs that he thinks has to be part of a meal. Pray for me please that I can do it. I find that after work its often much easier to just cook some eggs.

Garry: A year old already? Wow! Mine will be 6 months this month. And maybe I'll have another one in March too. I know the mom is hoping it'll be on time and not late. Can't wait!!

Rosebud: You seem like a very organized person and I think that's why you are having success. I'm that way at work but not so much at home. Menu planning is such a great idea and if you shop according to sale flyers it's even better!

A great weekend to you all!

bargoo
03-02-2012, 10:35 AM
You March Grandparents have nothing on me. A baby girl is expected around March 29.

qtapostolic
03-02-2012, 02:19 PM
hello! Thank you want2bhealthy for the servant's prayer, it's really beautiful!
I found a faith based group kind of interesting, since most christians really like their pot-lucks with all that scrumptious food in one sitting!:lol: I'm part of a really small congregation so we used to eat together on Sundays almost every week so as we grew spiritually we were also growing physically!:o One of our ladies just had gastric bypass surgery so it got all of our attentions. We realized getting together couldn't include bunches of food without making her feel uncomfortable, and we also had the better realization that we should all try to better our health and find other ways to spend time together. So we get together for a ladies bible study once a week with plenty of water to drink and we've all been trying to walk together throughout the week. So we are now a family getting skinny and supporting each other physically and spiritually.
Part of my weight goals for March are based on wanting to fit in some of my nicer dress clothes for a revival I've been invited to sing at sometime at the end of the month. I have so many nice clothes that I haven't been able to wear in 5yrs! And, I'd love to get back into some heels!:D
Well, I'm hoping to get to know more of you over time, hope you all have a blessed weekend!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-02-2012, 03:52 PM
:welcome: KELLY ~ That's wonderful that you are working together as a group/church to support each other. We have discussed that very thing here on our chat threads in the past -- how a lot of churches preach at people for being overweight, but then turn around and serve cakes & cookies & kool-aide after church; then there are the bake sales and the potlucks, as you say. Some churches might not be willing to cut them out (the potlucks), but they could encourage people to bring healthier food and snacks.

While we are not responsible for how others live, we do think "WE ARE OUR BROTHER'S KEEPER" to coin a phrase from the bible. How we set an example is more important than what we say, IMHO ... Now, I am not perfect by any means; and am not near where I want to be, but I am on my way. And, I am very grateful to GOD and for the support that I have received here, as my health has improved so much over the last few years. Glad you joined us over here too. :D

Oh and btw, glad you like that Servant's Prayer, but it is not one of my poems. It's been here as long as I have been, and I don't know where it came from, but it is very inspirational to us all ... :)

EDIT TO ADD: I did a search and found out that the Servant's Prayer was posted by DONNA (SunnyD57) way back in May 2004 in the CE thread for the National Day of Prayer. She said at that time that it was recorded in 1985 (probably meaning that it was a song), but she doesn't give the author's name.

HI WILMA ~ seems like you are on a roll now; good for you! Yes, I have been told that I am very organized person; it helps things run more smoothly and just eliminates one kind of stress from our lives.

Wowie, lots of March babies here; sounds like an epidemic, but a good one. ;) Have sent up some ^prayers^ concerning those tornadoes in the southern states. We pray for Angel protection around the people and pets, esp the children, LORD; and we thank you, in advance ... Amen.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend too ... :patrick:

auntnelly
03-03-2012, 09:08 AM
oops, got this on the wrong thread......

I need to get a plan for my weight loss. I am hoping to get some ideas from this forum. Does anyone know of a simple menu plan for low carb that doesn't require too much expensive meat? OK, so asking for something tough, but that is my life right now.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-03-2012, 12:57 PM
NELLY ~ you don't have to use the most expensive meats -- you can use chicken thighs or legs, turkey, tuna fish or salmon, lean hamburger, pork shoulder roasts, beef pot roast, stew beef, shoulder ham, pork chops, sausages, chicken franks, liver, eggs, cheese, and beans.

Here's a sample weekly menu; just sub in what you can afford ...

SUNDAY: roast or baked chicken/turkey with veggies
MONDAY: pot roast or ham or pork chops/steak
TUESDAY: leftovers dinner; or soup or stew
WEDNESDAY: pasta &/ hamburg meal; or casserole
THURSDAY: chicken super dogs or bean pot
FRIDAY: favorite fun meal like HM pizza; or BBQ
SATURDAY: fish & chips & coleslaw; or optional day

When we lived at home with 6 kids + parents; we had a roast beef or pork; or ham; or chicken or turkey on Sundays -- and made a stew or casserole on Monday out of the leftovers. I always made pasta & hamburg meal on Wednesdays (i.e. spagetti & meatballs).

Here are some of our favorite quick meals for families ~

-- chicken-veggie stew with dumplings
-- hamburg/onions/pasta in mushroom sauce.
-- shepherd's pie: with veggies & mash
-- hamburg hash: onions/beef gravy + mash/veggie
-- pork chops/onion in mushroom sauce + tators/veggie
-- baked chicken pieces in HM BBQ sauce/ with rice/veggies
-- hamburg patties/onions in tomatoes + mash + veggie
-- sausages/onions + tators/cream corn/coleslaw.
-- hamburger steak/onions + sliced tomatoes + tators
-- bbq ribs & chicken w/tators & coleslaw
-- meatloaf w/mash/peas & carrots
-- franks/onions & beans OR mash & veggies
-- cabbage rolls; or mock casserole
-- picnic/shoulder ham with potato-carrot scallop
-- veggie-beef stew with tea biscuits
-- seasoned liver & onions, corn/mash
-- chili bean pot with veggies
-- creamed salmon on toast or salmon patties
-- tuna &/ cheese pasta casserole
-- quiches; frittatas; omelettes w/homefries/veggies
-- stuffed pitas & tortilla wraps
-- stir-fries with rice & veggies
-- hm hot dog pizza (Sat)
-- sloppy joes (Sat)
-- fresh fish my brother caught
-- BBQ: steak, pork chops, chicken thighs, burgers, hot dogs, bangers (big sausages); corn/tators

I try to have 2 veggies; or sliced veggies; or salad with dinner meals: ie coleslaw or romaine salad or a mix of both. I had a salad of just sliced cukes & tomatoes last night. As for being low-carb, you can make those meals and just eat the meat & veggies or salad; or just have a small serving.

ECONO TIP ~ I buy the more expensive meats when they are on sale, and in bulk -- i.e. steak, chicken breasts, thighs (for BBQ), lean pork chops, back spare ribs, whole or cut-up chickens, turkeys, roasts, super chicken dogs, lean or xtra-lean hamburger, and bangers (large sausages). That way we save money, but still afford to eat the best meats too.

Chicken thighs, cross-rib/blade or sirloin steaks, rib/end pork chops, bangers, super dogs, and hamburgers are great for the BBQ. Just buy extra when they are on sale, and put them in your freezer.

Our family ate most of these meals regularly, and we were not over-weight until we started eating junkie snack foods in between the meals. ;)

auntnelly
03-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Rosebud~~ Thank you SO much for this! It is very amazing!! :hug::) I plan to print it out and study it and I think it will be very helpful. We have a crowd of boys, so food just doesn't go very far, but hoping this will help.

Funny how the cheapest stuff is usually the worst for you...but some days we just have to do with what we have.

Thanks again, and I'll have to let you know what I come up with! right now I'm headed to bed! :yawn:

EZMONEY
03-04-2012, 07:36 PM
HI LADIES :)

Angie is out walking one of our goldens, the other one and I just went for 1/4 of a block as that is all the vet allows her until we get x-rays done. She has been experiencing pain for over 10 days on the side of her knee surgery. Don't know what it is, hip, knee....??

It is a beautiful day here :) Most of the day has been in the 80's. A nice day to stay inside and watch NASCAR and my LAKERS while Angie did our taxes :carrot:

You are right about SUNNYD putting up the Servant's Prayer ROSEBUD. The thread has been around longer than the 10 years I have been here...WILMA has been here longer! I can't remember it closing, praise God :carrot:

GRANDdaughter was here yesterday afternoon through this morning for a sleepover. We had so much fun :) I can't believe she is only 3 weeks away from being a year old. My second grandchild is due next Saturday but my daughter says no signs of that happening, she thinks it will be longer. No hurry here, just praying for a safe landing for mother and child :angel:

Church was awesome today. Kids were celebrating Lutheran Schools Week. A lot of youth music, plus we had a retired Pastor that attends our church do the sermon. Our Pastor is recovering nicely from surgery. It is always, usually, nice to have someone different every once in a while. But boy do we miss our Pastor already..we sure hope he is back for Easter...that was the plan.

Well gals, I will chat later....my niece just came to get an egg :)

Bootsie
03-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone , sorry I been absent for a while. been running in circles like a blind dog. Dinners, and yesterday had the Rabies drive and I had my brother in laws Birthday and Sausage went to be with the Lord and had to bury her, thankful my brother in law helped me dig her grave.

I been trying to help Sausage but she got were she could not walk at all I made her a cage at 2 in the morning, out of wire , wire stand and my grandsons baby pen, took me about a couple hours where she could lay and not wet all over her self. I decided a week ago if she did not get better i was going to have the vet end it for she was beginning to be in so much pain . I did get her some medicine but she still was in pain. I just felt if i put her down the Devil would get her I prayed and prayed and God showed mercy on her. The day the vet was to come, I went out to feed and told her good morning little girl and she raised her head and looked at me , like she was so glad to see me and I told her i was going to go feed the sheep and come back and get her outside. When I went out to feed the sheep, I heard her howl. When I came back into the barn I saw she went to be with the Lord. I was so thankful for I knew she was with Jesus! Also thankful he let me have her for 19 years. There was times I was wondering if he was listening but should of known better for he was , he truly was.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-04-2012, 10:20 PM
:hug:BOOTSIE ~ of course, she is with GOD; animals are his beloved creations too and he loves them like we do. I prayed with you that the LORD would take her home soon, so she wouldn't have to suffer too long. I think when you decided to call the vet, that was a sign to the LORD that you were truly ready to let her go back home. I have heard of this happening before ...

And, BOOTSIE -- the LORD is always listening to us; our angels hear us too. In the book of Psalms, David mentions over and over how GOD hears and answers our prayers. Sometimes, He answers them in his time and his way; but he always answers them. I so know what you have been going through; I miss my Sweetie and darling Pin every day ... :hug:

dlparrs
03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Hi everyone. I am new here, so hope I am doing this correctly. I started the Optitrim program 4 months ago and I am down 30 lbs. I have not been able to stick to any kind of diet or programs in many many years really if ever. The wt has been creeping on and I reached my heaviest. I give God all the credit, because I cannot do it on my own. My goal when I started was 70 lbs. So I have 40 to go.
I would like to get more involved in this site for encouragement.
Thank you and God Bless

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
:welcome: DL ~ ya, you are doing just fine; glad you found us over here. I haven't been on the Optitrim plan but I think I have read about it; maybe something like medi-fast or similar plans. My sister went on that once. Seems you are well on your way -- congrats on losing 30 lbs forever; that's a great start for sure. I agree that GOD is giving us strength every day; we don't always realize He is doing that, but He is ... :D

Yesterday, I only got in to check the prayer thread; fell asleep early last night -- but I'm not complaining as that was answer to prayer for me. I had been having trouble sleeping over the last year, but lately that has been getting a whole lot better (must be all the prayers you've been saying for me). I now go to bed earlier than i did before; and that's been helping my legs alot too.

Sometimes I do a puzzle and/or read a bit first; mostly, I do a devotional and then just relax and pray for people -- I find that very calming and before I know it, I have drifted off to dreamland ... ;)

We had baked chicken pieces in BBQ sauce with veggies for dinner last night. I felt very hungry yesterday (all day), so today I made my meals a bit more filling; had some soup for lunch with my veggie-pita pizza, and then we are having a favorite pasta meal with veggies for dinner tonight. That usually helps.

The temps are really mild here today; above 12C (53 F) and it was higher than that this AM. We have :sunny: as well, so it's melting here right now. This happens every March; it melts a bit, then freezes and snows some more, and repeats the process until we have hardly any snow in April. I'm telling you, it feels like spring out there today. The birdies were even taking baths in the huge puddles on the road ... :lol:

Have a wonderful Wednesday ... :flow1:

wilma12
03-08-2012, 09:45 AM
It's been chilly here this week. But that is usual for this time of year. I'm so looking forward to spring and getting outside to walk. I've been on the elliptical most mornings and have really cut down my sugar intake. When I stepped on the scale yesterday morning I was rewarded with a 2 lb. loss! :carrot: It certainly is incentive to keep at it. I didn't exercise this a.m. but will definitely get up and go again tomorrow.

DL: Doesn't it feel good to be halfway to your goal? Keep it up. You will find lots of encouragement here.

Rosebud: Your meals sound yummy as usual. This week I had fish and broccoli. With DH gone I cook enough for myself for 2 meals so that I don't have to think about what to make for one evening. Then last night I made home made chicken soup. Knowing that I would have mostly carbs for dinner I made up for it by having a huge salad at lunch. Instead of ice cream like I usually want I bought myself a bar of dark chocolate and had a square of that after dinner. Amazingly it cut my sugar craving and is much better for me than the ice cream.

Bootsie: Sorry to hear of the loss of your dog. We lost ours a few years ago and I really did lose a friend. I made up a picture memory frame of her and even my adult sons thought that was really a great idea.

Garry: Sorry to hear that your pup is going through issues also. I hope they can figure out what is wrong so she can be helped.

Aren't grandkids great? Mine is starting to babble and I'm convinced he wants a puppy. He gets so excited to see people and is such a happy guy.
Can't wait to hear about your new arrival and really can't wait to share mine when he/she gets here.

bargoo
03-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Bootsie, I know the pain of losing our treasured friends. Sausage was so fortunate to have you to care for him and love him. God bless you for your kind and compassionate heart.

ronni62
03-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Hi, everyone! Trying to post again tonight, but I see that last night's didn't get here. Our desktop computer is in the shop for diagnostics (but they found no problems, except that it's too old) and, since our internet provider stinks, we don't seem able to keep the internet connection long enough for my posts to load from our laptop:(

Bootsie-I'm so sorry about your Sausage. I also feel that our furry friends get to go to Heaven, as the Bible does say that if the people won't praise Jesus, even the rocks will cry out. And, we know that God is providing for the sparrows, so just seems to follow that He cares for all His creatures and would allow them to join Him in paradise. :hug: and prayers for you as you grieve.

Rosebud-We have robins!! Seems that spring is here and a bit early! It was 60 here Tuesday-just wonderful!

Wilma-:carrot: sounds like you're doing great with your plan!

DL-welcome!

Hi to Bargoo, Gary, Nelly, and everyone else! As I said, we've been having computer issues-it sometimes just goes to black or white screen and has to be shut off by the back button to get it to function again. Surprised that they didn't find a problem, but, of course, they did say that it's now considered a 'vintage' machine and we'll no longer be able to get any parts for it when it dies. So, we've pretty much decided that we'll be using part of our tax refund for a new one.

We're still waiting for report on Mom's test on the hip. She said she'd call them tomorrow and we're hoping things get rolling pretty quickly for her hip replacement, so she'll get through therapy and be able to enjoy some of the coming summer.

Well, I'd better go. Hope everyone has a wonderful evening and tomorrow!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-09-2012, 01:51 PM
HI RONNI ~ Sorry you're having PC problems; good idea to splurge on a new one -- you both deserve it. I am so glad I have my new ones; the desktop NUMPSTER & DH sent up and the laptop I bought for a back-up. Should have done that a long time ago, in retrospect.

We had 55 F that same day and boy, did we have a lot melting. Was glad that our water pump kicked in for us. DH had to clean out the drain; the last people had let a pile of garbage fall into the hole so the pump was making weird sounds. Dh checked it out and now it is running nice & quiet. The most important thing is that it is working for us; yeah!!! :D

But the last two days we have had lots more of this ... :snowglo:

WILMA ~ I like the dark chocolate idea too; I have some pure dark chocolate chips in the freezer -- if I get an urge, I'll try them until I can find a bar somewhere. I usually get some for Christmas but forgot this year; next time I go shopping I will look for a good one. Congrats on the 2 lb loss; I know you've been working hard for it.

DH had a dizzy spell this AM; turns out this is a side-effect of his meds. We think we have found out what is causing the problem. He will change the time he takes the meds to 8 pm and see if that helps. If not, will have to go back to see the DOC and get that checked out. He really wants to take them becuz we both believe they are helping him remember more, and he's much less confused. If they even just kept him from getting worse, that is great; but an improvement is even better.

I made homemade Chinese fried rice with leftover chicken and veggies for lunch today. Probably will have pizza with salad (for me) for dinner tonight ... sounds like a plan.

Hope you all have a fabulous Friday everyone ... :snow4:

Bootsie
03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
My husband has had the shingles for like 3 months do they ever go away? They are not on the outside anymore but they hurt within he said. I got my vaccination, it kinda made me sick for 3 days but after that everything was alright. I had touched them at first because I did not really know they could spread from one person to another like that. I sure do not want them!

It has been raining here what a blessing! But our river is nothing but a stream barely moving we need a-lot of rain so many peoples wells going dry around here and more people moving in! Ranches turning into subdivisions every time I turn around sooner than later they are going to have to outlaw putting in subdivisions when there is a water shortage. Golf courses Gee what ever happened to common sense! With out water how are they going to survive? People want to move to the country then they want to tame it and bring their laws also . I think they ought to stay in the city if they want city laws, not move to the country where we enjoy our freedom. Is not why they moved to the country because they liked what we have why destroy it? I guess I am speaking my mind to much here but what ever happen to common sense?

Bootsie
03-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Rosebud that is good you have found a medicine that helps ,now if the doctor can figure out what is in the medicine that is causing the dizzy spells and have it took out and see if it would work . Most medicines or made with plants around us this is great it is working this may be a break through for many! Praying here for him.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-10-2012, 11:23 AM
BOOTSIE ~ am sending up ^prayers^ for David that he heals and recovers completely from that virus. I do know a lady that had it, but I can't remember how long it took to go away (we prayed for her, then never heard again). Also, that you will not catch it either. Btw, how long is it contagious for?

Heck, we don't mind that you rant a bit about the urban folks moving into the country and wanting to change it into a city; it happens in a lot of places. Sounds like some of the ranchers have given up and are selling the land off instead. Yes, they are gonna have to dig big wells for all those folks. ^Prayers^ that GOD will send some more precip down your way too. :hug:

bargoo
03-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Bootsie praying for healing for your husband.

EZMONEY
03-11-2012, 09:18 AM
So sorry BOOTSIE....

I leave prayers and will try to catch up tonight

Bootsie
03-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Thank you Gary, Bargoo and Rosebud, really don't know how long it is contagious.

auntnelly
03-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Bootie.. I also pray that your husband can be free of the shingles. I did find on the mayo clinic web site, they say you can't catch shingles from someone with shingles only chicken pox.
A person with shingles can pass the varicella-zoster virus to anyone who isn't immune to chickenpox. This usually occurs through direct contact with the open sores of the shingles rash. Once infected, the person will develop chickenpox, however, not shingles.Chickenpox can be dangerous for some groups of people. Until your shingles blisters scab over, you are contagious

There is also information on continued pain after the blisters heal. If you google that name, you might find more information. One site said there were drugs known to help with it.
Postherpetic neuralgia. For some people, shingles pain continues long after the blisters have cleared. This condition is known as postherpetic neuralgia, and it occurs when damaged nerve fibers send confused and exaggerated messages of pain from your skin to your brain.

anjsmom
03-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Hello all. Found all of you inspiring. Hope to join in each day.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-11-2012, 09:22 PM
NELLY ~ thanks for that info; thought it had something to do with chicken pox -- it's kinda confusing though. If Bootsie had chicken pox when she was a child, that would make her immune to shingles? Hope so. That after pain reminds me SRD (sympathetic reflex dystrophy): excessive pain caused by nerve damage. ^Prayers^ continue for David & Bootsie ...

BTW, DH & I have decided to stop the memory medicine DH is taking; he's just been having too many side effects from it. Dangerous ones: dizziness, falling down, blacking out (that even looked like a possible seizure to me). He can't remember it happening, but I sure do; plus he's been sweating, tremors, fitful sleep with terrible nightmares & strange illusions. I'm finding them way too scary and risky.

He forgot to take them on Friday night, and it was the first night he had a full night's sleep with total peace (no nightmares). Took the pill last night and the symptoms started all over again. I went to a drug site that said we should stop taking the meds if he had ANY of those symptoms. We were only told about possible nightmares, nothing else. We prayed about it and talked it over today, then made the decision to stop and see what happens. We'll be seeing his doctor to talk to him about this too.

It's been a huge responsibility on me to have to make such a difficult decision, but I just won't risk his safety or life. However, we are going to continue the Vitamin B-12/complex therapy as there are no side effects to that. Thanks for all your prayers about this matter.

:welcome: ANJSMOM ~ Glad you found us over here; always happy to have more people join us ... :D

I had to lay down this aft as I was feeling nauseous & feverish (could be hormones or low sugar; not sure). So we prayed and it got better. Anyhow, I took that time to read the bible, say thanks & praize verses, and pray for people -- that always makes me feel better. Then we had mock fried chicken (baked in the oven) with new tators & veggies; nice Sunday dinner.

Sending up prayers all our friends here have a good week coming up .... :hug:

bargoo
03-12-2012, 10:15 AM
anjsmom, welcome, so glad to have you here, please keep coming back.

luc1313ky
03-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I, too, have reading here for a few days. You are inspiring group. I truly enjoy your posts and uplifting messages.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-12-2012, 02:20 PM
:welcome2: LUCKY ~ oh, I'm glad to see that you already found us over here. Look forward to getting to know you a bit more, and hope you'll join our PRAYER WARRIOR's thread too (that is our Prayer Partners group in this forum). And, come back often ... :)

auntnelly
03-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Rosebud sorry to hear about the meds and the side effects. I wonder if there is a different one he could try? Glad he may see some relief from quitting, but there is the concern for the memory part, I understand.

Also about shingles....what it said is if you have had chicken pox, you can get shingles. However, you do not "catch" shingles from someone who has them, you can only catch the chicken pox. So if she has had chicken pox she should be fine. They don't totally understand why shingles happen.
hope that makes some sense. :)

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
NELLY ~ Yes, when we talk to his doctor, we'll ask if there is another medicine he can take, but one without such serious side effects. Yes, I am curious as to how & why people get shingles; as I said, I had a friend who had them a few+ years ago, and she asked me the same question at that time, but I didn't know the answer. It is still a bit confusing; think I'll go to the Mayo site and do a bit of reading too. ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-13-2012, 07:37 PM
We had another mild day today, and more is melting as we speak. I can even see some grass in the front yard and our laneway is half melted. I'm glad for that becuz it was a sheet of ice, and didn't want to even venture out there. We're supposed to have some :sunny: for then next two days so that should clear away some more.

Eating is going well this week: had a lean pork chop with veggies & a brown & wild rice/barley mix for dinner last night. Tonight, I made a chunky stew from the leftover chicken from Sunday -- a nice thing to have when it's wet and chilly outside. :D

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow ... :flow1:

Bootsie
03-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Pretty day in Texas today, wish i felt better felt like road kill all day ,so hungry tried to eat all healthy but why so hungry don't understand unless its the medicine the doc has me on. Hope everyone has a great day tomorrow! I gotta work, hope there is not much lifting, don't know if I am up to it yet.

ronni62
03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Hi, everyone! It's been a stressful couple days, but getting on here and having others to pray for is helping:)

I learned about shingles a few years ago as my DH has had them twice. Anyone who's had chicken pox can get shingles. The virus that causes chicken pox never actually dies, but remains dormant in our bodies. It is a herpes virus, but different from the STD type. For some, later in life, the virus may become active again, sometimes due to stress or some kind of immune system issue, causing shingles. Shingles frequently causes rashes on the body, usually along lines of a particular nerve, but can also be invisible, with the 'rash' being internal. They have found that if caught early enough, anti-viral meds will shorten the duration of the shingles and capsaicin ointments help greatly with the rashes. Seems like I also heard that there may be injections for the nerve pain that can occur, especially if it isn't caught right after the virus has become active again. For anyone over 60, there's an immunization now, also. Even though DH has had them twice, they won't let him get the immunization until he's over 60, so we just hope he doesn't succumb again.

And, I'll be praying for both Bootsie's and Rosebud's DH's. Rosebud-those side effects must be very scary for your DH! I'll pray that the doc can find something effective without the nasty effects.

Welcome to our newbies!

As I said it's been a stressful couple days for me. We received my dad's remains yesterday, which just made me sad again. Not sure when we'll be able to arrange the burial, but at least he's now back with family. I know the part of him that still lives has been gone for 2 years now, but it was bothering me that his body was with strangers, even though the body donation was what he wanted. Not sure if it's a 'closure' issue or not, but I do feel more at ease now that his remains are here.

Then, today, I found out that the mother of one of my oldest friends has colon cancer that has spread to her liver. Surgery will be in a couple weeks, then chemo, and if it goes well, she may have 3 more years, but I know God does incredible things, so I know that healing is possible! Whatever happens, she's a wonderful Christian woman and knows she'll be going home to Jesus whenever her time comes and her family will join her there in their own time! Her name is Leitha if you all feel led to pray for her.

Well, I'm feeling the time change and really need to rest, so I'll let you go. Take care and have a great evening and tomorrow!

Bootsie
03-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks Ronnie for the info. I got my vaccination, was sick for 3 days from it my arm looked like a yellow jacket got it, and was just so tired .Got over it though and they told me you don't have to be 60 or over , anymore . I told them i want it for I was sleeping with a man with shingles!
Weed eated around today and got into some stinging weeds ,man they sting and my arm is tingling.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-15-2012, 07:58 PM
BOOTSIE ~ glad that you are feeling better today; but not so good that you got into some Stinging Nettles, by any chance? I have days like you where I feel famished, esp in the afternoon; so I am just having a bigger snack then to see if that helps. If it doesn't, I'll switch and have a bigger lunch instead. Hope to find a solution eventually.

RONNIE ~ yes, thanks for that Shingles/chicken pox info; geepers bad enuff you get the chicken pox when you are young but then you can get the shingles later on. Hope your DH never gets them again.

My DH wasn't as alarmed as I was -- I think he wanted the meds to work so badly that he was playing things down a bit. After three times, and possibly a fourth where he had an accident with his bike & wagon crashing on top of him, we couldn't ignore it anymore. They were getting worse as time went on; and his ribs were badly hurt. He kept saying he just tripped. The last time he collapsed right in front of me. It appeared more like a mini-seizure, but he doesn't remember it -- that's what happens when you black out. Anyways, we stopped the meds and no more incidences so far. His ribs are getting better; but he just has to be careful how he bends.

I just did light housechores in the AM; and bookwork for 2011 (sorting out all our bills and such for the year end) in the afternoon. We had such lovely weather today -- 60 F in the sun porch. Our lane is all melted & clear now; yeah! They are expecting more :sunny: and warm temps right up until the weekend; hope that's so. It really feels like spring out there.

Overall, I have been able to stay within my daily calories, even on the days that I feel hungrier than normal. Today, I had leftover pasta from yesterday and DH had his super dogs that he loves. I also had a salad to help fill me up more. Still have some calories left for a snack later.

Hope everyone is having a great week ... :flow1:

wilma12
03-16-2012, 09:57 AM
What incredible weather we're having here this year! Usually we expect cooler weather and storms but we are expecting summer like weather this weekend and all of next week. No more excuses - must get outside to walk!

Bootsie: I have a friend who has had shingles. It's very painful. Praying for a quick recovery.

We used to have the stinging nettles on our property out in the country and our kids kept getting into it. A trick to stop the stinging was to dab vinegar on the spots. Our guys would come running into the house yelling "get the vinegar!"

Rosebud: So sorry to hear that your DH's medication isn't working well for him. Hopefully your doc will be able to give his something different to help him. You sure don't want him getting hurt. It must have been scary for you to watch him have the seizures.

Ronnie: I'm sure that having your dad's ashes near you will bring closure. It probably feels like things haven't been quite completed. Praying for you and also for your friend with colon cancer. Not an easy thing to deal with.

Hello to the newbies. Hope to get to know you better!

I've had a good week. I've exercised each morning and have really worked on my eating. I've tried to cut out sugar and white flour products as much as I can. It was easy when DH was away but now that he's back it'll be a lot harder. He's a snacker and not of veggies! I'll just have to keep my hands away from his stuff.

Have a great weekend!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
RONNI ~ I missed reading the last half of your last post; lots of distractions here yesterday. Had to help DH out with a few little issues; got them solved by last night. Hope this isn't TMI, but DH developed some bicycle seat burn, and so I went hunting for some zinc cream which he said is really helping. He rides his bike a lot and this is one down side; geepers, that guy has sure had his problems lately.

I hope having your Dad's ashes does help bring you some comfort and closure. Will be sending up some ^Prayers^ for your friend's mom: Leitha too. :hug:

WILMA ~ yes, it was more scary for me than him watching it, but he seems OK now, and that's a big relief to me. Yes, I wanted the meds to help his memory, but not at the risk of his safety and life. We'll keep looking to find something else.

We have had amazing weather here too; it is 68 F here today with :sunny: and they didn't expect that until the weekend. I spent a while walking around and sitting on our nice front porch. Apparently, they are expecting it to go into the 70's now. Wow, like summer here too; awesome baby!!! :D:D:D

Hope everyone is enjoying all this fantastic weather ... :flow1:

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-18-2012, 02:54 PM
GARY ~ Absolutely adorable pictures of your grand-daughters -- I love the red hat one: so cute! Thanks for sharing ... :D

Hey, summer has arrived in our parts and they are predicting the 80's F for tomorrow (in March ??? ... in Northern Ontario ???) -- oh dear, I'm getting concerned about a :hot: :hot: :hot: summer. Oh, I hope not ... I don't mind seasonably warm, but not too warm. Oh, I can hear thunder-boomies right now; guess we're in for a spring storm ... :lol:

This is year of firsts for us here in our new home ~ we just went through our first fall, and our first winter. Our furnace did a great job and kept us warm here and the cost was reasonable. Now, I like it around 68 F but others might like it warmer or cooler. Presently, we are experiencing our first spring. Our biggest concern was if the pump & drain system could handle all that melting snow -- so far, so good. We have a double drain system -- one with a pump; and it sounds like a stream is going under the house (but that's OK). DH monitors it daily. I'm just glad it's all working how it's supposed to; thank you, GOD!!!

Eating went well this week: Friday I had chicken patties with onions & salad; and on Saturday, I had fish, corn, and a mixed salad and felt quite full. Today, I am planning on chicken of some kind with veggies & salad.

Hope you all have a Super Serene Sunday ... :flow1:

wilma12
03-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Congratulations Gary, They are both adorable. Now you're really making me antsy about meeting our new one. Everytime the phone rings I hope it's them giving me the good news.

Rosebud: We are having much the same weather here as you. Unbelievable! People out in shorts when it's usually snowing and really cold. I'm loving every minute of it. I plan to begin getting out in the evening to walk even though it's dark here by 8 p.m. We live in a safe neighbourhood so I'm not worried about safety.

auntnelly
03-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Gary very cute! I am jealous, I am actually a grandma but our granddaughter lives too far for us to see her often. You are fortunate to be close!

Rosebud we had an unusually warm winter here. Nearly no snow to match our drought from the past year. Today we have rain! :carrot:Yeah, we really need it although I hate dealing with the mud.

I am struggling with the whole lose weight thing....to be honest, we are in a financial situation that does not allow us to purchase the foods I need. Even with the wonderful ideas presented by Rosebud, I am at a loss because we don't buy much of what we eat, but it is given to me at places I go get it from. And it is carbs and canned veggies for the most part. Even eating less doesn't help like it used to when I was younger.:(

We have much compared to many, so I don't want to sound ungrateful. But I have no hope left in our finances ever being better. I'm at home with the kids, and DH is self-employed with is a blessing as well as difficult. We would have to make a HUGE jump in income to offset the other help we get. Especially for he kids' medical insurance which is state provided right now. If we make a little more, we would actually get in a worse condition.

I know there are no answers, but thanks for listening :D

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Dear NELLY ~ I believe there are always answers ... there is always HOPE! There are many people who live well on lower incomes; and that includes my DH & I. We used to live on one income, so we grew a garden every year. There was a time when our total monthly income was under $400.00, and we had to pay rent & hydro, car insurance, and gas for DH to go to work out of that.

Even with my physical challenges, I was able to plan, help seed & tend our garden. Anyone can grow a garden, and augment their food pantry & freezer that way. I also cleaned the veggies, cut them up, and put them in the feezer in "bread bags" we saved from our bread. I even saved the margarine containers and put stuff in them too.

Seeds only cost pennies; you can by the packs on sale or buy them in bulk like we did at hardware/garden suppliers or farmer's co-ops and feed stores. DH made a greenhouse from tree poles & plastic (we bought the roll) that lasted for years. We grew tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet peppers in there.

In our main gardens, we grew potatoes (red & white), early corn, carrots, onions (from sets), turnips (winter & summer), cabbage (red & green), peas, green & yellow beans, zucchini, lettuces, radishes (different kinds), and swiss chard yearly. Sometimes, i also grew early spinach; and we even got ground cherries to grow here one year too.

I experimented; some things worked out, some didn't but we learned which veggies grew best in our colder & shorter seasons. I filled our freezer every fall and we had veggies for the winter. The first year, we paid a local farmer to turn over our soil (to till) our gardens; we had two (one for potatoes and corn, and the other for the rest (We started with one though). We made wide rows so we could get more in them and scatter planted; very simple and easier on the back.

SCATTER PLANTING: pull soil back; sprinkle seeds over row; rake soil on top of seeds and tamp down. You can use a rake to do that, but DH later made a tamper (just a pole with a piece of flat board on the end).

Even eating one portion at each meal, should result in losing some weight, esp if you worked in your garden each day -- it's fab exercise too. DH made me a bench so I could rest in spurts; then sit and watch my garden grow. ;)

You have kids who can help you; and it would be a great learning experience for them too. We were all taught how to plant and tend a garden when we were kids and it sure came in handy as adults becuz many of us will go through a sparce time at some time in our lives.

We even taught others how to garden and save money too. We taught them that anyone can plant a small salad garden with only 6' x 6' square, or 6' x 2' side garden. I also grew herbs as well. We still have gardens here, mostly with perennial flowers in them and a double Rhubarb patch. We have two half barrels that I am going to grow string beans in becuz they are expensive here and I just like them a lot.

My DH and I also made crafts and sold them for PIN money (we used that for food & seed mostly). We also made crafts and gave them as gifts. Our parents instilled the power of thrift in us all; and my grand-father was a life-long avid gardener, teaching anyone who would listen. We even had our own chickens & turkeys for meat and eggs for a few years (when we lived in the country).

They say "WHERE THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY" ... I really believe there are hundreds of ways to increase ones' income or save money. With just a little research and know-how, it can be done. A little creativity can go a long, long way. Our family did it; we did it; and others continue to do it now during theses hard times in the US -- and so can you and your kiddies.

Things always get better. The US will not be in the slumps forever; these types of things are often cyclical. Sending up ^prayers^ for you that GOD will renew your hope ... :D

auntnelly
03-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Rosebud My DH grew up on a farm so is always planting a garden, however, we do not have a well here to water a garden. He regularly gets the boys out there working in it. It gets very hot, even when it rains, watering is necessary to make it grow past the end of July. Last year we were in a drought, and it was pointless to spend $70+ a month to water a garden for the small return we would get, so the plants died last year. We do a small garden each year though and use it until it dries up.

But it is small space for a garden, but we do work at it, and DH is dedicated to it. It is for a family of 9 right now, so that is just not the same as needing stuff for a smaller crowd.

I have prayed for years for the change in finances, and for years I had great hope. We purchased a business and I had believed we were on the road to more financial stability. Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT about getting more and more, I just want provision for what we need...shoes for the kids, good food and the basics.

We were doing very well, until 9-11 and the following down turns in the economy...then cash for clunkers....then the rescission...

God has blessed us with children, not finances and I struggle finding hope any longer after 12 years, deteriorating buildings and equipment and no way to upgrade to the very expensive computer equipment needed for the business to be more competitive in the auto repair market.

I do appreciate the encouragement. I do know how to skimp and be thrifty. We do without lots of things, no cable TV for starters. We buy used clothes and save everything for the next child down when possible. Take anything people offer us. At some point though, there is no more to do be done, you just need some money:smug:

DH can do nearly all of our repairs, but there HAS to be money for the supplies, the paint, the glass, the new carpet, etc.

We pay in excess of $700 a month for health insurance for starters, and that is cheap, I have investigated that. We use every program we can. We have 4 paper routes we use for a little extra cash. I know there is probably more that can be done, but there is only so much energy in our bodies and having relationships with our children remains at the top of the list.

My DH has written a rough draft of a children's book. :D It is a story he has told the kids for years. Some of the boys are gifted artistically, but aren't as motivated to draw for the book, but we are working on that as a way to make income at some point. I found a site on how to publish and construct books by hand. So we plan to work toward that goal.

Really our only hope has always been in the Lord. I just feel forgotten in this area, while having been very blessing in many others. I know it isn't true, just not finding it easy to persevere.:( I have no support here and I don't have any good friends either.

Oh well, there is my sob story :o

ronni62
03-19-2012, 03:45 PM
The unbelievable warmth is here too! We even slept with some of the windows open last night! My crocuses and daffodils are blooming now too and the hyacinth aren't far behind:flow1:

Thanks for the prayers, too. I've been sleeping better since we received Dad's ashes. I had been having a lot of nightmares. I know donating his body to the medical school was what he wanted, but, I have to tell you, it's harder on the family to have to wait 2 years to have the burial. Of course, Dad had prohibited us from having any kind of memorial also, so it just seemed 'unfinished.' Now, still don't know when we'll be able to travel to Indiana to bury his ashes, but at least he's here.

And, on that last note, I'm going to vent a bit here---you all know my mom has to have a hip replacement. Her tests came out ok, so the surgery was scheduled for next week, but Mom had it changed because my sister, who does not live here and has not been helping with anything as far as Mom's shopping, library visits, cleaning, etc, wants to come up to 'help' for the 3 or 4 days after the surgery, but she wants to go ON VACATION next week!! So, Mom called and had the surgery changed and the earliest they can do it is May 1st! Now, my sister has had 3 vacations of at least a week each since Mom became unable to do any of her own shopping, etc, in October and none of them have been here:( So, now, of course, May 1st is in the middle of my son's soccer season and moving older son back from college for summer, plus Mom's rehab may take all summer, which means there's no way we'll be able to go anywhere or do anything. We haven't had a vacation in 2 years & I'm really peeved about this. I know my sister has always been Mom's favorite, but it would have been nice if our plans and obligations would have been factored into this mess.

So, anyway, thanks for letting me vent.......:o

Hope you're all having a better day than I am-take care!

EZMONEY
03-20-2012, 08:51 PM
RONNI we can take it! Keep venting :tantrum:

That's what we are here for :hug:

Great advice and ideas as always ROSEBUD :)

AUNTNELLY...The Lord has blessed me with a little extra to give each week to our church food bank. I find it always a problem when deciding what to buy....do I buy the cheaper spaghetti and meatballs type stuff, where I can feed 2 families or do I buy the healthier canned foods where I feed only 1 family?....but then, I always come back to this....why don't you (ME) give up something and give the good stuff for 2 families...

sometimes I do :)

and sometimes I don't :(

WILMA isn't being a grandparent the most wonderful thing evvv-err! :carrot: Prayers all is well with yours :hug:

BOOTSIE...Whenever I hear the word Texas....I think of you :)

anjsmom and luc1313ky...welcome :)

auntnelly
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
EZ That is wonderful that you give to the food bank. It is people like you who have really helped our family in these past years.

I know that we use the food bank to supplement our food budget. I suppose that the more people you can help the better. If you have nothing, anything to eat is good. I do find it frustrating that nearly everything is not healthy, but if it is all I have, at least we aren't starving :D obviously since I am over weight, I'm not starving. :o

I do know what helps us the most are not the canned veggies, or jello. Those are cheap to buy, but it seems we get those the most often.

What is the most helpful for us are items which are more expensive to purchase on our own. Like boxed cereal, canned tuna or other canned meats, peanut butter, boxed crackers are always a hit with the kids. The spaghetti and sauce makes a meal, and is great. Being able to make a main dish with items I receive is very helpful as well.

Things that require refrigeration are the most helpful, but not very practical for a food bank. Our small town has included coupons for a local grocery store that can be used for meat, milk, cheese or fresh produce. Those really help the most. Since purchasing these items is the most expensive.

And one pet peeve?? Outdated food items. I know I should be grateful, but I throw it away when the date is over a year past. I have actually gotten things dated 3 or 4 years in the past, and some spoiled items as well. I don't want to make my family sick, which would cost way more than the can of veggies or whatever that I just threw in the trash ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-21-2012, 11:33 AM
NELLY ~ not only do DH & give to our local food bank regularly, we are also former recipients ... at that time I mentioned in the previous post (about 10 ten years ago) when our income was so low. A friend of DH's told him about the food bank he was helping (they had just started it). DH just went one day and came home with some food to help augment what we had. We would go shopping afterwards for what we couldn't get there.

They had a large freezer installed for frozen foods, and coolers for vegetables that local farmers would donate too, which was really a great idea. We know exactly what you mean about your experience (the same) and we give what we would have liked to receive. My favorite things to donate are canned tuna, salmon, ham, beans, soup, peanut butter, pasta & sauce. Our food bank posted a list of the most desired foods in our local paper.

Of course, as time went on -- GOD blessed us and we are able to buy our own food now; but we appreciated the help so much. Even during that time, we donated household items and toys we made to their second-hand shop (and we still do). They sell new & used donated items and use that money to help pay for the food. It was a terrific idea that has helped so many people in town. That also helped people who couldn't afford to buy new furniture, small & large appliances, dishes, clothes, etc. They also provided full dinner items for Christmas baskets too, including vegetables!

The people in our town are very generous & giving; and the volunteers worked hard to provide the best food they could get. I wish no-one needed to go to a food bank, but they provide a service that helps people so much, esp during hard economic times. We are THANKFUL TO GOD that our area is in an economic upturn right now; and many people are doing much better with the jobs we have now.

Our provincial & federal goverments are also doing wonderful things right now to help low-income families -- 1) by providing low cost or free health care 2) cash child benefits 3) cash tax credit rebates 4) cash rebates & discounts for taxes on heat & hydro bills. All these are helping low income people so they have more money to buy food and clothing each month. It is a brilliant way to redistribute our wealth and raise the standard of living for the disadvantaged; and it is helping people more than they will ever know ...

BTW, $700.00 a month for healthcare premiums is :yikes: shocking :yikes: to me -- that's more than we pay for our house. Here, your family wouldn't likely pay more than $90.00 a month (or less), as premiums are based on your income. People with very low incomes, like the disabled, sick, unemployed, seniors, and students get free healthcare. You only pay if you can ...

Your people need to support OBAMA more as he is attempting to provide more affordable healthcare and other social reforms. You also need to VOICE your opinions more; an election is coming up in your country -- why not use your vote to voice your needs & wants in that way!

OK, I'll get off my :soap: now ... :lol:

ronni62
03-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Nelly-I'm so sorry about the downturn in your finances over the last few years. It's unbelievable that people will give expired items to the food banks-if someone won't eat it themselves, they shouldn't be giving it to anyone else! I'm sure you've checked into everything, but just wanted to mention a couple more-our church has it's own foodshelf, so wondering if yours does, too? Also, where we lived before, the Salvation Army had a foodshelf that gave away fresh bread and dairy items every week, but I know not all of them have that option. It's been known for many, many years that those with less income can easily develop 'poverty belly'-gaining weight from only being able to afford the cheaper foods-white pastas instead of whole grain and fresh veggies, cheap sugary boxed cereals instead of the lower sugar varieties, although the bagged (Malt-o-meal here) cheerios-type are really cheap here. You said your hubby is handy-is there a way to barter for some things? Help a farmer fix things in trade for eggs or meat? Just some things we have done when times were harder for us. You're in my prayers:hug:

Gary-thanks for the permission to vent:lol: I know it's really a minor thing compared to what others are going though, but it just seems as if my family's wishes are never taken into consideration. Kind of a 'they never do anything or have any money, so why should I consider what they say' thing. I'm feeling like I'm just the shopping and taxi service and we must wait until sister's available, because she'll be taking care of mom....yeah, for a few days, then it's back to me.:soap: climbing down, now....

Rosebud-you always have lots of great ideas! And, I agree partly that our country does need more reform, but, unfortunately, there is so much 'extra' in the health care package they pushed through that it's only going to hurt more in the long run. One example is that college students are no longer able to obtain student loans through a private lender (bank or credit union), only through the gov't. Why is something like that included in a health care reform? That's just one small example of some of the extra stuff that was thrown into the 2000+ page reform bill that none of the legislators read prior to voting on it. But, the reform is not all bad-I like that my son won't have to worry about paying for health insurance until he's 26, as that means if he takes a year off college to work, he'll still have coverage through DH's employer. It's just that too many politicians stuck too many of their pet issues into the bill and shoved it through. That's why I like the idea of line-item veto, so that kind of stuff could be stopped. I don't know why they didn't just do something to stop insurance companies from gouging everyone all the time.....oh, yeah, it's because the insurance companies pay a lot for their politicians to get into office....greed, greed, greed. Gosh, there I went again:soap:

Hmmmmm.....I may be channeling my dad with all the commentary today:lol: He died 2 years ago today-hardest day of my life, as we had to make the decision to have his ventilator removed. Just breaks my heart every time I think about it. What was supposed to be a simple surgery turned so very bad, so very quickly.

Well, I hope you all have a great day! We have to go to town for errands (ours and Mom's) and soccer practice, then DS3's youth group tonight :) Take care, friends!

auntnelly
03-21-2012, 02:30 PM
Rosebud Just FYI...there is SO much about the healthcare bill that is SO not talked about. Already premiums are going UP, not down. I heard this morning about 9% for most, on top of last year's increase of about 6%. Since the government is requiring insurance companies to cover more and more, someone has to pay and it is those purchasing the insurance. We have a grandfathered in plan, if we decide we want OR are required to take a new plan, our premiums will increase, yes INCREASE $20-25%. No, this healthcare "Fix" is not a fix, it is been made to look good, but there are huge issues. It will go before the courts next week, and personally, even in our situation, I do not support it.

It was designed to give some great benefits right away, like allowing children to stay on their parent's health plan until 26 years, which we have benefited from. Also the insurance companies can not deny children with preexisting conditions any longer. So the insurance companies changed their policies and most no longer will insure just a child alone. I went through this helping my DIL get insurance for her baby. Their state offers one plan, available ONE time a year, and is a major medical. After deductibles of like $2,500, they will start to help with costs. So even though she was covered by her employer at $180 a month, to add her daughter would cost over $600 a month. She took out another policy for herself so she could add her daughter, BUT she had to stay on her other coverage, because there are NO policies that cover maternity when purchasing them personally. These are just 2 examples, there are many more.

This was a 2,700 page document and most of those voting for it, did not even know what was contained in it. THAT is not a good plan. After it passed, it was up to the government agency to "define" all the terms that were used in the bill. Like "preexisting condition" and "preventative health services" etc etc.

It is 2 years before any help is available with premium costs, 4 years from the passage of the program. Our children already receive health insurance until age 19 through the state due to our income, but since we are self-employed, we are responsible to purchase our own insurance.

The estimated costs of the healthcare bill have doubled, and our government does not have the money to cover it. We are already have a deficit of over $14 trillion dollars. No, we need a fix, but this is not one. This is a nightmare, really.:rolleyes: It is a total mess and will destroy our country. IMHO. :D
Ok, off MY soapbox :flow2:

Ronni Yes, we have tried it ALL. We have a friend who actually gets food from a man who gets the day old stuff from a local grocery. She takes what she wants and gives us the rest, but is is not consistent..we do not starve, some times I just feel frustrated and angry about our situation, but it could be very much worse, so I am grateful the Lord has provided so much for us. He has reminded me provision is not always more money. He is right of course ;)
That must be rough to have to make such a decision about your Dad. Tough day for you, I'm sure :(

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-21-2012, 05:18 PM
NELLY & RONNI ~ ya, thanks for sharing more details of the new reforms -- this is common when such a huge program is being created, esp at the beginning. We are decades ahead of you and have had a long time to iron out the kinks. We still have issues becuz all costs keep rising, but we should never "throw the baby out with the bath water" so2speak. The health bill is still a good idea: but it will take them some time to refine the program and improve it, so hang in there ...

And as for the ways of your political system; I'm sure all of those wars over that last decade contributed hugely to your national debt. I felt sorry for Obama (or anyone who had to come into office and try to fix that big mess); and it will be up to future politicians to try to whittle away at those problems and huge debts. All countries have debt, but your country has some work to do for sure.

During hard times, governments often spend more $$$ to try to keep the economy flowing and make sure no-one starves; but when things start to roll again, they can start paying that off. It is always better to do something, than nothing. Plus, if people get the medical care and education they need, then they will be able to work and pay more taxes, so in the long run -- it is better to do this now (even if it hurts for awhile). Things like this take time: but future generations will be very grateful that all this reform took place, trust me ... :D

We've been through tough times; our country has too. As I've mentioned here before, we experienced a horrific recession in the 80's & 90's that rivaled the great depression -- but we pulled through, and so will your country. We pray for your country all the time; and I agree with RONNIE's sentiments about why this is all happening.

There are some huge spiritual lessons going on here too. We have to get our priorities right: people matter! Lives matter! Greed is a sin! People need to understand that GOD hears his people crying; He sees them suffering and dying, and it does not please Him. He has blessed your nation, but then what happened -- the people were forgotten. The government forgot they are elected to help & serve the people, not themselves. Words from your constitution are ringing in my ears -- for the people, by the people, of the people ... and so on.

When people can't afford to eat, or are homeless, or can't get health care, or an education that they need & deserve as a citizen of a rich & powerful nation, then something is amiss -- reforms are needed, and the people need to demand them and help them get it right!!!

And today, GOD impressed something upon me -- Jesus said that he will never foresake us, but also warned us that we would have tribulations in this life. GOD didn't promise us all six-figure incomes & mansions here. Now all this reform is probably answer to the prayers of many of GOD's children, so they could use some support & encouragement.

What GOD wants from us is this -- FAITHFULNESS ... that's all He wants; in good times, and bad. Things will get better, but He has to work through people and governments, and you know that can sometimes be a bit slow. ;)

So, in the meantime, we must pray and help each other the best we can. I love RONNIE's idea about bartering skills & talents for food, etc. We did that too. WE made it through, and we didn't starve; GOD always provides a way. WE have to keep things in perspective -- poor compared to what or to whom? Compared to people in Ethiopia? or Bangledesh? Or just compared to John Smith down the street? :lol:

We were blessed; and even during the hard times, which wasn't always fun, I never thought or felt that GOD had abandoned us. People may have; friends or family may have; employers may have; our country may have; but GOD didn't! HE was faithful; HE gave us hope; and HE carried us through those times ... right up to today. And since then, our people and our government have made huge strides to make things better for all of us; and I am truly grateful for that!

Perfection? We must be realistic. We must look at the many blessings we have now; and continue to work hard to fix the things that need fixin' -- and support those who are "trying to make a difference". OK, now it's my time to get off the :soap: again ... :D

:hug: to you RONNI ~ I understand this is a hard day/time for you all ... :hug:

EZMONEY
03-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Obama-care...

just say NO!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Well, we've had beautiful weather here since last week-end -- temps up to 81 F yesterday and lots of :sunny:. We had a :rain: storm in the night with a bit of hail, and the temps are slowly cooling down but still in the 60's today. We've had the furnace off all week too. Hey, we don't mind ... :)

Eating has been good; finding ways to stave off cravings with fresh fruit and tea. Upped my breakfast and that has helped a bit too. I had fitful sleep last night, so spent the time praying for people and eventually dozed off. DH was off early this AM -- he was asked to clean up our local golf course, so he'll be gone til lunch. OOPS -- correction, they had already cleaned it and wanted him to come and get some stuff from them. (DH is a "Scrappy"; that is his little hobby so he doesn't get too bored).

I'll just get my daily chores done; and maybe hang out a bit of laundry while the warm temps last. Now that it is lighter sooner, I am waking up earlier in the morning. Time to go have my breakfast now as my tummy is gnawing at me ... :lol:

Have a great day everyone ... :flow1:

auntnelly
03-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Yep to that EZ :)

Rosebud you have so many great things to say. I appreciate your encouragement to trust God. I some times just fall apart when the next kid comes to me with a need I can't fill. We don't live very poorly though, and they get lots of great gifts at Christmas from relatives. And to be honest, we have come a long ways from when we first got married and God HAS increased our income and blessed us. He provided us with a larger house when 9 of us were living in 1200 square feet of house.....just the up keep has not been possible, with the costs involved. God has blessed us many times over the years, and it is good to remember. I just get frustrated and down at times because the "hard" keeps going with no end, so after 25 years of struggling financially, I am just short on perseverance right now.:) but we ARE blessed and have been in many ways.

Just FYI.... "guaranteeing" everyone has health insurance, does not guarantee everyone will get medical care.

1) We are using state health insurance for the kids right now, and finding Drs and dentists who will care for them, is NOT guaranteed. I won't start on this, but it is never discussed, although I have lived it for 25 years and I KNOW not everyone will have a DR to treat them as they hold that insurance card.

2) Having health insurance does not guarantee someone can afford health care. Right now, I have had some heart "stop" feelings at night that comes and goes, and I tried to find answers last summer. We still have bills from that, and I ran out of coverage before I even made an apt for a cardiologist. I can't afford healthcare even WITH insurance. Having a $2,000 deductible, plus $1,000 co-insurance after that per family member, is not helpful in the normal day to day expenses of healthcare. This is the kind of thing that is not talked about either.
When I registered with the hospital to have our last child, they wanted to know how I would pay that deductible. I said "I can't" and "no I can't make $100 a month payments, and no I can't make $50 a month payments." All they could do was have my apply for THEM (the hospital) to write off our bill due to income. This is the HOSPITAL, not the Government, BTW. And we did qualify, but this is just because we have a generous hospital. Not sure I would have gotten care for the baby's birth otherwise.

No, having health insurance does not guarantee anything....it doesn't for me. Although I am treated better when I offer an insurance card.:D One good thing, I suppose.

ronni62
03-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Rosebud-you are a very wise woman:hug:

Nelly-You will get through this & I agree with you about the lack of healthcare available when you're on a gov't program. My MIL has had many issues of that kind, even to the point that, when she needed implants for dentures (as her gums had receded too far to hold her standard dentures in place), medicaid paid for the implants, but AFTERWARDS, told her they wouldn't pay for the dentures that she needed to go with them. She spent 2 years with only implants and a partial upper denture before they finally gave her an exception. Total ridiculousness! She also had to go to court to force them to allow her to get a medication prescribed by her doctor because all the others she had tried (that were approved) did not work or she was allergic to them. That battle took almost a year, during which she was on no medication for the problem at all. I agree with Rosebud that our country's health care system and insurance industry needs much overhaul, but I don't think our gov't officials have a clue what needs to be done, as they don't live in the REAL WORLD. Prayers always:hug:

Got through yesterday and thinking about Dad's situation when he died made me realize that I needed to talk to Mom before she has her surgery to make sure we know all her wishes in case things would turn bad, like with Dad. Also, needed to know where all her paperwork is and what insurances she has and .........So, this is a head's up for everyone else-if you don't know your parent's wishes or if they have a living will or medical power of attorney or even what bills they have to pay, it's time for a talk:)

Tomorrow, I have to take Mom to Mayo for pre-surg consultations and etc. I'll also be having blood-work done in the further attempt to determine what type of arthritis I have and what should be done about it (if anything). So, it will be a long day. DH had to go to MN today for the funeral of his former plant manager, so we're just traveling all over lately-wish it was for nicer reasons!

You all take care & have a great day!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-22-2012, 11:58 AM
Yes, NELLY ~ I understand what you are saying -- our government has the only health insurance, and it differs from the way private insurance is run. Our government plan is way superior to the one you have: for instance, 1) there is NO deductable: no-one pays anything up front. 2) births are covered for all 3) everyone has a health card so there is no favortism (or there's not supposed to be; ahem) 4) no hospital or doctor can turn anyone away for any reason 5) only frivolous procedures are excluded i.e. cosmetic surgery (only one WL surgery is covered) 6) basic health care & surgeries are covered for everyone.

BUT, we do have one group that doesn't pay taxes and opted out of care which has caused problems for them and for the doctors (not getting paid) -- our natives don't pay taxes but would go to the doctors with no health card, so now we all have to present our card at the door or you don't get in. I believe they could get a card but I think they have to pay premiums for it (but not sure on that). Our natives didn't want to pay any taxes of any kind and by doing that, they opted out of provincial care & some pensions; which was a grave error IMO. I admit that I really don't know all the details & facts, but hopefully they will get that all worked out too.

Everyone else pays taxes, even the poor (sales & service taxes, land & property taxes, school taxes, business taxes, pst & gst or now hst, plus income taxes, and more); that's why they can receive insurance, pensions, plus rebates & credits, etc. And, our gov keeps the premiums free or low so that everyone can have health care. Your system is too much like the private system, so it has huge holes in it. Hopefully, they will be able to fix that in the future somehow.

BTW, I'm not advocating any party partisanship here -- I don't care what party or leader is in power in any country, just as long as they do what they should for their people ... :D

RONNI ~ ^PRAYERS^ for you all during these trips and medical tests and procedures too! :hug:

bargoo
03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
I have neighbors who just don't understand why I would pay an insurance premium for health coverage when I could get it for free. These people are on welfare and don't pay a cent and get coverage equal to or better than I can get. I don't qualify for welfare and am grateful to God that I was able to work during my lifetime and do not have to go on welfare. I would not be embarrased to do that if it was necessary so please believe me I am not critisizing those who find it necessary.

auntnelly
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
I am frustrated right now. Just got a call that we no longer qualify to receive food from the food bank. Since our DD lives with us, we have to include her $400 a month and that puts us over about $135 a month. This organization also helped pay for our electric bill last summer when it was over $400 a month. it was SO HOT we still kept it at 80 in here.

I am angry at my DD cause she had a job interview Tuesday and doesn't even want me to pray that she gets the job. I don't even feel she tried very hard to get it. She can't stand living at home, but isn't willing to go out of her comfort zone to work either. Please pray they still call her. It seems unlikely at this point because they were to have a 2nd interview for the "finalists" and the job is supposed to start April 1st.

bargoo
03-22-2012, 02:31 PM
auntnelly, praying that your daughter gets a job and that your situation will improve.

auntnelly
03-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Amazing update....DD got called back for a 2nd interview. She still doesn't have the job, but still has a shot at it. The coolest thing is they changed the job description (this is a new position) and DD is much more suited for the new description than the old one. I am still wondering about it all ... I will be really sad if she gets this job, but she needs to :( :carrot: :D :p ;)

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-22-2012, 08:29 PM
NELLY ~ PRAIZE GOD -- ^prayers^ continue for your daughter and your circumstances ... ;)

EZMONEY
03-22-2012, 08:57 PM
God's Plans....

not ours....

Keep us all trusting Lord!

bargoo
03-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Just got a call from my son at the hospital, baby will soon be here. Pray for a safe delivery and a healthy baby.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
BARGOO ~ ^PRAYERS^ on the way for a safe delivery for mom & a healthy baby too ...

wilma12
03-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Praying for all the concerns here.

EZMONEY
03-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Day started out awesome with me spending time with my newest GRANDdaughter...

ended up at hospital with my sister in law, my brother's wife, with a stroke...

A roller coaster day....

Peace

bargoo
03-24-2012, 01:09 PM
New granddaughter Faith arrived last nigh by C Section but everything seems to be fine.

bargoo
03-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Gary, praying that Sue will have a complete recovery.

ronni62
03-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Bargoo-Congratulations on the new granddaughter!

Gary-I'll be praying for your sister-in-law.

Jewcy
03-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Hey everyone. Let me tell you right off the bat I'm not Christian - far from it :p - but I could use some prayers and encouragement for sure. I'm NOT suicidal, but I do not want to be a part of this life and this world any more. My struggles with food have become too much for me to handle, and I cannot seem to accept any outside help. If there is a G-d, I don't know what I did for him/her to make me feel this way, to hate myself so much that I can't even function.

Thanks. You all seem like wonderful people :hug:

bargoo
03-24-2012, 04:47 PM
jewcy, I think you do believe there is a God or you wouldn't be questioning Him .
I am not someone professionaly qualified to give you help, but I do believe you need professional help , if you can't accept help what will you do ?I will be praying for you that you will be able to get relief from this burden you are caring.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-24-2012, 05:12 PM
HEY JEWCY ~ we meet again ... :lol:

I just want you to know that GOD LOVES YOU, JEWCY ~ just the way you are ... GOD loves your heart, and your mind, and your soul. GOD loves the way you laugh, and the way you talk. GOD loves who you are now and what you can become in the future -- a beautiful gem, sparkling bright like a star in the night ... :angel:

I have loved you with an everlasting love ... Jeremiah 31:3

... and JESUS came to take away all that shame; give it to Him. JESUS came to pay for your mistakes; give them to Him. Give this burden of self-recrimination away ~ give it to JESUS. He said ...

"Come unto me, all who are burdened and heavy laden, and I will give you rest for your souls ... for my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28

Right now, you are just confused and searching. You have stuff in your life that needs healing. So we will pray for you that you will find the love and healing that you need; and the power to make any changes that you need to feel better and be healthier too. :hug:

Plus, we'll try to answer your questions too. Some things in life are difficult to understand. The way you feel has a human cause; part of just being a human being. GOD wants you to feel well and be happy.

Jewcy
03-24-2012, 05:28 PM
want2be - Yes, I'm very needy today, haha. Thank you, ladies.

bargoo
03-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Jewcy, here is another scripture that you might find helpful.
Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".

Jewcy
03-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Thank you Bargoo. I do love that verse. I don't know if it's hypocritical of me or not, but I take great comfort from many scriptures, even though I don't consider myself religious in any traditional sense.

I really appreciate your thinking of me.:)

EZMONEY
03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
JEWCY, God is not making you feel that way. He created you and loves you more than you can imagine.

Oursleves, mankind and Satan are causing you to hate yourself...

In spite of that God is trying to draw you closer to Him, so He, and He alone, can lift that burden from you....

He is calling you with arms wide open...

It's up to you to walk to Him....

If you do, it will be one awesome hug.

Prayers

auntnelly
03-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Jewcy If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask the wonderful folks here who will answer anything you ask when you ask it.

Also, I know there is a big thing about providing links, so maybe I could just say try FICM .org If that is inappropriate to post. Someone can remove it :) I'm new here and maybe I don't know all the rules yet. :dizzy:

I agree with EZ...be encouraged today :)

It is hard to believe it will be Easter in 2 more weeks. We attend a church that is nearly 2 hours from here, so with gas prices as they are, it is tough to make it every week.
Hope you all were able to attend your places of worship today. :D

EZMONEY
03-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Hope you all were able to attend your places of worship today. :D

Angie and I did :)

And the flowers were from us in honor of the birth of GRANDdaughter2 2 weeks ago and GRANDdaughter1's first birthday today :)

The flowers were beautiful, I will post pictures later today or tomorrow after the party stuff and visits to my sis in law are taken care of.

be good

wilma12
03-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Gary: So sorry to hear about your SIL. I'll be praying!

Bargoo: Congratulations on the new grandaughter. So exciting!

Jewcy: I'm glad to see you here. I agree with all the previous posts. God loves you so much and doesn't want to see you hurt. If you look for Him you will find him and he will give you the peace you're looking for.

I had a great day yesterday even thought the eating wasn't all it should be. Back on track today! We had my family over for an early Easter celebration. There were 17 of us in our little house. Very cozy.

Of course, our little grandson was the star of the show. He's becoming a bit of a showoff and we all love it! He's certainly not playing strange yet.

My plan for this week is to eat more veggies and lean meats and stay away from the sweet things. I had candy for yesterday and brought it to work to share so that I don't snack on it at home.

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-26-2012, 02:31 PM
:wave: Well, we went shopping today; and picked up my new blinds for the windows before the heat comes. The store didn't have my favorite peanut butter easter egg, so I won't get one this year unless we can find one somewhere else next week.

Today, I bought some really tasty beef jerky for the first time; and it's very good. 20 grams (1/4 bag) are only 60 calories and 1.75 grams fat -- I think I found my snack. HEck, the whole bag is ony 240 calories, but it's so flavorful you only want a few pieces at a time.

I can hear some small birdies chirping away in my lilac bush near my office window -- sounds of spring for sure. A friend gave us a bright red, new birdhouse for a house warming gift, just before they moved away (back to Manitoba), so we will be putting that up there very shortly.

Eating has been going well for March; only had a couple of days of carb cravings and managed to keep the damage under control -- staying under my calories for the day or my cap on one occasion. That's not too bad really; I'm getting better at this -- Thank you GOD for sharing your strength each day!

The :sunny: is shining bright today, but the temps are just a tad colder than last week. We had a sprinkle of the white stuff overnight but that is pretty well gone now. Hope you all have a wonderful, spring-like week wherever you are ... :flow1:

Dernhelm
03-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say hello and wish you all many blessings in your health goals.

I'm 30 years old, from Colorado but have been living in Ireland for the past 5+ years and have struggled with weight issues since I was 11/12 years old. It's an ongoing battle and I'm worried about my heart and any other hidden health problems that could be lurking from all the years of bad eating and unhealthy habits.

I've been a Christian most of my life but really only started a close personal relationship with Christ about 8 years ago. I came to Ireland to work in youth ministry and have been blessed to be able to stay and continue it and desperately want to be a good steward of my body so I can do His work and will.

My family are all back in the States and are strong Christians, which is wonderful, and they are very supportive of me being here. My dad had a scare with kidney cancer back in 2006 and God healed him completely, but also in conjunction with a drastic change in diet and lifestyle (he went on the Hallelujah Diet and moved to a quieter area to reduce stress). I miss them terribly but am blessed to be surrounded by good Christian friends here and have a wonderful and supportive boyfriend who loves the Lord and is supporting me on this health journey.

I'm trying to lose about 40-50 lbs and to keep my heart/health in good check. I lived off of fast food for most of my young adult years, was a smoker and did recreational drugs as a teenager so I worry about the effects it had on my body. Plus, I'd love to get to a physical point where I can hike mountains with my boyfriend (he's a mountaineer and MAJOR outdoorsman) without feeling like I'm going to pass out or vomit.

I'm currently doing an adapted version of Eat to Live and doing regular exercise which is going fairly well at the moment.

Anyway, that's me. Thanks for listening; it's so wonderful to have a place to be open and share. I'd love to get to know more of you and be an encouragement in your journey as well. It's a real first to find a Christian forum on something like this, and makes a world of difference. In fact, it's a real answer to prayer!

Blessings,
Dernhelm :)

ronni62
03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
:welcome2: to Dernhelm and Jewcy! Glad to have more new people here!

Jewcy-I'm glad you joined us. I know struggles cause us to doubt, but God told us that He wouldn't allow us to have more struggles than we can deal with. Of course, He meant we as in Him and us together :) He told us that we are 'fearfully and wonderfully made" and that we are not of this world: "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I (Jesus) have overcome the world." (John 16:33), "If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you." (John 15:19) If you're feeling like you hate this world, God's Holy Spirit may be speaking to you. Is there a Christian pastor or Bible study group near you that you could visit and talk to? God's not asking us to leave this world, but not to be conformed to it. Walk with God, read His word, and I bet He'll show you some answers to the feelings you're having.:hug:

:mad: :( :p :mad: :?: :dizzy: :?: :cry: :rolleyes: :mad: :cry: :ink: :ink: :bomb: :ink: :jeno: :m: :cookie: :burger: :tired: So, that has been my last few days! In a nutshell: having trouble finding Mom 100% cotton hospital gowns, so may have to make them; my sister is now in the process of trying to back out of her commitment to stay with Mom for the 2 weeks after she comes home from the hospital, so I'll need to figure out how to stay with Mom and still get DS3 to soccer, games, do his homeschooling, etc, when we live 25 minutes away; my grandma's last brother passed away Monday, so that was sad; there was an appalling and disgusting (& totally unChristian) incident at DS2's dorm that has him (& us) very upset and thinking about changing colleges, as the RA seems to have no intention of disciplining the offenders, even though the act was totally against written school policy; and on and on and on......

Right now, I just feel so tired and aggravated. Need a vacation!!!!
And, wish my first response to stress wasn't to head to the kitchen:p

Don't let anyone tell you that Satan isn't on a continual mission to mess us up. That's his whole life. He just keeps messing and messing and messing-we just have to stand strong and rely on God to carry us when the burden gets too heavy-do I hear an 'Amen!'?

Well, gotta get the DS back on his lessons-spring fever has hit waaaayyy toooo early this year, due to the lack of snow! Can't imagine what's going on inside the schools-LOL!

Take care, friends!

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-28-2012, 02:29 PM
... we just have to stand strong and rely on God to carry us when the burden gets too heavy-do I hear an 'Amen!'?

RONNIE ~ I say AMEN & AMEN to that, for sure ... let GOD carry us through (Isaiah 46:4). Listen, you made some mistakes, but just keep going; and when the stress eases off a bit, you will do better. We all have stresses that come up each day; trust me. Many people just don't talk about them much -- which I think is too bad, becuz that gives a false impression of perfection (that everybody else's lives are better than ours, when they are not).

We ALL have problems & issues that we must rely on GOD to help us with. GOD will help us find amiable solutions and show us how to overcome these worldly troubles, just like He promised. That's why sharing with other Christians and asking for prayers is so important. Will send up ^prayers^ for you & your DS2, and that situation too.

DERNHELM ~ glad to see that you have found us over here; nice to have you join us. Sounds like quite an adventure you are having over there in Ireland; and it is so nice to have a supportive partner (mine is too). We have Irish ancestry on both sides of our family.

DH and I spent yesterday AM putting up the big aluminum blind in our master bedroom; that was a task & a half, but we got it done and well too! Thank you LORD for strength, but I hurt my lower back a bit while doing it; could use prayers that it heals up quickly. That's the area the spina bifida causes a problem with a weak, open spine ... so I am resting up today.

:snowglo: Well, we had a major drop of ***** last night; DH was out clearing the lane this AM. Not enuff for his snowblower, but enuff that he had to shovel a a good while. The temps have fallen to around 32 F and seems like they will be staying there well into April -- April fool's anyone? I think we got fooled that spring was here to stay ... :lol:

Still, I'm sure it will melt pretty fast with a few days of :sunny: and warmer temps in April. Glad we got some shopping done on Monday. We won't have to go again til the first week of April at least. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday ... :coolsnow:

EZMONEY
03-28-2012, 09:17 PM
HI

I am here and have read...

busy....

I will post all updates soon...

EZMONEY
03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi GALS ~ :)

Taking a few minutes to catch up a bit.

Sue has been moved to a nursing home near us. She will need much therapy before she can come home as she needs constant care. She is doing better though and, well, only time will tell how much better she will get. She has a lot of family here to see her through it. In fact most of my side of the family has stopped seeing her as it is just too much on her right now with all the church members stopping by too.

I have been off this week which is good as we are tearing walls down in the kitchen in preparation for the new cabinets and flooring. We are opening up the kitchen to the dining and living rooms, something Angie has wanted to do ever since she married me and moved in here. I will post pictures of course when the work is finished.

I am still trying how to get pictures out of my phone into the computer so I can psot them here of the new GRANDdaughter2...she is so beautiful :) As soon as Angie and I catch our breath we will solve the problem, we have new phones and everything is different for us.

The birthday party for GRANDdaughter1 was so much fun. My chili was a big hit, my son and daughter in law said the teachers that were at the party were still talking about it yesterday! The kids said I am a chili hero at his high school...said they may ask me to cook a bunch of it for a fundraiser for his track team...:)...I think he was kidding of course...I hope so! :D

Gotta go...be back soon

Justwant2Bhealthy
03-30-2012, 09:13 PM
:wave: Well, we had another :sunny: day today -- so some more of that white stuff was melting today. The roads are all clear again, so DH went out for a bike run & visited some friends. While he was out, some friends popped by for a visit, and left just before he got back ... :lol:

I haven't been doing much the last two days; just the essentials -- taking it easy to let my body heal a bit, but my back feels fine. I think the funny weather changes aggravates my old injuries some; the best remedy for that is rest. DH has fallen asleep already, so I am going to turn in early too and do some reading for a while.

Eating went really good this week; ate a bit lighter today. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend; do take care now ... :flow1:

^Prayers^ continue for SUE & family; and all other concerns too! :hug:

Bootsie
04-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Just thought i would let y'all know still around here just been busy and under the weather but not under the weather anymore. Givng Mother in law party tomorrow but suppose to have help. She is 85 years old .

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-01-2012, 12:15 PM
:wave: HEY BOOTSIE ~ thanks for popping by; hope the party goes well ... remember to enjoy yourself too!

Had G-R-E-A-T news this AM -- I finally braved the scale and hit a 20-year low for me. I will be weighing myself for the next two days to make sure it sticks though before I change my stats in my signature, but I am so happy to have lost about 2 lbs per month over the winter.

All that cycling calories, dancing, hand-weights, toning exercises (which I increased), and upping calories on those hungry days have paid off ... thank you, GOD!!! :dancer::dance: :dancer:

EZMONEY
04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Happy Palm Sunday Everyone!

Enjoy your Holy Week...

a roller coaster of emotions.

Dernhelm
04-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome :) Just to wish everyone a restful, peaceful Holy Week and that you're able to celebrate and enjoy the coming Easter.

Easter has always been one of my favourite times (apart from Christmas) because of what it celebrates. Plus, Spring is in the air and there are cherry blossoms everywhere; so beautiful.

Unfortunately, I'm also surrounded by tons of chocolate and other naughty foods I really shouldn't have. I hate it when people don't like taking 'no' for an answer when you're offered things..

Trying to remember what's really important this week and not on something as unimportant as chocolate....

This morning I was feeling a bit down about back-sliding on my eating this weekend and I was gently reminded by God about who I am and that: "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away, behold; the new has come." (2 Cor. 5:17)

This comforted me and reminded me that I am a new creation in Christ and that even if I'm not perfect, I am still one of His.

Hopefully this blesses you in some way too.

:sunny:

Bootsie
04-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Thanks Rosebud the party went great! She was surprised . I have fun bringing joy into others lives so you may say I had a ball!

wilma12
04-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm back to work after a lovely weekend. I saw my grandson twice and he is so much fun. He giggles at pretty much everything right now.

We had a beautiful Palm Sunday service. I find Good Friday a really hard day for me as I don't feel worthy of what Jesus did for me. Praise God for Easter morning. I don't have to be worthy I have grace!

We're still waiting for news that grandbaby #2 has arrived. I'm very impatient and can hardly wait to meet the little one.

Rosebud: Way to go on the weight loss. You've worked hard and have changed your lifestyle. Excellent!

Dernhelm: I totally get your chocolate problem. I had some in the house this past weekend and did have some too. Now we put it behind us and carry on with what we should be doing right?

Garry: Glad to hear that Sue is doing better. It's nice to know she has so many people who love her and will be there for her.

Justwant2Bhealthy
04-02-2012, 02:39 PM
THANKS, WILMA ~ it's been a long haul for sure, but it is so rewarding to see some WL again too; so on we go ... I had lots of other NSV's over the winter too, like thinner fingers, face, arms, and clothes are much looser too.

If it wasn't for my tummy, I'd be a size 18 for my whole body; it's my tummy that requires the larger size, but I am workin' on that too. I have upped my tummy toning exercises and lost 2 inches over that time as well. Hey, it's a victory. I double-checked my WL this am and it's down another 1.5 lbs. I will check one more day (tomorrow) and then change my signature ... :D

I find Good Friday a really hard day for me as I don't feel worthy of what Jesus did for me. Praise God for Easter morning. I don't have to be worthy I have grace!

YES, I agree with you about this; I think that was what GARY was talking about too (mixed emotions on Psalm Sunday). As I was praying about this before bed last night, the LORD reminded of something GOD said to the Israelites when they cried after hearing about their sins. He told them not to cry, but that this was a time of REJOICING and celebration.

It is OK to reflect & be thankful, but JESUS suffers no more -- He is in heaven, on the right hand side of GOD. His work on the cross was finished over 2000 years ago; so now, we can all rejoice and be glad in it! :)

:wave: HI to BOOTSIE, DURNHELM, GARY, BARGOO, NELLY, KAREN, and all our other friends here ... have a great week, eh? :lol:

BTW, I just realized that we are actually in April now (the 2nd already) -- guess it's time to open a new monthly thread .... see you all there ... ;)