General chatter - What are you reading? (March 2012)

konfyoozed
03-01-2012, 01:59 PM
I love these threads! :) i make lists from them on what to read when i'm done with my current selections.

last month i started the 'outlander' series by diana gabaldon, and i'm currently halfway through book 2 (dragonfly in amber) and trying not fly through it because i've been known to read a whole book in a day. i've limited myself to 30 mins to an hour of reading at night before bed to relax. and i still want to read faster because i'm eager to find out what happens!

so. what are YOU reading this month?

lovemydoggiesx2
03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
This week I read 2 so far. I read Danielle Steelīs Big Girl and I highly reccomend it to all of us big girls, and I read Beachcombers, but I canīt remember who it was by.

Wow, girl you are good to limit yourself. I donīt. Last week I read 3, and 2 this week so far. I lie in bed for hours at night reading...oh bliss

rainydays
03-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Just finished The Secret Life of Bees, and just starting Wicked. I LOVE reading for pleasure! With 3 small kids, school, and work, I don't get to nearly enough--otherwise I'm also one who could read for days on end without stopping :D

konfyoozed
03-01-2012, 02:20 PM
if i didn't limit my time with the books, i feel that my husband would burn them all cause he wants me to pay attention to him too :P

so during the day, instead of reading all the time, i am particularly fond of jigsaw puzzles :D

tessendicott
03-01-2012, 02:35 PM
The Night Strangers, The Night Circus, The Woman in Black, The Time Travelers Wife and The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe.

Glory87
03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Just finished Bond Girl (http://www.amazon.com/Bond-Girl-Novel-Erin-Duffy/dp/0062065890/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330630745&sr=8-1). it was pretty good, although it's always amazing when smart women can be so dumb with their love life.

SnowAngel72
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I am reading Clockwork Prince at the moment. I have a few others I am reading but I am bored with the books since I have read them before. I limit myself because I read to fast and especially if I find out there is going to be another in the series. Don't know what else I will read this month yet.

Smiling_Sara
03-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I made one this morning :)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/253974-what-you-reading-march-2012-a.html

maybe the two can be combined?

konfyoozed
03-01-2012, 08:16 PM
i didn't even see it.. i'm sorry! i just saw the feb one :(

Riddy
03-01-2012, 10:21 PM
I'm going back to an old favorite - James Herriot's All Creatures Great and Small. I bought the whole series on my Kindle a couple months ago and finally started it today.

shishkeberry
03-01-2012, 10:43 PM
For fun, I've been rereading the Anne of Green Gables series. I'm halfway through Rainbow Valley. For my DS, I've been reading The Phantom Tollbooth.

Sinoia
03-02-2012, 02:10 AM
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Sweet Tea Sweetie
03-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Turning White:A Memior of Change

SmallSteps
03-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Chicken Soup for the Soul

CanadianCutie
03-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Finished The Fault in Our Stars this afternoon, and I'm going to start The Hunger Games tonight. I guess I'm on YA fiction kick.

pluckypear
03-04-2012, 12:27 AM
My first book for this month is IQ 84. Loved The night circus.

JessD
03-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm currently reading two books - "She Wolves - The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth" by Helen Castor, and "The Silmarillion" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

pluckypear
03-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I'm currently reading two books - "She Wolves - The Women Who Ruled England Before Elizabeth" by Helen Castor, and "The Silmarillion" by J.R.R. Tolkien.

I read the Silmarillion and loved it. :)

Because of a suggestion in this thread I got Big Girl by Danielle Steele, have not read her since high school. :)

BananaMontana
03-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm rereading the Harry Potter series again :lol: I have read them probably almost 50 times(or more!) now. I generally reread the whole series every month or two. It's my favorite :)

I don't have anything new to read at the moment. I'm feeling a bit picky about my book choices. I'm going to use Harry to get out of the funk and then I've got a few books on my Goodreads to-read list that come out this month...Goddess Interupted by Aimee Carter and Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins.I'm not so excited about that first one, but I figure it's on my list so I might as well read it.

I feel like I'm reading too much YA, so I am going to try to ease back into grown up books with some nice Scottish historical romance. I've heard the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon is good, so I'll probably read those. Not really sure after that. Maybe give Girl With the Dragon Tattoo another shot, but I'm not sure I'll get much farther into it than I did the first time. I've still got a couple Mitch Albom books I haven't read so I might get into those this month. I'm not sure I'll be able to read much more than that since my sociology class is pretty demanding right now...she has a paper due every week for the next three weeks and that will cut into my reading time.

For fun, I've been rereading the Anne of Green Gables series. I'm halfway through Rainbow Valley. For my DS, I've been reading The Phantom Tollbooth.

My oldest sister LOVES The Phantom Tollbooth! I remember when I was younger curling up with her and my other sister in her bed while she read it to us. Such a great book. She keeps trying to read it to her kids but neither one of them has the attention span at the moment.

JessD
03-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I tried reading The Silmarillion several years ago, and after re-reading The Hobbit, TFOTR, T2T and TROTK over this past year, I'm ready to give it another go.

I loved all the Harry Potter books as much as the movies. There's a lot of YA literature out there that is crackin' good. I'm a dedicated disciple of Alice Hoffman and will be making my way through The Dove Keepers next when I'm finished with Tolkien and the righteous queens of old England.

peachypeg
03-04-2012, 10:30 PM
just finished one called Finding Grace by Sarah Pawley and am now working on Whispers from the Ashes by Patrica Hester

I have found the joy in reading my Kindle while walking on the treadmill. Multi-tasking at its best LOL

shishkeberry
03-05-2012, 09:21 PM
My oldest sister LOVES The Phantom Tollbooth! I remember when I was younger curling up with her and my other sister in her bed while she read it to us. Such a great book. She keeps trying to read it to her kids but neither one of them has the attention span at the moment.
The Phantom Tollbooth was my favorite book when I was a kid! Imagine my surprise when I found a copy at a thrift store for a dollar last winter! I bought it for my DS for Christmas and we just started reading one chapter a night before bed. We just got to the part where Milo met Alec Bings.

I read The Silmarillion once a few years ago. It's a hard book to get through. There are so many names to remember.

mimsyborogoves
03-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Ellen Hopkins' Impulse. I just love the way she writes; she has the ability to take me out of my world and put me right into the protagonist's shoes. I love a book like that!

Anssett
03-06-2012, 04:21 PM
:-) The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes. I prefer biographical non-fiction so I'm learning as well as relaxing.

alinnell
03-09-2012, 02:04 PM
The Princess Bride--it reads just like the movie!

threenorns
03-09-2012, 02:20 PM
today, i'm reading "Mort", by Terry Pratchett for about the fifth time.

yesterday, i read "Unseen Academicals" by Terry Pratchett (again, about the 4th or 5th time).

over the past month, i read The Complete Sherlock Holmes
The Complete Father Brown Mysteries
Melvin the Dry-Cleaning Zombie and Vampire Shoe Warehouse
and Terry Jones' Medieval Lives

i read a lot. thank goodness for my android kindle app!

FrouFrou
03-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Going through my phase early...at least I hope it's a phase. I start out reading a lot and then nothing so...started A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan in Feb and that is what I am still working on.

peachypeg
03-09-2012, 08:21 PM
I love these threads! :) i make lists from them on what to read when i'm done with my current selections.

last month i started the 'outlander' series by diana gabaldon, and i'm currently halfway through book 2 (dragonfly in amber) and trying not fly through it because i've been known to read a whole book in a day. i've limited myself to 30 mins to an hour of reading at night before bed to relax. and i still want to read faster because i'm eager to find out what happens!

so. what are YOU reading this month?

These are some of my FAVORITE books.....I love Jamie and Claire!!!! They are now developing the screenplay to make a movie. DG is on facebook and keeps the fans up to date on stuff.

puneri
03-09-2012, 08:42 PM
I just read the healthiest diet in the world. The book suggests to eat beans and lentils instead of meat. Trying to replace some meat to see the results.
Also reading Top down knitting, very interesting book for knitters.
Not read any story book for years. Long back, i used to read nonstop and not do any work at home. My husband started throwing the books out of the house. Being Indian, not cooking and cleaning is not acceptable.
Now, he is very cooperative. Now, I play word abacus on my ipad2 and poor fellow doesnt say a word. But, now i do my work also.

KeriHallman
03-11-2012, 01:33 AM
I just finished Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich. The Stephanie Plum series is amazing!!! Waiting on pins and needles for #19 to come out in June. I think my next read will be Hunger Games.

Laura78
03-11-2012, 07:34 AM
I have recently gotten obsessed with Amish Fiction :) It's so intriguing! Right now I'm reading "The Shunning" by Beverly Lewis.

I LOVED the Outlander series, especially the first 3. I got tired of the huge books after that. I'm thinking of doing the Hunger games because I've heard so much about them, but I don't know.

I :val1: my Kindle! I only wish I had more time to read....with a full time job, kids, working out, lessons, church, etc there is only so much time! :dizzy:

BananaMontana
03-11-2012, 10:08 AM
I just finished Explosive Eighteen by Janet Evanovich. The Stephanie Plum series is amazing!!! Waiting on pins and needles for #19 to come out in June. I think my next read will be Hunger Games.

LOVE Stephanie Plum! I have an I <3 Morelli hat! :lol: My mom and one of my sisters do too, but my other sister wears Rangeman . She's a lame-o ;)

Did you see the movie? I wanted to, but I couldn't go with my mom and sisters, being so far away and I ended up not seeing it at all.

98DaysOfSummer
03-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I think I will start the Stephanie Plum series.

I am currently reading The Scottish Prisoner (Speaking of Outlander...). It's ok. Her books have gone from serious page turning adventures to kind of plodding but I'm hooked so I'll take it.

Just returned The Dovekeepers (Alice Hoffman) to the library. Just could not get into it. Hate that, it got excellent reviews and the wait list was forEVER.

peachypeg
03-11-2012, 11:48 AM
@Laura.....do you walk on a treadmill at home or at the gym? I have one at home and I just put my kindle on the front panel and read while I walk. I set the font kinda large so it is easier to read. It really makes the time fly when I am walking and it seems like I have no effort what so ever to get it done.

98DaysOfSummer
03-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I think I will start the Stephanie Plum series.

I am currently reading The Scottish Prisoner (Speaking of Outlander...). It's ok. Her books have gone from serious page turning adventures to kind of plodding but I'm hooked so I'll take it.

Just returned The Dovekeepers (Alice Hoffman) to the library. Just could not get into it. Hate that, it got excellent reviews and the wait list was forEVER.

KeriHallman
03-11-2012, 12:12 PM
I love Morelli!!!!! I think she needs to live happily ever after with him. I like Ranger too but she has to be with Joe!!!!! I am soooo ready for #19!!!!

edited to say I have not seen the movie yet. I don't think it will stand up to what is in my head lol.

BananaMontana
03-11-2012, 01:00 PM
I love Morelli!!!!! I think she needs to live happily ever after with him. I like Ranger too but she has to be with Joe!!!!! I am soooo ready for #19!!!!

edited to say I have not seen the movie yet. I don't think it will stand up to what is in my head lol.

I agree about the movie. I don't like the actors they chose either...don't look right to me.

I love Ranger. He is sexy and his body wash smells good. But Morelli is the real deal. He is husband material and Stephanie needs to embrace that :lol:

pluckypear
03-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Still reading IQ 84 and enjoying it. I like the writing style.

Read Jennifer Hudson's "I got this" in one sitting, have to say not impressed. It is simple and without substance. Too bad, I like her.

rachaelm
03-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I just read the first two books in the Shades of Grey trilogy by EL James, and I've started the third.

Anyone else read these? I have to admit, it's hot.

mystyblue85
03-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I love these threads!!
Finished the hunger games trilogy and the long walk by stephen king and now reading 11/22/63 by S King.
its a great read, but im not giving it fair justice because I am rushing through it to get to the dark tower series. my hubby bought me the whole series (7 books) for valentines day and i cant wait to start reading them! Im kind of OCD about my reading list, so I had to finish all 3 hunger games trilogy books, the long walk AND 11 22 63. im almost done with the last one and I have my first dark tower series book next to my bed.
i loved the secret life of bees and the hunger games. the girl with the dragon tattoo was AWESOME after the first 80 or so pages...it really went flying from that point on...and the next 2 books never slowed the pace.

Laura78
03-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Wow - I'm shocked. I couldn't put this book down!

sensualappeal
03-14-2012, 02:05 AM
I just started reading A Haunted Love Story which is a true story about the Allen House in Arkansas, the most haunted house in America. So far it's awesome, it's creepy but written from a different point of view than any regular ghost story. It's more journalistic and not focused on the scary parts but rather on the objective facts.

pixelllate
03-14-2012, 02:17 AM
I read hunger games and I'm looking for a book like it but for teens and older? I checked out books like it but they are usually for tweens

konfyoozed
03-14-2012, 02:46 AM
I love these threads!!
Finished the hunger games trilogy and the long walk by stephen king and now reading 11/22/63 by S King.
its a great read, but im not giving it fair justice because I am rushing through it to get to the dark tower series. my hubby bought me the whole series (7 books) for valentines day and i cant wait to start reading them! Im kind of OCD about my reading list, so I had to finish all 3 hunger games trilogy books, the long walk AND 11 22 63. im almost done with the last one and I have my first dark tower series book next to my bed.
i loved the secret life of bees and the hunger games. the girl with the dragon tattoo was AWESOME after the first 80 or so pages...it really went flying from that point on...and the next 2 books never slowed the pace.

i loved the dark tower series! i've read it all the way through more than once, and even made my husband read it. :)

KeriHallman
03-14-2012, 08:22 AM
I am now reading Hunger games. I have no idea what is next on my list. I just got the nook tablet so I am seeing what my friends have and I can read for free first before buying and nook books lol. I am kinda cheap lol. Just as long as I can read before bed I am a happy girl!

alinnell
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
Finished the Princess Bride and started Catch Me (http://www.amazon.com/Catch-Me-ebook/dp/B005GSZHZO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332168272&sr=8-1) by Lisa Gardner. I've only read the prologue and it's already kind of disturbing.

So, who here has read or plans to read Fifty Shades of Grey? (http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-Grey-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B007J4T2G8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1332168341&sr=1-1)

NurseMichelle
03-19-2012, 11:20 AM
So this site has got me HOOKED on Ellen Hopkins! I love the way she writes! Not to mention that addiction/drug/recovery topics are something I get into (three years clean and sober here) So I've read Tricks, then Crank which turned out to be a series so now I'm on the second one, Glass. So surely I will read the third one next.

But I also can't wait to read Night Circus so I'm pretty sure that will be next.

Hit Reply by Rocki St. Claire was CUTE, fast read, all written in texts and emails, I enjoyed it.

I've got your number, new one by Sophie Kinsella was REALLY good, I never want her books to end.

Miss Invisible was cute (Laura Jensen Walker) I do enjoy books about plus sized girls.....

Oh then I read Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult who I just adore, but I can't read her too many in a row because her stuff is kind of repetitive but always interesting, so I like to read her BETWEEN other books.

Sleeping with Famous Men by Elizabeth Kaye was garbage, pure garbage. I quit it halfway through.

I have 50 shades of grey on my wishlist.

KEEP EM COMIN!

.....and feel free to add me on your Nook friends list.....

Michelle Young email: pokernurse@neo.rr.com

CanadianCutie
03-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I finished reading The Hunger Games (just the first book not the entire trilogy), and now I'm reading Death's Daughter by Amber Benson (Tara from BtVS).

Glory87
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
So, who here has read or plans to read Fifty Shades of Grey? (http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-Grey-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B007J4T2G8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1332168341&sr=1-1)

Me ;)

I just finished reading The Language of Flowers (http://www.amazon.com/The-Language-Flowers-A-Novel/dp/034552554X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332185780&sr=8-1) and I hated it. I didn't understand the action/motivations of anybody in the book. And the ratings are so high on amazon!!!

Here's my Good Reads list. Friend me, if you haven't!
http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1035707?shelf=read

tessendicott
03-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Finished The Night Strangers, it was alright, not excellent.

I'm now reading Rose Madder by Stephen King. I vaguely remember reading it as a teenager, but picked it up a few nights ago. :D

konfyoozed
03-19-2012, 05:22 PM
i had not heard of goodreads.com... i will have to check it out! :)

Glory87
03-19-2012, 06:45 PM
I need it to keep track of all the books I want to read!

pluckypear
03-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Still reading IQ 84 and started 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and I am now dreaming of living on a small farm and having my own chickens. :)

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/

channning102
03-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Just read, Diary of a Mad Fat Girl(A+) Engine 2 Diet (C) Baby, I'm Yours, (A) Eat to live by Joel Fuhrman (A). I am just starting Dying to be me and The Tudors.

alinnell
03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Ok, so I downloaded 50 shades of grey. I'll get to it eventually. I started Catch Me last night and it's really good! I also have a new Jonathan Kellerman, a new Harlan Coban and the Kristen Johnson autobiography, Guts, on my newly downloaded list. That should keep me busy for a long time!

Glory87
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
I have Guts on hold at the library!

alinnell
03-20-2012, 11:55 AM
I have Guts on hold at the library!

It sure got good reviews on Amazon.

I'm so happy! I have a Verizon smartphone with hotspot capability. Until today, I was unable to connect my Kindle Fire to the hotspot (at home, it connects to my home wifi but at work I have no wifi as we're wired in). I want to be able to take my Fire with me on vacation and use it as a tablet--but unless I could connect it to the phone, it wouldn't work. I had researched at by all appearances the Fire wasn't supposed to recognize the hotspot, but I thought I'd give it one more try and VOILA! it worked! So happy to be able to go on vacation and not have to bring a laptop!

KeriHallman
03-20-2012, 12:19 PM
I just finished Mocking Jay #3 of The Hunger Games and I LOVED it!! I have no idea what I am going to read next. I need to pick something because that is the only way I make it through my elliptical time!

MissKoo
03-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I just started "Pity the Billionaire" and it's great. I'm turning into quite the politics junkie these days. I'm sure I'll get back to fiction at some point but, for now, truth is much stranger!

As for the Stephanie Plum series, I started by reading One for the Money years ago. I adored the first book - probably read it ten times. There were some good books along the way but after To The Nines I couldn't go on. I think the author is just phoning it in. I kept getting deja vu because of all the redundant plot lines! That being said . . . I'm a Joe fan (cupcake!)

konfyoozed
03-21-2012, 12:30 AM
just finished "dragonfly in amber" (outlander #2) and am starting "voyager" (outlander #3) tomorrow! i'm super excited!

and for my spiritual education i'm reading a book called 'the christian atheist' that my husband recommended for me.

ANOther
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
No 50 Shades of Grey for me, sounds too kinky for my blood. Right now on Not Your Ordinary Faerie Tale by Christine Warren

LadyWraith
03-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I just started on the 5th book (For a Few Demons More) of Kim Harrison's The Hollows series. After reading the latest release (Perfect Blood) back in February, I had to re-read the whole series again for like the 4th time lol. I just realized I've blown through 4 books in the last month and a half. :lol: I'm a total addict.

The Outlander series sounds great. I'll have to check that out. And I totally forgot about the Stephanie Plum series. I loved the first 2!

alinnell
03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
I read my Lisa Gardner book in less than a week (loved it!), read Guts in about 3 hours (over a period of a couple days, but it's a rather short read). It was good, interesting, funny, sad. So I had 4 new books to decide on...and decided on 50 Shades of Grey. Hmmm. 3 chapters in and I'm wondering if I'll like it, but I did hear they're already planning to make it into a movie, so I'll finish it just so I can see if the movie even makes sense to see.