Exercise! - March Running - Bring on the Madness!

ncuneo
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Here it is our March Running Thread!

Bring it! New, old, fast, slow, short distance, long - we don't care, if you run you're a runner and we want to hear about it!

Share your running goals, triumphs and hurdles here all month long.

I'm in the week 1 of my 3 week taper before the big race on March 18th! Did a brutal 5 mile stroller run with my 3 year old yesterday. Been a while since I've done a stoller run, boy is he getting heavy, I almost died!

Hope to see everyone logging some productive miles - happy running!

devadiva
03-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Thank you!

chickadee32
03-02-2012, 01:40 AM
I was here just a bit back in the fall when I first began running, but I've had a bunch of stops and starts with my running since then due to medical stuff. I shouldn't have to stop again until sometime in April though, so I'm really hoping to make some progress this month!

Longest run thus far has been 5 miles at a very slow pace (4.5 mph), but lately I've been trying to up the speed while running shorter distances. The other night I tried 30 minutes at 5.2 mph and had to slow down at 25 minutes, but tonight I did 3 miles at 5.0 mph (36 min) very comfortably. Since starting running again the past two weeks I've been doing walk/sprint intervals for 10 min or so after my steady-pace runs, and I'm wondering if that's helping? I really have no idea how to improve my speed and endurance, so any suggestions are totally appreciated!! I am limited to running 2-3x/week, as otherwise the pain in my left hip gets pretty bad.

Sylvied
03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
I've been running off and on for a couple of years now. I did a 10k and 5k last spring but then went through a really stressful period at work and we moved and running stopped. I want to get back at it again so I signed up for the same 10k I did last spring and I'm coming here for all the motivational help I can get.

Spikester
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Can I join in?
I did the c25k last fall (2010). I didn't really finish it, because when I got to week 4 or 5 I realized that I could jog the whole 3 miles, and needed to push myself to do it.
Unfortunately I haven't been as motivated as I should be, and have only been going pretty sporadically.

However, I now have renewed focus. I have made a pact with myself to go 3-4 times/ week and up my mileage speed as I can.
I run on a treadmill and average 4.6mph, so I am still pretty slow. I decided that the tradeoff for going for 3 miles is going to be slower speed, and a slow progression faster.

autodidact
03-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Can I join too, please?

I did a thread of my own..DD and I have entered a 5k race on May20th! She is coming to stay for 3 days and we start training together tomorrow!

Our training schedule has been worked out by my other DD who is a marathon runner who is doing her first Triathlon today. She is being so supportive which helps no end.

ncuneo
03-04-2012, 07:39 AM
^^Auto that is so cool! Good for you and your DD! Careful you don't catch that marathon bug, they're contagious!

It's awesome to see some new and returning faces!

Had a good week, was the last week of "normal miles" before things start to slow down and taper off before the race. I have a 12 miler today and then the next two weeks are pretty mellow. I'm realizing that "The Taper" is not just about a reduction in miles, but needing to taking it easy in my cross training as well. Did an intense strength training session Thursday and I'm sooooore. So I need to be careful of that and probably skip ST all together the week of the race.

I've been also reading every book I can get my hands on about running strategies - run less? run more? run fast? run slow? It gets a bit overwhelming but there are some very specific ways to train to acheive your goals and in addition to that finding the one that fits your lifestyle of is key importance. Right now I'm reading about the FIRST program and it's really appealing to me, it's pretty much what I do right now anyway (3 days of running +2-3 cross) but it incorporates some much more specific speed work and encourages running faster than I'm currently acustom, so this may be a natural progression for me. I can't help myself, I am a very goal oriented person who can't seem to funtion without some kind of major goal...so I'm of course wondering what is next for me after the marathon...and my only conclusion thus far is...get faster! I have a loooong wat to go in the speed department so that goal can take me pretty far.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

devadiva
03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Was not able to run since Mon .....but got out for 5 miles today it felt great my knee it STILL tweaky no matter what shoes or how I track going to try some knee strenthing workou and see how that goes. Its warmingup here ran at 10 am and it was in the 60's need to start earlier!
Good to see the new names!

CherryPie99
03-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Hi everyone!

Yesterday was DH and my wedding anniversary yesterday so I allowed myself to overindulge and saw the scale jump up a little today from yesterday.

So, feeling guilty, I actually ran 9 miles on the treadmill today. That's 1 mile longer then the longest I've ever run. Made it in 94:51. Last year, I clearly remember when running at 4.8 MPH honestly felt like sprinting. I also - on the insistence of my good friend the marathon runner - tried an energy gel for the first time. I took it after 6 miles - about 64 minutes of running. I can't say that I felt any difference. So of course, I was pissed for having sucked down 110 calories.

autodidact
03-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Artist DD and I went out for our very first run today! DD managed to run further than I did. We both ran, then I walked a bit and ran a bit, and DD ran on ahead and came back to me.

I walked and ran, and ran about half the distance. The total distance was 2k and I ran about 1k and walked the rest. DD went maybe 3k as she ran ahead and circled back.

Marathon DD has just dropped in to see us with photos of her triathlon! Well we can dream!

It doesn't sound much does it but I am very very proud of myself and artist DD! (we are both very proud of marathon DD too but that goes without saying!)

jlee1284
03-05-2012, 03:52 AM
My March running goals is to be able complete 1 mile in less than 14 min.

Also in terms of distance, I want to run 30 miles total in the month of March.

seagirl
03-05-2012, 07:01 AM
Yay March!

So I'm on week 6 of C25K, and the actual 5K is on the 17th, so my friends and I went out yesterday to complete the course. We did the program at first "warm up, run 9, walk 3, run 9" and then walked and ran and did some sprinting until we reached the end of the course. It was really run and I feel really good about the race. We were able to keep a good pace, except for one friend who we kept have to slow down, since she tends to take off and then end up hobbling later.

This coming weekend we are going to do some speed drills and hill work. I'm excited!

I found another 5K to sign up for in April, and want to do a 10K in May, June I have the swim & bike portions of a triathlon to do, then I'll be training for a whole sprint triathlon in September.

If you are looking for 5Ks or other races in your area, go to Active.com, they are all usually listed there.

Sylvied
03-05-2012, 09:24 AM
I went out running on Saturday for the first time in a few months. The run involved a lot more walking than I wanted it to but I was kind of proud of even being out there since it was really cold and windy (like take your breath away windy) and I'd just come back from running a sleepover for nine 7-8 year old girls.

I went 4 km altogether. I think I ran just under half of it in sprints. My goal for tonight's run is to make it to the halfway point of my route without stopping to walk. I think I can do it if I actually push myself a bit.

devadiva
03-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Ran 5 miles again today and it was pain free in the knees till almost 4milesYEAH Icut over 5 min off my time! did it in 55:13. Which is the fastest I have ran in awhile. It felt great. It was warm today! it is warming up here. Just got back from our afternoon dog walk {3 miles and its 77}. Here it comes!!!

autodidact
03-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Gosh,you all seem such great runners here.

Artist DD and I did our second run today. We are doing run/walk, 1 min of each and 14 reps. If we are not home again by that point we walk home.

I am not sure i enjoy it, but i love the feeling of virtue afterwards!

Have fun running today
Auto.

Cheshirecat
03-05-2012, 07:31 PM

chickadee32
03-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Did a good 3.5 mile run tonight, and still had enough energy leftover after to do my walk/sprint intervals. My next run will be on Friday night, and I think I'll do one last one at 5.0 mph before inching the speed up to 5.1 mph next week. Baby steps...

cheshire: Nice to see you again!

auto: I didn't like it at first either, but now I wish I could do all of my cardio as running! As it gets more comfortable it becomes more enjoyable, at least it did for me.

Sylvied
03-06-2012, 08:45 AM
I did my new 4k route again last night and it was so much better than on Saturday. I think I'm starting to find my rhythm again. It was cold and windy though and that made it less fun. Apparently it's supposed to warm up over the next day or so. Hopefully that means tomorrow's run will be more comfortable.

milmin2043
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
I have run 5 half marathons so far this year.
I've been very busy with life and exercise and well, just life. :)
I don't get to visit 3FC as often as I'd like. I am running my third full marathon on April 15th. I have been running differently this year. More zen running and less worrying about time and every little thing that made me a tad annoyed with it all last year.
I stopped wearing my Garmin *gasp*, yes, even on long runs. It won't be forever, or maybe it will, it's just something I'm trying.
I love reading about everyone's running. It makes me realize that I'm not alone in my love of it.
Good luck all.

Sylvied
03-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Milmin2043 you are an inspiration. I'm not ready to do a half marathon yet but I love hearing about people who do them. It makes me think I might get there eventually.

I never thought I'd enjoy running. When I was a kid, I hated it because of all the competitive pressure placed on running and any sort of active or sport like activity at my school.

It wasn't until I grew up and my mother took up running as a way to reduce her osteoporosis risks that I recognized that it didn't have to be about competition. It could just be me doing something good for me - although I still compete with myself, I suppose.

autodidact
03-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Milmim...I have just read your story. You are an inspiration particularly as I start out on my running journey.

I am 50 years old, and have just started running. First week...run 1 min walk 1 min. A marathon seems a long way away right now, but my 5k is in May.

Sylvied. I love to hear you now enjoy running....I live in hope i will too one day soon!

And now i had better get off the computer and go for a run.

Auto

milmin2043
03-08-2012, 07:39 PM
auto- I was in the same place as you two years ago. I started out by walking 1 min, running 1 min. At first, the 1 min seemed like it would never end. I did that mainly on a treadmill and I would end the workout so sweaty and exhausted. I couldn't even think about running in an actual race.

Luckily, with running, you get better at it simply by doing it. I told myself that I would craft a running schedule and stick to it like glue. No matter what. There were very few things in life that I would allow to get in the way. Now, running is my salvation. When I'm feeling depressed and I go for a run, I suddenly feel better. When I'm upset, I go for a run and can rarely remember why I was mad afterward. I don't look like a professional runner, just a regular mother and grandmother who is competing against herself and fighting off an illness.

When I ran my first marathon, it was a life-changing experience. So many people talk about it being that way, but it's totally true. Nothing else has compared to the pride I felt. What an awesome experience. Keep going and don't count yourself short. We all have an athlete inside us.

sylvied-you can run a marathon if that's what you choose to do. It just takes determination and practice--practice running. You don't have to be fast or perfect, just do it. Thank you for your nice comments. :)

ncuneo
03-09-2012, 07:37 AM
When I ran my first marathon, it was a life-changing experience. So many people talk about it being that way, but it's totally true. Nothing else has compared to the pride I felt. What an awesome experience. Keep going and don't count yourself short. We all have an athlete inside us.

Boy can I relate to this! My first marathon is in 9 days and the training alone have been a life changing experience....it's hard to explain. Your story is inspirational and WOW! 5 1/2s this year! That's amazining!

Awesome work everyone. I haven't been a great thread leader lately.....super super busy, but I hope to get back here a bit more soon. Headed out for my 6 miler this morning...the only 3 runs left til my marathon!

devadiva
03-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Great stories and work by everyone!
Ran 5.1 miles this AM in 53:54 which is my best time per mile EVER...legs felt like they are getting a little power behind them.Knee hurting less of the time..keep on keep on....

milmin2043
03-09-2012, 08:45 PM
ncuneo-I can't wait to hear about your marathon. I am very excited for you. You're absolutely right. The marathon is great, and you will never forget what it feels like to cross the finish line, BUT, the training is the real victory. The fact that you got out there and did it every day is the amazing part. I don't know if you're like me, but I run basically alone. So, no one pushing me to do it or boot camp style screaming at me. I just get out there and do it every day.

Corny as it may sound, I will never forget that my limbs did not work at one point. Every time I'm running, I think about that and suddenly I get the push that I need to finish. I'm amazed that I'm actually run, even now.

It sounds like you have really stuck to your training plan and I'll bet you'll do a wonderful job in your first marathon. We are all cheering you on!

ncuneo
03-09-2012, 11:22 PM
^Thank you! I'm a solo runner too, so it's just me every time. I am actually running the marathon itself with a partner, but I actually kind of wished I wasn't...I know I'm gonna burst into tears around mile 24 and I'm not sure I want to share that moment if that makes sense...

devadiva
03-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Ran 5 miles again this morning different route {ALWAYS ON DIRT),cut another 3 seconds off per mile. 10:43. Not too bad as I said before for just starting in late Oct. And very late in life. I turn 60 in May and hope to do a 10 kin under an hour and 5.
NCUNEO and MILMIN you two are such an inspiration....just not sure my knee and joints can take it BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.......its darn addicting

milmin2043
03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
deva-that's great! My mom is 68 and she runs every day. Not long distance, but a little every day. She is one of the healthiest people I know. I will be 49 this year, so certainly no spring chicken. Sometimes when I'm out there, waiting to start a race, I feel 100 y/o when I look around at all the kids. You are doing GREAT!

ncuneo-I ran with another girl in my first marathon. We both started bawling when we saw mile marker 25. It was actually nice having someone there with me that understood and didn't make fun of me. Good thing too because there was no way I could control the tears. It was a mix of excitement, exhaustion and relief. I will never forget that.

chickadee32
03-11-2012, 03:10 AM
Did a 3 mile run last night, still at 5.0 mph. It didn't feel quite as good as usual, I think because I was a little dehydrated. This week I'll up the speed to 5.1 mph and see how that goes.

deva: Amazing that you're running at that speed, for that long, when you just started in October!

milmin and ncuneo: You guys amaze me with the distances you're able to run. When I occasionally do what is for me a longer run (5 miles) I really enjoy it but am BEAT, and I simply can't imagine running the kind of distances you guys manage. ncuneo, good luck with the upcoming marathon - I can't wait to hear about it!

ncuneo
03-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Deva - you're amazing!

Chickadee - I used to feel the same way, if you want it there's no stopping you if you train smart.

Last long run this morning, 8 miles, just two more runs left. I actually cried twice during my run this morning. It was all just overwhelming and it occurred to me that no matter what happens next Sunday I've completed a marathon training program and nothing can change that!

Anyway, have a great week everyone!!!

CherryPie99
03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
I also ran 8 miles this morning. It's the longest I've ever run outside. The first 4 miles were directly into a hard wind and I'll tell you, I almost gave up. But that made the run back pretty nice with the wind at my back. Average for the 8 miles was 10:06 so I was pretty psyched about that.

Funny thing is, I STILL don't think of myself as a runner!

chickadee32
03-11-2012, 08:31 PM
I didn't feel like going to the gym today, and it was a beautiful day, so I went for a run outside on a 5K loop I'd previously mapped out. My neighborhood is somewhat hilly and there is one BIG hill right at the start of the route, and I'm always so hesitant to run outside because I don't think I'll be able to make it and I'll have to stop to walk (until today I had never gotten past about 2 miles on that route). When I was running up that big hill today I was remembering trying to run that same hill last spring during one of my failed attempts at doing C25K. There is a basketball court near the top of the hill, and last year the teen boys there pointed and laughed when I had to stop and walk. There were kids there again today, and when I jogged by there was no pointing or laughter, and getting to the top of that hill felt like a little victory. I consciously tried to keep my pace slow during the run so that I could finish the route, and in the end I averaged about 5.2 mph - which is about the same pace I ran during my one and only 5K race in October. That seemed a little disappointing at first, until I remembered how hard I had to fight to finish that 5K and how I felt like I might collapse after, whereas today I felt fine. Tired for sure, but I could have run further. So there has been progress, and I'm a little less afraid to run outside now. :)

CherryPie, it's funny that you say that you still don't think of yourself as a runner. When I finished my run today I was thinking that if someday I can run a 5K in under 30 minutes - or run more than 3 miles at 6.0 mph - THEN I can consider myself a runner. That what I'm doing right now is still just jogging. But I know that if/when I get there, I'll still be looking around at how others run and thinking that I'm slow by comparison, out of breath when they're doing it with ease, etc. Anyway, you are most definitely a runner in my book! I would love to be able to run 8 miles (and at that pace!) someday.

milmin2043
03-13-2012, 02:03 AM
All of us ARE runners! Seriously. It doesn't matter the pace at which you run or the distance covered. When you get out there and run, you're a runner. For a while, I was all into checking out the Runner's World forums and comparing my running to others. Then I finally realized that if I am out there running, I'm a runner. I only compete with myself.

Let's face it...at my age (48) and with my current health status, I'm never going to win the Boston Marathon. However, I really enjoy running. It makes me feel good. It keeps my body in great shape. It's totally worth the difficulty.

When you were just sitting at home on the couch, not running, then you WEREN'T a runner. Now you are a runner! Every single one of us here, telling our tales of running is a runner. :)

devadiva
03-13-2012, 08:12 AM
All of us ARE runners! Seriously. It doesn't matter the pace at which you run or the distance covered. When you get out there and run, you're a runner. For a while, I was all into checking out the Runner's World forums and comparing my running to others. Then I finally realized that if I am out there running, I'm a runner. I only compete with myself.

Let's face it...at my age (48) and with my current health status, I'm never going to win the Boston Marathon. However, I really enjoy running. It makes me feel good. It keeps my body in great shape. It's totally worth the difficulty.

When you were just sitting at home on the couch, not running, then you WEREN'T a runner. Now you are a runner! Every single one of us here, telling our tales of running is a runner. :)

I tottally agree!

devadiva
03-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Only had time to run 3.1 today did it in 31:38 fastest time yet! Feeling pretty good knee feeling better.
Nueco: CANT wait to hear about your race!

seagirl
03-16-2012, 09:10 AM
My first 5K is tomorrow!! I walked (ran a little) Tuesday and Wednesday, did some kettle bells yesterday and will walk today. I feel ready, except for some shooting left quad pain that has been hanging around. It it worse when I get up from sitting, so I'm hoping it will fade during the race.

devadiva
03-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Many reasons but can not run in the 10k tommarro. So ran my own today. DID IT IN 1:04:59. On my garmin and it 6.2.1 miles. I AM THRILLED It was almost 8 min off the last time I ran it and today my knees did not hurt at all!!!!

devadiva
03-18-2012, 04:06 PM
NUENCO:!!!! Can not stop thinking about you today hope its going well let us know!!!

SGeranium
03-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm sure you rocked it!!!!!! Good job, you should be very very proud:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carr ot::carrot::carrot:

krampus
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I've been out running a couple times now after a few months of pretty much never running. Trying to make it a habit again. I picked up smoking (ewww) again so it's pretty hard on my lungs, but maybe this will work like it did a couple years ago and get me to stop smoking altogether so I can run better.

ncuneo
03-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Oh I adore you guys! Sorry to keep you in suspense, it's been a intense couple days. Here's the "official" race report - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/255237-ncuneo-marathoner.html

Hope you enjoy!

iowasteph2
03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Hello ladies! I introduced myself 3-4 weeks ago, and then I broke my toe and couldn't run for a while. I'm just starting to get back on track, but man oh man, the toe still hurts!!! I'm always motivated by all of you, so I look forward to participating more!

chickadee32
03-21-2012, 11:54 PM
seagirl: How did the 5K go?? Give us the report!

nunceo: I posted in the other thread, but congratulations again!! :D

milmin and deva: Thank you for the reassurance. :) My head will catch up to my body one day, I'm sure.

iowasteph: Welcome back! And be careful with the toe - make sure you let it heal enough!

krampus: I understand the struggle with the smoking! I hope the running has the desired effect. :)

Did a few runs over the last week at 5.1 mph - 3 miles Fri, 3.5 miles Sun plus some walk/sprint intervals, and then 3 miles tonight. All of them felt pretty good at the slightly increased speed, and I think I'm probably ready to up it again. Next run will be Fri night, hopefully 3 miles at 5.2 mph.

Q: How bad is it to run two days in a row? I was looking at the 10K training program put on by my local Fleet Feet store, and the schedule shows 4 runs/wk. I had always heard that you should take a day off between runs... but is that not universal guidance? I can't sign up for the 10K program anyway because I'll have to stop running for a few weeks again at the beginning of May when I do another embryo transfer, but I was thinking about maybe trying to do the training on my own at some point.

chickadee32
03-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Did my 3 miles at 5.2 mph tonight, and was really pleased to get through it with enough energy left to sprint at the end. Boy was I sweating though!

ncuneo
03-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks!

I'm still recovering, haven't run yet, hope to tomorrow. It's been a little tougher than expected and I wasn't really prepared for it.

On another note...I'm having a really hard time making it to 3FC these days to keep this thread as active as it used to be...I really don't want to just abandon it...so I was wondering if anyone wanted to take it over...it wasn't always my thread...LOL...I think I may have kind of stole it:)

I'd be happy to keep it going if you guys want, but I noticed a huge drop in participation and it's kinda bumming me out.

shananigans
03-25-2012, 04:54 PM
Congrats on being a marathoner ncuneo, that is amazing! :cp:

krampus, I know what you mean with the smoking, running definitely helps with the motivation! I still have a slip up now and then, and I am always reminded the next time I exert myself why I need to stay quit for real, I need all the O2 I can get in me! Have to remind myself social smoking is not a good excuse and not worth it in the long run.

chickadee32, running two days in a row isn't necessarily a problem, as long as you're gradually building up your weekly miles it should be fine. I think that advice is more for new runners doing a c25k type program. When I was doing my 12 week half-marathon training program I was running 6 days a week, usually alternating shorter runs with longer ones.

I guess I'm done with my c25k reboot so I'll join in here. Today I did 3.45 miles in 40 min. I was going for 3.1, but according to my GPS I overshot it a little. My legs felt like jelly and I was sucking wind up the last big hill, but I made it through. I remember what it was like to enjoy running, now that I am so slow and out of shape and pushing to be ready for an 8k on 4/28 I find I'm pushing past my comfort zone by the end of every run. I know I just have to push past this discomfort, but it makes me more than a little upset with myself when I think about how far I have fallen. Oh well, one step at a time, just need to build it up with each run.

chickadee32
03-26-2012, 12:29 AM
shananigans, thank you for the feedback. I always feel energized to run again the day after I've done a run, but never do because of thinking I have to wait another day. It's good to know I can if I take it slow/make it light! I'm sorry you feel like you're struggling right now - it must feel disappointing to not enjoy the running as much at the moment when you used to really love it. If you're already doing 3.5 though and still have a month to go before the 8K, you should be in good shape to do it! And to me, that's a pretty fast pace given that you've just started out again... I have just worked up to that pace after many months of building slowly. Your body will get used to it again, and it will become more enjoyable again with time, I am sure of it.

nunceo, I wish I could help out with the thread, but I'm already running one over in the challenge forum, and that's enough to keep up with as it is! I'm also kind of in and out of 3FC when I'm going through an IVF cycle, so not as consistent around here as I'd like to be anyway. Sorry though!

I did 3.5 miles today at 5.2 mph, which was what I was shooting for. I've been doing three runs (3 miles, 3.5 miles, 3 miles) at each speed before bumping it up slightly, which has been working well... but both the run Friday night and this afternoon were kind of tough, and so I think I might need to add in another run before I bump the pace up to 5.3 mph. I'm not working toward a particular goal on any particular time frame, so it seems I might as well take it slow! If anyone has any specific suggestions, I will definitely take them. :)

devadiva
03-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Lots going on not much extra time to run got 4 miles in today 43min. Knees still feeling good cross training really helped! Happy trails all....

shananigans
03-27-2012, 11:46 PM
Thanks chickadee32, I know you're right, it just seems so hard now. Do you run exclusively on a treadmill? I personally hate treadmills, I get so bored! It has to be pretty nasty outside before I'll step on one.

Talk about crappy runs, today I feel like I should have just stayed in. I've been feeling like I kind of have a bit of a cold for the last couple days, but not too bad and wasn't getting worse so I decided I'd just go out and try for 30 min at whatever pace I could manage. I won't have time to run for the next two days, so I was worried about such a long break between runs and deconditioning. Well, I managed around 2.3 mi in 30 min, barely felt like I was moving faster than walking I had no power to get up hills whatsoever. I had to stop and walk up to get up a hill 2 times. I just wasn't feeling it at all. And to top it all off I tripped over a tree root and did a dive roll about 30 seconds before I was officially done with my 30 min. Probably because I was looking and my watch and barely picking up my feet. :o At least I didn't hurt myself and no one saw me. Brushing it off and hoping for a great run on Friday. I could really use one right about now!

chickadee32
03-28-2012, 10:05 AM
shananigans: I'm sorry about the crappy run yesterday. :( I HATE when I have one of those. I do almost all of my running on the treadmill, in part because I typically exercise at night (9:30 or 10 pm) and in part because then the conditions (speed, incline) are totally controlled, lol. I like getting into my music and just being able to ignore everything else around me. I get outside for a run once in a while, but it's not often (maybe once every few weeks).

I went to a running clinic yesterday at my local FleetFeet, and it was interesting! I found out that, as I'd suspected, one of my legs is a bit longer than the other, and that's likely what has been causing the pain in my hip. I need to look for a heel lift to put under my shoe insert to correct that. They also gave me a bunch of other recommendations, including that I need to increase my cadence, which feels totally weird and wrong when I try it. The good news though was that the exercise specialist felt that the tack I'm taking to slowly improve my running is a good one, so yay!

After the clinic yesterday I did 3 miles at 5.2 mph last night. It definitely felt easier than the previous two runs at 5.2 mph, but I think I need a bit more before I can comfortably increase the speed. I think I'll do one more run at 5.2 mph as well as a longer run at a slower speed this weekend, and then increase to 5.3 mph for my first run next week.

devadiva
03-28-2012, 01:25 PM
chickadd:cool you went to a clinic sounds like all great advice a good to know you are on the right track, I admire you for running at night don't know if I would have the energy.
shananagins: hang in there do what you can do some days are better than others for no good reason and some times there are reasons

As for me I ran 4 miles today in 41;20. So today was a good day 10min 20 sec miles. Some days its 12. It helptoday to have my tunes the last 2 runs my Walkman decided not to work!!! So just got to listen to myself pant not what I like to do. It is finicky on the weather here cold and than warm it was 60 today and I finish at 10 am sweating YUCK going to need to get my butt out earlier! Happy running

chickadee32
03-30-2012, 12:20 AM
devadiva: I don't know how you did those runs without your music!! It totally kills my motivation when my ipod batteries die during a workout - the few times it has happened, I've just cut my workout short and gone home. :lol: I seriously don't feel like I can run without music.

Did a longer, slower run tonight - 5.1 miles at 4.8 mph (faster at the end). It felt pretty good; my legs turned to jello when I upped the speed to 5.5 mph and then 6 mph for the last few minutes, but otherwise I could definitely have gone longer. I need to get to the gym earlier the next time I plan a longer run... I REALLY want to run 10K on the treadmill at least once, just to know I can do it.

Aunty Jam
03-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Hey everyone... Mind if I join in? I'm a "kind of" runner... I worked my way through c25k about 2 years ago and I've been "kind of" running ever since. I say kind of because I still don't consider myself a runner. I didn't do much over the winter but I'm getting back into it now. I've done a few 5k's and have a regular 5k route that I run outside when I can... I'm in Canada so only hard core runners run outside in winter! 5k usually takes me about 45-55 minutes. I can't afford a gym so the treadmill in the basement is my friend all winter.

I run horribly slow and I have the ultimate goal of 5k in 30 minutes and a half marathon so I've decided to pick up the pace a bit. I'm doing c25k again, currently on week 3 but a lot faster then last time. I'm running at 5.2 mph on the treadmill as I'm aware it's easier then "real world" outside running. I'm hoping to do no less then 5mph outside, I'm putting off running outside, it's harder to track my distance and time out there.

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve speed? I figure after I finish the c25k at this speed I'm going to move on to a 10k and hopefully run that in August. The half I've mentally scheduled for next summer.

The other hurdle in my training is I keep sleeping through my runs! I'm trying to run in the mornings due to time, but this morning again I got up to run at what I thought was 5:45am (late to run but I could still get a short one in) only to discover it was 6:45 am and I was going to be late for work :( I have kind of a funny sleep thing where I'll do things (actions, talking etc...) that I don't remember in the morning so I must be turning off my alarm in my sleep :( Gaaaah! How frustrating!

Sorry for the long post.... thanks for any help :)

shananigans
03-30-2012, 01:37 PM
3.1 miles in 35:40, felt pretty good even going up 3 sizable hills. I will credit the nice cool mist and spending 11 hours in bed last night (I was wiped out and in bed by 8:30).

Aunty Jam, I don't focus much on speed, I find that just comes with time for me, but lots of runners do interval work to work on speed. I'm sure you can find lots of info on the internet. I have trouble getting up to run or work out in the morning too. I do it once in a while when it's the only way I can fit it in, but usually I try to do it when I'm more likely to be awake.

devadiva
03-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Ran 4 miles today 350ft gain in 1 mile of it rest was flat or the 1 mile downhill................All with no music!!! WALKMAN dead ordered a shuffle today will only put fast tunes in it and keep on truckin...IF ANYONE READ THIS BEFORE I HAD WROTE WRONG ELVEATION DON"T KNOW WHERE I CAME UP WITH IT???

devadiva
03-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Ran same 4 as yesterday trying to switch it up by adding elevation I HATE HAVING NO MUSIC!