40-Somethings - 40-Something Chat in March!

View Full Version : 40-Something Chat in March!

patchworkpenguin
03-01-2012, 12:35 AM
Just getting us started! Time to put Feburary behind us and March on!

andrew80k
03-01-2012, 09:44 AM
My goodness, is it March already???? Is the year flying by or what?

Well I got my 5k in 34:06 last night, my best time this year so far. Ate on plan except for the damn cookie. 1936 calories in and 3100 calories out. Upper body tonight. Yay! I'm at the beach this weekend so no more squats this week. Not sure what I'm going to do for lower body at the beach. I think my FIL's golf club has a small gym with some machines.

cldwv
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Interesting observation from last night's dinner with girlfriends. Had my grilled chicken and small side salad and was quite content. Their portions on the other hand were enormous. I couldn't believe it. It was something I had never really paid attention to before but wowza! Made me wonder how they could eat all of that (not in a judgmental way). How does it all fit in there and how do they not weigh 300 pounds? I think it's a good sign that I'm becoming more aware and accountable (and not the slightest bit tempted).

traveling michele
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Interesting observation from last night's dinner with girlfriends. Had my grilled chicken and small side salad and was quite content. Their portions on the other hand were enormous. I couldn't believe it. It was something I had never really paid attention to before but wowza! Made me wonder how they could eat all of that (not in a judgmental way). How does it all fit in there and how do they not weigh 300 pounds? I think it's a good sign that I'm becoming more aware and accountable (and not the slightest bit tempted).

I know what you mean. Once I really started watching what I eat, I started watching what others eat. Not be be judgmental, but you just notice things more. I still get bummed when I see very thin folks eating all sorts of junk, but I know their insides are probably not healthy. I do notice more thin people that eat very healthily. I had always thought the thin folks ate whatever they wanted and were just blessed with being thin! I know I didn't really think that, but part of me did. :devil:

GemIAm
03-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Happy March!

My month is off to a great start...down 5.2 lbs at my weigh-in today!
Of course, I came in at 250.2...looking forward to saying "I weigh less than 250." Next week!
I am 27% of the way toward my goal weight!
I also ordered myself a Yoga for large bodies and Pilates for weight loss DVDs...I can wait!

My biggest NSV is having more energy to play with my kids & horses!

SnowAngel72
03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I just turned 40 in Feb. Thought I would say hi and start chatting with y'all. My March weight wise is not starting off good. I gained last month. Which I am not really surprised about. I was sick most of the month. (still have the cough and the nice(not so nice) side effects from the antibotic.) I will start back up exercising with zumba when that is over with but I am back to using the weights today.

Hi. :)

patchworkpenguin
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Pretty day here. I've got the windows open again! Cardio and stretching for later.

My mom got me watching Dr Oz for a few weeks, one thing he said was to have a 'cheat' day. I tried this and it seems to work, if I have one day I can go 'overboard' I can 'do better' the rest of the week. So yesterday was my day this week, while last week it was Thursday.

Gem, great job on your 5 lbs.

cldwv, years ago, Hubby and I used to eat at Taco Bell about once a weekend, we would each get 3 tacos, beans, and a large {huge} drink...and finish it all. Nowdays we wonder how we ate that much. :dizzy:

SnowAngel, welcome, glad to have you join us.

Andrew, good time for the 5k. Enjoy the beach.

patchworkpenguin
03-01-2012, 06:04 PM
I did 25min of cardio and 25min of active stretching.

andrew80k
03-02-2012, 11:26 AM
I did good yesterday on my eating. 2000 calories in, but I didn't get my workout in so only 2600 out. My youngest DD fell in the playground at school and hit a bench head on. She got a concussion and had to be taken to the emergency room. She's ok, but it threw my schedule off and I wasn't able to recover. But I am down another 1.2 pounds, so officially 20 pounds lost. Yay!

traveling michele
03-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Hope your dd is okay Andrew! Those concussions can have some persistent effects.

My b-day is tomorrow. I'll be 45. I have some relatively major eating planned over the weekend. I hope I don't do too much damage. I will definitely still exercise and try to moderate the eating!

andrew80k
03-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Hope your dd is okay Andrew! Those concussions can have some persistent effects.

My b-day is tomorrow. I'll be 45. I have some relatively major eating planned over the weekend. I hope I don't do too much damage. I will definitely still exercise and try to moderate the eating!

Thanks. She'll be ok. They did a CT scan of her head and no bleeding or anything on the brain, but she did go unconscious briefly so a pretty hard hit and a nasty bruise on her forehead.

Happy 45th birthday!!! :bday2: Hope you have a great one and enjoy yourself!!

cldwv
03-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Geez Andrew. That's so scary! I'm glad to hear she's doing okay.

Happy birthday Michelle and early happy birthday Andrew. I just turned 44. Funny how we're all clumped together like that.

patchworkpenguin
03-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Hubby stayed up til Mid last night watching Top Gear, then April <-- woke us up an hour later trotting around the house and barking {her signal that something is wrong} so we investigated that, but while we had investigated she went back to bed so it was probably just a squirrel on the roof! I tend to sleep late on Fridays but my parents called to ask if they could come by and give me money/coupon to buy myself a Bday present? Who would turn them away??? As soon as they left Hubby came home for lunch {a rare occurance}, so here it is 11am and I'm just starting my morning routine. :dizzy:

BTW: my Bday isn't until April. The Bible study Mom and I {CBS} attend announced that what we will study next year and said we will change from the NIV to the ESV translation, which I don't have, so my parents offered to buy me one for my Bday. Because of my vision I need a large print which I sometimes have to order. Also, my parents like to plan ahead...something which I didn't inheirit from them.

Cardio for later. I have the windows open again, its nice outside; high of 81* but its overcast, very windy, and is supposed to rain.

Andrew, poor DD! Glad to hear she's okay! Yay on your 20lbs!!

Michele, Happy Bday! :hb: Have a great weekend.

patchworkpenguin
03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I did 30min on the dreadmill, then stopped and did 30min with Leslie from 5MFB. I enjoyed the second workout a lot more.

Joplingrl
03-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Had my second wi today was down 6lbs and 7 inches. That's 13 lbs in two weeks.

patchworkpenguin
03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I can report that Mr Scale says the same, my measurements are all the same but I'm able to wear clothes that were too small the last time I tried them on. :?:

ETA: I did 51min of cardio = 4 miles with Leslie.

Joplin, great loss! :dance:

TechAlum
03-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Hello All,

Sorry I posted my info then disappeared. I did start a blog and have started posting to that. I kind of like talking to myself :lol: Actually it stops the voices running thru my head to put them down on screen (I was going to say paper but that didn't seem right).

I actually had a not too bad week there were a couple of days that I definitely could have eaten healthier, and I really should have exercised more, but over all not too bad a week. And good news it actually showed on the scale at WW this morning I'm down 1.6 now I just need to keep it off as well as some more. Spent some time this afternoon making reservations for a September vacation (my parents are giving us some timeshare points so I needed to make reservations early), and it kind of makes me want to be thinner by then. I'd like to say my goal will be to be in onderland but I know myself and 35 lbs in 6 mos is NOT a reasonable goal, so I'll have to think of something else. It's 28 weeks away so maybe 25 lbs that's not quite a pound a week.......

To all who lost congratulations :carrot:

Andrew - Sorry to hear about your daughter, glad she's ok must have been scary for you though

Patch - sorry to ask but what is 5MFB??? Also my DH likes Top Gear too, does your's download the current season or watch it on BBCAmerica?

Have a great day.

patchworkpenguin
03-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Donna, sorry, 5MFB is shorthand for Leslie Sansone's 5Mile Fat Burning DVD. I'm on a DVD fitness forum and we have all these abbreviations which sometimes I use over here thinking someone would know what I'm talking about.:dizzy: Hubby watches on BBCA and now has started watching the TG American version, too. ;) Where are you going in Sept?

traveling michele
03-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes! Great day so far. Off to bikram yoga with dh shortly.

TechAlum
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Penguin - Figured it was something like that. We're going to Washington DC (we'll be staying in Alexandria actually) and Williamsburg. It should be fun and we're going after Labor Day so all the kiddies will be back in school...

Just got back from church and lunch out. Should have skipped the biscuits it pushed me over on points (with my planned dinner) but I often use some of my weeklies when we go out to lunch on Sunday. Now to get the pork in the marinade for dinner and take the dogs out for a walk.

Have a great day everyone.

guacamole
03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
andrew - sorry to hear about your daughter! Glad she is doing ok.

Happy birthday, Michelle and cldwv!

patch - you are such an inspiration with your exercise!

Joplingrl and Techalum -congrats on the weight loss!

I have been noticing that my size 14s are getting loose, but I'm not ready to purge and replenish with size 12s yet (mostly because my back hurts too much to shop!). However, I keep seeing people posting about going down to lower sizes (10,8,6,4) who weigh more than I do and are the same height, a bit taller, or even shorter! Why am I such a big size? I am a busty gal with hips, but still. It seems like I should be a smaller size than I am.... What's the deal? Does anyone else feel this way?

patchworkpenguin
03-04-2012, 10:18 PM
We had a nice time with my parents; Hubby and Dad did that male bonding thing {involving computers and cars} while Mom and I took a walk around the neighborhood.

Speaking of Leslie I found her new 5 Day workout at Target. Its not supposed to be released until the end of March.

Guac, I tried on some pants that I couldn't get buttoned or zipped the last time I tried them, and I could put them on but not quite wear them. I haven't lost any weight since DECEMBER, all my measurements are the same and I'm confused. Maybe brands or cuts make a difference?

Donna, Williamsburg sounds wonderful. Hopefully it will be cooler this year.

andrew80k
03-05-2012, 08:34 AM
An OK weekend at the beach. It rained the entire time. :( But we did get to watch some Basketball which was nice and it was pretty relaxing. I stayed on plan for the most part, but did have a couple of meals that weren't strictly on plan though I accounted for the calories, which is most of the battle anyway. WI this morning showed me another pound and a half down for the week. Yay!! Making progress. I'm liking the way my clothes are fitting too.

DD is doing OK but still showing some signs of the concussion. Dr. said she would for a week or so.

Congratulations to all you losers!! :D

cldwv
03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
I have been noticing that my size 14s are getting loose, but I'm not ready to purge and replenish with size 12s yet (mostly because my back hurts too much to shop!). However, I keep seeing people posting about going down to lower sizes (10,8,6,4) who weigh more than I do and are the same height, a bit taller, or even shorter! Why am I such a big size? I am a busty gal with hips, but still. It seems like I should be a smaller size than I am.... What's the deal? Does anyone else feel this way?This is so annoying and I feel the same way. You're doing way better than me as I am not back in my 14s yet but it's hard to not compare yourself to others. I posted last week that I watched the biggest loser last week and the people on the screen who weighed less than me looked so much bigger than me. It's hard to square that in the mind. I'm not watching that show again!

Hang in there. You're doing great and I love reading about your progress. It helps so much.

cldwv
03-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Patch="Dreadmill," I'm stealing that one!

Joplin=Awesome progress. Good for you!

cldwv
03-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Andrew=As always a huge inspiration and possibly a machine!? :-)

Sparx
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone, good week had a bit of a whooosh and I'm down 4lb, lots of exercise and feeling so much stronger and more energised! Hope you're all doing great :D

cldwv
03-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi everyone, good week had a bit of a whooosh and I'm down 4lb, lots of exercise and feeling so much stronger and more energised! Hope you're all doing great :DThat is awesome! I might faint if I saw a four pound loss on the scale at this point.

patchworkpenguin
03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Nothing exciting to report yet. I got a migraine last night {or at least a bad headache} so I slept later this morning and didn't start the bread process. I need a bread break anyway. The son of one of Hubby's friends is in school to be a gunsmith, he told Hubby that if he ever needed anything done he would 'work for my homemade bread'. Hey, I always appreciate the barter system!

Laundry and cardio for later.

cldwv, I think I stole 'dreadmill' from someone else, too. ;) I have a set of Cathe Friedrich workouts and I used to follow this one girl because I thought she was about my size, but it turned out she's about 5 ft tall and a size 2. Um, no, I'm much bigger than she is at 5'7 and then around 200lbs. I'm not sure I could get my arm into a size 2 pant.

Sparx, great job! I would be happy to see 4 lbs also.

Andrew, sorry to hear about the rain, but it sounds like a nice time with family anyway.

cldwv
03-05-2012, 01:10 PM
cldwv, I think I stole 'dreadmill' from someone else, too. ;) I have a set of Cathe Friedrich workouts and I used to follow this one girl because I thought she was about my size, but it turned out she's about 5 ft tall and a size 2. Um, no, I'm much bigger than she is at 5'7 and then around 200lbs. I'm not sure I could get my arm into a size 2 pant.We're almost twins. I'm 5'7+ and weighed in at 213 this AM.

I don't know about you but I get sooo annoyed when I see size 0 when I'm shopping. Who wears a size 0?!

patchworkpenguin
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Cldwv, my mother is 5'6, weighs about 140 and is a size 4/6. Some days I just have to look at her to get depressed. She takes after her Gma while I take after my dad's mother. Which means she's tall, but small boned, and actually rather fragile looking compared to me. I have a lot of muscle, large bones, and would never be discribed as delicate, lol. I try never to be next to her when we have pictures taken:o. Oddly, we are both pears but she's more of an hourglass pear, while I'm more of an apple/pear.

I like shopping at Ross because they divide the sizes up, so I'm not digging through the 6, 8's to get to the 18's.

Someone on 3FC posted a thread about buying jeans. She's a size 6 but was looking at 4's. She said the sales guy told her that the style she was looking at was 'cut for fat girls'! I got so mad, what kind of idiot thinks a size 4 is FAT? This is what's wrong with the world! Okay, rant over!

TechAlum
03-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Andrew and Sparx - Congrats on the losses.

Penguin - I'm hoping it won't be to hot also that's why we're going the end of Sept instead of in the summer (plus we don't have kids so don't have to worry about summer vacation)

Guac - First off congrats on going down a size, that is an awesome NSV. Sizes and weights are kind of tricky, I wear a much smaller size than my height and weight should dictate (I'm 5'8" and 235 lbs and I wear a size 18 in regular stores 16 in plus size stores, and can go down a size depending on the cut) but I carry my weight pretty much all over, not just around the middle/chest/or butt like so many. I used to laugh when I went to WW and people would talk about dropping a size for every 10 lbs :eek: seriously at my heaviest I was a 100 lbs more than when I went to college and only 4 sizes bigger, however you do math that's not a size for every 10 lbs. Any way the best thing is not to worry about others, I frequently think of my sister and I as the same weight, we are the same height and size but she carries all her weight in her chest and middle, so actually weighs quite a bit less than me.

Yesterday did not turn out as well as I had hoped. Two of my biggest downfalls are chips and wine (sometimes together) and last night the wine got the better of me, but I'm back on track today and moving forwards.

Have a great day everyone.

patchworkpenguin
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
I did 3 miles from Leslie's Ultimate 5 Day; Red, Green, and Purple miles {named according to the backgrounders shirt color}, abs and stretch ~ 50min. Nothing revolutionary here but I thought it was fun, Leslie fans will be happy. I don't usually pay a lot of attention to the music but I thought it was all new {was that Barry White in the green mile?:D}. New to me moves were grapevine with a kickback, arms 'up, side, DOWN, and side', and the 'mambo combo' {front, back, side, back}. No jogging in those 3 miles, but the green mile started out in a grapvine after a few walks to catch the beat. I was surprised there was no cooldown before we hit the floor for the abs {my HR was 130}, but the CD played after the stretch?? Abs wasn't very hard {to me} we did bent knee lifts, crunches, half a Pilates hundred, and some bike, I thought it could have been longer. The stretch is preformed on the back, I wasn't thrilled with this one either, 'hug the knee' both sides, lay bent knees to each side, arms overhead with feet flexed, arms out to side than raised over chest, back to hug/knee, then to straight leg for hamstrings, flexing foot.

I found this picture of me, mom, sis taken a few years ago. http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj427/penguinspics/KrissvisitJuly09007.jpg

Donna, Hubby and I keep planning an vacation to MO/AR in the spring but something keep coming up each year.

andrew80k
03-06-2012, 09:22 AM
OP yesterday. ~2000 in and ~3000 out. I got my 5k in last night in 33:29. My best time since restarting. One of my goals was getting in the 220's. I'm almost there.

Patch You're doing great on your exercise. You do quite the variety. "Dreadmill" -- that's funny, I don't care who you are.

Donna Nothing wrong with sipping a little wine now and again, but just make sure you don't do it too often and get right back on plan. I hit the bourbon every now and then, I just try not to hit it too hard or too often.

Guac Loose clothes is progress. I'm liking the fit of mine these days, though later they'll hang off me.

cldwv Not a machine, I'm just ready. I have realistic goals and timelines, and more important I know HOW to get there. Something I've not really had in other attempts in the past.

patchworkpenguin
03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Cleaning house this AM. Cardio for later.

Andrew, thank you! I'm trying to be more consistant and add workouts on the weekends. My theory is if I plan something for every day, but miss one or two I'm not going to feel guilty about skipping workouts.

patchworkpenguin
03-06-2012, 04:35 PM
While waiting for my bath/kitchen floors to dry I did the rest of the new Leslie. Today I did Blue, Arms {just to see if the program would let me}, Yellow, Chest/Back, and Stretch ~40min. Once again the CD appeared after the stretch! First, there's no jogging at all:(. Things of note in the Blue, Tina sings 'Proud Mary' and we do jumprope and jacks! Prances and half jacks would work as a modification but the segment isn't long. Arms consists of hammer curls and 2 sets of French Press {I used 8's}, Yellow was pretty basic Leslie. Chest/Back involved 2 alternating sets of knees pushups and bird-dog. Then the stretch.

FatCat150
03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Well I've been 40 now for almost 6 days now. I still feel like I'm 39 going on 93. I've got a very bad case of hand to mouth syndrome. *sigh* I so wish that hubby could be more supportive. How do ya'll handle the munchies?

Cat

andrew80k
03-07-2012, 08:42 AM
I had to go sign the paperwork for my new job after I got off of my current job yesterday. Traffic was a nightmare and I got home more than an hour late. This threw off my whole night and I wasn't able to get my workout in. :( But the new job pays a LOT more, so worth it in the long run. Run tonight on my Dreadmill :D. 1900 calories in yesterday, only 2600 out. :( Still any deficit is better than no deficit.

Cat You're not going to get any younger either. There are lots of methods for handling eating issues. You have to find what works for you. I eat small meals more often. That works for me. You just need to find your way. Unfortunately, I can't help you with your DH. You can try to talk to him about it. Most of us need to be hit over the head with stuff. You might use a rolling pin or an iron skillet. Those work remarkably well. Ask my DW. :D

Patch I don't know what it is you're doing for your exercise. It's like you are speaking a foreign language. Who or what is Leslie? I take it that's a person? These are DVD's, yes? What's up with the colors? Why is someone singing on a workout DVD? Are they fun?

patchworkpenguin
03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Andrew, yes they are fun! {or else I wouldn't work out, I need someone to 'virtually' workout with or I flounder} http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/leslie-sansones-ultimate-5-day-walk-plan-6155 This is a link to the workout I did for the past two day, notice the clip. I got mine at Target over the weekend, before the official release date. Leslie Sansone is the instructor {she has 100+ workouts out}, she's fun, enthusiastic, and a great alternative to the dreadmill. 99% of the time I post a workout, there's a DVD or CD involved. {lol, dreadmill was in my FF spelling dictionary whereas it keeps telling me cardio isn't a word!}

FatCat, I try to eat larger portions of lower cal food to fill me up, but sometimes I just want to eat for the sake of eating something. I start with a piece of gum {I like Extra's Dessert Delights choc mint Ice cream flavored gum} and see if that works. If not and I still want something I try to pick something as healthy as possible, and portion. control! :dizzy:

cldwv
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Hey Cat--Does your plan allow you a cheat day? Mentally, I've found that works for me. If I have a day where I allow myself some wiggle room, the rest of the week works better. I'm not saying go crazy but you know...

Keep things on hand that will get you through the cravings. For me, it's pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, my favorite herbal teas, pre cut and washed veggies, string cheese. If it's there and I can grab at will, I do much better.

patchworkpenguin
03-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Cardio and lower body for later. Its supposed to get to 71* today but it doesn't look likely. overcast windy, and chilly is a better description.

I weighed today. I'm down 2 lbs but this puts me back to what I have posted. So no excitement of a new loss. I did get asked if I lost weight today. Yay!

FatCat150
03-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Andrew - since my Hubby already has a brain injury I think I'll pass on clobbering him with a skillet.

Patch- I attempted the smaller meals for a little while. If it weren't for hubby I'd have done ok but everything I do affects him. He saw me eating and he started dwelling on food. His therapist scolded me. *sigh* We live sorta like he is still driving truck and will be leaving tomorrow. Hubby is stuck in a time warp Makes it rough. I do chew gum but I have to be careful cause my jaws tend to hurt.

cldwv- My plan is simple. eat less focus on veggies and protein and a bit of good whole grain carbs. I keep lots of fresh veggies and healthylow cal/carb snacks around but one night of the munches wipes everything out including the gallon jaw of pickles if I end up mindlessly eating. I'm wondering how much of this is stress induced. I've always been heavy but I seem to eat more when stressed.

Thanks Cat

leighrabun
03-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I am back.....the end of Feb. was like a bad dream. 7 days no walking bad eating. I had alot going on here but I am back and I am wallking, drinking my water, eating better.
I only lost 7lbs in Feb
Goal for this March is ten pounds!!!

lets see who trys to trip me up this mounth

andrew80k
03-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Andrew - since my Hubby already has a brain injury I think I'll pass on clobbering him with a skillet.

Thanks Cat

Oh, I'm sorry. Though I did mean that metaphorically, it has to be more difficult having those kinds of challenges. If you can't do smaller, more frequent meals, you'll have to come up with something else. You're probably not really hungry and you're probably a stress eater, what you call "mindless". Have you seen a doctor lately?

defenestrator
03-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Andrew -- how frequently are you doing timed 5k's? I've been thinking about doing that as a measure of fitness progress too. I'm guessing my 5k time would be about 40 minutes right now. I was supposed to run one this weekend in a race, but it's looking like the morning when it's scheduled is going to be too chaotic.

I'm feeling more positive this week. The weather has been awesome for the past few days. It's 65 now! For comparison, I've run in the snow maybe 7 of the past 10 days.

I'm considering cutting my calories back. I've been eating about 1800 and working out for around an hour a day and had been making a .5-1.0 lb progress per week, but that has slowed down. Not quite sure I'm ready to go down all the way to 1200, but maybe more like 1400, with a big breakfast, maybe 600 calories, a 200-300 calorie lunch and a 500-600 calorie dinner. I think I can do it.

For non-scale-victories, my running shoes are too big. My feet have shrunk, mostly width-wise.

patchworkpenguin
03-07-2012, 05:33 PM
I did 36min of Plyometrics. The instructor does two sets of each exercise, so I tried to do 1 set plyo and 1 set low impact but sometimes I was between the two on the impact-meter, otherwise know as my creaky floor. Next I did 35min of cardio/weights.

I'm eating a Jonagold apple for my after workout snack; I've not tried this particular kind before, but I just realized the 'sparkles' on my computer screen were apple juice squirted out when I take a bite, :D.

The weather cleared up, Mr Sun came out to play. :sunny:

FatCat150
03-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Andrew- I must confess its been ages since I last saw a DR. A side affect of hubby's accident is no insurance for me. He has Medicare and Workmans Comp so he is covered but not me.

andrew80k
03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
I've stayed on plan all week, and was down another half pound. Yesterday was 1850 calories in and 3050 out. I did my 5k run in 32:56. Beat my best time by half a minute. My stamina is increasing pretty well now. Took a while. I started running at about a 4.5 mph pace back in January. I increased to 5.0 in February and am now at 5.5 and 6.0. I do 10 minutes at 5.5 and then the rest at 6.0. I have a suunto watch with a foot pod and heart rate monitor so that I can regulate my pace when I run outside. I don't do that much due to shin splints.

defenestrator I time my run every time. I do it 3 days a week. I don't always go to beat my previous times though. It kind of depends on how I feel. I bump up my starting speed every so often so I'm progressing. My current goal is to get somewhere between 20-25 minutes for a 5k by Summer.

Cat You have a number of challenges and feel for you. Weight loss is always a struggle when you don't have challenges, adding additional obstacles to it makes it that much more stressful. Do you have any health issues that you know about that might cause you issues with weight loss? When you start a new diet/lifestyle, there are adjustment periods. You could try adding more protein or complex carbs to your planned meals. That might stave off the hunger until you can adjust. You can also ask for advice in the weightloss support forum. There are a lot of other folks there that might offer some good advice on how to approach it.

Patch Yay for Mr. Sun. It was nice here yesterday and going to be nicer today. Too bad I'm stuck inside since I'm a computer geek by trade.

patchworkpenguin
03-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I helped out our Bible Study co-ordinator today and led a group. Before our Lecture the speaker usually shows the crafts made in the Children's Ministry. The CO is an older lady who doesn't walk well so she asked me to quick run downstairs and get them, so picture me jogging through the basement of the church holding a pink pig puppet and an happy/sad mask! But I got them there on time!:p

Cardio and Classical stretch for today. Its raining as its supposed to do for the rest of the week. :(

kandyrews
03-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Well I haven't been here much lately, nothing really to report, nothing good anyway. Haven't lost anymore weight. I initially lost 5 pounds in a month after I started working out on January 6th, but I haven't lost anymore weight since then. I don't understand why I'm not losing something. My calories have for the most part been under 1350 occasionally they hit 1450. I don't eat great, but I don't eat bad either. I rarely snack, I drink nothing but water. I don't even use sugar in my coffee anymore. I drink a protein shake for breakfast and eat a light lunch, then a regular dinner. I eat clementines and nuts for snacks. I workout 5 days a week walking 35 minutes with inclines up to 6.0. And still, I lose no weight. I'm going to talk to my Dr. about this. Glad to see everyone here is still don't great and making accomplishments. You have much to be proud of.

andrew80k
03-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Checking in. 1900 calories in yesterday, 2900 out. Did upper body last night and I'm a little sore today. Not bad, but I can feel I did something, which is good. Hoping to break into the 220's this week. Up day today on calories and will run my 5k this evening. Busy weekend with DDs Girl Scouts. I have to run the Ice Cream booth at family day on Sunday. Only half an hour though so that's good.

Kandy I hate that you're having trouble. My DW has gone through this same thing and has quit most of the time because of it. I know how frustrating it can be watching her go through it. Especially since she lives with me, and I've never had trouble losing weight when I focus on it. We can do the same things and eat the same things, I lose 20 pounds and she loses nothing. She has hypothyroid, back issues, and other stuff going on too, so it's a good idea to see your Dr. and make sure you don't have any medical issues causing your frustrations.

Speaking of DW, she signed up for a Medifast based system and will start when her product gets in. Hope it works for her.

Hope everyone has a safe and on-plan weekend. I have Lower body tomorrow (Squats! Ugh) and will take Sunday off.

defenestrator
03-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Next week I'm doing an 11 day ******** "cleanse" which is really, in my mind, l a very low calorie liquid diet/fast. I don't love the MLM nature of it, but I do think that dropping 4-5 lbs will help shake me out of my stall. Mentally, I really need to be below the 230 mark to feel like my short-term goals are achievable.

In the more long-term view, I'm upping my mileage to be consistently 4-6 miles and trying to work toward running a full six without stopping. On day two of running in minimalist shoes (vibrams) and I really like them. I wasn't sure if my body could handle the lack of cushioning at my weight, but it seems to be doing fine. Also going to try to keep my calories consistently lower. At higher weights it was good enough to just work out some and be below 2000 calories, but it seems that now that's not quite enough to keep going. I am totally committed to continuing to lose weight until I am at least below 185 or so, probably below 165, maybe as low as 145.

defenestrator
03-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Ha! The name of the company that sells the product I'm using for the cleanse was edited out. That makes me even more likely to be suspicious of them. I go into this knowing that I'm paying too much and that it's a bit of a scam, but I'm working with a whole bunch of people doing the 11 day as a group at my gym and the structure is helpful to me. I've done enough research to feel confident that there's not anything really harmful in there.

patchworkpenguin
03-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I never did yesterday's workout. I hit the couch and didn't move until Hubby got home, LOL. I might have been better off doing it however I woke up today with a hurting back, not sure if it was Wed's deadlifts or sleeping on it wrong. I took something for it and took another nap, but I feel better now.

Defen, I've been doing the majority of my workouts for the past two months barefoot on carpet. I have balance problems and working out barefoot has certainly helped strengthen my feet, I can actually tell a difference and can stand on one foot for a few seconds now.

defenestrator
03-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Once a week I do a class at my gym that is totally barefoot, called Willpower and Grace. It's improved my balance a lot! I also think I couldn't handle this minimalist shoe running without it.

patchworkpenguin
03-10-2012, 10:22 PM
66* here. :sunny: Its supposed to rain all next week also! Don't forget to turn those clocks forward tonight!

Yesterday, I did 50min of cardio. Hubby and I got a bunch of errands done today, but left time to take April for a walk this afternoon, so we get to do the rest of the errands tomorrow after church.

anjsmom
03-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi all newbie here! I'm hopefully moving into Phase 2 of Ideal Protein this week! Look for support because I feel losing is the easy part ( ok ducking now!!!) Maintaining I find a constant battle. I loved how the weight came off and I have been really focusing on excerise because now I have a pancake butt, I really need to tone my muscles! As u can see I've lost almost 60lbs. I'm feeling great and look forward to all your support. Thx.

House Cat
03-12-2012, 08:16 AM
I am resurfacing. I first appeared in January but I ran into the lovely wall of being exceedingly busy with my home based business and falling off the wagon....what is new. I was doing low calorie and sneaking my wine in there, but I cannot do that. I tend to get a little too free with my snacks when I indulge in wine....so, it is back to Low Carb for me, which has always been my saviour in the the past. I tend to do Low Carb/Low Cal and it seems to fit me very well. Although we are allowed to have butter, mayo and other high fat products while lowcarbing, I do tend to try to keep those to a minimum. As a result, I am 9 lbs down from my starting weight...and although I did join in January, I *restarted* my diet on March 3rd, because I had gained it all back plus a pound.

Just wanted to jump right back into the posts so I can read how everyone is doing and stay motivated!

andrew80k
03-12-2012, 09:47 AM
Checking in after a busy weekend. My eating was a little sporadic for content, but calories was in my acceptable range so all good there. I spent yesterday walking around a park for a few hours so got some movement in, too. I did full up measurements on Saturday.

BF%: 28 -- down a total of 5%
Weight: 228.6 -- down a total of 24 pounds
Gut: 40.5 inches -- down a total of 4 inches.

Still a long way to to go, but I'm making good progress. 5k run tonight.

It's also my oldest DD's birthday. She's 10. So there will likely be cake. :) I'll have to fit that into my plan.

Sparx
03-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi all checking in 3 1/2lbs gone this week and I'm over half way! I'm starting to believe I can do this!! Eating healthily and regular workouts are totally agreeing with me, I have so much more energy and feel so positive. Hope ur all doing well :D

NEMom
03-12-2012, 02:37 PM
Thought I would touch base with all my fabulous 40 friends. I have been so busy with work and life that I have read posts but just have not had time to respond.
I have had good and bad days with food and not smoking. A couple of weeks ago I added a bootcamp class to my regular work outs and I really do like it. Two more weeks left then I am gonna try ZUMBA. My weight has stayed consistant. I stay between the same 2-3 pounds, wish I could drop 10 more but it just is not happening right now.
I looks like everyone is doing so well. PP & Andrew your exercise schedules inspire me. Congrats on your weight losses too.
Hope you have a good week. Looking forward to being a more frequent visitor.

patchworkpenguin
03-12-2012, 06:34 PM
This morning has been busy, why is it that everything seems to land on one or two days a week? So I started bread and laundry this morning. Washed all the veggies we bought at the store last night. Made red roasted pepper and garlic hummus for lunch {looked like something out of a horror flick but tasted good}, I sent a picture to Hubby at work, he wasn't impressed. I decided to try making onion and olive bread today so I had to cook an onion, get that chopped and cooled, then roll out the dough. Hubby doesn't like olives so I only made one loaf of olive bread and two with onions. I'm not really sure how its going to work overall. Then between loads/folding I did miles 1,2,3 from Leslie's 5RBM. Now that this post is all about food...

NE, good to hear from you!

Sparx, congratulations!

Andrew, great results! remember you can have some cake, just not all of it!:dizzy:

Cat, glad to have you back!

Anjs, I have a hard time losing, but I can really be all over the place with food/exercise and still maintain. our bodies are weird!

jennjenn125
03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Hi all, I'm new here too. Lost over a hundred pounds in my thirties and was thrilled with how I felt when I was lean and fit. Since then 50 lbs have crept back and it feels awful and this time around am having such a hard time losing it. I don't know if it is because I am under stress or the joys of being over 40.

A month ago DH was diagnosed with type II diabetes. He was always one of those tall (6'1") skinny guys but had been getting a belly. Started falling asleep after eating, cranky (or more than usual :)) and noticed he wasn't healing as quickly. So we cleaned up his food and reversed the diabetes and high cholesterol, thank goodness, and he has lost 16 lbs. A few years ago I read an article that discussed the idea that getting fat was our body's protection against the damage that the food was doing to it, and those that didn't get fat were being hurt more by the food than we were. So getting fat wasn't the disease but a protection mechanism - I did gain more than 100 lbs eating his way way back when. Small comfort! But looking at us, society would think I was the sick one since I am short and round and he looked 'normal', but internally I am the picture of health and he was really sick.

Which means that this morning he weighs less than I do. He's down from 198 lbs. He's found the weight loss effortless. I am of course thrilled for him and he is taking such pleasure in feeling good for the first time in a very long time. I want to feel good like that again! I want to love exercise again. I use a trainer (heck, I used to be a personal trainer) and I just have not been able to get to the point where it feels good and I want to do more (hence the blood tests but they all came back normal).

Tonight is my regular night with my trainer and have been going for over a year now and will go 30 min earlier tonight to do some treadmill work. I love the term I read on here - dreadmill. So apt. I used to love running outside, though. I just can't shake the feeling of being a giant hamster.

andrew80k
03-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Checking in. I did pretty well through most of the day but ate out last night and to put it mildly, I went a touch overboard. I had a pasta and shrimp dish that was very tasty and if it was just that it wouldn't have been bad, but it was the 5 cheese marinara sauce that put me over the edge. So the dulci size of the Tiramisu put me at 2896 calories in :O and with my 5k dreadmill run I ended up with 3100 out. So still a little bit of a deficit. No doing that again today, or this week. DW's medifast stuff came in yesterday finally so she'll be starting that today. :/ Hopefully it will work for her.

NEMom Glad you checked in. Good to see you are still putting up the good fight against the smoking habit. Keep at it. It's worth it, I know.

Patch You just get stuff done. That's great.

Jenn Welcome. I'm 6'2" and carry all my weight in my middle. I've lost 24 pounds and still have 45 to lose. I told my in-laws that and they about fell over. I don't look like I weigh that much but all my FAT is around my heart. The worst possible place for it. Good luck and keep us posted.

IronsInTheFire
03-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone! I figured if it's time for me to face my weight loss struggles, I may as well face the fact that I'm in my 40's right along with it! :D :D

No, truly, after watching my father struggle for a year before passing, I value every single day and see my age as a gift! I am just relieved to find a group of people who are in the same phase of life I am, facing the same challenges. Gone are the days of waking up to run to the gym, or eating whatever rabbit food suits me! My days are filled with kids, work, hobbies, sports, and the like...just like you all, I'm sure!

I'm a single mom, teacher...and...paranormal investigator. I stay busy, which unfortunately lands me in the line at the drive-thru of many fast food joints on a frequent basis. Throw in the fact that my oldest son now has a job at my favorite pizza place and I'm basically screwed! :D So, willpower is what I'm working on, along with the rest!

I look forward to getting to know you all!!

patchworkpenguin
03-14-2012, 11:55 AM
I did 50min of cardio yesterday. Its warmed up around here, Hubby made sure the AC is working; its supposed to be in the 80s all week. My purple iris are blooming already! This is spring break for Bible study but my parents are taking me to Olive Garden for lunch. Cardio/LB planned for later. Now that its spring I'm looking around at the house and yard and planning improvements or just plain spring cleaning.

Jenn, welcome glad to have you join us. I keep telling my Hubby that if he weighs less than I do I don't want to know about it. :dizzy:

Irons, I've noticed the more you exercise your willpower the stronger it gets. Since I cleaned up my eating and started exercise in my late 30s my 40s feel better, and I'm more active now

NEMom
03-14-2012, 05:45 PM
The weather is so nice today I don't want to go to bootcamp tonight. Gonna take some will power to get me there.
My food has been pretty good this week and my weight has stayed within the same 2 lbs. When I have stepped on the scale the last couple of days it said 'Lo', I don't think that means my weight. Guess its time for a new battery or a new scale. Gonna try a battery first don't want to get a new scale. Scared of what it will say.

Hope you all are enjoying some nice spring like weather.

patchworkpenguin
03-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Our electricity was off for several hours tonight. I went to bed early but now I'm up with a headache and can't sleep. Always something. At least the power came back on! :D

I did about 25min of kickboxing, I followed this with 25min of an active stretching DVD which started with a kick series {which I had just ended with on the kicboxing dvd:dizzy:} then we went into lunges, then arms.

traveling michele
03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Just popping in to say "hi".
I'm super busy with work-- I'm a school librarian and this week is our Book Fair so I'm working ridiculous hours.

My normally every day gym habit is suffering too. I made it to the gym last night, but didn't Monday or Tuesday and I won't tonight. Hopefully I can get back to "normal" Friday. I'm logging my food and doing the best I can. My weight is up from where it usually is but that could be due to my slacking in exercise.

Hope everyone is well! I hope to be back to "normal" next week....

cldwv
03-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Work has been crazy so I haven't had a chance to visit for a while. Just wanted to pop in and say hi. Now I have to catch up on all the recent posts!

patchworkpenguin
03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
This is my 3rd day on little sleep; I don't want to sleep too late or take naps because that always seems to make it worse but I'm dragging my tailfeathers today. :(

I started spring cleaning with the kitchen. I bought some new enamel/cast iron pans to replace/add to some of my other pans so I'm trying to rearrange to make room in my tiny kitchen so I don't have to get rid of anything, basically, everything {pots, pans and bakeware} has to fit in one double bottom cabinet and one half cabinet. I'm pulling everything out of the cabinets, cleaning, then trying tp replace everything. I have a lot of stuff stacked plus space saving shelves. I don't like stacking because its harder on the pans even with something padded between and it makes it harder to get to something. while I'm letting the cabinets dry I'm watching old Iron Chef America episodes.

NEMom
03-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Getting closer to the weekend. One more work day. Woot Woot!
Food was off today. Had a college luncheon and ate a burger and some fries. Not so worried about the burger but should have left the fries alone.

PP-Do you want to come spring clean my house for me? I made a long list of To DO's for me and posted it on the frig so I don't forget what needs to be done. Hoping to get one or two of the smaller things done each week when I clean.

Hope you are all having a great day! Hubby got a new grill and was going to grill steak tonight. I need the protein so looking forward to it.

andrew80k
03-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Checking in. I'm doing ok on the eating but have taken a break from the exercise for a few days. I'm tired and my body is tired. I've pretty much held steady this week. I'll be back at it hard come Monday. Everyone have a good weekend.

defenestrator
03-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm running my first real 5k race this Sunday. I'm aiming for an under-40 minutes time. Today doing my normal jog I did 2.4 miles in 40 minutes but I was not working hard and there were a lot of hills, so I think I can do it.

I'm going to let myself go off plan a little this weekend to eat the corned beef I've been making for the past two weeks. Then I'm doing an 11 day fasting/cleansing program. Afterwards, I think I'm going to try to do a month or so of being very strictly on plan and eating fewer calories than I do now to see if I can shake myself out of this little plateau I'm in.

Ran/walked 4 miles today. Felt pretty good. It was super-humid here -- there was a tornado that touched down about 10 miles from my house and that storm dumped a whole lot of water on us last night.

NEMom
03-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Broke down and got a new scale last night. Compared my old and new one, there is only about a pound difference. Of course it is a pound heavier but I was worried it would be more.
Increased the amount of weight I am lifiting and my arms are tired this morning.

Anrew - Glad your listening to your body and taking a rest. I generally do not work out on the weekends, my body is tired and needs a break.

defenestrator- Good luck on your 5k. You will rock it I know!

TGIF!! Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

cldwv
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm running my first real 5k race this Sunday. I'm aiming for an under-40 minutes time. Today doing my normal jog I did 2.4 miles in 40 minutes but I was not working hard and there were a lot of hills, so I think I can do it.Super good luck and positive vibes headed your way!

patchworkpenguin
03-17-2012, 01:58 AM
I slept okay last night but then was tired all day and took a long mid morning nap. I did do 45min cardio. It stormed all morning but then finally cleared up this afternoon. Its supposed to rain tomorrow, clear up Sunday and rain the rest of the week. Welcome to spring!:p

patchworkpenguin
03-18-2012, 01:10 AM
So I went dress shopping this weekend. I don't usually wear dresses but I thought a knit A-line might work. I have several long cotton skirts I wear in summer, and have gotten used to those. After several stores, I found 3 dresses at Walmart size 2X~20 {2 dresses were identical just different colors} and a pair of jammies size L~12/14. They are different brands but that's a BIG jump in sizes. Very weird. I let Hubby pick out his favorite for me to wear to church tomorrow.

No workout other than the shopping. It was supposed to rain but after a brief shower around noon it was sunny and nice. We planned April's park trip tomorrow so it will probably rain then. I'm so optomistic. :p

fiona46
03-18-2012, 06:55 AM
New clothes always make me feel good...better still when they say a size smaller than i was wearing previously !! :)
Wore the jeans i haven't been able to get into since last year when i bought them, today for church. Felt great to be able to do up the zip and not having the huge muffin top hanging over.

defenestrator
03-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Finished my 5k today in 40:26. I had wanted to be under 40 minutes, but I don't think it's bad for my first race.

Sparx
03-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Hi everyone just checking in 1 1/2lbs gone this week :D excellent work on the 5k defenstrator!!! hope you're all doing great :carrot:

andrew80k
03-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Back at it again today. Took a mini-break last week, mostly from exhaustion. I'm rested up some and am back on plan. I didn't really go off my eating plan, just took a break from my exercise. I did eat closer to maintenance and that was on display this morning as I'm only down .4 pounds today. Better than being up .4 though. Run tonight.

Defenestrator Great job on the 5k.

Sparx Congrats on the loss, you're doing fantastic.

TechAlum
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Sorry I disappeared for a while. I'm trying to get back in the habit of checking here each day but last week that just didn't happen. I was pretty happy I lost 2 lbs at WW on Saturday that makes me down 3 lbs for the last 3 weeks since I've recommitted to plan, so I'm pretty happy. I did lose a point in may daily range which didn't make me happy, but I'll make it work. Been doing pretty well on my tracking of food and intake, but my exercise has been so-so. I really need to get that on track for this to work for me. I'm seeing the Dr on Wed I haven't been since last summer when our insurance changed, I need to get back on my BP meds (I went to the GYN a couple weeks ago and it wasn't pretty) I'm hoping that will help with the headaches and swollen ankle so that I don't mind moving as much. Today I'm feeling really foggy I think the early spring is not helping me any.

Andrew - sometimes time off is just what we need, and one high day isn't bad as long as it doesn't become a pattern.

Defenstrator - Yea on the 5K I'm impressed.

Patch - I never understand sizes in clothes, but yea on getting some new ones. Enjoy

Sparx - yea on the loss.

Fiona - Congrats on getting into the jeans and feeling comfortable.

Well gotta go get something constructive done today.

andrew80k
03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Ran my 5k last night. Did it pretty slowly for me, but it had been a week so I took it a little easier. ~1800 calories in and ~3000 out. I was down a pound this morning too, so yay me.

Donna Congrats on the loss. Make sure you take good care of yourself.

NEMom
03-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Just checking in. Had to miss my last bootcamp class last night because my tummy was not good. Have not loss but have been maintaining, scale with in the same 2-3lbs depending on the morning.
Downloaded on the C2K 5 program on my iPhone because I need to try the jogging thing again.

Andrew-Congrats on the 1lb loss, you rock and keep me going.

PP-Shopping can be fun and it can be depressing. I am glad that you had fund and were able to find some things that make you feel good.

Happy Tuesday all!

patchworkpenguin
03-20-2012, 12:58 PM
yesterday, I did all 5 miles + the leg section from Leslie's 5 DWalkPlan, in two different workouts, one 3 miles the other 2. I stuck the legs section between mile 2 and 3 which was a nice break, and usually the point where I'm thinking 'is it over yet?" More fun than the dreadmill anyway.

Question = I'm not very stable when it comes to lunges either front or back but I find I do better at curtsy lunges and they don't aggrevate my knee. Any thoughts on my just subbing curtsy lunges for all lunges?

Cleaning house day. sigh.

andrew80k
03-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Question = I'm not very stable when it comes to lunges either front or back but I find I do better at curtsy lunges and they don't aggravate my knee. Any thoughts on my just subbing curtsy lunges for all lunges?

Patch, don't worry about the details. It is more important that you do something. If the curtsy lunges make it easier for you to continue to do it, then by all means you should do them that way. The biggest thing is just to stay moving. As you get closer to goal, figure out what you want to accomplish with the lunges, then you can adjust according to whatever it is that you want to do with them.

patchworkpenguin
03-20-2012, 03:33 PM
As you get closer to goal, figure out what you want to accomplish with the lunges, then you can adjust according to whatever it is that you want to do with them.

most of my workout DVDs have lunges in some form or another even some of my cardio so this is something I come across multiple times a week. I don't consider lunges/squats cardio:devil:, but I can either follow them or modify. I blame my balance on how much I hate lunges because I spend more time tipping over/catching balance than lunging. I do have a broomstick I hold onto sometimes but in some of the workouts this is impractical.
I have a lot of muscle naturally so this isn't a matter of building more to shape my body this is maintaining what I have already, and I just enjoy weightwork.

patchworkpenguin
03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I cleaned house, but while I was waiting for the floors to dry I did Miles 1&2 from Leslie's 5Adv walk, first miles uses 2lb weights. Then I added on Margaret's Good and Strong Vol1's UB. This workout doesn't last long but I start out with 8's and I'm happy if I'm still holding 2s by the time I get to the end. I subbed flies and bench press for pushups. Then I realized I had to chop a bunch of veggies for dinner. Ha! I can barely move my arms at this point.

We watched the movie Expendables, which actually turned out to be pretty good; had a plot and the language was pretty clean too. It was interesing seeing the 'old' action guys again.

NEMom
03-21-2012, 04:06 PM
PP - You rock those work outs! I am sooo impressed with all the exercise you do.

patchworkpenguin
03-21-2012, 08:30 PM
I did 30min of cardio and 27min of LB exercises.

Weigh-in was this morning and I lost a lb. :dance:

defenestrator
03-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Great job, patchworkpenguin!

I am doing my fast/cleanse thing this week. It isn't easy but it has made me lose a lot of water weight. I don't know what's going to happen when I stop next Friday and go back to my normal eating, but I'm achieving what I set out to do which is to break my plateau.

I'm interested in some recent research that I read that said that a very low calorie diet for two weeks can have a more long-term impact on fasting blood sugar levels. I have struggled with some pre-diabetes/insulin resistance issues because of my PCOS and I wonder if doing this diet will actually help me to be less insulin resistant for awhile. I have been reluctant to go on metformin because I don't like the idea of being on a medication for years, but my high insulin levels have definitely impacted my weight loss.

Feel mostly ok. My running is a bit slower this week. I did break 230 this morning with a weigh-in of 229.7. I will update my ticker and profile weights when I weigh in at the end of next week.

NEMom
03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Just stopping in to say a quick hello. We finally have sun here today after several days of rain and gloom. Yeah!!
PP- Congrats on your 1lb loss! Great job girlie!

defenestrator- I have been at a plateau for quite a while now, maybe I should try the fast/cleanse sometime to see if I can get the scale to move. How long have you been doing it? What plan are you following?

defenestrator
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
If I type out the name of the company, 3 fat chicks will just edit it out again, probably because they are a very pushy multi-level-marketing company and they don't want their reps coming on here and pushing their products. I'm convinced that there isn't anything too special about them. I think this is working because it is a very low calorie and low-glycemic-index diet. I am having similar results to what happened the first time I tried to do phase 1 of the South Beach Diet.

2 days of whey-based protein powder meal replacement shakes that are about 200 calories apiece. 2 shakes a day and one 400 calorie meal.

2 days of a vitamin/mineral/cleanse liquid plus a few very small snacks (like a handful of nuts or an apple) I think you could get this lots of places. I bet somewhere like Vitamin Shoppe or GNC would have such a thing. I've also seen something similar at Trader Joe's, which I think you don't have in Nebraska

5 more days of the shake/one meal combo

then 2 days of the cleanse liquid again.

It is really hard to go without much food on the cleansing days, but do-able. You wouldn't want to plan a heavy workout for those days, for sure.

The reason why I'm using this product is that there is a whole group of people at the gym who are doing it all at the same time and it is really nice to have other people to commiserate with. It is also really structured-- I know exactly what I'm supposed to be eating/drinking at each stage of the day.

Good luck!

patchworkpenguin
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
It rained yesterday and I made the mistake of going outside and breathing:dizzy:. I went to Bible study, then came home, a few hours later I was snuffling, coughing and just felt miserable. I happened to watch a segment on Dr Oz about allergies and what they discribed I'm allergic to wet mold that comes out after a rain. Interesting but not very helpful, LOL. At any rate I'm feeling tired, snuffly, and will just curl up on the couch today. Ah-choo!

cldwv
03-23-2012, 12:59 PM
Happy Friday everybody! It's been a crazy weeks so I've been mostly MIA. Still sticking with my low carb plan although I think I'm going to allow myself a small cheat this weekend. Not totally sure yet.

You all sound like you're making forward progress and that spirits are high. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

andrew80k
03-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Checking in. I started a new job on Wednesday and my time has not been my own. Days have been crazy, early mornings, late evenings. I'm still eating OP, but probably a little high. Been hitting the local lunch joints with my new coworkers and while I've been making good choices, it's difficult for me to estimate my calories from those still. I don't have a good feel for what and how much they put in some of those things. I'm maintaining this week it seems and my workouts have gone to **** the last 2 days. I will be doing my best to get on the Dreadmill tonight. DW is camping with Girl Scouts this weekend, but has lost something like 12 pounds since she started.

Have a great and OP weekend. :)

patchworkpenguin
03-24-2012, 10:47 PM
Still snuffly but I'm feeling better.

Sparx
03-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Hi 40 somethings, just checking in for the week, 3lbs gone this week :D we are having beautiful weather at the moment which is helping keep me motivated, hope you're all doing great :carrot:

cldwv
03-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Just weighed in and down another pound. Seems to be slow going for me lately but a loss is s a loss and I'm sticking with it. A loss of 21 pounds for me is very significant. Hope you are all feeling well and have a fantastic Monday!

NEMom
03-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Wishing I had an extra weekend day, was not ready to come back to work today. The good thing is that I was busy so my food was not too bad. The bad is the weather was beautiful here this weekend and I had to spend all of Sat. cleaning house because I have neglected it the last couple of weeks and knew it was catch up time. Yesterday, did not do much except enjoy the nice weather.
Sparx and Cldwv- Congrats on your weight loss! Great Job!

P&P-Hope your feeling better!

Have a happy Monday all!

patchworkpenguin
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm feeling much better, but still snuffly. I was at church yesterday climbing a flight of stairs and I practically had to stop and wheeze for a while before I reached the top! I did hear a lot of other sniffs and coughs during the service so at least I'm not the only one. Hubby's doing better than I am so at least we're not both sick at the same time again.

Might do some weights today. :D

I got the cinnamon bread and laundry started at least.

andrew80k
03-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Hey everyone. Still OP. Down another pound and a half this week. I can't believe it myself. I'm wearing a pair of pants I couldn't get in last summer. :) Getting ready to hit the 'Mill. Not sure what my calories were today so far, but not bad. Still losing so that counts for something. Good to see all of you still hanging out with us.

NEMom
03-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Wow Andrew! Congrats on your loss and getting into those pants. Your rockin it!

I am a person of routine, especially when it comes to my work outs. Since my bootcamps are over and I would rather walk on my lunch when the weather is nice, I decided to work in my DVD's that target the thighs into a couple mornings. So I did my weights first, instead of my elliptical and then started the DVD. Man, I was dying and could only finish 20 min instead of the full 30. Really felt like I got a good work out this morning.
On the downside, I can seem the muscles in my arms but the lose skin, ugh, I know aside from surgery, which I cannot afford there is nothing I can do, but the bat wings can really depress me.
Gonna be another nice day today and I am leaving this afternoon to watch my son at his track meet. Have a good one!

ksails
03-27-2012, 11:23 AM
joining in! Im working towards the last pound i have to go until ive reached 70 pounds lost.. hoping i will hit it this week, but im not sure tummy hurts today so no gym trip.. but when i feel better i will have to go both saturday and sunday to assuage my guilt lol oh well! you just do what ya gotta do!
Glad to see everyone, i hope to have a picture up soon and a tracking bar thingy.

defenestrator
03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
ksails -- Fantastic! That's a great milestone to hit. You have a lot to be proud of.

NEMom
03-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Went to my son's track meet yesterday. He did not do well but it was so nice to be out of the office and outside in the wonderful weather and as nice as that was, what was even better was seeing how much my son appreciated me showing up. Chris and a teammate were very nervous before throwing and I was giving the mom pep talk. He turned to his friend and said "This is why it's so nice to have a mom here" AND he did not totally ignore me, my almost 16 year old boy, who most days I have to pull teeth to get three words out of actually sat down and talked to me. I mean, we had a real conservation. One of the best afternoons I have had in a long time.

Legs are sore from doing my DVD yesterday but still go my work out in this morning. My mom was commenting on the muscles that I have built in my calves, she was trying to tell me that I was going to look too muscular. Yeah right. I just laughed it off and said at 42, if I could look muscular, that would be too cool!!

I weigh daily and my number actually started with a 154 this morning. The lowest I have EVER seen. I know it will take more than one reading of that to relay on it but it sure made me feel good to see that.

Happy Humb day all!!!

ksails
03-28-2012, 10:35 AM
I love thoes low numbers! once the scale says that i take it, and just know that ya know it will take a few days to really get there lol My son threw last year in track.. he didnt do real well, but it was fun sitting outside when it isnt sweltering hot like during football season. lol

MumaSue
03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Hey everyone
New to the site but not to loosing weight.
I'm Sue, 43 and thought I would pop in to say hi.
Hit a road block @ 50lbs lost and I've recently lost my husband to pancreatic cancer so I feel real low.
Needing a boost of energy and enthusiasm because I am certainly worth it LOL

traveling michele
03-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Welcome Sue. I don't post in this forum all that often but I wanted to say and offer support. This is a great site for weight loss (obviously), but I have truly "met" some wonderful and caring people over the years.

I am tremendously sorry for your recent loss. I have been helping a friend deal with her husband's sudden death at age 36 and I have seen how overwhelming the loss can be.

You are most certainly worth it! Are you following a specific weight loss plan? Congrats on your loss so far!!

ksails
03-28-2012, 11:45 AM
hey Sue im new also.. Im so sorry for your loss..
If you need inspiration this is a good place to be!

kandyrews
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
I haven't been here in a little while. Things haven't been that great lately. I've been struggling. I haven't been on my treadmill last week because of a bad cold and now this week I've had a migraine. It's aways something lately. To make matters worse, I went to the doctor yesterday and they told me my triglycerides was quote "really, really bad. It was so high...like 530ish. And here I thought I was eating decent, but guess I was wrong. So anyway, apparently I've got to eat even better than I had been and I need to get back to exercising because obviously my life depends on it. They said I was high risk for heart disease. Today is actually the first day I feel fairly "normal". I still have a cough from the cold, but my migraine is finally gone. As far as my weight loss goes, when I went to the doctor I had lost 1 pound, but that's over a period of like for March. I think I'm going to start easing back into exercising again by taking my dog for a walk this evening. I still feel a bit "worn out" from being sick with a cold and migraine the past two weeks. I hope everyone here is doing great and that your exercise journey is where you want it to be. As for me, I fell off the wagon, but going to try to climb back on. Trying to be healthly sure is tough.

andrew80k
03-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Hey everyone. Checking in. I've been hitting it hard this week. 5k run on Monday, Upper body on Tuesday, Lower body last night, upper body tonight, and run again tomorrow night. Lower body to finish up the week on Saturday. I've been doing a bunch of research and decided to shake my exercise up a bit and switch one of my runs for a lift during the week. We'll see how that goes. I'm sore today, not bad, but still some. Eating has been good and now I don't have to keep strict track of it since I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm eating and I'm making good choices.

NEMom The convo with your son sounds great. You are also doing a fantastic job. Keep at it.

Kandy Hate that you are struggling. It's hard to believe that your TGL's are that high considering what you are eating.

ksails Welcome. You are doing remarkable. Keep us posted.

Sue I'm so sorry for your loss, this can't be an easy time for you. Hang in there.

NEMom
03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
I was surprised that the number on my scale still started with a 154 especially since I ate some homemade pizza for dinner last night.
For my morning exercise I did my weights and then DVD again. Honestly, I was only able to do about 10minutes of the DVD work out. My legs are sore from Tuesday and it just was not a great work out like earlier this week. Kind of disappointed in myself for not pushing harder. I probably will not even get a walk in at lunch today because it is suppose to storm.

Andrew-Great job with the exercise!

Kandy- I have been worried about you. I am glad that you checked in but so sorry to hear about your cold, migraines and other health issues. Keep doing the best you can. That is all any of us can do. Sending you hugs and hope you feel better soon!

Sue- Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your 50lb loss. I am sorry for you loss and wanted you to know that you will find an amazing amount of support here. You are worth it and YOU CAN DO IT!!!

traveling michele
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Hugs Kandy. That is very high. Did the doctor put you on medication? Hang in there and I hope you feel better.

When I first started my weight loss journey my cholesterol (and my dh's) were both over 200 (but not by a lot). Now that we have both lost weight and changed our exercise and food drastically, our cholesterol is usually around 150. I know genetics play a large role for some people, but in our case, the lifestyle changes made a huge difference.

kandyrews
03-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone! Yes, unfortunately the doctor has put me on medication. Another to add to my list. I already take medicine for my blood pressure. With everything that's happened lately I fell off the wagon, but I gotta get back on. So then yesterday, my treadmill belt came off center while I was on it, so now gotta wait for hubby to fix it. He takes forever. But meantime, I did take the dog for a walk in the park. I guess the eating healthy is the hardest part for me, I thought I was doing okay, not great, but okay and boy was I wrong, so I feel defeated with the eating. I'm not giving up though.

ksails
03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the welcome! Andrew80k i will keep you posted! lol
Kandy- i hope you are feeling better to!
defenstrator thanks! i am proud.. i cant wait to see what i will look like when i weigh 199!! i do have a face under my pudgy cheeks LOL

cldwv
03-29-2012, 05:20 PM
I haven't been here in a little while. Things haven't been that great lately. I've been struggling. I haven't been on my treadmill last week because of a bad cold and now this week I've had a migraine. It's aways something lately.Hope you're feeling better now. A cold is bad enough but add a migraine in the mix and wow, that'll knock you out.

kandyrews
03-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks ksails and cldwv It's taken a while, but I'm feeling better. I should be 100% by Monday and hubby finally fixed it, so plan to get back on that treadmill Monday.

NEMom
03-30-2012, 02:00 PM
TGIF!! Wonderful weather today here and I am leaving work a little early to go Goodwill shopping with my mom. It's 99 cent days this weekend and my favorite time to shop.
I went through and switched around my winter and summer cloths so I know what I need to look for and it was such a good feeling. I was about halfway through my weight loss last summer so just about all the tops, shorts and crop pans were too big and I get to give them back to the goodwill!
Hoping you a have a wonderful weekend!!!

defenestrator
03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
I ended up stopping my fast/cleanse because I didn't like what it was doing to my energy level. Looks like I lost about 4 lbs or so that I can expect to stay off -- was more but as soon as I started eating regularly again some of the water weight came back.

I'm trying something new -- to see if I can maintain a consistent 1000 calorie deficit. Basically, try to keep my calories between 1200 and 1400 and then exercise enough to burn 2400 or so. So far today I've eaten 660 and exercised about 600 calories worth. So I think I can do this.

I've lost about 45 lbs by going really slowly and trying to restrict junk food and sweets but otherwise eating normally. But I think that I want to up the pace with my weight loss for the next 50 lbs to at least 1-2 lb per week. It has been closer to .5lb.

One thing that I've noticed is that I'm not as resilient as I was when I was younger. When I was in my 20's I could withstand a week or so of either crash dieting or pounding the exercise and now either thing totally wipes me out. So I have to go much slower.

Finny321
03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Hi All! I am new to the board, though not new to the battle to lose weight. I would love to join in your thread. I'm 42, almost 43. I'm married, and have three kids. I am a very recently certified CNA, and a hopeful LPN student for the fall session. I look forward to joining in and getting to know everyone.

I lost on low-carb about 12 years ago, and maintained for two plus years; but I got very sick with mono that caused issues with my immune system, and I stopped exercising. After a while I went off the low carb diet as it wasn't sustainable for me. Weight crept back.

Since the one success, I've tried vegetarian/vegan diets, attempted weight watchers, tried watching what I ate and using the various calorie counting sites; but I failed to lose weight unless I went below 1200 calories. This time, I am going the meal replacement plan (Wonderslim), taking all the work and counting out until I lose the majority of the weight. I was also diagnosed with hypothyroidism this week and my doctor thinks that is part of the issue.

I do exercise. I walk the dog 2-5 miles daily, love yoga, and sometimes I jog, though I'm not jogging right now due to my weight. It is too hard on my joints at this weight.

I did lose 7lbs the first week on Wonderslim. It is easy for me to follow and I don't mind the food. I know I will need to address eating real foods as I get closer to maintenance, but I will worry about that when I get closer.

ksails
03-31-2012, 11:33 AM
defenestrator Sounds like you know your body! Im still treating mine like a chemistry set LOL

hey Finny Welcome!!

patchworkpenguin
03-31-2012, 01:38 PM
I'm alive. Just tired and sneezing/snuffly. and tired of being sneezy/snuffly :dizzy:

Finny, welcome, glad to have you join us.

NE, I'm about halfway though the clothes changeover. I'm moving slowly, lol. I'm finding that things that didn't fit last year, fit or almost fit this year. I usually leave a few 'almost fit' things out for motivation, but then never touch them. :o I'm hoping that will be different this year.

defenestrator
03-31-2012, 03:24 PM
Unfortunate NSV -- none of my shorts fit!

Periwinkle8
04-01-2012, 01:11 AM
I'm new, too. Posted a despairing post on the main 40-something board but am feeling a bit better now that I have 3 days OP under my belt. I am very encouraged by all of you and your tales of 5-Ks, Leslie workouts and shrinking sizes. Hope to join in and bask in your positive vibes and momentum.

Question: just about everyone I know runs. My husband is a marathon runner, as are two of my best friends. Another friend does triathlons, and several run just for fun. When we go on vacation they al bring their running shoes and go together and I'm the one who stays back. I've tried running several times and even have done some 5 ks back when I was reasonably in shape, but I HATE it. The bouncing and pounding--not great for someone of my ahem curvaceous ness--and also I get bored, even with headphones. But it feels like such a "fit person" thing to do, and I like the idea of being able to measure my progress, sign up for races to give me incentive, and join my friends someday in their workouts. In the meantime, I'm hoping to use the elliptical in our basement--in front of the TV and no bouncing--easy peasy! So, do you think it's worth it to try a couch to 5 k program and see if it sticks this time, or should I stick with exercise I like (well, that may be going too far--don't hate)?

Peri

defenestrator
04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Peri-- if I were you I would definitely start on the elliptical. The main reason why I run is that I have a crazy dog who will eat my house of he doesn't get at least a five mile walk per day. You can keep a journal of your progress on the elliptical too. Maybe try running once a week. I think that running as your main form of exercise now might backfire because you'll feel frustrated with not being able to keep up.