Support Groups - Mixed feelings on noticable? weight loss.

Dejavugirl
02-28-2012, 11:46 PM
First off... I haven't even noticed any weight loss. I'm only down like 9 lbs.

I took my daughter to dance class tonight and one of the other mom's whom I haven't seen in a few weeks says... "OMG You've lost a TON of weight!"

Uhhh, ok. Thanks.

I haven't even mentioned to anyone that I've embarked on this journey. So it's not like I had been talking about eating better and working out.

I was polite of course, and honest. It wasn't THAT much weight loss. Maybe I've lost some more weight in my face? I don't know.

On one hand, I'm like...nice. My efforts are getting noticed. And on the other hand, I'm thinking... Wow, I'm so fat, that this relative aquaintance has noticed a minor change.

bsbgirl86
02-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I get what you're saying, but keep a few things in mind..

One, a lot of people (myself included) lose weight quickly in their faces, which really stands out to people

Two, 9lbs is a LOT! The general idea is 10lbs is a dress size

I can see where you're coming from, but enjoy that people are noticing and commenting! That's the best feeling :carrot: It's not all that minor. 10lbs won't be as noticable on someone who's much larger.. so keep that in mind ;)

SensualSiren
02-29-2012, 12:37 AM
I know what you mean. It's hard to enjoy the compliment because your head keeps coming up with doubtful selftalk. I was thinking that maybe you're standing a little taller as well as sporting thinner cheeks. I know that when I work out regularly I tighten up my posture. You are doing so great with your nine pounds! I hope that I can reach that soon. :-)

sheramama
02-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Congrats on those 9lbs...it's a fantastic start. I had mixed feelings (and sometimes I still do) when people compliment me. It is nice that someone notices, especially when you don't as much since you see yourself all the time. On the other hand, I have gotten, "Oh, I'm so glad you lost so much weight, bc you looked horrible before." That from my own mother. Let it boost your confidence.

kmac1196
02-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Yes, I'd go with it. Generally, people mean to be supportive and encouraging. I'm sure she admires your efforts and wanted to give you a boost! That would motivate me.