Alternachicks - The Happy and Grateful Thread #2

View Full Version : The Happy and Grateful Thread #2

ellis
12-10-2002, 08:24 AM
I'm just going to cut and paste my first post so that I remember what I'm grateful for...
Excuse me indulging myself...

Well, I'm bored. Let's have a thread so that we can share with each other what makes us happy.

I complain too much. I think most of us do. It's very habit-forming. I think we often forget the little things in life that are good. Life is good. It's damned good.
I'll start. Feel free to jump in. Or not.

What Makes Ellis Happy and Grateful

-----------------------------------------------
- reading
- getting up early before everyone else and having a quiet coffee time
- sleeping with my lovely children. They look and smell divine when they're sleeping
- cooking dinner and having it turn out right
- running for 15 minutes on the treadmill
- kissing my sweet six year old's soft little lips
- getting up in the morning and finding that someone else has filled the water jug
- when my DH takes the kids to swim at the gym so that I can have some quiet time
- the smell of a new bag of fresh, black, oily coffee beans
- my feet. I like looking at my feet. They hurt most of the time, but I like how they look
- my wonderful fat forum friends
- a foot massage from my DH
- the way the sun shines through the blue glass in my kitchen window first thing in the morning
- my coffee table.... a trunk on wheels. I love it... it goes where I want it to go (usually under my feet)
- a photo of my thirteen year-old with stars in her eyes
- my mom's warm jam tarts
- coming home and finding that no one has left a damned message on my answering machine
- thunderstorms
- eating dinner on the verandah in the summer with my DH
- and then having a "summer" beer on the verandah with my DH
- having wonderful conversation with my DH on the verandah
- a spontaneous hug from my undemonstrative dad
- my bedroom makes me very happy. It's up in the attic, and in the summer it's like being in a treehouse
- my sister... the apple of my eye. I love her so much I could cry just thinking about her

- okay.... I'll add more as I think of them... there's no need to complain when I've got so much GOOD in my life!

hugs everyone...

"Most folks are about as happy as they
make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

ellis
02-17-2003, 08:44 PM
I just came across this...
I get email updates from The Good News Network, and this was in the last one...
It's a free phone service for Israelis and Palestinians... they can talk to one another about peace! Isn't that cool!?
http://www.hellopeace.net/

ellis
02-20-2003, 06:25 PM
Maybe this seems a little obscure, but I'm very happy that Jesica Santillan is recovering from what I pray was a successful surgery.

When I read stories like that, life comes back into focus for me. It's not us; the majority, who are playing games of war or making fantastic wealth for ourselves. It's us... the little people... the majority, who know the true value of life. We're running around protesting for the sake of our health and our freedom and our planet. We're running around looking for organs so that a little girl can live. We're doing all the goll-darned work with few resources while the fat cats sit on their butts and PLAY GOD WITH US!! It's just a freakin' game! I've had it! :mad:

End of rant. :rolleyes:

dentrassi
02-21-2003, 12:41 AM
Eloquently said Ellis.

flower
02-21-2003, 12:35 PM
Happy and Greatful...
...my new house. I really love it. More so than when I made the offer for it. It has so many good features.
...my son is recovering from pnomonia.
...i think i won't have to pay for that hospital bill.
...my boyfriend has a real job that he likes and they like him. (why? I have no idea, it is a hard job that doesn't pay a whole heck of a lot. But it pays the bills and keeps him feeling good about himself. )
...the internet!
...my paid off credit cards!
...the sun rise and sunset. I have a 2 story house and I have a perfect view every morning and every night!
...a bathtub. I love bubble baths!
...a good family that cares about me
...my intellegence. I am amazed at how many people lack education. Even the simplest things, they do not know how to figure the answer out.
...my children. :) Even when they are messy monsters!

ellis
03-03-2003, 11:49 PM
I am SO happy and grateful this evening! DD and I started Yoga tonight. I was tense for the entire hour and a half session thinking, "What if she hates it? What if she's bored and she's just being polite to Mommy? What if she feels like a geek?"
When we finished, she was BEAMING!! She said, "Wow Mom, I feel fantastic! I'm so relaxed! And I imagined myself in a garden eating peaches from a tree, and the juices were running down my face, and the breeze was blowing my hair.... " etc. Man, she had this TOTAL experience while Mommy was tensed up with expectations of failure!
Woof! Life is good! :dance:
She can't wait to go back next week. I'm in heaven. :D

dentrassi
03-04-2003, 01:01 AM
Ellis-I am SO glad for both of you!! It will be nice for you to have that to share!:high: :)

blackbird
03-04-2003, 09:01 AM
I am grateful I have choice...I may not always make the right choice, but at least I didn't sit on the fence.
I am grateful I live in America instead of Iraq.
I am grateful that in this lifetime I am a woman (who doesn't live in Iraq).
I am grateful there is a place for me on the www that I can go to be a nut and people accept me for that :)
I am grateful for a whole lot of things
I am grateful I'm allowing myself the time to look at them.
blessings,
blackbird

ellis
03-04-2003, 09:07 AM
Thank you, Den. :D

wsw
03-09-2003, 09:34 PM
grateful for:
-wonderful friends
-to be alive
-a good sense of humor.
some things which make me happy:
-reading
-spending time with good friends
-music
-art.

flower
03-09-2003, 09:54 PM
I am greatful that while waiting for my modivation to appear, I have not ruined my health so much that I can't get serious about loosing and getting fit!!! I am greatful that Spring is ready to appear. I am enjoying the buds on the trees, and the daffodils, the birds, bees, (well not the bees or the wasps). I am thankful for other diet journals to read. I am thankful for online friends!!!!!

ellis
08-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Had to dig for this one, too.

I'm happy that I've lost 15 pounds. Because it's really hot and sticky right now, and I'm wearing a REALLY ugly dress to keep cool. I look disgusting in it, but when I look in the mirror, I remember that I looked even MORE disgusting 15+ pounds ago!
:dance:

And I'm grateful for having such a good Dad. I didn't always think he was so great, but I've grown up, and I appreciate him for what he is. I know where he's coming from, he's doing the best he can, and it's okay. :)

mauvaisroux
08-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Well I may have been cursing my boss' name today and feeling really frustrated about my job but I am grateful that I at least have a job and I am able to keep the roof over my head and food on the table :)

Thanks for bumping this thread back up Ellis!

ellis
08-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Ah yes... it's the little basics in life that we must be grateful for. Food and shelter. ;)
Hang in there, Mauvais.

ps... I put a curse on your boss... should start working any day now...

mauvaisroux
08-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Thanks Ellis...you do that voodoo that you do so well! :lol:

aphil
08-09-2003, 01:38 PM
Things I am happy and grateful for:

-My wonderful husband...I was a dreamer as a child-always wanting to be Cinderella, or a character out of a movie and twirl around in some fancy get-up from another time period of world. My husband was not only cut of the same cloth...but he supports my costuming as a profession and we have found that it is something that we totally enjoy together. He always makes me laugh at his constant antics...and spoils me rotten. I can have anything I want as long as our bills are paid.

-My lovely children...my daughter is so intelligent and so wise for only being 4 years old. She has the beautiful Native American looks of my husband, but she is truly mine-with my anal pickiness, always having to have the last word, and ferocious temper. My son is my little angel, my "cuddly" one. He lets me hold him and stroke his hair and face for hours on end...his hair and skin smell so good...I am truly blessed to have them.

-The fact that I look amazingly like my paternal grandmother,and each year it becomes more apparent. She passed away three years ago, and my father (a mommy's boy) was heartbroken. Now whenever I am around my father or grandfather, I can feel them staring at me and I think it gives them comfort to see something of her still here. (The resemblance is so much, that my daughter at 2 years old saw an old photograph of my grandmother in her 20's and said "Mommy.") We resemble each other not only in looks, but in personality and skill...my grandmother was a crafty sort of woman, and did everything from flower arrangements, ceramics, chrocheting, hand quilting...you name it. I am an artist and a costume designer, and learned many of her quilting and crocheting skills as a small child from her.

-Diet Coke, Diet Big Red Soda, and Diet Sierra Mist, and Diet Sunkist. I remember as a child my mother having to drink Tab as her only calorie free soda choice. Ick.

-Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine...I try to eat more unprocessed foods and make them myself, like fresh fruit smoothies and grilled chicken breasts...but when pms time comes around and I crave comfort homey foods like macaroni and cheese or lasagna...I can have the taste and satisfy those cravings for only around 300 calories. Silly, but hey-they are my saving grace at times like that.

-My wonderful friends here at 3FC and at the costuming and props forum at TheForce.net...you all let me be "me" and still talk to me afterwards. :lol:

-My new car...I just love it.

-Applebee's...it is our "date" place. DH can have a big steak and mozzerella sticks, and at least in our area restaurants, they have their low fat/low cal menu...He is happy, and I am happy.

-Bellydancing...This has been a true freeing experience for me this past year...I have met some wonderful women and made great new friends, and at the same time I am doing something wonderful for my body.

Aphil

lizziness
08-10-2003, 03:51 AM
I am grateful that I can come here and feel like for once i have a friend or two and can listen to other people who go through the same things as me and get motivation from them.
I am also grateful to be able to read what others are thankful for because I have a very hard time seeing positive in anything and reading what other people see in life gives me ideas of what to look for to be happy about.

ellis
08-10-2003, 07:37 AM
Aphil, your happy and gratefuls are beautiful. :) Thank you for sharing them with us.

Lizzi, we love you, too. Try to come here regularly. It can become habit forming. The more you look for good, the more you will find.
love and hugs... :grouphug:

mauvaisroux
08-10-2003, 05:24 PM
I am thankful that we have this thread going. I have had a really hard day emotionally and spiritually today and I have been depressed all day, actually I have been feeling depressed for the last couple of weeks, but reading this thread and having all of you to talk to has helped me shake some of these bad feelings a bit. :)

Lidian
08-10-2003, 10:26 PM
I am happy and grateful for all of you, who are such wonderful friends...and that I can come here any time and feel part of a group (which is nice for this shy introvert!). And for my DH who knows me better than anyone and still loves me! and that we have been together for almost half a lifetime...and for my two wonderful girls & how lucky I am to be their mother. And for the intellectual work I do that keeps me from turning into a complete jello-brain at the end of some days --

What's up Mauvais? (I mean that in a non-intrusive way, if you know what I mean) I am so sorry you are feeling down (I have been too, the last few weeks or so, it comes and goes for me) - we are all here for you. I find it hard to open up about this stuff myself, but I am glad you are all here in case I do!:) A hug to you all!

Lidian

lizziness
08-11-2003, 12:11 AM
i would also like to add that i am grateful that i do not have children. i am seeing a lot of people have so much trouble and i am very glad that hubby and i are waiting, and may be forgoing having any. i know i wouldn't have the heart or the stamina.
I am also grateful that I am aware of this feature in myself.

mauvaisroux
08-12-2003, 08:58 AM
I am happy and grateful for my wonderful DH who is always supportive of me. On Sunday when I was having my meltdown he gave me a big hug and told me he was so proud of me for all my accomplishments I have had in the past 5 years -then he listed them all- he helped me put a new perspective on things and made me feel much better about myself :D He is definetely a keeper!

dentrassi
08-12-2003, 11:39 AM
YAY MAUVAIS!!! I'm glad you have a supportive and wonderful husband, especially since YOU are such a supportive and wonderful person!!!

squeaker
08-12-2003, 11:49 AM
Mauvais - you have a wonderful DH. That is great! And Den is right about you too. ;)

mauvaisroux
08-12-2003, 12:01 PM
:o Thanks Den and Sqeaker! You two just made my day! :D

Ruthxxx
08-12-2003, 04:07 PM
Aw, Mauvais. You need a big hug - and Dim Sum. We'll have to do that when I get back.

I am happy and grateful that I have the health and the bucks to be able to travel.

KristasMom
08-12-2003, 04:42 PM
Hello -- I just couldn't resist posting on this thread, because I love the posts I saw here.

I am grateful for:
My husband -- who was not unhappy when I was laid off, because now I can finally take care of myself.
My daughter -- because this is the first time in her life since she was a baby that I have had time to work on being close to her
My yoga and water aerobics teachers, who are so incredibly warm and supportive
Our new hammock -- it's been beautifully cool here in Michigan this summer, and lying in this under the pine trees with the dog on a long leash next to me and the squirrels up the tree chattering at the dog. My daughter even tied a rope to the tree, and a can pull the rope to rock the hammock
My sweet tooth is grateful for Brach's cinnamon imperials, which I love, and which are only 1 calorie per piece, so I can have a small handful for my mid-afternoon snack without breaking the bank!

Lidian
08-12-2003, 09:41 PM
What are cinnamon imperials? At one calorie each, they must be good! Are they like the cinnamon hearts you see a lot (up here in Canada anyway) around Valentine's Day?

And welcome, by the way!

Lidian

ellis
08-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Welcome, Kristasmom! :wave:

Just got back from Montreal, and I am VERY grateful to have had such a fun/safe trip. And now I'm very grateful to be home, because I'm wiped.
Love and hugs to ALL of you... I'll catch up on the threads tomorrow...
In the meantime, Den you NEED that vacation... go!! And everything will work out for you, sweetie. :grouphug:
Mauvais, you DO have a wonderful DH. :yes: And you deserve it. :grouphug:

Hi Squeak, Lidian, Ruthie, Lizzie, Aphil...

KristasMom
08-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Yup, they are little and tasty, just like the hearts that you can put on cupcakes. Just, this brand has no specific shape.
_________
Sue

Wildfire
08-13-2003, 03:37 AM
Welcome home, ellis! :wave:

ellis
08-13-2003, 07:46 AM
Lord love a duck... I didn't say "hi" to Wildfire. :eek:
Thanks, hon. :grouphug:

mauvaisroux
08-13-2003, 08:35 AM
Welcome back Ellis -hope you had fun in Montreal! :D

squeaker
08-13-2003, 09:02 AM
Welcome back Ellis. And I am glad you had a good trip. :)

Wildfire
08-13-2003, 10:04 AM
:lol: Sure you did, ellis, I was inbetween the first and second dot - right there - ... ;)

aphil
08-13-2003, 10:25 AM
Welcome back Ellis!

dentrassi
08-13-2003, 11:17 AM
WELCOME BACK!!!!!! Hope everything is calm today!!!!!

Lidian
08-13-2003, 11:59 AM
Welcome back Ellis! Hope you had a GREAT time in Montreal!

Lidian

ellis
08-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Thank you, girls!! :grouphug:

squeaker
08-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Quick post on my way out the door.

I am very grateful for my friends (which includes the Alternachicks). I know some amazing people, who I love dearly, and who love me too.

After a few conversations with some of them, and a card I got today that almost made me cry, I am reminded how lucky I am.

Be back later to post more. :)

mauvaisroux
08-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Oh geez Squeak- you are making us blush :o

Glad you are feeling more up- I'm sure things will work out for you job wise! :)

I am happy and grateful that my mum is going to be okay and that I am getting help in dealing with my stress. I am feeling than I did when I had my meltdown on Monday.

ellis
08-24-2003, 08:34 AM
Happy and grateful to God and to all of my wonderful friends for their support re: my Dad.

Happy and grateful that I got this new damned computer up and running without TOO much trouble.

Grateful for this BEAUTIFUL cool weather.

Grateful for my drugs. I'm pretty sure they help get me through stupid things like: renting videos last night and paying 43 bucks for them with the combined late charge from the last ones. Reminded myself that it would cost the same to take the family to the theatre to see ONE movie, and we'd just rented about a dozen. :D Always look for the good in things. If you dig deep enough, it's there.

dentrassi
08-24-2003, 10:42 AM
Too tired and grumpy to feel grateful right now, but I love you all anyway!!!

ellis
08-25-2003, 08:01 AM
We love you too, Den. Cheer up, sweetie. (sweaty?) Speaking of sweaty, I have a story for you. :D

Do you want ME to list things for you to be grateful for? heh heh.

dentrassi
08-25-2003, 10:54 AM
More sweaty than sweetie!!! OKAY, where is the story?!? I WANT the STORY!!! WAAAHHH!!!!

Things to be grateful for: BUTTER TARTS!! (oops.....) HUBBY, KIDS, PARENTS (and all in relatively good health), Dh's new job.....