Atkins - On Atkins but still restricting calories

reachingthatgoal
02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Hello all! I've done Atkins successfully several times in the past, but this time around, I'm finding that I need to really restrict my calories as well in order to see results. Don't get me wrong -- I'm happy to do it if it's going to get me to my goal, but I'm finding that if I eat dinner (anything beyond 1 or 2 bites of food), I don't lose. So, I'm pretty much sticking to a moderate breakfast and lunch, and making sure I don't eat any solid food after 3pm. I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. Would love to hear comments!:D

kaplods
02-26-2012, 01:13 PM
What is your daily calorie total? If it's under 1200 calories, you might want to consider seeing your doctor for a check-up just to rule out metabolic issues like insulin resistance, diabetes, thryoid problems...

reachingthatgoal
02-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Definitely WELL under 1200 calories. More like 900-1000. But I have been to the Dr. recently for a check-up and no issues.. healthy thyroid, normal blood sugar, and all the rest.

I'm very active too -- I tend to walk about 3 miles per day. Hm. Guess I must just have crappy metabolism. :(

Thanks for your reply!

Milaandra
03-13-2012, 04:29 AM
That's scary! I'm no doctor, but it sounds as if your body is in starvation mode.

I assume, since you've done it several times in the past, that you eat plenty of fat and are basing weight loss on ketosis rather than the scale?

If you do it textbook, without moderation, do you show ketosis at all??

JerseyGyrl
03-13-2012, 05:59 AM
I'm curious what a typical day's menu looks like.

StephanieM
03-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm with JerseyGirl, what does a typical days menu look like to you?

If you are doing Atkins correctly you should be losing, you shouldn't have to eat so few calories to lose. I find I have to watch my calories as well but I never let it go below 1200 and I still lose.

Perhaps you aren't getting enough fat? Hidden carbs? Can you tell us what you were eating that you weren't losing on?

globetrotter74
03-14-2012, 08:47 AM
I started today writing down the calories and carbs in my foods just to get a daily intake of calories. Calories burned minus calories eaten is definitely a good way of keeping up with your calorie deflicit. I did this the last time I was doing atkins and it helped me a lot. The good thing with atkins is that you can eat a lot of cheeses and but often we forget that a lot of cheeses have a lot of calories so I'm going to pay more attention to my calories as well. I think this was the key that was missing for me keeping track of my calories as well as carbs.. This works for me but what may work for me may not for others :D

sucralose
03-17-2012, 10:05 AM
yeah i wonder what a day's menu looks like too. but actually eating too low of calories can make your body slow its weight loss. your body is smart and if you yo yo diet it catches on quickly when you go back to your old tricks. do you do any exercise? a lot of people don't realize just how much water they can retain from exercise (which is okay and natural and healthy!). sometimes sugar alcohols can stop or slow progress? if it's none of these things you could always look on the bright side and think "slow and steady wins the race." i personally have a bodybugg device so that i know i am taking in adequate calories to balance what i'm burning.

globetrotter74
03-20-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm curious too as what a daily menu looks like? I was eating way too much cheese and cheese has a lot of calories and I didn't realize I was eating so many calories so I've went back to writing them down but daily I don't eat no more that 1500 calories per day.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-blue2/cartooncat01/lb/154.8/122/144/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)