Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/174/125

Height: 5'5"

Red face "I HAVE to eat this!"

As far as i can remember Ive done this.
I come around a certain type of food that i love, whether it be at party's/restaurant or special occasion, i think to myself...."I HAVE to eat this!" Most of the time I'm not even hungry, i just think i will never have that piece of cake till God knows when. Yes i know that is certainly not true but its the anxiety i get. People offer me food or i see it unexpectedly at work or at home and that anxiety rushes to me that i wont know when it will be available to me again so might as well eat it now!

Now a days I have gotten a lot better at stopping myself and realizing that i can go out and buy/make whatever it is whenever and it has paid off because all those extra calories i know where part of the culprit for my over weight-ness. Just last night alone my coworker offered me a donut and i was about to say yes, then thought "wait...i can go buy one whenever" so no thank you

has anybody been on the same boat as me? have you been able to conquer those thoughts?
Misa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/181/135

Height: 5'7''

I bought a great cream filled donut a few days ago, because "I had to eat it". They are my favorite.
All I tasted was sweet grease. YUK.
I don't think I'll ever buy another one. It wasn't worth the calories at all.

My taste buds are changing as I lose weight.

If you "have to eat it", then just cut it in half or eat a very small amount.
See if it is really something you still enjoy.

MARLA26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 154/148/135

Height: 5' 4"

I HAD to eat nachos from Taco Bell. To my defense though, I've held off for 2 straight weeks. I figured if I am still thinking about it two weeks later, it's time to let myself have it. Then I did some research and found out that the Nacho Bell Grande I wanted is the exact same thing as Nacho Supreme only it is bigger. Oh Boy. I can have it AND portion control!

Part of dieting is learning when to say yes and when to say no. If it is something someone has cooked, I try to be mindful of it ahead of time the likelihood of them cooking before I come and budget accordingly. If it is something I can get any time like nachos or donuts, I try delayed gratification for now. Later I start to crave it less and less and so when I want it, I don't have to do the delayed thing as much. But there should always be something in your head that kinda says, "is it worth it?" Sometimes it is. Sometimes it isn't.
kcoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

I used to be really bad about that and still feel cravings at times but like Marla said, I also usually feel like the indulgence is often disappointing and not worth the calories after I've eaten whatever I was fiending for.

My taste buds have definitely changed since I've been eating healthier and now that I know how much sweat it takes to burn 300 calories I think twice about eating sweets/fried food/salty snacks that my brain is craving but my stomach doesn't even really enjoy anymore.

That being said, you have to treat yourself from time to time, just to stay sane. This is a lifestyle change after all, not a temporary diet. I was just so surprised when I finally gave myself a 'treat' meal of fried food and ALL I could taste was stale grease!!!
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #5  
Nutella Girl

S/C/G: 197 / 135 / 140

Height: 5'5''

I still eat what I want. But in tiny baby sized portions. Then I eat it suuuper slowly and savour every bite. I might even go for a second helping but who cares since every helping is so small (and I mean teensy).
People look at me funny sometimes when I have a quarter sized cake on my plate but, honestly, who cares. Whatever works for me, right? I should be able to have my cake and eat it too
imperialistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/145.5/135

Height: 5ft 3

Oh man I totally understand this.

It was my cousin's wedding after-party yday, and I couldn't stop eating all the appetisers that were out on my table... I was sitting chatting away with my family I just totally forgot how much I was eating.

It's def an old habit. I always eat with no limit when I'm at family gatherings... I like imperialistic's idea of taking bite size pieces instead!
Em123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

I'm the same way. I gave up sugar for lent so of course I'm avoiding it at all costs. I saw some yummy donuts this morning while I was serving the community with a food distribution. I so wanted to grab one (they had coffee and donuts for the volunteers) I stayed away though and just drank a cup of black coffee. I kept thinking "I NEED that donut" In reality I didn't. I was hungry since I skipped breakfast but that was my own fault.
Princess of the KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #8  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Yeah I definitely have that! That panic of needing it, it's completely an obsession. I just keep repeating in my head now that I don't need it and it won't do me any good etc. Seems to be working so far. Well about 2 weeks haha
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #9  

I get that way too, with ANY food, healthy or not. Fear of running out. It could be helpful to remind yourself that you will NEVER run out of food, in fact you'll have to put effort in refusing food because there is so much. Also imagine a scenario where you would never have it - but there's so much other food out there. Its not the end of the world if you can't have that one specially baked cake ever again (which won't happen, but if it did)
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Height: 5'4"

I feel that way often.. It's hard to silence that part of my brain but I try (don't always succeed, but I do try) to tell myself that it's not the last time I'll ever have an opportunity to eat this thing ever again.

That being said, if I'm craving something for a really long time- like weeks- then I let myself have some of it, but not too much.
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #11  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialistic View Post
I still eat what I want. But in tiny baby sized portions. Then I eat it suuuper slowly and savour every bite. I might even go for a second helping but who cares since every helping is so small (and I mean teensy).
People look at me funny sometimes when I have a quarter sized cake on my plate but, honestly, who cares. Whatever works for me, right? I should be able to have my cake and eat it too
This is exactly what I do now. If I want something, I eat it. I just don't necessarily need to have a lot of it to get the taste.

Sometimes I just have one potato chip, haha! I just really wanted the taste very badly
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote