Old 02-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy motivation

First of all, I'm sorry if I seem whiny, I think I'm pmsing.

I've been having a really hard time getting motivated lately. There's a lot of stress is my life right now and exercising always makes me feel better, but I've been having such a hard time pushing myself to just get started. I haven't exercised in days, nor have I really eaten very well (not terribly, but not great) and I'm really starting to feel like a failure.

I should be completely motivated because I'm working towards a goal weight for my wedding/ honeymoon in September but I hit a speed bump and I feel like I've stalled out. I didn't lose for two weeks and I started to panic, and then I started feeling like it was useless because I was never going to get to my goal in time anyway.

I tried working out with my fiance and, while I know he has the best intentions, he makes me feel like I can't do anything. I tried working out with him but he does every SO fast and so intensely that if I even try to keep up I feel like I'm going to pass out. I tried playing soccer with him but he's too rough- I just wanted to run around kicking the ball to each other and have fun with it until I was more able to/comfortable with running more and he kicks the effing ball at me as hard as he can every single time. I spent more time dodging him and the ball than I did doing anything else. I got a football because I like throwing around footballs.. and I can't play that with him either. He throws so hard that my ribs hurt when I catch the ball - that is NOT fun or effective. I got a frisbee because we both like frisbee and I was actually having fun running around playing it with him but he's not very good at throwing one, so he doesn't want to do that anymore.

We have an elliptical and I was doing that in the mornings, but since I started my new job on Monday I already have to get up an hour and a half earlier than before and I'm having a REALLY hard time getting up any earlier to get on the elliptical.. and by the time I get home I'm either so tired/sore I can hardly move or everyone is home and I don't have a chance to get on the machine because either my mother in law is on it until after I have to go to bed (I have to get up early so I have to go to bed early) or because no one will just give me some time to myself for long enough to exercise.

We're moving into an apartment with a really awesome gym and lap pool (to finally get out of my in-law's house) at the end of March, but I really can't wait that long to kick-start myself. What should I do? I feel so stuck and so defeated. I've been losing sleep over how guilty I feel for falling off so much. I was doing really well when I was emailing a little support group a few of us formed but they've all kind of drifted away and now I don't really feel like I have anyone to talk to.. which makes it all that much more difficult.

I just don't know what to do
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #2  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Smile

Walking is a good exercise. You can get exercise tapes from the library to try. Don't be to hard on yourself. March will be here soon. Look in the exercise forum for other workout ideas.

I struggle with staying on plan under stress too. I count calories. I realized I need to plan my meals ahead of time. Otherwise, I usually go over my calories if I just try to eat meals and then figure calories. Maybe, find some hobby to keep you busy. I plan on learning how to knit better soon.

on your upcoming wedding.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #3  
Sassy, Classy, & Badassey

S/C/G: 239/221.8/135-ish?

Height: 5'5

My boyfriend would do the same things your fiancé does. It always seemed like I could never keep up with him. If I burned 500 calories at the gym, he'd say "pfft, I burned 1,000!" Or if we were out frisbee golfing, he'd run to the next hole as opposed to walking with me. He always seemed to go longer, harder, and faster than me.

So, I talked with him about it. About how much it was hurting me that I couldn't keep up and how I felt like he was rubbing in my face how much better he was than me at all things exercise. All the while, he thought he was motivating me. He is strongly motivated by competition, whereas I am completely the opposite. I am motivated by support and understanding. You might want to try explaining to your fiancé that you can't go as long or as hard as he can. And that you want to play football and soccer at YOUR pace, not his. Just talk with him. Hopefully he will understand.

As far as the working out goes... give yourself a break for a few days to a week. You are adjusting to a new job (which is really hard!) But while you are taking a break, consciously think of times where you are not being active. Take note of times when you are doing nothing each day and see if there is a pattern. There is always time. You just have to adjust to your schedule and find it.

Good luck, my dear!

Last edited by badassey; 02-25-2012 at 12:27 AM.
badassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #4  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Don't feel bad about taking a week off when starting a new job. Its very stressful so no wonder you have had issues. I took a week off from everything during my midterms and well I did gain 2 pounds from it, I don't feel bad at all. I was stressed enough and didn't need to add to my workload.

With that said, the key is to get right back on afterwards. Its the weekend now so you should be able to recoup your thoughts and relax. I'd probably start back on Sunday with the exercise and watching what I was eating. Trust me, once you get BACK into the swing of the things, its super easy. I know starting again sucks, but its completely worth it. You've lost over 20 pounds! Think of how awesome that feels and think of how even more amazing its going to feel when you lose another 20. You just need to get over that hump. Why not sit down tonight and plan your meals for tomorrow. That way in the morning you already have a head start.

My husband and I are also at different fitness levels. He works a labour intense job so hes in great shape. We just started the Couch 2 5K program. He can run a lot farther than I can, so even though we are doing the program "together".. he's usually so far ahead of me that I can't see him so its like I am doing it on my own. I also go to the gym and do fitness videos on my own. If I was to rely on him, I'd never ever work out lol!

Last edited by Candeka; 02-25-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #5  
I will make time!!!

I agree, give your self a break, your not super woman! Plus what i've noticed is when your unhealthy it's really hard to find energy to work out, now with too many people in your face and no sleep and a new job-thats just craziness. Try drinking around three cups of green tea a day, it helps give you a boost and suppresses your appitite. When you start out think that to get in shape it's 80% what you put into your body and 20% how you move it. I say if you really want to start working out before you move out just take twenty minutes out of your day to do some kind of workout. If you can somehow get more energy you can put in the time, but if not don't worry about it, wait untill you have space to your self. You could do simple things like running up and down the stairs or running in place, doing the plank and push-ups, and squats and lunges, anything to get your heart pumping, remember to breath, some people dont breath deep enough during exercise and it makes it seem harder, wierd but true. Another thing I found to give me more energy at work is standing straight with good posture, I stand all day. Try having good posture it will give you more energy and clearity. hope I was somewhat helpful! Oh, and if talking to your hubby doesnt work, work out without him for alittle bit.

Last edited by SnowWolf; 02-25-2012 at 12:57 AM.
SnowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling a lot better today. I got up a little bit early this morning and did some stretches and it helped me feel better.

I talked to my fiance last night and he thought he was motivating me. Just like h4a5r I'm not motivated by competition at all, and we talked about it. I tend to have a hard time telling him how I feel about things and it all just kind of boiled over last night. I told him how I feel about everything.. leaving my old job, starting my new one, the people at work, the people at home, exercising, the food we've been eating.. there was a lot of stuff I was holding in.

We've put together a work out routine that I can do at home and he said that if I want to do it alone I can, but if I want him to work out with me he'll go at my pace.. We are also going to sit down tonight and make a menu of healthy foods for the week.

I feel so much better having finally gotten out the things that were bugging me.. Thanks for the helpful words and advice everyone, I appreciate it.
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote