Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 07:00 PM   #1  

Default are your husband/significant others on program with you?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone was on a program with their husband/significant other? My husband wants to lose weight, and I want us to help each other. We don't keep any junk in the house, and don't eat out much. His problem is not having any ideas what an actual serving size is, and the calories in most things.

Should I discuss this with him, or leave it alone? I don't want to upset him. We've been down this road before-he'll say for me to dish out dinner to show what serving sizes should be-we'll keep that up for a few days, then he'll abandon it.

I'm worried because diabetes runs on one side of his family. He'll be forty next year, and I want him to be healthier. His cholesterol and blood pressure are both fine.
Any advice?

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 03-04-2003, 03:25 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

wish i could help you.... but david has to work to stay around 170 lbs, which is skinny for his 6 feet. and by "work" i mean "eat shitloads of pasta in front of me". bah.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:29 AM   #3  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

man, that's a lot of pasta...

Jim is "trying" to do this with me. I do have snacks for him in the house. If I don't he complains that there is nothing in the house for him. It seems to be a no win situation.

If I nag him about his diet then he says I'm *****ing... ahhh.. I can't win.

He does drink water like there's no tomorrow. He has 1-2 gallons a day. Plus he drinks soda.

Sherry.. I would leave him alone. I know you are concerned about his health - but he needs to be concerned enough to do it for himself. Since you are eating healthy there are good foods for him to eat - he just needs to make the right choices like you do.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #4  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

My Cute Boyfriend and I are both overweight and although he complains non-stop about it, he doesn't want to do anything about it.

BUT I have figured out that if I prepare healthy meals or if we're going out to eat and I show him what's healthy on the menu (we have a Healthy Dining book for our area), he's much more likely to eat healthy.

I also have some rules of the house.
-No real soda (anything non-diet) in the house.
-Nothing more than a serving size of junk food (so, he can bring in candy if it's a single piece of it, or chips if it's a small individual bag) in the house.

And that pretty much takes care of my home life. He doesn't complain because he can drink as much soda as he wants at work and he loves it when I cook (I hate it )
Old 03-04-2003, 04:53 PM   #5  
Catwoman

I think if he gives up after a few days because of portion sizes I wouldn't worry about restricting food. I like a big meal but I make it a small steak or whatever (correct portion size with the meat) and load up on the steamed vegetables, ends up a big filling meal without all the cals. Better to have healthy choices and worry about size down the track or even add one healthy thing every week so he eases into the diet. My dh doens't diet with me and I've just had to get used to him having takeaway and chocolate and always having icecream in the house. Was hard at first but I've given him his ow shelf to keep his junk on and I don't touch it.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:33 PM   #6  
Searching

My hubby should, but he won't and I have given up on being responsible for anybody's health but my own.

Miss Chris
Old 03-05-2003, 11:40 AM   #7  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

My bf is 5'11" and weighs about 230. It doesn't bother me cause I think he looks great. But he refuses to do anything that requires any iota of physical activity, and that kindof upsets me cause I'd love someone to do things with.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:12 PM   #8  

thank you all for your advice. I can only be responsible for my own health (which is enough to worry about right now-well, I'm lucky actually, my cholesterol and blood pressure are perfectly fine) I guess he'll do something when he's ready.

Thanks again,
Sherry
Closed Thread