South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #1  
Maryanna

S/C/G: 167/132/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Default How many servings of carbs do you eat per day?

I am just wondering what the south beach diet considered one serving of carbs?
Like, I know one slice of bread- and that's basically it :P
But I would like a guideline for the portions
Like would one serving be 1/2 cup of oatmeal or would that be two?
Pasta, rice, quinoa, couscous, etc. Just wondering if there was some sort of guideline?
Also, I was wondering how many servings of carbs do you eat a day?
Like, I've been eating (I believe lol ) two servings. Like I'll have a sandwich with two slices of bread and that'll be it. Plus, also two servings of fruit. I exercise a lot so I wonder if that is enough sometimes?
But yeah, just your experiences and tips would be nice!
pinkcandiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

In general, I aim for about one serving of grains per day. I don't limit fruit servings but in general, it isn't more than 2 per day.

I usually go by the serving size listed on whatever package I bought, for example 7 Triscuits. For additional things that might not come packaged, this Phase 2 list gives a lot of serving sizes (though some serving sizes are missing). Most "grains" like rice, pasta, quinoa, etc. is a serving size of 1/2 cup cooked.

One thing I just discovered recently is that the serving size for bread is 1 ounce/28 g. There *might* be some thinly sliced breads that you could get two slices in a single serving size. It also means that my 1 pita bread is two servings!

Also I just realized my 1/2 cup of blueberries is considered less than one serving.

Always learning...
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

SBD isn't a low-carb plan, nor is there any counting of carbs, which is one of the things I love. No counting anything!

That said, I personally differentiate in my mind all carbs from grains. I might actually eat a lot of carbs (mostly from beans, veggies, fruit), but I eat very little from products like bread or cereal or crackers or rice, or pasta, even the whole wheat versions. I tend to overeat grain-foods. So what works for me is to limit those.

I have also found that when I do have grains and fruits, I do best when I eat them later in the day. If I have cereal for breakfast I am more likely to want more of that kind of thing that day. Some days I have steel cut oats for dinner

I think you have to figure out what you can eat that will not cause cravings and still allow you to lose weight (if that's your goal), and if the timing makes a difference. Everyone is different.

One more thing I'll add... except for some rare meals out, I haven't had bread or grains with breakfast or lunch in so long I can't remember. And I don't miss it at all. Actually, we don't even have bread in our house anymore.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I am with Karen - it is hard for me to eat fruit in the morning or I crave something sweet all day.

I try to limit to two grains and one fruit. But that is what works for me. You have to discover and listen to your body and figure out what combo is right for you for weight-loss and craving control!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #5  
Maryanna

S/C/G: 167/132/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Oh, that list was very useful! Thanks!
Thanks everyone for your insight though- very helpful!
Yeah, I try not to count carbs but I tend to look at things and try to choose the least carbish thing- especially when going out! But tis true I was so scared to transition into phase 2 when I finished 1!
And yeah, I rarely eat grains- the only exception being oatmeal sometimes. I have had a loaf of bread for a few months now but it's been good because I occasionally want a sandwich so I just froze the bread. It's wonderful how the body adapts and tastes change. Like, I cannot stand chocolate anymore unless it is 70-85% dark!
And yeah, everyone is different... haha I know what foods cause me cravings, but I am scared to weigh myself hence I don't know how I am affected each week :P
But, I shall get the guts and go to the gym and weigh myself once a week xp I don't have a scale atm- am at uni right now, not home- so I don't have the option of weighing myself daily- which I don't want to anyways! Went through that phase before!
But yeah, sometimes when I eat bread I just want to eat more because it feels so yummy. Hahaha I fixed that by freezing it so I can't snack on it xD

Last edited by pinkcandiez; 02-24-2012 at 06:48 PM.
pinkcandiez is offline   Reply With Quote