Weight Loss Support - Has anyone had results from giving up pop/soda?

tonimaroni2
02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
If you have given up drinking pop, have you had any weight loss from just that?

I started reading a book called 'Skinny *****' and i absolutely love it. It's really motivated me to give up drinking pop, which is totally bizarre because I can't stand having a meal without drinking a few sips of one. Occasionally I'll have milk or juice, but I have at least one pop a day, no matter what.

So this morning I had a breakfast that I would always have diet coke with and I just didn't order one at all. I also didn't have one yesterday. Just like that - cold turkey - no more pop. :carrot: My breakfast wasn't as satisfying though. The book obviously made me think about what I was drinking. I'm wondering if it will change anything for me. I didn't drink that much pop before - but one a day is 365 a year, minimum. Just hoping it was a decision that I'll be proud of.

freelancemomma
02-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Theoretically, giving up DIET pop won't make a difference in your weight because it has no calories. However, if it puts you in a healthier frame of mind, it could help you make better food choices overall.

Freelance

sontaikle
02-22-2012, 11:10 AM
I never drank regular soda because it was too sweet for me. I still drink diet coke and never noticed any adverse effects.

Then again I'm not one of those people who drink it constantly. One, two cans at the most per day. I'm sure some people who have a true addiction to any soda would probably see differences if they gave it up/cut back.

guacamole
02-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes! I went from drinking full sugar soda to diet to water. I probably dropped about 10 lbs from my beverage choices alone. However, I was one who could drink a 12 pack a day! Probably 1 or 2 diet sodas per day won't cause too much of a gain. The thing to remember is that diet beverages have sodium which cause water retention. If you drop your sodium levels by reducing high sodium foods and beverages, you will see a weight decrease just from releasing the water.

MadameZombie
02-22-2012, 12:11 PM
If you're talking about giving up regular soda, then yes, significant weight will be lost. Diet soda? It's already zero calories but I do notice that I don't feel as bloated. When I am in the mood for something bubbly though it's almost always diet, I can't even drink regular soda anymore.

Beach Patrol
02-22-2012, 12:20 PM
Ya know, I've heard people say "Yes, I gave up my soda habit & lost 25 lb!!!" - that's it, that's all they did - give up their soda habit, & they lost weight. Makes me wonder exactly how much soda were they drinking? - because about 10 years ago, I did that very thing... gave up my Mountain Dew habit, COMPLETELY! - didn't even drink DIET soda! - even gave up tea, milk, coffee - EVERYTHING - drank nothing but water... even gave up ALL JUNK FOOD... ate nothing but lean meats, veggies & fruits - and I walked SIX MILES A DAY, 5 days a week.... and ..... NOT A SINGLE POUND DOWN in six months!!!!

so....wtf?? I dunno. :shrug: :rolleyes: :censored: :chin: :dunno:

I guess, bottom line, not everything works for everybody.

ames
02-22-2012, 12:21 PM
I gave up diet-pop a while ago. And I don't think that giving up diet-pop itself helped me to lose weight. I do think that giving up diet-pop helped me to stave off cravings. Because apparently when you drink/eat fake sugar it doesn't trick your system into thinking that you ate sugar - instead it makes you crave the real thing. The less you crave sugar, the less you eat sugar. This is what can help you lose weight.

mkroyer
02-22-2012, 12:31 PM
No, you arent going to see a weight decrease ftrom giving up one diet soda a day. I doubt youd see a weight decrease from giving up one, full sugar regular soda per day... its only 120-180 cals per can anyway..... not enough to make any sort of deficit in and of itself. If you were a 6 pack or 12 pack a day drinker though, giving up the real soda could DEFINITELY make a difference

BananaMontana
02-22-2012, 12:34 PM
I was drinking at least 4 cans of regular soda a day (yikes!) and I gave it up but didn't lose any weight from it at all.

zenor77
02-22-2012, 12:35 PM
I didn't see a weight difference, but I stopped getting headaches and bad PMS. Artificial sweetners are terrible for you. I didn't realize that until I gave them up several years ago. You will feel so much better! Good luck!

QuarterLife88
02-22-2012, 02:44 PM
That book is awful. It's what started my eating issues. I wish I had never picked it up 5 years ago. Blech.

And no, giving up soda, unless you were drinking an astronomical amount, won't have any effect, except making you feel better, and your insides will thank you.

andrew80k
02-22-2012, 02:53 PM
In college I switched from Pepsi to Diet Pepsi and lost 23 pounds. I don't recall how long it took, but it was probably 4 or 5 months. That was the only change for me. It took a while to get used to it, but I can't drink full sugar drinks at all now. I still drink a fair amount of Diet drinks and have not had any adverse affects to my weight loss. I don't drink as much as I used to by about half, but I like 'em and am going to continue to drink them but maybe not so much of them.

Thistleberry
02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I used to have at least one pepsi a day, sometimes two, but now I just drink water. I can't stand diet soda so I went cold turkey and, honestly, it wasn't even a conscious decision to quit altogether. I'd just decided I wanted to go a day or two without one and it snowballed. I think if I had set out to cut it out entirely I would have crumbled under the pressure. Anyway, I noticed that I felt a lot better but sadly there were no significant changes on the scale.

tonimaroni2
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
I shouldn't have said that I drank DIET coke, because I drink regular soda also. LOL It was just my beverage of choice at that one particular restaurant.

Quarterlife - why do you hate the book? I find it incredibly motivating.

QuarterLife88
02-22-2012, 03:33 PM
^I haven't read it in a long time but I picked it up when I was about 19, and very impressionable. I wasn't overweight at all, but I felt I could still lose 5lbs so I read the book. Horrible. I fell for everything these two heifers said, including thinking eating meat would make me fat and disgusting. I cut out all of those foods that they deemed "bad" (which was basically everything!) and began a very restrictive starvation diet because I didn't know how to eat anymore (FYI, all of their pro-vegan foods are NOT good for you. They are just as processed and probably three times higher in sodium than the foods I was eating before. They also recommend a fast before starting their new way of eating. UGH!)

I got very sick, and ended up going on my first binge shortly after, and it escalated from there, and I've had food issues ever since.

These women are irresponsible hacks.

It took me three years after reading this book to not be afraid to eat a piece of chicken again.

CocoTruffles
02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
My DH lost weight by cutting out soda, but he was downing like at least 20 cans a week. Yikes! He had horrible headaches and cravings going cold turkey so I told him to filter in a soda every now and then to help with that. That was last fall. We drink Diet now, usually between 1-5 cans total each sometimes non at all. Diet soda alone wont help in the calorie department, but it does still have sodium and contributes to water weight gain if you drink a lot of it.

Honestly though I think its good that you have decided to get of the soda all together. While 1 can a day wont kill you, its not really "good" for you either. Plus starting the day off with healthy choices just sets you up for success to stay OP the rest of the day. :)

lovemydoggiesx2
02-22-2012, 05:14 PM
I have always known soda is bad for you and I go through phases of drinking and not drinking any (diet only) and have never noticed a weight drop from stopping. I know it is bad for you, but I still enjoy it whenever I go out...=)

freelancemomma
02-22-2012, 05:45 PM
<<I was drinking at least 4 cans of regular soda a day (yikes!) and I gave it up but didn't lose any weight from it at all.>>

Do you think you replaced it with calories from another source? (Not assuming, just wondering.)

Freelance

tonimaroni2
02-22-2012, 06:20 PM
No I don't think so. In fact, in causes me to drink less during my meals so I concentrate more on what I'm eating, and less on the lifelong habit of taking a drink after every bite. To be honest, I think not drinking the pop has drastically changed my urge to snack during the day also. Snacks and pop go together for me - without the pop, the snack isn't so appealing.

kaplods
02-22-2012, 07:54 PM
I went almost a year without caffeine, soda, or artificial sweeteners, because I have fibromyalgia and autoimmune issues, and some folks with these issues report symptom improvement when them up. I decided it was worth trying.

I not only didn't notice any difference in my appetite, hunger, cravings, weight, energy level, or any other health issues, I kept a symptom log, so I had actual proof of it.

I was still having a lot of fatigue issues, so I asked my doctor about possible medications, he recommended caffeine as the safest and I asked about artificial sweeteners and diet sodas. He said that I had been off them long enough, that if I were going to experience problems such as headaches, I would notice them right away.

I didn't, so I do still drink diet beverages. I do drink less caffeine and use less artificial sweeteners than I did before quitting, but the benefits are worth it to me.

As for artificial sweeteners increasing overall hunger or sugar/carb-cravings, I've found that to be somewhat true - but FAR, FAR LESS SO than real sugar does. So for me, non-caloric sweeteners are the lesser evil. Other carbs increase my hunger as well more so than artificial sweeteners.

I've learned from experience, that I can acheive the lowest hunger levels by eliminating all carbs and sweet foods, but I'm not sure the results are worth it. So, instead I try to find a balance I can live with. I have fewer issues with the artificial sweeteners than I do the real sugars in even healthy foods (dried fruit is a trigger food for me, so I have to be very careful with it. I can sprinkle a few raisins on a salad with some protein and be fine, but I can't eat them by the handful without wanting more and more and just generally being hungrier than if I had not eaten anything at all).

ValRock
02-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Diet soda is one of the last "unhealthy" things I have left. I tried kicking the habit after Christmas and actually GAINED weight. I was replacing sipping on a Coke Zero with munching on something, and I was tired, and it wasn't good. I just felt yucky. I drink a can a day in the afternoon. I'm also on RX Caffeine for Lupus fatigue now so I may try again. I'm not too thrilled with the artificial sweetener...

guynna
02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I used to drink a *lot* of diet Coke; have cut way way back to almost zero. I find that (for me) I don't crave sweets as much and generally feel better. Now drink more water, and have switched from 2 cups decaf coffee in the morning to one cup decaf and one cup green tea.

BananaMontana
02-22-2012, 08:17 PM
<<I was drinking at least 4 cans of regular soda a day (yikes!) and I gave it up but didn't lose any weight from it at all.>>

Do you think you replaced it with calories from another source? (Not assuming, just wondering.)

Freelance

I just sort of switched to water at the time. Granted, a week later I started actively dieting and I've lost about 4 pounds in the two weeks since i started with calorie counting and being on a diet. Maybe quitting soda contributed to that as well? Though, in that first week after kicking the habit I didn't see any weight loss. I dunno. I could be wrong about something :lol:

Magalo
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Well it's ok you'll just get cancer. :)

kaplods
02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
The worst and most dangerous carcinogens in the average household environment aren't those that come from food ingredients and additives.

Perfumes, air fresheners, disinfectants, insecticides, household cleaners, furniture and upholstery, carpeting, paints, soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, laundering products, plastics, are usually of much higher risk.

But it's a lot easier to get people to give up their diet sodas than their cosmetics, air fresheners and fabric softeners. And people tend to think that soaps and cleansers can't be bad for you, after all they kill evil bacteria (bacteria that is often safer than the products used to kill them).

ValRock
02-23-2012, 11:47 PM
The worst and most dangerous carcinogens in the average household environment aren't those that come from food ingredients and additives.

Perfumes, air fresheners, disinfectants, insecticides, household cleaners, furniture and upholstery, carpeting, paints, soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, laundering products, plastics, are usually of much higher risk.

But it's a lot easier to get people to give up their diet sodas than their cosmetics, air fresheners and fabric softeners. And people tend to think that soaps and cleansers can't be bad for you, after all they kill evil bacteria (bacteria that is often safer than the products used to kill them).

This is so true!! I've replaced everything in the cleaning cabinet with Vinegar, castille soap, rubbing alcohol, washing soda, peroxide, baking soda, borax, and essential oils. We all feel better!

Samanthia
02-24-2012, 12:14 AM
I gave up pop and fast food and droped 33 pounds prety fast!!

kakeJ
02-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Yes and no. If you are only drinking a can or two of diet pop, it won't work. But in the past I have switched from regular pop and anything carbonated to wate and or green iced tea w/ honey or just lemon, and have dropped 10lbs. I do think the corn syrup in regular pop at 2 to 3 cans a day add up.

124chicksinger
02-24-2012, 06:43 AM
Years ago I gave up diet Pepsi...it was a huge addiction...actually literally would say I NEED a diet Pepsi. I also drank club soda or seltzer to quench thirst, so I stuck with that when I dumped the Pepsi. Honestly, for the things I don't eat/drink, I should be a twig. Since July '11, I drink water. I will have coffee, probably 1 per day, with skim milk, but these 3 fluids are all I drink now and the bulk of my liquid is water.

While it is healthier to avoid both regular and diet soda (who knows what the artificial sweeteners will do to us long term) it hasn't made a difference in my weight loss. Also, I avoid artificial sweeteners altogether. If I want something sweet, I have a bit of something and don't go overboard. It is rare tho that I want a sweet.

Rana
02-24-2012, 09:26 AM
When I switched from regular soda to diet Coke, I was eliminating sugar from my life, so yes, I did lose. I eventually gave up diet Coke too because the artificial sweetener didn't sit well with my body anyway. I hung to it because I am addicted to the bubbles. Now, I just drink sparkling water.

The best thing I could have done for my health and my mind was to give up soda. I was addicted to it, in a weird and strange way, even the diet Coke. It wasn't only associated with the sugar in the soda, it was the combination of the soda with everything else.

I know I still drink sparkling water, so I guess the addiction isn't completely gone. But my goal is to reach a point where I only drink that once in a while.

freelancemomma
02-24-2012, 09:52 AM
<<I know I still drink sparkling water, so I guess the addiction isn't completely gone. But my goal is to reach a point where I only drink that once in a while.>>

What's wrong with sparkling water?

F.

Beach Patrol
02-24-2012, 11:57 AM
<<I know I still drink sparkling water, so I guess the addiction isn't completely gone. But my goal is to reach a point where I only drink that once in a while.>>

What's wrong with sparkling water?

F.

I know you weren't specifically addressing me, but I know that carbonation can lead to that horrid "bloaty" feeling. That's one reason why I only (usually) drink one Diet Mtn Dew per day. I HATE that bloaty feeling! Ugh!

A little off topic... just curious!... why do you use <<this>> to quote someone? Why not just use the quote button?

freelancemomma
02-24-2012, 02:50 PM
A little off topic... just curious!... why do you use <<this>> to quote someone? Why not just use the quote button?

'Cause I'm a little techno-challenged -- but I've just tried your suggestion now.

F. :-)

LunaFlash
02-27-2012, 09:02 AM
You have no idea how much pop I drank. Collectively, it all probably equaled out to 3 two liters in 4 days. On top of that, I NEVER drank water. I've stopped drinking pop for 3 weeks now and I've mainly been drinking water and juice. I don't think it's really affected my weight or anything but I will say I physically feel better. I don't feel so sluggish and sleepy all the time and I'm in a much better mood :)

Vex
02-27-2012, 09:17 AM
I just gave up diet soda except for 1 maybe 2 cans a day about a week ago. Wow, it kick started my loss again. I drank a LOT though - maybe something like 10 cans a day, and it was all diet.

I've replaced it all with water. I never dreamed diet soda would make such a difference, but a little bit of sodium adds up. I'm probably a believer now.

Chubbykins
02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I was a serious diet coke addict. I drank no water all day and only the black stuff. I just gave it no thought.
My hair actually thinned and I had weird headaches so I stopped it, but I did not lose any weight from that because I probably didn't gain any weight from it either. The bloating was much less though. My hair got back to normal too.

I don't think a can a day will make much difference.

As for the craving sugar part, I craved just the same amount of sugar while I was drinking and after. So it is probably different for everybody.

Cutting out sugary pop will surely make a difference in the long run though. Even 100 calories a day add up over time if you are overeating.