General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #1  
Amazing will be me

Default Do you use social networks to blog your weightloss?

Facebook , twitter? ETC
And how do you go about it, i can see why it will be motivational i have tried blogging but just cant get my head round it.
Social networks are so much easier to work haha.

Do you have a seperate account to log your loss?
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

I'm going to preface this by saying that I do not even use social media networks. That being said, I've seen my fair share of posts on 3FC and other places on the internet that bemoan certain types of things that can happen on Facebook when someone starts talking about weight loss.

The only thing I might caution is that depending on what you use to motivate you, or who you allow to see your posts, that you might get comments. A lot of comments. And not always the "hey you're lookin' good" comments. But, those ones that talk about "Why are you eating that? I thought you were on a diet" or "Geeze, why don't you eat something..." If that doesn't bother you, then by all means use your main account.

And the only reason I mention it is because, again, I see it posted about weight loss (or people starting exercise routines or a new eating habit, etc.) fairly frequently.

TL;DR: A separate account would be a good way to keep out the people who you don't think would be supportive of your efforts or who you feel might end up being the food police.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #3  
Amazing will be me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
I'm going to preface this by saying that I do not even use social media networks. That being said, I've seen my fair share of posts on 3FC and other places on the internet that bemoan certain types of things that can happen on Facebook when someone starts talking about weight loss.

The only thing I might caution is that depending on what you use to motivate you, or who you allow to see your posts, that you might get comments. A lot of comments. And not always the "hey you're lookin' good" comments. But, those ones that talk about "Why are you eating that? I thought you were on a diet" or "Geeze, why don't you eat something..." If that doesn't bother you, then by all means use your main account.

And the only reason I mention it is because, again, I see it posted about weight loss (or people starting exercise routines or a new eating habit, etc.) fairly frequently.

TL;DR: A separate account would be a good way to keep out the people who you don't think would be supportive of your efforts or who you feel might end up being the food police.
Yeah thats what i was thinking , as there is some i prob wouldnt like to know about all that stuff. I duno maybe a group would be better rather than a actual new friend account?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #4  
Amazing will be me

Ive created a group its called Shreding For the wedding!!!

Feel free to join Lets see how it goes x
Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #5  

I used to use Facebook, but then had some issues and deleted my account. I plan to go back once I've lost my weight, but for now I'm happy not being on it.

I think for me it's more of a pride issue that I don't talk about my weight loss efforts with many. I have a 3FC blog, but I don't personally know anyone here. I've just had failed attempts to lose weight in the past and because of my pride, I'd be more disappointed to let others down than myself. Though I suppose it does go hand in hand because I feel like a huge failure after talking my weight loss efforts up and then falling off the wagon indefinitely as I have in the past. Despite the fact that I truly believe this time is different, I don't want to shoot myself in the foot. And then of course there are those people that will be judgemental about it as said above.
essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I have a blog and a tumblr dedicated to weight loss/fitness/health. My twitter account is more of my random thoughts but health and fitness come up.

I posted progress pictures on facebook twice just because it was getting pretty obvious from pictures that I was losing weight. Plus, I was starting to see people that I hadn't seen in a long time so I thought I would get the "OMG YOU LOST WEIGHT" comments out of the way so we could just talk about other stuff.

I love social media; it's been really motivating for me to have this stuff.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #7  
Amazing will be me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
I have a blog and a tumblr dedicated to weight loss/fitness/health. My twitter account is more of my random thoughts but health and fitness come up.

I posted progress pictures on facebook twice just because it was getting pretty obvious from pictures that I was losing weight. Plus, I was starting to see people that I hadn't seen in a long time so I thought I would get the "OMG YOU LOST WEIGHT" comments out of the way so we could just talk about other stuff.

I love social media; it's been really motivating for me to have this stuff.
Yeah i think i will find it motivational,
Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I link my blog to my facebook account, but.... I only have 'friends' on my FB, not hundreds and hundreds of people I don't know - like 200 people total. And, I'm 42 and most of my friends are around that age or older - so more mature and not about to be all junior high-ish on me. I would probably think differently if I were 20 or even younger and had 400 plus friends half of whom I don't even really know.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

I use facebook a lot, but not for blogging about weight loss. The women I know from my daughter's Girl Scout troupe do not need to know that I'm thinking about eating chocolate right now and reallllly hope I don't. My high school class doesn't need to know I'm up or down half a pound. And more than that, I don't want their thoughts on the matter. I CERTAINLY don't want to hear what my mother thinks about it!

I do blog but I don't promote it. I really write it for me...usually first thing in the morning I'll blog about what I hope to do that day, any general thoughts I've had on weight loss, just whatever weight and food things I'm thinking about. At the end of the day I blog about how the day went. It helps me stay focused. I doubt anyone else reads it and maybe when I'm a bit further along I'll add it to my sig. I certainly wouldn't want anyone in my real life to find it. I'm fairly private like that.

You are really opening yourself up to so much commentary, as someone has already pointed out, if you don't limit who can read your updates. If you're sensitive or private or you need approval, it could be a disaster.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:07 AM   #10  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I will occasionally mention "Under X weight hooray" on my Facebook/Twitter, but I don't like to broadcast that I'm trying to lose weight.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:49 PM   #11  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I post my weight loss occasionally on FB. Like "Down another 2lb..." and etc. I don't go into detail though. Most of the people on my FB are close friends and family-most of which who are currently doing WW or have done some form of diet/lifestyle change for health issues already. So my group is supportive.

I have a personal journal that I write in a few times a week though, nobody sees it but me and my DH(if he feels like being nosy LOL). I use that to rant about the scale not moving and being sore(nothing I don't already rant about to my DH anyways). I also use it to note when either of us notice new things like muscles coming through or more flexibility etc. So we can go back and read when we need the encouragement to see how far we've come.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #12  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i have a blog on this site that i post to occasionally, and i use my fitness pal to keep track of calories and exercise. all of my posts from MFP get posted on twitter. nobody on twitter knows me. yet somehow i have 28 followers. heh.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #13  

I don't. I used to, but I have a lot of extended family on my Facebook and my cousin recently started selling these weight loss shakes (for $90/month..). Every time I mentioned about what I was eating, or that I was craving something, she'd either post something disparaging, like "I -THOUGHT- you were on a 'diet' so why are you eating/craving that?" or she'd send me countless e-mails trying to get me to buy this shake from her. It's basically glorified SlimFast. Her mother, my aunt, would do the same thing (actually, my other aunt also e-mails me to let me know I shouldn't be doing this or that on Facebook; such as discussing religion on MY page, or sending a letter through my status to the doctors I have on my list asking them to smack their med students for not dictating properly, etc). Even if I don't acknowledge it, it gets back to my dad (it's his family) and it ALWAYS gets twisted (his family is SO BAD for not getting the story straight) and I end up getting yelled at by him or whatever.

So-o-o-o, it's just easier not to mention it on Facebook and if I ever DO, I make sure to set the status so those people can't see it.

I don't do Twitter, never saw the point of it, and I'm way too lazy to keep up a blog (as evidenced by my 3FC blog lol).
Rainbowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #14  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I only do it to log the BIG ones (not like 5 pounds). I posted that I had officially lost 20 pounds and had only 10 more to go. I'm sure once I get to my goal I will post that I made it there as well. Other than that, no I don't post or even talk about it with friends/family because I don't need the pressure of them expecting me to fail or the look of disappointment if I actually do fail.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #15  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I don't use my Facebook to discuss weight loss mainly because I know most of my friends wouldn't really care xD and it would prob annoy the s**t out of them. Besides that I don't need people keeping tabs on what I do and don't eat, same with exercising and any activities I do.

When I hit 212 pounds I did put up a comparison pic, because it was pretty Da*n obvious that I had lost weight through pics posted of me. I got alot of supporting comments, and when I hit my goal I'll prob do another one(hopefully in a bikini). But until then, no weightloss talk =D

Last edited by baker23; 02-22-2012 at 02:42 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote