Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Default Is my loss rate normal?

I think something might be wrong with me. I have over 100 pounds to lose. I've been counting calories and staying between 1200 and 1500 for 5 weeks. I am also walking for at least 30 min (sometimes more) at least 3 times per week. Yet I have only lost a total of 6 pounds. I see that most people in my range lose anywhere from 2 to 4 pounds per week. Is something wrong with me? I was hoping I could lose most of the weight in one year, but at this rate, it's going to take much longer.
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:35 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

There's nothing wrong with you. Your weight loss looks normal.

I tend to lose anywhere between 0-2 pounds per week. (Yes that's Zero to 2)

There are people who lose more in the beginning months, but that usually tapers off. There are those who start out losing fairly steadily.

This is one area where thinking about how much one plans to lose in a year can be detrimental to a new way of eating. This shouldn't be discouraging. This should be enlightening. If thinking about how you might not reach your goal in a year is upsetting, then it's time to change the goal. Either lower the number to something more realistic, or go one better and erase the idea that you have a time frame for losing weight.

Losing weight, eating healthier, adding in activity... these things are hard enough most days to consider adding discouragement on top by thinking we aren't losing fast enough. Don't add that kind of needless stress in your life.

You're normal. You're doing healthy things for yourself. The weight will come off over time. Have patience. And did I mention that you're normal?
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

You are not eating enough for your current weight. I weigh 144 and I eat 1400 to lose weight. You should be eating around 1700 to lose weight. I know it sounds very odd to eat MORE to lose, but its just how our bodies work. If I was to eat 1000, my body wouldn't lose anything.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #4  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

have you tried adding more calories? i'm at 270 and eat 1700-2000 per day (low end on days i don't work out, higher on days i do) and still lose 1.5-2lbs per week. if you eat too low your body holds on to it.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/181/115

Height: 5'3"

Lovely - Thank you! I really do need to adjust my goals in order to not feel disappointed. A new mental approach is in order.

Candeka and Konfyoozed - I will try to up the calories to see if that gives me better results. Thanks for the ideas!
PrettyMom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #6  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Your weightloss amount is fine ...But I do agree with the others and think you need to up your calories. For your height and weight, you should be eating more...

I recently spent a week eating 500 calories more a day after I stalled for over a month. During this week I've managed to get down about two pounds by eating more. Sounds crazy, but our bodies are crazy...Up your calories, continue what your doing, and see what happens in a few weeks

Last edited by baker23; 02-21-2012 at 04:49 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #7  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

First of all, congratulations on your first 6 pounds!

It is entirely possible you're not eating enough calories as others have said, but do keep in mind that everyone loses at a different rate. I average 4 to 6 pounds a month. My best friend in the entire world is 280 and has problems losing anything even when she's perfectly on target with food and exercise. A 2 pound loss in a month is good for her. It's both mystifying and unfair, but a loss is a loss and even little ones add up. At the end of the year she'll be happier about her weight than she was at the beginning.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote