Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/245/150

Height: 5ft5in

Default Wanted to say hi and introduce myself

Hi to everyone.
I've been battling my weight my adult life. It started during Nursing School/College where I was fueling myself with all the wrong foods to stay awake pulling straight A's, working full time and also going to school full time and also taking courses outside of my main school, hardly sleeping. My weight just that year ballooned 50 lbs. I took it off twice but after that forget it, I couldn't succeed.
Ok let's fast forward all of this. I'm 53 y/o. I've been a Nurse (RN) 33 years and yet still cannot until this week stick to a Program.

I assessed this problem numerous times. This time I tried something else. I mean a different attack on the problem. I tried this time to try Slim Fast to replace breakfast which has been a disaster forever because I crave bad stuff from places like McD's and BK. The oatmeal at McD's is good but then I want the other stuff and find myself going back to the counter to order it.
So what I did was this and it is working...

I am on an 1800 calorie diet. I eat a SF meal replacement bar for breakfast plus one fruit 1 or 2 hours after and drink a good 3 or 4 cups of water to help that fiber work and fill me up.

Lunch is a diet dinner like Healthy Choice and a piece of fruit so I get a balanced meal, not hungry after.

I have a meal replacement bar at 4 pm. This has been the reason why I can stay put. I am not craving sweets, chocolate or anything else.

Dinner is assessed by the amount of calories I have left and a late night snack that I always plan so I am not hungry at all.

Wanted to share my approach because I have started out 2 days ago and have already lost 4 lbs. in 2 days. My weight is terribly high.
I started out at 300.5 lbs. This morning I am weighing in at 296.5 lbs. This is a huge accomplishment for me because I am not hungry and I am very happy to see that I can lose weight tailoring it all the way I want to work this. It is my understanding that Slim Fast is a safe product and me adding sensible meals into the day should be a good way to make the weight loss happen but also where I can stick to this and stay on this.

Finally I want to confess this to everyone. I used to be a runner. Very, very active and when I stopped running, ate badly the once toned and flawless figure became obese and my once beautiful wardrobe became full of Plus sized clothes which as you know at best are box like and where you want to cover up as much as possible vs. being able to show off a waist, a pretty person and I want the old me back and I believe I can do this with a crutch. I need to fill up, eat more often and eat healthy.
I look younger than my years. Never smoked, not a drinker but food has replaced sadness, loss of key family members including a husband, parents,a dear Aunt and Uncle who lived around the corner from us and I am now after 3 years after the latest death saying stop all of this. You don't need weight loss surgery, you need a new approach and a place to be so I'll check in often and be a good friend to others who maybe I can help as I help myself.

Thank you!
LadyNASDAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the forum! I am so glad that you have found a program that works for you. Wishing you all the best on your weight loss journey!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 282/245/150

Height: 5ft5in

Thank you VERY much NEMOM!!!!
LadyNASDAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Sorry for all your losses; yes, grief can make us eat more. You have a good plan to go with there. I also saw you on the REGAINERS RELOSING thread (see you there). Glad you joined us here (btw, we are the same age too). This is a great place with lots of very supportive people. Keep coming back and enjoy yourself -- that's so important ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-22-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #5  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

LadyN, welcome, glad to have you join us. I suggest you look for a Challenge or Support group to join; small check-in groups make it easier to connect, get involved, and be accountable. We have groups centering around specific diet plans, themes, or age groups, so find one that inspires you and just post to join.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #6  
Changing for good!

S/C/G: 273/ticker/195

Height: 6'1"

Welcome to 3FC and I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey!

My sister is also an RN and gained a good amount of weight as she went through school. I think she still can't accept the fact that she's now obese too, and because of that, she hasn't lost any of her weight in the past 4 years since school ended. (I don't bring it up as it's definitely a sore point with her).

So I think it's fantastic that you've stepped on the scale, owned up to the number, picked a great plan, and are already finding success (out of the 3's and into the 2's already - awesome!).

Keep up the good work!
kirsteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/242/175

Height: 5'4"

Best of luck!!
Chell1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #8  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Welcome to the forum! We're so glad to have you here with us