Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Low fat, low sugar, low sodium, low carb, low-low-low!

What do you try to "stay away from" or only have very occasionally?

For me, it's sugar & sodium. I cut back on carbs, but don't try to stay away from them. I don't worry about low fat so much; in fact, I believe that fat (in good forms) is really good for you. Good for the brain!

But sugar & sodium... those are the two things that are my downfall. The more I eat them, the more I want to eat them. So I tend to have "only occasionally". Not always easy!! But necessary for my success.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I am low carb and low sugar. I only have them one day a week. I use to just eat whatever and everything was fine but now I've been doing this so long (Almost 4 months) that I get sick if I eat too much sugar. I have to stick to mostly carbs if I wanna "cheat". Last weekend I ate ONE hostess orange cupcake and I ACTUALLY vomited 15 minutes later. It made me that sick. Ugh. Won't do that again, lol.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

I have none. That sort of deprivation doesn't work for me, though I realize everyone is different.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:52 AM   #4  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I try to stay low sodium and low simple carbs.
I load up on complex carbs because without them, I drag all day long. I stay away from sodium because it keeps the water weight low.
Simple carbs (like white flour and sugar) makes me feel lethargic. (sp?) the other day I had a cheesecake slice as my weekly treat during lunch and work, I dragged knuckles for the next 2 hours, i couldn't remember feeling so icky...not doing that treat again.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I have been slowly eliminating/lessening sugar, sodium, and white flour. I try to keep to a low carb, low sugar, low sodium, high fiber/protein diet - made up of mainly whole foods.

I have at least one off-plan day a week to get my fixes, though. However, if I overdo it on any of those three things, I feel rotten afterwards - kind of like how I used to feel ALL the time before I started this journey!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #6  

While the body doesn't require sugar, it does require sodium so a little - about 2,300 mg is good.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I have to limit my fruits, oddly enough. More than two a day and I get strangely hungry.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #8  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I don't eat grains, sweeteners, soy, legumes, or dairy. All my carbs come from fruits and vegetables, pretty much. It's strict, but I am super dooper carb sensitive, so if I want to lose at a decent rate, that's what I have to do. It's not that bad once you get used to it, and I feel 1000% better now that I'm not eating grains at all.

Last edited by thistoo; 02-21-2012 at 11:18 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Changing my WOE is in its infancy but my goal is to limit sugar without totally eliminating it. I also would like to do away with simple carbs/white flour. DH's joint pain is much more tolerable without those things, plus it's not good for me. Lead by example!

I also try to pair my carbs with a lean protein. I've found carbs, even complex ones, do not satisfy me nearly as much as protein but I just can't go "low carb."

We'll see how all this pans out and gets tweaked over the next few months though!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #10  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
I have none. That sort of deprivation doesn't work for me, though I realize everyone is different.

F.
That's great! -so what, exactly, did you do in order to lose 50 lb? And how long did it take you to lose it & how long have you been maintaining?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #11  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

the only thing i really try to stay away from is food with a lot of sodium. calories, fat, carbs, sugar, protein, fiber, etc... if i want it, and it fits within my calories for the day, i don't deprive myself. if it's something awful, like high in fat, or sugar or both, i tend to drink a bottle of water (with a crystal light if it's a sweet i'm craving) and then wait 15 mins or so to decide if i still want it. however, i try to aim for high protein or high fiber foods, more so than anything else. i think i'm lucky in that i don't feel like eating certain things triggers cravings for me.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #12  
For my future self!

S/C/G: 187/179/150

Height: 5'4

I WISH that I could stay away from sugar, carbs, and salt. But I don't know what I shouldn't have, except for the obvious deserts like cookies and other deserts. How do you know what you should stay away from. I LOVE fruit, is that "bad sugar"?
VioletBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

Sodium is hard to get a handle on. Seems like everything is high in sodium. I've been working on it for the last few weeks since for some unkown reason, my BP has been going up. Also doctor said to cut down on caffeine as well. And I , or my own sanity, am trying to cut down on sugar. But its hidden in a lot of foods too. You really have to make a concerted effort and read labels.
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I try to stay away from anything overly processed, particularly processed carbs and sugar. I am fine with sugar from fruit. But i stay away from anything high carb (even if not processed) such as potatoes.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #15  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I stay away from sugar completely because it just causes cravings that make me eat irresponsibly. I do low carb and make sure my carbs come from good sources so I never get hungry and always feel good about how I eat. I don't watch fat or protein because they don't affect my weightloss, I just make sure the fat comes from good things.

And that's it
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote