Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/245/150

Height: 5ft5in

Default I do have a question you may know the answer to...

I am in weight loss mode. I am at my all time high on the scale so knowing how many calories it takes for me to start losing weight I wanted to ask this...
How often should I be having my caloric count readjusted while losing weight? I am fast to lose and fast to pack it on. I know that at the beginning the big push down the scale will be in water weight but after that the fat starts to get burned and the question is do I wait until I stall out on the scale and then reassess the calories or just readjust at certain weights?

Thanks for your advice/opinions.
LadyNASDAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Generally, it takes 12-15 calories per pound to maintain. For someone who weighs 100lbs, maintenance calories would be 1200-1500 calories a day. You need a deficit of 500-1000 calories a day to lose 1-2 pounds a week.

I suggest checking out one of the free calorie counter sites (fit day, my fitness pal, fat secret) and plug in your stats.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #3  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

as my understanding goes, you should pick your ideal weight and calculate your calories based on that. then eat this number of calories until you get to that weight. if you are veeeeeeeery faaaaar from your ideal weight, then pick a weight in the middle and calculate daily caloric needs based on that, otherwise you might get too hungry. once you reach it, readjust.
also - it does matter where you get your calories from. if most come from carbs, you will certainly be hungry most of the time and lose slower. if most come from fats and protein, you will lose faster and more permanently without getting too hungry on the way.
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

In my opinion, you should re-calculate your caloric intake about every 10 pound loss.
Koolmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

How are you tracking? Some online trackers and apps automatically re-adjust your calorie allotment if you put in a weight change. (Different trackers use different formulas.) I know that LoseIt does that.
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/245/150

Height: 5ft5in

Thank you all for your opinions. Today is day one. I am all about just staying within my calories today and for the whole of week one. It's been a successful morning thus far, ready for a piece of fruit and not ravenously hungry so for today will probably have a good on Plan day.
LadyNASDAQ is offline   Reply With Quote