Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

Question The fat on your back..

..and under your arms. Does it ever go away?
Im talking about the fat that sticks up in the front over a strapless dress, or sticks out over the bra on the back.
I hate how its always sticking out, and if Im wearing a tight fitted shirt, you can always see it on the back since Im wearing a bra under. You all know what Im talking about right?

For those of you that have lost plenty of weight, does it ever go away? And besides buying shirts that cover it up, is there anything to do to make it look better? and what kind of exercise might help?

Any thoughts would be good..
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #2  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

mine went away within the first 40 lbs! i think a teensy amount is normal, though, and that even tiny women have it in small amounts. i remember my 5'8, 125lbs friend complaining to me about hers, haha. for the most part, it's totally normal and is just skin sticking out.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Isn't that the equivalent of a panty line? I just saw a bra commercial that is said to eliminate those lines and give a smoother bra line.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

There was some interview with Tina Fey somewhere about a scene in "Baby Mama" where she talks about how she watches it and all she can see is her back fat. Tina Fey thinks she has back fat. So yeah, I'd say all bra-wearing women deal with this issue.

Granted, it gets a lot less noticeable as you get smaller. Mine was much less prominent when I got down to 150, but I imagine it'll always be there.

Last edited by thistoo; 02-18-2012 at 07:14 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalksalot View Post
Isn't that the equivalent of a panty line? I just saw a bra commercial that is said to eliminate those lines and give a smoother bra line.
I read somewhere that this problem is caused mainly by women wearing ill fitting bras (and many do). Something like 85% of Australian women - dunno what it is for women elsewhere. That's a really high percentage though.

I was wearing the wrong size bra for at least 6 months until recently.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:40 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious Little View Post
I was wearing the wrong size bra for at least 6 months until recently.
Was it too big or too small? I think its freakin hard to find a bra that fits well. Either it dont fit well around, or the cup size is too big or too small.
All my bras right now is getting too big, so in a few months (or sooner) I'll have to buy new ones. The hardest part is to know what to look for.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/130/120

Height: 5'3

Yes it does go away. If you don't already, start some weight training which will tone you up as your body fat decreases. I used to have fat sticking out over the bra strap too, but now my muscles are visible in my back and arms thanks to a weight training routine. Not my stomach though yet unfortunately!
Rosey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosey85 View Post
Now my muscles are visible in my back and arms thanks to a weight training routine. Not my stomach though yet unfortunately!
Thanks. Yeah, Its seems like the stomach is the last thing to disappear. Hopefully I'll get rid of it one day..
Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #9  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I just read about this.... usually we shed weight from face and boobs first, then tummy and last upper arms and under arm. -- I was looking at pictures of myself when I was 135-140 pounds. I was sitting in a hot tub arms spread out and they were still fat -- But the pictures of me around 125-130 pounds do not have that fat... I am hoping that at my goal weight I will have sleek arms
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #10  
Once and for all

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I know exactly what you ate talking about. Even with a proper fitting bra it still sticks out. I hate it. I have lost 60 pounds and I still have back fat. I tend to gain weight in my upper body first. He rolls have gone down significantly but they are still there. Also, one side is smaller than the other. Ugh
unstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 132/116.6/114

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
Was it too big or too small? I think its freakin hard to find a bra that fits well. Either it dont fit well around, or the cup size is too big or too small.
All my bras right now is getting too big, so in a few months (or sooner) I'll have to buy new ones. The hardest part is to know what to look for.
It was too big. I'd gone down a band size and a cup size and didn't believe it. I thought it had just stretched because it was pretty old. I had been delaying getting a new bra (and other clothing items) you know, just in case...

Now it feels weird wearing a bra that actually fits correctly because I'm not used to it.
Precious Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious Little View Post
It was too big. I'd gone down a band size and a cup size and didn't believe it. I thought it had just stretched because it was pretty old. I had been delaying getting a new bra (and other clothing items) you know, just in case...
All my bras are too big right now. I did try on some new ones today. But none of them looked good on. I think I've figured out what kind of bras I should be buying tho. So when I lose more weight, it should be fun to buy some new sexy ones
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I don't call it "back fat" - I call it "bra fat" - cause it's not there if I'm NOT wearing a bra. So yeah, I'd say that ill-fitting bras are the most likely culprit.

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 02-20-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

That is an ill fitting bra issue. It may not be just size that's the problem, you may need a whole different bra shape. You can see bulges around bras even on tiny people...it's because the bra doesn't fit right. Bras are like jeans and swimsuits, just because it's your size doesn't mean it's your fit, you know? You have to try on a LOT to get the right one.

If you're not wearing something strapless, Spanx tanks smooth out a lot of those issues if you haven't yet found "your" bra. I think Target makes a cheaper knockoff but I've never tried them.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
I don't call it "back fat" - I call it "bra fat" - cause it's not there if I'm NOT wearing a bra. So yeah, I'd say that ill-fitting bras are the most likely culprit.
I didnt really know what to call it. But its there wether I wear a bra or not. But I have been wearing the same type of bra for atleast a year and a half now :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98DaysOfSummer View Post
That is an ill fitting bra issue. It may not be just size that's the problem, you may need a whole different bra shape.
I tried on different bras today, and none of them made it any better. I guess because I've been wearing the same bras for so long, it wont really get better until I find that one bra that does look good..

Not really sure what to do tho. If I find a decent sports bra, and wear that for a while, then maybe the area will change more while Im losing weight? Idk...