General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

View Poll Results: Digital or Mechanical Scale?
Mechanical 3 11.11%
Digital 24 88.89%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #1  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Digital or mechanical scale?

Just curious if you weigh yourself at home, which kind of scale do you use/prefer?
I need to buy a new one on Friday. Ours is really old and is on the fritz.

(I'm leaning towards mechanical but wanted other opinions)
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

I just like digital better. But that's me. I don't think it much matters your scale -- fancy or not it's still going to track changes.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #3  
Pinup extraordinaire!

The only thing I worry about with digital is like the one I have now told me 241, then to test it I stepped on it 2 minutes later and it said 242.2 then I waited a few more minutes and it said 243.8, ours is about a year old though.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #4  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I have both kinds. The mechanical one is hard to see but I just get my DH to look for me. It seems to be accurate against my doctors scale. The digital one is nice for ounces but It weighs me in 3lb heavier, not sure why my mom has the same model and hers weighs me accurate. People say its where you place it, and ours is in our kitchen but this apartment is old and the floor kind of sucks(uneven) so idk. Im not worried about it so long as the pounds go down in the long run and not up lol.
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #5  
Warrior Princess

My digital is a few years old but changes weight on me within a matter of minutes, or it likes to tell me I weigh exactly the same clothes on and off. :/ I'm sick of fighting with that scale and choose to stay off of it until my pants feel more loose. I also need to get a new battery.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/257/157

Height: 5'7"

I voted digital. I have a hard time seeing the exact weight on the mechanical ones (does that make me sound old? I'm only 31! lol) and I like that on the digital scale, I can know my weight within .1 or .2 of a pound.
PinkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #7  
Pinup extraordinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
My digital is a few years old but changes weight on me within a matter of minutes, or it likes to tell me I weigh exactly the same clothes on and off. :/ I'm sick of fighting with that scale and choose to stay off of it until my pants feel more loose. I also need to get a new battery.
That's what I worry about because ours does that too, but I was thinking maybe if I get a higher-end digital I wouldn't have that problem. Mine actually weighed me a pound less with clothes on than without them the other day and I just stood there and laughed AT my scale. hahaha. I do worry about not being able to see the numbers on a mechanical and with WW every ounce counts in my tracker, so it's nice having that.
Everyone seems to be split down the middle on this. Maybe what I'll do is keep the digital one we have now and go buy a cheapish mechanical and see what the difference is between the two.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #8  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I like digital ones because I find it easier to read. Mine is two years old and I haven't had any issues with it.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 AM   #9  
PCOS and Tuesday weigher!

S/C/G: 288/295/175ish?

Height: 5ft4

Digital for me. I have two of them () because the older one is kind of unreliable at times and gives the same sort of readings other people were talking about (as in if you were to step on and off 3 times you'd get 3 totally different readings). Mostly though I keep track of the trend on the newer one so once it's going down it's ok
knoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #10  

digital digital scales are easier to read than mechanical scales
einszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 270/257.4/130

Height: 5.0 Tall

I saw that they had done a comparison of scales and the mechanical ranked the lowest for accuracy. The digital was the best. Weight Watchers was on top but after reading all the negative reviews of the WW scales I decided to go with a brand that's been around for years. I purchased a Health o Meter digital and boy that thing is right on every time I step on it. My old digital (Holmes) was great but it (6 yrs old) was starting to get wacky. My mind was boggled at all the gadgets on a scale, water weight, body fat content, etc. I didn't want that I just wanted to know what I weighed so I went with the cheaper model 19.95 and it works great.
DiabeticDiva is offline   Reply With Quote