40-Somethings - March Madness Challenge

View Full Version : March Madness Challenge

guacamole
02-15-2012, 04:39 PM
All of you 40-Somethings who are looking for the next challenge - here it is! We are looking to challenge ourselves to lose as much weight and get as fit and healthy as we can by Saturday, March 31st 2012!

Everyone who wants to participate should post their goals for what they want to accomplish over the next month and a half. I am pretty loose about the kinds of things people should post to take part in a challenge going forward. If you want to post your daily/weekly weigh-ins, great! If you want to post your menu/food diary for the day, great! If you want to post about your exercise progress, great! If you want to post about the emotional challenges and daily hurdles you are facing, great! However you want to approach this challenge thread is up to you.

Here are my goals -

- Drink at least 6 glasses of water per day.
- Maintain a higher protein and lower carb diet (including lots of green leafy vegetables!).
- No snacking between meals.
- Get in at least 30 minutes of exercise per day.
- Post on 3FC at least once per day - and on this thread at least once per day.
- Lose at least 5lbs (that would put me at 158lbs).

Anyone care to join in? Let's make March the most successful month we have all had yet in 2012! :carrot:

andrew80k
02-16-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm in!! I love March Madness. I'm a College Basketball fan so it fits right in.

Goals for March:

Lose 12 pounds. This should put me low to mid 220's. Hoping this will put me at 25% BF or less.
Eat 6 times a day.
Control my calories. Stay within my limits unless planned otherwise.
Exercise 6 days per week. Run 3, lift 3.
Support others.
Drink more water.

Thanks for starting this Guacamole

guacamole
02-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Andrew - those sound like great goals! I love your energy and determination - it really does inspire me to keep going.

I have a "Holy Gaucamole!" moment to share - today I stepped on the scale to find that I have lost a total of 50lbs today! I have been waiting for this milestone for awhile, so I am excited to finally have made it. My next big milestone will be to get to 149lbs, when I will officially be in a normal BMI range. I am thinking that I might get there sometime in April or May.

Now to stay on track today! Have a great on-plan day, Andrew!

NEMom
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Congrats Guac. 50lbs is HUGE!! You Rock lady.

Count me in for March Madness:
NO SMOKING
Maintain my weight loss
Exercise 7 hours a week
Complete 4 week boot camp that starts Feb. 27
Would love to lose 5 more lbs but I need to keep a positive outlook even if it does not happen!!

kandd416
02-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I couldn't stay away, so I'm joining yet another challenge. Andrew & Guac, you were both so encouraging & supportive. I loved how you updated almost every day. That showed real dedication & motivated me.

Well as of yesterday my weight was 184.2, since I averaged about 1.3 pounds per week, I'm going to set my goal for the end of February at 176, which is 1.3 pounds per week. I also want to try to take my vitamin every day & maintain a calorie deficit every day.

NEMom, I quit smoking in October, well I cheated once or twice a month since then except I have been totally tobacco free all of this year. It's hard & I still get the urges, but I'm getting them way less often than I used to. I wish you all the success in the world on that!

Let's all meet our March goals!

guacamole
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
NEMom - Thanks! :) It actually means a lot to hear praise from someone who has been there done that. You know how challenging this weight loss process is and how much each little milestone counts in encouraging further success.

kandd416 - Glad that you are joining in! I think it will be really helpful to both you and NEMom to have each other for support in your non-smoking efforts too! You can kill two birds with one stone!

Just thought of an upcoming challenge for me...my kids have a long weekend home from school this week (starting tomorrow), and that usually spells disaster for my diet! So, I am going to try to hang on to my current weight with all my might over the next few days.

Here's hoping that we all have a successful day!

guacamole
02-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Good morning, folks! Doing well and staying on track. Had a higher carb dinner and breakfast this morning, but still well within my calorie range as long as I stick to plan today. A total of 2 lb weight loss this week, which for me is great! So, my goal for next week is to up my exercise and stay to my eating plan. This next few days with my kids home will be challenging, but hopefully, I won't do too much damage. I know I will have to be forgiving with myself for going a bit off plan, though.

Good luck, everyone!

kandyrews
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Not sure how well I'll do, since I've already started off by not losing any weight this past week, but here goes.

March Challenge

1. Drink 6 glasses of water a day
2. Exercise 35 minutes a day
3. Keep my calories under 1350
4. Eat healthier
5. Continue to only snack occasionally and on healthy snacks
6. Lose 5 pounds

guacamole
02-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Welcome, kandyrews! Great goals! I went 5 weeks in January/February without losing a single pound! It was awful! However, after staying persistent in my efforts, finally my body let the pounds go and I lost 5 pounds in 1 week! Just keep doing what you are doing...there is no set timetable for weight loss. Everyone loses weight at different rates during the course of their journey. It will happen if you stay the course! :hug:

kandd416
02-17-2012, 02:34 PM
kandyrews, nice to see you again. It's frustrating not seeing the scale move when you know you're doing what you should be. But it will eventually move.

I've discovered that I'm getting pretty compulsive about logging everything that I eat. My husband sometimes gets a little annoyed when I have to jump on the computer in the middle of something, but I want my numbers to be spot on.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

kandyrews
02-17-2012, 06:28 PM
guacamole Thanks, yes I'm not ready to give up yet. I did lose 5 pounds from January to February, it's just February that's dragging, but I'm gonna keep on going & hope that the weight comes off one day.

kandd416 My husband gets annoyed with me too logging all my calories too. He can't believe how serious I take it. lol

guacamole
02-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Hello, everyone. Today is my off plan day, and I didn't do too badly. I definitely don't have that feeling of accomplishment I have at the end of an on-plan day. Feeling kind of blah. Three annoying things happened that are bothering me.

1. My lower back is killing me - it has been hurting for the past 3 days. Sciatica is rearing its ugly head again and I'm not sure why. Lesson learned - still trying to figure it out - it might have been hauling at least 10 laundry bags up and down the stairs throughout the week. However, that's not unusual.

2. On Thursday night I mentioned to my husband that I had a craving for ice cream. By Friday morning, the craving was gone and I was looking forward to moving past it. However, on Friday afternoon he bought me a pint of the ice cream I'd mentioned. Now it is calling my name from the freezer. I ate about 1/4 cup, but the rest is still there. No one else in my family likes this flavor, so unless I throw it away, it's all mine. I know my husband meant well, but for some reason, it's really upsetting me to have that temptation about to derail me. I don't want to hurt his feelings by throwing it away now, but if I can hold off eating it until he goes back to work on Monday, maybe I will toss it then. Lesson learned - never voice aloud my cravings in front of other people - especially my husband.

3. My mother-in-law had yet another talk with my husband about her concern over his weight, and my husband yet again blamed me for not making healthy foods for his lunches or dinners. He says he does fine until he comes home and then overeats on all the "junk" and unhealthy dinners I make. He did this a few months ago and I saw red and started screaming at him. This time, I stayed calm, told him he needed to take responsibility for himself, and told him I was not to blame. I'm still highly annoyed and disgusted. Lesson learned - people will deflect in any way they can to blame their lack of success on someone else. It's easier than having to confront their own failures.

Hope you all had a better day.

Tkkoz
02-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi all, count me in please.

My goals:

1. To lose 5 kilos (11 pounds)
2. To eat breakfast EVERYDAY
3. To drink 6 glasses of water a day
4. To incorporate more exercise into each day
5. To continue to make the healthy choice with food

Best of luck everyone :)

guacamole
02-19-2012, 12:31 AM
Welcome, Tkkoz! Sounds like you have a plan! Glad to have you join in!

Espressowhip
02-19-2012, 08:44 AM
These challenges keep me focused, so I'm in!

My goals aren't ambitious when you consider I've had a 2-month hiatus (thankfully with no gains) from my rigid diet & exercise program.

Getting back to it has already produced some positive results.

By March 31st:

Lose 5 kgs
Take a class at the gym once a week as opposed to solitary work on machines
Get my yogurt intake back to an occasional treat, instead of a daily snack

The latter two will challenge me greatly, so this is enough for the end of March!

Much strength to everyone!

Sum38
02-19-2012, 11:39 AM
March Goals:
1. Drink 70 oz of water a day.
2. 3/31 weight goal 145
3. Follow my pre-planned food plan ~ MFP
4. Walk 20 miles per week.
5. WEIGHTS!
6. Vitamins
7. Each week, have one day when I dress up pretty. Feel good about myself!

------

Valentine's goal; I met most of my goals, but I fell short with water intake, vitamins and weights. I will do better this month :D

guacamole
02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Espressowhip - love the step by step goals! We are all individuals with individual challenges.

Sum38 - Glad to see you here! I really like the one day a week of dressing up pretty!

Well....I caved in to the Ben & Jerry's last night. I ate the whole thing. This whole weekend has pretty much been a bust. It really scares me when I binge and go off track, because I fear I will spiral out of control again. I received more comments about my weight loss this weekend, and I feel like...just wait a few weeks and I'll be fat again. It's like I don't trust myself to stay on plan and it scares me. :(

Espressowhip
02-20-2012, 11:09 AM
One day down... I managed to only have one yogurt last night (as opposed to several). I don't plan to falter on this goal, so maybe it'll be less obnoxious is I only post when/if I fail to keep my goal. :cool:

Although I have to admit that after the stroke of midnight, the Fat-Habits[tm] said, "It's officially the next day, so you could have another."

Espressowhip :1
Fat-habitsl: 0

Espressowhip
02-20-2012, 11:15 AM
I ate the whole thing. ... It's like I don't trust myself to stay on plan and it scares me. :(

It's difficult to learn to trust anyone, least of all yourself. Don't dismiss that trusting yourself has to be earned, the same way trusting someone else who's let you down does.

Make promises to yourself that are healthy, and reasonable, then keep them. Trust will follow.

Next time, and you know there will be a next time, throw it out! Your DH will get over it and you'll feel much more empowered!

"That which is in our power to do, is also in our power not to do."

Don't let one slip up crush you!

Sum38
02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
As of today, I have lost 17 pounds. I finally dipped below 150... I hung in 150-153 range FOR EVER. ~ But I am focusing on the positive; 17 pound loss is nothing to sneeze at :D. I am REALLY hoping to get down to 145 by the end of March. That would bring me to 20 pound loss; half way goal.

All of a sudden my belly has gotten really soft and flappy... I read about another member who was having the same issue. -- So I was doing some research. -- When I was not showing any progress on scale, my measurements were going down (thank goodness; it kept me going).... Anycase, I read that once the fat goes from hard to soft, it is an excellent sign. That means that I have decreased the fat around the organs and this is just fat between my skin and muscle. Unsightly, yes, but healthier for me.

I feel totally motivated to finish this journey.

I hope everyone is sticking to their march goals today! :hug:

guacamole
02-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Sounds like you all are staying on track and seeing progress! Having an ok day today...today is a new day after all. Kids are still home until tomorrow, so I know that food challenges will come up later today too. Looking forward to my schedule returning to normal tomorrow....

I am way too scared to step on the scale...I think I'll give myself a few more days to "recover!" before doing any weigh-ins.

fyreflie24
02-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Yup, I need more challenge! Thank you Guac for starting this! Awesome :D CONGRATS ON 50!!

OK so here are my goals:

* Staying 100% plan as outlined by my nutritionist (which usually means eating MORE than I want to!)

* Moving EVERYDAY and staying on my training plan (which I get Thursday).

* 100oz of water a day.

I'm in :)

fiona46
02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
hey there everyone. i'm in as well. i know its 21 Feb now, so thats a month to lose 2 kilos or maybe a little more.
Tikkoz...i'm in melbourne as well..nice to hear from you.

Goals;
Keep drinking my 6 glasses of water
keep doing low carb and high protein meals
keep avoiding all snacking
keep doing 40-60mins exercise per day
gym class 4 days per week
keep smiling sweetly at my husband when yet again i need to get on the computer to update my stats
keep strong when temptation (in the form of morning teas) strikes!

fyreflie24
02-20-2012, 08:09 PM
It's difficult to learn to trust anyone, least of all yourself. Don't dismiss that trusting yourself has to be earned, the same way trusting someone else who's let you down does.

Make promises to yourself that are healthy, and reasonable, then keep them. Trust will follow.

Next time, and you know there will be a next time, throw it out! Your DH will get over it and you'll feel much more empowered!

"That which is in our power to do, is also in our power not to do."

Don't let one slip up crush you!

Oh, I know the sabotage thing ALL TOO WELL! In my world, it's called exercise :)

When I was able to get to the point where I said, not I *can't* have this but I don't WANT this, then the power shifted. *I* had the power over the food, and not the other way around. Slip ups only become an issue when they grow up into a way of life. I took the last two weeks of December off because we were back home and I was kinda freaked about it because I was up a little but I watched it and by Jan 7th I was at my preXmas weight and back on track. Absolutely, we have to learn to trust ourselves and believe in ourselves. I just got a ring from Endorphin Warrior that says 'believe' for this very reason. You got this!

traveling michele
02-20-2012, 09:10 PM
I'd love to join in. Even though I'm a maintainer, I seem to need constant reminding, or I start to slack in my efforts. I haven't been tracking and my weight has gone up about 5 pounds.

Goals:
1. Track all of my foods everyday
2. Don't buy the foods I can't control myself around even if they're healthy (lately it's been red grapes).
3. Continue to exercise at least 6 days a week
4. Lose the five pounds I "found".
5. Drink at least 64 oz. daily

kuchick
02-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Mind if I "pop in" every once in awhile? Just became a 40-something this month. I'm finding that I need better goals than just losing weight. It's so slow lately that I end up feeling like a failure even when I'm on plan. I do need to concentrate on drinking more water though. I blacked out in my kitchen this morning after 45 minutes on the elliptical. I think I was dehydrated, but scared the heck out of my kids and I don't want a repeat. So here are my goals, and as long I stick with them, I'm not failing!

- Drink 64 oz of water per day (usually add lemonade Crystal Lite though)
- No unplanned snacking
- 45 minutes on the elliptical 5 times a week (take water downstairs with me)
- eat under 1400 calories per day
- Keep posting regularly

Tkkoz
02-21-2012, 03:13 AM
This week i am doing very well with all goals :carrot: im eating breakfast, drinking water (not quite enough though), making good food choices and using the dreadmill :) hopefully it shows on the scale!

Work is evening out now the students have settled in, which means i am not so stressed and am not reaching for red frogs (lollies).

Hey fiona46, you are the first aussie ive come across on here, good luck!

Have a great week all :)

Espressowhip
02-21-2012, 06:03 AM
I agree FyreFlie, that shift in taking power, or breaking the habit of slip-ups, is such a powerful turning point!

I didn't have ANY yogurt last night, even though there are 3 of them in the fridge! I'm thankful that my high-risk food isn't really all that damaging, and still, I have a long way to go, so every calorie needs vigilance!

I truly credit just joining this thread for keeping me on track with my yogurt consumption!

What Kuchick wrote, I was thinking about that the other day, or rather, remembering when I was younger and losing 10lbs was just a matter of eating fewer french fries during the week! When we get older, losing weight doesn't become more difficult, but breaking our fat eating habits does!

I hope you guys are doing well!

Careful with the black outs - you might want to see a doctor, it could be serious, and you don't want to mess around with that!

Sum38
02-21-2012, 09:05 AM
I stayed OP all day. Actually I meant to eat more, but I just was not hungry.

I ended at 1400 cal. I took a 9.5 mile walk.

I drank my water, but forgot to take my vitamins.

Scale was down another 1.5 pounds, which brings me down to 146.5...another 1.5 pounds and I have lost 1/2 of the weight I want to shed :) I may hit that 145 by the end of Feb :D and then i will adjust my March weight goal.

kandd416
02-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Great job everyone!

Today was my weigh in day & the scale was up 1 pound. It's a little frustrating when I know I've been totally on plan. But that means it's either hormonal or water weight. And as bloated as I'm feeling, I'm guessing water weight.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Kim

Sum38
02-21-2012, 09:34 AM
Hi Kim,

Ugh; I hate water weight :mad:

By the way, I am from MI as well :D

fyreflie24
02-21-2012, 10:21 AM
Well I'm all full of myself because I had a training appointment yesterday, which usually kill me, and then took a yoga class last night... I think the yoga really helped with the usual post training session soreness because I feel better than usual today! I really need to focus on workouts so this felt pretty good :)

Have a great day!

guacamole
02-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Hi, everyone! I woke up very sore this morning, as I have for the past week. My lower back is killing me and makes me want to lay in bed all day. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I think I need to see a doctor. I have shooting pains going down both of my legs.

ETA - My husband has been nagging me to see a doctor, but honestly, I have had my fill of doctors telling me that the cure is to lose weight! I know that if I were thinner, I probably wouldn't be having this back pain, but I can't magically take off 30-40 pounds in a week. When I was at my heaviest and having multiple health issues, I got so tired of doctors treating me as if my illnesses were my fault. I really don't think hearing another "professional opinion" that my weight is the culprit is worth the co-pay and my time! However, my husband said it could be arthritis or disc compression and I might need a cortisone shot or even surgery - so I should go. Ugh! Anyone else hate seeing doctors when they are overweight?

Here's hoping you all are doing better than me!

NEMom
02-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Guac-Go to the doctor please. This does not sound good.

I am still working on no smoking. Getting my food on track this week after a not so good weekend but my scale is up 2lbs. Ick.

kuchick
02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Still here. Did my workout today with no fainting - yay! Think I was dehydrated and low on iron yesterday. Made sure to take my water with me to the basement so I wouldn't have to wait til after and it seemed to work. Only 32 oz water today but 42 oz of Diet Coke (large from McD's - love their drinks and hate their food). Obviously need to work on that! Scale was up a little today, but so what? I know I was dehydrated when I weighed in yesterday, so to be expected that it would go up again. Calories are on track to stay under 1400 - pasta tonight but I always cheat more than a serving onto DH's plate and less than a serving onto mine. He's 6' and needs more calories than I do so it evens out. Then I add asparagus to my pasta and it looks like we're eating the same amount of food. Silly trick, but it works for me.

kuchick
02-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Guacomole - at 162 for your height, your doctor probably won't say anything about your weight. I was 152 (I'm shorter than you) the last time I went and my doctor was thrilled with my weight and didn't even seem to care if I lost more. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Espressowhip
02-22-2012, 06:06 AM
My doctor use to have complete disdain for me. Even a sore throat got blamed on my weight. It was ridiculous! Since I started losing, she's become incredibly supportive. Keep in mind, she knew me at my normal weight, what I saw as disdain, was probably unprofessionally conveyed concern.

No yogurt again last night, my calories have remained below 1210, and exercise is the usual grind (which I enjoy). But I only have 3 days left to work in a class! Will I or won't I? Hmm... the suspense is mounting!

The scale has been going in the right direction, so this week's weigh in is already primed to make me very happy!

Sum38
02-22-2012, 07:30 AM
I love my doctor. -- She, herself carries a few extra pounds. She was pleased when I had lost my first 10 pounds, I can't wait to see her again at 20-25 pound loss. -- She is the only doctor I have felt comfortable with; I feel I can truly open up to her.

kandd416
02-22-2012, 08:41 AM
This morning I weighed myself & am down another pound. 2 pounds in 2 days. So I am now back to exactly what my weight was last week. Obviously water weight. But I'm hoping I can lose another pound tonight. Ha! I'm being greedy now.

This gain has me wondering, does anyone see some type of gain before a loss? I've been reading someone's diet blog & it seems like that happens for her, but I've never really tracked my weight close enough to notice a cycle. I have started to weigh myself daily to see if there is any type of pattern, but it will probably take a few months to see.

Kristiina, what part of Michigan are you from? I'm in Van Buren Twp. (Belleville area). My doctor of 10 years just moved out of state, I've tried a new one, but Dr. David Scott was the best!

NEMom, keep working on the not smoking. It's hard I know, but you can do it!

Guac, I agree. Get yourself to a doctor. Pain like that is not normal!

Have a great day.

Kim

guacamole
02-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi, guys! Thanks for all your concern. I do have an appointment on Friday morning. Blah! I'm not expecting any miracle cures.

kandd416 - Congrats on the 2 lb loss! Sometimes I gain during PMS/TOM and then lose when it is over. Also, sometimes if I exercise hard for a few weeks, and then take a break, I lose a few pounds. Although, I might be losing muscle mass or retained water instead of fat.

I'm doing ok with my diet, although I haven't weighed myself since last week before my long weekend with the kids. Strangely, I feel bloated and kind of PMSy even though I am not due to get my period for another 1 1/2-2 weeks? Ugh. I guess I am just achy in general with my back.

Have a great day, everyone!

fyreflie24
02-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Kim, that's an interesting thought and I think I might have that pattern! I know I fluctuate all over the place during the course of a week even when I've controlled for sodium etc. Keep us posted on that, I'd be interested to see what you find :)

Hope everyone's having a great week!

Zumbachica
02-22-2012, 05:11 PM
HELLO!!!!! I didn't do well in the Valentine's Challenge although I didn't have a major gain either. I'm ready and willing to try this shizznit again...Just booked a vacation for April so now I have extra incentive to get back into shape. When I say back into shape I don't mean some major weight loss , but rather a healthier body with more muscle tone. I also strongly believe in the mind/body connection and I want a healthier mind now that I'm under extreme stress due to some personal stuff going on in my life. I don't just want to survive in life, I want to live well. My goals:

1. More water and take my supplements; daily.
2. weight lifting twice a week
3. cardio 5 days a week.
4. yoga twice a week
5. less carbs. Nothing white (bread, rice, pasta).
6. NO SUGAR

Would like to lose 7 lbs.

fiona46
02-23-2012, 06:05 AM
hey everyone.
Looks like everyone is sticking to their goals pretty closely. i have been like glue to mine...and not seeing much of a weight loss at all....bummer !!
Guac....i had back pain as well, since november...horrible horrible horrible..when the doc asked me about my weight i was at least able to say i'd started to lose..she left it at that thankfully. Keep us posted on what the doc says okay?
Kuchic... well done for drinking more water...by the way..have u had ur blood pressure taken lately? mine is very low..108 / 69 and i have to watch out for dizzy spells all the time.

weight today was 68.3 kgs.- 150.3 pounds.
Will stay true to myself and my goal for march !!!

Sum38
02-23-2012, 07:54 AM
guacamole; This may sound like a silly question, but do you see chiropractor? I was in terrible back pain latter part of this past year and after 2 months of chiro treatments I am feeling great.

Kim I am from Lake Orion, Palace area :)

My past two days have been meh... I have been cooking too much (I fill freezer) and I keep sampling it all. I think TOM is near and I have no will power.

guacamole
02-23-2012, 10:59 AM
fyreflie24 - the sodium intake question is something I have been thinking about. I have been eating more sodium than usual this week and been feeling bloated and PMSy even though it isn't my time. I stepped on the scale this morning to find myself up 3 lbs! Ugh. I also haven't been as strict with carb intake this week. My husband bought a bag of mini whole wheat pitas, and I ate them all over the course of a few days. Even though I really don't enjoy low carbing...I was strict the last few weeks and lost weight. I am going to have to get back on track.

Zumbachica - Glad to have you joining in! Looks like you have some well thought out goals!

fiona46 - Good for you for staying on plan! The scale will cooperate soon if you keep going. I am going to the doc tomorrow....not looking forward to it. I am bracing myself for the "losing weight" prescription.

Sum38 - I do not see a chiropractor, but have considered it. I'll see what the verdict is at the doctor first to rule out any medical condition.

Good luck today, everyone!

kuchick
02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Fiona - I used to have low blood pressure, but lately anytime it's checked it's been closer to "normal". My blood pressure seems to drop easily though - I annoyed 3 anesthesiologists (sp?) at 3 C-sections by blacking out at the first one and then the other 2 swore that they were doing something magical and different that would prevent that from happening again and both times I fainted on the table before I even made it to the operating room. Apparently epidurals and spinals really knock me out. I just need to pay more attention to my body's signals really. I'd been tired for the last 2 days (low iron) and I didn't drink anything before or during my workout.

Oops - gotta go - have a sick kid at school...

andrew80k
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm still on my program, though I'll admit yesterday I was very bad. Very bad. I ate nearly everything in sight. If I could've gotten the kitchen sink out of the counter top I would've eaten that. I'm not sure why, I've been really good about staying on my plan. Not sure if I was feeling deprived or what. Fortunately it was just one day so today I'm resisting everything out of principal. Good to see all of you sticking with the challenge.

Guac DW has a lot of back trouble and the chiropractor helps her a lot.

Sum38
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Sound good guacamole. -- I had a few happenings that caused my back pain. I was a ballerina and my partner dropped me and my last vertebrae fused onto my tailbone (I did not know at the time it was broken; 30 years ago we had to work through pain...lol)...so my spine is always crooked. I was also in a car crash in my yearly 20's; a lady blew a red light and hit me directly on driver's side door and I got messed up from that. -- Doctors have always sent me to physical therapy, which I found totally useless for me; at the time I was in excellent shape and the strenght training they had me do, was not helping my back; that is when i turned into chiropractic care and it changed my life. -- I have been lucky to find good chiros... had a few bad ones, but the one I have, I adore him. He always spends a nice amount of time on my back and works on the tight muscles as well.... Good luck, and I hope it is just something minor!!

I always had super low blood pressure, I mean 60/30 kind until I hit my highest weight. One night I drove myself to urgent care because I thought i was having an heart attack...it was something like 220/120. They had heck of a time bringing it down. -- My dr. put me on meds, and as time goes by and as my weight have decreased, my BP is getting pressure. I am taking only 1/2 doze now and perhaps one day I could totally get off the meds. -- It is amazing what a little weight loss can do....

As for me; I am having a better day today. I dragged my (big) butt out the door and went for a walk. I walked 7 miles at 4.1 mph speed. I love walking. Spring is approaching and it was sunny.

My eating has been better today. Boy I packed on too many calories during the last 2 days; let's hope that my extended spike days actually reward me :D -- I am having a veggie and fruit day today. I will aim for 1400 calories.

Sorry about the novel ladies :D

Sum38
02-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Fiona My kids are Australian :) -- My Dh was born in Australia. I was born in Finland, and my kids are Finnish as well and of course American because they were born here. -- Our wish is to go to Australia, one of these years.

andrew80k You and I both...Wednesdays are always bad food days for me; I blame because the kids have late start and my schedule is off... I hope today is better for you!

kuchick I hope your baby is feeling better soon! My baby was sick last week -- we were in CO on a ski vacation :( He had to skip a few days of boarding, he was so :mad::mad::mad::mad: 'Tis the season :(

Zumbachica Where are you going? Somewhere warm? We will keep you motivated by reminding you about that vaca :D:D

Espressowhip :carrot::carrot: for you FAB week!

:wave: NEMom and fyreflie24 and anyone else I missed! :hug:

Espressowhip
02-24-2012, 06:59 AM
Sounds pretty good everyone!

I had two yogurts yesterday evening, but somehow it didn't feel terrible. Total "damage": 116 cals/2g/fat 18g/carb. That's only 3 yogurts since Sunday, so I'm feeling pretty good about this week.

I had two days of higher-than-usual sodium meals, though, shameful, I know! Hopefully the water retention from it clears out by my weigh-in tomorrow.

I have had a monster headache 3 days this week so taking a class at the gym doesn't look likely, since I won't even go there with this headache. I wonder what my excuse next week will be!?!

Everyone keep up the good work! And keep posting- it's really encouraging to read what everyone is up to!

Sum38
02-25-2012, 01:49 AM
I saw this on MFP; I thought it was great!

Eat less crap:
C - carbonated drinks
R- refined sugars
A - artificial sweeteners & colors
P - processed foods

Eat more food:
F - fruits & veggies
O - organic lean protein (organic is not important)
O - omega 3 fatty acids
D - drink water

Espressowhip
02-25-2012, 07:05 AM
@Sum38 I like that!

My friends and family (in Cali) were baffled that I was content to drink water (I hadn't been there in 3 years). It's not like we drink a lot of soda in Europe, but it was more a matter of, "How on earth can you be satisfied with just drinking water?" It's very amusing actually! How could I not be satisfied with putting something good in my body, which my body both needs and uses efficiently, and which doesn't put me into a sugar coma?!

I didn't make it to the gym on Thursday and Friday because of the headache. There's always next week for a class, and I only missed one workout day in total, so it's no biggie there. The whole point of planning 4 days, is so that missing a day won't feel like a failure. This is a life-long project, after all!

Weigh-in today: - 1.5 kgs, or - 3.3 lbs this week! :broc:

Yogurt may not be so evil, and still, the amount I consume sure makes a difference on the scale.

Boy! I sure needed a good week for my motivation! :woohoo:

fiona46
02-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Hi all

... Well done Guac....good luck at the docs.

hmmmm sodium...salt right? never thought about it affecting weight loss. I will do a meal diary starting from today to see how much i'm eating, as i've felt bloated most of the week.

fiona46
02-25-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi all

Just went on mydailyplate am not eating enough calories. Maybe thats why i'm not losing any weight. I exercise most every day (brisk 6.2k) walk.

So...have upped the anti this morning...2 pieces of wholegrain toast with a poached egg. and 2 cups of water.

Goal this week...keep the calories up
exercise every day
drink all my water
no weighing till next week!!

guacamole
02-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi, guys. Couldn't log in to 3FC at all on Friday - guess the site was having issues?

The doc prescribed a 5 day course of steroids - I'm on day 2. Feeling kind of icky...but it might be psychological because I don't like taking any medications. I have an MRI set up for this Friday, and a physical therapy consult for this Thursday, and a follow-up doc visit the week after. He thinks I have a slipped disc and possible spinal stenosis. The MRI will determine how advanced it is and if I need surgery or if it can be managed by physical therapy.

Feeling pretty down.... I wanted to up my exercise and start a routine to help my weight loss...it's on hold for now. I feel like I am gaining weight by the moment....

GemIAm
02-26-2012, 12:39 AM
New to this thread, but I like the idea of sticking to goals with a bunch of 40-somethings...

My March Madness Goals:
Drink 8 glasses of water/herbal tea daily
Keep on my eating plan
Avoid "sampling" sips of my hubby's beer
Walk at lunch 3x week
Do my PT exercises for my right shoulder each day
Do yoga at least 2x week
Right: and drop at least 15:lifter: lbs!

Espressowhip
02-26-2012, 07:12 AM
@Fiona I also (use to) have trouble keeping my calories up. I added protein drinks to my diet. I use a brand called Scitech, commonly available worldwide, it mixes without clumping, and the chocolate is very chocolately & for me taste was the most important thing with a drink mix.

They also come in individual packets, so you can try it before you commit to a big ole canister of it.

It keeps my energy levels up, my calories up, and I get to have chocolate every day - which alone, is motivation enough for me to drink them. :cool:

Beverage10
02-26-2012, 09:59 AM
Hi All,

Just joined 3FC this morning, what a great site for some inspiration!

My goals for March:

1. Reduce my diet soda intake
2. Reduce the stress eating I do between client calls at my home office.
3. Eat better at restaurants.
4. Get into the 180's (stuck in the 190's for 6 months) I am only 3 pounds away but for some reason I can't do it.
5. Continue the 3-4 times a week exercise

I will report back any progress

guacamole
02-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Welcome to all the new March Madness participants! This weekend's eating so far hasn't been great, but it's been worse before. PMS is rearing its ugly head and my back is still smarting. The weather is cold and there is a layer of snow and ice on the ground. I am ready for Spring to arrive!

Lately, I am moving like a turtle. It seems to take me twice as long to get ready in the morning. This morning I was supposed to drive my son school and pick up another family on the way. We took so long getting out of the house that they left without us! I felt bad, but in the end we all made it there on time. Every movement is pain. I hope the steroids kick in soon.

Zumbachica
02-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Oh my goodness Guac!! So sorry that you have been in pain. I hope that treatment helps you soon!!!

I have had a bad week or so. Lost focus which is easy to do when under stress the way that I am because of personal junk going on. I am trying to remind myself that gaining weight will just make me unhappier.

What has happene to Natamars? Is she in this challenge?

I look forward to turning a new leaf tomorrow....I am going to Universal with my kids in April and I'd like to feel good in my clothes. (and bathing suit).

Look forward to posting here and reading everyone else's posts for inspiration.

traveling michele
02-26-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm doing well so far with the challenge. I've been tracking all of my food for a week and the scale is cooperating! Hooray! I'm wondering how much a pint of blood weighs though??? I donated blood yesterday, and the scale was down over 2 pounds this morning. I'll see what happens tomorrow.

Great job to everyone else!!

Zumbachica
02-27-2012, 12:43 AM
A pint is not a lb. Think of a pint sized container of milk....a lb is 16 oz. So your loss is definitley all from giving blood ;)

Espressowhip
02-27-2012, 05:58 AM
A US pint is 16oz, and yes, 16oz is indeed a pound.

Zumbachica, are you possibly thinking of a quart of milk and comparing that to the half-pint of milk they give to children at school?

According to the Red Cross, it takes 48 hours for your body to replenish the blood you donate. They also say, "You won't notice any physical changes." Whatever that means to how much you weigh is anyone's guess.

But you wrote that it was a good week - maybe you simply lost weight! And to that I say - YAY!!:carrot:

This reminds me of a conversation me and my pal had recently about obsessing over seeing changes on the scale...and how we will weigh ourselves after going number 2. We figured we can't be the only two women who do such things... we went on to compare other times when we might weigh ourselves and when not, and donating blood is definitely a situation we didn't consider! lol!

Sum38
02-27-2012, 08:32 AM
Good Morning ladies!

Another 1 1/2 pounds of water weight gone. Oh why oh why, did I slip so bad last week. :?: -- I am up still 3 pounds from last Monday :o (all time low during this weighloss round). TOM should be here any day, so I know I am up a bit because of it, as well.

I had a great weekend. I did a 24 hour fast on Saturday; just to cut my eating cycle. Sunday I did all veggie and fruit day; I allowed myself some rice noodles for dinner and some chocolate chips in my (homemade) trail mix as a snack. I ended up at 1465 calories for the day.

I drank over 10 glasses of water and took my vitamins and walked 5 miles on Sunday. So back on track :carrot:

Today, I am keeping up my water intake, walking 7 miles. I am aiming for higher protein day today, around 1500 calories.

traveling michele Congrats on staying OP! And thank you for donating blood! (You may be a bit dehydrated from it as well).

Zumbachica Sorry about your bad week :hug: I had one as well...I asked myself if I felt "good" after my horrid eating and the answer was simply no. This time I have decided, I am better than this. I deserve to get back in shape. -- So let's do it together this week! OP all the way! And just think of that bikini....:D

guacamole Oh bummer!!! I hope MRI will bring some answers! Back ache is the worst!!

Beverage10 :welcome: Lots of great support and accountability here!

GemIAm We are fab in our 40's :D:D Welcome!

fiona46 I upped my calories as well. I think I was eating too little (well not last week :rofl:) -- I started cycling different days; one day all fruits and veggies (with guacamole and olive oil for calories), next day high protein day...usually between 1400-1500 calories. I dropped 5 pounds after two weeks...I had stalled 6 weeks prior. I use myfitnesspal.com...if you are there, feel free to add me as your friend.:)

Espressowhip AWESOME...3.3!!!:carrot::carrot::carrot:

Anyone else I forgot :wave:

Everyone have a fab day!

guacamole
02-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Glad that everyone is on track! I kind of feel like I am slipping off plan and becoming bedridden and housebound because of my back. I'm not eating too horribly, but definitely had off-plan foods, although I have basically stayed within calorie range. Hopefully, my eating will get back on track this week even if my exercise won't.

Good luck, everyone!

guacamole
02-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Just wanted to do a quick share about my dinner - because it was so yummy!

I broiled salmon with Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb, pepper, and paprika. I made cucumber dill sauce by blending together 1 cucumber, 1/4 cup light mayo, dill weed (used the dry spice because I didn't have fresh), pepper, and Mrs. Dash Original. I put the salmon on a bed of spinach (1 cup) and poured some of the cucumber dill sauce over the whole thing (maybe about 3 or 4 tablespoons). Yummy, filling, and easy! I plugged it into my calorie program and it came back:

Calories - 327
Carbs - 6
Fat - 25
Protein - 20

I still have over 700 calories to use. Maybe some fruit or yogurt in a bit....

Zumbachica
02-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Well, I'm down a lb. and a half from yesterday, probably because of being bloated yesterday. Still, I know that I am so NOT near where I want to be....its sad really that I wound up in this place after working so hard to lose ten lbs last year.

I hear a lot of buzz about the Paleo diet...anyone know what this is? I also hear about gluten free even if you don't have celiac disease. I"m just not sure what my plan is for trying to lose this time. I just can't get back on the Atkins diet like I should.....and winging it obviously isn't working. I feel kind of helpless, like I can't do this on my own right now.

kandd416
02-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Hey everyone. Had my WI today and am at 184.2. That's now 18 days of being on plan & stuck right around 184. It gets pretty frustrating.

I know that it's probably just because I've added weights to my workout & am building muscle, and I know I've actually lost inches in the last two weeks. But....................... I want the stupid scale to move down. I swear I hear it giggling every day. LOL

Vent is over now.

Guac, hope you're feeling better. Zumba congrats on your loss. It's downward movement, no matter how small. Don't get discouraged. Kristiina, great job on getting back on track. We will all stumble, it's just dusting ourselves back off & getting back to work that counts.

Everyone else, keep up the good work & keep moving.

Kim

andrew80k
02-28-2012, 10:47 AM
So I'm still on track for my goals. I've lost 3 pounds since the V-day challenge ended with 7 more to go in a month. I should be able to make that, but I've definitely slowed my progress through my lousing eating the last week.

So, I was reading some of the other posts and while it's close, 16 oz of volume of water doesn't weigh 1 pound. I know it's confusing but volume is not the same as weight and 16 ounces of water actually weighs a little more than a pound. 1.040 pounds (at sea level, 25 degrees celcius). Now that might seem like hair splitting but if you drink a gallon of water, that actually weighs 8 and 1/3 pounds.

guacamole
02-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Hello, everyone! Nice to see everyone participating and trying! That is a success in and of itself. TOM came early this month - Ugh! On the upside, I am down to 163lbs (from 165 of bloat last week) - on the downside I am still losing and gaining the same 4 or 5 lbs and can't get past 162, so it's not real progress. Hopefully, in a few days when TOM is over I'll start losing again. I need to get into the 150s already!

Went for my MRI today and it did not show spinal stenosis or a bulging disc - which is great! It did show that I have some kind of a small growth at the base of my spinal cord that might be responsible for nerve pain. I am probably going to have to go back for another MRI with contrast dye this time. I also have an appointment with a neurosurgeon later this week. I hate going to the doctor! In the meantime, I am still in pain, and on the last few pills of my steroid treatment.

On the way back from the MRI my husband and I went for breakfast. Let's just say I have about 500 calories left for today.... I hate it when that happens!

Good luck today, everyone.

Zumbachica
02-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Guac, I am not a doctor but I have heard from many that taking steroids can halt the weight loss process..so try and cut yourself a break. I hope that they get to the root of your problem and you can be pain free soon.....

Andrew thanks for explaining the 16 oz vs. lb. thing, I always wondered about that.

Kim...when you start lifting weights your muscles hold on to glycogen...inflammation happens....muscles hold water ...keep lifting and you'll see the results you want to see soon!!!

cldwv
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm in. My goal is the same - to reach 199 by the end of March. I think it's doable. Being more active and exercising every night is my secondary goal.

guacamole
02-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Welcome, cldwv! Good luck on your goals.

Zumbachica - I have thought about what the steroids will do to me this week - between TOM and steroids? Oh boy. I'll just try and stay on my eating plan to the best of my ability and hope to get through it. I'm more worried about the longer term effects of not moving and staying in bed so much.

The latest news is that they think I have an ependymoma of the L1 (vertebra) - a benign lesion, but will likely need to be removed surgically. I will know more after my next MRI and doctor's appointment with the neurosurgeon on Thursday.

Thanks for your concern!

Espressowhip
02-29-2012, 06:39 AM
I had kinda a bad night last night, not really bad - no cake or ice-cream or anything like that, but I was disappointed that I didn't try harder to talk myself out of eating more than I should. Something poked at an emotional soft-point, so I know why it happened, I simply regret that I didn't fight harder against it.

It's been 10 days since I started this challenge and I've had 10 yogurts, which although is an improvement, still isn't optimal. And I haven't been to a class yet, in spite of removing the obstacles which "seem" to prevent me from attending. There might be more to this than meets the eye.

I keep forgetting to weigh myself before my morning coffee/water, so I can't give a mid-week update on my weight-loss goal -but I've been working out as usual, and I feel good, so I trust things are continuing to move in the right direction!

Oh...feel good! Feel GREAT! My next goal size - 18W, fits much more comfortably this week than it did last week! Exceedingly happy about that! I'm a firm believer that just because you can stretch fabric across your body, does not mean it fits and can be worn out of the house...so these aren't ready for public viewing just yet...but they are getting closer...YAY! :broc:

guacamole
02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Espressowhip - try not to be too hard on yourself! We all have those moments. As far as the yogurt goes, yogurt is healthy for you in moderation. What kind of yogurt do you eat? If you are eating a high sugar/calorie kind, maybe you can switch it over to Greek yogurt or another healthier variety? Take away the guilt but still get the enjoyment - plus the calcium!

I also follow the rule that just because an item of clothing can be stretched over me and pried shut, does not mean I should be wearing it in public! :o
However, when I have an item like that in my closet, it does serve as an incentive to periodically try it on at home to see if it is getting looser! It is a great visualization technique to imagine myself wearing the item and having it fit perfectly.

I am still hanging in there and doing what I can with my back - carpools, cooking, light straightening up. I have been sticking within my calorie range, although my carbs were higher than I wanted them to be yesterday, thanks to breakfast with my hubby - but it was worth it!

Tomorrow I have a day filled with a 2 hour MRI and a doctors visit. Ugh. I will enjoy the relaxation of being at home today.

Hang in there, everyone.

andrew80k
02-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Guac I hate that you're having so many health issues. That makes everything else that much more challenging. And weight loss is already that. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Espresso Failure is not falling down, it's not getting back up. You sound like you're making great progress. There will always be little challenges. Keep working at making good decisions that get you closer to your goal. You will get there. Just stay focused. That great feeling you get when you see progress only comes when you make those good decisions that get you closer to your goal. Good luck!

Kim What is your plan? What sort of exercise are you doing? Getting stuck sux. Are you counting calories?

Zumbachica
02-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Guac try and enjoy your day off.....funny how we take household chores and being able to do them for granted until we're not able to do them!! I was on bed rest when I was pregnant and just wanted to get up and clean the house, never thought laying down would get "old"....lol....I hope you get some promising news at the docs tomorrow.

Well today is my day "off" which means tons of housework and office work to do......The scale isn't my friend today, but I'm back at square one and I have my work cut out for me to try and get back into fat burning mode. I turned to food for comfort again and I need to really get to the source of why I do that and stop it...because otherwise I'll never be successful.......not having clothes that fit isn't helping my state of mind.....and I can't afford to buy new things..and quite frankly I don't want to...
Well I know that I am rambling on but maybe that's what I need to do this morning....time to get started on this super busy day....have a good one everybody!!

Sum38
02-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Hello ladies;

We are having a real yucky day; we had an ice storm last night.

I am staying within my calories but I am not feeling good about my choices. -- Having TOM really sucks. Being 44 yrs old; it seems to rule my life 2 weeks out of 4; with cravings, bloat, ovulation..... I can't wait to be done!

Weight is hovering around 150. I seem to have lost some of my drive, but as long as I don't gain, I am okay with it, for now. Maybe I need a mental break.

Zumbachica Why is it that many of us women seek comfort from food? I wish I could get hypnotized and leave these cravings behind. Life would be so much easier... I hope today is a better day :hug:

Guacamole I hope your 2nd MRI will bring some good news and a treatment plan. I have been thinking about you!

Espressowhip I AGREE! Just because things have stretch they don't always fit :D I am a huge snob what comes to ill fitting clothing. BUT, the feeling about how something fit last week vs this week, and especially when it fits better, is amazing. -- Making progress girl!

andrew80k 3 pounds is fantastic! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

cldwv Every step counts. Do you have a pedometer?

kandd416 I was stuck for 6 weeks. It sucks...but I took measurements and they were going down and it got me going. Do you measure? :hug: You will get your drop and it will feel glorious!

Everyone have a fab day :)

cldwv
02-29-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm not a huge TV watcher but tuned into The Biggest Loser last night out of boredom. How do those people lose so much weight in one week? Also, something really annoying, I swear the people who weigh less than me on that show look bigger than me. I wonder if it's the 10 lb. television weight they talk about or am I totally delusional?!

andrew80k
02-29-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm not a huge TV watcher but tuned into The Biggest Loser last night out of boredom. How do those people lose so much weight in one week? Also, something really annoying, I swear the people who weigh less than me on that show look bigger than me. I wonder if it's the 10 lb. television weight they talk about or am I totally delusional?!

When you have a LOT of weight to lose, in the initial stages weight loss can be really fast. Oftentimes a really obese person has a fair amount of muscle under the fat due to the sheer effort of packing around the weight. This can be useful in the beginning to help kick start fat burn. A certain amount of it is water weight as well. It slows down a lot as the process goes on though.

Espressowhip
03-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the support, but perhaps I overstated. The day in question I had 230 calorie dinner at 5pm, then the same meal again at 11pm - total calories for the day was only 1527. The yogurt is 58 cals and 1g fat/9g carbs, also not damaging, but when I eat 5 of them in one sitting, it adds up, and that's the behavior I'm trying to change. 10 yogurts in 10 days is an improvement! But again, thanks for the encouraging words!

I remembered to weigh in before coffee/water, and even after a hard workout yesterday from which my muscles are on fire trying to recover (retaining water), I'm down .4kg, which is almost a pound. I think my Saturday weigh-in will be right on point!

kandd416
03-01-2012, 09:13 AM
I am so glad I joined this challenge. Everyone here is so supportive. I almost didn't because I had already joined a couple of other challenges, one which ends a week after this onel, but I'm very glad I did.

Andrew, I don't have an actual plan, just tracking the calories I eat & the calories I burn (I'm still in love with my BodyBugg). The first month I lost 5 pounds with diet alone, but the second month it didn't seem to be working as well. Four days ago my weight bounced back up to my starting weight for February. Over the last three days I've lost 3.4 pounds, so I know the weight gain was probably water. But 8 pounds in 7 weeks is pretty good, so yay me!

Kristiina, I actually did start taking measurments in January. I think that really helped me keep my motivation when I wasn't seeing any loss on the scale. It was pretty cool to see between 2/14 & 2/28 I lost 4.5 inches, even if the scale wasn't showing a loss.

Andrew, I'm seeing a 19 lb. loss on your ticker. So close to that 20 pound mark. That's a huge milestone & I can't wait to see you smash it.

Guac, I'm glad that you're keeping yourself motivated, but don't push yourself too hard. Even if you see a gain don't worry about it. In fact, until you're all good, maybe stop weighing yourself. Those steroids can do crazy things with your weight.

Hope everyone else has a great OP day.

Kim

Sum38
03-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I am glad you are here as well Kim :hug:

Guacamole; I saw that you did/do/have done IF. Are you still doing it? Do you fast 2x week and eat only certain times? -- I have a huge problem when I "free eat" (lol...like dogs). I did a fast to cut my cycle of bad eating and it seemed to help, I started thinking that maybe I should consider IF...

andrew80k
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Espresso You're doing fine. With your stats, 1500-1600 calories is right in line with getting to your goals for now. Just remember to adjust as you get closer. Your actual numbers will change over time and some days you'll be up a pound or 2 and then you'll be down. You just want to keep trending down. As long as you're doing that week to week, you shouldn't worry too much.

Kim So you kind of have a plan. Since you are tracking calories, are you putting any sort of limit on the number that you eat? Do you know what your body requires in a day? Do you know what sort of caloric deficit you are maintaining? I think the BodyBug is a terrific tool. Anything that motivates someone to keep moving is great.

Sum38
03-01-2012, 10:17 AM
If you guys do myfitnesspal, please feel free to add me...same nick and picture :D

guacamole
03-01-2012, 10:19 AM
andrew80k - thanks for the concern. This too shall pass! You are really rocking and on your way to 20lbs gone! Keep going!

Zumbachica - hope you had a productive day yesterday. I also turn to food for emotional comfort - although much less than I used to. It's a hard habit to break, but we can do it!

Sum38 - I am so with you on the 2 week rule - my life is also affected at least 2 weeks by TOM. I also understand the need for a mental break from weight loss - or a maintenance break - where you don't actively try to lose. This journey is a marathon and it can get tiring.

cldwv - I don't watch the Biggest Loser. I watched it a few years back and it seemed too unrealistic. Most of us can't just take a break from our real lives to enter an artificial bubble of a world devoted solely to weight loss. We don't have access to the professionals and the chefs preparing special meals for us each day... To me, it's frustrating to compare myself to someone who is dropping tons of weight like gangbusters while I poke forward like a turtle. I'd also be interested to know how many of the contestants maintain their weight loss for any significant period of time - not just the winners, but anyone who has ever been on the show and lost weight.

Espressowhip - I think it's good that you have written down the things you have done right. Sometimes we can be too hard on ourselves or overstate little indulgences or slip-ups - and it can be discouraging. You are doing so many things that are right on target! :carrot:

kandd416 - It's so great that you are in this challenge! Sounds like you are actively participating in different ways to motivate yourself with all the challenges you are taking part in. That's great.

I'm not sure how, but I weighed in at 161 lbs today! Last night I indulged in some high fat/high sodium Chinese food, so I was expecting the worst, but, who knows? I'm not complaining. However, I realized a similarity between my penchant for impulse buying when it comes to clothing or shoes (which I have pretty much conquered :carrot:) and impulse eating. Just because something is available and looks good, doesn't mean I have to eat it. Even if the food is free, there is always a price to pay in pounds (and I don't live in England, so I don't mean money!). Gotta get a grip on whim eating.

Sum38
03-01-2012, 03:50 PM
guacamole You need, I mean NEED to change your nick :D 'cause each time I see it I wanna eat chips and guacamole ...my weakness....:rofl: Please change it to something yucky...like lard hehehe! Shame on you for tempting me :D

Sum38
03-01-2012, 03:52 PM
OMG...I hope everyone took it the right way :o:o:o:o:o:o I just want mexican food :dizzy:

guacamole
03-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Sum38 - I do love guacamole and avocados in general! In fact, I have been eating avocados in various forms throughout my weight loss, so you don't have to give them up! I'm glad if I inspired you to make guacamole. :)

I didn't see your question before about IF - I tried IF, but didn't stick with it. I do try not to eat after 6pm on a regular basis, but sometimes an event or a late dinner with friends throws that off. However, I usually start eating shortly after I wake up in the morning and have my last meal between 5-6pm. It's really too big a time span to be considered IF. It's just one of the many weight loss tools that I've picked up, looked at, and decided it's not for me. Many other people love the lifestyle and swear by it, though.

Sum38
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Feb progress:

Start weight: 153
End weight: 149.5

Loss of 3.5 ponds

Start measurements 40/32.5/40.5
End measurements 40/32/40

Thoughts about my month; I did great, I mean really well until around the 20th and then it went downhill from there. I am happy that I saw a loss in pound and inch wise. -- I think I am peri menopausal and those hormones are affecting me more and more each month. -- I see a pattern; I do well during and after my period and then BAMMMMM, PMS comes and it seems to last at least a week and I screw up.

I am constantly trying to change things to see what works. I think if I were to do my calorie watching, high protein and low carb for the first 20 days (start of my period counts as day 1) and then Intermittent fasting (IF) for the 10 PMS days; I may be able to sail through my trouble areas.

Getting old just SUCKS :D

kandd416
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
Mexican food.................yummmmmmy! Guess I know what I'm going to be having this weekend.

Kristiina, have you ever eaten at the Cantina? It's in Lake Orion & they have awesome food & drinks. We go there once or twice a year. It's a little bit of a drive, but we like road trips. And I giggled when I read your note to Guac btw.

Andrew, I'm averaging around a 650 calorie a day deficit. Not quite as much as I would like to get, but I really want to stick with this, & if I start to feel too deprived I'm worried I may not. So I'm tring to add a little additional exercise each week. Based on my BB, my BMR seems to be about 1,584 & I average burning 2,200 a day over the last 30 days. Up from 2,150 the first 30 days.

Hope everyone has a great OP weekend.

Kim

Sum38
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
OMG Kim!!!!! If you come to Sagebrush; LET'S MEET! I spent the last two years doing the street scape for LO...we re-did the streets etc :) I like their fish tacos and chicken rice soup!

Sum38
03-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Oh and if you have too many drinks at the Cantina; you can crash in my basement :D

guacamole
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Hello, everyone! Just popping in to update that I don't need surgery right now! I have two things going on in my back between the benign tumor and a few discs that suffer from degenerative disc disease. Ugh. I will do a follow up MRI in six months to see if there is any change in the size of the benign tumor in my spine and reevaluate at that time. As long as I don't remove it, I will have to continue to have follow up MRIs every year to keep track of it, though. I start physical therapy next week.

Hope I can stay to my calories this weekend! Good luck, everyone!:broc:

Espressowhip
03-03-2012, 06:51 AM
@Guac I'm glad to hear you don't need surgery. I also have a back issue they monitor every year. Even though the surgery they describe scares the crap-ola outta me, I sometimes wonder why they don't do the surgery now, while I'm "young" enough to minimize the recovery time, rather than wait until the issue inhibits my mobility and I'm so old that I may not recover at all. I suppose they hope to avoid the surgery altogether - perhaps.

Saturday; A loss is a loss: Only .2 kilograms from my goal. Next week is another chance to do it better.

Drumroll: -24.9 kgs / -54.91 lbs:broc:

I only have one client meeting next week, so there aren't any excuses for not going to the gym for that class. Although I did some extra core strength training this week, the social aspect of a class is equally important to whatever activity the class provides. Me and the treadmill remain best friends, doing squats remains a chore. Most importantly, my Kona goal is still totally attainable.

Zumbachica
03-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Guac: Great news about not needing surgery! I hope you can control the pain through other means.

Espresso: You are doing great!

Sum: I totally hear you on the PMS thing. I never had PMS until I got into my 40's. Not only am I famished the days prior to having my period but I am an emotional basket case also. It's a horrible cycle. I'm a big believer in hormones playing a huge roll in our weight and everything else, but unless you get a total hormone work up and then get personally made hormone replacement like Suzanne Somers can then what do you do to keep hormones level?

Zumbachica
03-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Im happy to say that I"m down a bit so maybe I will make some progress in this challenge. Honestly, I'm not looking to break any records but my pants literally HURT on my hips....I can't afford a new wardrobe.

I've been seeing the emotion/food connection more and more since I"m going through a horrible divorce. Last night my husbnad did something that really upset me and I immediately wanted something "junky" to eat..and I could care less about losing weight at that moment. I am going to have to control these feelings. No amount of dieting and exercise will help if I continue to use food for comfort or as an addiction. I think I obsess over my weight becaues i know all too well that I can easily gain 50-80 lbs. I saw emotions do that to my mother. I couldn't understand how a w oman so petite and skinny could become morbidly obese. As I grew older and realized that she was literally trying to anesthesize herself for YEARS with food I vowed that I would never do that. It isn't even about esthetics at this point...she has diabetes, high blood pressure and is a heart attack waiting to happen. She spent years being miserable about her weight....it's sad.

Wow, hate to use this forum as a therapy session. I hope everyone is having a great weekend......

guacamole
03-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Espressowhip - Congrats on your progress! My doctor was willing to do surgery now, but his advice was a wait and see approach - I suppose waiting so that perhaps I won't need to have surgery at all, like your doc.

Zumbachica - I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time. I think it's great that you realize you are susceptible to emotional eating and you are taking control by diet and exercise.

I had an ok weekend. I have been tracking my calories and being more aware of my foods even on an off plan day. I know that I need to track my foods every day from now on....about 2 weeks ago I had a 4,000 calorie day on a Saturday! I planned on an off plan day, but not THAT off plan! I realized I had probably been doing this every week at least one day per week. No wonder the scale would stall so often - I was spending the rest of the week just recovering from the weekend instead of making progress! Anyway, I'm glad I saw a pattern, have started tracking even my off plan days, and am taking control. We shall see if it pays off.

Hope you all had a good day!

guacamole
03-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Just popping in to say hello. On track so far today with my eating. Hope it continues!

Good luck today, everyone!

Sum38
03-04-2012, 02:51 PM
Happy Sunday Ladies! :grouphug:

I have had a great weekend. TOM is just about gone, scale went back down to 148.5; I walked 4.9 miles yesterday, and today I Nordic walked 5.1 miles. I bet my arms will be sore tomorrow :dancer:

I have stayed OP food wise; duh TOM is gone :yes::yes: We even went out for sushi last night and calories were still within my allowance. -- I better take advantage of these next 2-3 weeks before that :devil: shows up again with its seductive ways.

Guacamole: So glad you don't need surgery. Strength training and therapy will do wonders! :hug::hug:

Espressowhip 25 kilos!! You go girl!! That is fantastic!!

Zumbachica i am sorry about your divorce situation!! We are here for you!! -- I am an emotional eater as well. I have gone up and down so many times based how my life has been going. -- My sister ~ whom I don't talk to anymore, because she was so emotionally abusive towards me, and I had to cut her off of my life ~ just sent me a hateful note. It has been 6 months since her last one...I wanted to RUN to the fridge, but I decided she does not deserve me loosing control! -- I am proud of you that you held back your urges! :cheer:

I am sending everyone :dust: for this upcoming week!

Zumbachica
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your support everyone..

Sum: I have a sister like that also. We were never close, and when my father was dying she was so mean to me. I cut her off for good and although it is sad because she is the only sister I have it was for the best. My life is stressful enough without added stress from family members. I have some good friends that I love like sisters and feel blessed to have them in my life so it is all good.

I am going to have to cancel the trip to Universal Studios that i had planned for me and the boys Easter Week. I don't think it is a good idea that I spend all that money right now. I am going to reschedule for when the kids finish school, most probably the rates will be lower then also! I was using the trip as incentive to lose weight, but i'm going to try and keep motivated anyway....

Had way too many carbs today, It's done and it's back on the wagon tomorrow.

Well I had a pretty bad weekend. So happy it is almost over even though I dread going back to work tomorrow.

Espressowhip
03-05-2012, 08:43 AM
The divisions between me and the blood relatives and extended family were more strongly defined when my mom passed away, and I found this quote rather helpful in resolving my disappointment:

"The family uses people, not for what they are, nor for what they are intended to be, but for what it wants them foró its own uses. It thinks of them not as what God has made them, but as something which it has arranged that they shall be." ~ Florence Nightengale

In Hawaiian culture they use the term Ohana; it means the family you choose. I'm thankful to have a strong and loving Ohana.

Happy Monday Everyone!

cldwv
03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
So I was really bummed last week as I weighed in at 217 (although that may have been due to clothes, shoes, etc.), which was up. This morning trending back down. Not a huge jump but 213. One pound down. I'm starting to worrry I'm not going to make my 199 March goal.

cldwv
03-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Me and the treadmill remain best friends, doing squats remains a chore.Most importantly, my Kona goal is still totally attainable.[/COLOR]I love this! I'm hoping me and my treadmill will become friends at some point but currently, it's a very lukewarm relationship.

cldwv
03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Im happy to say that I"m down a bit so maybe I will make some progress in this challenge. Honestly, I'm not looking to break any records but my pants literally HURT on my hips....I can't afford a new wardrobe. Wow, hate to use this forum as a therapy session. I hope everyone is having a great weekend......There have been days where I've had to unbutton my pants at work, at my desk because they hurt so much. I totally understand. Keep leaning forward. That's my motto.

cldwv
03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
[COLOR="Purple"]Happy Sunday Ladies! :grouphug: I have had a great weekend. TOM is just about gone, scale went back down to 148.5; I walked 4.9 miles yesterday, and today I Nordic walked 5.1 miles. I bet my arms will be sore tomorrow :dancer:I am sending everyone :dust: for this upcoming week!This is awesome. You are an inspiration! Once our weather breaks for good, I'm ditching the treadmill and getting out there like I used to.

fyreflie24
03-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey Everyone!
I'm sorry I'm horribly behind!

So I'm doing a 40 day yoga program starting today! I'm excited! I'm actually about 10 days into the consistent practice part but there are tons of other components to the program. It's exciting.

Hope everyone is doing well and I will do my very best to jump back in and get reacquainted with where everyone is on the their journey.

Sum38
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Glorious Monday Morning,

We woke up to quite crisp temperatures but sun came out.

I did my 5.3 mile Nordic walk and included 96 lunges into the mix. I am feeling tired (and happy).

I am working on my 5th cup of water, and no massive cravings therefore looks like I am going to have another OP day :cheer:

I hope everyone is having a fab Monday :D

guacamole
03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
cldwv - I can't wait to get out walking in the sunshine too! I am tired of staying so much indoors.

fyreflie24 - great job on starting the yoga program! Sounds like you are moving right along with your program and goals.

Sum38 - great job! I love seeing positive and successful posters!

I went to my first PT session today. She did some stretching and icing and electrotherapy. She warned me I would be sore afterwards, and I am. Hopefully, it will be all forward progress from here. I go two times a week starting next week. I stepped on the scale to find I am down 1 lb! My next goal is to lose one more pound! Wish me luck!

Espressowhip
03-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Midweek. Everything is OP this week! :broc:

Took a class yesterday! It wasn't what I expected.

Still forgetting to weigh-in before chugging my morning water.

Night-sweats=thirsty mornings

Although Saturday mornings I seem to remember it's my weigh-in day!

kandd416
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Kristiina, next time we plan to go to LO I will definitely let you know! Although a lot of times they are just spontaneous road trips lol.

It's nice to see everyone seems to be doing well. I was super busy at work & wasn't able to get online (yes, I post from work) for the past few days.

I've finally gotten past the 184 mark, I was bouncing around that weight for almost 3 weeks before I finally got down to the 182 mark. Now I'm bouncing up & down right around there. My body does not seem to want me to get to the 10 pound lost mark & is fighting me every step of the way.

I've been staying totally OP & have continued to do my exercise, so hopefully now that TOM is over I will hit that 10 pound very soon.

Guac, great job on losing a pound. With everything that's been going on with you that is awesome!

Have a great OP day everyone.
Kim

guacamole
03-07-2012, 09:31 AM
kandd416 and Espressowhip - great job staying OP and exercising! Nice to see success around here!

I am down another pound this morning - 159! So glad to see something in the 150s - even though I am just squeaking in! TOM ending on Monday, and it looks like this month I got a nice little whoosh when it ended! Guess it's like riding a wave - if you can ride out the PMS cravings and bloating, your period can actually propel you into losing a few pounds by the time it's all done. In a few weeks I am going to remember to "ride the wave!"

Sum38
03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Morning,

And it will be a beautiful day here is Michigan...60+ F!

I am so sore! I did my 5.5 mile Nordic walk and we incorporated in 80 side lunges.

I am doing a 22 hour fast today. I indulged on pickles and olives last night and my sodium levels were super high: 7,822 :eek: I feel swollen today, so I am doing a water/herbal tea fast until 6 pm. Aiming for 80-100 oz. Wish me luck :D

Scale was down 1/2 pound, I was sort of surprised by that after my sodium feast. - I have a thyroid condition and sodium is my nemesis. I am down 2 pounds from last Friday's weigh-in.

I have not decided if I am going to walk today or take a rest day: I may do a gentle walk, no poles and no lunges.

guacamole: Congrats on 159...a new decade for you :woohoo: it is always such a mental boost!

Kim You did not give up! :hug: now your body just has to give in and lose the weight :) -- Maybe this summer we could plan a date at the cantina....to celebrate our losses!

Espressowhip OP is good!! -- About night sweats, mine are gone now; they seem to come with pre TOM and with TOM....do you get them 4 weeks or 2 weeks out of the month? -- Sucks to be perimenopausal :o

Everyone have a fab day!

cldwv
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
So I'm doing a 40 day yoga program starting today! I'm excited! I'm actually about 10 days into the consistent practice part but there are tons of other components to the program. It's exciting.This is awesome! I've wanted to give this a try but I'm really scared of it for some reason. I'm not flexible so I have a hard time picturing myself being able to do it. I'd love to hear more.

cldwv
03-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Glorious Monday Morning. We woke up to quite crisp temperatures but sun came out.I did my 5.3 mile Nordic walk and included 96 lunges into the mix. I am feeling tired (and happy). I am working on my 5th cup of water, and no massive cravings therefore looks like I am going to have another OP day :cheer:You are always like a positive little ray of sunshine! Much appreciated as I'm in a funk and can feel my motivation draining out of me. Keep up the good work and keep posting. It keeps me in line!

cldwv
03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I've finally gotten past the 184 mark, I was bouncing around that weight for almost 3 weeks before I finally got down to the 182 mark. Now I'm bouncing up & down right around there. My body does not seem to want me to get to the 10 pound lost mark & is fighting me every step of the way.KimYay Kim! I'm glad to hear somebody else struggling to move past a number. It makes me feel like I'm not alone. I've been hovering in the same place for about three weeks and it's making me crazy. 182 seems like such a far-off number to me right now. Congratulations on your good work!

cldwv
03-07-2012, 10:42 AM
I am down another pound this morning - 159! So glad to see something in the 150s - even though I am just squeaking in!I was looking at your ticker and am really impressed! Your heavy weight is right about where I am now and honestly, it's a little hard for me to imagine making it to the 150s. Seeing other people who have done it makes it easier to stay on track. Congratulations!

andrew80k
03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
You guys are doing great at losing!

Guac Yay for a new low. That's a great feeling, I know.
Kristiina Wow on the workouts. I'm impressed. And the loss is awesome.
Kim Good to see you going in the right direction. You're doing great.
Espresso Great job staying on plan this week. One more step to getting to your goal.
cldwv I have a hard time picturing myself doing yoga too. :) You can get to whatever goal you want. Just have to stay the course.

fyreflie24
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
This is awesome! I've wanted to give this a try but I'm really scared of it for some reason. I'm not flexible so I have a hard time picturing myself being able to do it. I'd love to hear more.

I think it's about the right studio, the right kind of yoga (there are tons) and where a person is. It's not all about flexibility and there are variations galore to meet your fitness, flexibility, familiarity level... so no fear! The 40 day program is a whole mind/body experience focusing on the physical practice, what you learn from it, what if 'brings up' (it's amazing the crap that comes up, emotionally etc) and why... and then letting it go, being mindful of being in the here and now and really experiencing it. And for some folks, it's a great workout and that's all good! Right now this particular wing of yoga, Batiste Power yoga, is really speaking to me. I feel this journey is what's going to help me cope better and help prevent me from getting into the cycles that caused me to gain the weight to begin with! It's about being the best self and being kind to yourself but pushing at the same time. Sorry... rambling... but it is a fascinating process. Ask me in another month LOL!

I advise starting with deep stretch/restorative classes to start. They're the most enjoyable and least intimidating (imho). I had a hard time until I got in the 170s and now my body is starting to work again! Weight isn't a deterrent, but I did find it much more challenging when I was heavier.

guacamole
03-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Checking in today! Yesterday I had a big off plan dinner, high in carbs and sodium. I knew it was coming up and overall, I didn't do too badly. Of course, I could have been better about portion sizes - I had 2 slices of deep dish cheese pizza when I could have easily settled for one! However, it's been a long time since I have eaten like that, and I am back on track today.

Here's to an on-plan day for us all!

Sum38
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Greetings from blustery Michigan,

Temperatures are dropping like a rock.

I did my 5.5 mile Nordic Walk this morning, and my :drill: a.k.a. the love of my life, challenged me into backwards lunges, 5 sets of 30. One set for each mile. Girls, I am going to have the most awesome looking legs ever :lol: ~ so far, during the past 7 days we have done; front lunges, side step lunges, front lunges and now reversed lunges. I like walking with my husband. He definitely is upping the ante for me.

I am really looking forward to my weekly weigh-in. :encore: I have not been this exited about in a long time. I am in a territory of numbers that I have not seen in many, many moons. Getting under 150 was incredibly difficult and I wanted to give up, like I had many times, now that I think I am safely below it, I am truly cherishing it.

guacamole planned Off Plan days are the best. No guilt. I am glad you enjoyed it. Life is too short, need to indulge every now and then.

fyreflie24 I used to do yoga, maybe I should start again. I really liked it.

cldwv You are so sweet!:hug:

guacamole
03-09-2012, 04:27 PM
sum38 - great job on the exercise!!! You sure will be in shape for the summer wardrobe season!

I have been struggling to stay OP because of family in town and lots of big family meals and outings. I am enjoying myself overall, but I hate that I don't look forward to things that I used to look forward to - family gatherings, holidays, BBQs - basically things that revolve around food as most family/friend gatherings do. I don't mind having one off plan day, but when it spills over into an entire weekend or more (like a vacation) I really start panicking that I am going to go off track and my weight gain will just snowball back to my high weight and beyond. I don't like that I can't fully enjoy myself anymore around lots of food. It's going to be a tough weekend, and I know that if I weigh myself on Monday, I will be upset!

Sum38
03-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Happy Saturday!

Another beautiful day here in Michigan. :sunny: I will definitely go and do my daily walk; I was planning on taking a day off since I already walked over 30 miles this week, but I can't resist the sun outside. I may try taking it a bit easier today and actually enjoy the nature (yeah right says my husband...he knows how I push myself :D)

I have been doing well with my march madness challenge. My water intake has been superb (I switched to green tea and herbal teas; very diluted). I did a 23 hour fast yesterday; I am trying IF. I have kept up my walking and lunges....the only thing; vitamins. I seem to forget them each day :mad:

Scale is at all time low...well not all time, because I was super skinny until my mid 30's :lol: but all time low in 4+ years. 146.5. another 1.5 pounds and I have lost 20 pounds and that is my 1/2 way point. I feel good and optimistic that I can do this!

Guacamole try not to worry about it and enjoy your family. I know it is hard! I slip quite easy! Plus we are here for you to keep you on track after your weekend. :hug:

Wishing everyone F A B day! :grouphug:

traveling michele
03-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Kristina-- what is IF? Why did you fast? Wasn't that hard?

I turned 45 last Saturday, and celebrated (??) yesterday with my annual mammogram. Good times.

Sum38
03-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Michelle, Happy Birthday!

:celebrate::celebrate::bday2you: mammogram is a good way of celebrating. Save those tatas :D

IF is short for intermittent fast. I accidentally stumbled on it a few weeks ago. I was having terrible month with PMS that stated almost 10 days before my period and my eating was totally out of control, I "gained" 5 pounds in a week and I was packing 2500 calories in daily and I could not stop. So I decided to fast from dinner to dinner, out of desperation. I did and it stopped my s
Downward spiral and I actually felt really good. So I started researching about fasting and found IF. It really intriqued me because I was a natural IF eater my entire life.....without knowing it. I HATE breakfast, sometimes I have eaten it and gagged. But I was following the 3 meal 2/3 snack route....because everyone says it is the healthiest way.....so now I found IF.... I don't feel guilty skipping my bfast...I do 19 fast each day and 5 hour eating window. I eat my first meal around 12:30 - 1 pm. Nice snack at 3 pm, BIG dinner around 6 and then nothing else until the following day. I do it because it suits me. It is not definitely for everyone....my daughter is the opposite....she loves breakfast and packs in 800 calories each morning....she hates lunch and eats very light and usually has a decent dinner....so eating is very individual for all. I think I found my natural way of eating.

Some IF followers do 1-2 24 hour fasts per week. That is where you eat dinner and nothing until next dinner. I liked my fasts I have done, makes me feel less bloated etc....

It is not calorie restricted diet.

I never follow any diet 100%.... I a, little bit sout beach, little bit calorie counting, and now little bit IF. I am just trying to find the way of eating for me.

I am using my iPad so sorry of typos etc :D

guacamole
03-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Quick check-in. Weekend eating was not great so far, but could have been worse. I am going to have to be extra good this week to compensate! I hate going into a week already having to compensate for a bad weekend - I like going in strong and on plan. However, I have to realize that this is life - my lifestyle has to accommodate off plan times and I need to relax a bit!

Hope you are all doing well.

kandd416
03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Good morning ladies. I had a totally off plan weekend which blew all of last week's hard work & will probably require a lot of hard work this week to get back on track. Ugh! Lesson learned.

But I had a pretty wonderful weekend. I think it was the couple of cocktails I had that did me in this weekend. Why can't I like something that is low calorie instead of the super sweet fruity concotions? I'm not a huge drinker, but occassionally I like something besides just water.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Kim

guacamole
03-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Kim - I hear ya! I guess we both will be playing catch up this week. Not a great feeling. I was offered alcohol on numerous occasions this weekend, and turned it down. I wish I had also turned down the cinnamon rolls, breads, pizza, potato skins, french fries, wraps, and other carbs I ingested! I am a true carb addict, and I don't think that will ever change. I can't stop at just one portion or even one type.

A slight NSV in the middle of my eating frenzy - I put on a skirt today that fit me just fine about two months ago, and today is sliding down almost past my hips. I actually am afraid that it is going to fall down on me in public (there are no belt loops to wear a belt with it)! I'm not buying any more every day clothes until I am firmly in a size 10 (probably another 15-20 pounds down). However, it is nice to see progress in the way my clothes are fitting. I am going to have to make time to purge more clothing from my closet that I can no longer comfortably wear because they are too big. That feels good!

Another NSV - I buy a Dunkin Donuts medium plain coffee with skim milk between 2-3 times per week. Today, a poster tempted me into buying a Caramel Turtle medium coffee with skim milk. It tasted so sickeningly sweet! I didn't even add any sugar or Splenda. I looked up the calories and fat and they were much higher than the plain coffee I usually drink. I took a few sips and threw the rest away. I can't believe that things are actually tasting too sweet for me now! I think that cutting back on sugar has had an effect on my taste buds and I couldn't be happier!

kandd416
03-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Day two of recovery from the weekend. I saw a pretty big drop in the scale this morning from yesterday, but I'm not sure if I will be able to get back to where I was last week. I so do not want to gain. I don't quite understand how two off plan days can make my weight bounce up that much. (I wasn't THAT off plan)

Yesterday I was pretty strict with my food & I will be again today, trying to get back to last week's weight. I will be much better behaved this weekend, I promise!

Hope ya'll have a great OP day.

Kim

guacamole
03-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Hello, all! Good job staying on plan, Kim! I am staying on plan and had physical therapy this morning. My back is feeling a bit better, although I think it's due to time more than the therapy. I find the sessions pretty annoying for some reason. Part of it is a comfort factor, as all the massage tables are in a communal area, and as my trouble spot is my lower back, sometimes half my tush is exposed as the therapist is working on it! Even if I were at my goal weight, I still wouldn't appreciate having it all hanging out for the other clients and therapists to see. I'm not sure how long I will continue, at least at this facility.

Sum38
03-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi :)

We are having the most gorgeous day! Sunny and warm. Makes my heart sing!

I had pretty lousy few days after the gluten in my omelet incident. -- My joints were on FIRE. I dragged myself out for a walk, hoping that little sweat would aid toxin removal. I walked 5.2 miles and I do feel better. We shall see how I feel in a few hours. Boy I hate gluten!
Scale is up :mad: probably partly because of my joints and partly because I am ovulating...darn hormones :lol: My eating has been pretty much OP, especially today I have been having A++ day :D

guacamole Can you find another place close by? I am glad to hear your back is feeling better!!

Kim it just sucks how a few fun days pushes us back so much! Good job being OP! What is done is done, and you can only control what happens today.

guacamole
03-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Sum38 - I love your positivity! Wow, I didn't realize gluten could have such a big impact. I don't know much about gluten intolerance, but it's good that you see a pattern and know what to avoid.

I am feeling pretty good about myself because I cleared out a large (39 gallon) garbage bag full of clothes from my closet. They range in size from 2X (I didn't even realize I had 2Xs!), 1X, 16W, and 16. I will donate these to charity tomorrow. Even with all those things gone, my closet is still stuffed. I am keeping some XLs and even one size 16 dress that is loose, but not ridiculous looking. Now my closet is mainly 14s, Larges, and a few 12s. I will reassess at the end of the summer/beginning of fall, when hopefully I will be down in size even more!

Sum38
03-13-2012, 04:45 PM
I have celiac; gluten is poison to me :( -- Before I knew I had this, I was really, really sick. I was in bed weeks at a time; join pain, stomach issues, fatigue.... It was such a great relief when I was finally diagnosed with it. The problem is. I can't have even a trace of gluten. I have my own pots and pans and kitchen knives etc. -- Luckily my DD and DH went gluten free. My DS still eats gluten, every now and then, but for the most part our house is gluten free zone.

We barely eat out.... I am always so scared that I get hidden gluten like I did this Sunday. It is easier to eat at home and I like cooking anyways :D

I chaperoned a lot for my DD's marchingband....the competition days are long; I always packed my own meals in fear of contamination. It was healtier anyways :)

kandd416
03-14-2012, 04:13 PM
To update my stats:

Starting Weight: 184.4
Goal Weight: 175

Weigh ins, the week of:
February 20: 184.0
February 27: 183.4
March 5: 183.0
March 12: 182.6
March 19:
March 26:
April 2:
April 8/Final:

Woohoo even with my overindulgence this weekend I still lost!

It's nice to see that I'm definitely on a downward trend, but I would like to see a little bit bigger numbers. Ha! I'm going to need some huge numbers to reach my goal. Huge for me is 2 lbs. btw!

Have a great day ladies.

guacamole
03-14-2012, 07:50 PM
Sum38 - I am so sorry about your health issues! You are correct though, sometimes having to make/bring your own food can be a blessing in disguise healthwise!

kandd416 - Woo hoo on losing 2 lbs! That's terrific. The way I see a challenge is that if I make my goal, great! If not, I am no worse off because I have been trying to stay on plan - even if I lose something or at a minimum maintain instead of gain - it's a good thing!

Well....I donated a bunch of big clothes to charity...and I hadn't planned on replacing things so soon...but...I stopped off at a thrift store (I have no will power when it comes to shopping) and came away with a bunch of size 12s that fit! I spent about $35 for 11 items (bought 3 pairs of pants for my son also). I am so psyched to be able to wear size 12! I still have a bunch of 14s and even a 16 dress in my closet, but now I have a bunch of 12s to go with them! At the end of the summer/fall maybe I will be able to weed out the larger sizes again. Another incentive to stay on plan!

guacamole
03-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I am staying on plan technically, but eating more carbs than I would like....had some mission white flour wraps and also a bit of white rice in a chicken casserole I made. Nothing too bad, but it all adds up on the scale at the end of the week. I weighed myself this morning at 160. Ugh. I really want to get solidly in the 150s. I've been feeling hungry lately, and that's causing me to make poorer choices in my food.

Good luck, everyone!

cldwv
03-16-2012, 11:14 AM
I've slowed. I know what the problem is and will correct it Monday. Hopefully better news to report next week.

kandd416
03-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Guac, what eating plan do you follow? Is it counting calories, carbs, etc.?

I'm not really following a diet, I just purchased the Body Bugg back in January & am trying to eat less than I burn. The weight is coming off slowly, but steady. I'm thinking about trying something different for a week or two to try to increase my weight loss.

I usually eat about 1,800 calories per day & find that leaves me pretty satisfied. I don't want to feel starved because I know that will trigger a binge for me.

Thanks,

Kim

guacamole
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
cldwv - that's what successful weight loss is all about - seeing what works and what doesn't and making corrections! You are doing great!

kandd416 - I do calorie counting and use myfitnesspal to track my food and beverage intake. I range between 1200-1400 calories per day, but often tend to go over those calories on the weekend - that's been my problem! I had a bad weekend last weekend and spent all of this week trying to make up for it. Now the weekend is here again, and I am going for dinner at a friends house tonight - I only have a few hundred calories left for the day, so I know that I will be going over 1400. Oh well. I have been feeling hungry lately, so I think I will need to up my calories back to 1500-1600. It is tremendously helpful for me to track all my food - because then I have the real picture of what I am actually eating. When I was approximating in my mind what I thought I was eating (before I started using the calorie counting program) I was underestimating by a lot!

Good luck in however you decide to proceed!

guacamole
03-17-2012, 10:06 PM
Hello, everyone! My food has not been great this weekend - what else is new? Plus, I have a dinner to go to tomorrow...so my goal is to eat very little during the day and drink lots of water, so that I can eat whatever off plan foods they serve tomorrow night - minimize the damage, so to speak.

I got tons of compliments this weekend about how good I am looking - I haven't lost anything major in March...but I got a few new bras that actually fit me and I think it is making a difference in how my clothes fit. Wearing a well-fitting bra can actually make you appear slimmer! Thanks to 3fc member runningfromfat for the bra fitting tips.

Sum38
03-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Hello ladies,

We are having just amazingly beautiful weather here in MI. It will be hard to start having 40 or 50 degree days again.

Nice weather brings out the best of me. I am not over eating, I am drinking my water and I am walking every day.

Scale is heading back down, 147.5 this morning. I am 1 pound away from my low.... I think I can be there soon. I wanted to get down to 145 by the end of March, but that remains to be seen.

guacamole Well fitting clothes make all the difference. -- I think if more women wore the right size and did not try to squeeze into smaller size, many women would look 10 pounds lighter. -- Good foundation is where it all starts; well fitting bras and PANTIES :D I refuse to be "certain" size. I only wear stuff that fits. -- I have many pairs of size 8 jeans in my closet and yes they zip up, but that does not mean they "fit" :lol:
Congrats on the compliments, that always is such a mood lifter!

Kim; How do you like the Body Bugg? I am thinking about getting one for mother's day.

cldwv How was your weekend?

Sum38
03-18-2012, 10:41 AM
I love this guy:

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

guacamole
03-19-2012, 12:40 AM
Sum38 - Great to see you positive and progressing. You sure do inspire me to keep going!!

Had an NSV moment today...kind of an emotional one. Last year at this time I had an event to go to. It was one of those stuffy affairs where you have to dress up and in this case, I had to get up on a stage to receive an award. I was extremely overweight and rarely went to any social events - rarely went out at all in fact. Needless to say, I was terrified at the prospect of having to go to this event and be in the spotlight, however briefly. I searched high and low for a dress that would fit me, and finally found one in 16W. I felt so large in it, but it fit me and it was dressy enough for the occasion. I can't tell you how mortified I was both in the moments on stage and seeing photos of myself afterwards. I put the dress in the back of my closet and never wore it again. I never even looked at it again until last week when I weeded out my closet of all sizes above 14 and gave them to charity, including that dress.

Tonight, I went to the same dinner for the same organization (not as an honoree this time). I wore a size 12 dress that I felt good in and received many compliments (last year I received none, and with good reason!). What a difference a year makes! As many have said, I am so glad that I started this journey last year - even though I am not at my goal I am so much closer to getting there than I was 1 year ago. You would think that one event would have sparked me to diet and exercise, but no, it took another more personal big family event that happened one month later to finally kick my butt into gear. I guess that was my final rock bottom - facing family and friends in such an obese state was even more embarrassing than facing colleagues and acquaintances at the first event. I hope that 1 year from now I will be at my goal and look back on this year and think how far I've come since March 2012. My progress seems so slow sometimes, but it's times like tonight that I realize how much it all adds up.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Sum38
03-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Morning :sunny:

Guacamole I can totally relate. I had two functions were pictures were taken. One of them was when I had just hit obese category and I was still in denial how big I actually was. Then I saw the pictures :mad:....other one was when I had lost a little weight but I was on prednisone and I was so bloated and sad looking; I had been sick for a long time, and my hair had not been cut in 2 months and the color had faded...talk about kick in my butt (actually after that picture I went on and gained all back, because I was just so upset how bad I looked, and I had not been diagnosed with my gluten allergy at that point)
-- Next year you will be sporting size 8 and you will be the belle of the ball! -- Compliments are so important part of this journey. I am glad people were showering you with them!
I love your panty thread!! As you know by now, I am a clothes snob :lol: -- Not that I have millions of different pieces, quite the opposite. -- I do wear thongs and I love them. There are so many great thongs that are not overly "sexy"...I actually have my granny thongs as my husband calls them. I have had some real good luck with target underwear and maidenform. I do use full coverage ones when I walk and under my dresses, just in case I have a Marilyn moment :o

So where are our other 40+ ladies? Having fun under the sun? :cool:

I was so cranky yesterday :lol: I think my PMS is here. :( Next 10 days will be trying times for me. I am doing a 24 fast today. I was done eating around 3 pm (yesterday). I packed in over 1800 calories and I am still full. -- I am really hoping this IF will keep my PMS cravings under control.

I have million and one things to do today (good to stay busy on fast days). So I am off to my daily walk.

Have a F A B day :carrot:

kandd416
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Kristiina, this weather is awesome! High 70's this weekend meant it was time to get the bike out. I washed off the cobwebs & went on a ride. I don't know what I was thinking! I used to ride 20-30 miles at a time, but I hadn't ridden in almost 2 years. So I got about half as far as I wanted & realized my legs were getting pretty sore. There was no way I could go all the way where I wanted to go & come back, so I decided to turn around & start heading home.

Good thing too because the last mile or two was ****! I made it home, barely. lol. To my best estimate I think I went about 15 miles. Which doesn't seem like much, but a lot of my riding was on either dirt roads or the side of the road which is also dirt & a lot harder to ride on than the pavement that I'm used to. I think I will be investing in a bike rack this week as there are some wonderful trails around my new house, just not a good way to ride there.

I love my house that's more in the "country", but boy do I miss having sidewalks. That's why I didn't do any riding last year, but I missed it & am determined to do a lot of it this year.

As far as my BB, I love it! I think it really helps to keep me motivated to move more. I'm always trying to break my highest burn day. I think if I were to purchase it again, I might look at the Body Media Fit instead. It seems to have a couple of features the Bugg doesn't, but all in all I think the Bugg rocks.

Guac, congratulations on your NSV. It's moments like those that let you know that what you're doing is working. Keep up the great work!

Have a wonderful Monday all!

Kim

guacamole
03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Sum38 - glad you are doing well. PMS has hit me too - I seem to be getting periods every 3 weeks now. Joy.

kandd416 - nice to see you! Congrats on the bike ride. Living in the country sounds so nice. Probably a better workout riding on a dirt road than a paved one.

Went shopping for underwear today. It will feel good to get rid of my old baggy ones and wear some that actually fit!

fyreflie24
03-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Hey everyone!

I'm sorry I've been MIA but between work, yoga everyday, homework for my class... it's been pretty busy! I'm not weighing in myself but my nutritionist is weighing me so at least someone knows what's up! She was very pleased with last week and we'll see how this week goes... three straight days of eating out might have put a snafu in my progress but I did try to be healthy!

Looks like folks are rocking and rolling here! Kudos friends! Keep it up! :)
Nameste! LOL!

Sum38
03-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Hello!

I am super excited this morning. I had a new low; 145.5 lbs. I nearly cried.

I pulled out all my summer clothes. I need to get some of them altered. I have some strapless summer dresses that literally fall off :D Shorts were still okay, but if this trend continues, and I am 10 pounds lighter by June, I will need to get some new stuff.

Donamari: You are making me miss yoga. I think I will add that to my schedule next fall. -- I like being outdoors during summer months. -- I can't believe the willpower you have about your scale! I have totally unhealthy relationship with it.

guacamole :woohoo: Did any thongs jump into your basket? :flow2:

Kim I think 15 miles is great! I biked a little bit last summer and after 12 miles I was spent. You know the area where we live; sort of country. We have loads of trails as well.

Everyone have a happi day! :D I am going to be :cloud9: all day.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

kandd416
03-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Kristiina, congratulations on your low! Woohoo! You've worked so hard for it & it's nice to see it happen for you.

Guac, congrats on pitching those baggy britches. LOL. That's definitely a NSV. :)

Donamari, great job on sticking with the yoga. I've tried it once or twice & find it just a little too hard for me. Maybe once I've lost a little more weight & got in a little better shape I should try it again. I'm not at all flexible & yoga should help with that.

Have a great day ladies.
Kim

guacamole
03-20-2012, 02:44 PM
fyreflie24 - great to hear you are on track! I haven't been weighing myself either due to PMS bloating. I get depressed when I see a gain every month, so why traumatize myself?

Sum38 - Congrats on the weight loss!!! I don't do thongs! :) I got size 7s in underwear, and while some styles fit me, others are still too baggy! I probably should have gone for size 6. I will see what happens if/when they shrink in the laundry.

kandd416 - Thanks! Glad to hear from you.

Have a terrific on plan day, everyone!

cldwv
03-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Hey everybody! Spent the day in bed yesterday with a migraine and am spending my day today playing catchup. Another pound down last week (which is way too slow I think). I'm going to catch up with all of your later tonight. Hope you all are doing well!

Zumbachica
03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Hello everyone...I haven't been here in a while. Major stress going on in my life...needless to say I haven't made any progress. I'm thinking of going on a fast, does anyone have one that they recommend? I need to jumpstart my weight loss. I feel so uncomfortable in my clothes...bloated and sloppy......

Zumbachica
03-20-2012, 10:53 PM
by the way, it is so good to read everyone's posts and see progress and excitement...way to go ladies!

kandd416
03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
What a wonderful sunshiney day! I so want to be outside instead of stuck in the office!

Weigh in day today. Woohoo, down 1.4 pounds. I was getting so tired of those point something pound weeks. I'm almost at the 10 pound mark. Finally! Only .2 away. My ticker shows 10 because it doesn't seem to recognize the point either! lol

Chica, nice to hear from you. Sorry to hear your having stress in your life. Kristiina was talking about IF a few days ago. It sounds like she was having some pretty good success with it.

Cldwv, great job! You're so close to that 20 pound mark. You have to be very excited by that. My weight loss is taking a lot longer than I thought it would too. My first few weeks I had some pretty good losses, then it went to weeks of .2, .4 & .6 I was so happy to have a 1.4 week this week.

Have a great day.
Kim

kandd416
03-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Almost forgot:

To update my stats:

Weigh ins, the week of:
March 19: 181.2
March 26:
April 2:
April 8/Final:

Sum38
03-21-2012, 05:40 PM
Zumbachica; I am doing IF and absolutely loving it (for the moment :D) It jump started my weigh loss again. There is a thread called eat-stop-eat...wonderful ladies!! So much info and support. I fast each day 17-19 hours and eat 5-7 hour window. 2 X week I fast 24 hours; dinner to dinner. I think I may have a 5 pound loss for this month because of IF. -- I also love eating big meals, but because I only eat a few hours per day those big meals make me happy and my body shed some weight.

Kim; I don't want to go back to 50's....I just read that this weather beat all mathematical odds... lol and YAY for the 1.4 pounds! :woohoo:

cldwv migranes SUCK! I used to have really bad ones until I had my kids, and then they went away. I used to say I do not hate anyone enough to wish one upon them! Sorry :hug:

:wave: guacamole!

guacamole
03-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Hello, everyone! So glad that people are having success! My husband and I bought bicycles today! I am very excited - I love the outdoors and cycling is a good low impact exercise that shouldn't hurt my back. I got an upright mountain bike - not a racer bike that you have to hunch over to grab the handle bars. We took the bikes for a test spin around the park near the bike shop and it felt good to ride again. Maybe this will be the kick start I need to start exercising regularly. I had an odometer put on the bike so that I can track my distance and progress.

Hope everyone is having a successful day!

Zumbachica
03-21-2012, 11:48 PM
I will have to look into IF...is there a book about it?

kandd416
03-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Guac, glad you got a bike. I so love riding. I need to look into getting an odometer on my bike. It may be much easier than trying to retrace my route with my car to determine how far I ride. (Yes I've done that lol)

Kristiina, I hear you on that. I love this weather we're having. But 50's in March is still most excellent! Thanks for the congrats. I noticed you're kicking butt in your exercise goal! At the rate you're going you'll hit your goal for the year for sure. Keep up the great work!

Chica, good luck with whatever you do. Keep hanging in there.

Have a wonderful day.
Kim

guacamole
03-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Quick check-in - hope that everyone is doing well and migraines and stress levels are kept at bay for you gals suffering!

I went bike riding with the family yesterday evening and it was so nice! We had so much fun. I am definitely sore this morning - but sore in my upper back which is new for me, so I am pretty sure it is sore muscles. I am off to physical therapy now!

cldwv
03-23-2012, 01:01 PM
There's no way I'll make goal. Bummer:( It's slow but steady so I guess I should be pleased with that. Hope you all have a nice weekend!

cldwv
03-23-2012, 01:05 PM
My weight loss is taking a lot longer than I thought it would too. My first few weeks I had some pretty good losses, then it went to weeks of .2, .4 & .6 I was so happy to have a 1.4 week this week. Kim Same here! It was fast at first but I'm averaging about 1/1.4 a week steadily now. You know what they always say, it's a marathon not a sprint ;-)

guacamole
03-23-2012, 05:35 PM
I am in the same boat as all of you with slow and stalled weight loss! I did so well in February, but March has been a bust. I seem to be going through PMS for a full week or week and a half - I am so bloated and crampy and TOM still hasn't arrived! I didn't weight myself last week due to PMS bloating and I'm not going to weigh in this week either, because I don't need to be depressed! Usually by the third day into my period the bloating is gone and I am feeling back to normal. I just need TOM to arrive already!

We still have a week left to make our goals or get closer to them - let's do our best and end March on a high note!

guacamole
03-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Best laid plans....after a big family dinner last night and a huge multi-course lunch at a friend's house today, my eating has been horrible. TOM arrived and lots of chocolate has been consumed. Really, I have been out of control for the past 24 hours! Aaarggghhh.... Let's hope tomorrow is better.

Hope you all are having a better day.

guacamole
03-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Hello, everyone! I hope you are all doing well. I am back on track this Monday. I didn't do too badly yesterday either, but Friday and
Saturday were not good. I went bike riding with the family yesterday and we rode 2.6 miles (nice to have an odometer!). My sciatic nerve down my left leg is killing me! I am really worried that the electrotherapy the physical therapist used is causing me this new painful problem. She didn't do the electrotherapy last week because of my reaction and she spent lots of time doing deep tissue massage, but the problem has not gone away. Ugh. On the bright side, I am working through it and not letting it stop me from stretching and biking and doing basics around the house.

Hope we all have an on-plan day today!

kandd416
03-26-2012, 02:33 PM
Guac, chocolate yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I also get those cravings right before TOM. And salty food too.

Although I will admit I haven't had too many cravings. But I've also been watching my calories enough to have a bowl of ice cream every 3-4 nights. It's actually not that bad if you only have the 1/2 cup the portion is supposed to be. And it keeps that sweet tooth at bay. But it may be the reason my weight loss isn't going as quickly as I would like it. Sigh!

It was another beautiful weekend in Michigan. I bought a new workout dvd & did it yesterday & then went for a 10 mile bike ride. My hamstrings are pretty sore today, but I'm not sure if it's from the video or the ride. I'm just trying to keep moving since it seems to only bother me when I get up from sitting down.

Have a good OP day. Kim

guacamole
03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Kim - sounds like you are doing great! I am plodding along - I went over my calories yesterday because I decided to make homemade - guacamole! Yes it's the good kind of fat, but it still pushed me over calorie and fat allowances for the day. I seem to be stalled and I have an inkling that my carb intake has been too high...it's just been hard for me to give up more carbs than I already have. Also, I have been indulging in treats too often as well - sometimes they are low-cal treats that work into my calorie count for the day, but they still stall my progress. Ahhh...the hard work I must do to lose...

kandd416
03-28-2012, 08:42 AM
To update my stats:

Weigh ins, the week of:
March 26: 180.4
April 2:
April 8/Final:

Baby steps. But since I'm supposed to start in two days, I'm satisfied with my .8, well not really, but that's what I'm telling myself. lol

I hear you Guac, I swear I work way to hard to see such small losses on the scale. But what's the choice? Stop working & gain more weight. Unacceptable! So I'll keep plugging away slowly & take this as a lesson never to pack on the pounds like this again. I hope.

Have a wonderful day.
Kim

guacamole
03-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Kim - I agree with your attitude that all we can do is keep working, because if we don't, we will gain. Every day that I maintain my current weight is a victory. Every day that I lose something is a major win! I weighed in at 159 today, and have been at that weight for 2 or 3 weeks. My goal was to get to 158 by the end of this challenge and I'm not sure if I will make it, but I have lost a few pounds since the beginning of the month, so I need to keep that in mind.

We still have a few days to go until March 31st, so let's make them count!

Have a great day! :carrot:

kandd416
03-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Good morning Guac.

I was reading a thread the other day about mini-goals & if you set them the other day. There were a lot of people saying that they don't set them because if they don't make their goals they get discouraged & go off plan.

Personally I like to set goals & join these challenges. I haven't made a goal yet during these challenges, but it's kept me motivated & gives me something to work for. I don't get disappointed in myself to even consider giving up. I know I've worked hard to lose the weight that I have lost.

However, I have learned a little more about myself & my body over this time. I started off losing about 2 pounds the first 3 weeks. Then my body panicked and seemed to start fighting to keep the weight on. It is coming off still, but a lot slower than it did in the begining.

The first few challenges I did I think I set my goal for 2 pounds a week. Didn't make it. The next few I set my goal for 1.5 per week. Yeah doesn't seem like I'm going to make it. lol So, for my next challenge I'm going to set my goal for a pound a week. That's close to what I'm doing now, so I think I can make that. And if I don't, I know I will have tried my best.

So even if you don't make your goal in the time frame you set, you will get there eventually. Last week I finally hit my first goal of 10 lbs. lost. Don't give up!

Sorry if I rambled too much, just thoughts I had.
Kim

guacamole
03-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Kim - Congratulations on the 10lb milestone! That is a huge deal!

The thing I like about challenges like this one, is that the goals are not just about weight loss - it's about eating within your calorie range, getting enough water, exercising, logging calories, NSVs, posting here on a daily basis, etc. Basically, being accountable in all the areas that will help us lose weight. So, even if I don't get to my scale goal, I can still see victories in the other goals I set for myself. It's funny how we started out with so many participants, and now it just seems to be the two of us who are posting on a regular basis. It's possible that the general 40s chat thread and this one are redundant - so maybe they should just be merged into one thread in April?

In terms of scale mini-goals, I used to put an extra ticker in my profile for mini-goals that only reflected pounds - like - lose 5 lbs by such and such a date. I never made my goals in the set time frame, and it was discouraging, so I stopped doing it.

I stepped on the scale this morning and was again 159lbs. I was so sure that I would have lost something, because I was so good with my food yesterday. However, I went for a long bike ride, so maybe my muscles are holding on to water? Who knows, but the important things are that I ate well and I exercised. So, that's got to be good enough for today!

Sum38
03-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Hey ladies....

I had the worst PMS ever! I have been a b1tch on wheels. Hehe....I have been so annoyed with everyone and everything. My poor husband, I think he thinks I hate him :(

Weight is just under 150, o great surprise there...hehe...I wish fat just flew off my body. I have walked over 100 miles this month and I am a fast walker....I think being 40 sucks. If I even eat close to maintenance calories and walk, I stay the same....:( I feel I should get rewarded for eating 1700 calories and 600 calorie walk. Hehe!

guacamole
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Sum - PMS is the worst! Hope you are feeling better.

I am still at 159 going into the weekend. Lots of company and lots of stress these next few days - I hope I don't demolish all of my efforts!

Good luck, everyone!

guacamole
04-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Just doing a final check-in! Hope everyone is doing well and met their goals in this challenge.

Here's to a great April!

fyreflie24
04-01-2012, 01:12 PM
OMG! It IS April, isn't it?! Well I got the exercise thing well under control so that's exciting :)

Sum38
04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I am not sure what my final tally for March is, because my official march weigh-in date is actually first Friday of April :)

~ I did walk 111.9 miles; my goal was 80, so :woohoo: for that
~ Vitamin intake sucked as usual, but I am eating a very balanced diet, so I am not even sure if I need to worry about that. And all that recent talk about how vitamins could actually be bad for us... :dunno:
~ I am sure I did not shed 4.5 pounds as I intended, but even a 2 pound loss will be appreciated :D

Guacamole, are you starting a new April challenge for us (pretty please :))

kandd416
04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Morning all. I weighed in on 4/1 & did not hit my goal. Big surprise there lol. I do tend to set my goals a little to over ambitious, but it gives me something to aim for lol.

I just realized that what I posted at my last weigh in was copied from another challenge & my goal weight & weigh ins are a little different for this challenge.

Goal Weight: 176

Weigh ins, the week of:
March 26: 180.4
April 1: 180.00

So I FINALLY hit my February goal. A month later than I wanted to, but I got there. Yay!

Have a great day.
Kim

cldwv
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Well, I'm up two lbs this week but I'm feeling really bloated so I think that has a lot to do with it. I'm starting to lose steam. I can feel it.

fyreflie24
04-02-2012, 05:34 PM
OK so here are my goals:

* Staying 100% plan as outlined by my nutritionist (which usually means eating MORE than I want to!)

* Moving EVERYDAY and staying on my training plan (which I get Thursday).

* 100oz of water a day.

I'm in :)

Ok so reviewing:

Stuck to nutritionist's plan pretty well, including the addition of 'cheat' meals that didn't set me back.

Now doing 6 days of yoga a week

Get my water in most days because of yoga lol!

All in all, a success!

Not sure what I weigh but I've probably dropped about 10 lbs. I *think* I'm 165. Won't know for a few more weeks.

andrew80k
04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm in!! I love March Madness. I'm a College Basketball fan so it fits right in.

Goals for March:

Lose 12 pounds. This should put me low to mid 220's. Hoping this will put me at 25% BF or less.
Eat 6 times a day.
Control my calories. Stay within my limits unless planned otherwise.
Exercise 6 days per week. Run 3, lift 3.
Support others.
Drink more water.

Thanks for starting this Guacamole

Recapping...

I made it to 224 so I think that made it pretty successful. My BF% was 25.3% -- almost got there. Soon.

I still need to drink more water. I'm doing pretty well with the calorie control so that's a plus.

guacamole
04-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Great job, everyone! The bottom line is that we are all in a better place than we started this challenge. That alone is a success! Anyone interested can join the April Challenge thread.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/256166-april-showers-bring-may-flowers-challenge.html