Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Check this out... new study

The title of this article is obviously made to get attention, but read on.

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.c...says-go-for-it

For those who don't want to go read it, this study divided obese people into two groups. One group ate a large, 600 calorie breakfast that included a dessert item--a cookie, cake, or a donut. The other group ate a small, low carb, low cal 300 calorie breakfast. The total number of calories was the same for both groups--the large-breakfast group had a smaller dinner. After 16 weeks both groups lost about the same amount of weight.

Then, both groups were advised to stay on this plan, but told they could eat more if they felt hunger/cravings. After another length of time (which the article doesn't state), the group that ate small breakfasts had gained 24 pounds on average. The group that ate large breakfasts had lost 15 pounds on average.

The group that ate the large breakfast with a dessert item also had lower levels of the hunger hormone ghrelin.

Hmmmm.... worth looking up the actual article, I think.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 02-12-2012 at 06:03 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

Guess its true what they say; eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. XD
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTabby View Post
Guess its true what they say; eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper. XD
I have never heard that before but I LOVE it. I'm totally going to start thinking like that.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Interesting. I can see it working for me. Since I am outside and busy all day I can't binge eat after brekkie. I wonder if I would have a huge sugar crash about 11 a.m. though? And I would have to find some way of purchasing 1 "dessert" item.

Maybe a Clif bar? I liken those to cookie desserts and they are available "one at a time".

I'm going to try this for a week with a Clif bar at breakfast. I'll buy one (240 cals) every day at the supermarket and have it for the next day's brekkie, along with oatmeal (240 cals) and a yogurt or 1 c. milk (110 cals).

Dagmar (if you squint it's guinea pig, right? )
Mudpie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Honestly I do the opposite. Eating the large breakfast didn't help me at all (It's what I used to do before). When I started eating smaller, filling breakfasts I found it easier to stick to a low-calorie diet.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #6  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

That is quite interesting.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #7  
clarabr

S/C/G: 170/144/136-138

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Honestly I do the opposite. Eating the large breakfast didn't help me at all (It's what I used to do before). When I started eating smaller, filling breakfasts I found it easier to stick to a low-calorie diet.
I'm the same way. If I eat a 600-cal breakfast, it sets me up for a 1000-cal lunch, a 500-cal afternoon snack, etc. It just makes me wanna eat and eat. I definitely need breakfast, but it has to be relatively low-cal.
clarabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I got curious, so I went and looked for more information. It turns out that the big breakfast is a high protein breakfast. A pile of carbs doesn't do it.

http://niunadietamas.com/DanielaJakubowicz/?paged=2

I also read more about the study. The follow-up period was another 16 weeks. Both groups lost the same amount after the first 16 weeks--about 30 pounds average. During the next 16 weeks, the small breakfast group regained 24 pounds, while the big breakfast group lost another 15 pounds.

The lead author, Jakubowicz, naturally has a book called The Big Breakfast Diet based on this. According to Jakubowicz, protein is the mainstay of the plan.

Jay
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Looks like the study isn't that new--the book is 2 years old. Still, it's kind of interesting to think about.

Jay
Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #10  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Interesting to see this JayEll, thanks for posting it. Being I'm from the camp where I still have my cake & eat it too, I think it's a sa-weet study!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #11  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I notice with myself that if I eat well in the morning and early afternoon, I'm good. I can skip dinner and be fine. I simply am not very hungry in the second half of the day and I've always been this way. I think a big part of my problem in the past was that I would eat what I wanted in the morning and then still eat a big meal with the family at night. Well, that would put me over in calories a lot.

Now, I will eat a big breakfast, a snack, a big lunch, an afternoon snack and a very small dinner of just veggies and soemtiemes a protein. I am completely ok with not eating anything from 4 pm to the next morning.

Totally opposite of my husband and older son who are starving in the evening and not very hungry earlier in the day. It used to be a huge issue with meals and sleep, but Now we get it that we just have different biorhythms. I'm also a morning person. He's a night owl.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I notice with myself that if I eat well in the morning and early afternoon, I'm good. I can skip dinner and be fine. I simply am not very hungry in the second half of the day and I've always been this way. I think a big part of my problem in the past was that I would eat what I wanted in the morning and then still eat a big meal with the family at night. Well, that would put me over in calories a lot.

Now, I will eat a big breakfast, a snack, a big lunch, an afternoon snack and a very small dinner of just veggies and soemtiemes a protein. I am completely ok with not eating anything from 4 pm to the next morning.

Totally opposite of my husband and older son who are starving in the evening and not very hungry earlier in the day. It used to be a huge issue with meals and sleep, but Now we get it that we just have different biorhythms. I'm also a morning person. He's a night owl.
That's interesting. I am definitely a morning person (usually up by 5:30 at latest), but oddly enough, I'm not a big breakfast person. Usually, I eat breakfast later in the morning, and to be honest, if I'm busy, I can skip it altogether and be okay. However, I am a big dinner person, and my biggest temptation is overeating at night.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwomaniamshe View Post
Interesting to see this JayEll, thanks for posting it. Being I'm from the camp where I still have my cake & eat it too, I think it's a sa-weet study!
super on that maintaining for 4 years. Keepon a trucken.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

hmm.... that is interesting. I do eat a protein filled breakfast and I usually finish it off with a fiberone brownie so I guess I'm following that philosophy-- though my breakfast is nowhere near 600 calories total.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

That's good news for me, given that I love breakfast and usually "spend" 500 of my calories on it. I have no problem having a smallish supper if I've eaten well for breakfast and lunch.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote