Old 02-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #1  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Default Counting calories, what do you do when you have to guess?

Basically that's all of my question. When you go out to eat somewhere, and have no nutritional info- what do you do? For example- went out tonight and had the special- blackened ahi tuna fajitas. I figured it was about 6oz of tuna, 3 6 inch corn tortillas ( I had them just leave th plain, no smothering them in oil), and then probably about 3/4-1 cup of sautéed onions and peppers. I also smeared about I tbs of guacamole on my last tortilla.

Came home and figured the whole thing to be around 650 calories? But I'm guessing- for all i REALLY know- i just a 2,000 calirie meal, and it bothers me to not know whether or not I guessed right! I'm out of town so I'll be guessing a lot this week.

How do you guys do it??
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I just try and eat less and eat healthy on any day that I go out and eat something without calorie information. It is nearly impossible to guess with restaurant foods. If I was to cook a salmon dish at home, it would have about 400 calories. Yet, if I was to eat something similar at a restaurant, chances are it nears 1000 because of all the butter and oils used to give it that flavor along with a ton of sodium.

So yeah, my advice is just to assume it was more than it was, and eat healthier for the rest of the day.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 208.6/183.8/140

Height: 5'4"

I just try to compensate the rest of the day if I know I'll be going out to eat, and then estimate the calories for the meal as best I can. I definitely overestimate just to be safe. I certainly won't starve myself or anything, but I might have a lighter lunch than normal and maybe skip my usual snacks.
rlb1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #4  
In it to win it

S/C/G: 295/Ticker/150

I do the same as the others who posted and I always automatically divide my meals in half when I go out and take the rest home.
BeachKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

I try to aim for the healthiest choices on the menu, or go for ones that I have a faint idea of how much they might be based on what I know. I then double check by looking up similar dishes or recipes online to find a rough calorie equivalent. Like for your blackened ahi tuna tacos I'd look up how much fish tacos tend to be (specifying whether its grilled or fried) then checking out ahi tuna's nutritional values in comparison to the dish. I add about 100 calories to my estimate and voila! But to be sure I also tend to eat a little lower in calories that day or exercise a little bit longer/harder.

I know, it sounds long and rather convoluted but it helps to give me an idea. I also can usually guess how much calories I've eaten by how 'stuffed' I feel. If I'm full to the point of being satiated but no heaviness or stuffed feeling then I've probably eaten around 500-600 calories, if I feel satisfied but can probably nibble on a few bites then it's 400-500, if I feel full to the point of being uncomfortable then its 700-1200, etc.

Last edited by DesertTabby; 02-12-2012 at 05:05 AM.
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I look in my Calorie King Calorie Fat and Carbohydrate Counter it has 200 fast food chains and restaurants in there. I might be able to find the restaurant in there and look it up, some times I google the dish and find it, other times I do as you did and make the best guesstimate that I can and don't worry about it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #7  

I do a couple of things:

1) I'll look up the calories of a similar dish from another restaurant that does have the calories posted.

or

2) I'll do as you did and try to estimate the calories based on the ingredients. I will also usually add a couple of tablespoons of oil to that as most restaurants prepare food with more fat than I do at home.

During the summer, my husband and I eat out at least once a week at restaurants that do not have nutritional information available. I still managed to steadily lose weight by estimating as I indicated above.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I love having a smartphone for this reason. I'll google similar dishes or ingredients and make the best guess. Usually if you eat half of whatever you have you're safe though

Just as lin43 did, I ate out during my weight loss and steadily lost weight. Although I freely admit I do not always eat at the best places!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #9  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Exactly what you do..break it down into its components and find the calorie counts for each. You did right.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 174/163/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post

2) I'll do as you did and try to estimate the calories based on the ingredients. I will also usually add a couple of tablespoons of oil to that as most restaurants prepare food with more fat than I do at home.
This is exactly how I go about it too. Pay attention to my food so I can add it up later and then tack on extra oil.
fitx35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #11  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the replies everyone! Good idea to add the extra oil in. I do have "lose-it" on my iphone and will google nutrition information whenever I can- but I hardly ever eat out at chain restaurants and that's where I get into trouble and have to guess, the little no-name places NEVER list calorie/macro counts! Thats a good idea to look up a similar dish that another restaurant may serve. I also usually ask to have sauces on the side, no cheese, extra veggies vs. another side-- but its so hard to know how they are REALLY cooking my food-- I just wish that everyone would be required to post nutrition info. That would just make life so much easier

I'm glad to hear that everyone does something pretty similar to me. Thanks again
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote