Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

Angry Can you plateau after only a month?

I'm just so frustrated! I've done this before, I know my body and what I need to do to lose weight. I know what kinds of food will work and how much. I'm exercising and counting every calorie, I even weigh everything first to make sure I have the exact amount right. I have figured out my BMR and my activity level ("lightly active" I even aimed low just in case). So what's going on?

I started on January 3rd (not a new years thing, just when the timing worked out) and lost 3 pounds the first week, then 1, then 2, then nothing for 3 weeks. Not an ounce! I know for certainty that I'm not eating too much, so that's not it. And the first week I figured it might be water weight, but not for 3 weeks.

Here's a break down of my last week. My BMR to maintain my weight at my current activity level is 2263, so I eat 1000 below to lose 2 pounds a week, right? So, I'm allowed 1263 calories a day and my last 7 days are: 1194, unknown, 1260, 1284, 1309, 1220 and 1222. Yes, I have one unknown day there because I was visiting my mother. But she made healthy food (she's diabetic) and I didn't over eat. At worst, I might have eaten 1600 or so.

But, even if that one day had been 2200, it still wouldn't have caused me to gain weight, since it would only be at maintenance AND I should have at least a 6000 calorie deficit from the other days. In order for me to have stayed exactly the same, I would have had to eat 8200 calories on Saturday and there's just absolutely no possible way that happened!

So, this could be a plateau. But is it possible to plateau after only a month of weight loss? Last time I didn't really hit one (not counting the couple of times I didn't lose for one week, only to whoosh the next) until I had lost 65 pounds (8-9 months into it).

And the most frustrating thing about this is that I'm part of 2 local weight loss challenges (both with prizes!) and this is NOT helping!!! If this is a plateau, the timing sucks!
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:57 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Your losing weight is your body healing. This takes time. Be supportive of your body's process.

Your body is not a checking account with instant balance.

I think you are putting extra pressure on yourself that isn't needed.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #3  
the aly bagel

Your calories are too low I think.

Try taking a week and eating 1400-1800, you should break out of it.

Best thing to do when re-starting a weight loss routine, is to go as low as you can in calories while still losing weight, so that when you do hit a plateau like this you have room to go down.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I slowed down really fast this time around too, and I was terrified to add more calories, but I upped them from 1200-1400 to the 1600 range and my weight has started creeping back down again. I agree with schubunny, try upping your calories.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #5  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Check out the info from this site
Plateau/Refeed
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #6  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

I agree with astrophe, you need to give it a little more time. You're doing fine, you will see change. I would even up your intake but 100-200 calories every so often.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

*sigh*

Yes, I know it takes time. Like I said, I've done this before a couple of years ago. But when I did, I lost pretty well at the beginning, an average of 2 pounds a week. I'm not expecting to have lost 20 pounds by now, but to not see the scale move an ounce for 3 weeks when I've only been doing it for 6 weeks is confusing to me.

As far as my calories go, the reason I'm eating between 1200 and 1300 is because I've figured out my BMR factoring in my activity level. I didn't just pick the lowest number I can eat. This week happened to be a "good" week. Typically I do eat higher on the weekends (more in the 1500-1600 range) so there is some informal refeeds in there.

I was mostly wondering if anyone else heard of hitting a plateau this early.
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #8  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzie View Post
*sigh*

Yes, I know it takes time. Like I said, I've done this before a couple of years ago. But when I did, I lost pretty well at the beginning, an average of 2 pounds a week. I'm not expecting to have lost 20 pounds by now, but to not see the scale move an ounce for 3 weeks when I've only been doing it for 6 weeks is confusing to me.

As far as my calories go, the reason I'm eating between 1200 and 1300 is because I've figured out my BMR factoring in my activity level. I didn't just pick the lowest number I can eat. This week happened to be a "good" week. Typically I do eat higher on the weekends (more in the 1500-1600 range) so there is some informal refeeds in there.

I was mostly wondering if anyone else heard of hitting a plateau this early.
My BMR is lower than yours, but I know I can't realistically eat 1000 calories less a day because I'd be going below 1200. You have to be realistic with your body, and what you are eating is too low.

Of course it's your body and it's your choice, but I really think you need to eat more. Make it a 500 calorie deficit instead, and if you want to have more of a deficit then incorporate exercise.

EDIT: And yes you can get a plateau any time. I got mine the first month I started working out again. But a plateau is 6-8 weeks of no change. For you it's been only 3.

Last edited by schubunny; 02-10-2012 at 11:06 AM.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #9  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

You can plateau just after 7 days of eating too few calories. You should never ever ever EVER eat less than your BMR or you will plateau superfast and not come out of it without seriously overeating for a day or two (but no more, because then you will put on fat instead of water weight). For a steadier fat loss, calculate the calories you can eat for losing this way: BMR + normal activity level = daily caloric needs (DCN). What you can eat = DCN - 200 (or 300max). Then do some exercise, about 200 - 300 calories' worth et voila, you have created a 400 - 600 cal deficit.

Also, if you fill your daily calories with carbs, you will more likely gain (or not lose) weight. If you keep the calories from carbs under 50% and up the protein and (~30%) and fat intake, you will lose better.
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

I agree with the folks that say up your calories for a couple of days. Don't go crazy, 100-200 should be sufficient to see if that works. I would guess you are not getting enough to eat. You can always cycle up and down too. You might desire to lose 2 pounds a week, but if your body doesn't agree with that sort of deficit it will fight you.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Maybe your previous weigh-in was artificially low because of a diuretic effect of something you ate or drank, causing you to pee out more fluid than usual. So this apparent "plateau" may be nothing more than a correction. I truly believe that if you continue eating as you have been, the weight WILL come off. I hope you continue to trust the process, which IMO is as trustworthy as the laws of physics.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<Also, if you fill your daily calories with carbs, you will more likely gain (or not lose) weight. If you keep the calories from carbs under 50% and up the protein and (~30%) and fat intake, you will lose better.>>

I respectfully disagree with this and haven't found any credible research to support it. All scientific studies I'm aware of have found that low-carb and high-carb diets lead to a similar level of weight loss if the total calories consumed are roughly equivalent. My own experience certainly bears this out.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #13  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

When I started working out again, I had 6 weeks of no gain or loss. I just assumed mine was my body adjusting and that it would drop all at once. Funny thing is, I ended up dropping 10 pounds in the course of a month, during thanksgiving and christmas no less. I took two weeks off from working out during that time too...When I started up again, I didn't lose anything for a few more weeks. Then I lost a few more pounds, and keep hovering around that number xD...our bodies are wierd. Keep at it even if the scale isn't showing anything and eventually you'll see a drop...GOod luck
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #14  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
<<Also, if you fill your daily calories with carbs, you will more likely gain (or not lose) weight. If you keep the calories from carbs under 50% and up the protein and (~30%) and fat intake, you will lose better.>>

I respectfully disagree with this and haven't found any credible research to support it. All scientific studies I'm aware of have found that low-carb and high-carb diets lead to a similar level of weight loss if the total calories consumed are roughly equivalent. My own experience certainly bears this out.

Freelance
Fact is, it depends on the person. I gain on a high carb diet of 1600 calories a day, but lose on a low carb diet with the same amount of calories. Different bodies respond to different foods differently, regardless of what science says.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #15  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
True but if you dig into the studies you'll find that there is variability between individuals because someone insulin resistant might feel lethagic after too many carbs reducing NEAT while an insulin sensative person will be energized and increase NEAT. The output of the equation can be affected by the input side. Just as too much exercise can be detrimental to weight loss because it might make someone just want to lay on the couch all day so might too many carbs cause someone to fall into a carb coma.

To the OP - three weeks is not a plateau. After two months if the scale has not changed then you're at a plateau. Fat loss has most likely not stalled - just weight. Two seperate issues. I'm not trying to be insensative to your situation just helping you to understand reality. If you use other methods to measure progress such as measurments and pictures and rely less on the scale your life will be better for it. Personally I use fat calipers and measure skin folds.

If you're feeling good meaing not lethargic and not ravenous there is no reason to raise your calories. While it is possible a day of higher calories will cause you to release some water - it also might not. Just try to relax.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote