General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/170

Height: 5'11"

Default SIL, taco night, ohhh the stress!

Eeeek! My SIL & her family are visiting next weekend, & I'm.cookibg for us all one night. Hubby & I thought a taco night would be fun. She's extremely critical, rude but pretends to be fool sweet,etc. You get the picture. So, I'm stressed enough about trying to make sure the house is perfect & nothing can be criticized, although I'm sure she will find something. But, anyways, I need to make a rockin taco night ... And I'm looking for suggestions for appetizers, dips, desserts, taco toppings, really any type if recipe that would go well with a taco night. Please help me!
FatToFitWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

How about fish tacos with home-made taco shells (use tortillas), lime, cabbage....omg, I'm making my mouth water lol.

Tacos to me mean Mexican food, so going with that theme, I say either salsa, guac or queso dip ( which can double as a taco topping). For sides, either copycat chipotle cilantro lime rice or Mexican rice and then dessert, fried ice cream.

The good thing is that everything can be healthified if that's the route you wanna go.

Good luck!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Coincidentally REAL SIMPLE magazine this month has a whole taco party menu thing in one article about parties. Might check that out in the library.

I've done taco station before -- just put it all out buffet style.

tortilla Chips & salsa (store bought tomato and then a homemade mango cucumber)

taco shell
lettuce shredded
tomato diced
cheese grated
sour cream
extra salsa
crockpot ground beef filling
grilled chicken, peppers, onions filling

Fruit salad
Caramel flan or pineapple upside down cake

Whatever drinks you want.

Then just let everyone go to it.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #4  

Yummm!! Fish tacos I've only had them once, but they were heavenly!! Thanks! And yes, guac, salsa ... Lime rice? I'm going to Google a recipe now!! Delish!!! Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatToFitWife View Post
Yummm!! Fish tacos I've only had them once, but they were heavenly!! Thanks! And yes, guac, salsa ... Lime rice? I'm going to Google a recipe now!! Delish!!! Thanks
Cilantro lime rice

Its delicious! (I use brown jasmine rice and it turns out yummy)
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #6  

Thanks so much! Totally love the station idea And, the rice looks amazing!!!

That's awesome about the magazine! I'll have to check it out
Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

We do taco night a lot. Taco night for us means:

Soft corn tortillas
One vegetable filling - usually swiss chard tacos with caramelized onion, queso fresco and a dried red chili salsa, but sometime zuchini/mushroom
One protein filling (kicked up scrambled eggs, a lime-laded seafood salad, quickly seared fish) and the obvious accompaniments. Eggs usually get pico de gallo and a cubed avocado salad or simple sliced avocado. Seafood salad gets radishes and maybe pickled onions. Fish gets a crema-style sauce (greek yogurt, salt, cilantro, lime juice and zest, sometimes a pinch of sugar for balance), and thinly shredded cabbage.

I'll put out some soupy beans, or "fried" black beans - I just do a can of black beans, a (seeded and diced) chipotle in adobo and a little of the liquid from the can, and some onions. Cooked down and mashed.

I don't usually do an appetizer with it, because taco night is pretty casual in our house. If I were going to, I'd start with a salad of some kind. I might do sticks of cucumber/mango/jicama/ dressed with lime juice, salt and a little dried chili. Or a steamed chayote salad.

For dessert? a lime, tangerine or jamica granita? Roasted bananas or plantains? Coffee flan? Personally, I'd rather finish with a margarita...
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

I just wanted to comment about the SIL. There are people in my life I used to feel were judging me no all the time, and I was probably right. So when I got the chance to opt out of time with them, I did. At first I was afraid they'd judge me for opting out, but then I remembered they'd judge me not matter what I did and the time I spent on other pursuits paid off. So, I'm slowly learning that there's no point in trying to please critical people.

Just do what makes you happy and screw her! If she doesn't like your tacos then she can be hungry.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #9  

Flourless, can you come help me Friday ?? Sounds delicious!!! I'm going to use some of your ideas! The beans are a definate yes!! Thanks. So many creative, yummy ideas

Amy, amen sister!! Lol. First off, good for you for moving past that trying to please stage. I'm very comfortable with myself, my life, etc except when it comes to her. It's sickening how stressed she makes me. I'm honestly so stressed because of her that I've broken out, can't sleep, am basically redecorating my house, I'm a crazy woman right now. My hubby & I bought a house that needed a looooottttt of work, so we've fibally got it all done but I've put off really decorating much ... But now that she's coming, its like an entirely different house. I hate, hate, hate that she has this power over me. I dont know how to change it. She is so fake it actually is disgusting to watch! And yet, I bend over backwards to try to impress, gain approval, I don't know. I've stood up to her a time or two, but she really is just a b&%$h deep down, so it never stops. She doesn't respect that I'm her brothers family now & our relationship and life come first. Gosh, I've rambled. Thanks for listening
Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #10  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

I highly recommend Rick Bayless's "Mexican Everyday" if your local library has it. The recipes are nearly all really easy, healthy and well-portioned. It's not a "diet" cookbook, but he does talk in the introduction about weight loss and portion control and the importance of eating satisfying food.
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #11  

Thanks, flourless I'll check it out today!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Or you could make a big pitcher of margaritas and drop a sedative into your SIL's glass and have a stress free evening....what?? Its not your fault she can't handle her booze. lol
We do the buffet style for tacos as well. Talipa makes a fantastic fish taco cause there is barely a fishy taste. Just avoid those Taco Bell flavor packets. The last two times I used them, my husband and I felt sick.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #13  

Crystal .... You made my day!!! LOL!!! Seriously, good idea!!!! You might be onto something ... ;-)
Thanks for the advice on the taco bell ... I'll avoid that one!