Weight and Resistance Training - bruises on my hands?

View Full Version : bruises on my hands?

mariamherrera
02-10-2012, 01:34 AM
HI all! I'm new over here! I'm two weeks in to my plan been calorie counting and working out! I have a trainer and he's been really showing me how to work those weights as well at teaching me a lot of endurance and resistance training exercises! My question is this week I've been getting some pretty nasty bruises on my palms.. is this normal when you first start lifting? I saw some people wearing fingerless glove type things I wonder if I should get some? or will it go away once I get more used to it? or maybe it is from "trying" to do push ups" lol I say trying because all I can do for now is a few "girl" knee push ups and by a few I mean 2 or 3 LOL

Tourny
02-10-2012, 03:28 AM
bruising on one palm would be unlucky, bruising on both means you're trying to do too much too fast. talk to your trainer as injury will only slow down your progress.

Somni
02-11-2012, 11:23 PM
I've never had problems with bruising on the palms unfortunately. :( Curious to see what your trainer thinks though!

I do like the fingerless gloves sometimes. Some of the barbells, dumbbells, handles for machines, etc at my gym have like a rough metal surface that sometimes hurts when I'm lifting pretty heavy.

If you end up getting a pair for push-ups, you may want to get some that have more rubbery-sticky palms if you are doing push-ups on a smooth mat or floor type surface. As an added bonus, they probably give you some extra grip too. :) I just bought the cheapest pair at Dick's, which have a soft fabric palm, and they are fine for push-ups on the carpet and for minimizing calluses in general, but I don't like wearing them at all for push-ups on mats or tile floors because it feels like my hands are about to go sliding sometimes.

ValRock
02-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Hmmm I've never had bruising but get some pretty nasty calluses where my fingers meet my palm. I wear lifting gloves to prevent that.

Are you doing your pushups on a mat?

fromthebox
02-20-2012, 01:11 PM
I also wear gloves to prevent calluses. As to bruising I don't get it on my palms but occasionally from the squat bar. Never visible bruising though, just a bit of touch soreness.

As to gloves, I have some under $10 ones that have a little gel pad over the top of the palm but I picked them for fit more than the gel.