100 lb. Club - Diet Shakes

View Full Version : Diet Shakes

SmallSteps
02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Special K? Slim Fast? Something Else?

Love Them or Hate Them?

graatsia
02-08-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm currently trying out a bodybuilder's fat loss protein shake (Scittec New Form). It has L-carnitine and taurine inside, that in combination are supposed to speed up fatburn; also it promises to lower my appetite (which might be true, because I feel full constantly since starting taking it 3 days ago); and it tastes good but is very low in sugars/carbs. I picked chocolate variety, because they didn't have vanilla in the shop and strawberry sounded a bit more chemical.

Once, many years ago I fell to the "Diet Shake" death trap and had a meal replacement shake of this powder that promised to fix everything. I failed to notice that it was 55% carbs and 30% protein, with most carbs coming from sugar. Needless to say, I gained weight while on it, the sugar overdose actually raised my appetite and I constantly felt a little sick, because it was too sweet.

I believe the protein shakes help but you must pay a lot of attention to the content, no matter what the name of the product might imply to.

bargoo
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Carnation Breakfast Essentials.

SmallSteps
02-08-2012, 02:56 PM
How are those bargoo?

kaplods
02-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I like making my own. It's a lot simpler than it sounds. I buy plain, unflavored whey protein and then add it to almond milk, skim milk or other low-carb beverage, and then blend with frozen fruit in my Rocket blender (it's like the Magic Bullet only with a stronger motor). I may add flavorings and sweeteners (like Torani or Davinci Sugar free syrups or dry jello pudding mix).

My favorite recipe is 1/2c almond milk, 1/2c greek yogurt, 1/3 pkg pistachio sugar free pudding mix (dry mix straight from package), and 14 to 28g whey protein (90/10 ration of protein/fat).

It tastes like cheesecake.

I also make a chocolate banana that's really yummy: 1 cup milk or almond milk, 14 to 28g whey protein, 1/2 banana frozen (I freeze bananas in quarters) and 1/4 pkg jello sugar free chocolate fudge pudding mix (dry mix).

SmallSteps
02-08-2012, 08:15 PM
I have a magic bullet but it is definately not a blender!! ;)

Rapunzel
02-08-2012, 08:23 PM
I did slim fast for a while. It was...meh. I don't like substituting lunch or dinner for a measly shake.
Since I'm not allowed many carbs before 11AM (less than 5), I have been drinking an atkins shake for breakfast (which has 2 net carbs). They're not bad....I just miss my cereal. :(
Neither the slim fast or atkins tasted terrible right from the fridge. I had a protein shake for lunch though (with the mix and milk), but I had to put it in the freezer a while to chill because the taste wasn't as good otherwise.

SmallSteps
02-09-2012, 12:03 AM
I have been doing Special K chocolate for breakfast because I am not a big morning eater and it seems to be doable. I never could do slim fast it always made me ill.

duckyyellowfeet
02-09-2012, 12:53 AM
I hate them all. they taste too much like milk, which I don't drink.

I eat Luna bars instead, if I need a "meal replacement" type meal. They aren't amazingly awesome for you, but I seriously cannot drink meal replacement drinks.

ValRock
02-09-2012, 12:58 AM
The prepackaged ones are loaded with all kinds of garbage I'd rather not consume.

I do drink 100% whey after workouts but I think the branded mixes are unnecessary at best and unhealthy at worst.

The longer I do this the more I hate diet products. For the same amount of calories I can eat something that is actually nourishing my body! I'm learning to not just feed my face, but be mindful of the total nutrition of everything I consume..

Sorry I went off on a rant.... But no, I don't like them :P.

124chicksinger
02-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Being type 2 diabetic, there is a place in my diet for a Glucerna shake because it is convenient and, supposedly and purportedly, "perfect" for my metabolism and avoiding glycemic spikes. It definitely is a perfect breakfast to have discretely at my desk. At 200 calories it is enough to give me the energy I need to get me through to lunch (typically I'll have a fruit snack between meals) and frankly, the chocolate is, to me, delicious.

kaplods
02-09-2012, 07:36 PM

My Rocket personal blender (by Bella Cucina) is actually more powerful than my standard blender ever was (but my blender was an inexpensive Oster).

With my Rocket, I can crush ice to a "snow" consistency which I never could do with my counter top blender.

From what I understand, it mostly boils down the the motor strength to canister volume ratio (and also the sharpness and strength of the blades).

If I remember correctly, the Rocket blender has a 350 watt motor, while I believe the Bullet has only 250.

I would love to get one of the mega-powered blenders, but they're pretty expensive. I'm a cheapskate and have never paid more than $15 for a blender (even countertop).

Beverlyjoy
02-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I've never done a shake. But, I have two friends that lost all their weight having a Slim Fast for breakfast (only that meal). It's years now.. the still always have a Slim Fast - to maintain.

ValRock
02-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Ok I just want to throw this out there, guys.

Ingredients in Slim Fast:
Sugar (more than a Hershey Bar!), Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin (Corn Sugar), Gum Arabic, Milk Protein Concentrate, Cellulose Gel, Soy Fiber, Buttermilk Powder, Potassium Phosphate (Chemical food additive), Xanthan Gum (another food additive), Dextrose (Sugar AGAIN), Salt, Guar Gum, Soybean Lecithin, Artificial Flavors (Gross, any chemical cocktail they please), Carrageenan, Sodium Phosphate, Acesulfame Potassium(Artificial Sweetener), Aspartame (Artificial sweetener AGAIN). Vitamins and Minerals. Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Acetate, Ferric Manganese Sulfate, Copper Gluconate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Monoitrate, Chromium Chloride, Riboflavin, Biotin, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione Vitamin K1) Potassium Iodide, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) and Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12)

Just... no thank you. You can do SO much better mixing something up on your own and taking a multivitamin.

124chicksinger
02-09-2012, 08:14 PM
@Valrock - you are right, but sometimes that is a tradeoff for the convenience. I try not to think too much about what is in the shake, so long as it isn't aspartame and the like. The rest of the chemicals I've most likely in my lifetime eaten in one way or another. Entenmann's contains some nasty stuff too...and I used to eat it no problem...lol

Riesz
02-10-2012, 04:16 AM
I bought vanilla 100% whey powder and make my own shakes. I'd get tired of the prepackaged flavors and this way I can put whatever I want into them!

I've been experimenting lately with different combinations and it's really fun. :) I bought frozen berries and other mixed fruit and also cut up bananas and freeze them. I add flax seed, wheat germ, vanilla or mint or coconut extract or cocoa powder, almond or regular milk, etc. Make your own flavors according to your tastes!

bargoo
02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
How are those bargoo?

I actually like Carnation Breakfast Essentials I put them in the blender with non fat milk or Almond Milk and a banana sometimes a few strawberries. I have them first thing in the morning,

LuvMyMr
02-13-2012, 01:53 AM
If it has artificial sweetner in it, NO WAY!!! That stuff makes me crave sugar!

rainenroses
05-08-2012, 12:22 PM
I do slim fast powder, i have vanilla,choc,strawberry. i try to do 3 shakes a day and i also have slim fast snack bars and yogurt for snacks. i lost 40# before on this diet then my husband got ill so i didnt concentrate on a diet just him for a while till he got better. i went from an almost 24 pants to a 20.....im now a 16-18 pants and 247#......determined to lose 47 this summer!

LockItUp
05-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I make my own with protein powder. I have a blender ball shaker. It's super convienient, definitely only takes about 30 seconds (if that) to pour whatever liquid I'm using and dump the powder in and shake it up.

toastedsmoke
05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm not really into the shakes... But then I've never really liked smoothies or milkshakes etc. Recently I was sick and couldn't eat solids, I had Ensure and Complan as meal replacement beverages. They're both not at all bad tasting, Ensure is almost ice-creamy whilst Complan was like a cup of cocoa. And they both have a LOT of nutrients and are in the 250 calorie-range per serving.

Now that I'm better, i wouldn't do a meal replacement shake. i find them a little too creamy/milky. Besides I prefer to chew my calories so I feel like I've eaten. But Ensure and Complan weren't bad!

PinkLotus
05-08-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't like them. I just cannot feel full after having only liquid! I need a meal of "real" food. :)

Munchy
05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
I think I'd rather have some food over a shake, but that's because I don't really like sweets.

When I had a personal trainer he had me on a natural and low sugar whey protein. I used to mix it with ice and coffee - it was the only way I could stomach such a sweet drink! :p

SmallSteps
05-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Ok I just want to throw this out there, guys.

Ingredients in Slim Fast:
Sugar (more than a Hershey Bar!), Sunflower Oil, Maltodextrin (Corn Sugar), Gum Arabic, Milk Protein Concentrate, Cellulose Gel, Soy Fiber, Buttermilk Powder, Potassium Phosphate (Chemical food additive), Xanthan Gum (another food additive), Dextrose (Sugar AGAIN), Salt, Guar Gum, Soybean Lecithin, Artificial Flavors (Gross, any chemical cocktail they please), Carrageenan, Sodium Phosphate, Acesulfame Potassium(Artificial Sweetener), Aspartame (Artificial sweetener AGAIN). Vitamins and Minerals. Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Acetate, Ferric Manganese Sulfate, Copper Gluconate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Monoitrate, Chromium Chloride, Riboflavin, Biotin, Folic Acid, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Phytonadione Vitamin K1) Potassium Iodide, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) and Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12)

Just... no thank you. You can do SO much better mixing something up on your own and taking a multivitamin.

That is a lot of crap for something that is suppose to be a healthy meal alternative.

SarahFairhope
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
LOVE mine!! Its called VHP (very high protein), its a meal replacement and pretty dang tasty. Here is the break down:

NUTRITION FACTS

Serving Size: 1 packet
Servings Per Container: 7 per box
Calories per serving: 250
Calories from fat: 30
% Daily Value
Total Fat: 3.5g 5%
Saturated Fat: 1g 5%
Cholesterol: 30mg 10%
Sodium: 400mg 17%
Potassium: 840mg 24%
Total Carbohydrates: 23g 8%
Dietary Fiber: 3g 11%
Sugars: 12g
Protein: 35g 70%

Loaded with protein, which totally keeps hunger at bay until next meal time. I used to buy them through a bariatric physician but found a place online that sells them.

SmallSteps
05-08-2012, 01:42 PM
I have revolved since my last post. If I am going to have a shake I make my own with yogurt, skim milk and fresh fruits. I find them more fulfilling and I know what I am putting into my body.

Misa66
05-09-2012, 06:57 AM
I've tried the substituting 2 meals a day with shakes but I only go along with it for a few days and give that up. For MY lifestyle it's just really tough to keep that up but I'd like to :)

I've been DYING to try the Glowing Green Smoothie to see if I like it and I'd love to incorporate that into my diet, I've heard of all it's great benefits and honestly I could for sure use all those leafy greens that I don't normally eat

Rocki
05-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Is there anyone doing a "shake" type diet right now substituting 2 shakes per day? I just want a jump start and can't seem to stay focused on any one plan. I have some meal replacement shakes in the house already so I think I'm going to just try them and see how it goes. I just need to figure out my snacks and workout routine.

JMfan
05-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Not a fan of the prepared shakes. Gross, chemicals, coloring, boring, expensive after a while... Much prefer to make my own. I like controlling what goes in and mix up the ingredients regularly.

fyreflie24
05-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I live by my shakes:
1c unsweetened soy milk, 1-2 scoops whey protein, unsweetened cocoa, chia seeds (soaked in water, kept in the fridge), banana, 2 tlbs better n' peanut butter.

I have one for breakfast every day and sometimes for lunch or dinner. Fill me up, quick and easy if I don't feel like cooking or I'm around a yoga practice and don't want anything super heavy.

spinderella
06-18-2012, 02:37 AM
I have been toying with the idea of doing the shake thing. Not on a everyday type thing because like most have said, there is no way I could just "drink" a meal. Just occasional when I don't have time to make a meal.

The current craze around my area are the ItWorks or Visalus shake mixes. Anyone here try any of these??

I was given a sample of the Visalus shake and been reluctant to try it. :)

Serving Size: 2 rounded scoops (26g)

Calories 90
Calories from Fat 10
Total Fat 1 g 2%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 15 mg 5%
Sodium 75 mg 3%
Potassium 125 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 5 g 22%
Sugars <1 g
Protein 12 g 24%

Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 30%
Iron 5%
Vitamin D 30%
Vitamin E 30%
Vitamin K 30%
thiamin 30%
Riboflavin 30%
Niacin 30%
Vitamin B6 30%
Folate 30%
Vitamin B12 30%
Biotin 30%
pantothenic acid 30%
Phosphorus 30%
Iodine 30%
Magnesium 30%
Zinc 30%
Selenium 30%
Copper 30%
Manganese 30%
Chromium 30%
Molybdenum 30%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily
Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:

Calories: 2,000 2,500
Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g
Saturated Fat Less than 20 g 25 g
Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
Sodium Less than 2,400 mg 2,400 mg
Potassium 3,500 mg 3,500 mg
Total Carbohydrate 300 g 375 g
Dietary Fiber 25 g 30 g
Protein 50 g 65 g

Calories per gram: Fat 9 • Carbohydrate 4 • protein 4

Other Ingredients: Soy Protein Isolate, Digestive Resistant
Maltodextrin (from Fibersol™), Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey
Protein Concentrate, DiCalcium Phosphate, Sunflower Oil, Natural
and Artificial Flavor, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Maltodextrin, Gum
Arabic, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Caseinate, DiMagnesium Phosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Soy Lecithin, Mono and Diglycerides, Patented
Protease (from Aminogen™), DiPotassium Phosphate, Sucralose,
Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Acetate, Chromium Amino Acid Chelate,
Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate, Selenium Amino Acid Chelate,
Biotin, Vitamin A Palimate, Niacinamide, Potassium Iodide, Zinc
Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Pantothenate, Cyanocobalamin,
Manganese Sulfate, Cholecalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,
Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Phytomenadione and Folic Acid.

Contains: Milk and Soy

Allergen Warning: Manufactured on equipment that processes
products containing milk, egg, soybeans, wheat, shellfish, fish oil,
tree nuts, and peanut flavor.

(Thank goodness I found the actual ingredient list on the internet, there's way no way I could have typed ALL that out!)

synger
06-18-2012, 09:03 AM
I keep the stuff for shakes on hand, but seldom remember to make one. Because I limit carbs, the low-fat (and thus higher-carb) ones like Slim-Fast tend to have way too much sugar for me.

I keep vanilla and chocolate whey powder on hand, frozen berries in the freezer, and when I want a shake I mix whey with milk, berries, and other flavorings. My favorite is chocolate whey with extra cocoa, mixed with milk and coffee, with frozen strawberries and spinach. Because it's chocolate, the spinach isn't overwhelming.

I use an immersion blender to mix mine.

oksoitsjen
07-08-2012, 02:33 AM
I have been toying with the idea of doing the shake thing. Not on a everyday type thing because like most have said, there is no way I could just "drink" a meal. Just occasional when I don't have time to make a meal.

The current craze around my area are the ItWorks or Visalus shake mixes. Anyone here try any of these??

Serving Size: 2 rounded scoops (26g)

Calories 90
Calories from Fat 10
Total Fat 1 g 2%
Saturated Fat 0 g 0%
Trans Fat 0 g 0%
Cholesterol 15 mg 5%
Sodium 75 mg 3%
Potassium 125 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 7 g 2%
Dietary Fiber 5 g 22%
Sugars <1 g
Protein 12 g 24%

Vitamin A 30%
Vitamin C 30%
Calcium 30%
Iron 5%
Vitamin D 30%
Vitamin E 30%
Vitamin K 30%
thiamin 30%
Riboflavin 30%
Niacin 30%
Vitamin B6 30%
Folate 30%
Vitamin B12 30%
Biotin 30%
pantothenic acid 30%
Phosphorus 30%
Iodine 30%
Magnesium 30%
Zinc 30%
Selenium 30%
Copper 30%
Manganese 30%
Chromium 30%
Molybdenum 30%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily
Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:

Calories: 2,000 2,500
Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g
Saturated Fat Less than 20 g 25 g
Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
Sodium Less than 2,400 mg 2,400 mg
Potassium 3,500 mg 3,500 mg
Total Carbohydrate 300 g 375 g
Dietary Fiber 25 g 30 g
Protein 50 g 65 g

Calories per gram: Fat 9 • Carbohydrate 4 • protein 4

Other Ingredients: Soy Protein Isolate, Digestive Resistant
Maltodextrin (from Fibersol™), Whey Protein Hydrolysate, Whey
Protein Concentrate, DiCalcium Phosphate, Sunflower Oil, Natural
and Artificial Flavor, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Maltodextrin, Gum
Arabic, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Caseinate, DiMagnesium Phosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Soy Lecithin, Mono and Diglycerides, Patented
Protease (from Aminogen™), DiPotassium Phosphate, Sucralose,
Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Acetate, Chromium Amino Acid Chelate,
Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate, Selenium Amino Acid Chelate,
Biotin, Vitamin A Palimate, Niacinamide, Potassium Iodide, Zinc
Oxide, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Pantothenate, Cyanocobalamin,
Manganese Sulfate, Cholecalciferol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,
Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Phytomenadione and Folic Acid.

Contains: Milk and Soy

Allergen Warning: Manufactured on equipment that processes
products containing milk, egg, soybeans, wheat, shellfish, fish oil,
tree nuts, and peanut flavor.

(Thank goodness I found the actual ingredient list on the internet, there's way no way I could have typed ALL that out!)

My brother did the ViSalus 90 day challenge. He lost around 35 pounds without working out. He loved it so much that he is now selling the stuff -and continuing to lose weight. He looks great. He gave me a bag of the shake mix, and to be honest, I have been too lazy to make the shakes in the morning. BUT, I think I am going to give it a try tomorrow. I will let you know how it is!

Amarantha2
07-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Slim Fast has a low carb shake as well, without all the sugar. It has the Slim Fast taste, which I like, and 20 grams of protein. It is a little hard to find and sometimes hard to spot as its packaging looks just like the high sugar kind. It is in chocolate and vanilla cream flavors.

HealthyMeWannabe
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
I use shakes as a meal replacement often, usually for breakfast. I combine a cup of milk with the EAS vanilla soy protein powder for my shake. It's actually very creamy and I like it a lot. It's fast, tasty, and quick. The bottle says not to use it for weight loss, but to use it to help your muscles heal after a good workout. Still, I use it as a meal replacement. I like to sleep until the last possible minute every morning and this is a quick way for me to get something in my stomach before work if I don't have time to cook breakfast. I figure this is better than stopping by McDonald's for a 710 calorie steak bagel! ;)

Sandi
07-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I have oatmeal for breakfast, but add a shake to get in my protein. My protein doesn't have carbs, so it's not really designed to replace a meal anyway. It's http://www.premiernutrition.com/protein-shake.html. As long as I pour it into another cup and don't drink from the carton, it's very good.

You can get them at Sam's Club or Costco

TamTam
07-08-2012, 06:58 PM
I make my own but it is more of an afternoon snack than a meal replacement. I put 1 cup juice, 1 scoop whey protein, 1 low lite yogurt, 1/2 cup fruit and 2 tbsp flax seed, put it all in my magic bullet and yum!

mccull83
08-20-2012, 06:13 PM

I LOVE visalus! You are supposed to use it for 2 meals a day and then eat sensible snacks/3rd meal (I think), but I just use it for dinner. A couple of my coworkers tried it too and 1 or 2 of them said they didn't get full on it, but I find myself full enough if I do it for dinner because it only has to last until you go to bed.
I love it with skim milk, ice and frozen strawberries. My other favorite is original almond milk, ice and unsweetened cocoa with it.:love:

mccull83
08-20-2012, 06:24 PM
I should add that I don't sell the product, I just find it a good way to get around my sweet tooth (If I have one of these then I don't constantly crave cakes, cookies, etc.).
Basically it looks like everyone just needs to pick something they feel is healthy and they like the taste (I'm also a fan of slim fast because the chocolate one is SO GOOD! I use slim fast occasionally while we're on vacation because it's so convenient to replace a meal here and there)

dervilfal
08-20-2012, 06:30 PM
We make our own protein shakes a few times a week for breakfast to go with our p90X routine - just fruit, milk, and whey protein with a little flax added in. They taste good, and are filling, I just hate taking the time to make them and clean up after them.

DollyR
08-22-2012, 05:17 AM
You know reading this post made me think about when I am on the road and trying to get in a good and healthy lunch. I should consider taking something like this with me instead. I dread those trips because there is not much around where I have to go travel to. Which ones would be the best if I had to drink it warm and did not want a lot of sugar in it?

42goingon20
08-22-2012, 10:51 PM
I love yoplait vanilla lite yogart blended with fresh fruit, skim milk and protein powder. Reminds me of a milkshake!

angieand2girls
10-03-2012, 02:42 PM

HAHAHAHA!!! :D

SmallSteps
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
HAHAHAHA!!! :D

Someone finally got my twisted adult humor. LOL