100 lb. Club - Fast Food Addiction

View Full Version : Fast Food Addiction

oneshortday
02-07-2012, 11:53 PM
One of the biggest struggles I've had with my dieting has and always has been fast food. Plain and simple, I'm addicted. It took me forever to admit this, even if I've known it for a long time. I don't have much excuse for it apart from how easy it is and how filling it can be (not to mention the taste, usually!) and that I was pretty much raised from a child on a diet of happy meals. I feel like if I could just get over this hurdle, I would be on the road to a way healthier life. :( Have any of you ever experience food addiction like this? If so, how have you overcome it?

Also, on a different vein, if any of you are also on/have been on the fast food wagon, did you taper off of it slowly or did you do it cold turkey? Lately I've been getting it when I need to but having only small portions or kids meals, and so far I haven't exceeded my calorie limit with this method. Should I be abstaining from that at all costs? I always feel so guilty afterward, even when meeting my calorie and nutrition goals, but it's just so difficult to manage a full time work + school + exercise and still have time to make meals for the whole next day.

angelskeep
02-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Hi there! I am not new here, but have been absent for a while and it's time to get back in the swing of things again.

Anyhow, to answer your question, I used to eat an awful lot of fast food. I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago and for the first few months, I lived on Hot Tamales candy and those steak burger things from Burger King. And it only took a few months to gain 80+ pounds eating that way. YIKES!

I was really worried about how to survive without all those burgers and fries and shakes. For m, the best thing was to just quit completely, except for frosty Friday, which meant a single small Frosty from Wendy's, once a week. My hubs fetched it on his way home from work at 11:30 pm, so I didn't have to deal with anything except the frosty he brought home, no smells, no "cheap deals" to tempt me, no "just this once". I went very far out of my way to make sure I had lots of other options available 24 X 7 because I needed to make healthy food as easy to get to as fast food, or what I now call "crap and garbage". It was really hard at first, but after a while, I didn't really mind anymore. We went for a fast food burger after about 4 months of calorie counting and exercise it it was GROSS! Salty, greasy and felt like a lump of goo sitting in my stomach. Funny how the palate can change over time. If you can just take it minute by minute, or even second by second, eventually you will get past it. You can make a lot of the stuff at home and do it in a low calorie but very flavorful version. Baked sweet potato "fries" instead of deep fried russets. I have a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer, and I grind my own boneless/skinless chicken breast for burgers so they are totally low fat. All of my friendsds who are skinny and don't have to diet come over for dinner and never know if they are having "diet" food or regular unless I tell them.

Gosh, my first moment back here and already I'm pounding away at the keyboard.

Long story short...I was there and I made it through by staying completely away from the fast food places and replacing them with made at home version with lots of flavor but not fat, sugar, salt. Spices and veg. If you're interested in recipes to get you started, let me know and I can copy/paste them from my files.

Barb

rakel
02-08-2012, 12:20 AM
I think there are some healthy options at fast food places, but no where near as yummy as food you prepared yourself (like salads, but beware those can have more calories than the burgers!). Your best bet is to steer clear. I'm not saying every once in awhile is going to kill you, but it shouldn't be a regular thing.

I never used to have much of an issue with fast food and soda myself until I got with my husband. We've been eating fast food more lately and I have to be honest, it's not that great. The last few times we got Steak n Shake I pretty much felt sick afterwards. I can't eat greasy or fried foods anymore...or really sweet, sugary things (well, except for chocolate and ice cream. I can sur eat a lot of that no problem, lol). Just take a break from it and try to come up with some quick healthy meals you can make fast. Salads, sandwiches, steamed veggies, etc.

Vex
02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
Yep, been there. It was pretty much all I ate for quite a few years between family - work - school.

I quit cold turkey. To make up for it I usually have some sort of easy microwave frozen dinner or something. (lean cuisine, healthy choice etc.) I hate cooking and I'm not good at it so this was a good option for me. Plus it's fast, cheap and easy.

Honestly, I don't crave it anymore. That's maybe after about 4ish months. I can even pick something up for my son from time to time and drive the whole way home with it - smell and all - in my car. It just doesn't grab me anymore.

My husband was a bit different (he lost over 100 lbs). He didn't give it up but got different things such as chicken wraps and never any fries.

I always hear people say if you give up amazing amounts of fast food, you won't crave it after awhile. I hope that is the same for you.

duckyyellowfeet
02-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I just stopped eating it, except for the rare In-n-Out runs. Now, I keep easy food with me and I have easy go-to dinners at home.

Cutting out fast-food was a side effect of the last time I lost weight. Even when I was regaining, I didn't crave it. After a while, it just tastes like salty, over-processed junk and the delicious memories subside.

oneshortday
02-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Lately I've mostly been trying to stick to Subway and that sort of thing - and I know that's truly not a fast food place, and I can get a 6 inch ham without fixings and only total 250-300 calories and be VERY full (also it's right downstairs in my workplace so it's easy to get!) But those rare moments when I get something from a drive-thru are getting fewer and far between. I looked at the scale today and saw I'd dropped another two pounds, and it's made me so excited that I'm hoping it'll motivate me to let it go entirely soon. Thanks for your advice, everyone!

SmallSteps
02-08-2012, 03:27 PM
I was definately addicted and I quit cold turkey just like I did with soda. I can't ever just have a small portion of that garbage so I just don't tempt myself with it!

I have found I love subway as a healty alternative.

KatMarie
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
I was addicted to junk food...it's all I ate! There were days all I would eat was icecream and Cheetos. Seriously. Or candy bars and coldcut sandwiches. Or some kind of pasta, hamburger casserole. Quick, fattening, sugary, carby junk. Never ate veggies, fruits or lean meats. Im suprised I didn't drop dead from a heart attack. I quit cold turkey. I had to. It was hard but worth it. I don't miss that kind of food anymore. Truthfully, I've recently had a few bites of a candy bar and an icecream cone and they tasted disgustingly sweet and coated my mouth in a funny lard taste...ick. I crave raw veggies and fruit now. Love chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon...red meats taste fatty and give me indigestion. Your taste buds will change! The cravings will go away for salty, fatty, sweet junk.

theox
02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I wouldn't say that I was a fast food addict, but I definitely ate a lot of junk.

I tapered off slowly. I made small changes when I did eat out, like choosing small meals or ordering a la carte, choosing water instead of a sugary beverage, not ordering dessert, etc. I also ate out less often and started learning how to cook. The more foods I learned how to make, especially those using only fresh/minimally-processed ingredients, the better I feel and the worse fast food tastes to me.

It's a process. Keep plugging.

dstalksalot
02-09-2012, 02:05 AM
At this point in my journey, I can still eat FF one maybe two times per week but I have to be very careful what I eat. I do NOT eat the fries or soda and go for a side salad with light dressing and water. Chick fil A has an amazing side salad that I get with my sandwich that comes with a sunflower seed packet. My meals there are under 500 calories...this meal helps me stay on track for the rest of the week!

Taco Bell even has lighter options but in every case I have to go in with a meal plan, know my calories and not deviate from the plan.

Kitcherella
02-09-2012, 04:42 AM
Fast food is designed to make us want it. I haven't had any lately but I was really surprised a couple of days ago when somebody was eating a burger and fries and I was hit with the smell. It didn't smell like a nice juicy burger I can make at home, it smelled like fast food if you catch my drift. The enticing smell that tells you EAT ME.
Same thing with a bag of chips - the moment the bag was opened the room was filled with a fantastic smell. But then it hit me. How can this be good for me? Nothing smells like this naturally. What kind of awful chemicals make this happen?
As far as calories are concerned, eating the classic combo-burger,fries,soda is somewhere close to the daily recommended intake. And as for nutritional value little if any.
So I think I will say no to fast food, I don't like eating chemicals, not to mention questionable meats and oils. There are always better options.

May I suggest watching a couple of documentaries on fast food?
They may help. Super size me & Food, Inc.

DesertTabby
02-09-2012, 05:18 AM
In all honesty it is up to you. If you're feeling guilty eating it despite not ruining your diet then perhaps you need to back off fast food so it won't have that much power over you. It shouldn't be a struggle, it should be something to grab when you have no other choice.

I have to admit I am one that incorporated fast food into my diet. Since I count calories (with less emphasis on micro-nutrients back then) it was easy to have a meal every once in a while but still lose weight.

Like you I realized I was wasting a lot of calories on fast food since I don't feel as full or satisfied when done, even when I switched from big meal McD's and KFCs to smaller meals (1 QP=a full happy meal for example, plus you get a toy!) But I did feel a lot better when I focused on lower calorie and recognizable fast foods such as Subway, Quizno's, and especially Pret-a-Manger in London.

I've started to notice that I keep going for 'healthier' options when eating out now. I still love the smell and the taste of McDonald's (the ones not in the U.S. at least; I don't know why but U.S.-McD's tastes so much worse than the ones across the ocean), but I can't even remember the last time I ate it. I figure it will always be there so I don't have to eat it today, I can have it tomorrow (but then I say the same thing tomorrow...) and without realizing it weeks have gone by with nary a happy meal in sight!

Eliana
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I too can't say I was addicted, but I certainly contributed to their payroll now and then.

I didn't stop cold turkey. I found healthy options and stuck to those for those times I thought I needed fast food. This would be times when I forgot my lunch at work or didn't have time to make dinner. I'm ok with a McDonald's grilled chicken, half the bun, no mayo. At the time I also accepted the fresco menu at Taco Bell. Since then, I've discovered I actually never NEED or evern want fast food. The only exception is like angel's frosty. I indulge in McDonald's Sundaes.

My go-to meal when I don't have time to cook dinner is a Meijer rotisserie chicken now. That's my "fast food". It's no longer even an issue. I did not make the conscious decision to stop going there, it just happened as my healthy life style began to naturally take over. I actually WANT to eat healthfully and I crave healthy foods.

Riesz
02-09-2012, 11:23 AM
I used to eat way too much fast food, usually 4-5 meals per week. My mother was addicted to it (and still is) so would bring us home fast food instead of grocery shopping or cooking a meal.

That food is *engineered* to be addictive. It's filled with fake coloring, flavoring, and tons of salt and sugar just to keep you hooked.

I couldn't fully get away from fast food while I was still home with my mother so I began researching on restaurant websites what the healthiest options were. I'd usually order a salad with grilled chicken and use only 1/3 of the dressing packet.

Now that I live on my own I avoid fast food completely and cook healthy versions of my old favorites. I love making homemade tacos, tomato rice, and refried beans! Turkey burgers with ranch mix are delicious! I love oven roasted herbed potatoes.

Also a while ago I read somewhere on these forums about someone who would do salad makeovers of their favorite fast food, like Big Macs. They'd use ground beef, thousand island dressing, and lots of veggies and lettuce! Taco salads are delicious too!

Cooking can be daunting at first but I made food in large quantities so I have plenty of leftovers for fast and easy meals. If I'm grilling chicken then I do enough for that dinner plus lunch and dinner the next day. Soups/stews often make a large amount and can be frozen for easy reheating later. Even if you don't have much time/joy for cooking it can be done infrequently with large batches.

djs06
02-09-2012, 11:31 AM
I ate it a lot at one point. Sometimes twice a day. But I'd say on average, probably about 4 or 5 times a week. And while I'm certainly no angel all time time eating wise, that's one thing I've gone cold turkey on and actually don't miss. When I get cravings it's very rare that they are for fast food. Believe me, there is hope!

I don't think it's something I could easily "wean" off of- because as soon as you have it, say, more than once, you start to crave it more. I do really like Angel's "frosty Fridays" idea though!

baker23
02-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Burgers are my favorite food and fast food burgers? OMG *drools*...I grew up on them, and have had so many in my lifetime that in theory, I should be sick of em...But nope.

A few months ago I started slowly easing up on the amount of times I got one a week. I haven't ordered one for over a month now. I still crave them. But I want my body to be healthy more. There is a subway right across the street from wendy's here. Anytime I go with the intention of getting a burger, I pull into the subway parking lot instead =D

WildThings
02-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I wish I had a magic recipe for giving up fast food. As a life long fast food junkie it was without a doubt the mist difficult habit to break and I will admit I didn't break it on my own. Back in October I got food poisoning from a popular fast food restaurant and was so sick for several days that it has almost completely curbed my fast food addiction. The idea of other people touching my food turned my stomach and anything remotely greasy for a month after literally made my stomach hurt. After avoiding it for awhile, I got over the irrational fear of people touching my food, but I had finally broken my pattern if fast food meals. Now it seems like the only time I even want it is with pms and even then the desire is easy to push away.

kylonaa
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
I had a serious problem with fast food for a long time to the point of eating it pretty much every day, sometimes twice a day. I always felt guilty afterwards but couldn't stop. Then one day, when I felt ready, I had someone read to me the ingredient list of a mcdonalds "cheeseburger" or "chicken" burger. Let me tell you, its not for the faint of heart. Listening to the junk in them, something finally clicked. I knew I couldn't keep doing that to myself. From then on, when I wanted mcdonalds, I imagined some of those less savory ingredients in my mouth and that was enough to turn me off of it. I gave up McDonalds 14 months ago, but it wasn't until September of last year I gave up the rest of fast food a similar way. I still go to sit down restaurants for dinner out if I really want a burger but have removed the option of eating from any place that has a drive through. For me it had to be all-in... no "special occasions" or "just this once" because that becomes a slippery slope. I think for me the most helpful part was removing it as an option entirely, using negative visualization, and allowing myself a version of the food I really wanted as long as I made it at home or bought it at the grocery store. That, and I had to truly believe that it was bad for me. I thikn that's what took the longest. Hope that helps a little...

oneshortday
03-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Right now my current pitfall is that I can pretty easily include it in my calorie counting...which I know is a mistake. I'm weening myself off because going cold turkey seems to make me feel like I'm deprived, which sounds silly to me but that's kinda how it is. :( Thank you so much for your advice everyone - I'm trying! At least I'm almost 10 pounds down, all things considered.

linJber
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm going to make a comment at the risk of offending. And I'll qualify it with this - it's easy for me to say just give it all up cold turkey because fast food never had a huge pull on me. I'm sure it's a generational thing - I didn't grow up with it. I had my own set of other eating problems, so I'm not trying to point a finger or lay blame.

But all that said, to all of you who say they are addicted - can't you see it's probably one of the biggest reasons we, as a nation, are so severely overweight? We know that eating it makes us fat. Therefore, we know the answer to the problem is to cut it out. Pretty much completely.

I don't put Subway in the same category as fast food burgers and fries. And there are some healthier choices to be made at all the traditional fast food places. But if that's what we had been eating all along, none of us would be in this boat, would we? I guess the totally sarcastic comment would be, "So how's that been working for you so far?" Eliminating fast food is one of the easy things we can do on this road to healthier living.

Lin

Gabe
03-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I ate it almost exclusively for a few years. Not just McDonald's, mind you--I'm including things like Noodles & Company and Panera in this equation, as well as local-type places. So it wasn't some massively huge corporate conspiracy to get me to eat their food.

To be honest, a large part of it was simply convenience. I didn't like cooking, and fast food could be had on the way home with a scant 10 minute blip in my commute. And it was consistent; I knew what I liked and knew what I'd be getting. That part of it was great. It was a hit to the wallet, but I didn't really have other expenses, and so could afford to put a large chunk of my income towards fast food.

I think general dissatisfaction had a lot to do with it, too. I didn't like my job or my circumstances; having whatever the **** I wanted to eat whenever I wanted it was a small comfort that I could easily work into my day without a lot of short-term effort or risk. Also, I've always been very particular about what I eat--not so much that I'm picky, but that losing control over it has always made me exceptionally cranky. I don't know why, or where it comes from, but there it is. It was a lot easier to get that kind of control with fast food than it was by learning how to make a bunch of healthy things that I liked.

That didn't really work out so well for me. I mean, we're talking two fast food meals per day. Maybe three if I hit up the cafeteria at work (seeing as I'd usually get a melt and chips). Any non fast food meals were usually at sit down restaurants, at which I made similarly awful choices.

When I made my change, I didn't quite go cold turkey. For me, calories are calories, and calories from McDonalds are the same as calories from home. Sometimes, I'd get a cheeseburger and a small fry. If I managed to miss lunch, I could even swing a McDouble and a medium fry. I've hit Subway a couple of times since then. I still have Panera once every two weeks, but that's limited to a You Pick Two caesar salad and chicken noodle soup combo (no side!). Over time, however, I've done that less and less. Not because fast food has gotten less delicious--it hasn't--but because my desire for consistency and control has led me to want my own usual meals instead of fast food. Weird, I know, but there it is.

I don't think that fast food always needs to be taboo--it's learning to control one's intake of it that's key. However, if it unleashes the inner craving monster in you--which it does for many, just as caramel corn and tortilla chips do for me--then it might be best to entirely avoid it.

KittyKatFan
03-05-2012, 10:41 PM
I wish I could be like those people who cut out fast food and now they can't stand the taste/sight/smell of it.

I have stopped eating it, but over the holidays I slipped a bit and tried one of the Wendy's burgers. Mmmmm....tasted so good. Better than I remember.

So I just have to keep away. The only fast food I occasionally eat is the grilled chicken Caesar salad from McDonald's, and I use my own low-cal Caesar dressing instead of the McDonald's dressing.

I do eat Subway quite regularly but want to get away from it. While it is low cal, the bread isn't whole grain and it feels like I'm eating empty calories. The preservatives in the cold cuts probably aren't all that great for me either. I am trying to switch to salads that I make at home. But it's hard to do because I would rather have the Subway.

Underwater
03-06-2012, 12:00 AM
I am always short on time, so I eat a plain grilled chicken sandwich from McDonalds with buffalo sauce maybe once a week or so- 400 calories. We also go to Panera and I'll get a chicken caeser salad- 510 calories. I also have a good burrito bowl at Chipotle- 500 calories.

If I had to prepare my own food to consider myself success with weight loss, I wouldn't stand a chance. I hate cooking :P

synger
03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
I think it really depends on where you are, and what your plan is. If you've eaten a LOT of fast food, and it connects in your mind with "bad" or "unhealthy" but you did it for years and it also connects with "tasty" and "filling", then there's a lot of mental programming that has to be undone. In that case, getting away from it completely, and avoidance techniques like reading the ingredient list and horror stories can be helpful. The point is to make fast food "forbidden" forever, or at least until you feel like you can control your choices when faced with a McDonald's menu. If a Big Mac is not in your plan, and you KNOW you'll order one anyway when you go to McDonald's, then you are NOT ready to give it a try.

That being said, there are a lot of fast foods that can fit into various plans, and can be a life-saver when you're pressed for time or traveling. I know what I can eat at McD's, Wendy's, and BK, as well as sub and pizza places. Planning ahead of time, looking at their menus online, etc., gives me the information and ammunition I need to make choices that fit my plan when I go to these restaurants.

astrophe
03-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Hrm. It's been a long time since I was hooked on it. It was in college because I was a broke college student and it's cheap, filling, accessible, etc. I remember one of my friends would buy up a mess of cheeseburgers when they went on sale Monday for ridiculous cost so he could store them in his dorm fridge and eat the rest of the week!

I went the way you did -- switch to kid sizes first. Then when I was in an apartment rather than dorms I could make my own burgers and oven fries which taste a lot better. It was also easier then (with a car) to keep a stash of frozen food so even when pressed for time I could have that instead. Car-less in a dorm far from a grocery, a lot of kids walked across the street to McD's. There were few alternates at the time from the school cafeteria. Now campus has a grocery onsite so the later waves of students living on campus have it a bit easier.

Mixing it it up with subway, boston market, chinese take out, etc helped too because I got more veg that way but that also came in time when more things built up near school.

I think if you are ready to let it go -- do it.

A.

sparkles86tn
03-06-2012, 11:31 AM
You could try eating the healthier options at the restaurants and smaller sizes. Examples: salads, fruit and yogurt parfait, kids meals, subway,etc.

You can look up calorie counts for your favorite restaurants at their websites.
I think a big thing with fast food is the fat and sodium count and the portion sizes.

With that being said, I've been craving Gen Tso's chicken from the local chinese restaurant. LOL! Two people can share the meal, be full, and have leftovers from that. So, if I pick that up, I guess my boyfriend and I will be splitting it.

gonnabfitmom
03-06-2012, 06:49 PM
I used to be a BIG fast food junky. I would go every day, multiple times. Breakfast biscuits, cheese burgers, chicken nuggets, chicken tenders, pizza, nachos from taco bell, burritos, fries, mozzerella sticks, you name it. I can't even believe I used to eat like that now.

But when I started my journey in Janurary I just cut it cold turkey and I didn't miss it because I was eating other, healthier but just as delicious items at home. Now, since I've been at this for a while, I can go to a fast food place and get a small grilled chicken sandwich or a yogurt parfait and bypass all the other calorie laden options. But DO NOT DO THIS unless you are *positive* that you can resist the other items. It's too easy to catch yourself in the drive thru intending to get something benign and end up with a double cheeseburger instead.

gonnabfitmom
03-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Hi there! I am not new here, but have been absent for a while and it's time to get back in the swing of things again.

Anyhow, to answer your question, I used to eat an awful lot of fast food. I quit smoking 3 1/2 years ago and for the first few months, I lived on Hot Tamales candy and those steak burger things from Burger King. And it only took a few months to gain 80+ pounds eating that way. YIKES!

I was really worried about how to survive without all those burgers and fries and shakes. For m, the best thing was to just quit completely, except for frosty Friday, which meant a single small Frosty from Wendy's, once a week. My hubs fetched it on his way home from work at 11:30 pm, so I didn't have to deal with anything except the frosty he brought home, no smells, no "cheap deals" to tempt me, no "just this once". I went very far out of my way to make sure I had lots of other options available 24 X 7 because I needed to make healthy food as easy to get to as fast food, or what I now call "crap and garbage". It was really hard at first, but after a while, I didn't really mind anymore. We went for a fast food burger after about 4 months of calorie counting and exercise it it was GROSS! Salty, greasy and felt like a lump of goo sitting in my stomach. Funny how the palate can change over time. If you can just take it minute by minute, or even second by second, eventually you will get past it. You can make a lot of the stuff at home and do it in a low calorie but very flavorful version. Baked sweet potato "fries" instead of deep fried russets. I have a meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer, and I grind my own boneless/skinless chicken breast for burgers so they are totally low fat. All of my friendsds who are skinny and don't have to diet come over for dinner and never know if they are having "diet" food or regular unless I tell them.

Gosh, my first moment back here and already I'm pounding away at the keyboard.

Long story short...I was there and I made it through by staying completely away from the fast food places and replacing them with made at home version with lots of flavor but not fat, sugar, salt. Spices and veg. If you're interested in recipes to get you started, let me know and I can copy/paste them from my files.

Barb

I second the homemade baked sweet potato fries. They are delicious! I eat them all the time with my veggie burgers. Great suggestion.

Trazey34
03-06-2012, 11:22 PM
I thought I was addicted to it (McDonald's most specifically) but it turned out I was just lazy as f**k LOL and addicted to the easy-peasy behaviour. I quit cold turkey one day, and never looked back. I never say never, as in "i'm never eating fast food again" so very rarely I'll get a sandwich (usually chicken, and no fries) and think "you do not control ME, sandwich!" ha, talking to food is bad right???

synger
03-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I never say never, as in "i'm never eating fast food again" so very rarely I'll get a sandwich (usually chicken, and no fries) and think "you do not control ME, sandwich!" ha, talking to food is bad right???

Talking to food is just fine...

... so long as the food doesn't answer back. ;)

LiannaKole
03-07-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm not addicted to fast food per se (relative to other Americans, I never ate much of it growing up). But I AM addicted to other foods, especially carby-sugary combos (like pastries). And a host of other things.

The addiction can be HORRIBLE, I know. Just today I decided to figure out how many times a day I feel a craving to eat (this does not include real hunger). In the span of 7 hours, I counted 26 times I had cravings. Sometimes 6 times in an hour. They ranged from mild to not so mild. And this wasn't even a hard day.

For me, if it's something like pastries or peanut butter, I have to cut them out altogether. I can't eat a little. Ever. I lose control. That doesn't work for everyone, but it tends to for me. It's when I think, "I've been doing so good with this! I can start slowly reincorporating X food," that I slip.

To answer your question, I haven't overcome it. I have to constantly strategize, avoid, substitute, distract, and power through. Not fun, but beats the alternative (super obesity, which I would easily reach given time and food).

Good luck! this is a good site for support.

Huzzahforska
03-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm a fast food addict. It's so hard for me to drive by them and not stop, but I decided to cut it out cold turkey and, while it's been hard, it's been worth it. I used to feel so guilty for eating fast food, but now when I get a craving, especially when I'm in the car and all I would have to do is turn the corner I decide to do something else. I usually call my fiance or someone else because I don't want them to hear me order fast food (I was a closet fast food junkie).. and by the time we've talked for a few minutes I'm long past the drive-thru and I don't regret my decision.

Curvaliscious
03-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Been there! Actually, I still do fast food all the time, however, I eat less or different foods.

I'm not sure at what point I discovered just how awful I feel after eating a Quarter Pounder with Cheese and large fries. I was exhausted and actually wanted to just sleep after I ate a meal like that. Funny thing is, it's different than if I were to eat a similar meal at home or a restaurant and I'm thinking it's because there is just so much darn sugar in the ketchup and buns,etc. I was also starting to get heart palpitations after having extra fried foods. Seriously....I had to make a change.

I still do fast food several days a week, but have made huge changes.
1. Subway is my friend. Not sure if it counts as fast food, but I love it!
2. Small portions if I DO want McDonalds, etc (but this is maybe 1x a month or every other month)...and even then, their small fries make me feel icky.
3. I find things I can eat. Carl's has a GREAT BBQ Chicken Sandwich for 350 (or so) calories. No fries.
4. Wendy's has really good salads and sometimes I add a chicken sandwich or nuggets (not ideal, but better than before).

I told my husband I should write a book and show weight loss while eating fast food every single day. NO, it wouldn't necessarily be the healthiest, but there are healthy options and if you stay within your calories you'll be fine.

Ultimately, we all know fresh (low cal, low fat, unprocessed) foods are best, but we can have fast food in moderation. This...coming from someone who used to eat it every single day.

Elladorine
03-08-2012, 05:25 PM
I go through cycles. Several weeks before I decided to eat healthier again I was eating out every day and got pretty sick of it. Both Jack in the Box and Wendy's sound the worst to me right now, McDonald's could be ok but luckily I haven't craved it in ages (a Daily Double and an unsweet ice tea is enough to settle me).

I'm not sure if I've been "addicted" to fast food for a while, although I know I certainly have been at times. If anything, I'm more addicted to the convenience of grabbing something on the go, as I don't like to cook.

stimkovs
03-09-2012, 02:21 PM
you know what's funny? i used to eat fast food all the time.
i include subway, starbucks, mcdonalds, wendy's, chinese take out, etc. in this category of "fast food". categorically: it is fast, if i don't have to cook it.

i also consider rotisserie chickens fast food: i didn't have to cook it.

ironically? i don't have a huge issue with it. even if i go over my calories. i will have the meal, then i will jump right back on the very same pony and continue on my merry way.

more ironically? i have an issue with wheat/carbs/sugar. i find that i cannot (for the most part) be around, near, or eyeball distance from them, especially when it is more then one portion, and it is at my house.

i ate a whole bag of ryvita crackers, with i can't believe it's not butter. in 2 days. why? it;s like carbosaurus rex is on the prowl.

a nf/skinny vanilla latte and an espresso brownie from starbucks? lead to a pint of ben and jerrys.

i find that if i white knuckle, and wean myself off something- i have no issue. but if i allow it into my house/ viscinity, serving sizes are out of question. I HAVE TO EAT IT ALL. this is something i am learning to deal with

wierd isn't it?