Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #1  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Unhappy First Overeating, Now Undereating.

Normally my issue is that I overeat. It's always been my problem. But for almost a week I've barely eaten a morsel of food. I'm so stressed out from several things going on in my life that I just don't want to eat.

This is bad for several reasons. One is that if it continues, overeating is probably at the end of this thing (from experience, I know my body craves food if it's left lacking too much). Another is that not eating slows my weight loss WAY DOWN. Like, 0.2 lbs in a week slow - I should be losing more, since I'm overweight. I've known this for a while and have always tried to eat enough to be healthy and lose weight.

But I am struggling with it right now. I just don't want food. Even when I'm technically hungry, I don't want it. I always feel nauseous from the stress, so eating doesn't appeal.

What should I do to try to keep my diet regular? (I'm working on managing the stress, which is priority #1, but I'd like some "until then" advice). It's hard to eat when I really don't want to.

I've never reacted like this to stress. I always eat too much, not too little. So I don't know how to manage this...

Any advice?
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #2  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

you could try exercise/activity. walking even. that alleviates my stress. and it would stimulate your appetite. try proteins, soups for veggies. stay hydrated, juices if you can't drink water

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 02-07-2012 at 12:47 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #3  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I can hear the frustration just by the words you have typed. And it is commendable that you are recognizing your triggers of eating and not eating. A few years ago I had a terrible break up. I was miserable, couldn't eat, etc. But just because I didn't feel hungry didn't mean I wasn't on the verge of passing out every hour or two! In the morning I ate a plain bagel, very slowly, little pieces at a time. No butter or anything. In the afternoon I'd eat some applesauce or soup and soup again for dinner. I was not getting all my calories in but it kept me from feeling lethargic and I was eventually able to work my way up to eating more food.

And I also took advantage of this "don't want to eat" time too. Because when I did regain the emotional and physical energy to eat I chose good things. Because by then most of my cravings for crap (albeit, delicious crap) that I used to overeat on were all gone. So although it wasn't the way I wanted to start my journey, there was a silver lining.

So go get some sugar free pudding snacks, crackers, soup, whatever. Start bland and work your way up. I know the thought of eating a piece of chicken right now makes you gag. I remember like it was yesterday. Just little bites at a time and you'll be fine.

And like dragon said above....try to find another outlet for your stress. Even if it's just a good book or movie. Something to drown out your thoughts.

Take care and many hugs!

Last edited by ShanIAm; 02-07-2012 at 12:58 PM.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #4  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Hey Lianna, big hugs to you first and foremost. I hope whatever stressors are plaguing you subside or disappear soon.

As for eating, I second ShanIAm's suggestion of bland foods. Try not to let calories and food occupy your thoughts too much since that's just stress being added on top of stress. It will probably help lift your moods to get a little fresh air and exercise - walking outside or just sitting in the sun for a little while can do wonders.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Hey Lianna, big hugs to you first and foremost. I hope whatever stressors are plaguing you subside or disappear soon.

As for eating, I second ShanIAm's suggestion of bland foods. Try not to let calories and food occupy your thoughts too much since that's just stress being added on top of stress. It will probably help lift your moods to get a little fresh air and exercise - walking outside or just sitting in the sun for a little while can do wonders.
This.

Don't add to your stress by putting too much pressure on yourself about food. I'll third the recommendation about bland foods as well. Plain Bagels, WW crackers, soups, bananas, apples, some mild cheeses those sorts of things.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

If you absolutely don't feel like you can eat anything try drinking protein shakes, nutrient rich premade drinks like Slimfast or some other drink similar.
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #7  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks, you guys. I'll try going with the relaxing exercises, the distractions and the bland food. Hopefully that'll work better than anything I've tried so far.

I really appreciate the good advice. As I said, I'm not versed in what to do if I'm NOT eating enough, rather than eating too much.

Fingers crossed that everything works itself out soon.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote