30-Somethings - how often do you weigh yourself?

View Full Version : how often do you weigh yourself?

BusyB
02-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Just curious how often everyone weighs themselves...

I've gained so much weight, I stopped doing it all together. I even started telling the nurse to stop telling me how much I weigh, until the new Dr. told me all about myself.

I know its easy to get discouraged when you don't see progress, so I'm hesitant to weigh myself for the first time.

Please share what you're doing.

Candeka
02-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I weigh myself every morning. I have a sheet on the wall in the bathroom (right above my scale) where I input my weight each morning. The sheet lasts 1 month. I do this so I can see the different fluctuation throughout the month. For example, every month ONE WEEK before my period, I go up about 2-4 pounds. This used to discourage me immensely, but after I started tracking I realized that the following week but weight would be back down to where it should be.

I refuse to weigh myself twice a day (morning and night) like some people do as I will ALWAYS be heavier at night due to food intake, and then I end up going to bed feeling horrible even tho I know by morning I will be back down. I have found my happy medium just weighing in the mornings.

berryblondeboys
02-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Before I started losing weight, for the last two years beforee that I decide to face the music...er... Scale. I decided no morer hiding from it and guess what.... It stopped going up even though I wasn't trying to control the numbers.

Now with dieting, I weight twice a day, once before going to bed so that I can have an idea of what to expect in the morning.... Mentally preparing myself for good or bad news. I sleep better that way. Then, first thing in the morning, after I pee and before taking my thyroid meds in the nude. That is my official weigh in number.

At night I will weigh 1.5 to 2 pounds more than I will the next morning unless I'm a bit dehydrated. So, like last night I got on the scale and weighed 178.2. I knew the lightest I would be this morning would be 176.2. And it was 176.6.

Eta: the best is when you step on the scale at night and it's lower than what you weighed in the morning. When that happens you know you are going to see a big loss the next morning. Of course, those nights I sleep less well because I'm excited about what I'm going to see on the scale in the morning.... Hmmm.. A trifle neurotic about the scale you think? I don't let it affect my mood throughout though... It's kind for a fun game I have... Charting every day on MyNetDiary app too. Well, some days it affects me like yesterday and today, but most of the time I don't battle the scale woes. As I understand the fluctuations.

Eta again: like now I just weighed myself and weighed 176.8. I know I'll see a significant loss for my official weigh in tomorrow now.

Sunshine73
02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I weigh myself every morning as a part of my daily routine. Weighing everyday isn't for everyone but for me it works well because it lets me see my weight as a fluctuating flow instead of feeling the pressure of a 'weekly' weigh in.

While I weigh and record my weight every morning, I pay attention to the overall trend of my weight over time and don't get hung up (or try not to) on the daily ups and downs.

mystyblue85
02-06-2012, 11:04 PM
I weigh myself everyday. It's almost a compulsion. I feel incomplete if I dont.

watchoutforthatcar
02-06-2012, 11:25 PM
I weigh myself everyday. It's easier now in the beginning when I'm seeing a constant loss, but when the scale stalls or shows a gain, I probably won't want to weigh everyday. I weigh in the morning before my walk after I pee and all that good junk.

Christaface
02-07-2012, 05:36 PM
I weigh myself once a week, on the same day, at the same time- right out of bed. I find weighing every day or multiple times a day to be a bit pointless and honestly, when I would do such things years ago, it would be so self-defeating! I don't think it's a great idea to obsess over "the number".

I did a hot yoga challenge in November- practiced every day for 30 days, and ate really, really well. All vegan, green smoothies, high in raw food, lots of fibre and water, nothing processed, etc., I think I had the same 3 lbs go up and down through the month. But! I took my measurements before and after the challenge, and had lost 15 inches all over, so I was pleased. (Additionally felt like a million bucks and looked healthy & vibrant!)

So yeah. I am a really big believer that the number on the scale is not worth obsessing over- especially if you're working out and building muscle mass, where you'll likely gain before you lose. I remember the last time I successfully stuck to a diet & workout routine, I went up about 5-6lbs with light weight training, treadmill & swimming before then seeing my weight go down.

Aunrio
02-08-2012, 12:11 AM
I weigh myself in the evenings only on days I went to workout. Never on Sundays or break days. That gives me 4-5 weigh-ins per week. I use live strong.com to watch fluctuations and to monitor trends in gaining or loss.

kateleestar
02-08-2012, 09:41 AM
I weigh myself every morning, after I pee, naked, lol... Seeing my weight often takes the power away from the number, IMO. :)

suzukigurl
02-10-2012, 02:59 PM
I weigh myself every morning, if I happen to have gone up a little it is my motivation to work harder, if I have gone down I do a little happy dance and work harder... LOL!!!

moviegrl1737
02-10-2012, 03:20 PM
I do weight watchers, so I only weigh once a week. I tried to do a pre-emptive weigh in to gauge what my number would be at the meeting, but the number just scared me and wasn't the same as the one the next day at the meeting. So I decided, why bother when only that weigh in counts.
The only other time I weigh in is at the doctor's office.

astrophe
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
In the morning and at night after I shower.

I know my weight can flux up to 3 lbs in a day so I'm glad to see confirmation of that and that I'm not crazy. Undiagnosed PCOS and hypothyroid caused a HUGE gain before I knew what was causing it and could get a dx. Now that I have the dx I want to know ASAP if something is getting funky. Then I know to get labs to check the meds asap!

If it's TOM time, I know it will veer up for a few days and the day is WHOOSHES off? Period's about to hit.

Food log tells me if I overdid the sodium.

I guess I like checking often and knowing what it is from. I don't need sneaky PCOS surprises. I have enough to lose as it is. LOL. :D
A.

Laura78
02-10-2012, 03:29 PM
I weigh-in once per week. I find that I get really upset with fluctuations during the week so it is better for me, personally, to weigh-in once per week. Plus it's more exciting that way!

kcoftx
02-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I weigh everyday for 20 years regardless of diet or not so I'm pretty used to the normal flunctuations and it doesn't throw me off course. It's like my diet journaling. I like seeing the data. Like a previous poster said, I don't feel complete for my morning routine until I do it. I rarely weigh at night but sometimes that is interesting too.

Many find scale weighing discouraging because of the flunctuations. I find it interesting. It's like a big logic puzzle and sometimes it does stump me.

Buckaustink
02-10-2012, 03:43 PM
I weight twice a day once when I am about ready to walk out the door before I am dressed.Then right when I get home from work. I know if I weight the same I will see a lose the next moring if I weigh a little more then my weight will be about the same. Its the only way to keep me accountable.

fitx35
02-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Daily as a reminder to start the day focused. I'll probably go to weekly once I hit a healthy weight.

shapedself
03-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Once a week, every Tuesday when I wake up. Those daily fluctuations can drive you crazy.

heathermichigan
03-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I used to weigh myself three times a week: Sundays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. But I found that if I gained between any of those days, I'd be upset until the next weigh in (when, of course, I'd lose that plus a bit more). So I made the decision this time around to weigh every day, accepting that my weight will fluctuate and that I need to be okay with that because that's life. WHEN (:D) I'm maintaining my weight, I will need to be cool with that, so I'm practicing.

kaplods
03-04-2012, 01:50 AM
At least twice a day. I know it sounds obsessive, but when I weighed once a week, I was constantly obsessed with thoughts of what I might weigh. Had I lost anything yet, how many days left til weigh-in, how much weight did I think I had lost so far, what was I going to do if I gained.... Even though I wasn't stepping on the scale, my thoughts were always on the scale.

I finally decided I was going to satisfy my curiosity and be done with it. So even though I weigh two or three times a day, I spend MUCH, MUCH less time thinking about the scale, so it actually keeps me from being obsessive.

It doesn't discourage me, because I didn't expect to see a loss every time, in fact I decided that I was going to celebrate "not gaining" and I even literally forced myself to throw a little fuss. I made myself do a little "happy dance" in celebration of "just not gaining."

And by weighing myself before going to bed and first thing in the morning (after peeing) I got to celebrate a loss every morning (yes, I know it isn't a "real" loss, but it is something to look forward to every morning).

For me, stepping on the scale gives me a reference point. If I go off-plan, and think "I've blown it," I step right on the scale. Rarely is there a gain or at least a large one, but it reminds me that I haven't blown it. It also gives me a "start-fresh" point that makes it easier for me to keep going with my day as planned.

In the past, if I felt like I'd "blown it" (and didn't weigh myself) I would assume that I had guaranteed myself a weight gain, and I would keep eating at least until the next morning (or if I was weighing weekly, until my next weigh-in day).

By weighing frequently every time I step on the scale, it's not exactly like I see it as "do-over" so much as a reminder that I haven't blown anything. I tell myself that here is no "starting over" or "starting fresh," just "moving on" (but weighing myself after eating something off plan, does give me a bit of the "starting fresh" feeling of renewed motivation).

Anssett
03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
3ish times a week and graph the results on my cell phone. I know there are fluctuations and can see it in the graph which keeps me from wigging out by short term gains.

Jacks Big Mama
03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I try to stick to weighing myself every 2-3 days. My weekly weigh in is on Tuesdays, and it is not out of the norm for me to weigh myself multiple times on Monday! Sometimes I become obsessed and weigh daily though. Drives me crazy!!! Pure insanity!!! :)

ubskinnyagain75
03-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Once a week. There is absolutely no reason to weigh yourself daily if you are ON PLAN. You fluctuate to much day to day via stress, hormones, water, salt, etc. Just eat right, weigh once a week and move on. No reason to become obsessive about a number that will move down if you are doing things right.

NEMom
03-26-2012, 05:45 PM
I weigh every day. It keeps me on track and reminds me daily what the ultimate goal is.

dody
03-26-2012, 06:04 PM
well i think i am probably one of the only other people who rather not know, last time i did weigh my self i just wanted to beat myself up. my fat jeans are now my skinny jeans maybe if i did weigh i would have had a heads up.

KeriHallman
03-26-2012, 07:06 PM
I weigh every morning after I pee. I know this might be TMI but I also weigh every time after I have a BM because I am not that regular and I like to see the smaller number. I know TMI!

baker23
03-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Everyday, right after I wake up, pee, and right before hopping in the shower. The fluctuations used to bug me like no tomorrow but now i've pretty much accepted them. I record my weight on my chart once a week, and as long as I see a continuing downwards pattern, I'm happy :)

samu2
03-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Every single morning.

I am maintaing now and it helps me. I like to know as soon as possible if the weight is creeping up again. I don't have many fluctuations, I may go up a pound every now and then after a break day or if I have eaten a lot of salt but that is it. I also don't gain weight before my period so I don't have to worry about fluctuations spoiling my day.

I can gain weight and not even realise until I'm no longer fitting in my clothes and it is much harder to lose around 15 pounds then it is to pull myself in after a couple of pounds gain.

ghlover
04-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Daily, but I only record it on Fridays
weighing daily helps me stay on track

jenjulia
04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Every morning right after I get up before I get dressed.

KatieMeyers
04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
It's really important to weigh yourself EVERY SINGLE DAY! I know it can be frustrating, especially if you know you've cheated on your diet. But that's why it's important. I know I always need to stress this to my weight loss clients. It helps you see when you've messed up, when you've been doing really well. It forces you to recognize exactly what you're doing, good and bad.

Meka150
04-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Since I started my WLJ I weigh myself every morning. I have been overweight 90% of my life. I have never been one to diet or really care about losing weight. Before I never even looked at the scale. Now that I have decided to change my weight/life. I look at the scale everyday and it motivates me to keep going. 16 lbs and couting :carrot:

DrivenByAmbition
04-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Everyday twice a day. Once in the morning an once at night

shellofself
04-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Daily. I do it in the morning after I've used the restroom. As long as I stay within 1-2lbs within the previous day's weigh-in range, I know I'm on track. Like mentioned before me, I like the accountability.

WilloW176
04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I usually do it as soon as I wake up and after I got to the bathroom. A couple of months ago I stopped doing it daily and I gained about 9 pounds, so I'm determined now to do it everyday so I know exactly where I'm heading. Of course some times I get upset with the number, but in the end I'm more in control that way and since then i've lost about 6 pounds :carrot:

xJox
04-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Every morning and every night.

Puffin55
04-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Every morning.

neon_zephyr
04-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Every day, usually in the morning. I keep track of it so I have a way to gauge my progress whether it is positive, negative, or static.