Ideal Protein Diet - Atkins Vs. IP

View Full Version : Atkins Vs. IP

idealme
02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
so here it is....I have been told IP is the same diet as atkins the only difference being you have to buy the food insted of making your own....is this true? what are the differences? I know they have ketosis in common but im not to firmiliar with Atkins.....

lkander2
02-06-2012, 05:29 PM
so here it is....I have been told IP is the same diet as atkins the only difference being you have to buy the food insted of making your own....is this true? what are the differences? I know they have ketosis in common but im not to firmiliar with Atkins.....

They are quite different actually... really the only similarity is the low-carb aspect! IP is much more strict. Atkins (from what I understand) allows a significant amount more fat than IP, and also allows fruit, sweeteners, and certain veggies that are not allowed on Ideal Protein. I am not super familiar with Atkins, but this is what I've gathered from reading about it...

New Englander
02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Both "founders" went to Harvard...and the "founder" of IP just stayed there a little longer to learn how to perfect the low carb diet... :)

idealme
02-06-2012, 06:02 PM
lol awesome....and lkander we are allowed sweetners on IP btw :)

KarinF
02-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I was on Atkins for over 5 years and was very successful at it. I decided to stray away from it (for some dumb reason) at Thanksgiving a couple years ago. In that 2 years I gained back the 50 lbs I lost on Atkins. I lost 50 lbs on Atkins in about 5 months and kept it off for over 5 years. Before doing IP i tried to get back on Atkins and just couldn't get it started so I decided to try this more structured IP diet. As soon as I can get more control of my eating I will go back to Atkins. You eat real food, not packaged food. Atkins is a low carb diet and you get your carbs from vegetables not sugar or breads. Atkins isn't really a diet, it is a way of eating for life. IP is a diet. I can't imagine anyone wanting to live on packaged food for too long.

Here is what I am seeing as the difference:

BREAKFAST:
IP - Packet of egg OR cereal
ATKINS - 2 or 3 eggs AND 3 strips bacon OR Omelet w/ meat cheese and veggies

LUNCH:
IP - Packet of soup AND 2 cups veggies and Lettuce
ATKINS - Chicken (breast or thigh) or any non processed meat, 1 cup salad OR Tuna with mayo and celery or anything similar to this.

DINNER:
IP - Lean meat, 2 cups veggies and salad
ATKINS - Any meat (leave the fat on) 1 cup salad AND one veggies

Snacks:
IP - Packet pudding or drink
ATKINS - Cheese and celery or hard boiled or deviled eggs or sugar free jello or frozen cream cheese bites flavored with Sugar free DaVinci's Flavored syrups (I like the orange best for these)

Hope that helps to show a few differences. These are typical for the first 2 weeks on both diets. Let me know if you have questions :-)

omgzitsmiranda
02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Like everyone else has said, they're quite different.

If you want a low carb diet that you don't really have to keep up with anything besides how many cups of veggies a day, how many packets & how much water; then this is your diet :)

It's a VERY strict NO cheating diet though! ;)

zzsmom
02-06-2012, 09:55 PM
I was on Atkins for over 5 years and was very successful at it. I decided to stray away from it (for some dumb reason) at Thanksgiving a couple years ago. In that 2 years I gained back the 50 lbs I lost on Atkins. I lost 50 lbs on Atkins in about 5 months and kept it off for over 5 years. Before doing IP i tried to get back on Atkins and just couldn't get it started so I decided to try this more structured IP diet. As soon as I can get more control of my eating I will go back to Atkins. You eat real food, not packaged food. Atkins is a low carb diet and you get your carbs from vegetables not sugar or breads. Atkins isn't really a diet, it is a way of eating for life. IP is a diet. I can't imagine anyone wanting to live on packaged food for too long.

Here is what I am seeing as the difference:

BREAKFAST:
IP - Packet of egg OR cereal
ATKINS - 2 or 3 eggs AND 3 strips bacon OR Omelet w/ meat cheese and veggies

LUNCH:
IP - Packet of soup AND 2 cups veggies and Lettuce
ATKINS - Chicken (breast or thigh) or any non processed meat, 1 cup salad OR Tuna with mayo and celery or anything similar to this.

DINNER:
IP - Lean meat, 2 cups veggies and salad
ATKINS - Any meat (leave the fat on) 1 cup salad AND one veggies

Snacks:
IP - Packet pudding or drink
ATKINS - Cheese and celery or hard boiled or deviled eggs or sugar free jello or frozen cream cheese bites flavored with Sugar free DaVinci's Flavored syrups (I like the orange best for these)

Hope that helps to show a few differences. These are typical for the first 2 weeks on both diets. Let me know if you have questions :-)

Karin, although more strict, would you agree IP is healthier?

DanafromAustin
02-06-2012, 09:55 PM
I have been on both diets and I lost a significant amount of weight on both. Unfortunately I fell of of the wagon on Atkins before I was finished loosing all of my weight, and eventually gained it all back plus more. I tried several times to get back on Atkins, but just never could. I decided to try IP because the pre-packaged food appealed to me. I find IP easier because you aren't given that many choices.

Both are low carb (20 carbs per day max), but Atkins doesn't limit your fat intake (which research is now supporting). I think Atkins is a great program, but I also love IP.

KarinF
02-07-2012, 12:57 AM
Karin, although more strict, would you agree IP is healthier?

I do not think IP is healthier than Atkins. Food that comes from a packet is not healthier than all natural food...meat, vegetables, whole grains...

I do think IP is easier to do, only for the fact that it is all planned out for you. I am sure that it is kinda healthy but I have noticed that my hair isn't as shiny and my skin feels drier and I am not as energetic as I was on Atkins. I will stick with IP for about 3 or 4 more weeks and then I should be ready to get back on Atkins, for good this time :-)

Porthardygurl
02-07-2012, 03:01 AM
I was on Atkins a few years ago..i was put on it by an endocrinologist..she suggested the diet...I went on it and it was great.. i love cheese and i love bacon so it worked right? Yah....no not really...the reason being: it contained high amounts of fat and that in turn gave me liver problems..my liver wasnt processing the fat very well and my kidneys were being overworked by the protein and fat i was consuming on a regular basis..so while i can say that i definitly love the idea of drinking whipping cream in my diet coke to make me feel like im having a coke float and while i do really love bacon....i could never go back to it anymore...my body can no longer handle high quantities of oils and fats and proteins.. i need something a little more balanced...but i do agree...there comes a point where living off packaged food must be done and you need to go back to your real foods.

Endless Dieter
02-07-2012, 06:13 AM
I do not think IP is healthier than Atkins. Food that comes from a packet is not healthier than all natural food...meat, vegetables, whole grains...

I do think IP is easier to do, only for the fact that it is all planned out for you. I am sure that it is kinda healthy but I have noticed that my hair isn't as shiny and my skin feels drier and I am not as energetic as I was on Atkins. I will stick with IP for about 3 or 4 more weeks and then I should be ready to get back on Atkins, for good this time :-)

I too did Atkins and lost 70 lbs but gained back plus an extra ten. I am
doing IP because I like the control and ease of food selection. I have same issue with hair and my skin is so dry and having problem finding skin lotion that helps. Hopefully, I will be able to make better food choices now that I will be going into Phrase 2 ...

JerseyGyrl
02-07-2012, 06:15 AM
While I admit I am not familiar with IP, Atkins is my lifestyle and has been for close to 8 years now:) As Zzsmom said "Atkins isn't really a diet, it is a way of eating for life". That is the key to successful & permanent weightloss.
Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions where Atkins is concerned. Many believe Atkins to be the "all you can eat butter, bacon & red meat diet"...but, no, not so. From day 1 during the Induction phase, Atkins strongly encourages veggies & salads. In fact, while doing Atkins Induction, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from salads & veggies!
Another common misconception is that Induction is the only phase there is when it comes to Atkins. Not true! There are 4 phase's of the Atkins lifestyle...Induction, On Going Weightloss (OWL), Pre-Maintenance and Maintenance. While Induction is the most restrictive phase, you slowly start introducing foods back into your eating...fruits, nuts, more veggies, and even whole grains. Yes, whole grains! I'm sure this may surprise some regarding Atkins:)
All that said, the key is finding what works for YOU and making it a total lifesyle change. That is the key to success with ANY eating plan:)

Ylanthe
02-07-2012, 10:26 AM
I, too, have done Atkins. Frankly, I love it. I found it difficult to give up certain foods (ie-junk food!) though, so I am enjoying IP right now because all the choices are made for you. I like the KISS method, don't you?

Long term I know that my diet is going to be mainly low-carb, the same way I have a friend who is vegetarian because she can't process meat. My body does NOT handle carbs (ie-rice, bread, starchy foods mainly) very well at all.

My goal with IP is to lose my weight quickly and go from there. I don't know anything about maintenance, I don't want to know about maintenance until I get there! If I like it, I'll use it. If I don't, I'll try Atkins as a long-term lifestyle. I believe I'll have greater success at it as I'm determined more than I have been before. I know it works, I know IP works, and I don't think one is better than the other. They are similar with different pros & cons, just like any diet program.

Go Atkins! Go IP!

:carrot:

Lakewood
02-07-2012, 11:37 AM
One of the reasons I like IP vs Atkins is the quality of the proteins. With IP the protein is an isolate, meaning it is broken down and more available for the body to use. If you have a pack with 18 gms of protein, you body will use 93-97% of the available protein, thus sparing muscle. If you eat 8oz of steak, you'll only use about 20% of the protein.

zzsmom
02-07-2012, 02:48 PM

Understood. I travel a great deal and think that Atkins is much, much easier to do when on the road with my family. It doesn't feel so much as a "diet". I am also much hungrier on IP. Curious to follow you if you do decide to transfer over to Atkins. Hope you continue to post so I can follow your success!

zzsmom
02-07-2012, 02:52 PM

While I admit I am not familiar with IP, Atkins is my lifestyle and has been for close to 8 years now:) As Zzsmom said "Atkins isn't really a diet, it is a way of eating for life". That is the key to successful & permanent weightloss.
Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions where Atkins is concerned. Many believe Atkins to be the "all you can eat butter, bacon & red meat diet"...but, no, not so. From day 1 during the Induction phase, Atkins strongly encourages veggies & salads. In fact, while doing Atkins Induction, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from salads & veggies!
Another common misconception is that Induction is the only phase there is when it comes to Atkins. Not true! There are 4 phase's of the Atkins lifestyle...Induction, On Going Weightloss (OWL), Pre-Maintenance and Maintenance. While Induction is the most restrictive phase, you slowly start introducing foods back into your eating...fruits, nuts, more veggies, and even whole grains. Yes, whole grains! I'm sure this may surprise some regarding Atkins:)
All that said, the key is finding what works for YOU and making it a total lifesyle change. That is the key to success with ANY eating plan:)

Wow! That's an amzing loss! Congratulations! You are right, I don't think most people ever actually go thru the phases of Atkins. I know I didn't, but am inspired by your story. Very happy right now with the simplicity of IP, but may look back into Atkins at goal. Also, I always need to change things up!:D

DanafromAustin
02-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Understood. I travel a great deal and think that Atkins is much, much easier to do when on the road with my family. It doesn't feel so much as a "diet". I am also much hungrier on IP. Curious to follow you if you do decide to transfer over to Atkins. Hope you continue to post so I can follow your success!

I'm haven't been hungry on either diet due to ketosis. I talked to my coach today about my upcoming cruise in two weeks. We both agreed that my week on the cruise ship will be a combination of phase 2 and Atkins. Atkins is much easier to do when traveling, but I don't want to be kicked out of ketosis either. I don't care if I loose that week as long as I don't gain. She said most likely with the change in my diet I will loose that week. I hope she is right.

EmilySebetka
02-07-2012, 05:05 PM
I wonder if there is any way to combine phase 1 of IP with the induction and ongoing weight loss phases of Atkins. I love IP, but I'm watching my parents do Atkins, and I miss having some of the things they get to have.

I'm sticking with IP for a while longer though. I want to reach 200ish and see how my parents are doing with Atkins. If they're doing great, then I might switch.

So my question is: is there a way to combine phase 1 and Induction and OWL?

Trinique125
02-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I've switched from IP to Atkins (2 weeks ago) and absolutely love and prefer this diet over IP. I'm never hungry and feel much more satisfied when I'm done eating. More importantly I've lost inches and weight and feel much more energized.

I highly recommend Atkins, I find starting on IP made it easier for me to transition onto Atkins so IP was helpful in that regard.

And on a side note, I"m NEVER constipated on Atkins and have not have to take ONE single supplement to "go", I was irregular on IP many many times througout the 6 weeks I was on it.

EmilySebetka
02-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I've switched from IP to Atkins (2 weeks ago) and absolutely love and prefer this diet over IP. I'm never hungry and feel much more satisfied when I'm done eating. More importantly I've lost inches and weight and feel much more energized.

How did you make the transition? Is Atkins working the same as IP or better than IP, or worse than IP for you (weight loss and inches wise)?

New Englander
02-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I too did Atkins and lost 70 lbs but gained back plus an extra ten. I am
doing IP because I like the control and ease of food selection. I have same issue with hair and my skin is so dry and having problem finding skin lotion that helps. Hopefully, I will be able to make better food choices now that I will be going into Phrase 2 ...
Try Bag Balm for a dryness...my husband swears by it for EVERYTHING! And on Nate Berkus or one of those tv shows a fashion women was on and she said it's her secret weapon for dryness!!! Good luck! :)

Survalia
02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
I found this thread interesting and of course, the thought of "real" food is very tempting, especially if it includes a bit of butter (which is totally MY weakness). So I hopped over to the Atkins board and did a little of reading. My head was swimming! It all seems so complicated. I guess I am comforted by knowing that my little packet of food is the right thing to eat -- no reading, counting, subtracting, figuring out sugars, etc. Interestingly enough, I find I am also a bit fearful of the return to "real" food. I am happy to let that be until I get there. Whew!

idealme
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
ok but heres the thing...from what all you guys are saying...you will be thin on atkins but your organs will fail? All that fat sounds like clogged artieries in the long run to me....and you are supposed to make that a lifesyyle? Hmmm I think ill stick to IP personally, dont get me wrong cheese and bacon sound amazing on day 7 of IP thats for sure lol to each their own I suppose.

KarinF
02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
ok but heres the thing...from what all you guys are saying...you will be thin on atkins but your organs will fail? All that fat sounds like clogged artieries in the long run to me....and you are supposed to make that a lifesyyle? Hmmm I think ill stick to IP personally, dont get me wrong cheese and bacon sound amazing on day 7 of IP thats for sure lol to each their own I suppose.

Hmmmm I should let this comment go but I can't.
READ THE BOOK BEFORE YOU MAKE A COMMENT ON SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT! The fats that you eat on the Atkins are good fats. Not all fats are good fats and Dr. Atkins says to stay away from bad fats! Atkins get a bad rap because of comments like this when people are too lazy to read and see for themselves and listen to others that don't read the book and make ***-umption of what his way of eating is all about. He does not preach eating an all fat diet of bacon and cheese!!!!! PLEASE read the book and you will see that Atkins is a very healthy way of eating.

If you want to live on a packet of powdered pudding that is your choice. I chose this too for a short duration until I get my eating under control. I can tell that this isn't a diet that I want to be on for very long. My hair is losing its shine, my skin is dry, my energy is dropping, I am constipated most of the time, I am losing weight but not inches so that means I am losing muscle, not fat...

OK I feel better now that I got my rant out of the way :-) I am over it now.

KarinF
02-07-2012, 09:00 PM
I found this thread interesting and of course, the thought of "real" food is very tempting, especially if it includes a bit of butter (which is totally MY weakness). So I hopped over to the Atkins board and did a little of reading. My head was swimming! It all seems so complicated. I guess I am comforted by knowing that my little packet of food is the right thing to eat -- no reading, counting, subtracting, figuring out sugars, etc. Interestingly enough, I find I am also a bit fearful of the return to "real" food. I am happy to let that be until I get there. Whew!

I am HAPPY that you took the time to go look at the Atkins board. Real butter is ok, not margarine. It can all be overwhelming with all the posts so it is best to get the book and read it first. It will be worth the time it takes. I agree that these packet are easier but we cannot live on them forever. It is best to get the research done BEFORE you decide it is time to make the switch to REAL food.

KarinF
02-07-2012, 09:05 PM

I highly recommend Atkins, I find starting on IP made it easier for me to transition onto Atkins so IP was helpful in that regard.

And on a side note, I"m NEVER constipated on Atkins and have not have to take ONE single supplement to "go", I was irregular on IP many many times througout the 6 weeks I was on it.

I am glad to hear that the transition was easier since you started on IP. I am trying that this time and hope I can get back on track with Atkins.

On your side note: I too have constipation issues on IP. When I was on Atkins before, it was never an issue. I think it was because all the healthy fats and healthy carbs that kept the motor running :-)

KarinF
02-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I wonder if there is any way to combine phase 1 of IP with the induction and ongoing weight loss phases of Atkins. I love IP, but I'm watching my parents do Atkins, and I miss having some of the things they get to have.

I'm sticking with IP for a while longer though. I want to reach 200ish and see how my parents are doing with Atkins. If they're doing great, then I might switch.

So my question is: is there a way to combine phase 1 and Induction and OWL?

I am new (3 weeks) so I don't know if you can combine IP and Atkins. My only suggestion would be get the Dr. Atkins book or go to their website and read up on it. There is an Atkins section on this forum also. While you are doing IP you can get the info read on Atkins and make the change after you are more informed if that is what you want to do.

Slow Weave
02-07-2012, 09:32 PM
I lost all the weight with IP, something I never would have imagined I could do at age 55. Low carb works for me and I plan to still use some IP type items such as their pancakes for breakfast (which I love with Walden Farms syrup) and their wafer bars as a snack. Otherwise, its salads, vegetables and 5 or 6 oz of meat (which is now plenty for dinner). I do keep track of EVERYTHING though with a free app on my iPad and figure I will always need to. Food calories and carbs can really sneak up on us if we don't keep track. As for normal food, well I have learned to taste something but not eat everything I see. I remind myself that I like being a size 4 now and have a whole lot less aches than when I was a size 16. It is worth giving up the cheese bisuits at Red Lobster I'd say.:)

Barb Light
02-07-2012, 09:34 PM
I've read a lot of good things on this thread. Jersey Gyrl was correct in referring to Atkins not being about a high fat pig out (my words, not hers). When followed correctly, it works terrifically and has been a life saver for many people. I have never lived near a center, if there is one outside of NYC.

(It reminds me of the food program that worked the best for me - the Heller Plan - and constantly having to defend it, as people would say things like, "Oh, that's the diet where you can eat anything you want for an hour once a day." NOT. As far as I can see, the Hellers have disappeared and run off to Disney World, and their website seems frozen in time every time I've checked it.)

Here's a few differences that are working for me right now about IP. 1. I have neat coaches who support me keep me accountable. Some of the coaches I've heard of out there would have me running for the hills. 2. I DO get hungry. BUT, THANK YOU, GOD, I DON'T HAVE CRAVINGS. I find I can tolerate, even kinda like being hungry for an hour or two or so ... a craving, what, about 5 minutes, and I'm into some crap or driving to the store? I never got hungry on Atkins. 3. I don't know the medical explanation, but the ketosis on IP is not the stand back 5 yards when you see me kind I had on Atkins. That's just me.

I too don't like the idea of eating out of packages that take quite a bit of experimenting (thank you, Finn!) to turn something that probably resembles ground sheet rock in some cases (I haven't eaten sheet rock) into something palatable, BUT; and this is the big but, it's working for me. I don't know if it's true that my long abused pancreas is taking a well-earned rest or not, but I'm losing weight, am sleeping like a lamb, am in a terrific mood a good share of the time, have a blood pressure I haven't seen in 30 years, and, as the King said, etc, etc., etc. I had never even heard of anyone going from diabetic to pre-diabetic before IP. It still doesn't sound linguistically correct, but as long as the doc wants to use these words, it's gloriously fine with me.

I truly suspect we all got to where we were by different paths, and that it may take different paths to get us where we need to go. If I'd had a good coach from the Heller plan for the first several months or year, who knows? Lots of people like groups and Weight Watchers works well for many of them. I personally can't imagine doing this program online, but I'm sure it's working for many folks.

My husband's favorite diet was the "reach for your mate instead of your plate."

:val2:

Barb

ipsbest4me
02-08-2012, 08:02 AM
I've read a lot of good things on this thread. Jersey Gyrl was correct in referring to Atkins not being about a high fat pig out (my words, not hers). When followed correctly, it works terrifically and has been a life saver for many people. I have never lived near a center, if there is one outside of NYC.

(It reminds me of the food program that worked the best for me - the Heller Plan - and constantly having to defend it, as people would say things like, "Oh, that's the diet where you can eat anything you want for an hour once a day." NOT. As far as I can see, the Hellers have disappeared and run off to Disney World, and their website seems frozen in time every time I've checked it.)

Here's a few differences that are working for me right now about IP. 1. I have neat coaches who support me keep me accountable. Some of the coaches I've heard of out there would have me running for the hills. 2. I DO get hungry. BUT, THANK YOU, GOD, I DON'T HAVE CRAVINGS. I find I can tolerate, even kinda like being hungry for an hour or two or so ... a craving, what, about 5 minutes, and I'm into some crap or driving to the store? I never got hungry on Atkins. 3. I don't know the medical explanation, but the ketosis on IP is not the stand back 5 yards when you see me kind I had on Atkins. That's just me.

I too don't like the idea of eating out of packages that take quite a bit of experimenting (thank you, Finn!) to turn something that probably resembles ground sheet rock in some cases (I haven't eaten sheet rock) into something palatable, BUT; and this is the big but, it's working for me. I don't know if it's true that my long abused pancreas is taking a well-earned rest or not, but I'm losing weight, am sleeping like a lamb, am in a terrific mood a good share of the time, have a blood pressure I haven't seen in 30 years, and, as the King said, etc, etc., etc. I had never even heard of anyone going from diabetic to pre-diabetic before IP. It still doesn't sound linguistically correct, but as long as the doc wants to use these words, it's gloriously fine with me.

I truly suspect we all got to where we were by different paths, and that it may take different paths to get us where we need to go. If I'd had a good coach from the Heller plan for the first several months or year, who knows? Lots of people like groups and Weight Watchers works well for many of them. I personally can't imagine doing this program online, but I'm sure it's working for many folks.

My husband's favorite diet was the "reach for your mate instead of your plate."

:val2:

Barb

LOVE THIS!! Different strokes for different folks.

KarinF
02-08-2012, 09:03 AM
YES! Different strokes for different folks is right. Everyone has to do what is right for them and what they will be successful with.:D

Trinique125
02-08-2012, 01:27 PM
How did you make the transition? Is Atkins working the same as IP or better than IP, or worse than IP for you (weight loss and inches wise)?

even though I was already in ketosis I still did the 14 days of induction, but I was already cutting out carbs on IP so just continued on that note, just not having shakes/bars etc.

This is only my 3rd week but during induction I lost 5.4 lbs, then my period came so haven't stepped on the scale since last week Thursday. Will weigh tomorrow. IP didn't work for me for two reasons: I was hungry quite a bit (even while in Ketosis) and the meals were not satisfying, after a while I got bored with the foods and I was constipated alot.

With Atkins I can have more variety. Time will tell if I lose more weight but I'm feeling and looking the skinniest I've EVER felt so plan to continue for a while. I started adding 5 grams of carbs this week, total of 25 grams now, so I'm having some almonds and a slice of low carb bread that I ordered online.

Trinique125
02-08-2012, 01:29 PM
I am glad to hear that the transition was easier since you started on IP. I am trying that this time and hope I can get back on track with Atkins.

On your side note: I too have constipation issues on IP. When I was on Atkins before, it was never an issue. I think it was because all the healthy fats and healthy carbs that kept the motor running :-)

not sure what it is because funnily enough I"m eating less veggies on ATkins than IP and not constipated. But I also have mayo, butter, olives, eggs, all full fat versions, I have two cups of salad for lunch and one cup of veggies for supper yet I have gone, quite smoothly I might add :D, every single day while on it.

idealme
02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Hmmmm I should let this comment go but I can't.
READ THE BOOK BEFORE YOU MAKE A COMMENT ON SOMETHING YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT! The fats that you eat on the Atkins are good fats. Not all fats are good fats and Dr. Atkins says to stay away from bad fats! Atkins get a bad rap because of comments like this when people are too lazy to read and see for themselves and listen to others that don't read the book and make ***-umption of what his way of eating is all about. He does not preach eating an all fat diet of bacon and cheese!!!!! PLEASE read the book and you will see that Atkins is a very healthy way of eating.

If you want to live on a packet of powdered pudding that is your choice. I chose this too for a short duration until I get my eating under control. I can tell that this isn't a diet that I want to be on for very long. My hair is losing its shine, my skin is dry, my energy is dropping, I am constipated most of the time, I am losing weight but not inches so that means I am losing muscle, not fat...

OK I feel better now that I got my rant out of the way :-) I am over it now.

P.S:IP is a diet not a way of life, no person would want to live on powder packets for life. ALSO if you feel that way about IP why are you on this forum thread?? Bacon is not good fat :) Perhaps Atkins thread would be a better place for you to bash IP ;)

2leftfeet
02-08-2012, 03:48 PM
IP is the best thing on the market right now!!! Take it from me that has done years of dieting....and now in 17 days have lost 19.3 lbs and have never felt better!
And as for "packaged" foods you have to try different ones to find what works best for you. I personally LOVE most of there food (of course a few that are not tolerable) and have watched over 10 people close to me lose great amounts of weight over the past 18 months and not one single one has put a pound back on!!!!!

idealme
02-08-2012, 03:52 PM
IP is the best thing on the market right now!!! Take it from me that has done years of dieting....and now in 17 days have lost 19.3 lbs and have never felt better!
And as for "packaged" foods you have to try different ones to find what works best for you. I personally LOVE most of there food (of course a few that are not tolerable) and have watched over 10 people close to me lose great amounts of weight over the past 18 months and not one single one has put a pound back on!!!!!

That is fantasic to hear! I am in the fitenss and nutrition industry and have watched all these "fad" diets come and go. Every person I know has gained the weight back after Atkins so hearing that didnt happen with IP is inspiring! I myself lost 9 lbs at my frist weigh in and have no complaints thus far :)
Thanks for the post, positive feedback is always great to hear

omgzitsmiranda
02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
I think everyone is going to see the pros & cons differently regardless of WHAT plan you are on. If it works for "you" then great :) If it doesn't, then keep trying until you find something that works for "you" :).

It's all just according to what you feel like you're willing to *be strong* through & what you're not.

Also, IP does help in the long term. A lot more people keep IP weight off that I've saw anyway. There's definitely a lot more information in the book about it :)

No need for everyone to start bashing everyone, it's just the internet lol.

idealme
02-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Well said.

omgzitsmiranda
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Well said.

Thanks ;) Are you friend on the 3FC on Facebook?

KarinF
02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
P.S:IP is a diet not a way of life, no person would want to live on powder packets for life. ALSO if you feel that way about IP why are you on this forum thread?? Bacon is not good fat :) Perhaps Atkins thread would be a better place for you to bash IP ;)

I am not bashing the IP diet. I am on it just like you are. I am stating what it is doing to me and I don't want to be on it much longer. I am hoping the packaged foods will help me get my eating under control so I can make the switch to Atkins easier. I am losing weight and that is what I want to do.

I am on this forum so I can learn and find out the facts of this diet as I did the Atkins diet. I do not make assumptions, I learn and live it and make my decisions from the facts, as I would expect everyone to do the same. :)

KarinF
02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Also, IP does help in the long term. A lot more people keep IP weight off that I've saw anyway. There's definitely a lot more information in the book about it :)

Can you please tell me what book you are talking about? I would love to read it. I have looked for info on IP and can not find any books or website that has a lot of information about it. I did find the IP website but doesn't really give all the info that I am looking for.

omgzitsmiranda
02-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Can you please tell me what book you are talking about? I would love to read it. I have looked for info on IP and can not find any books or website that has a lot of information about it. I did find the IP website but doesn't really give all the info that I am looking for.

Here's a PDF file for you :) I found it quite interesting, you probably would too :)

PDF. (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/IMG/pdflivre_Dr_Tran.pdf)

KarinF
02-09-2012, 01:38 AM
Here's a PDF file for you :) I found it quite interesting, you probably would too :)

PDF. (http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/IMG/pdflivre_Dr_Tran.pdf)

Thank you!! I will get to reading! :carrot:

NavyMommy
02-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Okay, so I keep coming back to this thread and I think there is a huge misconception about IP. You are NOT on packaged foods your entire life to keep the weight off. That's what the phases are all about. While phase 1 is by far the strictest of any diet I've ever been on (and yes I've done them all, including Adkins) it's strict for a reason. The packages are necessary because in them you're getting highly digestible protein isolates that your body is able to use most of (80%-90% is the number that comes to mind, but don't quote me, I might be off), whereas if you're eating a steak your body can only use about 20% of the protein IIRC. That's why we're able to eat so few calories on IP and remain satisfied as well as protect our lean muscle mass, because our body can access so much more of the protein we're consuming. By the time you're on phase 4 you're on all whole natural foods, including fruits, grains, dairy, fats, everything you miss so much about food now.

I know there is a perception that eating out of a package is not healthy and whole foods are better which I agree with to a point. However; I look at myself just a few months ago when I was on an all whole foods, organic, clean eating diet and not losing an ounce. I was NOT healthier being as obese as I was regardless of the diet I was eating.

Regarding the constipation issue that so many of you have mentioned, the other thing we have to remember on this diet is that we are now able to digest and use most of the food that we consume. Accordingly there is no longer nearly as much waste as there was before, just because you've gone from daily to every 2-4 days doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong. It might be and considering the low amount of fiber wouldn't be unusual, but it's also normal to change. I generally 'go' every 3 days or so, but everything seems normal, so that's just what my body has adjusted to.

I hope this helps other people reading this who might be swayed away from IP because of some of these posts. IMO it's an amazing diet, I have never gotten the results I am getting now from any other diet, and I feel wonderful and have more energy than I ever have.

nineonline
02-10-2012, 02:16 PM

How long have you been on IP? My first time on it I noticed a HUGE increase in energy and no more afternoon slumps...in fact I found it hard to sleep some nites :o

KarinF
02-11-2012, 10:04 AM
How long have you been on IP? My first time on it I noticed a HUGE increase in energy and no more afternoon slumps...in fact I found it hard to sleep some nites :o

Going on week 4 right now. I am losing weight but the inches seem to be hanging on, I haven't dropped a pant size yet and my fat pants are a little looser but still tight. I think the energy problem is not enough calories eaten. I have a pretty physical job, I am a Carpenter, and my age being 51, I think I need more calories. My coach is never in when I have my WI so not really sure what to do about that yet. I might have to start eating more protein at lunch??? I was also told NO EXERCISE so I haven't been doing that so being a little more sedated than usual could be the culprit too :?:

KarinF
02-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Okay, so I keep coming back to this thread and I think there is a huge misconception about IP. You are NOT on packaged foods your entire life to keep the weight off. That's what the phases are all about. While phase 1 is by far the strictest of any diet I've ever been on (and yes I've done them all, including Adkins) it's strict for a reason. The packages are necessary because in them you're getting highly digestible protein isolates that your body is able to use most of (80%-90% is the number that comes to mind, but don't quote me, I might be off), whereas if you're eating a steak your body can only use about 20% of the protein IIRC. That's why we're able to eat so few calories on IP and remain satisfied as well as protect our lean muscle mass, because our body can access so much more of the protein we're consuming. By the time you're on phase 4 you're on all whole natural foods, including fruits, grains, dairy, fats, everything you miss so much about food now.

I know there is a perception that eating out of a package is not healthy and whole foods are better which I agree with to a point. However; I look at myself just a few months ago when I was on an all whole foods, organic, clean eating diet and not losing an ounce. I was NOT healthier being as obese as I was regardless of the diet I was eating.

Regarding the constipation issue that so many of you have mentioned, the other thing we have to remember on this diet is that we are now able to digest and use most of the food that we consume. Accordingly there is no longer nearly as much waste as there was before, just because you've gone from daily to every 2-4 days doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong. It might be and considering the low amount of fiber wouldn't be unusual, but it's also normal to change. I generally 'go' every 3 days or so, but everything seems normal, so that's just what my body has adjusted to.

I hope this helps other people reading this who might be swayed away from IP because of some of these posts. IMO it's an amazing diet, I have never gotten the results I am getting now from any other diet, and I feel wonderful and have more energy than I ever have.

I know that you are not on packaged food your entire life, but depending on how much weight you have to lose, you could be on packaged food for quite a long time. I am on this diet because I was having trouble getting back on track with the Atkins way of eating. IP is so much easier to get started on in my opinion. The OP was asking the differences between Atkins and IP and I was letting her know what the differences were that I see. IMHO I believe that the Atkins way of eating is much healthier and when I think I have my eating under control, I will go back to Atkins. I am going on week 4 of the IP diet right now and was stating what I am going through for the comparison.
I am losing weight, 10 lbs now, but the inches are not coming off like they should so that makes me think I am losing muscle instead. That is why I think my energy is lower and get fatigued quickly. My skin is very dry and my hair has lost it's shine and feels dry, I have constipation issues (yes I know the difference between constipation and just not going for a few days). My coach is never in for my WI so I can not discuss this with her. I am kinda surprised that my body is changing so fast??

As for going on Phase 4, Atkins and IP both take you to the whole natural foods, including fruits, grains, dairy, fats. I am pretty sure most diets are heading this way now. The reason people gain their weight back, as I have, is because they veer away from these foods and go back to the way they were eating. It is not the diets fault, it is the peoples fault, as it was my fault. I kept the weight off when I was following the Atkins way of eating. I kept it off for over 5 years. I was stupid and thought I would be able to go back to eating all the pie and chips and junk that I wanted and I gained the weight back. That is what brought me to IP. I hope that I can find out why IP is doing this to my body, that is why I am here in the forums. My coach isn't available.

Thank you for your input. I do love to read and learn. :hug: