Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #1  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Default Hot Yoga for a newbie and weight loss potential?

Hot yoga has become very very popular in North America. I have never done yoga before, but I am thinking of joining a studio that has several different types of hot yoga, as well as a "warm" class for people who do not like the intense heat of the hot classes.

Does anyone know if hot yoga contributes to weight loss at all and if its a good/bad idea for someone who has never done yoga before? I know a lot of people love it because of how they feel after, but I am wondering if it can actually replace some of my cardio/strength training workout as I can't see myself going to a 60 minute yoga session and than wanting to do another workout that day. I am able to attend sessions a couple times a week if that helps anything.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hmm.. i heard the hot yoga for a newbie..can be intense...
A beginner class might be better!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

Agreed! I do yoga a couple of times a week and at the beginning it was very difficult.

I would start off with a beginner class first so you can get a handle on the poses and build your posture.
JennaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Apparently, Madona does only Yoga to keep in shape and look how great she looks...

I agree though start with a beginner not a hot class to get the moves down...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/233/173

Height: 5'4"

My 2 cents...

I have tried various yoga classes many times over the years but always struggled. I'm a big girl, very top heavy and apple shaped. The poses often seemed impossible! Then recently I noticed a coworker had lost a lot of weight and more than that she just radiated health. When I asked her about her transformation, she said she'd been going to hot yoga, specifically Bikram yoga. Inspired by her I decided to give it a shot and I LOVED it! Much to my surprise I found it a much better fit for my body type and the heat really helped me with my flexibility. More importantly I FELT amazing, had increased mental clarity, more energy, and my skin glowed. After a few weeks I had acquaintances asking ME what I was doing! Unfortunately where I live it is quite expensive and I've had to take a break. But I miss it terribly and hope to be able to start up again soon. I really recommend that you give it a try.
osaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/178/150

Height: 5"8

I tried hot yoga for a few weeks (I had also done several other types of yoga previous to that), and discovered that it wasn't for me - I wasn't a fan of the heat... and I felt like I had difficulty breathing (I have asthma), however.. there are tons of people who swear by it! I would say don't commit to anything long-term until you're sure hot yoga is something you enjoy... and most importantly with yoga, remember that it's about you and your body... not about doing what everyone else is doing.. You need to listen to your body and if something doesn't feel right, don't do it. Most yoga instructors will encourage you to try your best and if and when you need to rest go into child's pose or something similar. Yoga for me is an amazing stress reliever and a great time to just let everything go (not to mention the physical health benefits). I would definitely give yoga a go
smad11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #7  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

forget madonna, i SWARE by bikram yoga.

it is in fact very intense, you will absolutely despise it at first, but it is a very calming meditation inducing sequence.

this is a begginers sequence.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:16 PM   #8  
Green Tara

S/C/G: 196/175/130

Height: 5'1

Default I'm a BIKRAM FAN CRAZY LOVER!!!

Hi!

Anyone can try hot yoga, especially Bikram whether they are fit or not. It is challenging, but you are supposed to go at your pace, the whole point of Bikram is that it is between YOU and YOU. It's not a competition with the other people in the room.

I go to a studio and also to pare down on expenses made a studio at home. I bought two radiant heaters, have Bikram's CD, added a humidifier and get the room to 96 F. It's not 105 but it's hot enough and with the humidifier I sweat a LOT. I'm just more conscientious of my stretching since I am not as hot in the beginning as in the studio.

I have been doing a challenge with myself, a 30 day, am on day 20 now. After I hit 30 I'll probably do another 30. Bikram suggests you do his yoga 60 days straight in the beginning. I've been doing bikram irregularly for a while and wanted to return with a bang, so decided to take him up on his challenge. Before I would go to class about 3 times a week. I feel a lot of difference doing it every day. At first your lower back and hamstrings feel it, but I am beginning to feel better and better as I learn to relax into the poses which makes it easier and less painful.

I would love to do a yoga challenge with any of you for support!!!!

Take care,
Claudia
calmeida5018 is offline   Reply With Quote