General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 01:43 PM   #1  

Question Skin firming lotions

Here lately it seems as though every company has some type of skin-firming lotion on the market. My question is: Is any one of these lotions any better than the rest? I've noticed that the prices of these lotions can be anywhere from $4.00-$10.00 (at Wal-Mart) up to $40.00 at Clarins/Este Lauder, etc. The kicker of this is, when I read the ingredients on the bottles, it seems as though every lotion is composed of different ingredients.

What's up with that? Anyone have opinions on the various lotions that are out there? It'd be great to have you share them!!

Thanks,
C
Old 02-27-2003, 01:58 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

I think they work up to a certain point...but a lot of the time when you buy the premium brand (Clarins, etc) you're paying for the name and prestige behind it. I also suspect that they are all using the same active ingredient - they just give it their own name. Kind of like how Certs has Retsyn (and what the heck is that anyway?!?).

I was using the Suave Skin Firming Lotion ($2.99) but right now using a lotion that my plastic surgeon gave me - I don't know if it's a 'skin firming' type but it feels really good!

Personally I'd say try the cheapest brand first. You might want to check Consumer Reports (try your local library - I haven't read the magazine myself in awhile) to see if they've done any reviews on these products...
Old 02-27-2003, 02:28 PM   #3  

Thanks Karen!

Oh! Congrats on the big step you took! I'm all for anything we can do for ourselves to improve our lives/bodies! You are such an inspiration!
Cheryl
Old 03-03-2003, 04:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have tried the Nivea Skin Firming lotion-it is not too bad in price-they sell it at Wal-Mart. It has also helped a bit in my stretch marks from my kids...making them blend in a bit more with the rest of my stomanch.
Aphil
Old 03-04-2003, 09:52 AM   #5  

Hey Aphil!

Thanks for the input! It seems like Nivea has been around the longest--seems like I remember using it way back when. Maybe since it is "the original," it's the best? Right now I'm trying out the Suave stuff. I've only been using it two days, so I don't know if it's gonna make any diff., but it sure smells good and it's Cheap!!

C
Old 03-05-2003, 09:26 AM   #6  

Angry

I have a friend who will be having gastric by-pass surgery soon and she said that her dermatologist said that for stretch marks, any lotion will do. She said the dermatologist said that actually, it is in the RUBBING/MASSAGING of the lotion or oils that helps decrease the appearance of stretch marks. Maybe it could work on skin firming, too? I'm not sure, but it couldn't hurt. It'll feel nice either way and may just help to relieve stress!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

I have used the Jergens skin firming lotion and it seemed to make a difference for me. Seems people have seen results from a variety of the cheaper creams so I certainly wouldn't go spending the big bucks!

Christine
Old 03-05-2003, 03:10 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Oh most definitely massage makes a difference - my surgeon has recommended that I massage my legs every day (she recommended a little $20 handheld massager from Brookstone - now hubby wants his own - he loves that thing!).
Old 03-07-2003, 04:23 AM   #9  

I use Nivea q10 firming lotion and I do think it helps firm things up a bit. In any case it just feels good, so that's why I buy it! I use it mostly on my bum, stomach and arms. I'm sure all the exercise I do is helping as well, but every little counts, right?

Personally I wouldn't spend more than $10 on a fairly large bottle. Otherwise you are just paying for a name and not a product.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:01 AM   #10  

MrsJim
How long do you massage your legs? are you concentrating on the largest areas?
(I'd just like to say again what a wonderful/inspirational this is! It really helps to talk with REAL people about REAL weight loss and health: it is encouraging to know I'm not alone!
Old 03-07-2003, 12:31 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

How long do I massage my legs? well...generally I'm watching Seinfeld when I do this. I still have a few small areas that are a bit sensitive so I take it easy on them. I tend to concentrate on the inner thigh area and the knee area.

I have an appointment with my surgeon on Wednesday - I'm going to ask her for a bit of instruction. I love the massager though. Can't beat it for $20 - just have to get it away from my better half!
Old 03-07-2003, 12:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Your better half???!!!
If he is better than you...than he must really be something!
Aphil
ps-I am a Seinfeld fanatic as well...
Old 03-12-2003, 02:16 PM   #13  

Angry

MrsJim,
Did you get a chance to ask your surgeon about massaging techniques/tips? just wondering.
'Hope everyone's having a good week-it's almost weekEND time! I've been a busy girl lately!
wishing less of all of us in 2003
Old 03-14-2003, 11:45 AM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Actually she didn't give me that many tips other than to use the massager each day...I just kind of move it in a circular motion on different areas (that is when I can get it away from Jim!).

I think it's effective - besides it feels good! However, I am planning on going in for a *real* professional massage in the next few weeks, as soon as I feel ready to. I know some post-ops use Endermologie, but my surgeon advised against it as a waste of money...
Old 03-29-2003, 12:46 AM   #15  

Default Jergens and Mary Kay

Mary Kay recently came out with their TimeWise Visibly Fit Body Lotion; it goes for $22 a bottle though (I admit I do like the lilac-y smell, though).

I found, though, that my skin does feel more supple with the Jergens, which smells nice too.
Closed Thread