Old 02-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: Started IP 1-29-12

Height: 5'8

Default free & sweet meringue recipe!

This is something I used to eat when I did the dukan diet last year and since Ive been reading that egg whites are now "free" on IP, I figured I would post it. I am someone that likes a touch of sweet after I eat a savory meal so these have always been great for me. I just made some today! Enjoy.

Meringues
makes about 20 pieces (2-3 inch round meringues)

Ingredients
4 egg whites (Allowed to come to room temperature if necessary)
1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
1/2 cup of zero calories sugar substitute (I used splenda)
**1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract powder (i have never used the liquid but I'm sure you could) or you could use any flavor extract you want.

I only use 1/2 cup of splenda although most meringue recipes call for 1 cup of splenda because I find it overpowering and to chemically.

Method
Put the egg whites in a clean, dry, grease-free bowl with the cream of tartar and whisk until the egg whites form soft peaks that hold their shape.

Add the sweetener(flavor extract) one tablespoon at a time.
When all the sweetener has been added, continue whisking until the egg whites become glossy and form stiff peaks that hold their shape.

Using a a regular teaspoon, taking a heaping spoonfull and place meringue on to parchment paper placed on a baking sheet. (you can use regular cookie sheet and spray with pam or something if you don have parchment paper)

Place in a preheated oven at 250°F, 130°C or Gas Mark 1/2 for 45min-1hour until the meringues are golden and crisp.
** I ROTATE THE BAKING SHEET FROM TOP TO BOTTOM RACK HALFWAY THROUGH COOKING TIME TO MAKE SURE THEY COOK EVEN.

Turn the oven off and crack the door about 1/3 of the way and allow the meringues to cool in the oven for a further 30 minutes.

When completely cool, store in an air tight container until needed, for up to seven days.
Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

Yum

I have friend who does he dukan diet and loves it. Why did you switch to ip?
Just curious...

Thanks
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #3  

I have been dieting in some way since I was 7 years old and Im now 30. My high weight was 263 (size 18) and I got down to 168(size 6/8) from basically taking diet pills and working out like a crazy person. Over 1 1/2 years I was back up to194 (size 14, which is where my body likes to hover) and I was OVER IT. I heard about the dukan diet while at the gym (ironic) and started it. I needed to lose 30 lbs but only made it to 17lbs before I basically quit becasue it was hard to maintain. I lost 17lbs in about 5months which is NOT ENOUGH in my opinion. It was a good diet because you can eat as much as you want but I couldnt stand having NO olive oil only having veggies EVERY OTHER DAY and all of that animal protein makes my skin crawl. Too much meat, eggs and no fat dairy was just gross. I very recently found out about IP and found it similar to Dukan with the low cal/low fat/low cardb but saw it had quicker weight loss AND it happens to be plant based protein AND I can use my olive oil AND I can eat veggies everyday. Seems to be a match made in heaven Im very excited.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #4  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Hello,

Do you think I can get good results using baking powder instead of cream of tartar? Have you ever tried it with baking powder?

I hope it would work, I love meringues but I was never successful baking them myself.

Last edited by sandralosingweight; 02-04-2012 at 05:49 PM.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
Yum

I have friend who does he dukan diet and loves it. Why did you switch to ip?
Just curious...

Thanks
I was on the Dukan last year and managed to lose about 15 pounds. As soon as I went to the secound stage where you add the veggies back I instantly regained everything I had lost in the first stage.
Also the constipation issues were unbearable.

IP gives you a small supply of carbs right from the word go. That way your body is not totally shocked when you add normal food back.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #6  

Im pretty sure you can just do egg whites and sweetener. I believe I have made them this way before. You might just have to work extra hard at getting the egg whites to peak or stiffen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandralosingweight View Post
Hello,

Do you think I can get good results using baking powder instead of cream of tartar? Have you ever tried it with baking powder?

I hope it would work, I love meringues but I was never successful baking them myself.