Old 02-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #1  
thinagain

S/C/G: 237/213/120

Height: 5'4

Default ??? about goal weight

my friend told me that my goal weight was ridiculous at 120 because of my age,,,lol. i know i shouldn't care what other people think,,,but this is my best friend for 26 years who gives her opinions out of love.

does anyone else think that's ridiculous. keep in mind,,,i am very small frame. 31 years of age.
nicolebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't know where your friend is coming from. I have never heard that weight depends on age. I am much older and shorter than you and have a lower goal weight.
Yes. I think your friends comment is ridiculous.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Ignore your friend and don't talk about your goal with people...they get a little uneasy if you might wind up being smaller than them.

Reevaluate as you go down and see how you feel. You might want to get to 120, you might not It all depends.

I'm glad I never listened to other people...I would never be here!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

1) You are 31, not 300.

2) It's silly to argue the final goal NOW when there's so many numbers to go through first. It's only a goal.

3) When you get closer to it where it's on the horizon, then you can "fine tune" it some more.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #5  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

I've read a lot of threads about people's negative comments about goal weight. IDK others make thoughtless comments, it's not up to them.

Don't worry about it, worry about your goals.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post

2) It's silly to argue the final goal NOW when there's so many numbers to go through first. It's only a goal.

3) When you get closer to it where it's on the horizon, then you can "fine tune" it some more.
These. Knowing whether your ultimate goal weight is 130 or 135 or 140 doesn't change your planning and behavior today, does it? You still have to plan, you still have to stick to your plan. Those things take a lot of mental energy. So, I advise you to spend your weight-loss-related mental energy on that - and not to spend another ounce of mental energy thinking about your goal weight. Don't think about it until you are so close to being done losing weight that you are deciding whether to change your behavior right now.

See what my goal weight is over there <-------. I am beginning a long, slow transition to maintenance, and I still haven't chosen a number. I still don't know what will turn out to be the right maintenance weight for me. It depends upon how my body looks after a lose a few more pounds, and how much more it takes me to get there. When either (a) I'm satisfied with how my body looks and feels, or (b) losing more weight is taking more effort than I am willing or able to put in, then I will know I'm done. I can't tell you even now what that number will be. There is no way I could have guessed it 100 pounds ago!

Last edited by carter; 02-02-2012 at 09:24 AM.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Your goal weight falls exactly in line with the guideline of "healthy weight = 100 lbs + 5 lbs for every inch above 5 feet." So no, it doesn't seem too low. And at 31 you're just a spring chicken (from my vantage point of 55). Three months ago I reached my own goal weight of 145 lbs, which is 10 lbs UNDER the figure from the above equation. (I'm 5'11".) I'm still trying to decide if my current weight is realistic. I love how I look in clothes (and out of them!), but I'm often cold and a bit hungry, though the past two weeks have been a lot better than the previous two weeks, for unknown reasons. I eat about 1,900 calories per day and exercise 4-5 times a week.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<A woman's weight does go up by 1-2 lbs (or kgs, can't remember which!) each decade. >>

Well, it doesn't just "go up" automatically. It goes up when we eat more than our bodies require and/or don't move enough. At least, that's what I tell myself.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #9  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'd just ignore it. Does she know your exact height? Has she calculated your body fat percentage or talked to your doctor? Does she have the same muscle mass, body frame, and body type as you? Probably not...

I've found that it can be really hard for others to put themselves in someone else's shoes and understand that a weight that might seem high or low to them might be perfectly acceptable on another person's body.

When I hear the number "120"lbs, it sounds SO low TO ME because I think I'd look like a skeleton at that weight (I have a large frame, muscular, pretty curvy etc). But realistically, on someone two inches shorter than me with a small frame that's a completely acceptable weight. So a person has to make that next logical step after the gut feeling (primarily based on personal experience) on whether a weight is high or low and some people are just not able to make that step. Especially if that person has never struggled with his/her weight.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #10  
thinagain

S/C/G: 237/213/120

Height: 5'4

Default thanks to all

thank you all for your heartfelt comments. the reason i chose that weight because that is what i was freshman year college. i use to be the top flyer in all the cheerleading mounts,,,lol. so i guess thats why i chose that weight because i felt good in it. i wore siz 7/8. i guess it does depend on height because some of my friends would look deathly ill at that weight.

as for the jealousy comment. i have about 4 friends that i talk to weekly. i know one of them would apply to jealousy. however my best friend who told me weight ridiculous,,,loves me like a mother loves their child and i do her to. it makes eachother happy when eachother are happy. thank you for the comment,,like i said i do have one friend i'd apply that too. the friend that i would apply that to,,,told me i was getting obsessed with weight loss.

i will try to just look at my small goals for now... however im so excited about about the final,,,lol,

thanks to all
luv all my weight loss buddies.
nicolebug is offline   Reply With Quote