Ideal Protein Diet - help please?

View Full Version : help please?

emkay
02-01-2012, 08:01 PM
am i doing something wrong?

i feel like crap! hardly have the strength to move. my arms have no strength and i feel kinda shaky. it's my tom...so that could be part of it, but for over a week i have lost little to nothing. tomorrow i have my 2nd weigh in. i have been following the diet exactly, 3 packets/ day (including one restricted) and drinking lots. i can't figure out why i'm not adjusting. i was told my hunger would go away (along with cravings). i'm just as hungry as ever but have verified that i am in ketosis.

any suggestions? i just really wanna know that this is normal... thanks.

Beanie Mommy
02-01-2012, 08:13 PM

i feel like crap! hardly have the strength to move. my arms have no strength and i feel kinda shaky. it's my tom...so that could be part of it, but for over a week i have lost little to nothing. tomorrow i have my 2nd weigh in. i have been following the diet exactly, 3 packets/ day (including one restricted) and drinking lots. i can't figure out why i'm not adjusting. i was told my hunger would go away (along with cravings). i'm just as hungry as ever but have verified that i am in ketosis.

Hang in there. It will get better.

Are you eating plenty of lettuce? If you're eating iceberg you may want to switch to romaine or green leaf. I find those more satisfying. Also make sure not to skimp on veggies and olive oil. Try eating more dense veggies like broccoli and cauliflower. They are good at filling you up, but keep you OP.

Don't snack in between. I found that when I eat veggies in between meals that creates more cravings for more, but everyone is different. I drink herbal tea when my hunger arrives early. That usually helps tide me over.

I hope this helps a little. I wish you good luck and lots of willpower while you're struggling.

emkay
02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
thanks so much for the encouragement Beanie Mommy! i am eating romaine, and lots of it at lunch time. (afraid i can't stomach more than one salad a day). for my other meal i usually have either broccoli, cauliflower, some sort of greens (like kale, collards or mustard) or the occasion green beans. i've not been snacking between but do have peppermint tea in the mornings and some MIO in my water in the afternoons. i just can't figure out why i'm doing as well as my couch said i'd do. all that hunger being gone and no more cravings just isn't happening for me. i'm zero energy and on the verge of hypoglycemia, it seems.

Beanie Mommy
02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Try skipping the Mio. Just for a few days. I don't use it, but I read on this forum that some people get worse cravings from it.

I also get just ravenous when I eat the IP bars. The sweeter IP products do that to me in general. I try to stick to the omelets and the salty snacks as much as possible. Something in my brain just wants me to eat sweets and toms of them. Maybe you're wired similar.

It could also just take some extra time for your stomach to shrink down. Don't be discouraged. I had very little energy for 3-4 weeks, but in the last week or so ( I'm at the end of week5) it's gotten back to pretty normal.

Hope you find lots of encouragement on this site - I know I have.

emkay
02-01-2012, 08:43 PM
thanks again. i was off the mio for a few days and i think i was better... then again maybe it's because of my tom. so hard to say. at least if i know it's fairly normal i can hang in there with a better attitude. :) appreciate all your pointers- i'll keep looking for me!

New Englander
02-01-2012, 08:44 PM

Be sure to pass this by your coach. They should be looking at your journal to find any issues (if there are any). But, without seeing your journal I can just say be sure to get your salt intake throughout the day and be sure to get your 1 - 2 tsp of olive oil. And yes, don't skimp on the veggies and eat 8 ounces of protein at dinner time...also be sure you're eating every 4-5 hours. Good luck and I do hope this gets better for you. I mean, it should but it's gotta suck feeling like you do... :(

QHLover
02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
it does take a few weeks to get your energy back, i always feel hungry when I am losing the most so hopefully that is the case. also, I have to take 2 potassium pills a day, i was feeling faint and had muscle cramps and with the two pill that went away. can you call your coach for some advice? make sure you eat the maximum you are allowed on days you feel crappy.

Momto2cs
02-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Stay off te scale. Definitely consider taking 2 potassium and make sure you are taking the other supplements.

A couple of dill pickles or some egg whites with sea salt can also work wonders!

Hope it passes!

emkay
02-01-2012, 10:37 PM
thanks everyone. i have an appointment with my couch tomorrow. i'll run this all by them. i'm feeling considerably better since eating supper tonight... still kinda foggy minded tho and a bit weak in the arms. we'll see what they say. i appreciate all the help so much!

Carrielee
02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Try drinking tea it helps me out between meals.. and of course you may not have lost much due to TOM.. it will come.. dont lose faith and keep at it!

Lakewood
02-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi Emkay -

You can have up to 5 packs a day. If you are shaky - Please EAT! A few questions: How much to you weigh and how much do you want to lose? How tall are you? Are you on any meds - blood sugar, blood pressure, thyroid? Once on the program I had to adjust all my meds very quickly. When I started the program, I was on 8 different meds. Now, I'm on 3.

Perhaps you can post your meals so we can take a look. Sometimes others can see what you cannot. I've seen lots of meals postings and at first blush they look fine. But after the ladies take a closer look, they can ferret out trouble!

Good luck!

MustangMolly
02-02-2012, 08:14 AM
don't forget your salt, that is also very important.

Paint Lady
02-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I remember feeling foggy brained for about a week or two in the beginning. My blood pressure was low. Do you have a way to check it? Lick some sea salt off the back of your hand and drink 8 oz water. This works for headaches, but my FIL swears that it makes him feel "not starving" after he does it. He was a snack-a-holic before IP, so I'm sure it cuts the craving for salty snacks for him. The foggy brain is a typical feeling for those who are low carb dieting. I google researched it to death when I was experiencing the same thing. The good news is that it does go away, it just may take a week or two.

emkay
02-02-2012, 10:57 AM
thanks EVERYONE for all the great advice! i will be drawing on it in the days and weeks ahead... GREAT NEWS!! mystery solved. hopped on the scale this morning and am down 3.5 lbs (after nothing for over a week!) whew! what giant sigh of relief! i am feeling better today and no wonder after that giant shift in fluids yesterday. crazy TOM! i am learning much about my body and how things work on this diet. next i feel so lethargic i will be looking forward to a tip in the scale next day. hugs to you all!! chin up and marching forward. :)

Sucree
02-02-2012, 11:43 AM
If you feel hungry, please eat a packet. It's better to eat an extra packet and to go off the program. An extra packet will not make you gain.

Good Luck

Sucree
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
I would just like to add. I am on my 8th day today. I lost 9 lbs this week, and I had those moments when I thought I was going to faint, I took about 1 or 2 extra packets most days. I chose that over giving up and making myself a sandwich, and 9 lbs later as of this morning :). Just my 2 cents, an extra packet will save your sanity :)

SaraBean
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
You can also mix a tablespoon of seasalt in with a glass of water. This always helps get rid of my headache and gives me energy :)

emkay
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
thank you both. that's amazing to lose 9 lbs despite the extra packets. i'm always scared of what going off plan will do to me personally... to my head, ya know? i'm one of those "all or nothing" sorts and just scared that if i "cheat"- even if it's okay'd by some couches (not by mine that i know of) in my mind it will set me back in a big way and lead to worse things. hopefully that yucky feeling i had yesterday was just the big water shift i had because today i am feeling soooo much better. i'll run it all by my couch today and see what she says. so glad to hear that you all are figuring things out too. it's a process- and we are all just doing the best we can. let's keep it up! ;)

Barb Light
02-02-2012, 01:40 PM
"am i doing something wrong?

any suggestions? i just really wanna know that this is normal... thanks."

(I haven't posted much and don't know just how to do this or how to put the above in a quote box yet.)

I have learned a lot on this thread myself, and just want to add a few points. The main one is, as I believe others may have said is, don't try to eat LESS. Eat everything on the program, and possibly an extra IP packet or even two now and then if needed. Also, get some exercise in. Depending on what you're used to, it may be "exercise lite" for awhile - slow short walks, for example. This is quite a transition for most of our bodies, and they may try to save energy.

If you take blood pressure meds, have your BP checked at your doctor's. It can go down very quickly on IP, and s/he may change your meds.
Also, I have found that if I listen quietly to what I want when I'm "hungry," it often isn't a hunger for food. A walk with my dog, a call to a good friend, asking a SO for help, a good book, a nap, a massage, a soaky bath, de-cluttering something, hiring some help... whatever. I simply need more time for myself than I was used to taking. Plus I don't know if there's a way to keep on doing everything except eating exactly the way we were and still succeed in this program. To me, it seems as if it kind of demands that we begin taking steps to upgrade the quality of our lives. At least for me, all that food filled some kind of void, and now it needs to be filled with something better.

My IP coach said to remember that I am not on a diet, I'm making a commitment to my health. I think it goes even further than that and say that I am making a commitment to my life. Who wants to be thin, even if healthy, with crappy relationships, a dirty unwelcoming home, an unfulfilling job, etc? NOT, NOT, NOT; did I say NOT? that we do it all at once. Carpe diem. Seize and enjoy the moments this day while taking (small are FINE) steps toward the life of one's dreams.

thegooch
03-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Hi everyone. I love reading all the posts it got me through my first week. I am in week 2 and for the past few days I have had like a foggy cloudy brain feeling like I am just not with it. Has anyone else felt this? Any advice? :o

Sewmam
03-27-2012, 10:05 PM
gooch, I just read this whole thread and there are several ideas on it. It should pass for most people, but the salt-on-the-hand thing seems to work for alot of things, as well as check your blood pressure, drink all your water, eat all the vegees and proteins they say and the oil too. A lot of people add an extra packet if need be. You can also take a little of your dinner protein portion and have some in the afternoon, if that time of the day is worse for you. Be sure to talk to your coach too.

Unfortunately, for me, I've had serious brain-fog for over 12 years because of fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue, so it has not gotten better on this diet, at all. But that's my life. :)

Hang in there and don't give up!