Exercise! - FEBRUARY running!

View Full Version : FEBRUARY running!

ncuneo
02-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone, busy busy busy today!

So here it is - February's running thread. Come share your milage, questions, experiences - we want to hear it all! We don't care about distance or pace - if you run, you're a RUNNER!

I did a quick 4 miler this morning. Lower milage today in preparation for Sunday's big 20 mile run! I'm so excited! It will me my longest run to date and indicates the peak in my marathon training. I do have one more 20 miler planned, so it's a long peak!

Good run today, nothing too exciting to report. Doing well with my food this week, trying to keep the deficit to a minimum so I have plenty of fuel for Sunday's run. I'll probably pull it up to full blown maintenance cals Friday and Saturday.

That's it for me today - happy running everyone!

philana
02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the new thread ncuneo!

I'll repost my message from earlier today:

PaintedButterfly: I only recently started running but I don't always take rest days between runs. Only life gets in the way so often I do. Not because I believe it necesary though.

--
I want to thank you guys for helping me on my way with running. Ever since I quit the c25k I feel a bit lost and on my own. Haha. I try and google stuff, but I prefer just simple help from people who have been where I am at.

Like I said the other day after I ran my first 2miler, I did a 2.5mile today in 27 minutes. It's a bit slower than my 2mile run because you guys advised me to maybe slow down some. I found it VERY hard to slow down. I felt like I went very slow but the difference is really small. I still run an average of 11min/mile. I did not have any pains from my previous run and during running I don't get uncomfortable either.

I got a heartrate monitor today and been figuring it out somewhat. During the run I tried to keep my heartrate below 180 - only near the end it started creeping up to 185-187. I know it's rather high but even when I slowed down and paid good attention to my breathing it stayed that way.

So any tips on how to slow down without feeling like I am walking are welcome. And what should I look for as signs that I am overdoing it?

Thanks in advance! And keep it up you gals! :D

--
Update: Just did a short practice run, a 1.2mile in 14.40 minutes. That's an average of 1mile/12min. I paid super good attention to slow pace, kept my heartrate between 160-170. I think I got the hang of this a bit slower running now. Hihi.

PaintedButterfly
02-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Thought I'd reply here in the new thread :)
Thanks for the input ncuneo and philana. Wow you do a lot ncuneo! Atm I'm just doing the running 3 times a week and hill walking every day (but I walk more on the days I'm not running). I guess it would make sense to include some exercise that doesn't just use my legs! My legs are killing me today :(. I'm trying out stretching before running (I do a walking warm up already) and hoping that will help.
Does anyone use a pedometer? I just got one and I'm planning on working my way up to 10000 steps a day but I don't know if it'll work when I'm running too or if that's cheating (probably is :P).. I guess I could mess around and change the stride length but I'm having difficulty getting it to measure accurately just when walking :\ I can't get a consistent stride length it seems lol

devadiva
02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Migraine today NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

mkroyer
02-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Ncuneo--

so you have 2 20 milers? when is the second one? and when is your marathon (in comparison to that second one?)

Im going to warn you straight out..... your first 20 miler is going to SUCK. SUCK BADLY. Suck so much that you will doubt your ability to run another 10K further..... Im not trying to discourage you ;) you WILL DO IT. Youll be fine--> but the doubts will still be there.

My whole point:
#1) ive been staying out of the disscussions about pace and long runs when training for fulls and halfs becuz i didnt want to *start* anything, but here's whats up.... YES, its *technically true* that your long runs are *supposed* to be anywhere from 60-90 min/mile slower than goal race pace. BUT, and i stress BUT, you dont have a goal race pace, is that correct? you just want to finish, and you really only have "1" pace anyway, when youre running longer distances, correct? im talking about you personally Jen. I believe in the go slower to go further motto, and i definitely think that you should, on THIS FIRST 20 miler.
HOWEVER, the running slower on long training runs is really advisable for people who are going to "RACE" the marathon.... or at least "race" themselves..... someone who is highly trained, with different paces in their pockets they can pull out any day-- doesnt necessarily mean a competitive or professional runner, but a more advanced one. The reason their long runs are slow is because they tear up their bodies so much when they race long at race pace, that they cant afford the training time it takes to recover. A "newbie" to these long distances, on the other hand.... its just... DIFFERENT.

You cant TRAIN for 20 miles at a 12 minute/mile than "magically" expect to pull out a 10 min/mile on the big day.... YA RIGHT. a seasoned runner--> different story. EVEN I feel uncomfy NOT doing my long runs at goal pace, or at least the 2nd half of the run at goal pace. Sometimes i do. Sometimes i even make them LA Threshold runs. But i reserve some long runs FOR goal pace, because it builds confidence... just like that "half-mary" you just did in training, KWIM?

My ADVICE to You: do this 20 miler slower--> ONLY to guarentee you finish it. Then do your second one, at the pace you "expect" to run the marathon at. Your NORMAL PACE-- or at least the 2nd 10 miles of it and above ALL, if at ALL POSSIBLE, can you get another 20 miler in before the big day? (thats why i first asked about the timing of your 2nd 20 miler and the marathon). You dont need a month to taper, IMO. Thats more for, once again, people who are RACING the race..... two/three weeks is adequate time to taper, and believe me, the confidence and endurance you gain from doing a third 20 miler, will be priceless

other runners will give you advice "straight from the book". I am trying to give you practical advice.
if you can get in 3 20 mile training runs, by the time you do the marathon you will be so comfortable with the distance, it will literally be cake. My first was.. BECAUSE I DID THREE 20 mile training runs ( and lots and LOTS of LA Threshold training).

So, im ready for the storm of dissaproval on my advice now ;)

mkroyer
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Philana-
may i ask why you are converned with your HR staying within a certain range on your runs? Does it matter? Are you UNABLE to finish your runs because your HR is so high? Or were you told/read somewhere to keep it in a particular range?

philana
02-02-2012, 11:38 AM
mkroyer - I just use it as a means of slowing down some. I was running rather fast and my heartrate was up in a range that to me seems high (180-190). I did my first longer than 8minutes run this week (2miles) and the other day 2.5 miles. I finished them both relatively easy. But I am very bad at really listening to my body. I ran them quite fast also.

Looking at my heartrate helped me figure out wether I was running slower than the last time. But if you have a better way for me to keep myself paced then I'd like to hear it. I'm sure i'll notice eventually if I keep going too fast but I rather not reach the point where I am no longer enjoying myself. ;)

PaintedButterfly
02-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Well I started week two of couch to 5K and did the first one in the dark across frozen solid fields in bright moonlight which was fantastic. The ground was so crunchy under foot :D
I've got to say I think comparatively this week is easier than the first week even though it feels a bit daunting going up the 30 seconds to 90 (haha all you marathon runners must think this so bizarre lol) because there's then a 2 minute walking period I reckon it's easier :)

So what I'm saying if you're a C25Ker and on the first week and thinking bloody **** I'm never going to be able to do this- hang on in there. It gets easier :)

seagirl
02-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I just did day 2 of Couch to 5K!

I had tried it once before, in the heat of summer on a day when I biked and swam and then tried to run on a track at high noon. Yeah, not so much....

Also, I'm doing trail running since I feel at home on trails and they seem gentler on my legs. I really like it, even though I think I get a bit of exercise induced asthma (wheezy and tight, not just winded.) I'm joining a gym that my friends belong to so I can do a couple of treadmill runs a week and I'll see if it makes a difference in the breathing being inside instead of out in the cold.

ncuneo
02-02-2012, 08:50 PM
MK - so my first 20 is this weekend, then the rest of the runs go 16, 12, 20, 12, 8, RACE (March 18th).

So probably no room for a 3rd 20. Although I could probably go 20, 16, 20, 16, 20, 8 then race, but I don't think I'm comfortable with that at this point.

I will being doing a second full, I already know it, and I've already picked out my next training program and it does have 3 20s in it, so I'll get there.

I think your pace advice is sound advice and I've actually kinda of been doing that, basically just practicing doing a negative split on my LRs.

As far as my first 20 sucking...I'll keep you posted :) LOL. I'm not convinced, this training has been going so well that I'm staying really positive. My 18 miler was AMAZING, and I did a negative split on that run. I've been really honing in on my fueling, hydrating and pacing strategies and I think it's really transformed my running and my confidence. That's not to say that I'm not going to be doubtful after the 20 that I'll be able to go for another 10k:)

I apologize for not having time right now to address the other posts, but I'm under a HUGE deadling and gotta run!

Spin class and strength training tonight, 6 mile speed run tomorrow.

philana
02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Just ran 2.2 miles through 3inches of snow. It was so awesome! Hihi. I felt like I could have gone longer, but was out in the cold for 29minutes and figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. Was good practice on my ankles too. Hihi.

PaintedButterfly
02-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Philana that sounds gorgeous :D. I wish we had snow here. We just have freezing temperatures and a lot of ice but they reckon we might get snow at the weekend.

Seagirl high five fellow C25Ker! I get mild exercise asthma too.. seems to be worst when running frustatingly. One thing that I've found that helps is to concentrate on breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth.. so in through my nose for three, then out through my mouth for three. Somehow that seems to help. I think the cold weather makes it worse too :(. I've seen recommendations to wear a scarf over your nose and mouth to basically warm the air up and it's supposed to help but I just can't imagine running like that :|

philana
02-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Did another run in the snow today, we (the dog and me) did 2.6 miles in 32 minutes. Would have been less had we not been hold up by all the dogowners and kids on sleds. Lol.

A picture of the scenery for those interested:

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/full/509937759.jpg?Expires=1328365980&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=OFllYo99jDxAI~90EHMfw51FlkL3~K3JvfCfT25H yirXhoOhSNWlf1Q1Rlb8imDCioGqN~B70chfQhuQGDwALQFw~W www23idO4jAyrCktG3l-9AZfiITgTqazgq5Qfm7dgYQ~bM2QW74kcR3FMgCZWAZXu8GHjf tW3xCIAvrsI_

seagirl
02-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Philana that sounds gorgeous :D. I wish we had snow here. We just have freezing temperatures and a lot of ice but they reckon we might get snow at the weekend.

Seagirl high five fellow C25Ker! I get mild exercise asthma too.. seems to be worst when running frustatingly. One thing that I've found that helps is to concentrate on breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth.. so in through my nose for three, then out through my mouth for three. Somehow that seems to help. I think the cold weather makes it worse too :(. I've seen recommendations to wear a scarf over your nose and mouth to basically warm the air up and it's supposed to help but I just can't imagine running like that :|

Thanks. I'm going to try the scarf tomorrow when I run outside. I went to the gym with my friends today and did Cto5K on the treadmill. I didn't like it as much because I was constantly hitting the up and down buttons for the speed instead of just being able to change my stride. And it was so hot! but I liked being with my friends so that was good. My lungs felt better with the warm air, though.

ncuneo
02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you guys are doing so great with c25k!

Just guzzled down my half cup of coffee and my half bagle with PB. I usually put a banana on it too, but I just picked them up from the store and they are too green...my eating went ok Firday and yesterday so I don't think any of that will be an issue on today's run, but I wasn't as "clean" and on plan as I like to be. However, I wasn't an all out piggy so any additional cals should just fuel me. My only concern is that I haven't slept that well the last 3 nights...so I'm hoping that I've gotten enough rest to pull this off. I kinda want to go back to bed right now...but am contemplating maybe another half cup of coffee instead...I have 90 mins before go time so I should be in the clear if you KWIM:)

Got my GUs out a ready, trying not to be too pissed that I'll be consuming 400 cals in gel today...that's a freakin' meal! So...20 miles...I can't quite wrap my head around it...it's not too overwhelming because it is only 2 more miles than 18, which I've already conquered, but still...anyway, gonna get that extra cup of coffee and get ready...what to wear, what to wear.

seagirl
02-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Have fun Ncuneo! Don't be pissed you have to take in calories, that's fuel for all the work your body is doing!! You could stay home and lie on the couch and not have to take in the fuel....but that doesn't sound very fun. ;)

PaintedButterfly
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
O0o let me know if the running with a scarf over your moth works seagirl! It's warmed up here (to like 6 degrees instead of -3!) so I actually had very little trouble at all running outdoors today which was nice.

Wow Ncuneo I'm in awe! I hope your 20 miles went well today :D

I just did my second week 2 C25K run. It was supposed to be yesterday but the conditions were just too bad. I've run in the dark, I've run in the rain, I've run on frozen ground in sub zero conditions.. but because I was so busy during the day I was going to have to run in the dark, in absolutely torrential rain on frozen and therefore melting ground and it was also foggy.. and I just drew the line there :P
Anyway today went really well :D I'm certain I'm getting fitter cos today was just so much easier than it has been. One more run then it's onto week 3! I'm excited now.

Oh and hallelujah! My weight has gone back down finally so I'm hoping the weight increase people seem to talk about when starting exercise has finally finished and I'll now go back to losing weight cos I now weigh the same amount as when I started exercising which is a relief cos it went up A LOT.

I'm curious as to what people eat before they run? I ate a banana today and had a couple cups of coffee and a glass of water before I ran and that seemed to work quite well :)

devadiva
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Friday ran 5.1 thught I posted??? Anyways Hubby day onSat. will run today.
NCUNEO: You rock! you imppress me every post

As for the cold I know what all of you are saying it hurts my lungs,a scarf or baklva[sp] work well you can cover your mouth and you don't have to breathe the cold air.

devadiva
02-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Sunday ran 6.1 getting closer to 10K. Been running some different route trying not to push it and lots of rolling prior and after running to ward injury.Today I will cross train. I walk a couple miles everyday anyways also.

philana
02-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Yesterday was a rest day but I did walk a lot in heels due to a party hihi. Today at the beginning of my run my calves felt really tired, could it have been the heels? I barely ever wear them so my legs arent so used to them.

I wanted to run atleast 3miles today because I hadn't yet and I am running a 3.1m/5k in a month. I ended up running 3.5miles/5.6k because that was the nicer route. Took me 45mins through the snow and with the dog that needed attention a few times. I am not gonna add on any more distance for the next 2 weeks because I went from my first 1mile a week ago to 3.5 now. Might be a bit fast. Though i've not had any issues and I can talk while I run so should be fine.

ncuneo
02-06-2012, 03:14 PM
20 miler went well, not as awesome as 18, but well. I paced properly so I was able to pick it up during the last 10 miles. I'm very happy with the run overall, but a little anxious about how the actually marathon is going to go, I think those last 6.2 miles are going to HURT! There were a few outside factors (not enough rest, not eating clean enough, negative thinking, maybe still running a bit too fast) that I think I can improve upon.

Recovery is going good, not too sore today and I think I'll be able to make it to spin class tonight for a little recovery work out.

Other than being completely bloated from the 20 miler, TOM arriving 4-6 days early (thankfully after the run:)) and the extra carbs, I feel good!

Have a great week everybody!

gatorpharm
02-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I am a beginner runner, and have been slowly improving for the last three weeks! I'm at the point now where I can run non-stop for about half a mile (which is a huge improvement for me, as I would have to stop wayyy before that when I started)! The only thing is, whenever I'm done running I have this strange wheezing and coughing episode that lasts a few hours...anyone else go through the same thing? If so, did it improve as you got more fit/lost more weight? I'm thinking it could be exercised induced asthma, but I have never had a problem with this in the past, even when I used to play sports!

PaintedButterfly
02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Woop Woop just completed week 2 of C25K and today I was actually surprised when it was suddenly the end rather than thinking "Argh when will this end? I must be done now?!". I'm so itching to start week 3 now...
Only problem is back in August I tore the muscles in my calf/knee and it was all really swollen and nasty and I was on prescription pain killers and walking with a stick for weeks but then it all healed up fine and both me and the doctor decided it must just have been a muscle tear not a ligament damage.. but now that leg is killing me when I run! It also aches the next day. Don't get me wrong it's no where near as bad as it was in August and I can still run on it with no problem (apart from the pain) but I'm really not loving this for obvious reasons. It starts as an ache in the calf then progresses to like a pulling sensation in my knee.. like I've pulled a muscle.. and later on my calf and knee feels like it's burning.. it's usually alright by the second day and well until I run that day again! Anyone got any idea what this is and what might help? I warm up, stretch and warm down... but I'm thinking since the other leg doesn't bother me it must be more than just not warming up/stretching properly. I'm seeing the doctor on Thursday for something else so I think I'll mention to him then I just hope it's nothing serious and I can keep running on it!

gatorpharm I get that too, I was told by my doctor I have mild exercise asthma. It's something you should mention to your doctor and if it gets worse go back to him about. Is it cold where you are? For me it's much worse in the cold and pretty much everyone can get that in cold weather when running.
It seems to have got much better for me now. I've been running again (I used to run years ago) for only 2-3 weeks and already today was so much better. However it's also gone up by about 8 degrees and before it was about -3 so pretty damn cold for running! So whether it's got better purely because of the temperature increase or because I've got fitter I don't know.

seagirl
02-08-2012, 08:03 PM
PaintedButterfly, that's great about completing week 2! I just did day 1 of week 2. I took a few days off since an old ankle sprain was making itself known, but I did the stairclimber on Monday which felt good, and I got new shoes which feel better, too. When I did C25K today, my ankle felt good, my lungs felt good. My shins are still like "what are you doing?!" but they will recover by Friday.

devadiva
02-09-2012, 10:42 AM
ncunceo: Congrats on your 20 miles!!!!

And great work by everyone else

As for me have not run since Sun my 6 miler. I did cross taining of 1 hr of CapoFlex on Mon And by tue am I had EXTREME knots in my calves so have been rolling them, Went to my stregth cardo exercise class tues. but nada yesterday. Due to same thing.Work today and exercise class tonight hopefully can run tommaro.

UPSIDE I have lost 11 pound still have 8lbs to get to 135 where I like to be {its only been a couple weeks IAM DETERMINED to get back!!!

andrew80k
02-09-2012, 04:21 PM
I started running again in January after a REALLY long absence. I worked my way up to 5k so far every other day. Now I'm working on time a bit and getting a little more speed. I'm down to doing it in 32:23. I usually do slow Mondays, faster Wednesdays, and fast as I can on Fridays. So far that hasn't been too fast, but I'm getting better. I may start working toward 10k in a month or two. I don't really have any plans for doing marathons or halfs. So far for February I have logged 20k.

devadiva
02-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Hi all ran a different route got in 6.6 with my garmin. Was able to track out what my 10k would be 1;14;04 not fast but felt goodand not to bad I guess using that AGE GRADING CACULATOR you guys told me about. I am 59 so it gave me a time of 57:31. Which makes me feel a little better as I improve but very slowly.

seagirl
02-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Week 2 day 2 of Sloth to Gazelle. The first couple of times my lungs and shins killed. Today my lungs were fine, my shins felt a little sore and my quads felt like they were being ripped off my femurs. I'm hoping that all my parts will get themselves worked out as time goes on and I won't feel like death while I run.

PaintedButterfly
02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Week 2 day 2 of Sloth to Gazelle.
This made me really laugh! I way prefer that name :D.

Well done on keeping on going! It does get progressively easier I find. I've hit week 3 and did day 2 today and finding it a bit easy all of a sudden and getting bored so I'm skipping the rest days now till it gets harder again and then I'll go back to taking them.

seagirl
02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
This made me really laugh! I way prefer that name :D.

Well done on keeping on going! It does get progressively easier I find. I've hit week 3 and did day 2 today and finding it a bit easy all of a sudden and getting bored so I'm skipping the rest days now till it gets harder again and then I'll go back to taking them.

Cool. I just signed up for a 5K on St Paddy's Day. I'll be on week 7 then I think, so I'll be able to make it through just fine!

ncuneo
02-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Everyone is doing fantastic!

I've been sick this week, but it's been above the neck so I've still been running. 4 on Wednesday and 8 Friday. Today I'm not feeling much better and starting to worry about tomorrow's "cutback" run - 16 miles...seriously when did 16 miles become a cutback week. I'm planning on resting today, although there's lots to do so it will be difficult, but no intense exercise. Tomorrow I'll just have to listen to my body. Fortunately, my program comes with 2 cutback weeks after the first 20 miler so I have lots of time to get better as my next 20 isn't for 2 weeks.

On a crazy note, I'm seriously considering upgrading my June half marathon to a full marathon if all goes well at my first marathon...so I'll have about 8-10 weeks to train for my second half depending on how much rest I need after the first. It's official, I'm addicted.

Keep it up everyone, happy running!

sznn
02-14-2012, 12:33 AM
I am living precariously through all your accomplishments. I haven't been in my running groove for almost a year now - very sad. I go for 'wogs' but end up mostly walking. When I start running, i just want to stop:(
Legs feel heavy and full of aches and pains. Any runners experienced this before? How do you get that running 'chi' back?
BTW i used to run a few 10k's/wk.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Susan

seagirl
02-14-2012, 09:32 AM
I am living precariously through all your accomplishments. I haven't been in my running groove for almost a year now - very sad. I go for 'wogs' but end up mostly walking. When I start running, i just want to stop:(
Legs feel heavy and full of aches and pains. Any runners experienced this before? How do you get that running 'chi' back?
BTW i used to run a few 10k's/wk.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Susan

With Couch to 5K you walk and run at set intervals. So if your legs feel heavy and achy you know you only need to run for 15 more seconds. The first day I went my shins felt like they were being sliced through with bone saws and my lungs felt like someone had shoved Brillo Pads and molasses down them.

A few days ago I was doing it and it felt like my quads were detatching from my femurs. But I ran until the recording said "walk."

I had no chi. No flow. No high. But I was following the program. Now, there's more flow, more chi. My legs feel stronger, my lungs are better.

I highly recommend the Couch to 5k recordings. Then you just follow the program. If your legs hurt, you follow it. If you feel awesome, you follow it. If you feel bored or exuberant - follow the program.

sshadoww11
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
No Problem --

iowasteph2
02-17-2012, 12:14 AM
Hi ladies! I'd love to join you! I haven't been around 3fatchicks for years, but I'm going to try to get back into the swing of posting! I also just started exercising again in December. I followed the plan in the book "Run Your Butt Off," which is essentially the same thing as Couch to 5k. I finished the program a couple of weeks ago.

I'm really interested in running a half marathon. There's one in August that I'm particularly interested in. I just dn't know if that's too ambitious of a goal, but I'm going to try!

You're all so inspiring! I look forward to joining you!

ncuneo
02-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Not too ambitious at all Iowa - go for it! When I did my first half I decided in July and ran it in November.

I've been sick all week, but manage to get my miles in, but had to do them back to back since I was pretty much bed ridden the begining of the week. Did 8 last night and 5 this morning. Got 12 miles to do this week and then the big 2nd 20 miler is next weekend - can't wait!

devadiva
02-17-2012, 06:55 PM
ran 6.2 this morning my knee has been hinky so did not push it just want to run. Took 1hr and 15 min. My 10k race is next Sat. I did not run at all this weekto rest knee hoping it feels good in Morn want to run a few days in a row as mid week working.

seagirl
02-18-2012, 10:08 AM
I find this thread so inspiring!

I'm on week 3 of C25K and my friend and I are going running for the first time together. So excited!

fromthebox
02-20-2012, 12:44 PM
*waves*
I've been afraid of this thread in the past. Mostly because I'm ashamed of my terrible running ability. I've decided I have to man up now though, I signed up for a 120 mile relay race (my portion is 6.7 miles) in late April and I'm deathly afraid I'll be so slow my teammates will resent me. Not that we're going to win, the groups that do have try-outs for their team and train for months. But my teammates run an 8:15 average mile, whereas, I did my first 6 mile "run" (in which I ran 300yds walked 100yds each circuit of the track) In 1hr 10 min last night. That's an 11:45 average mile.

So, my two questions for you are, how did you break through the mental barrier to running continuously rather than having walk breaks? And how do I go about improving my speed?

I know everyone swears by it but please don't tell me to do C25K, it didn't work for me and makes me focus too much on running *only* until the thing says stop/the timer counts down which is how I ended up with this run/walk problem in the first place.

devadiva
02-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Sat ran 3.5 Sun off Monday ran 6.2 trying to get ready for my first 10kon Sat. My knees are still not great.....May decide after this race to stay with 3.5 and 5 mile runs. May just be to much for these old joints {and I HATE thinking old} but the reality is at just shy of 60 I just want to be able to KEEP running as it brings me such JOY!!!And it is a new found hobby of less than 6 months.

ncuneo
02-21-2012, 07:08 PM
fromthebox, first of all - welcome! Second, I completely understand your fear, and that you are intimidated, but don't be. All your runner pals haven't always run 8:15.

Lastly, to improve your speed you need to building endurance via - speed work and long runs. Two totally different types of endurance and skills. Speed work can be intervals, fartleks, etc. A little googling or a PM to MKroyer will provide you tons of info. Second long runs - you need to be sure you are doing a long run every week and continuing to push yourself to run longer without walking to get yourself to a point where you can continuously run. Just add 10% to your long run each week and run for 10% longer before walking each time.

Running is like any sport it just takes practice and time. Good luck to you!

I'm just plugging along. 20 miler this weekend then the big taper before the big race. It hasn't quite sunk in yet that I'm running a marathon in a month!

seagirl
02-25-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm on week 5 of Couch to 5 K which is run 5min, walk 2, run 4, walk 2, run 5 walk 2, run 4 cool down. I did really well! I can feel myself getting stronger and I actually like it! I've been doing it on the treadmill since it's been cold out and that makes my exercise induced asthma flare up, but I'm hoping to get outside tomorrow.

Some of my pants are too big, and smaller pants are fitting me even though the scale has only moved down a pound or 2. It's very interesting to notice all the changes going on. I haven't purposefully changed my eating, although I can tell I'm craving more protein and am not as hungry in the evenings.

SGeranium
02-25-2012, 02:09 PM
sznn I know what you mean!!!!! I've had a hard time refinding my mojo as well. I've signed up for another 1/2 and while I am dreading it less and less, there isn't any joy ( except when I 'm done with training for the day LOL) . I feel heavy and bored most of the time. Dh and I were chatting about this yesterday and he commented that his running lately has felt more like a job and less like the enjoyable hobby it actually is. I'm hoping that if i continue to put in the time I will find it somewhere, hopefully sooner than later. To that end I'm slugging along slower and feeling heavy than I would like and trying to find inspiration anywhere I can get it. I am definitely relearning patience .......

ncuneo
02-25-2012, 05:10 PM
SG - how often are you and your husband running? When I start feeeling like that it means I'm running too much or too hard. Do you do any kind of cross training? Maybe something that is equal in endurance may interest you. Something like Spinning.

Got my second 20 mile run tomorrow, nervous and excited. Then...taper time! Race is 3 weeks from tomorrow...insane. Haven't really processed my feelings about any of it yet; but as cheesy as it sounds this experience and process had changed me.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the spring coming (sorry I'm west coast so it's pretty much spring here now!)

CherryPie99
02-25-2012, 08:49 PM
ncuneo - sending good vibes that you'll have a great run tomorrow! You are an inspiration, girl!!

Nothing much new on the running front for me. Other then it warmed up enough for me to run outside on Thursday - first time outside since November! I have a friend who is an avid runner who gave me all sorts of dire predictions about how treadmills KILL the ability to run outside and it would be like starting from scratch for me. SO not true! I was immediately back into the groove - no soreness, no breathing issues - it felt so great I ran an extra 1/2 mile before I had to stop. And I had to stop because I was on my lunch hour, otherwise I may have gone further!

ncuneo
02-26-2012, 09:12 AM
What?! Like starting from scratch? Give me a break. Sure running on the treadmill is different than the road, maybe works the muscles a tad differently, there's no change in the surface, hills are man made and so is speed, you can't watch TV if that's your thing, but starting over seriously? Don't worry about that Cherry, obviously you discovered on your own that that was a bunch of bull.

seagirl
02-26-2012, 09:25 AM
ncuneo - sending good vibes that you'll have a great run tomorrow! You are an inspiration, girl!!

Nothing much new on the running front for me. Other then it warmed up enough for me to run outside on Thursday - first time outside since November! I have a friend who is an avid runner who gave me all sorts of dire predictions about how treadmills KILL the ability to run outside and it would be like starting from scratch for me. SO not true! I was immediately back into the groove - no soreness, no breathing issues - it felt so great I ran an extra 1/2 mile before I had to stop. And I had to stop because I was on my lunch hour, otherwise I may have gone further!

What? Yes, it's different, but its not starting from scratch! Your lungs are doing the same work, your legs are moving. yes, you'll have to adjust to wind, hills, etc. but big deal, you'd have to do that anyway if you'd been running outside.

Debating a chilly outside run with a friend today, or gymming it.

sznn
02-26-2012, 03:03 PM
sznn I know what you mean!!!!! I've had a hard time refinding my mojo as well. I've signed up for another 1/2 and while I am dreading it less and less, there isn't any joy ( except when I 'm done with training for the day LOL) . I feel heavy and bored most of the time. Dh and I were chatting about this yesterday and he commented that his running lately has felt more like a job and less like the enjoyable hobby it actually is. I'm hoping that if i continue to put in the time I will find it somewhere, hopefully sooner than later. To that end I'm slugging along slower and feeling heavy than I would like and trying to find inspiration anywhere I can get it. I am definitely relearning patience .......

SGeranium are you doing the Seattle Rock and Roll again this year?
I didn't sign up because my running has fallen off so badly, I knew it would be a serious struggle. Let me know how the new course is, if that is the race you are doing...next yr is another yr :)

I signed up for the SunRun training as a volunteer leader, it is a learn to run 10K program, well devised to go from couch to 10k. This week is week 7 and I still can't find my running mojo. I have been doing the clinic runs, but very few runs in between. I wog to the gym to do my spin class or bootcamp but that is about it. Hopefully the running bliss will return someday soon.

S

mkroyer
02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
aWW, ncueno-- thanks for the Shout out!

INTHEBOX-->
Is the Relay a trail run? Most relays like that are... can you give me a little info? Is it a trail race? in the mountains? what time of DAY is your leg (relays go straight through the night!)

If it IS a trail run, its going to level the playing field A LOT with regards to how fast your teamates "average per mile (supposedly)" You guys are not COMPETING? you are only COMPLETING...... and they wanted you for a reason, so keep that in mind. In any case if they are running 8 min miles on the road, that is NO INDICATION of how fast they can run if it is a trail relay... And if thats the case you need to approach your training from a different angle than if its a road race

PaintedButterfly
02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Hey seagirl I see you're on week 5 now? I had to take a week off due to illness so I'm also on week 5 now. Have you done run 3 yet? I'm nervous but excited about it. It just seems like such a jump to 20 mins continuous running from the two 8 min intervals I just did :?:. Anyway I'm doing day 3 tomorrow eep!

seagirl
02-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Hey seagirl I see you're on week 5 now? I had to take a week off due to illness so I'm also on week 5 now. Have you done run 3 yet? I'm nervous but excited about it. It just seems like such a jump to 20 mins continuous running from the two 8 min intervals I just did :?:. Anyway I'm doing day 3 tomorrow eep!

I'm doing "ease into 5K" which is slightly different, our 20 minute runs start next week I think.

Yesterdays run was supposed to be Run/Walk 6/1/4/1/6/1/4. I barely made it though the first run due to what my friend calls "dead legs." Like, I couldn't get my right quad to cooperate at all! I finally slowed to a walk, upped the incline to 5 and just walked the rest of the time. I stretched a lot yesterday. I rested today and am going to try it again tomorrow.

One of my friends started running and just runs straight through for a mile or 2 or 3. And she was literally going from the couch. So, I think I'll be fine. It's mostly my head that freaks out, and thankfully I have a meditation practice so I know how to calm myself when I start to think "I can't do this!" since that's what I also think sometimes when I set my meditation timer for 15 minutes. I just say "settle" to calm myself down and stick with it.

devadiva
02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Ran 6.2 on Wed and had no new problems but decided torun a short 3 miler on Fri before the race and got pain on top of knee so BAILED on the race on Sat my friend was looking for a way out so was glad I decided against. I have run 3.5 on Sun and again yesterday still having pain on inside of knee BUT no more on top.....
Yesterday was a great run...the cool morning storm blowing through the Sierras to the one side of me and the Inyos on the other and as I have said before I run on dirt raods out in the alfalpa -cow fields it is calve season so lots of babies,hawks above..and many flocks of birds that I can hear along with the cows mooing even above my TUNES rocking out in my ears ITS GREAT to be alive and able to run!!!!!

fromthebox
02-28-2012, 05:52 PM
aWW, ncueno-- thanks for the Shout out!

INTHEBOX-->
Is the Relay a trail run? Most relays like that are... can you give me a little info? Is it a trail race? in the mountains? what time of DAY is your leg (relays go straight through the night!)
It's a road race in the mountains. So kind of a mixed bag. My leg is likely at 4am if we have the same start time as they have in previous years. It is 6.7 mi from the summit down (about 1,500 vertical foot descent) If you want to look it up I am Leg 16 of the Baker to Vegas Police relay. www.bakervegas.com/

If it IS a trail run, its going to level the playing field A LOT with regards to how fast your teamates "average per mile (supposedly)" You guys are not COMPETING? you are only COMPLETING...... and they wanted you for a reason, so keep that in mind. In any case if they are running 8 min miles on the road, that is NO INDICATION of how fast they can run if it is a trail relay... And if that's the case you need to approach your training from a different angle than if its a road race

They ran 8:15 miles in the race two years ago. We are not competing with our teammates but with the other teams. I haven't been before so I don't know how competitive it is. They took me because I was proactive and the only person who popped up and said "I want to do this." So I got a spot. They didn't even ask me my times until recently and I've always known they wouldn't be as good as the guys, just didn't realize it'd be that big a difference.

SGeranium
02-29-2012, 01:10 AM
SZNN: not the r n r this year. I'm doing a trail half in mid May. DH is doing the full 50 ultra enchilada the same day. This event was his dad and step mom's favoritist ultra. Should be a fun. Most of our family is in WI where the race is, so it will definitely be cool for them to be able to show up and cheer us on!! I got all excited about the r n r this year then I saw the price. YIKES!!!!!!
ncuneo : Thank you so much for your thoughts. DH and I were coming at this from opposite ends. His running IS really a second job, he is planning on 2 50 milers this year and is hoping to get in a 100 miler. ( see addictive time consuming hobby) I feel heavy and slow because I am. I started running less and spinning/ class more because of an injury and I was better at spinning. I just need to be patient with myself and get over where I was and be glad for where I am now. Logical but challenging for me

In completely unrelated news I started a month of hot yoga and after a couple of classes my hamstring/ achilles tightness is much reduced. That's a positive for sure as I had a pretty good run today : looser/ lighter legs, my first B+ of the year

Good running ladies I am grateful for your enthusiasm.

devadiva
02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
IN THE BOX on you Baker to vegas run!

I lived in the Death Valley area for 18 years and am familer with this race...not the course...you sure did not pick aneasy easy section to do UPSIDE you picked a GREAT time of the day!!! It can stat being quite warm even at that time of the year so will do great just condition your self and you will do GREAT!!!
And by the way I SNOOPED and YOU LOOK GREAT in your before and after pictures YOU SHOULD BE VERY PROUD and what a great way to CELEBRATE!!:carrot:

ncuneo
02-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Good stuff ladies! Well my second 20 miler went well, a smidge better than the first, but not good enough to make me feel warm and fuzzy about the actual distance. However, good enough to make me know that I will be able to finish. I feel like I'm well prepared, got all my fuel, hydrating, pacing elements pretty dialed in and I'm ready to go out there and have a good time!

5 miler later today, snoozed too much this morning and then we'll start a new thread for March! Bring it!

devadiva
03-01-2012, 09:39 AM
Good stuff ladies! Well my second 20 miler went well, a smidge better than the first, but not good enough to make me feel warm and fuzzy about the actual distance. However, good enough to make me know that I will be able to finish. I feel like I'm well prepared, got all my fuel, hydrating, pacing elements pretty dialed in and I'm ready to go out there and have a good time!

5 miler later today, snoozed too much this morning and then we'll start a new thread for March! Bring it!

Good WORK!!! and thanks for keeping the thread for us!
As for me exercise class on Tues and work and Wed had Jury duty off to work this am and exercise class tonite will run early on Fri before Jury duty...They posponed us we had to go back after sitting there half the day,but at least I did not have to miss work.