General chatter - What are you reading February 2012?

alinnell
02-01-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm still on the first part of 1Q84 and am really enjoying it.

konfyoozed
02-01-2012, 12:56 PM
diana gabaldon's outlander series. i've heard great things.

Alicia87
02-02-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm always reading several at once. I put the Outlander series on my wishlist on my nook. Have heard a lot about it and will have to try it. I swear there is not enough time in the day to read. I have over 100 books on my wishlist and i have a few already downloaded and a whole stack of paper books...if I could sit all day and just read I'd be a very happy girl lol :)

Reading Lie with Me - Stephanie Tyler, I Beat the Odds - Michael Oher, From This Moment On - Bella Andre, and The Vow by Kim & Krickitt Carpenter. Sounds funny but what I'm in the mood for tends to change, hence why I have so many books going at once ;)

Smiling_Sara
02-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I have started reading miss invisible by Laura Jensen walker. About a plus size girl falling in love. Only 22 pages in and I'm enjoying it.

CrystalZ10
02-03-2012, 12:06 AM
I have started reading miss invisible by Laura Jensen walker. About a plus size girl falling in love. Only 22 pages in and I'm enjoying it.

That one sounds good.

I finished the first two Hunger Games and waiting to buy The MockingJay so no spoilers!! lol I love the books so far!!

juliana77
02-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Just finished Water for Elephants, loved it! Reading one for work called How to Deal With People You Can't Stand at the moment.

Weeram
02-03-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm reading "My Life as I See IT" written by my dad. He only made 50 copies but am so honored to have his book and have that special insight into his life as a rural farmer and then a pioneer of Alaska. We all have our story and his was amazing.

alinnell
02-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm reading "My Life as I See IT" written by my dad. He only made 50 copies but am so honored to have his book and have that special insight into his life as a rural farmer and then a pioneer of Alaska. We all have our story and his was amazing.

That is so cool!!!

Sunshine73
02-03-2012, 10:58 AM
I just finished 'The Name of the Star' by Maureen Johnson and 'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green. Both were amazing reads for different reasons. Now I'm on the hunt for something new but so far nothing has really caught my eye. Hmm...

ANOther
02-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Double Booked for Death

smad11
02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
I've read the Outlander series and it is definitely good... I found it a bit slow in the middle... but I've found that to be pretty typical of book series that have more than 4 books.

I just recently read 'The sisters brothers" - it was different and I really enjoyed it :)

ICUwishing
02-03-2012, 02:59 PM
NurtureShock, by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman. Interesting data summaries that debunk some of the common ideas about what kids need. It was recommended by DS12's headmistress. The first 3 chapters (praise, sleep, and race relations) have been very enlightening!

SmallSteps
02-04-2012, 02:15 PM
100 days of weight loss
life is hard food is easy
The ultimate weight loss solution
Self Matters
Hungry Girl 300 recipes under 300 calories

konfyoozed
02-08-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm always reading several at once. I put the Outlander series on my wishlist on my nook. Have heard a lot about it and will have to try it. I swear there is not enough time in the day to read. I have over 100 books on my wishlist and i have a few already downloaded and a whole stack of paper books...if I could sit all day and just read I'd be a very happy girl lol :)

Reading Lie with Me - Stephanie Tyler, I Beat the Odds - Michael Oher, From This Moment On - Bella Andre, and The Vow by Kim & Krickitt Carpenter. Sounds funny but what I'm in the mood for tends to change, hence why I have so many books going at once ;)

the 7 books of the outlander series add up to about 8000 pages (in paper back). if you only have time to read a little at a time, they would keep you occupied for a while. i work from home, when there's work to do, but most of the time is free time. my husband looked at them and said "that'll keep you entertained for a couple weeks" heh.

i'm such a nerd. i'm looking at the first book all eager to open it up and get started... but i also love that anticipation before starting a new book, especially the first book in a series. i almost cried when i read the last book in stephen king's 'dark tower' series, because i wanted to keep reading about the characters!

Glory87
02-09-2012, 02:30 AM
I just finished Death Comes to Pemberly and it absolutely sucked. I'm now reading Jane Lynch's Happy Accidents and I'm enjoying it.

Precious Little
02-09-2012, 05:49 AM
The End of Overeating by David Kessler
Rules of Engagement by Ann Bruce (ebook)

alinnell
02-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I just finished Death Comes to Pemberly and it absolutely sucked. I'm now reading Jane Lynch's Happy Accidents and I'm enjoying it.

Glad to know that. That's one that was on my "should I buy it?" list.

I'm half-way through 1Q84 and I was pretty excited about it and now, not so much. I'll still finish it, but it's getting really weird.

I've also downloaded the new Lisa Gardner book as well as a couple others I had on pre-order, so I'll be busy reading.

CanadianCutie
02-14-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm reading The Book of Negroes by Laurence Hill. The US title of the book is Someone Knows My Name. It has had me hooked since the first page.

Learning 2 Live
02-14-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm reading:

1. Be Happy without being Perfect
2. You Can Heal Your Life

rachaelm
02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I just finished The Princess Bride. Loved it, but then I loved the movie first.

alinnell
02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
I just finished The Princess Bride. Loved it, but then I loved the movie first.

That's my next book!

konfyoozed
02-14-2012, 05:42 PM
i'm halfway through the first outlander book and i have a hard time putting it down when it's time to go to sleep... i hope the rest are as interesting!

aleksandra
02-16-2012, 08:14 AM
I'm reading Eternal Treblinka: our treatment of animals and the holocaust.
two thumbs up! ;)

tessendicott
02-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I generally read 4 and 5 books at a time, at the moment I am reading:
The Hunger Games (for the 2nd time around, Ive read the first book several times, but not the second and third).
The Water Wars (almost done, will probably finish today and it's been excellent so far)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Neverending Story
The Time Traveler's Wife (2nd time)
The Night Strangers

Smiling_Sara
02-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Just started Diary of a Mad Fat Girl. (http://www.amazon.com/Diary-Mad-Girl-Stephanie-McAfee/dp/0451236491/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329442770&sr=8-1)

It's pretty funny so far.

Alicia87
02-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Currently read a few books...
I Beat The Odds - Michael Oher
Learning - Karen Kingsbury
The Strawberry Shortcake Murder - Joanna Fluke
Lie to Me - Stephanie Tyler

chickadee32
02-16-2012, 11:55 PM
I'm reading "1 Dead in Attic: After Katrina" by Chris Rose, and "The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic - and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World". I'm about in the middle of both, and both are very good.

Chele615
02-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Just finished reading "Secret Daughter" by Shilipi Somaya Gowda.

Starting "Save Me" by Lisa Scottoline this weekend and also have "The Murderer's Daughters" by Randy Susan Meyers and "Night Road" by Kristin Hannan to read.

NurseMichelle
02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
I just wanted to say I LOVE THIS THREAD. Love it, love it, love it. I put most of your suggestions on my Nook wishlist. :)

I am currently reading the new Sophie Kinsella novel and it is laugh out loud funny....so similar to the Shopaholic books and really cute.

I read the Last Breath by Michael (something?) and it was good, but way drawn out. Like it could have been written in half the time, but the suspense was good.

I read the Hunger Games (and liked them in DESCENDING order btw) and took your suggestions to try the Long Walk, which I LOVED but the ending was AWFUL. A wonderful journey (maybe a little repetetive?) but an abrupt and unsatisfying end.

I had a bday last week and got a TON $$$$$$ barnes n noble gift cards and lots downloaded.....

vixxi
02-18-2012, 07:43 PM
I just finished reading "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave, loved it! I wish I had more time to read but I'm nose deep in textbooks!

MissKoo
02-18-2012, 09:37 PM
I don't usually go crazy for the latest "diet" book but this book was fascinating. The way our society has scientifically changed the very DNA of the foods we eat has affected our health more than anyone could have thought.

After reading this book - twice - I have been wheat-free for two weeks. I am a low-sugar, low-carb type anyway. Most of my nighttime cravings are GONE. Amazing.

If anyone else has read, or plans to read, Wheat Belly, I would love to hear what you think of it!

shanhat81
02-18-2012, 10:30 PM
A Place of Greater Safety by Hilary Mantel. LOVE

leighrabun
02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
I have found Janet Evanovich now if you realy want a good time....She the one you need!!!!!

Angie
02-19-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks to this thread I haven't checked in for several months! I got hooked on the Game of Thrones series and haven't looked up since.

Now I need something new...I love long epic series, so any recommendations would be appreciated; just not crazy about anything spooky or scary. I loved the Outlander series; and Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth might be my favourite book ever, and the follow up World Without End is pretty fantastic too.

Mandy -- The Outlander series is one of my favourites. When you've finished it try the series by Sarah Donati, she writes very much like Diana Gabaldon and she references characters from the Outlander series in her books.

Glory87
02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
I read the Hunger Games (and liked them in DESCENDING order btw) and took your suggestions to try the Long Walk, which I LOVED but the ending was AWFUL. A wonderful journey (maybe a little repetetive?) but an abrupt and unsatisfying end.

Well, that's Stephen King for you. He is great with the build-up but rarely sticks the landing.

I have to say though, I love the ending of the Long Walk. Now, I only read the first book of Hunger Games but compare the Long Walk to those books. The guy at the end of Long Walk LOST HIS MIND. He endured terrible things, saw his competitors killed all around him and he went crazy. Compare that to the Hunger Games where no one seems to care that children are dying. I was so aggravated by the first book of the Hunger Games, I couldn't even continue.

What I've read lately:

The Devil All the Time (http://www.amazon.com/Devil-All-Time-Donald-Pollock/dp/038553504X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329755507&sr=1-1) - some very twisted stuff
The Fault in Our Stars (http://www.amazon.com/Fault-Our-Stars-John-Green/dp/0525478817/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329755478&sr=1-1) - the author knew what buttons to push
Lamb (http://www.amazon.com/Bonnie-Nadzam/e/B004VP84X0/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1329755446&sr=1-2) - good, but disturbing
Never Wave Goodbye (http://www.amazon.com/Never-Wave-Goodbye-Novel-Suspense/dp/B0048ELE9K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329755416&sr=8-1) - talk about a terrible ending! Great beginnng though.

Glory87
02-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Now I need something new...I love long epic series, so any recommendations would be appreciated; just not crazy about anything spooky or scary. I loved the Outlander series; and Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth might be my favourite book ever, and the follow up World Without End is pretty fantastic too.

Have you read:

Shogun
Lonesome Dove
The Far Pavilions

These are pretty much classics of the "Pillars of the Earth" type sweeping story. Lonesome Dove is in my top 10 books of all time.

You might also check out:

Tigana
A Song for Arbonne
Maia

these are fantasy books, but they are beautifully written and wonderful!

konfyoozed
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks to this thread I haven't checked in for several months! I got hooked on the Game of Thrones series and haven't looked up since.

Mandy -- The Outlander series is one of my favourites. When you've finished it try the series by Sarah Donati, she writes very much like Diana Gabaldon and she references characters from the Outlander series in her books.

i will have to check it out... i'll write it down. i'm just about finished with the first book and am so excited to read more about claire and jamie's adventures :)

i love the Scots historical books... it's why I loved reading Karen Marie Moning's "Highlander" series (it's also about time travel!) and then the following Fever series (which I have not yet started) which is supposed to be more focused on the Faerie characters.

i really like the dark hunter/dream hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. personally i love greek mythology which makes that so much more fun. there are at least 15 books, probably more, with lots of the same characters reoccurring and developing in the process. each story has a romance at it's heart, but they are fun to read (most of them, i've ran into a few that were a bit over the top)... her characters all have a very sarcastic sense of humor which appeals to me.

another series i enjoyed so much i made my husband read it was stephen king's "dark tower" series. 7 books, and really not very scary. there are some parts in there that are a bit horrific in nature, but mostly it's a combination of sci-fi, western, romance, etc. it's got everything.

i like the anita blake books by anita hamilton, but they can be a bit scary... however her merry gentry books aren't nearly as creepy... though they have their moments.

if you like humor and vampires, lynsay sands and karrelyn sparks both have written some fun light reading in the argeneau series, and 'love at stake' respectively.

i love series too... they just make me sad when they end! especially the dark tower series, i felt like i got to know the characters so well i wanted to keep reading about them!

ANOther
02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
About halfway through rereading Night Music by Harrison Gradwell Slater

guynna
02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
I"m in book two of Howard Fast's _Immigrant_ series -- sweeping : )

Joannavan
02-22-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't usually go crazy for the latest "diet" book but this book was fascinating. The way our society has scientifically changed the very DNA of the foods we eat has affected our health more than anyone could have thought.

After reading this book - twice - I have been wheat-free for two weeks. I am a low-sugar, low-carb type anyway. Most of my nighttime cravings are GONE. Amazing.

If anyone else has read, or plans to read, Wheat Belly, I would love to hear what you think of it!

Read it, loved it, everything finally made sense and I've incorporated it into my lifestyle. I feel like a different person giving up whole wheat!

Melissa Dawn
02-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Tonight I'll be finishing a book written from someone's journals from when they traveled Europe in 1983 not realizing what was all going on around her.

I think I'm going to re-read Half A$$ed. I love the book and I've read all the archives in her blog.

konfyoozed
02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
starting 'dragonfly in amber' book 2 of the outlander series :)

sheramama
02-25-2012, 11:55 PM
This month I read:
Beautiful Chaos- Kami Garcia
Chasing Rainbows-Kathleen Long
Unearthly-Cynthia Hand

Now, I'm reading: The Hangman's Daughter-Oliver Potzsch

mimsyborogoves
02-26-2012, 12:10 AM
I was reading the Zombie Survival Guide but I'm losing interest... I think I'm gonna check out Impulse by Ellen Hopkins. Anyone else read it?

sheramama
02-27-2012, 12:41 AM
I was reading the Zombie Survival Guide but I'm losing interest... I think I'm gonna check out Impulse by Ellen Hopkins. Anyone else read it?

I read ALL of her books, even the new Adult "Triangles". She writes the entire book in prose, so if you can get past that, then you are golden. I am a huge fan for her story telling and her poetry. I didn't like impulse as much as much as Crank, but it was still good.

CanadianCutie
02-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I finished The Book of Negroes this morning, excellent novel. I am starting The Fault in Our Stars by John Green once I finish up on the computer (in about 5 minutes). Been looking forward to this book for months.

pluckypear
02-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Great thread. I love to read, it is one of my greatest pleasures. I love to read for pleasure and for research.

I am reading Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

I have been reading a lot of short listed awards Canadiana books.

I recognize some of the books mentioned above.

I am waiting to borrow IQ 84.

I did not like The Time Traveller's Wife, book or movie.

I am a Stephen King fan. I am waiting for the newest tower series book to arrive.

alinnell
02-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Okay, I finished 1Q84 and am not impressed. I think the author set it up for a sequel, but it just wasn't that wonderful. An easy read, though, despite it's size.

Then I jumped into a short book by Lisa Gardner. It took less than an hour to read. And it was kind of dumb--I usually like her stories. I have her newest book downloaded, but decided to wait on that and read The Princess Bride. I'm just in the new intro that the author wrote for the 25th anniversary of the movie.

NurseMichelle
02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
I just finished reading Tricks and I think Ellen Hopkins might become my new favorite author....I could NOT put that book down.

Read Exposed by Kimberly Marcus in one day, it was a good fast read.

Currently reading Miss Invisible by Laura Jensen Walker. It's good so far but I feel like it's one of those books I have already read a million times. I am enjoying it though.

Next up....Tuesdays with Morrie or Sleeping with Famous Men. I have all kinds of stuff cued up on my Nook.

Anyone want to exchange Nook addresses and be Nook friends to lend books?

sheramama
02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
NurseMichelle: Ellen Hopkins is one of my fav authors...I read everything by her. Def read her newest, "Triangles." I already lent it to four different people and they all love it. I wish I could lend books, but I have a Kindle!

KRinOttawa
02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Just started The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and am completely hooked. Next up after that is The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker.

thistoo
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM

I'm just reading it now after a little over a month of being completely grain-free and losing weight faster than I've ever managed, and it all makes SO MUCH SENSE now. I originally did the Whole 30 just to jump-start my low carb diet, but I had no idea what a difference taking gluten out of my diet would make.

The book puts everything I'm experiencing into perspective. It's been really educational. I'm also reading The Paleo Solution, but Wheat Belly is wonderful.

As for The Hunger Games, I read the first one and it was okay, but seven chapters into book two and I just don't care about her love life anymore.