40-Somethings - 40-Something February Chat. We LOVE newcomers!

patchworkpenguin
01-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Just starting a new thread for Feburary! :dance:

Sparx
02-01-2012, 06:44 AM
Hi
I can't believe its February already! It was minus one here this morning but after a relaxed day food and exercise wise for my birthday yesterday, I wrapped up warm this morning and walked 6k :carrot:
Thanks patch and andrew for the c25k link I am deffo gonna give it a go :D

andrew80k
02-01-2012, 08:47 AM
Wow! February. Less than 11 months until Christmas. :D Yesterday was utterly off the hook for me. I got home from work in time to go to a spinal health class at a local chiropractor. I got something out of the class but I didn't get my workout in. :( I ate right at maintenance too. :( Back on the hook today though. I gotta keep in mind this is a marathon and not a sprint and to take these things in stride.

Patch Thanks for starting the new thread.

Kandy Your protein drink sounds fine. I wouldn't worry about and just keep on doing what you're doing for a little while longer if you are still not seeing any results, post what you're eating and maybe the collective can help. Getting into running when you've never done it can be a challenge, take it easy. The one thing you don't want to do is hurt yourself.

Sparx Anytime. There are some girls on the running thread in the exercise forum that are getting it done. You can post for specific advice there too.

Welcome to the new folks. Glad to have you here. You've come to the right place.

tbmmom
02-01-2012, 10:28 AM
Good morning all! I am back after being MIA for two years. Here is my story. I went through a terrible divorce, and then re-married five years ago. My husband and I looooove food. He was my first crush when I was 12 years old. We dated here and there in high school, but were mostly great friends. I ran into him after not seeing him for over 20 years and our friendship continued and then a spark turned into a flame. We married in January of 2007. On January 14th of this year, he suffered a heart attack, and after testing, we learned that he had five blockages, which required open heart surgery to bypass. Ironically, a week before this all happened, we had agreed that we were going to get healthier...eat better and excercise more. Well, I guess had to wallop us in the head and force it to really happen. Anyway, I have lost 15 pounds since January 1st. My husband has lost 26 pounds since the 14th. Now that the initial fears and stress have come of a simmer for me, I am ready to add some excercise to my new diet. It was the scare of my life to think I might be losing my best friend. This time next year we are going to be new and improved.

memoree
02-01-2012, 10:44 AM
I'm not really new as in I registered awhile back but I have never been active on the forum.
I'm 43 years old, married to the love of my life, have 2 children (14 and 4).
I have diabetes type 2 and have for the past 15 years. I did HCG (which I can't recommend as it was not a healthy diet but I did lose 25 pounds. However, as soon as I got off of it...I gained that back plus 10 pounds!

I am going to try a low carb diet so any tips, please do share. I hate exercise but know I MUST do it. So I will start out with 30 min for 3 days a week and see how that goes.
I hope to meet new friends along the way.

cldwv
02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
Back after a destructive break. Heavier now than I was when I first joined here. I'm 43, about to turn 44, recent hysterectomy (which I believe contributed to my extra fast weight gain over the past year).

memoree - I'm going the low/slow carb route too so maybe we can help each other out staying focused. The hardest thing for me is giving up my wine! It's the only real treat/pleasure I allow myself so it's hard to give it up. With slow carb you're allowed :-)

I'm allowing my body to adjust to the no carbs for a week or so before I jump on the treadmill. Currently having terrible headaches and also, the heat flashes are a b***h right now.

Sauteed up some garlic, mushrooms, and chicken for lunch (sprinkled with a little parm). Brought some string cheese to work for an emergency.

Two of my low carb tricks that really get me through are pumpkin seeds and homemade parmesan chips.

guacamole
02-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Welcome and welcome back to everyone! Patch, thanks for starting this new thread! Busy day today, but I am starting to feel a bit more in control. I did 30 minutes on the elliptical again today - which means that I have been logging my calories and exercising Mon, Tues, and Weds so far! I haven't exercised 3 days in a row for years.

I am also interested in the Couch2k program. I've been looking at the website here and there for at least 1 year, but never had the gumption to try it. Might be something to look into once the weather warms up a bit. For now, I am proud of my elliptical progress! 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week, is my initial goal. If I do more some days, great. Also, I might replace an elliptical session with a walk if the weather permits. I have got to start losing weight again!!

patchworkpenguin
02-01-2012, 03:10 PM
TBM, that was a big scare! I'm glad you are both doing well. Congrats on the weight you have both lost!

Guac, good job on the workouts.

cldwv, glad to have you back.

Memoree, welcome glad to have you join us.

Andrew, I'm still wondering what happened to January. I thought it was just me because I was sick for most of the month.

Sparx, minus 1? Ack, I wouldn't survive!

Just got home from Bible study and lunch at Panera's. I wore my new smaller sized jeans today. Have some chores to do, then kickboxing; I also need to think of something to make for dinner.

NEMom
02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Thought I stop in to check in real quick. Scale is still maintaining at the same number for the last couple of months. Still trying to feel good about being able to maintain.

I cannot believe it is February either, time goes by so quick.

From reading through the posts it looks like there are several new comers and everyone is doing well. YEAH!!!
One of the posters asked if I was in LINCOLN? Yes, I was born and raised here. I work at UNL and for the past 10 years have lived in Bennet (small town outside Lincoln, past the So. Walmart and Menards). Do you live in Lincoln too??
Have a bootcamp class this evening, then gotta fold some laundry. My life is just to darn exciting sometimes.

Happy hump day all. Keep up the GREAT work.

Vex
02-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Glad it's February for sure - leap year! January seemed super slow to me.

NEMom - yep, outside of Lincoln in Eagle. I'm at that menards all the time. I swear it's my Saturday date night, going to the hardware store. I work down the street at LBL.

patchworkpenguin
02-01-2012, 08:50 PM
The past few days I've had a few problems with Chicks running slowly, Hubby checked and our WiFi was very slow so he put in a faster WiFi card and the computer is much faster and works a lot better now. I have no idea how it helped but its great. I had changed to Firefox but wasn't very happy with it, but now I'm back to IE.

Vex, I didn't realize it was a leap year!

NE, I seem to be able to maintain well, but I'm trying to lose. :dizzy:

Gi Jovine
02-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Soy nueva en el chat y aun no he visto nadie latino tengo 3semanas en ideal protein y he bajado 15 libras :carrot:

andrew80k
02-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Did good yesterday. Ate clean, ran 5k in 33.5 minutes. ~1800 calories in, ~3200 out. I'm a little light yesterday in calories since I wasn't feeling well I went to bed early and didn't get my last snack in. I'm down another pound today though at 239. Yay! First time I've been that low in 2 or 3 years. So I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing.

NEMom I lived in Omaha for 4 years back in the mid-90's. Went to school for a year at UNO. I used to go to the ball games there in Lincoln. It was fun. I enjoyed it.

Welcome (and Bienvenida to Gi) to the newcomers.

NEMom
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM
My food was the WORST it has been in ages yesterday. I had a friend invite me to lunch and so I ate more than normal and hubby made pizza last night for dinner. I totally wrenched my knee at boot camp class last night, I exercised lightly this morning but will not be able to finish my last boot camp class tonight.

I have one confession to make. I am a smoker and have decided that I REALLY need to quit. Started this morning. Since I am more in maintenance mode and am adding extra exercise, I am hoping that I will off set any gain from quitting. I really need to do it to complete my healthier lifestyle transformation. So, if I am cranky, ya all know why.

Hope you all have a great Thursday.

cldwv
02-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Work was awful yesterday so I ate virtually nothing because of nerves. I know that's a no-no. Having a luncheon today so there probably won't be much I can eat. I special ordered a chef salad and crossing my fingers it's good (can be iffy sometimes depending on where it was ordered).

Anybody else doing low carb having horrible headaches? It's been constant for three days.

Zumbachica
02-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Hello everyone...I'm here trying to get the last ten to 15 lbs off and it has not been easy!
YES CLDW, I am currently doing low carb and I have had a headache and a shakey feeling. It may be the body's way of saying it needs potassium...so drink a cup of salty chicken broth and you should feel a bit better.

patchworkpenguin
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Hubby was hogging the computer last night so I didn't get to post.

Wed, Feb 1
B= 1/2 coffee, 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk
L= 1/2 Panera Smokehouse Turkey sand
S= 1 apple
D= leftover chicken w Apple-mango sauce, green beans
S= chips and salsa
E= 30min kbox + 20min UB

We had a luncheon today at Bible study, so I wasn't in control of what I ate, but I think I did ok.

Gi, welcome,glad to have you join us, but I can't understand you.

Andrew, yay on the loss! glad you are doing so well.

NE, congratulations on making the choice to quit smoking! Good for you.

Cldwv, hope you feel better soon.

Chica, interesting about the chicken broth.

guacamole
02-02-2012, 03:48 PM
Hello, everyone! I hope you all know that each and everyone of you who posts here keeps me going. I feel like I have buddies in the trenches!

Although the week started out horrible, I managed to pick myself up and have been eating clean and exercising every day, despite my evil monthly visitor! :o

Quick NSV - A few years back, when I was over 200lbs, I was at a thrift store and saw this amazing leather jacket on sale (size Large) - real leather, soft, in great shape. I tried it on and couldn't even close it, but for the price, I figured I would buy it as an incentive to lose weight. Well, it has been sitting in my coat closet for years, and I almost forgot about it. It's a pretty mild day today, so I went looking in my closet for a lighter coat, and saw the leather jacket. I tried it on, and it fits! I can button it and everything! I still feel like it looks a bit too snug on me, so maybe I am jumping the gun and am being one of "those" women who call themselves a size 4 because they squeezed themselves into a 4 for two seconds in a dressing room, but heck, I wore it and it felt good!

Worked out for 48 minutes on the elliptical today, and made asparagus and orange peppers in olive oil, garlic and ginger to go with dinner tonight. I also made an awesome vegetarian chili that is slow cooking in the crockpot right now, but I stole a cup!

The chili is made with onions, garlic, butternut squash - cubed, kale - chopped, swiss chard - sliced/ribboned, 2 cans of black beans and 1 can of red beans (rinsed), 1 can of tomatoes with chilis, 1 jalapeno pepper diced, 1 roasted poblano pepper diced, 2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, sprinkle of pepper. It also called for 3 teaspoons of lime juice, but I didn't have any.

Anyway, low fat and tasty! I am really enjoying spicing up ordinarily bland vegetable with hot things. Haven't tried curry yet (but I want to), but the chili peppers are getting a workout - I have been making more spicy guacamole too!

cldwv
02-02-2012, 06:32 PM
YES CLDW, I am currently doing low carb and I have had a headache and a shakey feeling. It may be the body's way of saying it needs potassium...so drink a cup of salty chicken broth and you should feel a bit better.Good tip! I think I may even have some potassium supplements at home. Had a pretty decent chef salad for lunch and the headache sort of just faded away.

Sparx
02-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Hi everyone, its still below 0 here brrrr but once again wrapped up warm and headed out for a walk, I managed 6k with a couple of bursts of jogging :carrot: eating on plan and feeling soooo much better carrying less weight around already!
I enjoy reading all your posts and it is definately giving me the inspiration to stay on track :D
Nemom - I think you are doing great maintaining and I hope your knee feels better soon
Guacamole - Nice one with the jacket, I hope you were grinning from ear to ear wearing it :D
Andrew - Good work with your loss :D
Patch - I can't wait for winter to be over in the UK !!
Everyone else - keep up your good work :D

mom2sweetT
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Hi- I'm new here and after a week on medifast have decided to do calorie counting. After my foot heals from today's surgery I'll be excited to start exercising again!

memoree
02-03-2012, 10:46 AM
Monday wasn't a great day, I ate everything in site!! Doing low carb/low calorie and it has been great the rest of the week. I noticed when I eat protein for breakfast, it makes the rest of my day much easier. (Hardly any carb cravings! yeah!)

Glad everyone is doing great!

As far as headaches on low carb. I don't really get them with low carbing (when I say low carb, I mean I eat nothing white) So far I havent had the headaches or cramps that I got when I did no carbs.

andrew80k
02-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Still going strong. 1700 calories in versus 3100 calories out yesterday. Light again since I forgot to eat my last snack again. I've been tired and I'm so glad it's Friday. Did upper body last night and pushed myself pretty hard. I think I'm getting a touch of tendonitis in my right arm at the base of my bicep. That's not going to work for me. Right now it's just an annoyance.

My 9 year old daughter has a project at school that she has to do a bunch of stuff over the course of the next few weeks to learn about nutrition and exercise. One of those things is work out for a week with someone and keep a log of it. She started with me last night. I had her on the treadmill for 20 minutes at pretty low speed but she did great. She also has to keep a food journal for 3 days and indicate her good nutrition choices.

It's good to see all of you still sticking with it.

NEMom
02-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Glad its Friday even though it will be a very busy weekend. I have to work my pt job all weekend and after a very mild winter they are perdicting lots of snow. It is in the 40's and raining but is suppose to start snowing tonight and keep it up all weekend. We have gotten off easy this winter but since I have to drive in it all weekend, I am not thrilled.
Did not get to do my final bootcamp last night because of my knee but I did get up again this morning and did a light work out. Since I have to stand on my feet all weekend, I don't want to risk injuring it more.
Made it through one day of no smoking, working on day two.

PP-Good job eating the best you could when you were not in control of the food. That is a victory in itself. And look you got in extra exercise, good for you.

Guac- Love those NSV. I too am wearing a blazer today that when I bought it years ago was too tight but now its almost too big. Keep it up girl!

Sparx-Keep up the exercise, you are rocking it. I have to adimit that if it was that cold here, I would not be as brave as you. Too cold.

Mom2-Ouch, hope foot surgery goes well. Make sure you give it time to heal before exercising too much. Calorie counting really can/does work. This is what I have done. Good luck to you.

memoree- Ya know, we can't be perfect 100% of the time but good for you for getting back on plan and having a successful week.

Andrew-You commitment to diet and exercise continues to inspire me. I tired a jogging program last summer and got tendinitis in both knees, it hurt so bad I could hardly work and took three weeks to get better so I am a little gun shy to try jogging again. Don't let it get too bad, listen to your body. I think it is a great project your daughter is working on. She will learn a ton from you.

Hope you all have wonderful, on plan weekends!

cldwv
02-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Hey everybody, happy Friday! Had a string cheese, 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, and a jumbo cup of ginger herbal tea for breakfast. I'm not really hungry. Thinking about slow-cooking a roast beef tomorrow with roasted cauliflower (instead of potatoes). You all are doing so great and I'm really jealous about your exercise routines. My carb headaches and jitters are slowly subsiding so my plan is to hit the treadmill starting next week.

cldwv
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Great work NEMom! Not an easy task but you sound like a really strong person so I have a feeling you can do it!

andrew80k
02-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Andrew-You commitment to diet and exercise continues to inspire me. I tired a jogging program last summer and got tendinitis in both knees, it hurt so bad I could hardly work and took three weeks to get better so I am a little gun shy to try jogging again. Don't let it get too bad, listen to your body. I think it is a great project your daughter is working on. She will learn a ton from you.

Thanks. I'm hoping since I don't do upper body again until Tuesday that it will go away. My DW has bad knees so doesn't jog anymore either. I also wanted to comment on your commitment to quit smoking. I think that's awesome! Your whole body will thank you.

This is great! Keep at it. You will never regret quitting. I quit 13 years ago and have never looked back.

guacamole
02-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Hello, everyone! Went for a 30 minute walk outside today, and it felt great! It was muddy outside, so I was walking gingerly and probably didn't burn as much as on the elliptical, but it felt good to get outside.

I bought a dress today at T.J. Maxx (size 14) for an event this weekend. It's a Calvin Klein cotton shift...very cute. In the dressing room it looked awesome. I figured it would look even better at home, tried on with some, ahem - Spanx! So, I tried the ensemble on at home. OMG! It looks awful! It looks so tight and there are bulges everywhere! I can't believe I thought it looked so good in the dressing room! They must use fun house mirrors at that store! I decided to keep the dress and see how it looks 10 lbs from now. What a disappointment. I'll be pulling something out of my closet for the event - which is what I should have done in the first place.

Great job on the no smoking commitment NEMom!

cldwv
02-03-2012, 03:45 PM
I bought a dress today at T.J. Maxx (size 14) for an event this weekend. It's a Calvin Klein cotton shift...very cute. In the dressing room it looked awesome. I figured it would look even better at home, tried on with some, ahem - Spanx! So, I tried the ensemble on at home. OMG! It looks awful! It looks so tight and there are bulges everywhere! I can't believe I thought it looked so good in the dressing room! They must use fun house mirrors at that store! I decided to keep the dress and see how it looks 10 lbs from now. What a disappointment. I'll be pulling something out of my closet for the event - which is what I should have done in the first place.
!Isn't that the most frustrating thing in the world!! I HATE dressing room mirrors. Speaking of Spanx... They are QVC's daily special. Three pairs for under $70!

memoree
02-03-2012, 08:54 PM
NEMom: Congrats on day 1 of no smoking! I quit 10 years ago. It's the second most hardest thing I ever did :) (Losing weight is my first :)

patchworkpenguin
02-04-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm behind again...

Feb 2, Thurs
B= 1/2 c milk, 1 c cereal 1/2 banana
L= Fellowship Luncheon ~ 1 pimento cheese, 2 pumpkin bars {I asked for recipe!
D= huge bowl homemade chili, 2 homemade cornbread
S= 2 cookies, slice cinnamon cake, 4 Bliss :o
E= 25min Classical Stretch~ Arms and posture

Fri, Feb 3
B= none
L= Panera 1/2 smokehouse Turkey, 1/2 sweet potato
S= chips and salsa
D= 1/2 homemade veggie pizza {sauce, moz cheese, spinach, mushrooms, onion, pepper, garlic, romamo cheese}
S= 1 c milk, 6-8 Back to Nature cc chookies
E= 50min cardio

I had a very lazy day today. Tomorrow Hubby and Dad are going to a Men's Breakfast at Dad's church, then Hubby will come back and get me so we can caravan to my parents house where Dad and Hubby will work on Dad's project car and Mom and I will do more interesting stuff!

Guac, Ack, sorry about the dress! :?:

NE, great job! Proud of you. Michael Symon {Iron Chef, The Chew} is also giving up smoking, he had a FB page/challenge/support about it if you are interested.

Andrew, your daughter's project sounds wonderful. What a great way to teach kids great habits while they are young. Good thing she has a great dad as a role model.

cldwv, roast beef sounds yummy. I need to stop drooling on the keyboard.

memoree, interesting on protein for breakfast stopping cravings

Mom2, Welcome glad to have you join us.

Sparx, great job getting in your exercise even in the cold.

andrew80k
02-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Yesterday I did good, mostly. 2133 calories in, 3210 out. I'll take it. Ran 5k in 32:55. My best time since starting up again, almost 2 minutes better than my last time. I even ate meat pizza last night. Too much fat, but it was gooooooodddd. :D

I've been looking for my P90X DVD's and I can't find them. I need to rework my weights program. I'm not through NWLR yet and not going to be in the next couple of days.

Have a good weekend everyone.

kandyrews
02-04-2012, 02:31 PM
I've been working out since January 6th, 5x a week for 30 minutes walking with a little running, then lifting weights 2-3 x a week. The running is the hardest thing in the world for me. I get tired easy by both getting out of breath and my muscles tire easy. And I've been keeping my calories under 1350...well for the most part. On occasion, I've gone over a little, but only on occasion and very little. Even though I've kept my calories under 1350, I could do better with the dinners. So far I've lost 4 pounds. I need one more pound to meet my challenge of losing 5 pds by Valentines Day.

NEMom
02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Third day no smoking!
We got a ton of snow here last nite and today. Hubby had to take me into my pt job in his big truck would have never made it in my small car. Food was ok until I ate pizza tonight. Ugh

Kandy.-huge high five on your loss!! Excellent!

Andrew - I ate pizza tonight too. It was good

Have a happy safe weekend all

memoree
02-04-2012, 08:50 PM
I was scared of today because I'm home all day and the weekends are usually when I binge. It's almost 8pm and I'm 50 calories under for the day! I lost 3 pounds this week

patchworkpenguin
02-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Sat, Feb 4
B= 1/2 coffee, 1c cereal, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c milk
L= chili and tortilla chips, 2 Bliss
S= apple and pb
D= leftover spaghetti, slice bread
S= 1 c ice cream, 2 dark choc squares with chile {not my favorite but interesting to try}
E= 40min walk

Mom and I walked for 40min around her neighborhood between rainshowers, while Dad and Hubby worked on the car. The project car is a '68 Mustang that currently doesn't have an engine, I walked out into the garage to see Hubby sitting inside the engine compartment working on something. ;)

Ne, great job on day 3!

guacamole
02-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Hey, everyone! Did so-so with eating for far this weekend. A few gathering that of course revolved around food set me back, but not horribly. I walked for about 20 minutes yesterday. Not sure if I will get any exercise in today, as my day is packed full of errands and activities. I am trying to get a lid on the migraine I woke up with this morning. If you have ever had one, and know what it's like to feel like throwing up from the pain, you will understand! I am doped up on advil and tylenol and now drinking a cup of coffee as caffeine is supposed to help "jolt" a migraine away. I am actually starting to feel a bit better.

House Cat
02-06-2012, 07:31 AM
Not quite sure where this first week of February went, but I have been busy as all get out. I run my own business and some days are just so full I cannot take the time to sit down and post. I was doing great Mon-Friday as usual and then the evening rolled around and the weekend. Why do I keep doing that to myself. I lose and then do not have the resolve to stay on it over the weekend. I think it is the wine....I love to have some wine and then it makes me have those munchies. During weight loss I know we really shouldn't have any of that, I guess I have to make that another decision, but I enjoy it so much! lol

So...here is to another Monday, which I know will be good because Mondays to Fridays at 5 are easy and anything for me, before I undo all the good I have done. *sigh*

cldwv
02-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Hey everybody! This weekend... One of my kids came home from college for the weekend and it was my first test in an uncontrolled environment. I did okay. I used the term "controlled environment" a lot this weekend and it probably got annoying as heck but it's true. I live alone for the most part. Divorced (8 years)-the cause of my initial gain. One kid moved to a larger city for work; one kid lives at college most of the year. I'm able to control what food is in the house and what I cook. It's really pretty awesome. When the kids are home though, all bets are off.

Didn't really break, except I did have wine Saturday and Sunday nights. It's my splurge. I allow it. I love it here and am so happy for you all. The support really helps!

cldwv
02-06-2012, 10:35 AM
I thought it might be fun for everybody to list their current favorite things and the things that help them through a rough patch.

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/cldwv68/favorites.jpg

Pumpkin seeds! When I crave a salty snack they are my go-to.
Stash licorice spice tea. I chug this stuff all day long. It's decaf.
Atkins endulge carmel nut chew bar! I've had Atkins bars that taste like sawdust before so I bought these over the weekend with some reservations. They taste like a Snickers. They are awesome and if I'm craving something sweet will totally hit the spot (2 net carbs).

patchworkpenguin
02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Sun, Feb 5
B= 1/2 coffee 1/2 banana
L= 1 c potato soup + sourcream, 1/2 turkey sandwich, square chile choc
S= 1 c ice cream
S=1/2 banana, 5 choc almonds
L= 1/2 homemade burger, fries + ketchup
S= choc muffin
E= none

Yesterday wasn't a particually good day. I feel like I still have PMS from last month, Hubby only had coffee for breakfast so his acid reflux acted up in the middle of church so we had to leave early, then he napped most of the day when this is the day we were supposed to get out and do stuff, like groc shop and fun stuff for me. So in the end all we got to do was groc shop. He doesn't take very good care of himself, so I see this these as being preventable if he would just bother himself to eat breakfast and watch what he eats.

I did nothing exercisy yesterday. My shins are slightly sore from walkiing the hills in my mom's neighborhood.

Usual suspects of bread and laundry today:dizzy:. The recipe for the bread calls for 1/2 c oil {split between 3 loaves} but I subbed applesauce today, using just enough oil to coat the bowl. Hopefully, the applesauce will work and I don't just have a big mess at the end of the day. I feel better about the applesauce instead of that much oil. I also cut the sugar, too.

I can't remember what I'm supposed to do for exercise today since I changed my rotation,:o, I'll have to check.:o

Guac, hope you feel better

cldwv, I like things that taste like Snickers!

Housecat, weekends are hard and we are off our guard, so its easy to stray.

guacamole
02-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Hello, 3FC friends! I did so-so this weekend. Weekends are always so hard - I guess there is more socializing and a relaxed atmosphere...plus my weekday routine doesn't apply - so my food routine goes out the window too. I would bet that if I would stick with my food routine over the weekend, my weight would be 5-10lbs lower than it is now. I keep trying to remind myself of that.

Took some prescription migraine meds yesterday and it knocked the migraine right out of me! Yeah! I was able to carry on with the rest of my busy Sunday. Another NSV - I found another old jacket in my closet (a size Large fitted brown leather blazer) and it fits!. I think it is safe to say that I have gone down from an XL to a Large. The weird thing is, I keep thinking that a Large won't fit me. I found 2 T-shirts on clearance at Target and bought the XLs because I felt like if they shrink in the wash, they will fit more like a size L. If I buy the L and they shrink, they will fit more like a Medium and be too tight. Once again, I am finding it hard to see how I really look - on Friday I bought a dress that was too small and today I bought some t-shirts that are too large! :dizzy:

Good luck today, everyone!

kandyrews
02-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks NEMom one week I didn't lose any weight, but as long as I've lost something, I am happy. I'm thankful I lost because outside of exercising I'm pretty sendentary. When I go to the store I try to do things like park far away...little things like that, but most of the time, I'm pretty sendentary.

cldwv My go to is nuts and clementines for snacks.

andrew80k
02-07-2012, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure how many calories I had on Sunday, but my guess it was a TON. I had 600 all day up to the super bowl party and basically decided to enjoy the stuff that folks brought. I didn't eat a ton of anything but I had some of everything. (And I had some bourbon, sshhh!, Okay a little more than some). I was not feeling well yesterday. It wasn't even the alcohol since I didn't really have that much. It was the food. I can't eat like that. Anyway, back on the straight and narrow yesterday, though I was a meal short since I slept in. So 1400 calories in, and 3165 calories out. I ran 5k really slow. Took 38.5 minutes to get it in.

You guys are doing great. Almonds are my thing when I have to have something. And I'm out... :(

NEMom
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
Rough weekend. Had pizza on Saturday other than that the food was not terrible. I worked all weekend and we had a lot of snow here over the weekend. Sunday after work I stopped at our town bar, my hubby had entered his chicken chili in there chili contest and won. I stayed and had a few too many watching the games and ended up smoking a couple of cigarettes. Picked myself back up and did not smoke Monday and don't plan on it today either. It's strange because it is harder as the days pass, not easier.
Scale is up a couple of lbs but that is probably mostly water weight since I had the pizza and have eaten saltier food over the weekend.
Hope you are all having a wonderful start to a new week.

andrew80k
02-07-2012, 12:06 PM
NEMom Hang in there. Problem with quitting smoking is there are so many triggers. A lot of folks smoke when they drink, smoke after eating, etc. I remember it was hard for a while, but it does get easier.

cldwv
02-07-2012, 03:16 PM
NEMom Hang in there. Problem with quitting smoking is there are so many triggers. A lot of folks smoke when they drink, smoke after eating, etc. I remember it was hard for a while, but it does get easier.I agree! It's so hard. Hang in there. You're doing great.

Well, I dusted the treadmill off last night and did 20 minutes. I thought I was going to die. How sad is that?! I used to be a runner. I'll stick with it and know it will get easier but man I hate that treadmill!

1of8atmayo
02-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Hello. I'm new here, and not sure where on this site I belong. I am 47, so maybe this is a good start. I started taking 60 mgs of Pred in Nov 2009 for a rare illness of the brain. autoimmune in nature. the meds did more damage than the illness, but I'm still here :-) been off all meds since April 2011. No children, no luck with love, frustrated because I went from 110 lbs to 156...lots of water weight. difficult to walk, stand and exercise is such a challenge. body feels so darn heavy all the time, knees hurt, back and hips hurt, difficult to bend. went on a gluten free diet 10 months ago and lost 15 pounds, but can't seem to lose any more water weight. I'm so sick of complaining to my friends, family and physical therapist where I go 3 times a week. I used to be so active and in good shape, now I'm just in pain and feeling so heavy. been told by a dr in the hospital that for every water weight pound, joints and body feel 4 or 5 fat weight pounds, so I suppose I'm carrying a lot of weight on my small frame of 5'1! I don't look too good either. I feel lonely. but grateful to have a few good friends and family. always worrying about money. can only work a few hours a week. on disability. difficult to live this way. I hate the words, "give it time" as I've given it more than 2 years of my life! enough is enough! thanks for letting me vent! best to everyone.

patchworkpenguin
02-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Sorry I've been MIA. I've been tired and sacked out on the couch for the past few days, just not feeling well. A little snuffly but mostly just tired.

The bread turned out well. It rose faster than it normaly does, which I'm not sure is due to the applesauce but easier on me! Since this is the only bread we {and my dad} eat I'm trying to make it as healthy as possible.

My eating was lousy yesterday and I didn't even keep track, but today was better but I didn't feel like eating much!!! I must be sick!

Tues, Feb 6
B= 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk, 1/2 banana
L= 2 c milk, slice bread with apricot preserves
D= 2 homemade tacos, 1/2 c black beans w cheese
S= 5 bliss, 2 cups choc milk.
E= none

1of8, Welcome glad to have you join us.

andrew80k
02-08-2012, 09:17 AM
I've been doing good the last couple of days. Back on the straight and narrow after going a little off the deep end on Sunday. 1977 Calories in, 3105 out. I rebuilt my workouts over the last couple of days and started the new one last night. It went pretty well since I'm a little sore today. Back on the treadmill tonight, going to try to go hard tonight. I actually slept pretty well last night, surprisingly. Maybe I'm getting enough weight off of me to make a difference, we'll see.

Patch Welcome back. Hope you get to feeling better.
1of8 Welcome.
cldwv Good job on the treadmill. I love mine. I got a commercial version from a physical therapy shop that was upgrading. I'm going to need to do some preventative maintenance on it soon though.

cldwv
02-08-2012, 09:26 AM
So much for my "controlled environment." They are making waffles in the kitchen at work and peer pressuring everybody!

guacamole
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Woke up this morning, and since TOM just about ended, decided to step on the scale. I'm 3 lbs down! For me, that's a big whoosh! One of the things I have been changing up is to consume fewer carbs. Even healthy carbs. I was eating a ton of carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, tomatoes, onions, and also flour tortilla wraps (multi grain or spinach). The last few days I have been sticking mainly to protein and greens for lunch and dinner. I still have my carbs in the morning - Greek yogurt topped with Kashi cereal. Maybe I will cut that out down the line too and replace it with an egg white omelet or something... For now, I will stick to my current changes and keep my breakfast the same - I don't get much dairy in my diet so I am reluctant to cut out the yogurt - and I hate yogurt so I need the cereal to mask it!

Anyway, good luck today everyone with all the healthy lifestyle habits we are trying to create!

NEMom
02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I am not smoking, trying to keep my food and calories under control and exercising. I purchased a Core Strength/Toning DVD set, it has 4 DVDs in it, I did one at lunch. It was a lot of yoga moves and I felt totally uncoordinated but I bet my abs are gonna feel it later. I am going to try each DVD and see which ones I like best. My plan is to do one at least 4 times a week during lunch until the end of Feb when I do a 4 week boot camp.

cldwv-Pat yourself on the back for getting that treadmill out. I am ashamed to admit how long my exercise equipment gathered dust before I got it out and put it to use.

1of8 -Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of support on this forum!!

PP- I hope you feeling better!!

Andrew-So happy you are doing so well this week. Your rockin it dude.

Guac-3lbs off - WHOO HOO!!! I am so happy for you. Maybe I need to start limiting my carbs, I eat a lot of fruit and veggies too.

patchworkpenguin
02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Hubby texted me that his Dad has been taken to the hospital for pain in his arm/shoulder, they think he might have had another stroke, but we haven't heard anything definate. Crave your prayers and well wishes.

ETA: FIL was sent home from the hospital not long ago. As it turned out a new-to-him Dr cut his arthritis meds to see if he really needed them or if they were causing another problem, but apparently FIL doesn't function well without them, which accounts for the pain in his arm/shoulder. At any rate, he's on his way home and it wasn't anything worse like another stroke.

Mom had a bone density test and is fine, I've been having fun with 'my mom is dense' jokes. :dizzy:

NE, glad to hear you are still smoke free! Hope you like the toning workouts. Yoga makes me feel like a klutz too, I"m always falling over.

Guac, great job on the 3 lbs.

cldwv, waffles! yum. I'm not sure I could resisit!

Andrew, hope the workout rebuild works for you.

patchworkpenguin
02-08-2012, 11:38 PM
Feb 8, Wed
B= 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk, 1/2 banana
L=1/2 PB&J, baked chips
S= coffee, 5 Bliss
D= chili, 2 cornbread, 3 choc chip cookies {thanks, Mom!:dizzy:}
S= 1/2 graham cracker, 2 triscuit + cheese whiz, banana
E= 60min cardio

Every been hungry but you couldn't figure out what to eat? My last snack was like that. I tried a few things but ended up eating a banana. Embaressing but true the cheese whiz is made for humans but we buy it for the dog; we squirt it in one of her chewtoys, I think she was mad when I ate some, LOL.

invisiblgrl
02-09-2012, 01:36 AM
Hi I'm new here too. When I split up with my daughters father 13 years ago I really gave up on life and love. I packed on over a hundred pounds and used food as my support system. Over new years eve I got some unexpected "attention" from an old friend and ended my 13 year dry spell. Yay! I was embarrassed about my body but he has had weight problems in the past too and we talked about it for a while. Now I am super motivated and want to look great the next time I see him! Anyway, I lost my job 2 weeks later and I have all this free time while looking for work. I joined a gym and I have been going almost every day, at least 5-6 times a week, doing either classes or elliptical and weights and crunches. lots of crunches. I have completely changed my diet too. I am trying to cut fat and stay around 1200 calories. I also joined a biggest loser contest at the gym and after 2 weeks I am in 3rd place. I am going to win, dammit, and use the $500 prize to buy all new clothes!

andrew80k
02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
Ran 5k in 35:23 last night. A little slow but faster than Monday. I'll go fast on Friday and try to beat my time of 32:30 from last week. A little high on Calories yesterday at 2220, but I was at 3228 calories out so still right at 1000 deficit. And I'm down almost another pound. YAY! I was extremely sore from my workout rebuild, which is a good thing. I ended up taking some ibuprofen to help with that.

Patch Glad FIL was a false alarm. Cheez wiz?? Yuck!
NEMom Awesome job on the not smoking. Keep at it.
Guac Gratz on the loss. You're doing awesome.
Invisiblgrl Welcome. Good luck and keep us posted.

NEMom
02-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Made it through one more day smoke free (sick of hearing about this yet?) My food was good yesterday. I actually went to bed feeling hungry which is okay for me because normally I would have been up, rooting around in the kitchen looking for something to eat. When I weighed this morning my scale was at an all time low and about 1.5lbs lower than yesterday. Don't know what it will bring tomorrow since I can be down one day and up the next. I am just so excited that it is 1lb lower than it has ever been, even if just for today. I have been maintaining within a couple of lbs for the last couple months and I really have not changed much in the last month except I am adding more protein, wonder if this has helped or not???

PP- So happy to hear your FIL in okay, had me scared there for a minute. Good job settling on the banana.

invisiblgrl- Welcome! I am sorry about all your hardships and so happy you have decided to become healthier! My only concern about your plan is the number of calories is low, especially with the amount of exercise you are doing. 1200 is minimum for women. If your weight loss stalls, you may consider upping the calories, especially if you keep up with your exercise schedule.
Andrew-Congrats on your 1lbs loss! You are rocking it and I bet you feel great.

iamritu
02-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi,
Am new here...but am sure on the right group. I am 41...ughhh. Had problems conceiving and hence piled on pounds during infertility treatments, partly due to the drugs and partly due to not paying attention, along with genetics playing its part ( come frm a pear shaped family). Anyways, finally lost 16 kgs ( nearly 35 pounds) around 3-4 years back. And was happy with it all. Then we adopted a darling little girl and life has been just wow!! except tht i got so involved with her, tht forgot all abt exercising and dieting and the weight has come back.
Now tht DD has started playschool, i hv decided to take control once again. started working out since the past 3 weeks. i manage around 40 - 50 mins of treadmill and cross trainer 4 days a week ( at least) > Also am taking care of wht i put in my mouth ( tht is difficult). Not had had a sweet thing for over a month, avoid fried food. Am counting calories, tho not rigidly but eat healthy and strive not to give into hunger pangs or cravings too easily.
so, here i am...hoping to report progress as we go along. I know it is not gng to be easy but then triumph starts with a "try".

GemIAm
02-09-2012, 01:48 PM
I am also new here. Been on ideal Protein since January 14th. Just had my week 4 weigh in and I have lost 18 lbs so far! i am going from feeling hopeless to hopeful!

My daughter & I are going to visit family near Seattle this weekend and go see Cavalia (think Cirque du Soleil with horses). I am a little nervous about how to handle eating while a guest in my sister-in-law's home. I was thinking of bringing some pregrilled chicken and a huge salad (enough for everyone and lots of leftovers for me). Anyone have any tips or hints for surviving a family weekend on a really restrictive eating plan?

Unicorn67
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm pretty new here too although I've been reading for quite a while. Just turned 45 a couple weeks ago so I guess I'm smack dab in the middle of the 40's (how did that happen!)

I've been doing pretty good for the last year but I'm a little stuck right now and realize that I need support to stick with this lifestyle even when not seeing big results.

It's so motivating to see the great things so many of you are doing!

Sparx
02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone, not checked in for a few days as have been sooo busy at work, all is going well eating on plan, just seeing onederland coming closer and closer :D hope you're all well, big big congrats to nemom for staying off the smokes!!

patchworkpenguin
02-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Thurs, Feb 9
B= 1 coffee, 1 c cereal, 1/2 c milk, 1/2 banana
L= Chili's 2 Philly Cheesesteak sliders, mashed potatos/gravy, 1/3 brownie
D= coffee, 2 pancakes, butter/sruyp {hubby made dinner}
S= 1 c cereal, 3/4 c milk
S= 1 mini Resses, 1 Hershey's kiss, 1 Bliss
E= 20min boxing, 50min Classical Stretch

MIL called to tell us FIL is feeling a lot better.

Gem, I think your salad is a good idea.

Unicorn, Welcome glad to have you join us.

NE, glad to hear you are still smoke free! Great job.

Ritu, I have more trouble with my eating also.

Invisibl, Great job on being in 3rd place already!

andrew80k
02-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Yesterday was first lower body workout of the rebuild and OMG! It's been a few years since I've done squats and I went too high on the weight to start. I thought I was being conservative, but I was wrong. I got through it but I hurt. I didn't injure myself, but I'm going to be very sore for the next couple of days. Anyway, ~2000 calories in and ~3000 out, right on plan. DW made some nice beef and barley soup last night. It was quite tasty.

NEMom
02-10-2012, 03:36 PM
TGIF!!! I am so excited for my weekend to begin because I actually get to have some FUN and not work all weekend. Tonight having dinner with a friend, catching a movie and a couple drinks. Sat. DH and I are having an early Valentines day and going away overnight. I am going to make an effort to stay with clean eating because my scale is actually going down the last couple of days.
I usually exercise 1 hour each morning and for the past three days I have been trying out some dvd's during my lunch, out of the three I have tried, there are two that I really like so far. Two really concentrate on the thigh, leg area, which is where I definitely need to do a ton of work. I am excited to try the 4th video on Monday (me? excited to do an exercise video, never thought I would say that).
Welcome, Welcome to all new comers, so happy you joined us!!
Have a wonderful, on plan weekend all!!!

GemIAm
02-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks PWPenguin! A gal from another thread recommended bringing an entire roast chicken as well as a big cheery salad...sounds like an easy & delicious plan.

I have begun walking 30 minutes at lunch every other day. Yay me! My sister sent me a funny quote yesterday that is worth sharing:
"No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everyone on the couch."

Have a great weekend all!

:coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2:
One for each 5 lbs so far...

patchworkpenguin
02-10-2012, 07:52 PM
I went to see the movie Joyful Noise with a group from my Bible study. It was good, I'm a sucker for a happy ending! The music was fabulous with a mix of styles and genres.

Made my usual pizza tonight

NE, weekends are a cause for much celebration around here, too!!! :dance:

Andrew, when i'm 'walking funny' because of a workout I always want to wear a big sign so people know I'm this way from a workout., and not that I fell because I'm a klutz!

Gem, cute horse! one of yours? I roasted a chicken a few weeks ago and we got 4/5 meals out of it! I was so astonished!

traveling michele
02-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Gem--- I saw that quote on pinterest. So true!

Penguin-- thanks for the movie review. The previews looked great but you never know.

We went out last night to celebrate dd's 17th birthday to Flemings (steakhouse). She wanted to do that in lieu of a party so we took her and three friends. I tried to make mostly good choices but it was all so good! Now I have to be an angel the rest of the weekend. Hopefully going to bikram yoga today which burns tons of calories! Also did the stair stepper for 40 minutes before dinner which had me dripping!!

memoree
02-11-2012, 03:51 PM
so I did great all week. Staying between 1100 and 1300 calories but on Thursday I had 1600 calories and Friday 1800. I got on the scales this morning expecting at least 1 pound loss since I had 2 high days and I had gained 2 pounds!!! (no exercise except for riding my bike 4.5 miles X 2.) I get so discouraged over things like this and it just makes me wanna binge :(

traveling michele
02-11-2012, 07:01 PM
memoree-- please don't get discouraged! Depending on what you ate, it could easily be sodium. If so, flush it out and it will be gone in a few days. Or could be TOM? So many things are possible. Binging will not help!

pluckypear
02-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Hello everyone I am enjoying reading your posts. I have dieted all my life and am in fact addicted to dieting or was, I am on/off the wagon? :) I am keeping track using points from WW although it is just a way to track. I do journal food. I plan on going to aquafitness twice a week and to walk at least half an hour a day on the other days. This is a new beginning. I want to eat clean food most of the time and to love life all of the time.
I will weigh in on Wednesday.

memoree
02-12-2012, 10:39 AM
thanks Michelle. I cleaned house (as in Spring cleaned although it's not Spring, we have 8 inches of snow on the ground :) It kept me busy so I wouldn't think about the gain.
I had fertility treatments and gained 50 pounds that I haven't gotten off since I gained it in 2006. I will lose about 20 pounds around Spring/Summer and regain it during the winter. I do it every year.I never had weight problem til I moved North and I'm diabetic. I just get so frustrated.

patchworkpenguin
02-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Hubby and I watched Forks over Knives over the weekend and after some talk,;) , made the decision to give the Plant Strong way of eating a try. This is majority veggies but with some meat, eggs, dairy etc.

Fri, Feb 10
Brunch = 2 Chili's Phillycheasesteak sliders
D= 1/2 veggie pizza
S= ice cream?
E= none

Sat Feb 11
B= coffee, 1 egg/veggie fritatta, 1/2 pancake, maple syrurp
S= ice cream
L= 1/2 Panara Thai chicken salad
D= 1/2 potato/onion/rosemary tart
S= baked apple {yum-o}
E=none

Sun Feb 2
B= 1/2 coffee, 1 bread/apricot jam
L=1 c lentil, mush, garlic soup, 2 c salad {carrots, craisins, olives, dressing}
D=1 openface black bean burger {good taste, weird texture}, chips/salsa
S= 4 Triscuit, herb brie, kalamata olive
S= strawberries, banana, whipped cream
E=none

TOM is about to start but I feel like I'm still PMSing from last month!

Michele, there was a little 'language' in the movie but overall pretty clean.

Pear, welcome, glad to have you join us.

Memoree, I have to keep reminding myself that I really will be warmer if I get up and move around than sitting still, huddled under blankets, on the couch!

andrew80k
02-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Decent weekend eating wise. I had a few girl scout cookies, but only a few. :) I didn't get any workout in at all, and yesterday I did stuff but was mostly sedentary. I hurt so bad over the weekend. I'm finally better today so will be back on the treadmill tonight. I'm down another pound, so I'm making progress. Finally got DW headed in the right direction and she's down 5 pounds in 2 weeks as well. Now she's sick though. Always a challenge.

GemIAm
02-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Had an AWESOME visit with my SIL and one of her best friends. Took my 12 yr old over to the Seattle area and saw Cavalia ("an Equestrian Ballet" - dreamchild of one of the founders of Cirque du Soliel)...it was breathtaking! It was so beautiful and overwhelming I sat there with my mouth hanging open and forgot to clap! :hyper:

PWPenguin - Yes, the horse in my avatar pic is my darling draft-cross mare "Secret" (a 15.3 hh, 1400 lb "secret" which always makes me laugh). I am going riding for the first time since early December this evening and I can't wait! Bad weather, a shoulder injury and 20 excess pounds have kept me unmotivated for two months, but not anymore! :):halffull:

Taking a salad & roast chicken to my SIL's worked like a charm...I stayed on my eating plan (Ideal Protein), drank seltzer water when the other adults were having wine, and had my "chocolate soy puffs" while everyone else was pigging on buttered popcorn at Cavalia. For an added bonus, we took a beautiful 3 mile walk around Lake Tapps.

:comp: Happy Monday all...time for work!

NEMom
02-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Had a GREAT weekend. Hubby and I had an overnight trip, first for just the 2 of us in over 12 years and it was so much fun. Made me fall in love with him all over again. Food was pretty good. I am trying to up my protein so ordered a small steak when we ate out. Scale still holding at 155 this morning. Got some protien shakes and tried otu different smoothie recipes last night. The chocolate was definately the kids favorite but I personally like the strawberry/bananna one. Will be fun to experiement a little with them.
Oh yes, just to let you know, I am still smoke free. I think it is day 11 or something close to that today. Have has some tough moments but trying to hang in there.

P&P- TOM is about to start but I feel like I'm still PMSing from last month! - Ha, Ha. I totally feel this way too.

Andrew-Congrats on the 1lb loss! Hope you are feeling better today.

pluckypear- Welcome to the forum! Keep at it, even when you have tough weeks. You can do it.

Memoree-Hang in there, you are doing great! Do you want to come spring clean my house? It needs it.

Happy monday to all~

GemIAm
02-13-2012, 01:58 PM
NEmom: So glad you had a weekend away. My hubby and I schedule those a couple times a year and they are real lifesavers!

Congrats on the no-smoking too. I know it is incredibly hard to quit.

guacamole
02-13-2012, 03:07 PM
NeMom - Glad you had a great time on your trip with hubby! Congrats on the 11 smoke free days! I really love your signature quote, "Weight Loss does not take Perfection. It takes Persistence." This is so inspirational for the times I go off plan or hit a weight loss plateau!

Hello to everyone and welcome new members! It's nice to see so many of us working to get fit in our 40s!

I did ok with eating this weekend. I went to a dinner last night and ate what I felt like eating and stopped when I was full before getting that sick feeling. I planned for the dinner during the day, and saved most of my calories for the evening.

I know I consumed lots of sodium (everything from caterers and restaurants is made with so much salt), so I am not going to weigh myself today, but am drinking lots of water to flush it all out. Having a low cal day today to also make up for last night. I'm not feeling hungry or headachey, though - so I think I am on the right track.

I keep thinking how great I will feel when warm weather comes around and I can wear lighter clothing without feeling self conscious about my fat rolls or cellulite. Whenever I get the urge to enter into my "winter hibernation" munchies, I think of my goal and how much better being thin will feel in the long run than how good the comfort food will taste in the minutes it takes to consume.

Good luck today, everyone! We can do this.

patchworkpenguin
02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Mon Feb 13
B= banana, 1c milk, vits, 1 c cereal
L= 2 slices veggie pizza, chips and salsa
D= Tomato & Lentil soup, few triscuits
S= ice cream, banana
E= 60min cardio

I've been cooking vegatarian meals since Sun night. Hubby came home today, looked in the soup pot, and sheepishly asked 'Can we have meat tomorrow?" Poor Hubby, I think he thought we were never going to eat meat again, LOL, I did offer to defrost some chicken strips or meatballs for him, but after he tasted the soup he was okay. Yay!

NE, great job on still being smoke free! proud of you! :hug:

Guac, you need to bottle that 'long run vs right now' feeling. I could use some! good job on the planning, I wish I was better at that.

Gem, What a beautiful Secret you have! Enjoy your ride! I have to admit I love the look of draft horses, especially the 'feathers' around their hooves, I guess because I'm big boned and oversized too.

Andrew, tell DW we're proud of her 5 lbs too!

andrew80k
02-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Finally feeling back to normal yesterday and got my 5k run in. I did it in 33:21, which isn't bad for early in the week. I'm hoping to get to 31:00 or so by Friday. Ate pretty well, though I did have a few GS cookies. :P I counted it in my calories and I was still at my goal intake of ~2000 so it's all good. To go along with that I had ~3100 out to create a solid deficit. Upper body tonight, though due to last weeks' weirdness, I'm a little off schedule.

I went to a weight loss seminar last night at my chiropractor's. It was interesting to see folks that were having a lot of success. It was based on the MediFast stuff but had an entire program wrapped around it. It's not for me, since I don't subscribe to the Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCD's). They're talking 800-1000 calories a day. It's very similar to the Ideal Protein diet and DW tried that and was almost always hungry. But it was interesting anyway.

NEMom Yay for you. 11 days. You've about got it beat now. Keep it up!!
Guac You are doing great. Slow, steady consistency will get you to your goal.
Patch I'm a meat and potatoes guy, so I know how hubby feels. DW is into protein too though so I don't have to concern myself with it too much. I'll pass on the kind words.

Welcome to Gem, Memoree, and Plucky!

NEMom
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Happy Valentine's Day to all my fabulous 40 something friends!!!

Food was pretty good yesterday. Ate a little too much for dinner, something I do struggle with. Experimented with protein smoothies last night. Need to find a way to add flavor without adding calories though. Made a mixed berry one with frozen berries last night but the flavor was flat. Ideas???
Thank you all for your encouragement on the stopping smoking. I started with patches and nic gum. I ordered more patches but they have not come yet so I have gone two days without a patch but using the gum. Now, when they do come, I do not know if I should put one on or just stick with the gum. Guess I will see how I feel as the days go on, if I feel on the edge, I may just slap a patch on.
Have a good one!!!

guacamole
02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Happy Valentine's Day!

Patch-I love vegetarian meals, but also get the hankering for protein every now and then...

Andrew - Great job on the run! I personally have not found success with commercialized weight loss programs (I have only tried WW and Atkins in the past). I find that I go back to my old ways of eating once I go off program. This time around I am using calorie counting and eating more whole foods and proteins - not shakes or bars or prepackaged food items. I find that it is working for me.

NEmom - You are doing great! If you were able to lose all that weight, for sure you can apply similar techniques to quit smoking and be successful.

Here's to an on-plan day, everyone!

patchworkpenguin
02-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Tues Feb 14 Happy Valentines Day!
B= 1 c cereal, 1c strawberries, 1/2 c milk, vits
L= salad {feta, olives, carrots, red onion, dressing}
S= apple + PB
D= stir-fry { rice, veggies pineapple}
S= choc cupcake
S= chips and beandip
E= 40min cardio, 10min UB, 5min stretch

Hubby brought in 2 cupcakes after dinner! Which probably means I ate back more cals than I burned off!

NE, if you have the patches and you feel they are working you might as well use them!

Guac, since most recently I've been on a higher protein/lower carb diet I didn't think I would last long eating only veg. Hubby is eating protein and we are getting hungry at the same times, also.

Andrew, at least you learned something at the seminar, which is always good.

andrew80k
02-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Well, I did just okay yesterday. It was V-day and I'm not sure what I was expecting to accomplish with 3 girls in my house, but it was not what I planned. I had to stop to pick up my V-day orders after work, so got home late to start with, so I ended up hanging out with them all evening which I enjoyed. I managed to get a few things done, but not my workout. :( I didn't eat terribly despite the occasion and only had a few treats. Still only about 2100 calories in versus about 2600 out. Not quite the deficit I'm hoping to get to every day, but it's something.

Patch Yeah, it's interesting what people will do to get the weight off and I find it fascinating to see some of the remarkable results these folks are getting. A lady had lost 41 pounds and she probably still had 100 or so to go, but the difference in her is already pretty striking.

Guac Me either. I know what works for me and those programs typically are not for me. Despite not having worked on myself in some years, the same things work for me now that worked for me when I was younger. I see no need to change what works. I've lost 16 pounds in six weeks. If I can continue to lose 10-15 in that same time frame throughout my journey I'll be satisfied.

NEMom If it were me, I'd not use the patches unless you were having some serious cravings. You have them to help you get through the tough times if you need them, especially if you are doing okay without them.

carolirish
02-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Hello all. I just came across this forum, I'm 42 and am sooooo sick of trying to lose weight. I was doing really well before Christmas and then Christmas came and a holiday which were both fab but my willpower and the diet went out the window! Today I have managed to pull it together and get back on track so I will be posting here to keep myself motivated. NO MORE SNACKING! It is too hard to stop. I'm doing high protein diet similar to Ideal Protein. I live in Europe so it's a different name but similar guidelines. I have a night away with my husband in April. The first since our beautiful twins were born 2 1/2 years ago. So that will be my first goal, then summer.....Good luck.

patchworkpenguin
02-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Carol, welcome glad to have you join us!

foe3643
02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
NEMom, I am so darn proud of you! We are about the opposite of each other. I quit smoking May 8, 2010. I told my husband that if we got married I would quit smoking. We go married in 2002 it just took me a few more years. I think I've got it beat but there are days when the Nicodemon is HORRIBLE so if you need someone to be a quit buddie you just let me know I'm there. Have you tried looking into the quit smoking forums? They helped me a lot. QNet is the one I use but there are many out there.

As for the weight loss I decided the first of February that I have to lose 50 pounds. Hubby may be getting a job in Seattle (a long ways from our now Kentucky) and I would like to meet new people smoke free and fat free! So I want to lose 50 pounds before we go. While that may not be possible because we don't know if he will get the job and if he does when we will move I have to start sometime. So welcome 3fatchicks here I am....HELP....thanks all.

One question now that Valentines Day is done is there a new challenge for us 40 somethings? Would love to be involved.

NEMom
02-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Happy hump day everyone! Hope you had a nice Valentines day (evening).
My food was pretty good yesterday. Made myself a chocolate flavored protein shake last night, it was yummy and I had enough calories left for the day I did not feel too guilty.
I have been doing exercise videos during lunch. Man, there is one video that I cannot get through all 30 minutes, both times I have to be done at 25 or die. Guess my next goal is to finally make it through all 30 minutes.

Andrew- I am glad that you spent some time with your girls. You will make up the exercise later but time flies with our kids and having the moments are so important.

Carol-WELCOME!!

Foe-Thank you so much for your kind words. Yes, I have tried this before and I am a member of QNet. Some times it can be VERY helpful and sometimes I just cannot be on that site. Thank you for offering your support, I will take you up on that!

Have a nice evening all!!!

patchworkpenguin
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I need to do the rest of the laundry today. Its overcast again. :( I'm planning some cardio and LB.

Dad's Bday is tomorrow so I invited my parents over to the house Saturday to make dinner for them. At Christmas Dad was talking about a meal that his mom used to make called Pasta Fazul, which he had seen in a cooking demo on TV recently so I found a recipe and am making that.

Foe, we are glad to have you with us! Not sure about the new Challenge

GemIAm
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Carol- I can see where you would have self-care challenges with young kids! I have a very dear friend who lives in Hoorn, and I have been lucky enough to visit Holland a few times : )

Foe- I am fairly new here myself! The Seattle area is pretty nice (as far as cities go) - it will be easy to find "healthy lifestyle folks" in Seattle. We live about 90 miles SE of Seattle, smack dab in the middle of the state. There is an Easter challenge listed among the Atkins/IP forum threads, but I haven't seen any others yet.

MY FIRST GOAL (20 lbs lost) was achieved as of weigh in this morning! I am 1/5 of the way to my goal weight!

Happy Wednesday!

One for each 5 lbs that have "left the building!"
:yay::yay::yay::yay:

Mini-Goals:
Started Ideal Protein Diet on 1/14/12 w/ over 100 lbs to lose (278.6).
Goal 1: Lose 20 lbs (258.6) ~ 2/15/12 ~
My Reward: Electrolysis for eyebrows and upper lip!
20% of the way there – YeeHaw!
Goal 2: :bunny: EASTER CHALLENGE ~ Drop 25 lbs (233.6 or better)between 2/15 & Easter (4/8/2012)

auntnelly
02-15-2012, 07:42 PM
I posted in the bio section. I have read alot here about the difficulty loosing weight during this time of life. I am having the same issue.

I am looking for help overcoming the hormonal issues of weight loss.
So here I am, not sure where to start or what to do. Eat less, move more....PLUS, whatever it takes to kick the hormones, I guess :dizzy:

I have done South Beach in the past and like what I have read here, nothing seems to help much any longer plus my food selection is limited due to finances, so purchasing what is needed seems very difficult.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you here and see what you have done to help your bodies loose during this time of life.:smug:

patchworkpenguin
02-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Wed Feb 15
B= 1 coffee, 1 egg/veggie burrito {made with leftover fritatta}
S= cookie, brownie {now the choc cravings show up:o}
L= PBJ
S= banana
D= salad, Tomato/Lentil soup with spa squash, 5 bliss, 1 c milk
S= banana, 1/2 c ice cream, coconut, choc syrup, whip cream
E= 25min cardio, 15m LB, 25min Classical stretch

Gem, congratulations on the 20lbs!

carolirish
02-16-2012, 03:53 AM
Thank you for the welcome!

Hello GEM. Yep, it's busy in my house, I also work teaching art to kindergarten. But being busy can usually stop me snacking when I'm on a good roll. I am also following a diet similar to IP, it's fast weight loss if followed properly. Congratulations losing 20lbs that's FAB! I started back yesterday and had a really good diet day, headaches all day but nothing too major. I was expecting that. Good luck with your next challenge I am working at something similar. In 10 weeks I have a night away with my hubby so am that is a goal, buy a new outfit, maybe a dress. I never wear dresses.

fiona46
02-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Hi all. I'm sitting at the computer for 5 minutes every few days and checking in to keep myself on target. all the advice on here is great and very positive.
I'm keeping up with my 5k walk every day and start a gym program next week. My weight is down almost 5 kilos and i'm really happy with how i feel about myself.

Andrew... I also am not on any shakes. I cut out most dairy, pastas and bread. Eating lots of raw and cooked vegies, plenty of meat and fish, walnuts and eggs. I feel like a new person, and am not hungry either.

andrew80k
02-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Back on track yesterday and got my 5k run in. Did it in 34:00, I think. I had to stop it in the middle and change programs because, apparently, I don't understand how the "random" program works on my treadmill. I was hoping for random speed and instead got random incline. It was really throwing me off. I'll have to work on it some more. Down 1 more pound today. Lowest I've been in about 5 years I think. Starting to actually fit into my clothes. :D Anyway, ~2200 calories in versus ~3200 out yesterday, so right on plan... Upper body tonight! I will get it done!

Fiona Sounds like you are doing great. I'm happy for you. I use Nutrilite shakes once per day, and I eat very little white flour in any form. Mostly whole grains and unprocessed stuff.

Foe I only have one question, Are you a Cats fan? I'm from eastern Kentucky, though now I live in Raleigh.

Gem Congratulations on your progress!

Carol and auntnelly welcome. Feel free to ask questions. There is a LOT of information on this site and most of it is good. Realize that for the most part we are all amateurs at this and take any advice with a grain of salt. The weight loss process is as individual as we are and what works for some will not work for others. Without exception everyone here wants to help you succeed because we are all on the same journey.

swimcoachmomma
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Back after a destructive break. Heavier now than I was when I first joined here. I'm 43, about to turn 44, recent hysterectomy (which I believe contributed to my extra fast weight gain over the past year).

memoree - I'm going the low/slow carb route too so maybe we can help each other out staying focused. The hardest thing for me is giving up my wine! It's the only real treat/pleasure I allow myself so it's hard to give it up. With slow carb you're allowed :-)

I'm allowing my body to adjust to the no carbs for a week or so before I jump on the treadmill. Currently having terrible headaches and also, the heat flashes are a b***h right now.

Sauteed up some garlic, mushrooms, and chicken for lunch (sprinkled with a little parm). Brought some string cheese to work for an emergency.

Two of my low carb tricks that really get me through are pumpkin seeds and homemade parmesan chips.

I am new to this group. I am doing ideal protein and have lost 51 with 19 more to go. scheduled for hysterectomy in a few wks and am nervous about staying on program or at least on track thru recovery. any ideas??

auntnelly
02-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I am new to this group as well. I am not familiar with ideal protein, is it similar to Adkins?

What are your major concerns about staying on track? not feeling well and getting off track, or something else?

kandyrews
02-16-2012, 02:49 PM
So discouraged. This week, once again, I didn't lose any weight. I've been walking/running 5 days a week for 35 minutes, lifting weights twice a week, drinking nothing but water, cut out sugar, and eating below 1350 calories and lost nothing. It's so hard when you work that hard only to lose nothing. The weight just isn't coming off the way it should. I'm losing only 1 pound, sometimes nothing every week. If I have to cut back on eating any more I'll hardly be eating at all. And if I exercise more than I already do, I'll absolutely start to hate it. I feel like it's a lost cause, like what I'm doing just isn't worth it. I mean before I was exercising I wasn't gaining any more weight, so now that I've added exercise I should be losing more. At this rate, I might as well not be exercising if it's doing no good. Sorry everyone, I'm just so discouraged right now.

swimcoachmomma
02-16-2012, 03:15 PM
I am new to this group as well. I am not familiar with ideal protein, is it similar to Adkins?

What are your major concerns about staying on track? not feeling well and getting off track, or something else?

Ideal Protein is a commercial plan that is low carb, low fat and high protein. there is a forum for it on this website. Like Atkins it puts your body into ketosis, so my surgery concerns revolve around getting enough nutrition to heal but not losing my ketosis and the momentum i have worked so hard to achieve.

NEMom
02-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Just checking in. Took a walk during lunch today instead of doing a work out DVD. The sun was out, it was a bit cool but still needed to get out of the office so it was a nice walk.
AuntKelly-Welcome to the forum. I want to assure you of two things: 1) It is possible to lose weight after 40, it may be a little slower to come off but it is possible 2) It is possible to lose weight without spending a lot of money. I know you can do it. You will get a ton of support here.

Carol-I just had a night away with my DH and it was wonderful! I know you will have a great time!

Finoa-Keep up the good work!

Kandy-Do NOT give up. I know it is so frustrating when you work hard but do not see the scale moving. Keep at it, I bet you are feeling so much better with the added exercise and healthy eating.

Andrew-You rock! Congrats on your weight loss.

Swim-Have you posted your concern in the Ideal Protein forum, I bet the members there can give you some good advice. I really hope your surgery goes well. I would definitely consult your doctor about added nutritional requirements after surgery.

Phew, so many new faces. If I missed you, I am sorry. Hope you all have a wonderful Thursday.

P.S. Day 15 of No Smoking and luckily my scale has not gone up. It has not gone down but at least I am not gaining.

swimcoachmomma
02-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Just checking in. Took a walk during lunch today instead of doing a work out DVD. The sun was out, it was a bit cool but still needed to get out of the office so it was a nice walk.
AuntKelly-Welcome to the forum. I want to assure you of two things: 1) It is possible to lose weight after 40, it may be a little slower to come off but it is possible 2) It is possible to lose weight without spending a lot of money. I know you can do it. You will get a ton of support here.

Carol-I just had a night away with my DH and it was wonderful! I know you will have a great time!

Finoa-Keep up the good work!

Kandy-Do NOT give up. I know it is so frustrating when you work hard but do not see the scale moving. Keep at it, I bet you are feeling so much better with the added exercise and healthy eating.

Andrew-You rock! Congrats on your weight loss.

Swim-Have you posted your concern in the Ideal Protein forum, I bet the members there can give you some good advice. I really hope your surgery goes well. I would definitely consult your doctor about added nutritional requirements after surgery.

Phew, so many new faces. If I missed you, I am sorry. Hope you all have a wonderful Thursday.

P.S. Day 15 of No Smoking and luckily my scale has not gone up. It has not gone down but at least I am not gaining.

congrats on the not smoking. I have also posted on the IP forum and am getting good feedback. thanks

GemIAm
02-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the congrats on my first 20 lbs gone! When I got home last night my DH had pulled out all the stops…candles, soft music…an awesome evening! I am a very lucky woman.:val2:

Kandy: Have you tried detox tea? Do you take any Omegas (CLA is very good) or choline/insitol?

swimcoachmomma: Have you considered an alternate IP plan for right after surgery (ex. 2 protein & veg meals and 2 packets a day)…it would be a little more support for your body post-surgery and probably easier to go back to strict IP after a week or two. Talk to your coach about your concerns! Having had a hys myself…do what you need to do in order to heal well!

Carol: Your “date night dress” goal is awesome! In mid-March we are going to Walt Disney World as a family trip to celebrate our 16th wedding anniversary and I hope to be able to purchase a “cute little date night” outfit for myself before we leave! I hope you know that one of the recommendations for headaches is to put a teaspoon or so of sea salt in a glass of warm water and drink it (it really does work). Give it a try!

NEMom: Maintaining weight while quitting smoking is a HUGE win! You go!

My goal for this weekend is to drag my DH out walking at least twice and get in some nice Horse-time with my darling Secret (since we have mud/snow...it will have to be hauling to a local arena). Happy Thursday!

kittyfan
02-16-2012, 05:57 PM
So discouraged. This week, once again, I didn't lose any weight. I've been walking/running 5 days a week for 35 minutes, lifting weights twice a week, drinking nothing but water, cut out sugar, and eating below 1350 calories and lost nothing. It's so hard when you work that hard only to lose nothing. The weight just isn't coming off the way it should. I'm losing only 1 pound, sometimes nothing every week. If I have to cut back on eating any more I'll hardly be eating at all. And if I exercise more than I already do, I'll absolutely start to hate it. I feel like it's a lost cause, like what I'm doing just isn't worth it. I mean before I was exercising I wasn't gaining any more weight, so now that I've added exercise I should be losing more. At this rate, I might as well not be exercising if it's doing no good. Sorry everyone, I'm just so discouraged right now.

Don't get discouraged!! I am your age and have the same issues...I have been dieting for 9 months, and have lost 48 pounds. I too eat the same amount of calories, sometimes a month would go by and I would lose nothing, then the next month 5 or 6 pounds. Believe it or not, when I would plateau I actually up my calories for a day or so, (liking going out to dinner and actually eating dessert), and the following week I will always have a loss!! Remember, slow and steady finishes the race:):carrot:

kandyrews
02-16-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all your encouraging words. I do feel better exercising. I just hope at some point soon, I will see the pounds coming off a little more. I'm not ready to give up yet. Once again, I dragged myself to the dreadmill and did 35 minutes of walking/running. I haven't tried any detox tea before I've tried taking fat loss supplements, but it doesnt help either. What is detox tea?

patchworkpenguin
02-17-2012, 02:13 PM
We had a little adventure last night. I set off our 'glassbreak' alarm when I closed the dryer door {stack w/d about 3 ft away from sensor :rolleyes:}. We got rid of the 'houseline' because we both have cells, we KNOW we called the company to change the numbers but when the company couldn't get the landline they called the police. Bearing in mind its midnight, we stayed up, met the nice police and straightened everything out. April was a good dog and didn't bark at the police, which is always a good thing. Hubby's called the alarm Co so hopefully that won't happen again.

No plans for the weekend except my Parents coming over for Dad's Bday dinner on Sat. Hubby's gotten more interested in exercise so hopefully we can get some workouts in on the weekend days!

Thurs Feb 16
B= 2.5 c milk, vits, 1 c cereal, 1/2 banana
L= Old Venice 1/2 pasta primavera, 1 bread {no oil}
S= chips + salsa + coffee
D= chili + spa squash {I usually like my chili alone but adding the squash was good, made me feel like I was eating a HUGE bowl}
S= 2 pumpkin muffins, coffee
E= 30min cardio + 25min stretch

NEMom
02-17-2012, 03:36 PM
TGIF!!!
Did not have a great day yesterday. My blood sugar was wacky and I was really hungry all day. I stayed away for candy but ate a cheeseburger for dinner. Really wanted fries but opted for cottage cheese instead. I walked a little during lunch yesterday and today I was going to give jogging a shot but it was too cool out. I popped in a DVD and was able to complete all 30minutes of it this time. Legs are feeling the burn.
I am having an EH day today. I usually hate when I hear this but I feel fat today. My scale was up a couple of lbs today (mostly water I know), the pants I wore feel a little tight, etc. Trying to get out of my funk before I dive into a pile of Baker Chocolates.
Hoping all my fabulous 40 friends have a great weekend!

StraitLover
02-17-2012, 03:54 PM

I bet you're not eating enough. You're gaining probably becasue your body is holding on to the calroes becasue you're hitting starvation mode. I've been using myfitnesspal.com to log, and it is a good program. You set up your account, and it calculates the net # of calories you need each day. That figure is with no exercise. If you exercise, you have to eat more. You don't want the net amount to go below 1,200 or whatever it calculates for you if it's higher than 1,200.

On your exercise days, I'm betting you are getting a net of 1,100 calories or even less (1,350 minus what you burn up exercising). You will not lose any weight nor gain any muscle doing that.

auntnelly
02-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Thanks for all your encouraging words. I do feel better exercising. I just hope at some point soon, I will see the pounds coming off a little more. I'm not ready to give up yet. Once again, I dragged myself to the dreadmill and did 35 minutes of walking/running. I haven't tried any detox tea before I've tried taking fat loss supplements, but it doesnt help either. What is detox tea?

Hi, I am new here but I hate to see someone else struggling to loose and doing all the right things. I am struggling, but I am not trying as hard as you are! Just wondering what diet plan are you using? Or is is just the calorie counting?

I am trying to decide what to do about my diet, and wondered what others are doing. I know we each have different issues with weight and what helps address that will be unique to each one.

kandyrews
02-17-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi, I am new here but I hate to see someone else struggling to loose and doing all the right things. I am struggling, but I am not trying as hard as you are! Just wondering what diet plan are you using? Or is is just the calorie counting?

I am trying to decide what to do about my diet, and wondered what others are doing. I know we each have different issues with weight and what helps address that will be unique to each one.

I am calorie counting and eating healthy during the day such as a typical day is: protein shake for breakfast, then a green giant broccoli & cheese sauce for lunch, a clementine for snack and then I eat a regular dinner using portion control. I drink nothing but water and only snack on clementines and almonds.

kandyrews
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I bet you're not eating enough. You're gaining probably becasue your body is holding on to the calroes becasue you're hitting starvation mode. I've been using myfitnesspal.com to log, and it is a good program. You set up your account, and it calculates the net # of calories you need each day. That figure is with no exercise. If you exercise, you have to eat more. You don't want the net amount to go below 1,200 or whatever it calculates for you if it's higher than 1,200.

On your exercise days, I'm betting you are getting a net of 1,100 calories or even less (1,350 minus what you burn up exercising). You will not lose any weight nor gain any muscle doing that.

That is very possible. I try to eat a regular dinner so I get right at 1350 calories. My resting BMR with no exercise...body at rest is 1451. So then I should be eating 1451 a day?

patchworkpenguin
02-17-2012, 09:03 PM

I've tried a lot of different things over the past year but right now I'm eating mostly vegetarian but will eat dairy, meat, eggs, etc, no hard and fast rules, just what sounds good at the time. I've only eaten this way for a week and its TOM so too soon to tell, but I think I've increased my portions since I went veg, maybe too much. :o I try to get about an hour of exercise a day, mostly cardio, but rotating through weights, stretch, kbox, kbells, and walking.

andrew80k
02-18-2012, 09:06 AM
That is very possible. I try to eat a regular dinner so I get right at 1350 calories. My resting BMR with no exercise...body at rest is 1451. So then I should be eating 1451 a day?

Kandy I would offer you a couple of suggestions to try. You can either try upping your calories a little at a time. Maybe 100 per day for a few weeks. Or you can do calorie cycling. Do 3 days at 1350 and one day at maintenance, then 3 days again at 1350 and one day of maintenance. You'll probably have to pick one of the methods and stick with it a while to see how it works. Your resting BMR is 1451? Really? That seems really low. Mine is over 2600 and while I'm bigger than you, probably by a fair amount, that seems like a very low BMR.

andrew80k
02-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Only about 1500 calories yesterday and I didn't get my run in. I have to work this weekend, so I was off yesterday and spent it trying to get a bunch of stuff done that I'm not going to get to accomplish over the weekend. And some of it took MUCH longer than I was hoping. Poor planning on my part, something I have to get better at. All told, I did about 2600 or so calories out which is just resting rate, which is on the low side since I was very active yesterday. I will make up the run tonight and then do lower body tomorrow instead of taking the day off. Down another pound for the week, which is good. Weighed in this morning at 234.4.

patchworkpenguin
02-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Feb 17, Fri
B= coffee, 1 c cereal, .5 c milk
L= salad, 2 egg/veggie burritos, 3 Bliss
D= 1/2 veggie pizza {red onion, sauce, olives, feta, mushrooms}
S= strawberries w choc sauce
E= 60min weights, 42min cardio

Hubby brought home a stomach bug from work, so we had to cancel dinner with my parents tonight and I'm going a little crazy since I haven't left the house since Thursday morning.

Andrew, planning ahead isn't one of my strengths either.

leighrabun
02-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Hellllloooo!!!

No one may rember me I was a fatchick about 6 years ago. I had to get off the wagon to help my hubby after his stroke. Well here I am again...... I am in need of help to get back on the wagon....Someone want to give me a hand up..

I need to know where you get the weight counter. I think that the other site I need is fitday but I am not sure. When I was here before we(the group I talked with) had a plan for the day. I am not sure if any of them around

ty for the help

auntnelly
02-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I am new here, so don't know what people use here, but I use, mydailyplate. You can put in calories and exercise done.

I would be interested to know what sort of plans work for people in our age group as we fight against age-related changes.

andrew80k
02-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Leighrabun Welcome. There are a number of sites out there to help count your calories. I use FatSecret, but others use the one at Livestrong.com, Fitday, and several others. If you have a smart phone you might use one of the ones that have app support on the phone. That way you can scan barcodes to enter your food, and keep track when you are not at a computer.

andrew80k
02-19-2012, 09:37 AM
Back on the straight and narrow yesterday. ~2100 calories in and ~3100 out. I love it when the numbers come out right. I did monthly measurements last night and have lost nearly 3 inches off the belly. Yay!! I can see my toes. I got my 5k run in 33:31. Still struggling starting out. It took almost 10 minutes to get in my groove.

I watched the Cats take down Ol' Miss while running and listening to "How to Win Friends and Influence People" on my ipod. Time management is something else I'm working on. :D

leighrabun
02-19-2012, 01:31 PM
Leighrabun Welcome. There are a number of sites out there to help count your calories. I use FatSecret, but others use the one at Livestrong.com, Fitday, and several others. If you have a smart phone you might use one of the ones that have app support on the phone. That way you can scan barcodes to enter your food, and keep track when you are not at a computer.

TY for the info. Pleeeeessssseee remind me not to listin to some of the so called "betters" in my family:devil:. They had me so messed up the pass few weeks. But yes I am on track only 5 more pounds to go for the mounth.
I peeked at the scales today and almost fell off. Had to get my hubby to comfrim what I saw......:carrot:

Later Leigh:o

patchworkpenguin
02-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Hubby's feeling better but is going to stay home from work tomorrow also. We managed a little fun shopping and went to the grocery store today.

Leigh, welcome, glad to have you rejoin us

Sparx
02-20-2012, 04:05 AM
Hi all, sorry been quiet lately as it was half term school holidays and two of my childrens birthdays so it has been a fun busy week...... well today i reached onederland and I'm grinning from ear to ear, hope you are all feeling good :D

fiona46
02-20-2012, 06:26 AM
Hi peoples. Down to 68kg this week. Thats about 146pounds. have upped the walking distance to 6 1/2 ks most days and start gym program tomorrow. Am hoping the weight will come off quicker this week as it has been way to slow for me. Still holding to the low carb diet but have upped the calorie intake as i wasn't eating enough! I'm still really motivated to lose the weight but wish it wasn't taking so long..moan moan moan.

NEMom
02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Happy Monday all! Did NOT have a good on plan weekend. Ate pizza and indulged in too much alcohol. We had homemade pizza on Sat. and Sunday night I ate out of control. I think I was eating to stay awake but it was still insane. Scale was up two lbs this morning. I am guessing 1lb water and 1lb is a real gain. ICK. Back at it today.

Andrew-Congrats on the 3 inches lost. I think I found them, ha, ha. You are rockin'! So impressed by your commitment to a healthier lifestyle.

Sparx- HUGE HIGH FIVE on reaching wonderland. I remember the feeling of accomplishment when I saw that number too!!

PP-Hope your hubby is feeling better and so glad you got out of the house on Sunday for a little bit.

Finoa-Congrats on your weight loss. Sigh, it does come off so slowly. Ugh. Keep at it your doing great!

andrew80k
02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Well, I didn't do too good yesterday. Too much to do when I got home. I hate working weekends. I didn't get my workout in. :( And I didn't eat that great. Not terrible, but I was a little higher than I like to be and not because I was eating the good stuff. Gotta get a handle on myself again. Run tonight.

NEMom Nothing wrong with going off the plan for a day. Just get a handle on it and go back to it.

traveling michele
02-20-2012, 09:11 PM
Andrew-- I have a question for you. I see that your goal is 8% BF. That seems so low. I was just wondering why you set that goal? Is that a healthy goal for guys?

cldwv
02-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey everybody! Back after an extreme week or more at work. Project submitted. Hopefully back to a more routine schedule. I've missed you all. I'll catch up here, weigh in, and report back later.

Sparx
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi everyone, eating on plan and started jillian michaels 30 day shred today, I'm not gonna lie it killed me!! I'm going to do this tho!! Along side my walking and cycling :carrot:

cldwv
02-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Hi all, sorry been quiet lately as it was half term school holidays and two of my childrens birthdays so it has been a fun busy week...... well today i reached onederland and I'm grinning from ear to ear, hope you are all feeling good :DCongratulations Sparx! 199 is my mini goal too and sometimes I feel like I will never get there. How long did it take to get there?

Sparx
02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi cldwv, it has taken me about 8 weeks, at first the loss was rapid but i have now steadied to between 1 and 3 pounds a week, I am finding that being consistent with exercising is changing my body shape and making me feel so much more energetic. I am deffo in this for a change in life style forever, good luck with your journey you will be in onderland before you know it :D

fyreflie24
02-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Hey! Mind if I jump in? :)

I've struggled with my weight since I was an early teen. Been on here for a while, about 60% through my journey and, of course, it's slowing up, partly because I started working with a nutritionist who upped my calories :) We leave on June 23rd for the beach and I'm trying not to stress about the bathing suit issue! I really need another 30 lbs by then.. .minimum. I started in August after we got back from last year's beach vacation; our first ever. Friends invited us. This year it's just us and few folks we invited.

I started cycling and am training for a long, two day MS event in September. I also enjoy yoga, and an occasional Zumba class. I workout with a trainer once a week.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Sparx
02-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Hi fyreflie, congrats on your great work so far :D

guacamole
02-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Sparx - Congratulations on this great milestone! Getting below 200lbs is such a huge accomplishment...I am so happy for you!

fyreflie24 - Your commitment to fitness is really motivational for me. I need to step things up in that department.

cldwv - I give you so much credit for still "being in the game" despite your hectic work schedule. I went off track so many time when I got bogged down with work, so I really admire your dedication!

I've said it before, but I really want to thank all of you for posting on a regular basis. It really does make me feel that I am not alone in my goals and struggles. :hug:

fiona46
02-21-2012, 05:04 PM
hi all. reaching our mini goals is a super wonderful feeling. i haven't reached mine yet, but exercising heaps and heaps so my body is changing shape nicely. was up at 5am this morning and went 40 min walk, then popped into gym for 30 mins. its amazing how much of a buzz you get
my goal is 57 kilos and i wont weigh in until saturday.....its been 68.7 for 2 weeks !!!!!

patchworkpenguin
02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
Fiona, glad you are doing so well with your workouts!

Guac, I know weightloss can be frusterating. Hang in there. I feel like I'm starting to slip, and I'm struggling to hang on and not give up.

Fyreflie, great name! I'm sure your vacation will be wonderful!

cldwv, glad to have you back

Sparx, congratulations on reaching Onederland!

NE, sorry to hear about the 2 lbs.

We watched Dolphin Tale last night which was just adorable. I did cardio yesterday and cardio/UB today along with cleaning house. I'm not sick yet, knock on pre-fab, while Hubby is back at work today.

TexasAnnie
02-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Just started BFC today. I was so excited when I found this plan! Finally, something I felt that I could actually live with! I feel very optimistic as I really didn't have any issues so far today staying within the guidelines. I think nighttime will be the toughest time since I'm used to snacking on carbs. But, I know I can do this and will be turning to ya'll when I start to doubt myself. My daughter is getting married May 25 and even though I've already ordered my dress, I have no objections to spending the money to get it altered....to a smaller size, of course! (How do you get the great weight loss trackers at the bottom of your posts??)

fyreflie24
02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Hi fyreflie, congrats on your great work so far :D

back at cha'! Onederland is HUGE!!!

Guac: Thanks!!! It's not without it's struggles but I think I'm getting my mojo back!

Lee NZ
02-22-2012, 05:55 AM
Just jumping in if that's ok. I have been reading and lurking but wanted to say hello :)

Have been on track since the beginning of February but progress is really slow this time around. I have struggled for a couple of years and had put on about 13kgs in that time.

Feeling good about being on track and really need to lose weight so that I can fit into my clothes. I had to buy three pairs of pants for work because nothing fits!

This seems to be a very friendly and inspiring site. Thanks for all your encouraging posts and results!!

Lee : )

cldwv
02-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Who ever came up with "onderland" was brilliant! So I weighed in after my busy work week and was down one pound. Sort of disappointing but at least it's in the right direction. Hey Annie, it's under quick links/sig weight tracker.

fyreflie24
02-22-2012, 09:53 AM
Lee: This place has been a total lifesaver for me! Welcome and jump right in :)

andrew80k
02-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Quick check in as I'm swamped. My schedule has been crazy this week and as a result I've already missed one of my workouts. GRRRR!!! Gotta get back in the groove. Still staying on plan and making progress. Welcome to the newcomers. Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well.

tbmmom
02-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi everyone! I haven't checked in. We've been busy, but we have been good! My husband is now down 30 pounds, and I have lost another four. We started walking, now that he is feeling better since his surgery. Good news for him. He is returning to coach baseball today, which will be so wonderful for him. The walls have been closing in on him. While he is not allowed to lift anything (it takes a while for the chest to heal after open heart) he says "I'm allowed to yell at the kids and tell them what to do". So, I have a happier hubby today. I see you all are doing pretty well!!!

my3gr8boyz
02-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi!

I'm new here, too, and just wanted to say hi to my fellow 40-somethings! Weight loss this time around has been very different from when I was in my 20's!!

patchworkpenguin
02-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Still on track with my eating, more or less. I did 30min LB and 30min cardio. :D

My3. welcome glad to have you join us.

traveling michele
02-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi!

I'm new here, too, and just wanted to say hi to my fellow 40-somethings! Weight loss this time around has been very different from when I was in my 20's!!

Welcome and congrats on reaching your goal!
I found 3FC's around the time I was reaching my goal and it has been a god-send.

Please join us in the maintainer's forums too!:carrot::)

andrew80k
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't know how many calories I had yesterday because I ate everything in sight and was looking for more. I don't know what was wrong with me, but I couldn't seem to get a grip on myself. Back to normal today though I'm still a little hungrier than I would have expected especially after yesterday. I'm pouring the water down me in case it's just a little dehydration. I'm not eating anything off plan the rest of the week. I did get my run in last night. 5k in 32:45, which is not my best but I'm getting closer. Lower body tonight.

NEMom
02-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Happy Thursday All! Hope you are having a great week!
My food has been so/so this week. Yesterday was an awful day at work and I snacked more than I should have last night. Nothing totally out of control but probably should have left the peanut butter toast alone.
My weight is staying the same which is ultimately what my goal is, although secretly I would love to see it go down but I am still trying to be happy for maintaining.
Still not smoking. Three weeks today. Yeah!

Welcome to all the newcomers. I love to see all of us in our 40's getting healthy. After all 40 is the new 20 right?

patchworkpenguin
02-23-2012, 03:45 PM
NE, great job on 3 weeks! That's almost a month and if you can go a month you can go forever!

Andrew, we all have days like that! regroup and restart!

After being very discouraged because I feel I've been working so hard but no change, I finally saw a lb drop! :dance: Just the thing to perk me up and keep me motivated. About Time!

andrew80k
02-24-2012, 09:07 AM
Back to normal yesterday. 2100 calories in, 3000 calories out. Lower body last night. I'm going to hurt later. Eating strictly on plan today; run tonight.

NEMom Wow! 3 weeks. You are getting it done. That is so awesome!
PatchP Thanks. And here I was thinking I was immune. :D Congrats on your progress! I know you are happy about that.

Looks like everyone is doing well. Welcome to the newcomers.

GemIAm
02-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Hello All,
Doing pretty well staying on plan (IP). Had my 6week weigh in and I am down another 3.4 lbs! Yaay!

Congrats to everyone on their SVs & NSVs. TGIF!

patchworkpenguin
02-25-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm having a hard time getting on Chicks again. I switched to Firefox on the admins advice then it didn't work yesterday, I kept getting a 'webpage has reset', I tried on IE which worked but was slow. Weird.

I found my lost lb! :( That didn't take long.

Hubby and I are having my parents over for dinner tonight for my Dad's Bday, that is unless someone gets sick again!

defenestrator
02-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi -- wanted to jump in and introduce myself. I have been very slowly losing weight for about two years now, with the bulk of what I've lost happening since last May, when I adopted a one-year-old husky mix puppy and began running him 3-6 miles every day.

I've been above my current weight for about 20 years. I'm 41. I'm plateau-ing right now and getting extra-focused on trying to shake off a couple of pounds and break the stall. I think part of my problem might be psychological -- getting past this point means moving into somewhat uncharted waters. I am just dying to get to 50 lbs lost, though, so I press on.

I've been eating about 1500-2000 calories a day and working out a lot. I'm a midwife and work a crazy schedule so sometimes the good eating or the exercise get dropped for a day or two. Trying to stick to both a little bit more.

patchworkpenguin
02-25-2012, 03:40 PM
I didn't post Friday's workout! I did 45min cardio then I did 50 min weights.
Today I did another 45min cardio

Hubby and I are having my parents over for dinner tonight for my Dad's Bday, that is unless someone gets sick again!

Defenestrator, welcome, glad to have you join us? does your username mean you like to throw things out a window? As I reach back into the depths of my mind....

defenestrator
02-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Before I was a midwife, I studied linguistics. English doesn't have a lot of words like this, where one word is used to describe something so specific. I like the word "defenestrate," so when trying to shed bad habits and make a positive change, why not be a defenestrator?

fiona46
02-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi Peoples
Glad to see u back on track Andrew...you are getting closer and closer to target.
Defenestrator... welcome, u will get such good support on here

weighed myself today...still the same...boo hooo :( :(. Am keeping to plan tho and will stay focused thru this nuisance phase.

fiona46
02-25-2012, 07:56 PM
just worked out i'm not eating enough calories. Goal this week....eat more!!!

mammav
02-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Hello everyone...I am very desperate for an answer to what is sabotaging my weight loss.

I began working very hard to control my eating. NO MATTER WHAT I EAT...lots of fiber in cereal, a protien shake, or half a bananna...my stomach sends me signals I am hungry at work around 9:30am . It's like this little 'ping' in my stomach I can't ignore. I eat cheese wedge..still there...eat clemintine...still there..drink some sugar free iced tea...still there. When I eat a handful of pretzles..it goes away and I can work again. If I start with the pretzles...it would go away immediately. But I am trying to cut out carbs and fat. Then when I come home from work...I have to have FAT. My body craves it. I don't even think about it till I have fat...'oh crap...I am eating cookies...'

What is going on with me...I have no will power to fight off these signals from my body. It's totally on drugs or something. What is good to break these craving spirals:?:?

HELP PLEASE...thanks so much. (185 last year 206 this year...??? next year)

fiona46
02-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Hi Mammay
Welcome

I'm just wandering if you are eating enough at breakfast. 1 bowl of cereal doesn't sound enough...maybe have a piece of fruit as well.
What i do is have a glass of water before i eat which helps heaps and heaps.
Snack time..have a piece of fruit, and a glass of water. Your body sends out hunger pangs when there is not enough water going in...i was often eating all the time..not understanding that what my body was craving was water!!!
Once i addressed that....(over a couple of weeks) my body stopped craving the biscuits, crisps and lovely fatty things i enjoyed so much.
I changed my diet quite considerably too.....cut out the carbs, went to skim milk, stopped my cheese and upped the vegies, salads, and proteins.

Hope this helps hon....lots of very resourceful ppl on here to help you thru the tough times.

defenestrator
02-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I think you might need to be eating a bigger breakfast. Or just accepting that your breakfast is going to happen in two bits -- a bit at home and a bit at work.

If you are trying to limit fat and carbs, try eating some of the breakfasts suggested by the South Beach diet. Eggs are a good morning food. Oatmeal is a nice, low-glycemic index food. Cottage cheese and greek yogurt are also good protein sources without having a lot of fat.

I find that if I'm aiming for an 1800 calorie day I am happiest with about a 600 calorie breakfast, a 400 calorie lunch and an 800 calorie dinner. If I try to skimp on the breakfast, I feel hungry all day.

Here is what I usually have for breakfast:

Steel cut oats with unsweetened applesauce stirred in
Coffee with milk
handful of almonds or celery and peanut butter as mid-morning snack
that adds up to about 600 calories

or
Scrambled eggs with one whole egg and two egg whites
Salsa
Black beans
toast with peanut butter as mid-morning snack
also about 600 calories

Good luck!

TechAlum
02-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Hello All,

I'm not new but I've been gone for a while, and when I did well I posted here a lot and got support, so I'm going to try again, I need help somewhere.

A little background: I've been up and down in weight most of my life until in 2006 I hit an all time high of 265 over the next 2 years I lost 45 lbs and was feeling really good (I was pretty active). Then I started to enter territory I hadn't been to in a while and I stalled. So I decided to take a break and then my DH got diagnosed with cancer and I decided I needed to just maintain over those next 18 mos of treatment, which I did. Then I quit trying all together and slowly 15 lbs have crept back. I've been half heartedly trying to get back on track for the last year but it hasn't been working, so now I've decided that I need to get my but in gear and get moving.

So here are my goals for this week: go back to the gym at least 3 times plus water exercise 2 times. Track what I eat and try to stay with in my pts (I do WW).

Anyway sorry to be so long winded. Glad to read about others on this journey.

traveling michele
02-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Hi Donna.
I do WW too! Love the program. I am lifetime and actually work part-time for them as a receptionist.

Sparx
02-27-2012, 03:49 AM
Hi all just checking in, eating and exercising on plan 2lb down this week, hope you're all doing well :D

andrew80k
02-27-2012, 09:09 AM
Checking in. Let's see, Friday ate on plan and all weekend ate pretty well. Did my 5k run on Friday, but for some reason it was a struggle. I got through it in around 38:31, which is a little slow for me. I did upper body on Saturday and am still a little sore from that. Took yesterday off as normal. Tonight is my run. I'm down 1 more pound too. Yay.

Welcome to the newcomers. Glad you joined us.

cldwv
02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Good morning everybody! Lost momentum last week but still managed to lose a pound. Trying hard to keep my head in the game. I think getting back on my treadmill routine will help with that as it really made me feel like I was accomplishing something. Also, I don't think I'm eating enough and need to make a better effort to plan meals ahead that I can take with me to the office.

Goals for this week: 1) treadmill every night after work, 2) plan/prepare meals ahead that I can take with me so I don't starve myself all day, 3) drop two pounds.

TechAlum
02-27-2012, 11:34 AM
Hello All,

Pretty much stuck to plan yesterday, although I woke up really stiff this morning so I didn't make it to the gym, still planning on at least walking the dogs this afternoon, but hopefully going to the gym too.

Sparx and Andrew - congrats on the losses. :carrot:

FatCat150
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi newbie here and within days of being 40 something...sorta dreading it as I had hopes that well should have happened by now but havent and won't.

Always been on the plus size. I have PCOS, Diabetes and Fybromyalgia. I'm not currently under a drs care for anything mainly cause I lack insurance and to be frank I havent met one yet that I like.

I'm sitting at 250lbs (well it was 249.8 this AM but... might as well round up) my hope is to get down to 150 but I'll be pleased as punch if I can manage to get under 200... I can't honestly remember when I was there last.

Anyway I'm here to learn and to lose. I need all the support I can get cause I dont happen to have any here at home.

Thanks Cat

fyreflie24
02-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Defenestrator... OMG LOVE IT! You speak to my English BA :)

Fiona: Keep it yup girl! I found when I ate all my calories (I was upped to 1600 recently by my nutritionist) at the right times, like just after a workout, I felt so much better! The weight loss is a bit slower, just a bit, but I’m not losing muscle and am able to work out more because I have more energy... Keep it up!

Mammav: I’ll be honest, I personally believe in a balanced diet... so maybe for whatever reason your body is telling you it needs carbs?! So how about some good carbs... pretzels aren’t the worst; there’s also reduced fat Triscuts or wheathins... There are also good fats like nuts. I do a mix of 2 tlbs of raisins, 12 wheat thins or 6 triscuts and something like 6 macadamia nuts... super post workout or morning snack. I found once I figured out what my body needed and supplied it in appropriate quantities (ie not too much LOL!) I felt so much better, had more energy etc... Best of luck!

TechAlum: Wow Donna, you’ve had your hands full! Best of everything with your goals and I look forward to getting to know you (from another Dona... kinda LOL!)

cldwv: I struggle with keeping my head in the game! Best with reaching your goals!

FatCat: That 200 mark is so significant!! This is such a great support network so welcome and best on your journey!

Not a lot going on here. I weigh in with the nutritionist on Thurs; she really doens’t want me on the scale other than in her office which proves to be a challenge some days as I’m used to daily weigh ins. DH and I attended a black tie event on Sat which was fun. I did pretty well foodwise but DH was trying to be sweet and kept brining me wine; I have no clue how much I had! So I’m trying to get back in the saddle hard these next few days. I’ve rediscovered yoga as the practice is much different now 61 lbs lighter, so that’s been exciting, and a tad daunting at times. I just passed the 4 month to the beach trip mark, so I’m trying to use that as a way to get hyperfocused for this last leg of the journey.

Wishing everyone a great week!!

guacamole
02-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Congratulations, Sparx and Andrew! Nice to see new folks and old folks alike! I've been reading and taking in inspiration from everyone. Nice to know we are all in this together.

Sparx
02-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks tech, welcome to all the new posters :D good work Andrew I read your posts and your determination spurs me on!! And thanks guacamole you always have such kind words of encouragement! I look at your ticker and it inspires me to do as well as your doing :D

patchworkpenguin
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Our weekend was nice, we had a nice time with my parents, dinner went well, Mom brought {and left some} cake for Dad and I made dinner. When he was a boy his Mom would make Pasta Fazul, he talked about it recentlly, so I offered to make it for him. It was good, and we had a lot of leftovers which I split between us.

I did 2-30min cardio workouts today.

Welcome, new posters, glad to have you join us!

shoptheinsanity
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
I came across the site again while Googling about my lumpy legs! I'm at the smallest I have been in 16 years and my legs are so lumpy, golf ball lumpy - so gross!

I've also noticed that the more weight I lose the UN-healthier I become which is a real challenge. My good cholesterol is bad, my liver tests are off, chest pains and nodules on my lungs. I wanna give! :?: I just don't understand. Results of some tests say I need to lose weight but when I was 60 lbs heavier the results were fine.

I'm looking forward to getting involved (trying to!) and having conversations with people who understand!

Samantha

andrew80k
02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Stuck to plan like glue yesterday. Gotta see if I can kick my progress up a little. I've been drifting the last week and I'm seeing the slow down from that. I had ~1700 calories in and ~3100 calories out yesterday, so a little bit more of a deficit than I've been getting. I'm going to the beach this weekend and am planning to get a grouper sandwich at one of the seafood joints. I don't know how many calories is in it, but it's a lot. And it is soooooooo gooooooooood. :D Got my 5k run in 36:31 last night. Still a little slow but it just doesn't matter that much how fast I do it as long as I do it. Lower body tonight. Have I mentioned that despite how good for you squats are that I hate them?

Samantha Are you doing any sort of strength training? Weight lifting? What sorts of exercise are you getting?

Nice to see the 40-somethings getting it done. Congratulations to all on their progress and for sticking with us.

NEMom
02-28-2012, 03:12 PM
I have not checked in lately, I have been finding myself veering off path both on food and my commitment to no smoking. Food has not been good and I have gone back to tracking every bite I take. I have not purchased my own cigarettes but this weekend I did find a couple of people willing to bum me some. Enough! I am back in the game, back to boot camp class three nights a week, back to healthy eating and no smoking.

Andrew-Had to giggle about your squat comment. So true!

Have a great Tuesday all!

patchworkpenguin
02-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Hubby and I had an attack of the munchies last night. We ate a good dinner but a few hours later I wanted something crunchy. {I cut back on chocolate but now I want crunchy}. I tried gum and a few other things but the desire persisted, so I thought I'd have a small bowl of cereal with a banana. Hubby thought that was a good idea {except the banana}. But then he went back for a second bowl, so I went back also. As I was pouring the second bowl I KNEW this was a mistake and I would be unhappy but I felt practically 'gleeful' about having more. Pretty soon more was too much and I was 'misera-ful". I don't understand why I do things like this? :o

Andrew, I'd rather do squats than lunges.

NE, sorry to hear that you are struggling. I'm not real thrilled with myself today either.

shoptheinsanity
02-28-2012, 05:30 PM
Andrew80K -- I work out almost daily on a seated elliptical and have to credit that with any weight loss. A bad back limits most anything I do so this was one of my only options. Would love to be able to put pressure on my legs to work on my tukhus!

patchworkpenguin
02-28-2012, 05:49 PM
I did 20min of kbox holding 1 lb handweights to warmup then did 60min of UB, trying to pyramid down though the 3 rounds. Can you tell it was UB day?:dizzy:

cldwv
02-28-2012, 05:51 PM
You guys are awesome. I thought I'd check in here before leaving the office, feeling lazy and blah. I've been shamed into hitting the treadmill. Thanks guys!

defenestrator
02-28-2012, 07:00 PM
FatCat150 -- I also have PCOS, which I think impacts my weight loss efforts. I am looking forward to having a lower BMI and hopefully get rid of some of the PCOS symptoms in the process.

I started getting serious about weight loss around the 250 mark. And even though I have only lost about 15 lbs since then, I am in much, much better shape. I am hoping that the spring and summer can bring bigger losses. We can do this!

GemIAm
02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Just had to share my happiness! I got my signature! Yaay!

andrew80k
02-29-2012, 10:15 AM
After a pretty blah week last week with nearly no self-control, I'm back on track this week. Yesterday 2000 calories in and 3000 out, right on target. Going to have to start watching again though as I've lost enough weight that it's starting to affect my BMR. Not burning as much. I find that I'm not needing as much to eat too, which is good. Did lower body last night. Still not liking the squats... 5k Run tonight.

NEMom Hate that you're struggling. Hang in there. Stick with it.

Patch I hear you. I may like lunges less than squats, too. Good job on the kboxing. I do kenpo sometimes.

Samantha Back issues are the worst. DW struggles with that as well. Not sure what your options are for workouts but you could try some yoga/pilates stuff to help with that. DW loves zumba too. Body weight type exercises may help as well. You might try just walking too.

Gem Signature day is a happy one! Yay!

cldwv That's what we're here for. Good for you!

defenestrator Love the name. I think any sort of health issue affects not only your success, but your attitude towards it. You're doing great. Keep it up. You'll get there.

andrew80k
02-29-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm so bummed. It was free cookie day at Subway. *(Free Cookies? Subway?, I know, right?). I didn't really think about it all that much and got the White Chip Macadamia nut, because it's my favorite. And it was good too. And I was thinking, one cookie's probably not more the 100 calories, no problem. So I went to add it to my food log and it's a whopping 220 Calories!!! Seriously! How much butter is in that thing?!? So now I have to skip one of my snacks. :(

patchworkpenguin
03-01-2012, 12:34 AM
I did 30min of cardio then 45min of LB.

My eating has been okay but not the best its ever been, I feel the food itself is still healthy, but I need to cut back on my portions, I got tired of posting everything every night but am still keeping track in my journal. I feel I need to get back on the straight and narrow, and maybe shake things up a bit to get out of the rut I'm in. Time to put February behind me and March On!

Andrew, those cookies can be sneaky like that!

Gem, glad you got your signature!

Defen, The thought of summer is one of those things thats keeping me going these day. Warm, sunny... Actually todays weather wasn't bad it rained for a while, was warm at almost 80* but was overcast with a few rays of sun.

Off to start a new thread for March!

fiona46
03-01-2012, 06:15 AM
good day today. have eaten almost 1500 cals which is great for me, being on low carb.
exercised for 1hr10mins this morning and another 30mins after work. feeling good.
Hope for a good weightloss this weekend!!

cldwv
03-01-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm so bummed. It was free cookie day at Subway. *(Free Cookies? Subway?, I know, right?). I didn't really think about it all that much and got the White Chip Macadamia nut, because it's my favorite. And it was good too. And I was thinking, one cookie's probably not more the 100 calories, no problem. So I went to add it to my food log and it's a whopping 220 Calories!!! Seriously! How much butter is in that thing?!? So now I have to skip one of my snacks. :( OMG! One cookie 220 calories. Interesting story about Subway. When my son was in college, he worked at Subway for a short period of time. You know how their dressings, mayo, oil, etc are in non-desrcript bottles? At his Subway, they were directed to put regular mayonnaise in the light mayonnaise bottles. Isn't that horrible?!

traveling michele
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
OMG! One cookie 220 calories. Interesting story about Subway. When my son was in college, he worked at Subway for a short period of time. You know how their dressings, mayo, oil, etc are in non-desrcript bottles? At his Subway, they were directed to put regular mayonnaise in the light mayonnaise bottles. Isn't that horrible?!

At least the cookie was good. I know that some of the cookies at Starbucks and Panera are upwards of 450 calories! One cookie will not kill you. That is ridiculous about the Subway though! I often wonder if employees (at Starbucks or other places) are paying attention when I ask for non-fat milk and sugar-free syrups. I sure hope so!

roxannestags
02-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm Roxanne. I was a member here a couple years ago, I had lost 30 pounds and then got hurt and lost track of losing weight. Joined weight watchers recently and came back to 3fc. I pop in over on that board a lot but thought it would be nice to find a board with people my own age as well.

Let's see, I am going to be 41 in April. My goal is to lose 138 more pounds. I work night shift as a psychiatric nurse. I have 4 kids (20, 16, 11 and 11) and 5 pets. 3 cats and 2 beagles.

I tend to be a typically lazy, lazy person. To that end, I got weight watchers active link. I am aiming to get a little more exercise in each day and that should help get me motivated.

For my free time, I LOVE to read (although I am developing eye problems and sometimes that is getting difficult) and I absolutely adore watching Dr. Who.

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Roxanne

roxannestags
02-20-2013, 03:52 PM
I have a funny story to share with you guys for today:

Let's start off with the fact that all 3 of my cats are FIRED!

I went to step on my scale this morning only to find a mouse half underneath it. Yes it was alive!! I have THREE cats in the house and yet there was STILL a mouse in my house! (It was probably one of the cats that actually brought it in. They have a bad habit of bringing them in to "play" with them and then they lose them instead!) So after squealing like someone had shot me, I had to go get a plastic jug, catch the poor thing and take it outside.

Now, I can't get on my scale without getting the heebies that there is a mouse underneath it!!

Roxanne

newleaf123
02-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Welcome, Roxanne!! Too funny about your mouse... you will find a lot of fellow cat lovers among us 40-somethings!!

Somehow, you found an old thread -- this chat is from Feb 2012. Here's the link to Feb 2013. Look forward to seeing you there!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/274822-february-chat.html

ukemama
02-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi there, new Peep stopping by. I've had a lot of non-weight-related issues over the last two years that have made me gain a ton of weight (my story is in the introduction area). I'm finally at a point where I am healthy enough to exercise, which for me is the key for losing weight.

I'm doing a homemade Medifast program because I can't tolerate soy very well. Nugo bars, high protein whey shakes, etc. I found out about Wonderslim products from this site and want to try them.

My goal is to lose at least 60#. I've had two good days on plan. I would love to go six weeks on the eating plan, but I know me though - I will start cheating if I feel deprived. So, I'm going to be good for three full weeks and then have a day with some small treats- wine, a good meal out and maybe a little chocolate. I don't care if the scale goes up a little after that day. That small diversion will be key to getting me through the next three weeks.

Hope everyone stays on plan today and enjoys the day!

2FatCats
02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Ukemama: You stumbled upon 2012's Feb thread. Here is the link to the 2013 version! come on over!
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/40-somethings/274822-february-chat.html