Exercise! - Where are the walkers?

View Full Version : Where are the walkers?

WNYmom
02-26-2003, 08:39 AM
We have to get back to posting.
I have not been doing to good with my walking. I am in a slump again. Don't feel ikd dieting, walking or even cooking for that matter. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone please help me out of this slump.

melekalikimaka
02-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Hey Janine! I'm still here. Thanks for starting this thread again. I was kind of slacking off too last week--too many parties and other stuff going on so I started eating more and not walking enough. Missed 3 days in a row last week--not good. But I've gotten back in the groove and am starting up again.

Maybe you need a change, like a new CD or some music to get you pumped up while on your treadmill. How about treating yourself to a DVD movie while walking? You could break up a 2 hour movie into 2-3 sessions. Just some suggestions. Got any old clothes that you'd like to fit back into? I have a mini-goal pair of jeans that I dug out of my closet, hanging out where I can see it. I know you've come so far, almost at the halfway point to goal. Just take it one day at a time...you'll get that motivation back. We can do this!

DawnStorm
02-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Hard to walk through 2 feet of snow! :lol:

melekalikimaka
03-01-2003, 01:55 AM
I've had a good week walking, just missed Tuesday since it was my 8th wedding anniversary and we went out to dinner. My mother said 'your legs are getting bigger', I think she meant my monstrous calves. Well, maybe they are a little bigger, but let me tell ya, they're a lot more muscular than they were a few months ago. I'll take muscle over flab anyday. :lol: Anyway, unlike those of you freezing your patooties off outdoors, I'm working up a sweat and getting a sunburn on my face and shoulders when I go out in the evening. Boohoo, I know. Lucky I live Hawaii--ya'll should come and visit sometime.

justjane
03-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Well, I don't have to trudge through snow, but it's been pretty soggy here lately in Louisiana. I dont' mind walking in the rain particularly--I can protect my head, but I hate sloshing through puddles and getting feet and legs soaked. So, I've been opting for exercise bike and Curves workouts. I've managed to get there 3 times a week for most of Jan and Feb! Yay me! Also started low-carb, so have shed about 9 pounds this past month. Size 14's are just about too loose and I'm back in the 12's. When the 12's are loose, I'll know I'm getting to where I want to be!
Mel, sounds like you may have to walk for all of us for the next month or so! Poor thing, hiking in Hawaii, what a life :)

Suzanne 3FC
03-01-2003, 04:12 PM
I'd like to join another walking group/challenge. The last one I joined flopped for me because even though I tried hard to walk daily, I had such a high work load that I rarely posted. Things are changing, though.

We're probably all in a slump right now. Maybe getting a new thread together will help pull us out of it :)

LuckyLadyBug
03-01-2003, 11:08 PM
I love walking. Would love to join you to keep me inspired.

I have walked 3 out of the last 4 days. Twice 2 miles and twice only 1 mile....due to the COLD temps here !!!!

Joanne D
03-03-2003, 07:25 PM
Suzanne- I had a little problem reading your reply . I was looking at the piece of chocolate cake someone/you were eating. Now you know my favorite food. And why I need all the motivation I can get.
I was a avid walker up until almost a year ago and that is how long I have been in a slump. I have osteoartritis and the knees are not so good. I was having some pain and slippage in the joints . I just wasn't able to walk like I wanted to. My knees seem better and I do still have pain . But in spite of it I know that I need to get out there and just grit my teeth and do it. Motivation is what I need...I live in Florida. It should be easier than it is to get out and walk. Maybe it is just what some people call "stinking thinking".
I hope I can join you and maybe regain the habit of doing what is needed to lose a few more pounds. I lost 57 with WW. That chapter closed so now I have joined a support group with TOPS. I am within 6 pounds of my previous goal of 150. I know there are other people who say if I could only get to 150 I would not complain. I still feel FAT. I am not happy with my weight.
Whatever you can say to inspire me ,I thank You . If I can inspire you I will........Joanne

flower
03-08-2003, 03:00 PM
Well, I am starting my daily walking again. I have to. It is the only thing that works for me. If I walk, and sweat all those calories, how in the world can I stuff my face full of junk afterwards??? Suzanne-It's been a long time since I posted on a walking threat. Glad to see you are still walking! I am not in Veags anymore so hopefully I can keep it up thru the summer and not quit mid June like years past. So, is anyone gonna make a walking post??? Nah, I won't start it. All my posts turn out to be duds. :)

barbmarie
03-09-2003, 07:11 AM
Room for 1 more??? I walk the halls here at night (I work graveyard shift in a nursing home) with my walkman for 30min each night. I usually listen to a Richard Simmons tape, or just the radio. At home I have one of those gliders, not using it as much as I should, but if anyone starts a challenge, does that count? Lets just DO IT this time!! Good luck all.
Barbara

WNYmom
03-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Always room for more Barbara!!!!!!

I have not been doing good at all this past 2 weeks. I have the winter blahs and just no motivation to walk. I have been watching what I eat so that is still OK. This past week I have been busy getting ready for my youngest's birthday party which is this evening. I still have the livingroom and diningroom to finish cleaning. Everything else is done! Maybe next week I will fell better and have the desire to walk.

Holli's Human
03-09-2003, 11:02 AM
Hi fellow walkers. I have just started back walking as well. I have also been a victim of the winter blahs, but warmer weather is here in Lower ALabama and I am getting out more.

I, as well, walked in the misty rain at dusk yesterday and actually found it quite soothing. I have checked out a Danielle Steele book from the library on tape and will only let myself listen to it when walking and am happily finding that I can't wait to get out and walk today to hear the next part of the story.

Try it, it may help! :idea:

Ok, so I am off to hear what happens as they all travel to the house in St. Tropez. The book cover says it is not all that they expect it to be. I'm very curious to hear this part. So, my walking is about to begin! :cb:

Have a great day everyone!:bravo:
Keep up the good work!

flower
03-09-2003, 12:00 PM
I walked 20 minutes to go get my Sunday newspaper. I will get out again later for a longer walk.

Holli's Human
03-09-2003, 05:25 PM
I just got in from an hour walk and am hot, but feel great!

Walkers rock!

Joanne D
03-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Hello All- I walked for a few hours in the mall ,yesterday. Shopping I guess I can say a good hour should total it. I know I was tired when we got in the car to go home. I am going to try and do better this week than I did last week. I just got to get motivated. Audio tapes are a good idea. I use CD"s a lot. I would never get through any length of time without them.
Bye and stay healthy......Joanne

Suzanne 3FC
03-09-2003, 08:16 PM
I feel the same way, Joanne, I could never do it without a CD. I've tried, and the time seems to stand still. I made a CD of 80s music, I find that works better for me. I included songs I really like and I ONLY listen to it when I'm on the treadmill. When I'm tempted to stop, I'll hear another favorite song begin, and will want to keep going for just one more song. The minutes can add up quickly that way!

I've walked an hour a day 4 days this week.

flower
03-09-2003, 08:49 PM
I walked another 30 minutes today. Fast walk too.

flower
03-10-2003, 01:05 PM
Today's walk was 1 hour 20 minutes. Had to go into town. :)

Holli's Human
03-10-2003, 08:53 PM
I got and walked an hour today. It felt good! I ate too much for dinner, tho. OOPs, I will have to do better with that part!

Joanne D
03-11-2003, 09:21 AM
MOTIVATION...I have to find it. I seem to be so busy lately. That is a excuse,I know. I used to set a time of day to do this for myself. I must get back to that routine. I have osteoarthritis and my knees are bad. I will try to walk through the pain. That used to work. I would have pain for the first half mile and then it would ease up. I turned 70 this weekend and I am trying to convince myself I can get back into my routine.I might not walk as far as I used to ,but, I will try to walk .Today is Dr. appointments. Maybe I can get home in time...Joanne

Joanne D
03-11-2003, 07:06 PM
I walked for an hour(2 1/2 miles) That's a start. Now Hopefully I will do the same tomorrow...Joanne

Joanne D
03-12-2003, 07:24 PM
I walked my 2 1/2 miles..It was real hard today.I had to soak in a hot tub of water tonight... I may use the treadmill tomorrow Bye..Joanne

flower
03-12-2003, 10:42 PM
I mall walked an hour while in the city today. Had to fit excersice in sometime and I knew I wouldn't be home til after dark. I wasn't wearing walking shoes and got a blister. Had to buy a pair of flip flops to get thru my next 5 hours til I got to get home!!!

melekalikimaka
03-13-2003, 03:16 AM
Hey Joanne, happy belated birthday! :gift: Sorry to hear about your arthritis and such but you are an inspiration to me by just getting out there and walking--gritting your teeth and doing it anyway. Way to go. You'll make that goal I'm sure. Congrats on maintaining your loss too.

:wave: Hello everyone. I've been pretty consistent w/walking at least 5 days a week, M-F after work. I get in an hour and 5-10 minutes depending on speed and usually rack up about 3.5 miles. Weight loss has been at a standstill for about a month but I have lost a few inches, so hooray for small miracles.

Keep it up everyone, we can do this if we put our minds to it, just ask Joanne :D .

Will check in tomorrow.

Aloha,
Noelle

Joanne D
03-13-2003, 09:39 AM
HELLO NOELLE.FLOWER AND ALL. I have to say that the maintaining is the hardest part. I want to lose another 17 lbs. The Dr. set a goal weight for me this week. I have been struggling to lose more for sometime. I have now joined a TOPS group for support. My sister is a leader there. I was going to WW but this is easier and the communication among the other members is very good. I am on a lot of medication and that doesn't help. It can be done though. I will try to walk on the treadmill today even though I get really bored on it. T. V. and CD'S help. My tradmill is old. I have worn out one motor and this one sounds like it is ready to blow up...
See you later. Joanne

flower
03-13-2003, 04:17 PM
45 minute walk in the wind today. I might go talk the dog out later if the wind dies down some.

Joanne D
03-13-2003, 08:24 PM
I did 2 miles for 40 min on the treadmil longest 40 min. this week. I had the CD going in the ears and the Tv for the news pictures!!!See ya tomorrow.......Joanne

melekalikimaka
03-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Go Joanne Go :dancer:
Go Flower Go :dancer:

I got in my regular route of 3.5 miles + a little extra by walking my son to school and by doing my business errands on foot. I'm feeling great! Pssst! A little secret, the scales are moving downward finally! I'll update my stats on my regular weigh-in day which is Saturday.

Where are all you other walkers? Let's get out there and do it. :jig:

Belle128
03-14-2003, 12:18 PM
You all are a wonderful inspiration!;)
This morning I walked 3 miles and then another
mile with my DD. March goal: 60 miles

20 miles down, 40 to go.......
Walk On!

Gina Belle
245/195/128

WNYmom
03-14-2003, 03:02 PM
I have not been doing good at all. :stress: I messed up my back somehow and it has been bothering me for the past 2 weeks. I went to the Chiropractor today and I have 3 vert. that are compacted. He was ablt to loosen them up a bit but they are really tight. I have to go back on Monday. He said it should be about 5 or 6 visits to loosen everything up. I did walk for 40 minutes the other day and payed for it later in the day. I feel best when I am in the new LazyBoy and have it reclined. This way the pressure is off my spine.

flower
03-14-2003, 06:29 PM
25 minute walk with the stroller. I picked streets with no sidewalks. Curbs take the fun out of walking! I will get out again tonight if honey is home on time, if not, I walk the stairs!

Joanne D
03-14-2003, 07:27 PM
Janine- Take care of the back first. Walking can be done later
Belle- Good for you ..It is good training for DD too.60 miles a month. I never really looked at it that way.
Meleka- Thanks for the motivation. Keep up your good work.
I walked my regular route. I went 2 1/2 miles. I used to be able to do 4 miles about a couple years ago. I guess like everything else ,I am just slowing down.I am thankful to be able to do that at 70 yrs young..
Bye for now ...Joanne

flower
03-14-2003, 10:58 PM
I walked another 55 minutes. Had to attempt to burn some dinner calories. I had to slow down twice cause I was almost out of breath. I walk faster when it is dark out!

WNYmom
03-15-2003, 08:28 AM
I feel better this morning but then it is only morning. Maybe I can get in a walk today. Will have to see how my back feels as the day goes on. Last night I was in alot of discomfort but that is natural after just having an adjustment when things are so tight. When the Dr. was able to get things to move in my spine it went with quite a crack!!!!!!!! Hope Monday's adjustment goes smoother than Friday's. KWIM!

melekalikimaka
03-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Hello ladies. Janine, sorry to hear about your back. That can't be fun. Hope you feel better with your next adjustment. Your treadmill will still be there or even better yet, have your temps warmed up enough to go walking outside?

Flower, I prefer to walk in the evenings too when it's much cooler. I would like to walk w/my son but my route involves a whole lotta hills. I would take twice as long if I pushed him in a stroller (which I have done)--not to mention he's 4 years old and 40 lbs. Kind of too big to be in the stroller I have, yet too little to walk the whole route. You are doing awesome! Twice a day walking even, woohoo!

Belle I like your idea of 60 miles a month goal. I think I'll try that next month. I normally get out every weekday + 1 weekend day so that should be totally doable for me. Walking outdoors is good family time too.

Joanne you're fabulous. Keep on keeping on.

Yesterday I got my regular route in of 3.5 miles + walked the boy to school. Today I'm getting ready to set out for a quick one around the block. Oh yes, with the little extra walking I've been doing I'm down 3 lbs this week! Yahoo! Have a great weekend all.

WNYmom
03-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Hello ladies. Janine, sorry to hear about your back. That can't be fun. Hope you feel better with your next adjustment. Your treadmill will still be there or even better yet, have your temps warmed up enough to go walking outside?

It is in the mid 40's but I am not walking outside. I have the boys and would have to drag them with me. We have no sidewalks here where I live and the speed limit is to high along with no shoulders so no walking on the local roads. I would have to drive to a trail to walk and I know they are still covered with snow and yuck. DH will not be home till after dark and I am not gonna go then either. That is the reason I got the treadmill to begin with.
As the day has been going on my back is aching more and more. No walking today for me.

Joanne D
03-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Hello Everybody- I walked 2 miles on the treadmill. I don't like the boredom of the treadmill,but , I felt I should do it today. I wasn't up to going the route outside. Weekends are rough with all the traffic . I live 1 1/2 miles from the beach and I usually walk there and back. Everybody else is on their way there too. I have another route around the bayous but once you start you have to finish. Tomorrow I'll try that one. Not as many cars maybe.

Bye....Joanne

flower
03-16-2003, 12:03 AM
well, tonight was suppose to be a nice 1.5 walk with my dads dog. But he wanted to run the entire way. My throat is killing me! :) But I feel good!

melekalikimaka
03-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Hello all. My Sunday walks are usually first thing in the morning instead of the evening. My hubby had to work today so I ended up having to take my son w/me in the stroller. I was not looking forward to it but I really wanted to get out there. I pushed his 40 lbs around my regular route up some hills and back, through a little drizzle and it wasn't as bad as I remember it. I must be in better cardio-shape than I thought. So with that out of the way, I can get on with my day.

++Feeling good so I may just get another walk in this evening.

Have a great Sunday!

~~Noelle

flower
03-16-2003, 05:10 PM
I walked to the park, took 5 laps around the path and walked home for a total of 45 minutes.

Joanne D
03-16-2003, 06:55 PM
Hello All- I went the route to the beach today. Made it in 55 min. I guess it is getting easier. I didn't walk for almost a year. It is amazing how out of shape you can get in that time. ...Joanne

Ruthdee2000
03-16-2003, 09:01 PM
Hi girls... just have to say stepping up my walking time is the only thing that moved my weight down few pounds.... and maybe eating soy-nuts instead of salt snacks.But I have been walking and going to the gym for 3 years and all of the sudden it is starting to go...... I must not get too confident though, I'll just get lazy.... I have to weigh in tommorow.... we'll see if I've lost another pound.... anyway walk faster... and it seems to help me.

flower
03-16-2003, 11:41 PM
2nd walk of the day. The dog walked me, we went a 12 minute mile. Yeah!!!

melekalikimaka
03-17-2003, 01:26 AM
I got a 2nd walk in too :D . I tried to walk my sister's dog but he didn't want to budge. He kept turning around looking for her (he has issues) :lol: . Went through my regular route of 3.5 miles w/out the kid this time. I got in 7 miles in 1 day! I am feeling pumped!

Keep it up everyone. It does get easier and it is worth it.

Ruthdee good luck on your weigh-in!

Belle128
03-17-2003, 09:16 AM
Hey, everyone;)
Doesn't seem like I can get here every day to post, so i'll try to catch up. Over the weekend I walked 5.5 miles, between the two days, and this morning I walked around the lake in town...3+ laps which is about 3.5 miles ...DD met me on his way to work and walked the third lap with me:)
March Miles: 29 down.......31 to go

Have a great Monday!
Gina Belle
245/195/128

flower
03-17-2003, 04:13 PM
I got in a 20 minute walk before the rain came. I am at least trying!!! Thats more than I can say for the last 6 months! :)

Smiling Sal
03-17-2003, 05:06 PM
I tend to walk at least a mile a day, Mon - Fri, around the area I work, usually at lunchtime. I have all sorts of different routes. And then at the weekend or evenings depending on DH shifts, I try to do either my 3 mile route or my new 4.25 miles one. Am building it up slowly, am not a fast walker, working on that too.

I love to walk, haven't invested in any tapes, cd yet but am thinking about it.

I walked 1.25 miles today and am determined to do 3 miles tomorrow morning, will need to be done before work, due to shift clashes with DH in the evening.

Joanne D
03-17-2003, 07:12 PM
Sorry Girls - I didn't make it. My heart was there ,but, the body wasn't. I didn't rest well last night. I felt so tired all day. Going to bed after the President's speech.
Let's all say an extra prayer tonight. My G/son is over there on the U.S Harry S. Truman. I know there is a lot of protection for the carriers but we never know. They got to the Cole. He works in that part of the ship. Maybe this is what is wrong with me.. I am sure I am not alone...Joanne

WNYmom
03-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Joanne D
Sorry Girls - I didn't make it. My heart was there ,but, the body wasn't. I didn't rest well last night. I felt so tired all day. Going to bed after the President's speech.
Let's all say an extra prayer tonight. My G/son is over there on the U.S Harry S. Truman. I know there is a lot of protection for the carriers but we never know. They got to the Cole. He works in that part of the ship. Maybe this is what is wrong with me.. I am sure I am not alone...Joanne

Joanne,
I will be keeping your grandson in my prayers for his safety. I am very worried about what is about to happen as well.
Keep us posted on how he is doing.

flower
03-17-2003, 10:37 PM
The dog took me for another walk/run for 1.5 miles! :)

flower
03-17-2003, 10:38 PM
Joanne-keep the faith! We are all hoping for everyones safe and quick return home too.

melekalikimaka
03-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Joanne I'm saying a quick prayer for your grandson and all other military personnel called to serve and defend our country. May they all return safely.

I got in my usual route this evening. A little quicker than usual since there was a threat of rain and we sort of half ran/half walked the whole way. I'm exhausted. Feels good though. I'm gonna try to walk 7 days straight this week.

Smiling Sal
03-18-2003, 02:20 PM
Got up early, about 6am and did my 2.5 mile circuit took about 40 minutes, was eerie walking so early and in the fog

Belle128
03-18-2003, 06:28 PM
Walked another half mile yesterday and 2 miles this morning.
Gina Belle;)
245/195/128

Joanne D
03-18-2003, 06:57 PM
I did 2 miles on the treadmill. It took me 45 min. but I'm not hurting so much. Tomorrow ,I will try to go out and walk further.
Hello Smiling Sal- Scotland. I live in Florida.. What a distance we are from each other. I would never walk so early or at night. At least not by myself. I get scared easy.
Bye ...Joanne

flower
03-18-2003, 10:38 PM
45 minute walk. I am taking tomorrow off, my shins hurt. Need new shoes, I am walking heel first instead of toe first.

melekalikimaka
03-19-2003, 03:21 AM
flower, arggghhhh! I hate shin splints. Knocking on wood but i haven't had any in about 3 weeks. A day off usually helps, then really concentrating on stretching those muscles before you start again helps alot too. Otherwise, I use ibuprofen and some ben-gay type cream. Yup, I take those meds when needed.

I'm very boring. Same route every day 3.5 mi. + walking my son to school. Boring, but consistent. This is my 3rd day straight this week (counting from Sunday). Looking to do it 7 days straight :crossed: .

Good job everyone, get out there and walk!

Belle128
03-19-2003, 01:47 PM
walked 3 miles this morning;)
March miles: 34.5 March goal: 60
i'm waiting for the scale to move
the first 50 lbs. came off in about
10 months, starting with Sept. 2000
been maintaining ever since, i'm sure
that without the daily walks the weight
would have come right back on this 5'2"
frame.

Walk On!
Gina Belle
245/195/128

Joanne D
03-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Wow!! You girls are really doing good. I walked my usual rt. today. 2.5 miles for an hour. It was so hot . We are in the 80's now. I think we will have a long hot summer.
Keep up the good work. Joanne

WNYmom
03-19-2003, 06:57 PM
My back is still sore and when I walk around it hurts more so I am staying off the treadmill. I had my 3rd visit with the chiropractor today. He wanted to see me back on Friday but his schedule is so full that I have to wait till Monday.
I wish I had a big soaking tub. I am gonna sit in a hot bath tonight but our tub isn't that deep.
Friday late afternoon we drop the boys off at my sister's and go on a little get away with several members of the car club my DH belongs to. It is gonna be so nice to get away for a few days. We come home on Sunday.

Smiling Sal
03-20-2003, 04:44 PM
Walked at lunchtime yesterday did my 1.5 circuit.

Walked earlier this morning, did the 2 mile route.

Joanne - I am very lucky to live in safe part of the world and I can walk alone early in the morning or late in the evening.

walked again this evening up to the supermarket and back another 1.6 miles

am enjoying every minute of it

melekalikimaka
03-21-2003, 02:24 AM
Hey everyone, same ole same ole for me--3.5 miles. I feel great I got it done, but this evening I whipped up a batch of cinnamon rolls for my family and even though they were small, I ate one. It was good, but I don't think it was worth it :( . Oh well, tomorrow is another day and I will walk it off.

Ciao!

Joanne D
03-21-2003, 09:24 AM
Hello All- I didn't get to walk yesterday ,but, will try today. I did lose the 2 lbs I gained last week,but , I won't ger excited until I lose 2 more next week. That is going to be hard as I am having company this weekend..Bye, Joanne

Belle128
03-21-2003, 12:48 PM
Joanne: Way to go:) on the 2 lbs. lost!!

I walked 3 miles yesterday and 3 so far today. Feels great!
Gina Belle:)
245/194/128
Goal: down to 165 by our anniversary in June

Joanne D
03-21-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks Belle- I walked 43min. on the treadmill for 2 miles. I was watching the war . That helped to keep my mind off the treadmill. I hate that thing ,but, sometimes I am forced to use it...
Hope you all have a good weekend...Joanne

flower
03-21-2003, 11:21 PM
55 minute walk with no shin pain. Put my old Reebocks on, seemed to do the trick. 2 days off helped too. It sure looks like an Easter Egg outside with all the spring flowers blooming!

melekalikimaka
03-22-2003, 01:41 PM
Hey everyone. I got in about 40 minutes last night. Cut the route short since my sister and I wanted to watch the movie "Normal" on the boob-tube. It was funny but it was so bizarre. Bizarre. THe only word I can think of that fits. It was about a couple married for 25 years when the husband confesses that he was born in the wrong body and then decides to go about making the necessary changes to make himself 'complete', including sex reassignment. Entertainment for sure. Not worth cutting the walk short though. The good thing is I got my butt out of bed early this morning (my usual rest day) and took my son out for a walk. Pushing a stroller is hard work especially up hills. I'm feeling pumped. Oh yeah, down 2 lbs this week! :cb: I can stay OP this weekend, i can i can i can.

Congratulations on the losses everyone. We can do this! Get out and walk!

flower
03-23-2003, 09:53 AM
I shopped for 4 hours yesterday, that must count for some walking, right???

Smiling Sal
03-23-2003, 11:35 AM
Was away for the weekend, but still managed a 2 mile, including walking up a very steep hill.

Had on new shoes and now have a very nasty blister on my heel, will need to be careful with my feet this week until it heals.

May not be able to walk as far as normal this week - will experiment later with DH's thick socks and lots of plasters. I really miss my walks if I don't do them

Smiling Sal
03-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Up at 6 and walked 2.1 miles, just back from a lovely lunchtime walk in the sunshine, clocked up another 1.6 miles.

Have set myself a mini aim of walking 20 miles before next Monday, will be interesting to see if I manage it

Belle128
03-24-2003, 08:55 AM
Hello;)
logging my miles, haven't been here in a few days
saturday: walked 4.5 miles in two sessions
sunday: walked 3 miles, played tennis with DD
this morning walked 2 miles around lake in town

Gina Belle
245/195/128

Joanne D
03-24-2003, 07:16 PM
Belle- Your location sounds like a little town where my daughter lives..
I walked today around a bayou 2 1/2 miles total. I feel like I might be getting stronge enough ,after not walking on a regular basis for a year, to start extending my milage and time. I used to walk 3 1/2 - 4 miles a day. My knee isn't any worse so I might try it again soon. I walk 5 times a week now.
It was raining yesterday so I didn't get out. I seem to be losing and gaining the same 2 lbs all the time.. That is not fun...esp. since I am not eating that much different from one week to the next:?:
Bye...Joanne

flower
03-24-2003, 10:06 PM
I walked 45 minutes today.

Belle128
03-27-2003, 02:44 PM
Tues: walked 2 miles
Wed: walked 4 miles
this morning I walked 2 miles around lake in town:)
Gina Belle
245/CW191/CurrentGoal165/128

Joanne D
03-28-2003, 07:02 PM
I walked my usual rt. 2 1/2 miles.I would like to increase that but so far need a little more energy.. Joanne

melekalikimaka
03-29-2003, 01:35 PM
Hey everyone. I have walked every day for 2 weeks straight. I usually take Saturday's off but since I tend to go off plan during the weekends I have taken to getting a Saturday morning walk w/my son. I've just gotten back from a 3 mi. while pushing a stroller. I'm feeling great. On top of that I'm down another 2 lbs from last week--bringing me down 39 lbs total :cb: . I think I'll set a goal for April to walk 65 miles...keep walking everybody! Have a good weekend.

Joanne D
03-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Melekalikimaka- That is a really long name..Good for you on the weight loss. I was up a pound last weigh in but that was my own fault. I am adicted to the bagged junk food. I am trying harder this week. I only have 17 more lbs to lose. It is really hard for me. I think it is much easier for you young girls.
I walked 2 miles today.
Hello everyone....Joanne

Joanne D
03-31-2003, 07:09 PM
I walked my 2 1/2 miles today.. It was a little cool with the wind coming off the water. I live near the Gulf of Mexico and there are a couple bauous that I walk around when I don't go straight to the beach and walk. Both rts. are 2 1/2 miles. I am hurting and had to take a long soak in hot water. The old bones are not cooperating. I have arthritis and maybe the change in weather has something to do with it. Whining will not help!Otherwise I feel good. Noe all I have to do is lose more wt.....Joanne

melekalikimaka
03-31-2003, 07:21 PM
Hey Joanne, I love reading your posts. You're very inspiring. Yes I'm on the younger side and my bones aren't giving me trouble (knock on wood), but it's the laziness factor that stops me. I didn't get a walk in yesterday since it was raining buckets most of the day. I do plan to get back on track today and get my regular evening walk. It's so humid here, the suns out and shining but no breeze to speak of, I think the clouds are coming back and we're expecting more rain. Oh well we need the rain to keep things green and beautiful. I'll make the best of it anyway. Good for you on getting that walk in. Take care of yourself.

Everyone else, keep walking!

Joanne D
04-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Noelle- Thanks for saying that I can inspire you. Now I need someone to inspire me.:lol: I didn't get to walk for the past couple days. One day my bones were hurting too much and today I was so busy I didn't think about it till it was time to cook supper and then it was too late. I'll try tomorrow. Keep up the good work.
I have a TOPs meeting tomorrow and I know I haven't done so well this week either. Yes , I need motivation and inspiration too.
Hello everybody..Joanne

WNYmom
04-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Well, I am still having problems with my back but slowly getting better.
I did have a major puter problem and was without one for several days. Come to find out my power surge thingie failed and we had a surge and it burned my mother board. My puter was only 2 years old but in puter age that was old and they no longer make the mother board for my puter. I had to buy a new CPU. Finally got it together and everything up and running. One nice thing is that I will get getting a total of 15 free months of AOL and we also filed a claim with our homeowner's policy. The guy at the puter store said some damage may be covered. Haven't heard anything yet cuz the paperwork was just faxed to the adjuster today. I highly suggest that if you have a surge protector that is more than 2 years old to replace it. The guy at the store told me that after so many surges they fail. They can only handle so many surges. I didn't know that so...
Now for my walking. I haven't! I did one day but it really bothered my back so I am taking a bit of a break. One nice thing is that I am still loosing! I pay close attention to my diet and that is holding me to about 1 # loss a week. I can deal with that!

Joanne D
04-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Janine- I hope your back is better soon. I have had back problems since I was a teenager ,and that is a long time ago,so I know what that pain is like.. I have been told that walking strengthens the muscles in the back. You couldn't prove it by me. Walking is about the only exercise I get . I walked 2 1/2 miles today and weighed in 2 lbs less this week. Now all I have to do is not gain it back this week. That has been par for the course with me...
Hello everybody.Joanne

jackslady
04-03-2003, 08:34 PM
Hello to you ladies! I am new to this get real exercise game, but took to it very seriously. I started having 260 lbs to lose, have lost 70 since Jan 6 and started walking babysteps. One of the reasons I got serious about getting all this weight off was because I was having trouble walking!:lol: So, dumb me picks that for exercise, but the truth is I couldn't do anything else! I have a knee problem that prevents any hoping up and down at all. I am nearly 50 so that played a part in it also. I knew that if I didn't do something and get serious about it I was gonna be one of those fat women you see walking around with a cane or a scooter and I was not going to give in to that. I started with a huff and puff 1/2 mile and a good pair of shoes (New Balance and I swear by them!). It was little more than a saunter, but I did that puppy twice a day 7 days a week. I worked my way up to 3/4 mile twice a day but developed back problems from the surface I was walking on and the inclines. I moved my walking to the mall. My dh made me take one day off a week, but I am able to power walk the mall religiously 6 days a week. I have never missed except when I went out of town up north and did 45 minutes of water aerobics in the hotel pool everyday instead. One of the big things about exercise is commitment and it takes a lot of it and routine. Developing a routine is the very best thing. I go everyday after dh gets home from work (he goes with me and sits in the food court and eats sugar cookies! :lol: :lol: ) and when I keep the car, I try and get to the mall as soon as the doors open. Good luck to everyone and remember that exercise is a big key to weight loss!

Donna

Joanne D
04-04-2003, 07:25 PM
Welcome Donna- It sounds like you are doing a great job reducing your weight and working toward better health. I too went the walking route. I walk at least an hour 4-5 times a week. I used to walk up to 4 miles a day but I too have knee problems. I have already had one knee replacement and the other knee is starting downhill. I wear a brace on it when I walk any distance ,just in case it should slip out of place.I have osteoarthritis. I lost 57 lbs and am now trying to lose another 15.I just reached my 70th yr. I enjoy walking and it is the only exercise I will stick with. That is my hour to get away and relax.
Stick with your walking and you will reach your goal. You will be a happy person when the day comes that you give all you big size clothes to a Tops or WW group. That is what I did. I went to a Tops meeting about a month ago and by chance met the lady that got all my clothes. She told me how grateful she was to recieve them . She has lost about a hundred pounds. She will represent our group at a convention next week. She told me she has since passed those clothes on to another lady who needed them. I was a little emotional giving them away as I had made all of them.
Hello Everybody..Joanne

jackslady
04-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Joanne: What an absolutely marvelous idea! I have thought about what to do with my clothing once I cannot wear it any longer as I have several expensive suits and dresses that I don't want to just go to Good Will. I also thought about donating to that New York charity (they may have one here for all I know) that gives business suits to women for job interviews if they have nothing to wear. I would bet there are a lot of obese women who cannot afford $200 for a suit, but need something for a job interview. You keep up the great work. Exercise keeps you young!

I weighed in this AM and am down another 6 lbs for a total of 76 now!

Well, I just had a moment to peek in, but wanted to say HI to everyone!

Take care, Donna

melekalikimaka
04-05-2003, 01:05 AM
Hey everyone, just popping in to say hi. I got my regular route in of 3.5 miles and am pleasantly tired.

Janine, sorry to hear that you're still having problems w/your back and your computer. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have access to a computer daily (on second thought, that might actually be a good thing since I wouldn't be sitting on my butt so much :) )

Joanne that IS a good idea about giving the larger clothes to a WW or Tops group. I think Hawaii has an organization like the one Donna mentioned for underprivileged woman needing business attire. Wow, you made your clothes? I am pretty hopeless with a sewing machine or needle and thread. In fact, I almost flunked Home Ec class when we had to complete 2 sewing projects. :lol: I have 2 boxes of clothing that I need to get rid of.
Personally I think it would be a neat idea if there were some sort of "swap meet" here on the site. All of us here are at different parts of our journey, we're all different sizes. I bet we could swap clothing with other members as we lose. Just a random thought...

Hi Donna :wave: . I've seen your wisdom on other threads (i.e. the Secret to Weight Loss, etc) . Glad you could join us walkers here. Your progress is remarkable. Congratulations on the 6# loss, that is excellent. I look forward to reading more of your insightful posts :D .

jackslady
04-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Well I got in my mall walk today and probably did it faster than I ever have. Maybe the fact that I weighed today and am now 82 lbs down and only 15 to go to be below 300 lbs gave me a big lift! I have not been below 300 for almost 20 years! I am really excited about getting to that goal!

It is a lovely day today again and nice and warm. I may get out onto the deck and sit and read for awhile. Dh is watching the basketball game so is pretty tied up!:lol: :lol:

Hope all you ladies are having a good weekend!

Donna

Joanne D
04-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Donna - Very Good with the weight loss. Keep up the good work. You are braver than I was. I couldn't plan a goal till I was almost there. It just seemed too far to look ahead. I had failed so many times. I didn't even tell my family what I was doing, except my hubby, till I was almost there. They all thought I was sick . They never say me that size. Always heavy.
Melekalikimaka- Yes I have made almost all my clothes since I was 13 yrs old. I still do. I buy some things like jeans ,tee shirts . I find I can make just as nice as I can buy and for almost next to nothing. I refuse to pay the price .
I tryed to walk today ,but. after I went about 1/4 mile I knew I wasn't up to it so turned around and came home. I did do vacumning ,4 loads of laundry. cleaned kitchen floor, etc. so I guess I moved some. Tomorrow is a new day.
Bye for now...Joanne