Weight Loss Support - How did you decide your goal weight?

Bonesdontjiggle
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
I am at a loss on where to set my ultimate goal weight. My highest weight was 243, I am currently at 223.(I am 5'9) As an adult the lowest I have weighed is 185. I have always been bigger, even while very active as a kid/teen. That being said, I really don't want to make any excuses. I want to give it my all. Last time I lost weight, I set a bunch of mini goals and that worked well but I would like a 'end prize' type of goal in mind as well.

So would you set your ultimate goal weight as the lowest you have been as an adult or even further, closer to a recommended weight for your height.

JudgeDread
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I set mine based on the lowest I have been in adulthood.....and my post academy weight (best shape of my life)...

But I am sure I could go down more, but first I am going to get to my goal. When there I will re-evaluate if I want/need to loose more based on any jiggly spots hehe

sontaikle
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I've always been overweight, so I had trouble choosing a goal weight. I kept reevaluating as I went down and I found that this weight chose me.

To top it off, my scale was off by 10 pounds...so when I thought I was 130, I was really 120! :lol: I never thought I would get here, but now that I am I'm certainly happy.

Remember, you can set a goal weight but it doesn't have to be set in stone. As you go down you can move it higher or lower depending on how you feel about your body :)

thistoo
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
I set my original goal (120) according to the BMI chart. I just picked a number at the high end of the range for my height and figured I'd go from there. Then I got down to 150 and got stuck, and I got so frustrated that I'd failed to reach my goal that I gave up.

Fast forward two years and 68 pounds regained, and I'm just trying to get back down to 150. Once I get back there I'll figure out if can lose more. I have learned the lesson about setting myself up for failure the hard way, that's for sure.

ETA: That said, there's nothing at all wrong with shooting for the moon! The trouble for me came in because I'm very much an 'all or nothing' girl, and I decided I'd failed based on not hitting an arbitrary number. I'm trying to be kinder to myself this time around. As long as you see all your victories as a success and don't focus on your end goal as the *only* success, you'll be fine.

JudgeDread
01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I've always been overweight, so I had trouble choosing a goal weight. I kept reevaluating as I went down and I found that this weight chose me.

To top it off, my scale was off by 10 pounds...so when I thought I was 130, I was really 120! :lol: I never thought I would get here, but now that I am I'm certainly happy.

Remember, you can set a goal weight but it doesn't have to be set in stone. As you go down you can move it higher or lower depending on how you feel about your body :)

I wish mine was ten pounds over, but the jeans don't lie!

Lambiechop
01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I set mine for the highest BMI I can be in the healthy range. I want a tummy tuck very badly and most surgeons won't consider it unless you hit somewhere in the healthy category. It may change when I get closer but I have no idea.

runningfromfat
01-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Whatever you think will be the most motivational for you. Clear as mud, right? ;)

I've seen 3FCers set high goal weights (something like 10 lbs down, 10% of their body weights etc) and I've seen others who set their goal weights at the low end of a healthy BMI even when they have 100+lbs to lose. You do what works for you.

Personally, I've always set a range for myself. I definitely want to be at a healthy BMI so doctors have to leave me along about my weight! Beyond that I'm not sure. I'll be at the very top end of a healthy BMI if I lose 9 more lbs and after that I'll just keep reevaluating to see where I want to stop. I have some non-scale goals too. Ultimately I'd like to have a 28" waist or under (not sure if that's going to happen, though...) and be more or less happy with my appearance. For the most part I'm there already except my midsection so I figure I'll continue to lose until at least the high end of my BMI and then decide if it's worth it to go further or not.

The nice thing about a goal weight is you can always change it. If you don't feel happy there go lower. I also highly recommend mini-goals because it helps so much to have a number that you've been looking forward to hitting along the way!! ;)

JohnP
01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
When I was 300 lbs my goal was 260 because I had weighed 260 for many years.

At 260lbs my goal changed to have a six pack of abs because I realized it was possible. I estimated my goal weight was going to be 230 and 10% BF.

When I got to 232 I had a 2 pack and a body fat% of about 13%. So my goal changed again.

The point of this is merely to point out that your goals will probably change over time depending on a multitude of factors. The important part is to set a realistic goal so you believe you can achieve it. Many people set goals 5lbs at a time.

LAgreeneyes
01-30-2012, 12:49 PM
I based on my weight when I felt my best and looked my best, including clothe's sizes.

OhThePlaces
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
My lowest weight as an adult was 136 when I was 19/20 years old. In my earlier twenties I ranged from the 130s to the 180s. When I started this journey last spring at 165, my goal was 138. I felt great at 136 several years ago, but I just didn't know if it was attainable now that I'm 27 and have given birth to 2 babies in less than 2 years. As I got closer, I moved my goal weight down multiple times.

I was down to 132 in June and felt that I could still lose a few pounds. I'm now UP a few lbs :o, but my goal is somewhere between 125-130.

carter
01-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Let me suggest that you not worry about setting a goal weight now. Whether your ultimate goal is 150 or 160 or 170 will not make an ounce of difference to your behavior today, to the very next food choice you have to make. So why spend time and energy worrying about that now? Focus on the behaviors you need to address, the habits you want to change - the numbers will come in time, and you can pick a goal weight when you are closer and have more of an idea of how different weights might look on you. For now, set "goal behaviors" - stay on plan a certain number of days, exercise a certain number of times a week, etc. - not goal weights.

I never set a goal weight when I started out - how could I? I had not been a healthy weight since I was 17, and I ain't 17 any more - even the same number I was then wouldn't look the same on me, wouldn't be as feasible to reach or maintain. So I just never bothered with setting a goal weight - the process offers plenty to think about and fret over without worrying about whether I ultimately want to lose 120 or 125 pounds.

Now that I am very close to a healthy weight - well, guess what, I still don't have a goal weight. My goal is to continue to make good choices and continue to work on good eating and exercise habits. I will decide when I'm done losing weight based on one of two conditions: either (a) I'm happy with where I am, or (b) losing more weight proves to be more effort than I am willing or able to put in.

I don't see the point of setting "goal weight", some arbitrary number, based upon anything other than those two considerations. I have come to appreciate the value of setting goals based upon what I do, rather than the often unpredictable, uncontrollable outcome of the things I do. I'd rather set a behavior-based goal, so that whether I achieve that goal or not is ENTIRELY within my control.

philana
01-30-2012, 01:15 PM
I set my goal weight based on the weight I enjoyed most. I was 120 right after I was heartsick because of bad eating. Wasn't a great way of getting there but my body felt awesome in that period. Fit into nice size jeans and felt comfortable.

That is my goal for now. But I also know ever since I am about 16 that the easiest to maintain for me is between 125-129. So if I can't get to the 120, that is fine. But I can try to get there in a healthy fashion this time! Though who knows with working out and such I might look just as lean as I did at 120 when I weigh 130?

Whatever way you decide, make sure you do stay within healthy range and allow yourself to change your goalweight if it's gonna look like you are gonna have to work harder than you -want- to to get there.

saltatoria
01-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I was 175 in high school and college, and I was cute and comfortable at that weight. I didn't feel model-gorgeous, but I wasn't "fat" either. I could ride roller coasters and sit in airplane seats without any issues whatsoever. I figure if I get down to 175, or even 180, I'll be happy. Anything past that is bonus. :)

MedChick87
01-30-2012, 01:38 PM
I kind of use multiple sources to figure out my goal range. I say range because I don't know exactly what weight I will stop at, but I gather somewhere between 130 and 140. My lowest "adult" weight (I was actually like, 16) was around 150 lbs, and I really liked how I looked, but would like to go at least 10 lbs lower than that. I also know that, for my height, 140 is right in the middle of the healthy weight range. So that's kind of how I chose that number. However, once I get there, I may decide to lose a bit more b/c I have no idea how I'll look at 140. It's going to be interesting to see!

EagleRiverDee
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
I set mine at the weight I looked good at when I was 27, before my thyroid failed and I started gaining a bunch of weight. I figure it's realistic because I used to be that weight.

baker23
01-30-2012, 02:18 PM
I think the last time I weighted what I do now, was in middle school xD and I was shorter so I have no idea what i'll look like at my goal. So I set mine because its 10 pounds into my healthy body range, so it'll give me a little leanway if I do gain. And because at 175, I would have lost exactly 1/2 my body weight. Anything else I lose after that would just be a bonus for me :) I'm not shooting for "Model," or "Skinny"....Just a weight that makes me feel good and won't be to difficult to maintain. :)

Arctic Mama
01-30-2012, 02:23 PM
I just picked a number that I looked and felt good at when I was younger, that was still well in the overweight range for my height. It was kind of a pie-in-the-sky choice, because as Carter says the number thing is so arbitrary and hard to predict when you're far from reaching it. And as Sontaikle said, the number can and will likely shift up or down depending on how I look and feel.

For me, it's just the beginning of a range. The fine tuning can't occur until I am in it, real time. Fortunately I'm getting closer! The healthy behaviors and permanent habit changes are what really matters and that isn't contingent on ANY scale.

RRB2
01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
I picked a weight that I used to be before my first pregnancy + 15lb.
Realistically speaking, I don't expect t have the same body after having 4 kids in 10 years.
That being said, I'm ready to re-evaluate when I reach my goal weight.

cassieleighgotto
01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I chose it based on the fact that I was really happy when I was 150 pounds. I am now 182 and unhappy. When I was 150, yes, I was overweight, but I was so happy! I felt sexy and confident and healthy! I want to feel that way again. :)

LiannaKole
01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
At first I thought mine was the lowest I could remember being. Turns out that's not even close to the goal I want.

Right now I have a goal that's a few pounds under where I ultimately want to end up. Usually people who switch to maintenance put on a few pounds before they settle, so I'm aiming for a weight that'll give me some cushion.

But that's just my own experience. I was in maintenance for about 6 months before I started losing again (recently), and I put back on about 10 lbs and then held fairly steady.

Alki
01-30-2012, 09:11 PM
First of all, I want sontaikle's scale! My scale will show a weight, and I get all happy, to show my doctor that I lost weight...then I get there, and hop on, and it says 8-10# HEAVIER than the one at home... *cry*

I decided on my goal weight because it is at the mid-higher range for my 'healthy' BMI. I know the chart has it's quirks, but when I was 21 (and in that range), I was healthy, felt great...I think I still have my 'skinny' jeans. I'd love to be able to fit back into those!

makingthechanges
01-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I haven't chosen a goal weight yet. I put 160 for my 1st goal just because I figured it was achievable. I didn't want to bum myself out by having my goal be 70 lbs away. But my plan is to reassess at 160. I know I will continue going, but not sure if my goal will be a size 10, or a weight, or what. I used to carry my weight well and when I was 145, people thought I was more like 120-130, so maybe somewhere in that range. It's really going to be about what feels good, and how I look in clothes. And of course, what I think I can maintain. I have no illusion of being model thin, but I do want a flat belly!

Madame Souza
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
I am 5'9 too. I started my goal weight at 160 because it is in the middle of my healthy BMI. I started at 286 and am now at 195. I am looking at my fat and thinking that it might look like more then the 35 I have set for myself. I have no idea what 160 looks like on me because I have been overweight my whole adult life. I am going to reevaluate when I get closer to my goal. I have seen many members here set a goal weight and reevaluate to loose more or less as they get closer to it. I think the thing is to set the weight so that you can have something to move towards but not have it be set in stone. You can be flexible.

watchoutforthatcar
01-30-2012, 09:32 PM
I set 180 because I literally can't remember a time I wasn't wayyyyy over 200. I feel like it's the most achievable to me. I think about it all of the time...and I can see myself there vs. 125. Now WHEN I get to 180 I'm definitely going to do some re-evaluating and see if I'm content there for the time being (since it'll be my lowest weight ever) or if I want to move on right away. I'm more on how I feel and what clothes I can wear than what the scale says. Of course, starting off right now it's more about what the scale says then what I feel. lolol, I hope there can be a happy medium somewhere in there! I'd be happy at a size 14, I can't wait to get to a size 14! But I think my ultimate weight goal will be somewhere between 160-145.

Precious Little
01-31-2012, 04:37 AM
I chose my goal weight number not really believing I could achieve it. This is because my goal weight is my lowest adult weight (before the weight creep started after I fell ill). Now I'm focusing on body composition (lower body fat percentage) rather than being rigid about numbers on the scale.

Nadya
01-31-2012, 05:13 AM
I used to weigh 130 and I still felt a little chubby so I looked up what is generally considered a healthy weight range for my height and thought 120 sounded about right. But if I get to ~130 and feel fine, 120 isn't a rock solid number.

pattyhues
01-31-2012, 05:53 AM
I didn't really set a goal weight for myself. For me, im just not going to stop until I know I look my best.

aliasihaya
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I debated on this as well. Thinking about the end game is very overwhelming since I have around 100 pounds to lose. But I also wanted to have a goal in mind. The last time I felt good was around 135. I felt even better when I was thinner, but 135 was a good weight for me and seems potentially attainable. So that's my true goal weight. But as I said this is hard enough as it is, so I don't really want to think about that number much. So right now I'm focused on 180. About half way. I'd be ecstatic if I could hit that weight. But before that, I've set mini goals at 10 pound increments. Right now I'm just looking 10 pounds ahead. I'm so close to my first mini goal but keep bouncing up by 2 pounds. I haven't been able to break it yet. But I think I'd get really depressed about it if I was constantly thinking about 135.

Daki
01-31-2012, 10:46 AM
I suspect my lowest weight as an adult was about 150, maaaybe 145. At that weight I was still not happy with my weight, so I shot for lower. I picked a low end of healthy (I believe it's about 20) BMI. I picked it because 120 was always my go-to excuse "It's not like I'll ever be skinny, I'll never be 120lbs." I always told myself that and it was an excuse to not even bother with weight loss. Where 120 came from, I dunno. It was just what I said.

I also picked it because it gives me an excuse to keep trying. If I set it at 140 and got to 140, I'd probably just just stay there. but now I have to TRY to get to 120. Realistically, will I get there? NO IDEA. But I can certainly try and if my body tells me that's not going to happen, then it won't and I'll pick where I'm happiest at. Key is for it to be sustainable and I don't think I'll know what that is until I'm there.

xJox
01-31-2012, 11:06 AM
I just set mine at my lowest as an adult. Ill readjust when I get there.

Glory87
01-31-2012, 11:34 AM
When I started around 200lbs, I picked 150 as my goal weight. I had maintained that weight fairly successfully for a few years in my late 20s and it seemed feasible. The lowest I had ever weighed in my adult life was 137 - which I achieved through radical crash dieting (dexatrim was involved) and stayed there for about 1 day.

When I reached 150, the weight was still coming off steadily, so I reevaluated my goal weight based on BMI charts and came up with 135.

I plateaued - HARD at 140. No amount of hard work would move the scale. I stayed stuck at 140 for 2-3 months. I was very frustrated, when I realized I was actually maintaining! I was enjoying my slimmer body, bought a ton of clothes and decided to maintain at 140. I adjusted my calories (very slowly) to a maintenance level.

And...ended up losing about 10 more lbs. I weighed 127-128 for several years but now I'm about 135. I'm currently working to get back to 130 so all of my clothes fit.

Magalo
01-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I settled a range using the BMI chart and my frame size. At the middle of that range, I reevaluted! It's simple.