Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 07:07 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Steel Magnonias #314

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is raining and I am so happy! I love it when it rains in California. Went to the green grocers today and picked up some farm fresh goodies. I got one of my houses done today and it sure looks cute ~ even if I do say so. Cowboy says so. I am now out of solder and it looks like I will have to order it from my source in Florida. The plumbers have all changed to non lead and I use 50/50 for my coper foil wich is 50% tin and 50% lead. They also make a 60/40 for glass but most folks that do copper foil use the 50/50. The first number is the tin which makes it melt so the 60/40 melts quicker. You have now had a lesson on solder.

Living in this small place I do most everything here in one spot. At the table. It is where I use my computer, do my glass work and eat my meals use my sewing machine, etc. So things get done in shifts and I don't get on my computer near as often as when I don't have a glass project going.

Everyone have a wonderful evening and stay warm.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-25-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2003, 07:47 PM   #2  

Maggie: One of these days you should post one of your completed projects. I know we would all love to see it.

Jean: We are replacing an old one a very old one by the looks of the thing. Hopefully he will be here tomorrow and get it taken care of. To tell you how old it is, the top rack slides on these metal slats and wheels and they are sticking and one day it completely came out in my hand and crashed to the floor breaking all my glass glasses! Now the dumb thing doesn't slid in all the way so you have to shove it to get it in. It also has a tiny top rack and you can only get small glasses in it and so sometimes you end up washing stuff by hand! My new one is not a top of the line, but it has a delayed cycle and a pots and pans and a china cycle which is what I was looking for. It has nice deep baskets, sprayers top and bottom (I guess that is pretty standard now) and a silverware basket that is on the side instead of the middle.

You guys are never going to believe this. I am so mad about this. I have been calling my vets since last week trying to get a boarding and grooming appt for our Yorkie while we are in Indiana next month. No one is answering the phone so we drove over there this afternoon and they went out of business th 21st and never told us! We can't get our animals records because no one is there. We went to another vets that is about 3 blocks from our house and they were super nice. Our Yorkie is very afraid of the vets (he is afraid of everything the big chicken!) and they have a "nursery" where all little dogs and puppies get to run free away from big dogs and all noises. She said they have a big window where they can look out and see the vet techs and that we can bring anything we want for Fortune (he has a fleece elephant that is his baby and he sleeps with it etc).

Well, need to get all my posting done and I am going to be early. I only got about 4 hours last night because of my stupid hip so I am bushed!

Donna
Old 02-25-2003, 10:44 PM   #3  

Good Evening Flowers,

Guess what? It's snowing yet again! Wasn't supposed to start until tomorrow night.........so much for that forecast!

Well, I didn't gain anything, but didn't lose either.......this is over two weeks, as we didn't meet last week due to the, you guessed it............snow and ice! I'm reading an article on obesity in the AARP magazine...........wish we had a decent university clinic nearby. Guess it's a trade off.

Donna, I'm looking at a half sized dishwasher. It costs about the same as a regular one, but takes up half the space. I have a portable one now that sounds like yours, but hasn't worked for a couple of years. It does have a chopping block top, and is some muchneeded counter space.

I, too, am having more aches and pains than ever before this winter...........do you suppose it's the weather? I refuse to accept that it's because I'm 63 I'm on lots of Ibuprofin, but my sister the nurse told me tonight to switch off to Aleve for a few days. The Ibuprofin is prescription strength which I take 3x/day, and I think I've built up an immunity to it, because it sure isn't doing the job. We were looking at hot tubs online tonight........I'm getting desperate. Don't know where I'd put it, as I sure don't want to be running outside in weather like this! Putting a jacuzzi-type tub in this 60+ yr.old house isn't a viable option. Woe is me. All that being said, I wouldn't trade Lewisburg for anywhere else.

Off to bed.
Bubs
Old 02-25-2003, 10:52 PM   #4  

PS

Maggie, you're amazing with all your projects. You must not only be talented, but have the patience of a saint.......not to mention being organized.(You could probably teach the Flylady a thing or two :~}) How big is your RV? What does Cowboy do when you have the table filled with glass? I sold our camper a couple of years after my husband died, and I still miss it. Hard to believe it's almost 35 years ago! I've often thought of buying a small vantype RV, but then a friend says I'd be better off renting one. I"ve never been farther west than St. Louis, and would love to see the Northwest. One of these days. I keep watching for an interesting Elderhostel too.

I really am off to bed this time.
Bubbles, the Eskimo don't wannabe
Old 02-26-2003, 01:26 AM   #5  
Thin Within

Smile After 10 p.m.

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

The rain came in buckets and has now stopped. We surely are getting enough to not be in the minus stage anymore. Tomorrow is just supposed to be partly cloudy.

DONNA that is so rude of that vet closing shop and not letting you know so you could get your records. Hope this new one you found will work out for you. Sounds like you got the dishwasher picked out that you will be happy with. Did you get a Dooney Borke (sp) Coach type bag? I have one and love it.

BUBBLES I have heard that you can build up a resistance to meds which isn't a nice thought when you have somethng that really works. Our travel trailer - which is currently home is a 29 foot straight pull type. Cowboy has about a foot and half of table space which my glass work board doesn't cover and he is outside mostly working on his saddle stuff. He does cleaning and repair and that is "outside" work. When inside he can sit on the couch to read. We work it out quite handily. Inside he can also sit on the couch or use his little space at the table to do his leather braiding so he isn't inconvenienced much and loves it that I am doing this project. Yes me and Flylady a place for everything and everything in it's place. Congratulations on your maintain ~ at least your body is telling you it wants to get used to your current weight.

Have a nice peaceful easy eveing folks and stay warm.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:28 AM   #6  

Hello from the frozen south! UGH!

I am hoping I can get out today and walk though it will probably be nasty doing so. I may just wait until dh gets home and go to the mall again.

Bubs: Being in the Navy we have criss crossed the US so I have been in a lot of places. I have never been in the upper northwest or northeast though. My husband is from New Mexico (Las Cruces) and I loved it when he was on recruiting duty and we lived there. One year it was 85 Christmas Day and I remember wearing shorts and having tacos for Christmas dinner. My Yankee family was horrified! We lived in the southern states as that just happens to be where a lot of the Naval Air Stations are. We have lived in Va twice, Memphis, 3 times, Calif once, New Mexico and Tex once. I am from Northwest Indiana. So I guess I have been to Minn, Wisc, Ill, Mich, Ind, Ohio, Penn, New York, New Jersey, Va, Washington DC, W Va, North Carolina, Maryland, MS, TN, Okl, Ark, Tex, Arizona, New Mexico, Calf, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky. My dh is been all over the world, the stinker. Let's see, Africa, Israel, England, France, Italy, Hong Kong, Singapore, Philipines, Australia, Bahamas, Mexico, Canada, Japan. His favorite was Australia. He loved the people. He even was invited to a stranger's home for dinner when he was on shore leave! He hated France! He said the people do not like Americans and treat them rudely. So, I guess we see why they are stirring up so much trouble about the Iraqis!

Well, dh just called and said not to go outside that it is very slippery and we will go to the mall after he gets home from work!

I had better get going so I can get chores done before the installer gets here!

Donna
Old 02-26-2003, 01:40 PM   #7  

Hello ladies,
been a busy few days here for me. I helped a friend out waitressing this weekend. I guess I still got it. The body isn't like it used to be. I have artheritis which is pretty much under contol thanks to the new med celebrex. I've had artheritis since I was 32. Just kept getting worse, had to change meds about every one to two years, so you do get imune. This celebrex is wonderful, the pain is less and more movement. I seem to overdue it at times though. Then it's whirlpool tub time.

Maggie it would be great to see one of your projects, it looks interesting. I did most of my crafty stuff when my kids were little. Now they're gone and just doesn't seem to be any time. I did crochet an afghan for dh last summer. That is only because I had injured my shoulder and could not work, need something to do besides watch tv.
I feel sorry for all of you having such terrible weather. Here in Minnesota we have had ( in my part) no snow, very cold temperatures, the wells and septic systems are freezing up. I have to knowck on wood. We just built 1 1/2 yrs ago, so we don't know how ours would hold up. It was warm last winter. Who can guess???
jackslady, that vet place sounds great for your dog. I have a peekapoo. She also has a fleece elephant toy, she has taken out the squeeker on it and some stuffing, but is her favorite toy. They can be special.
Well take care, talk to you all later
Old 02-26-2003, 02:38 PM   #8  

Loon: Ok, I hate calling you that! We started his elephant thing when he was a puppy. We had a Petsmart that I loved. They don't have one here in Memphis. The closest is 65 miles away in Jackson. We either take a trip or I get on the internet and order about 8 at a time. He goes through them about 1 every 3 months. I cut off the tail because it is yarn and when I start hearing him "cough" I know it is time to chuck the old one and bring out a new. Funny thing, he doesn't mind it at all!

Well, I have had a truly rotten day. My cat knocked off two of my pieces of spanish porcelain and broke them, we had a personal issue come up this morning that has to be taken care of because it is a false report on our credit report, then my nasty older sister e-mailed me and got all ugly about something with me. I just want to hide until tomorrow gets here. Congratulate me, I have not eaten my way through the house even being this stressed. I sat and cried for 1/2 hour regarding my figurines. My collection is worth about $6000 and those two pieces are now worthless. On top of that my insurance does not cover breakage only fire,theft, etc. They are the only things in my house that I am adament with kids about not messing with. Oh poo, I am just in a foul mood and I can't even get out to exercise.

Well, I am sorry for venting, but this has been the day to end all days. On the only up note, our dishwasher was installed in 15 minutes and it is wonderful!

Donna
Old 02-26-2003, 02:53 PM   #9  

Greetings from the Snow Bunny

It's still snowing! Had a rough night last night with the back pain and was able to get in for a manipulation with my favorite manipulator.......an old friend. He looked at some recent pictures and says I've developed a significant amt. of arthritis......not fun. I won't give in to it however.

Jimmy dog has been in and out repeatedly all day. He loves the new snow and plows through it with his nose. He'll go up our hill in back, then come flying down at a dead run with those brown ears just aflappin'. This morning was a little tough, as the old snow was frozen, so he was slipping and sliding all over the place.

Guess we'll finish up the Taco Soup tonight. That and some salad ought to be good.

Have a happy hump day.
Bubs
Old 02-26-2003, 03:18 PM   #10  

Donna,

The joys of cats! I remember the day my aunt's Persian wiped out a Steuben vase she'd been given as a wedding present. She was devastated, but all she said was, "Rangy, no no"! If it had been one of us, it would have been another story! My father was a decoy collector and judge. When he died, my brother and I split up his collection. I was lucky enough to get his best bird, which is a shore bird with long skinny legs and a long skinny beak. I have it barricaded behind some heavy brass candlesticks, as I know nothing is sacred when it comes to the cats It looks rather weird, but it's still in one piece.

Have you run your new dw yet? My stepfather always called ours "the holding tank", as whatever you needed was usually in the dw, and you never were sure whether it was clean or dirty

My husband was Naval Air. Stayed in the Reserves for 12 years. He spent all of his reserve time at NAS Jax. He was a radioman. They used to fly down to the Islands to get in their flight time......Barbados was his favorite. Those were the days when they were in and out of Guantanamo all the time. One time they flew to Maine to take the Skipper's daughter's bike to her, went to Damarascotta to load up on Lobster to bring home, and flew back. Me thinks those days are long gone. He got called back to Active Duty during the Cuban Missile Crisis...........living in FL, we were all on pins and needles. They flew P2V's and id'd ships and submarines from above. They had the highest payroll in the Navy, with Commanders and Lt. Commanders as pilots. I don't think there was a Lt. or JG in the squadron.........just a bunch of old farts who loved it. My husband, at 27, was one of the babies in the group.

Hope you have a good walk and your day gets better.

Maggie,
I'll bet cowboy does beautiful work on those saddles. When we were first married, I taught at a Hunt Club in Jacksonville, FL. One of the things we did was clean three sets of tack a week. On a rainy day when the kids couldn't ride, we'd get them in on the act, but usually it was just us. Doing it that frequently, everything stayed clean and supple. Guess that's one reason I love my Coach bag.......it feels and smells like a clean saddle. There's nothing I love better than the smell of a clean stable. If they could bottle it, I'd buy it in a heart beat. I'd probably get some strange looks, and folks wouldn't get too close to me, but oh well

I'm outta here. Gonna get out the heating pad.
Bubs
Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
Boy, you all have been a chatty bunch today!

The sun is out and it's warmed up to 28 degrees! It almost feels like spring outside . . . almost.

Maggie -- Thanks for the lesson! Whenever I see the word solder, I want to put the "l" in the pronunciation. Wish we could all get together and watch you as you work on your glass houses. Send us some of your rain please!

Donna -- You will love the delay cycle on your new dw -- I use mine all the time. I was sorry to read about your porcelain pieces being broken. I got up to a major mess this morning. One of our cats like to drink out of anything that has plants or flowers in it. I got flowers for Valentine's Day and picked out the dead ones while putting some in a couple of smaller containers. It was my own fault for not putting them back on top of the TV -- I'm not sure which one did it because no one fessed up nor looked guilty. We have ceramic tile so glass shatters into a zillion pieces. It was a cheap vase so the mess was worse than the loss. I'm an "only" but know you must feel bad after your sister episode. One of our teachers just got back from a trip to Paris and commented on how rude the French people were. There were marches against Bush and the U.S. while she was there. Just how come Fortune doesn't get to go to Indiana with his family??????????? Wonder what happened to your old vet.

Bubbles -- We need rain so badly; I wish you could send it our way! Congratulations on the maintain . . . I'd take that any day! My idea of camping is the Holiday Inn although some of the motor homes are pretty nice compared to what was available years ago. I've never been camping so really haven't given it a fair chance.

Loon2 -- "Hi", it's nice to see you today! I have taken Celebrex and had good luck with it. It's been pretty dry here and our MN relatives have commented on the same where they live.

DH just walked in the door so guess it is time to dream up something for supper. Have a nice evening and a terrific Thursday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-26-2003 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-26-2003, 07:03 PM   #12  

Bubs: Jack cleaned up tonight so he could play with the new toy so it is running and it is blessedly quiet! I just love it. Did you like the Navy even the reserves? It was the only life I knew as a grownup as Jack had been in 3 years when we got married. Boy, after 17 years of being totally surrounded by military folk whether medical, groceries, regular shopping whatever, it was culture shock for me and we lived in a totally non military town when he retired and I had no access to military stuff at all. I felt striped naked especially medically. I couldn't just pick up and go to the doctor and get the script filled and go home. I had to have MONEY! to pay for it or at least part of it!

Jean: I am calmed back down regarding my babies, as it is over and done with and nothing can be done except to glue them. As for Fortune, we usually take him with us and stay at Red Roof Inn as he can stay with us, but we have the grandson and daughter to take along and I know that Fortune and he would keep each other awake and we couldn't get two queen beds anyway.

Well, I am sending along a funny to all you cat lovers. My younger sister sent this to me as she knew I would get a kick out of it.

It is called the Cat who saw you naked.

Donna
Old 02-26-2003, 08:22 PM   #13  

Donna, that picture is so cute! I just had to chuckle out loud when I saw it. I even printed it off and will add it to my collection that I have at school. . .but I won't tell what he is laughing at.

J.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:45 AM   #14  

Hi All,
Quick check in before I hit the sack. After returning from my manipulation, I got out the heating pad and laid low the rest of the day. Feel much better tonight. Hoping to be able to do some low impact yoga tomorrow at the Shepherd's Center class. Anyone heard of the Shepherd Centers? They're a great organization sponsored by area churches. Offer lots of classes, as well as doing outreach sorts of things. One of the bennies of being over the hill.

Donna, We were on active duty for 9 months during the Cuban thing, and I was a newly wed, so pretty oblivious to what was going on onbase. Also, with only one vehicle, I was limited in my travels

Back to my book.
Bubs
Old 02-27-2003, 09:35 AM   #15  

Boy this is definitely not my month or week I guess. We now have to replace the back rim on the car today. It started leaking air and I guess the rim was damaged just enough to break the seal! Poo, I had plans for that money today and it was not for the car!

We still have nasty weather here, but at leat the temp is up some so that everything is not freezing. There are a lot of counties around us however that are having pretty bad weather still. I guess it is back to that ole mall again today!

Well, just wanted to peek in. Like the ole song in South Pacific says with a little change, "I'm Gonna Wash this Gray Right out of my Hair." It is about "done" so I need to get it washed out.

Donna
Closed Thread