Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss - Do Stretch Marks Look Remotely Better After You've Lost Weight

Veronica133
01-26-2012, 11:26 PM
For those who have lost weight, did you notice (even the slightest) improvement in stretch marks after you lost weight?

ValRock
01-26-2012, 11:30 PM
They fade in time. Mine were HORRIBLE angry and red and wide. They're still there but you can't tell unless you get close. It'll be ok!

sontaikle
01-27-2012, 09:26 AM
I have a lot on my back (wtf? seriously?) from when I gained a lot of weight in high school. There were always red, deep and quite easy to see.

I noticed recently that they've faded a lot. They're still there, but they're not red anymore (they're white). I've got an olive complexion so you can see them regardless but they've faded a lot. I'm assuming if I were paler skinned they would be even more difficult to see, but I'm not complaining ;)

I had stretch marks on my arms too. Those have faded a LOT. You pretty much need to shove your face in my arms to see them at this point.

Jan2012
02-12-2012, 02:52 PM
My stretch marks now look like 'wrinkles' I guess I would describe it as getting smaller :) When I got a tan , I could notice it more, the marks itself didn't tan, but the skin did, but I agree with them too, you can't really see them unless you get real close!

DrivenByAmbition
02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
I was just noticing this morning looking in the mirror that I can barely see them. Feels good. I was kind of wondering if they are more noticeable after tanning. I was thinking about tanning this summer.

Candeka
02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
It has nothing to do with weight loss but everything to do with time. They fade after time and will go from a deep red/purple color to a white shiny color on most people.

I was just noticing this morning looking in the mirror that I can barely see them. Feels good. I was kind of wondering if they are more noticeable after tanning. I was thinking about tanning this summer.

Yes, tanning makes them more noticeable unfortunately. They will stay white and as your skin gets darker, they will stand out more.

ChangingSkies
02-12-2012, 11:26 PM
Mine went from an angry red and purple to a silvery white. It seems like I've gotten more losing weight than I had when I was big though.

I've started dry body brushing in the last few months and that seems to have really helped a TON! You can still see the shimmer of them in certain light but they aren't even close to as noticeable as they were before I started brushing.

Sukrutha
02-20-2012, 06:33 AM
i had the same question..i have really bad ones

ChickieChicks
02-20-2012, 10:05 AM
I have stretchmarks everywhere, except for my stomach, ironically. I do have one, long thick one on my belly from my 2nd pregnancy, bu tthat's it. My thighs are covered, every square inch. I have some on my breast and even my calves! So weird.

Mine were from pregnancy and subsequent weight gain. It has been 4 years since my last baby and my stretchmarks are so much better! I was crazy-worried that losing weight would make my skin wrinkle up from so many startchmarks, but it really hasn't. Now, if I purposly grab my skin and squich it, yes, you can see how "wrinkly" it is. But just standing up, etc, they have really bounced back.

The color is basically non-existent and only in the right light, can you catch the glimmer of the silvery scars. I thought I would never fell better about them, but honestly, now that I am at my goal weight, almost nothing can bring me down! They are there forever, but I'd rather have them than being large again.

Eurus
02-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Its been a looooong time since mine were red. But they are still there. Its not hard to see them, even tho they are white.
Worst thing you do is to look at yourself when you are standing infront of a mirror, and the sun is shining at you. :S
If you get tan they wont look that good either..

Kissbeth
03-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Mine got a lot better! They are kinda silvery now, plus I moisturize a lot and over time some of them are hardly even noticeable... They look like very faint scars

berryblondeboys
03-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Mine are looking worse while the rest of me looks better. Should clarify, the ones on my thighs and calves are fine. The ones on my under arms and stomach are getting more and more wrinkly as the skin and fat around them shrink up. What is left, is the enormous amount of scar tissue (the silvery scar) which can't shrink up. I got hundreds of stretch marks during pregnancy and that skin is just a mess of loose skin and wrinkly stretch marks. My fantasy of wearing a 2 piece is disappearing as I watch my stomach look worse and worse.

That is my perspective, my husband sees a smaller me and sees muscle definition beginning to show up and he thinks I look great. It's all perspective. And really, I would take the wrinkly stretch any day over the blubbery tummy I had.

fitmom
03-03-2012, 10:38 PM
I think they look more prominent if you have a darker complexion or get a tan. I have medium to light skin and rarely tan so the very few that I have from two pregnancies have faded where you have to get really, really close to see them. My hubby tells me he can't really see them anymore. They go from red to eventually a silvery white.

cherryblossomz
03-19-2012, 08:59 AM
I've had stretch marks since puberty. Haven't noticed a difference since losing weight. They are white/slightly pink-ish but I have them on my inner thighs and hips. Always have. I'm sure I always will. I rub lotion and cocoa butter in daily to prevent them from getting worse but I've definitely come to terms with the stretch marks.

hle82
03-19-2012, 12:43 PM
My stretchmarks faded over time. Not completely gone, the lines are still there... but instead of having the reddish hue, they are more matching with my skintone now. I tried using a few different brands of of stretch mark lotions but they all seemed very gimmicky. Time is your friend on this one.

kindred
03-21-2012, 07:04 PM
They fade and shrink with weight loss and time yes.... I think most of all you become use to them and they do not bother you as much. It helps to compare stretch marks with others lol.... sounds weird but it does. We all have imperfections

Brandis
03-21-2012, 07:14 PM
I have had stretch marks since I was 12. I have suffered with the embarrassment of them for 18 years. I am always self-conscious of them, even though now they are white, where they were the most hideous shade of purple. I have some on my hips that are almost an inch in width. I believe these are genetic, and my growth spurt at puberty triggered them. My mother had the same horrible marks. They do fade, but they never go away. There is some hope that in the future they will have laser treatments to repair the damaged collagen under the skin, and then we will all be free! If it makes you feel any better, I know some really skinny people who have never been heavy that have them too. We just have to come to terms with our bodies, stretch marks or not.

Horo
03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
It is my experience and observation that at first- during and for a while after the weight loss process- they look even worse, and then over time(with diligent moisturizing and such) they continually improve and end up looking much better.

PrincessSophia
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
I've had stretch marks since puberty. Haven't noticed a difference since losing weight. They are white/slightly pink-ish but I have them on my inner thighs and hips. Always have. I'm sure I always will. I rub lotion and cocoa butter in daily to prevent them from getting worse but I've definitely come to terms with the stretch marks.

The same here :(
Ironically, I havent had any stretch marks from my pregnancies. But these old ones look exactly the same

misski
04-12-2012, 05:54 AM
I've had stretch marks since I was at least 4-5. I was overfed as a child so I was always obese. All of my stretch marks have faded except a few on my belly which is slowly fading away. They have ugly indentations, though, which I hope will be removed through laser treatment (if it's worth it).

k8yk
04-12-2012, 01:49 PM
They look much better on me. I hardly notice them. I'm very pale and they've faded to almost match my skin. They look even better when I get a little sun. Not sure if it was time or weight loss, but I've had them since I was a young teen and I'm 34 now.

Butterfly1987
04-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Mine have faded white and some of them silvery.. they could be a lot worse and the only ones that really bother me are ones behind my knees that have been there since puberty..