Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #1  

Question What are your goals gfor 2012?

Hi guys. What do you hope to accomplish this year, in terms of weight loss or health/fitness goals? Are you starting an exercise program? Stop smoking? Or get down to a certain pound in weight? I get very little exercise, and I don't like health clubs. So I am starting out with 30 minutes of walking a day and hope to increase it to an hour when it warms up. And I want to be able to fit into some of my old clothes by autumn. How about anyone else? Please share your thoughts.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 AM   #2  
1 fat guy on a diet

S/C/G: 260/ticker/190

Height: 6'0"

Well I finally quit smoking after 15 years of destroying my heart and lungs. This year I am looking to lose 60-70 lbs hopefully by labor day. I have a closet full of new clothes that I can not fit comfortably in. I should be able to fit nicely in those clothes with a 20-25 lb loss.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249/241/175

Height: 5'7"

I hope to get down to about 180-190 by end of the year. I am at 241 now. Ultimately I'd like to get rid of all or most of my medications, which are gout, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. Also would like not to have to go on Metformin for diabetes, which my doctor is threatening to put me on.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

My Goal is to lose at least 100 lbs. My goal is to lose 230 Lbs in total...very ambitious, but very necessary. I'm hoping to lose way more than 100 this year...maybe like 140 or maybe even 200 (A man can dream!). I'm not sure which program I'm going to try next,if any. Right now I'm just watching calories and it's working slowly...i lose a pound here and there, but honestly I need the structure of a plan, to see a consistent weight loss. I'm just glad I stopped the climb! Each year I was getting heavier and heavier, so at least I'm heading the other way...
Old 01-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Good point! It's my commitment that i need to change. The plans I research are all good plans, i just have a problem with follow through. I may do the Weight Watchers thing since the calorie counting is much more simplified with the points system. Eh. I just need to stay motivated once I'm on the plan...
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #6  
Newbie on the Block

S/C/G: 365/322/250

Height: 6'1"

For me it's an approx 60lb loss by end of year. This would represent the first 60 of a 140lb journey. My ultimate goal would be 220.

I'll take more if I can manage it, but would love to see the scale start with a 2 by New Years Day.

Combo of tracking what I eat with the amazing "MyPlate" tool within livestrong.com and following their caloric recommendations as my weight changes and also a combo of cardio and resistance training.

Other goals include being less isolated and socializing with our friends more than we do (so easy to hibernate), to NOT stress out when I book a flight and wring my hands over whether or not I'll need a seatbelt extender and to not have to make my weight a constant source of worry. Attention, yes... worry, no.

Here we go!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #7  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonC View Post
I am all for your goals, Atomic. Keep me posted. The people here are already helping me. In my thinking, I'm always setting unreasonable goals. Lose 100+ pounds in eight months, etc. Well, 20 years have gone by and I gained more than I lost. I need to be more realistic with my goals and everyone here has helped me. I know what it is like to be 100 or more pounds heavier than one should be. To drop that amount of weight takes incredible perseverance. Group help like WW and TOPS are very helpful I am sure. But they are unavailable where I live. But this forum helps. Thanks for posting.
My initial goal years ago was to educate myself on how to eat properly, i thought if i could just start eating right the weight would have to come off, You see fat has to be maintained like anything and if you are simply eating what you are supposed to the weight will drop, it's not magic.

That said i wasn't even contemplating weight loss, just eating appropriately, along the way you find avenues to explore that help fascilitate a new healthier lifestyle.

Calorie counting, food journaling, walking, increasing activity, removing liquid calories, removing processed foods, removing high calorie condensed foods, increasing ruffage, all kinds of small changes add up to a bigger change, gradual and slow methodology.

For me this year, Hmmm, i have gained around 10 or 15 from my low last summer, i will be back there shortly if i have anything to say about it, i am still exercising regularly ( 7 mile walk everyday ) my main problem is being lazy with food, not spending the time to maximize my enjoyment and nutritional content, it is time consuming but it's what i need to focus on again.

Other than that i am doing alright, could be better but i'm pretty happy with self at this time.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #8  
1 fat guy on a diet

S/C/G: 260/ticker/190

Height: 6'0"

From what I have read, sometimes the "goal" is not the losing weight part, but the staying on plan part. Start a plan, and instead of making the goal "lose 5 pounds this week" make it "stay on plan all week". The weight loss will come!

This is the method I am going to go with, along with weighing just once a week instead of everyday single day like I currently do. Heck, weighing once a month might be better for me actually so I don't alter my plan. Sometimes if I feel I've "been good", I cheat and pig out which throws me right back into my old habits.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #9  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonC View Post
@Resolute Great post! Coming from someone who has had incredible success. I hope I do as well. I'm just starting a walking program, though I find it disheartening to learn that even walking seven miles a day, one can still GAIN weight. yikes.
Thanks for sharing.
Well diet is the most important aspect, exercise doesn't really rule the roost so to speak, what it does do is increase your metabolism and give you a shot of endorphines, positivity goes a long way towards making ones goals reality, i like to think of my walk as somewhat symbolic of my commitment also.

As was said by speed, the plan is whats important, i've said it many times, you m ust find something you can live with and maintain at your worst of worst moments, look at those who are successful, they know and have tabulated the outcome based on physical realities, rather than emotional ups and downs dependant on fluctuations in ones daily life be it mental or physical aborrations. You have to believe it is the right thing to do and see it through regardless of how you feel at any given moment.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

Since I met my weight goal, I'm focusing more on paying off debt. Next year I'd like to buy a new truck.

I may try and get 10 more pounds off to claim that "under 200" weight, but it's not too important. Maintaining the loss I acheived from last year is a meaningful accomplishment in itself.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW 420 324.6/Ticker/250

Height: 6

I'm hoping to make some positive changes and make better decisions this year. I really want to improve myself, not just physically but in other ways as well. I would love to get a handle on my eating and exercising this year and move onto a maintance mindset and life style. Would be great to finally achive something I have battled with for most of my life!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

My goals this year are to be at 8% Body Fat, find a plan that I can maintain long-term, become more physically fit. I didn't really set a hard time-frame for this, but I'm thinking around Thanksgiving. Sooner if I can make it happen, and so far I'm a little ahead of my plan. If I lose on plan, I should be at goal sometime late summer. I highly doubt that I won't run across obstacles that slow my progress from time to time. I just want to make sure I stay the course and get it done.
Closed Thread