Old 01-25-2012, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

Default Eating Dinner

I am wondering if it is bad to not have a big dinner meal. This isn't to say that I don't eat at all in the evenings but I am not generally hungry in the evenings and tend to just eat a couple of snacks.

I get home from work/gym at around 7pm and at that point I don't really feel like making dinner and since I have a 10oz smoothie at the gym I don't really feel hungry.

I usually end up having and apple and peanut butter as a snack when I get home or some a small piece of chicken with frozen veggies. Before bed I usually have cottage cheese and peaches or a banana with milk. I find this is enough for me but I am wondering if it is detrimental to my weight loss efforts.

Just FYI I don't count calories because I go to an obssessively, unhealthy place with it and instead focus on eating whole, low GI, unprocessed foods.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I dont think it is. In fact, many people recommend having a dinner sized lunch and a smaller actual dinner, because you usually need more energy during the day than you do in the evening or when you are asleep. But you are wondering if it might be detrimental to your weight loss? Has your weight loss stalled?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #3  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

I say do whatever works best for you!

I'm a small dinner person as well. I'm currently working in Thailand, a country where eating and snacking is a HUGE part of the culture. During the work day I find myself snacking constantly with my co-workers(the word for snacking is "gin len" or "play eating"), eating a larger lunch (usually rice or noodles with a little bit of meat and lots of veggies). By the time I get home, I find that I'm not very hungry and usually just end up eating yogurt, fruit, or sometimes a smaller serving of oatmeal. Incidentally, this is what many Thai people do as well.

As far as weight loss goes, over the four months that I've been here, I've only lost a couple of pounds. I think most of that is because of the transition to moving to a different country, my weight getting closer to maintenance, and, yes, I'll admit it, not exercising as much as I should be. However, I still feel great and healthy even though my dinners are more like snacks!

I hope you find something that works for you!
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

My weight loss has been a little stagnant of late but that could have to do with a lack of exercise on my part as well. I just don't want something small like not eating a meal for dinner to adversely affect the speed at which I am losing weight.

I talked to one of my co-workers who is from Iran and he told me that the evening meal is usually dried fruit, nuts and sometimes rice but nothing too heavy.

I do find this is what works for me schedule wise, I eat dinner on the weekends but during the week it just isn't a priority and I don't find it all that necessary either.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote