30-Somethings - What's for dinner?

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

kateleestar
01-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Yey, I'm starting a thread! :lol: Anyways, I'm not sure if anyone else does this, but almost every day I search for recipes to make for dinner, be it that day or in the future. I have 1,000's of them saved, lol, and I was thinking - gee, wouldn't it be great to share some of these with my fellow 30 something's? I bet they too have a 'what the crap should i make for dinner' moments sometimes...

So here, I'm going to post what I'm making for dinner. I'll start with last night and then I'll post tonight. Join if you'd like!! :)

Last night:

http://www.marthastewart.com/316179/sesame-shrimp-and-noodles

Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 ounces thin spaghetti (I made a 3/4 a box for the two of us. DH isn't "changing" lol.)
2 tablespoons orange marmalade (I used sugar free.)
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I used kikoman low sodium.)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon red-wine vinegar (I didn't have this, so I used rice wine vinegar!)
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (I used the squeeze tube kind!)
6 ounces medium shrimp (I used 12 shrimps total, for the 2 of us!)
1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips (I used yellow, green and red peppers!)
2 scallions, thinly sliced (I used onions!)

Directions
In a medium pot of boiling salted water, cook spaghetti until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain; return to pot.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together marmalade, soy sauce, oil, vinegar, and ginger. Season with salt and pepper. Add shrimp, bell pepper, and scallions; toss to combine. Transfer to a rimmed (or toaster-oven) baking sheet, and spread in a single layer. Heat broiler (or toaster oven). Broil, 4 inches from heat source, until shrimp are opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. Transfer contents of baking sheet to pot; toss with pasta to combine.

I used already cooked shrimps and added them in at the end, tails removed. I also added a little basil, as I like the heat that it brings in to dishes at the end. I added a ton of red pepper flakes, too, because I eat things very spicy.. but to my own dish only, DH'll cry... lol...

We ate it with a spinach salad with onions, peppers and tomatoes! Delish!

kateleestar
01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Tonight:

You think you don't like cauliflower? Think again. DH and I will eat an entire head, lol...

Side dish one:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/caramelized-cauliflower.html

Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower, about 1 1/2 lb., cored and cut into florets about 1 inch in diameter
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil (I use butter-Pam and spray it into a ziplock baggie)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt (totally needed!)

Directions:
Preheat an oven to 400°F.

Arrange the cauliflower florets in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil evenly over the florets, then sprinkle with the salt. Toss to coat the cauliflower evenly, then spread the florets out evenly.

Roast the cauliflower, stirring 1 or 2 times, until golden brown and crisp-tender, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer the cauliflower to a warmed serving bowl. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

-------------

I use butter-Pam, like I said, and I put 2 or 3 toes of garlic in there too. I end up roasting for 25/30 mins, depending on how dark I want them. Broccoli is also AMAZING this way!

Side dish two:
http://www.food.com/recipe/kale-with-caramelized-onions-and-garlic-51780

I love kale.

1 bunch kale , washed and torn (stems removed)
1 small onion , chopped
3 garlic cloves , chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
balsamic vinegar (optional)

Directions:
1Heat oil in large pan. Remove stems from kale.
2Add chopped onions and garlic.
3Sauté until onions are clear and begin to caramelize. Stir often. Do not allow garlic to burn.
4Add torn kale.
5Toss with onions and garlic.
6Cook until kale is wilted.
7Sprinkle with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar if desired.

I don't use the balsamic vinegar, I don't care for it. I also use Pam, not oil. Super tasty.

Main dish!
http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-meatloaf-54752

2 tablespoons butter (or margarine) (I use Pam!)
1 cup onion , chopped
3 cloves garlic , minced (only 3, LOL)
1 1/4 lbs ground turkey (I use 1lb)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I have used panko, bread crumbs, fiber one, lol...)
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg substitute) (I use egg whites!)
3/4 cup catsup (I've used ketchup and tomato sauce, even salsa!)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
1Melt butter in a skillet.
2Cook onion and garlic in melted butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3Place mixture in a large bowl to cool for 5 minutes.
4Combine turkey, bread crumbs, egg, 1/4 cup of the catsup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper with onion mixture.
5Press meatloaf into an 8x4-inch loaf pan.
6Spread remaining catsup on top.
7Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes.
8(Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.) Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I don't generally let it bake that long, because I don't have a loaf pan, I use a caserole dish, so it's thinner.. like meatloaf strips, LOL... Anyways, all tasty and all healthy. :D

Riddy
01-24-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm experimenting with the pressure cooker I bought last winter. Last night I chunked up pork chops and marinated them in speidie sauce. I stuck the meat in the pressure cooker with some sliced peppers & onions, and cooked some frozen green beans on the stove. My new favorite seasonings are smoked salts and infused olive oils - the green beans got applewood smoked salt and basil olive oil.

Tonight I'm working late, so dinner will be last night's leftovers eaten at work.

kateleestar
01-24-2012, 10:48 AM
I love smoked salts!! And crap, I want a pressure cooker. Does it save you time, do you find?

Hhm.

KayNicole
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Great thread! Pressure cookers save enormous amounts of time. My parents have one and my dad made chicken noodle soup in like 9 minutes! And it tasted like it stewed in a crock pot all day. Very impressive. I also search for recipes every day. I love trying new things. I am going to try your first recipe up there.

LIME CHICKEN TACOS
serves 10

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat - cubed
* 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
* 1/2 lime, juiced
* 1 teaspoon white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 2 green onions, chopped
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 10 (6 inch) flour tortillas
* 1 tomato, diced
* 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
* 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
* 1/4 cup salsa

Directions

1. Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.
2. Heat an iron skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve lime chicken mixture in warm tortillas topped with tomato, lettuce, cheese and salsa.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 204 | Total Fat: 6.8g

kateleestar
01-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Great thread! Pressure cookers save enormous amounts of time. My parents have one and my dad made chicken noodle soup in like 9 minutes! And it tasted like it stewed in a crock pot all day. Very impressive. I also search for recipes every day. I love trying new things. I am going to try your first recipe up there.

Make sure you double the sauce stuff, her site lists it for like, serves 2, lol... We added more soy sauce at the end, too. :) And I'm so adding 'pressure cooker' to my list that of wants that currently includes 'dutch oven'... lol.

And YUM, chicken tacos! I'm stealing that!

Jelma
01-24-2012, 12:58 PM
I have been eating leftovers for days (funeral this weekend, ended up with a ton of food!) so I really want something new. Tonight I am doing steak fajitas and chips with gucamole. I haven't tried this fajita recipe yet-

Steak Fajitas

Ingredients
•1 Tbsp vegetable oil
•1 lb of flank steak, skirt steak or carne asada
•1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced with the grain, not against the grain as one would normally slice an onion. Slice first in half, and then slice off sections a half inch wide at widest point.
•2-3 bell peppers of various colors, stemmed, seeded, de-ribbed, sliced lengthwise into strips
•Salt

Marinade:

•Juice of 1 lime
•2 Tablespoons of olive oil
•2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
•1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
•1/2 fresh Jalapeño pepper, seeded, ribs removed, finely chopped •1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, including stems
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/steak_fajitas/

My Easy Gucamole (measurements are approximate, I just throw it all together until it looks right)
2-3 avocados mashed
2 T store bought salsa (I use Kroger brand medium)
2 T finely diced red onion
options- 1 T cilantro, finely minced jalapeno (fresh or pickled)

kateleestar
01-24-2012, 01:01 PM
I love fajitas... thats one of my always have the stuff for dinners... with corn tortillas, too, its like I'm eating a ton of stuff for so few calories! I love cilantro! Now I want fajitas. Maybe thursday! :D

mammasita
01-24-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh man, I do this everyday too!

Tonight I plan on making either enchilada caser-ole' or Mexican pizzas (both found on pinterest and either one I make will be healthified :))

Mexican Pizza (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jimmys-mexican-pizza/detail.aspx)

Casser-ole' (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Enchilada-Casser-Ole-)

Jelma
01-24-2012, 03:16 PM
It's nice to know I am not the only one out there obsessed with finding new recipes and cooking :D

I love fajitas... thats one of my always have the stuff for dinners... with corn tortillas, too, its like I'm eating a ton of stuff for so few calories! I love cilantro! Now I want fajitas. Maybe thursday! :D

I love corn tortillas. I always used to use flour ones but the calorie difference and taste won me over :) Plus the market down the street from me has homemade ones for $1 and you get probably 15 of them!

KayNicole
01-24-2012, 04:05 PM
looks like we are on a Mexican kick. :) All of this sounds really great, I can't wait to try some of them.

I am sorry to hear about the funeral Jelma.

Mammasita- I love allrecipes, the reviews are so helpful on that site.

Have you ladies tried skinnytaste.com? There are some really great recipes on there!

shanhat81
01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Oh this is a great thread!!!!

Dinner tonight is Antonia Lofaso's chicken meatloaf recipe (I cut the fat by using 1/2 chicken and 1/2 turkey):

via Epicurious and People magazine:

2 lbs. ground lean chicken breast
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 Tbs. chopped marjoram
1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1 Tbs. chopped garlic
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 Tbs. ketchup
Salt and pepper
preparation
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Combine chicken, tomato paste, marjoram, parsley, garlic, onion, Worcestershire sauce, eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Place mixture in a nonstick loaf pan; spread ketchup on top.
3. Bake uncovered for about an hour or until meatloaf is firm to the touch in the center. Let meatloaf settle for to minutes before serving.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/CHICKEN-MEATLOAF-50017560#ixzz1kPkZQACS

Riddy
01-24-2012, 10:48 PM
I love smoked salts!! And crap, I want a pressure cooker. Does it save you time, do you find?

Hhm.

I am loving the pressure cooker. I discovered that the recipes are a little misleading - you really don't "make" chicken marsala in 15 minutes - you have to brown the chicken, add all the other ingredients, wait for the cooker to come up to pressure, cook it for 15 minutes, let it rest, release the pressure, then thicken the sauce. That said, it opens up lots of possibilities for meals that I would never cook on a worknight. (I work til 6 or 7pm most nights.) I can even make meatloaf in it!

I also love my crock pot - I love coming home to dinner's ready. :D

Jelma
01-25-2012, 01:31 PM
looks like we are on a Mexican kick. :) All of this sounds really great, I can't wait to try some of them.

Have you ladies tried skinnytaste.com? There are some really great recipes on there!

Thanks, it my was my boyfriend's mother :( She was sick for a few years.

I love, love skinnytaste!

The fajitas from last night turned out delicious though I probably could have cut back on the oil just a bit.

Thinking of fried rice for dinner since I have leftover rice. I found this on allrecipes.com, it looks like a nice basic recipe I could jazz up a bit

Ingredients
2 cups enriched white rice
4 cups water
2/3 cup chopped baby carrots
1/2 cup frozen green peas
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 eggs
soy sauce to taste
sesame oil, to taste (optional)
Directions
1.In a saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
2.In a small saucepan, boil carrots in water about 3 to 5 minutes. Drop peas into boiling water, and drain.
3.Heat wok over high heat. Pour in oil, then stir in carrots and peas; cook about 30 seconds. Crack in eggs, stirring quickly to scramble eggs with vegetables. Stir in cooked rice. Shake in soy sauce, and toss rice to coat. Drizzle with sesame oil, and toss again.

grneyedmustang
01-25-2012, 01:46 PM
I like this thread! I love to cook and am always looking for new recipe ideas.

I want to try this tonight with whole wheat flour and grouper: - I usually make it with Red Snapper:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tropical-fish-fillets/detail.aspx

And my side dish:

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2006/09/twice-baked-cauliflower-recipe.html

With another side of roasted broccoli. Yum!

Jelma
01-25-2012, 03:55 PM
With another side of roasted broccoli. Yum!

The twice baked cauliflower looks amazing, I am going to have to try that!
I love roasted broccoli. I never even thought of roasting it until a year ago when a friend of mine made it. I also love roasted brussel sprouts, their little leaves get all caramelized and insides all soft, so delicious.

grneyedmustang
01-25-2012, 06:16 PM
The twice baked cauliflower looks amazing, I am going to have to try that!
I love roasted broccoli. I never even thought of roasting it until a year ago when a friend of mine made it. I also love roasted brussel sprouts, their little leaves get all caramelized and insides all soft, so delicious.

You roast almost anything and I'll eat it. :D

kateleestar
01-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Meeee too. Yum. It's how I get DH to eat "gross" things, lol...

And! Tonight! (I tried to post last nights and tonights yesterday but my computer crashed... so I shall try again.)

Tonight, we are having fajitas.

Here's my marinade:

Soy sauce, lime juice, chili powder & red pepper flakes to taste, crushed garlic and a weeeee bit o'veg oil.

Tonights fajitas include zucchini, onion, red, yellow, green and orange peppers, yellow squash, mushrooms and chicken for the DH - but I'll skip it to keep my cals down and things "moving" as I'm SO FLIPPING CLOSE to onederland I can taste it.

Served on corn tortillas with fat free sour cream for DH and greek yogurt for me. We use our favorite hot sauce: http://www.elyucateco.com/english/products/sauces/green-habanero.html (OMG YUM.) (We've been known to use a whole bottle in a sitting. And no, it doesnt hinder my loss, LOL. Love hot sauce.)

I'll be having mine with a big green spinach salad, with tomato, onion, peppers, broccoli, mushrooms and celery, with light great value ranch (yum.) on top. DH is "anti-salad" so he wont be having them. I'm not wasting my veggies if he's not wanting it anyways, you know?

Anyways. Last night's dinner was this:

Really good chicken, but could have been spicier: http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/05/girl-who-didnt-eat-everything.html (I found it on Pintrest!)

With these baked fries: http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/05/girl-who-didnt-eat-everything.html

DH made dinner last night to learn a lesson as to why its okay for me to finally sit down when he comes home... Because I'm up at 5 and I don't stop till he literally sees me sit down, lol. He needed to learn how time consuming it is to plan, purchase, prepare, clean for... Just all of it. He had NO AMERICAN IDEA and then last night, after dinner took him LOL two hours LOL he thanked my for making dinner 6 nights a week for 5 years. I didn't have that big a problem with it, its just a thankless job and it totally doesnt have to be. My dad thanked my mom all the time and told her how good stuff was and I'll be darned if DH doesnt do the same! :lol:

SO.. There's dinner. Have a good one ladies! :D

mammasita
01-26-2012, 01:27 PM

Heck yeah, I love BOTH of those sites!

grneyedmustang
01-26-2012, 03:42 PM
kateleestar, that chicken looks really good! I may try it next week and substitute agave for the honey.

Jelma
01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Served on corn tortillas with fat free sour cream for DH and greek yogurt for me. We use our favorite hot sauce: http://www.elyucateco.com/english/products/sauces/green-habanero.html (OMG YUM.) (We've been known to use a whole bottle in a sitting. And no, it doesnt hinder my loss, LOL. Love hot sauce.)

I like that hot sauce alot, the red one is super hot. Have you tried Sriracha (aka Rooster Sauce) yet? http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm I am obsessed with it. I put it on baked potatoes, anything mexican or asian. I also made a ginger chili paste that I found in my WW magazine the other day. I don't have the recipe handy but I will post it tomorrow if I remember, it is basically ginger, red pepper flakes soaked in boiling water, garlic, rice vinegar and oil. Good, hot and super cheap.

The fried rice from yesterday turned out pretty well. I threw together a quick salad with leaf lettuce, white onion, carrots and celery and served it with Makoto dressing. It is a ginger dressing like what you get at a Japanese steakhouse, super expensive but delish. I can't imagine it would be too hard to make though.

Tonight is my pilates class so it is probably leftover fried rice or fajitas unless I am feeling particularly inspired afterwards.

Riddy
01-26-2012, 09:09 PM
I finally explored the nearby food co-op today. I bought fresh local tofu, local baby spinach and Indian curry sauce. I cooked it all up with red peppers - yum!

Tomorrow night I work late again, so I think I'll have leftover buffalo chicken chili out of the freezer. I've also made it with ground turkey or chopped chicken, and it works in the crock pot, too.

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/recipes/buffalo-chicken-chili/

kateleestar
01-27-2012, 08:21 AM
kateleestar, that chicken looks really good! I may try it next week and substitute agave for the honey.

It was tasty. It formed like a glaze almost. Really moist too, we liked it a lot! (However, I will make it a lot spicier next time!) :)

I like that hot sauce alot, the red one is super hot. Have you tried Sriracha (aka Rooster Sauce) yet? http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm I am obsessed with it. I put it on baked potatoes, anything mexican or asian. I also made a ginger chili paste that I found in my WW magazine the other day. I don't have the recipe handy but I will post it tomorrow if I remember, it is basically ginger, red pepper flakes soaked in boiling water, garlic, rice vinegar and oil. Good, hot and super cheap.

I love the red one for the heat, but I don't like its flavor as much. I'm weird, lol. My absolute fave is so hot my DH can't even have it. I used TWO drops of it on his chicken once and he couldnt eat it, LOL.

And that ginger chili paste sounds spectactular! I love asiany-hot stuff too. :D

I finally explored the nearby food co-op today. I bought fresh local tofu, local baby spinach and Indian curry sauce. I cooked it all up with red peppers - yum!

Tomorrow night I work late again, so I think I'll have leftover buffalo chicken chili out of the freezer. I've also made it with ground turkey or chopped chicken, and it works in the crock pot, too.

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/food/r...chicken-chili/

I love local foods, but tragically for as big as my town is, I've never seen local tofu! I might get DH to try some if I could get it local, lol.. The packages at the store creep him out. And MMMM I love curry. It's so delish!!

Tonight I'm going out for a b-day dinner, at a local italian place. I was there once maybe 15/18 years ago, and I couldnt tell you what I got, lol... Here's the menu: http://www.luigisrestaurant.com/Menu_.html I might just get a big salad, no cheese. UGH. I'm tempted to get a side salad and the spaghetti with plain sauce, but I don't know how much sugar they use in it, so I can't get my calories right. BOO. HISS. I hate when I can't plan, lol. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm not a big meat eater, so keep that in mind, lol. :D

Jelma
01-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Tonight I'm going out for a b-day dinner, at a local italian place. I was there once maybe 15/18 years ago, and I couldnt tell you what I got, lol... Here's the menu: http://www.luigisrestaurant.com/Menu_.html I might just get a big salad, no cheese. UGH. I'm tempted to get a side salad and the spaghetti with plain sauce, but I don't know how much sugar they use in it, so I can't get my calories right. BOO. HISS. I hate when I can't plan, lol. Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm not a big meat eater, so keep that in mind, lol. :D

That menu sounds deadly, mmmm fried cheese sticks. What about the spaghetti marinara? Maybe you could ask for light oil, it probably is made to order.

Lost a pound this week :carrot: I have been losing and gaining the same two pounds for months now, I have to admit I haven’t been particularly diligent in my weight loss effort. I think the loss was due to packing lunch and eating at home every day this week. And no alcohol this month.

Tonight it is probably whatever we scrounge up or Indian food (hopefully!)

kateleestar
01-27-2012, 09:42 AM
That menu sounds deadly, mmmm fried cheese sticks. What about the spaghetti marinara? Maybe you could ask for light oil, it probably is made to order.

I'm down to getting the big antipasto salad, taking off most of the cheese, only eating part of the meats, NO OLIVES BARF, adding mushrooms and onions and getting the dressing on the side. I'm not really a huge dressing person, so I'll be good. I'll chalk it up to like, 800 or 1,000 cals and call it a day, lol. I'm not going to worry that much about it, but for the life of me, I have to stay on track because I'm so close to onederland. And I'm gonna make it there next week!! :carrot:

:)

Munchy
01-27-2012, 10:14 AM
LEFTOVERS!

I love the WW one point chili, though I'm not on WW. It's awesome! I always use 1lb of turkey and two cans of black beans and approximate 100 calories/serving instead.

Minutes to Cook: 30
Number of Servings: 20

Ingredients
10 ounces extra-lean ground turkey breast
1 medium onion, diced
2 (28-oz) cans diced tomatoes
2 medium zucchini, diced
2 medium yellow squash diced
1 (15 oz) can black beans
2 (15-oz) cans fat-free, reduced-sodium
beef broth
4 celery stalks, diced
2 green bell peppers, diced
1 (1 1/4-oz) package dry chili seasonings

Directions
Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and onion and saute' until browned, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the browned turkey and onion mixture to a large soup pot and add the tomatoes, zucchini, squash, beans, broth, celery, bell peppers, and chili seasoning. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes

Serves 20.

Nutritional Info
* Servings Per Recipe: 20
* Amount Per Serving
* Calories: 76.5
* Total Fat: 1.3 g
* Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
* Sodium: 321.2 mg
* Total Carbs: 10.7 g
* Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
* Protein: 6.5 g

Riddy
01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm trying a new pressure cooker recipe tonight. Rosemary pot roast - onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt & pepper, fresh rosemary, beef stock and red wine. I added sliced mushrooms. I'm going to make gravy with the liquid and put it over mashed cauliflower. The gravy has a little dijon mustard in it. It's got an hour to go, but the house smells like rosemary already - smells so good!

KayNicole
01-30-2012, 11:49 AM
OK I am having a hungry day and I don't know why I am torturing myself this early in the morning but I can't wait for dinner tonight! lol I have a bunch of shrimp to use so I am doing this tonight...

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/bangin-good-shrimp.html

grneyedmustang
01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
OK I am having a hungry day and I don't know why I am torturing myself this early in the morning but I can't wait for dinner tonight! lol I have a bunch of shrimp to use so I am doing this tonight...

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/05/bangin-good-shrimp.html

Mmmm...that looks really good!

I think dinner is going to be a lean steak, a salad, and some sort of roasted veggie.

kateleestar
01-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Tonight's dinner shall be...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Linguine-ai-Frutti-di-Mare-238646

We are skipping the muscles, because I didn't see any at my store, and I'm adding more shrimp. Subbing the booze for chicken broth and adding in some fresh tomatoes and mushrooms.

With a big spinach salad on the side.

And this week DH is going out of town for work so I'll be able to eat OP ALL WEEK!!! :carrot: So I'm hoping to be out of the 200's before he comes back late Saturday night. :D

Happy cooking everyone!

grneyedmustang
01-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Tonight's dinner shall be...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Linguine-ai-Frutti-di-Mare-238646

That looks really good too! I may put that on next week's menu, minus the mussels. I tried to cook my own mussels about 6 months ago. It was a BIG BUCKET OF FAIL. Now I usually just go pay someone else to cook them for me.

kateleestar
01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
That looks really good too! I may put that on next week's menu, minus the mussels. I tried to cook my own mussels about 6 months ago. It was a BIG BUCKET OF FAIL. Now I usually just go pay someone else to cook them for me.

LOL. It turned out pretty good, DH went back for seconds and didn't realize that it was whole wheat pasta, lol....

I only had one mussel, 2 clams, 4 shrimps and a few baby scallops. I'd rather have the veggies and stuff, because I'm weird, lol.

Tonight's dinner, is DH free. He's leaving to go to another state to train some peeps at another branch of the company we work for. SO... I get to eat as good as I want this week! YEY!

Tonight, I'll be having spaghetti squash/wheat pasta mix topped with spinach, ricotta and DelGrosso tomato sauce (my family's fave sauce, true story.). With a nice giant spinach salad with onion, tomato, celery, carrots, yellow, red and green peppers, broccoli and croutons. TASTY. :D

I'm thinking tomorrow I'll have leftovers or make sweet potato fries (I bought a giant bag of frozen ones, and DH wont touch them, lol), with this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/cauliflower-fritters-25.html

Or I'll make veggie fajitas, again, because I'm nuts. LOL.

Have a good day everyone!

Munchy
01-31-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm having chicken, cauliflower, pea curry with brown rice.

kateleestar
01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Yum Munchy! I love cauliflower... Mmm.

I also just found this chicken recipe, it sounds delish! http://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-moroccan-chicken-120343

Maybe I'll have that with my SP fries tomorrow! woot!

Jelma
01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Since the high today is going to be an unbelievable 63 degrees today I am grilling out steak! I have a nice large grass fed top sirloin I am thinking about serving with roasted brussel sprouts and a baked potato or sweet potato.

Last night I made baked penne with sausage. I think I may have finally perfected my sauce for it-

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 medium onion chopped
1/4 c red wine (used merlot)
4 cloves garlic chopped
3/4 pound sausage (used grass fed beef)
1 T brown sugar
1/4 t thyme
1/2 t basil
1 T oregano
salt & pepper to taste

1) brown sausage, drain off most of the fat
2) add onion and garlic to pan, sauté until softened
3) add red wine, brown sugar & tomato paste, cook until starts to caramelize, 2 minutes or so
4) add diced tomatoes & sauce
5) simmer 20 minutes

To make the baked penne just cook penne while sauce is simmering to al dente. Mix with sauce and top with mozzarella and shredded parmesan, bake at 350F for 20-25

What I like about this sauce is it isn't watery like ones I've made in the past. I think it is because of the amount of tomato paste used.

Jelma
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
I also just found this chicken recipe, it sounds delish! http://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-moroccan-chicken-120343

That sounds amazing!

Munchy
01-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Yum Munchy! I love cauliflower... Mmm.

Me too - and so does my four year old! She eats it roasted (she even told the doctor that it along with broccoli were her favorite foods), but I also love how it just blends into foods I make for her: cheese sauce for mac and cheese, and ground chicken/veggie patties and "sausages." :D

Riddy
01-31-2012, 08:37 PM
So the pressure cooker rosemary pot roast was fantastic! I had leftovers last night, and will again tomorrow.

Tonight I cooked up a tuna steak with island seasoning in the cast iron frying pan. On the side I wilted spinach in garlic & olive oil.

kateleestar
02-01-2012, 08:24 AM
Me too - and so does my four year old! She eats it roasted (she even told the doctor that it along with broccoli were her favorite foods), but I also love how it just blends into foods I make for her: cheese sauce for mac and cheese, and ground chicken/veggie patties and "sausages." :D

Thats awesome! And I was that little kid. My parents like a lot of veggies, and it was always a common thing to have a salad, a veggie side and then whatever was the "main" for dinner. I'm glad my mom gave me my love of veggies... Even at 279, I ate veggies like it was going out of style, lol... except lima beans, omg gross, :lol:.

So the pressure cooker rosemary pot roast was fantastic! I had leftovers last night, and will again tomorrow.

Tonight I cooked up a tuna steak with island seasoning in the cast iron frying pan. On the side I wilted spinach in garlic & olive oil.

I love love love rosemary. I have a plant here in my office, and its a rosemary.. bush.. and I take home sprigs and make rosemary potatoes, or chicken.. or mashed potatoes! With garlic, too. YUM. And I love that if I eat fish, like tuna steak or fish tacos with cod, it doesn't ever make me feel weighed down, you know? Love that.

And tonight, still DH free, I'm having:

This: http://www.food.com/recipe/savory-roasted-butternut-squash-cluck-473231 but without the bullion cube, I already have an open box-o-broth in my fridge and this will use it up nicely. I'll also sub the oil for Pam spray, and no syrup. I'm good, lol.

I'll also be having some cream of mushroom soup, but I need to search out a better recipe. Or I have a can of progresso, lol.. We'll see what happens. Might have a grilled cheese sandwich too, its a play it by ear night. I do have to use that squash up, lol, I've had it since November! :lol:

And, as always, my daily spinach salad. :D I love saving my calories for night AND eating mostly veggies so I can eat so much. Yey!

Munchy
02-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Thats awesome! And I was that little kid. My parents like a lot of veggies, and it was always a common thing to have a salad, a veggie side and then whatever was the "main" for dinner. I'm glad my mom gave me my love of veggies... Even at 279, I ate veggies like it was going out of style, lol... except lima beans, omg gross, :lol:.

Ha, I know!! Eww!

Tonight is Trader Joe's mandarin orange chicken, sticky rice, and roasted broccoli. You know I'm lazy when I'm depending on someone else's frozen food :)

Riddy
02-01-2012, 10:37 AM
This: http://www.food.com/recipe/savory-roasted-butternut-squash-cluck-473231 but without the bullion cube, I already have an open box-o-broth in my fridge and this will use it up nicely. I'll also sub the oil for Pam spray, and no syrup. I'm good, lol.

Have you ever tried Better than Boullion? It's concentrated beef, chicken, veggie, turkey base. It comes in a little glass jar, and you mix 1 teaspoon with 1 cup water to make stock. A jar is about $5, keeps a year in the fridge, and works out to be much cheaper than premade stock or broth. Saves cupboard space, too. Can you tell I'm in love with this stuff? ;)

kateleestar
02-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Ha, I know!! Eww!

Tonight is Trader Joe's mandarin orange chicken, sticky rice, and roasted broccoli. You know I'm lazy when I'm depending on someone else's frozen food :)

Ugh, lima beans and olives. I CANT STAND the texture, bleck.

And that Trader Joe's orange chicken is good. Thats one of the things I've actually had from there. The closest Trader Joes is a good 50 mins from us, so.... that never happens, lol.

Have you ever tried Better than Boullion? It's concentrated beef, chicken, veggie, turkey base. It comes in a little glass jar, and you mix 1 teaspoon with 1 cup water to make stock. A jar is about $5, keeps a year in the fridge, and works out to be much cheaper than premade stock or broth. Saves cupboard space, too. Can you tell I'm in love with this stuff? ;)

I have this stuff that sounds similar.. its from Amish country near my house. It's in a little canister. I don't know the brand name, but its the same brand I remember seeing my grandma use when I was a teeny kid. I know chicken has a blue and white label, and veggie has a green and white label, lol... Not helpful at all! ;)

I only bought the box-o-broth stuff because EarthFare was having a big sale, I had a coupon too.. I think I paid like, $1 for these 2 huge boxes. I like the boxes too cause I can just flip the little lid closed and stick it in the fridge! (And I LOVE EarthFare. We got one last September, and it's pretty awesome.)

Jelma
02-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Riddy - where do you find the Better than Boullion? I always buy 3-4 cartons of stock and it does take up alot of room in my pantry.

kateleestar - that's funny, I have a butternut squash that I have had for awhile that I was thinking about using tonight. I usually make this recipe with some minor alterations http://allrecipes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-risotto-2/

So tonight is either butternut squash risotto with a green salad or leftovers.

kateleestar
02-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Oooo. Risotto. I'm saving that! :) Thanks!

grneyedmustang
02-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Here's my dinner:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blackened-salmon-fillets/detail.aspx - using Smart Balance and a little olive oil in place of the butter.

With a side of roasted cauliflower and a cucumber salad or asparagus.

I made these asparagus last night and they were great, so I might make them again:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/asparagus-with-garlic-and-onions/detail.aspx

Riddy
02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Jelma, my regular grocery store carries the Better than Boullion right in the same section as the broth and stock-in-a-box. The health food stores here carry the organic varieties.

It looks like you can buy them online, too. http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon/premium-bases

Tomorrow night I'm working til 7, so I think I'll make tofu veggie soup in the Vitamix blender, either roasted red pepper or spinach.

kateleestar
02-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Oh, I so want a VitaMix blender. To the point I'm planning on driving up to cleveland the next time they have the big sale and just buying one. It's a problem, my desire for that thing, lol....

And, still DH free, I will be having:

An entire frozen bag of brussel sprouts, browned in a pan with onions. I usually rinse them off outta the bag, cut them in 1/2 and cut off any little hard stems. I spray a big flat pan with Pam and lay them cut/flat side down until they are dark brown. I remove them and add a little more Pam, and saute onions and chopped garlic and then add the BS's back in just as the onions are finishing up. LOVE. <3 brussel sprouts.

So I'll have that, and I have some leftover sauteed veggies in my fridge, and a 1/2 a jar of tomato sauce, so I'll likely have "italian vegetables" as my family calls it, lol. A random assortment of veggies, topped with marinara sauce.

:crossed: for 199 THIS WEEK! :carrot:

grneyedmustang
02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Dinner tonight is a "chicken fajita stir fry" (fajita meat and veggies/pico de gallo and a small bit of cheese without the tortillas), with asparagus and brown rice. Here's the fajita recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/pollo-fajitas/detail.aspx

kateleestar
02-02-2012, 03:11 PM
LOVE any kind of fajitas. It's a problem. That and spaghetti are my 'go to' when I'm all 'what the hecks are we eating for dinner!?'

:D

Riddy
02-02-2012, 09:01 PM
Kate, I adore that Vitamix. It took a while to talk myself into it, but it's great. It makes a fantastic smoothie - protein powder, milk, frozen berries and spinach - yum! If you use blueberries or blackberries, it even hides the spinach color. :D

It makes great hummus, and I just love this veggie soup for late nights. It's just 2 cups of broth, 1 box of frozen spinach/1 jar roasted reds/1 pkg shrooms, 1 juice-box sized brick of tofu, 1 tsp corn starch, and seasonings. Let 'er rip for 9 minutes, and dinner's done. Top with shredded cheddar. It makes a very filling 3 bowls of soup, for only about 300 calories!

kateleestar
02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Kate, I adore that Vitamix. It took a while to talk myself into it, but it's great. It makes a fantastic smoothie - protein powder, milk, frozen berries and spinach - yum! If you use blueberries or blackberries, it even hides the spinach color. :D

It makes great hummus, and I just love this veggie soup for late nights. It's just 2 cups of broth, 1 box of frozen spinach/1 jar roasted reds/1 pkg shrooms, 1 juice-box sized brick of tofu, 1 tsp corn starch, and seasonings. Let 'er rip for 9 minutes, and dinner's done. Top with shredded cheddar. It makes a very filling 3 bowls of soup, for only about 300 calories!

Ugh, now I want it more, lol. The VitaMix factory is near Cleveland, and its only about 40 mins away from me. Once in a while they have a reconditioned sale, and they sell them for like $250. SO worth it. I'm going to start paying attention to the sale dates, now, lol...

And hummus making has killed 2 blenders now. I got a little magic bullet stlye one, from Target called the Bella, and I use it solely for making pesto and hummus. It's worked like a charm, but I dont have any room for it, LOL.

One day, vitamix... one day. :)

And dinner tonight:

I have about 3 oz of wheat spaghetti left over from earlier in the week. I'll bake that with some roasted veggies and some sauce, topped with low fat mozz cheese. SO tasty.

Also? I'm at 200.0. EVEN. I gotta watch my sodium today, lol... SO want to see that 199!!

kateleestar
02-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Tonight's dinner:

(So looking forward to this one, lol)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/cuban-sandwich-quesadilla.html

I'm making them on our quesadilla maker, which I love. We aren't using the roasted pork, only the ham and turkey and toppings. I'm not a roast-pieces-of-pork-fan, lol.

We are eating it with a big spinach salad, as usual, and I'm having either sweet potato fries or "smashed" potatoes... Which are potatoes that have been baked with kosher salt on them at a high heat. I usually make them with red skin potatoes. I wash the taters, rub them in kosher salt, bake them at 450 until they are fork tender. Then I take them out and literally SMASH THEM FLAT with my potato masher or a heavy can or a heavy glass, lol, and then once they are all flat, I sprinkle them with s&p, a little garlic powder and pop them back in a 350 oven until they get brown and crispy. LOVE. Sometimes I put rosemary on them too. Yum.

DH wont go near sweet potato fries, so I might just make the other, so its less work, lol. :)

What are YOU having for dinner?

cookiedough34
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
we are having Diet Coke Chicken

Diet Coke Chicken (BBQ)

Servings | 2
Estimated POINTS® value per serving |

(only points are the chicken)
120 grams raw chicken breast is 4pp

2 Medium Chicken Breasts

1 Medium Red Onion

6 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup

Can of Diet Coke (Not Pepsi Max or Coke zero – too sweet)

Couple of dashes of Worcester Sauce (to taste)

1. Dice chicken and slice onion and brown off in Frylight.

2. Add Ketchup and diet coke and Worcester Sauce

3. cook on high heat to reduce the sauce stirring to ensure it does not burn

4. Once it has gotten to a thick consistency (sticky) then serve.

its lovely and so easy to make

Great thread loads of lovey recipies for me to try

kateleestar
02-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Ooo. This sounds good... sort of like a glaze it forms, I bet. I shall be adding this to the 'easy tasty list' which is where I keep all the recipes of things I always have on hand.

THANKS! :)

grneyedmustang
02-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Kate, good luck with that 199 :D

Last night's dinner:
Lemon Ginger Shrimp http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-ginger-shrimp/detail.aspx
Asparagus (this is one of my new faves: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/asparagus-with-garlic-and-onions/detail.aspx)
Roasted Cauliflower http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/01/recipe-for-roasted-cauliflower-with.html

Tonight's dinner:
Filet Mignon
Roasted Potatoes
Asparagus (same as above)
Roasted Broccoli (Similar to the roasted cauliflower from above, except for with broccoli)

kateleestar
02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
I actually made it there last saturday! It was pretty sweet, lol. I did a little dance!

Munchy
02-08-2012, 10:13 AM
Last night I made a quesadilla with some leftover chicken I had. I sauteed red and green peppers, lots of mushrooms, spinach, scallions, jalapenos, then put it between two trader joe's low carb tortillas with the chicken, cilantro, and RF Mexican blend cheese and ate it with salsa. Mmm!

Tonight is planned as spinach ravioli, most of the same veggies above, all mixed into tomato sauce. I may just scratch that and make a bbq chicken wrap or a Thai chicken wrap (peanut butter, soy sauce, water, sriracha, and agave mixed as a sauce) with the chicken and a big handful of broccoli slaw, finished with mint and basil.

I'm kind of in the mood for a big wrap and I have 3oz of cooked chicken that has to be used today or thrown away.

kateleestar
02-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Tonight is what I like to call 'spaghetti bake'... I throw everything I'd put into spaghetti, plus a ton of roasted veggies, into a casserole dish and top it with a little low fat mozz cheese and bake it. I 1/2 out the pasta for spaghetti squash, and you can hardly tell. DH didn't even know last time we had it, LOL.

Veggies include but are not limited to: (lol)

spinach
red peppers
green peppers
eggplant
yellow peppers
zucchini
yellow squash
a TON of garlic cloves, LOL (love garlic.)
broccoli
cauliflower
onions - red and yellow
spaghetti squash

Love it. So tasty, fairly low cal and lower in carbs. It tastes like I'm eating some high cal high fat italian dish and I'M NOT! Lol.. I usually add a little ricotta cheese, low fat kind, into the sauce that I mix in. It makes it so creamy. YUM. I roast the veggies at 400 for 15 or so mins, till they get all brown and carmelized. I mix them with a jar of DelGrosso (http://www.delgrossos.com/) sauce and then stir in the spaghetti squash, pasta and ricotta. I put it in a casserole dish and bake it at 350 for 10 - 15 mins, just to melt the cheese. I serve it with a nice big salad and extra sauce on the side... were saucy people, haha.

ames
02-09-2012, 09:26 AM
we are having Diet Coke Chicken

Diet Coke Chicken (BBQ)

Servings | 2
Estimated POINTS® value per serving |

(only points are the chicken)
120 grams raw chicken breast is 4pp

2 Medium Chicken Breasts

1 Medium Red Onion

6 Tbsp Tomato Ketchup

Can of Diet Coke (Not Pepsi Max or Coke zero – too sweet)

Couple of dashes of Worcester Sauce (to taste)

1. Dice chicken and slice onion and brown off in Frylight.

2. Add Ketchup and diet coke and Worcester Sauce

3. cook on high heat to reduce the sauce stirring to ensure it does not burn

4. Once it has gotten to a thick consistency (sticky) then serve.

its lovely and so easy to make

Great thread loads of lovey recipies for me to try

I made this last night - it was good. Although it didn't get sticky, just thickened up (I think real coke would get sticky because of the sugar). I added mushrooms and red peppers.

Thanks!

Munchy
02-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Tonight is what I like to call 'spaghetti bake'... I throw everything I'd put into spaghetti, plus a ton of roasted veggies, into a casserole dish and top it with a little low fat mozz cheese and bake it. I 1/2 out the pasta for spaghetti squash, and you can hardly tell. DH didn't even know last time we had it, LOL.

Veggies include but are not limited to: (lol)

spinach
red peppers
green peppers
eggplant
yellow peppers
zucchini
yellow squash
a TON of garlic cloves, LOL (love garlic.)
broccoli
cauliflower
onions - red and yellow
spaghetti squash

Love it. So tasty, fairly low cal and lower in carbs. It tastes like I'm eating some high cal high fat italian dish and I'M NOT! Lol.. I usually add a little ricotta cheese, low fat kind, into the sauce that I mix in. It makes it so creamy. YUM. I roast the veggies at 400 for 15 or so mins, till they get all brown and carmelized. I mix them with a jar of DelGrosso (http://www.delgrossos.com/) sauce and then stir in the spaghetti squash, pasta and ricotta. I put it in a casserole dish and bake it at 350 for 10 - 15 mins, just to melt the cheese. I serve it with a nice big salad and extra sauce on the side... were saucy people, haha.:D

I make this recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-penne-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe/index.html) which is kind of similar (but not as low cal), but the reason why I love it so much is the fontina and smoked mozz. If you had a few extra calories, I bet that would be a good swap!

I ended up having the spinach ravioli with veggies last night and the bbq chicken wrap for breakfast this morning ;)

cookiedough34
02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
I made this last night - it was good. Although it didn't get sticky, just thickened up (I think real coke would get sticky because of the sugar). I added mushrooms and red peppers.

Thanks!

Yeah i was thinking that also but too scared to try lol because of the sugar might give it a try next week and take the points out my weeklys.

grneyedmustang
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
So I'm trying something different, I'm marinating a salmon filet in fajita marinade. I hope it's good, LOL.

Going to serve it with roasted broccoli and greek salad: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/good-for-you-greek-salad/detail.aspx

That chicken sure sounds yummy. Might be sunday dinner...Kate, those smashed potatoes sound really good too. :)

Munchy
02-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I'll probably cook tonight. I'm off tomorrow (and my daughter is still in school) so I can whip something up. Maybe I'll make Puerto Rican rice and beans.

LAgreeneyes
02-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Taco Soup

Riddy
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
So Thursday and Friday were leftovers out of the freezer - chicken ginger cauliflower curry on Thursday, turkey chili Friday.

Today I worked, so dinner was pretty simple - steak over salad. NY strip steak cooked in a cast iron skillet. I seasoned it first with smoked salt, pepper, garlic & onion powder. The salad was arugula, yellow cherry tomatoes, celery, a few curry cashews, capers, and a pinch each of shredded cheddar and parmesan. Homemade salad dressing - blackberry ginger balsamic vinegar, harissa infused EVOO, ghost salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil. Nothing fussy, but very easy and yummy. I splurged on the beverage - a very hoppy ale. Mmmmm, haven't had a beer in a while. :drinkup:

Jelma
02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Jelma, my regular grocery store carries the Better than Boullion right in the same section as the broth and stock-in-a-box. The health food stores here carry the organic varieties.

Thanks Riddy, I will have to remember to look next time I go shopping. I actually went to the grocery yesterday but forgot to look.

Last night I made a roast in my slow cooker for the first time. It was wonderful. I have not had the best of luck in the past with it. Here is the recipe I used-

3 pound grassfed bottom round roast
1 onion sliced
1 bay leaf
1 cup water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Salt
Pepper
2 cloves garlic, sliced

Rub roast with salt and pepper, cut small slits into the meat and stick the garlic in.

Layer the bottom of the slow cooker with the onion, place roast on top, add water, soy sauce and bay leaf.

Cook on low for 10 hours.

I served it with mashed potatoes and my sis made spanish rice. I also made a carrot cake.

Tonight my bf and I are going out to dinner, Maggiano's Little Italy. There is nothing low calorie there! Their chicken and spinach manicotti is wonderful, I always add artichokes to it.

Tuesday I will probably make 3 ways - Cincinnati chili (I make mine with turkey), spagetti & cheese or 5 ways which add kidney beans and onions.
Here is the recipe that I tweaked - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cincinnati-chili-i/detail.aspx For it to be more authentic, omit the onion and boil the meat in the stock and tomato sauce.

grneyedmustang
02-13-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm supposed to be doing meatless mondays, but I really want these shrimp, so "meatless" will be Tuesday.

Tonight's dinner:
Lemon Ginger Shrimp: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-ginger-shrimp/detail.aspx
Roasted Cauliflower
Greek Salad

kateleestar
02-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Oooh, shrimps! Love shrimps. :)

And tonight we are having leftovers.... joy. Tomorrow I have a recipe in mind, but I have to find it for you guys -and myself- first! :D

Riddy
02-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Mustang, I went meatless for you tonight! :D I made broccoli/shroom tofu soup in the Vitamix, topped with shredded swiss and parmesan cheese. That silly soup method is now my go-to dinner when I work til 7pm.

And those shrimp look really good. I LOVE anything gingery.

kateleestar
02-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Tonight's dinner:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/crock-pot-chicken-la-criolla.html I'm not making it in a crock pot, though. For one, DH doesnt like things "on" while no one is home, eyeroll lol, but I don't have time in the morning to make dinner. I'm already up at 5, lets sleep in a little bit... haha. So I'll be making it in a big heavy bottomed pot. :)

With these on the side, instead of pasta or rice.. Were cutting carbs a wee little bit in this house, lol:

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/veggie-pancakes-1022637/

I'm not using as much flour, I'm not using cornmeal. These will be modified to be mainly veggies. I might blend up some cauliflower for added texture.. And there will be cheese, but I'm not a cheddar gal so I'll be using mozz (2% reduced fat!)...

We will, as always, have a big spinach salad. YUM.

grneyedmustang
02-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Riddy - thanks for the "meatless" support. LOL :) Those shrimp are REALLY yummy...they are one of my favorite recipes.

Kate, that chicken crock pot recipe looks really good...yum! Let us know how it turns out, as well as the veggie pancakes.

My dinner tonight is going to be pretty simple - grilled salmon, asparagus, roasted broccoli, and a salad.

Munchy
02-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Shepherd's pie - I always add finely minced mushrooms (50:50 ratio) to my ground turkey (I don't like ground beef) and make a simple beef gravy.

I made it yesterday and didn't have a chance to eat it yet. It's today's plan! :)

kateleestar
02-14-2012, 01:11 PM
I don't like ground beef either! Its not a texture thing, cause I'll eat ground turkey, or a taste thing, cause I'll eat a steak. Its... I have no idea. I dislike ground beef, lol. My DH is always 'no one else likes ground OTHER MEATS but not ground beef but YOU!' and now I can be all 'nuh-huh, I totally know another person!' :lol:

LAgreeneyes
02-14-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't like ground beef either! Its not a texture thing, cause I'll eat ground turkey, or a taste thing, cause I'll eat a steak. Its... I have no idea. I dislike ground beef, lol. My DH is always 'no one else likes ground OTHER MEATS but not ground beef but YOU!' and now I can be all 'nuh-huh, I totally know another person!' :lol:

I'm the same as you. I don't like ground beef. It has a rubbery chew to it. I only eat ground turkey.

Munchy
02-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Ha! It's the smell for me. The smell of ground beef cooking is just awful! And the meat is just so flavorless and dry. Eww!

mammasita
02-14-2012, 03:06 PM
Kate!!! OMG, I roasted pork (pernil) on Sunday and made the Cuban Quesadilla Sunday night. Tonight we're having the green chile enchiladas (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/06/chicken-and-white-bean-enchiladas-with.html) from skinnytaste - I subbed pork for the chicken since we have so much left over. Those cuban Q-dillas were AWESOME though.

Munchy
02-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Mammasita, I made those enchiladas before and they were so-so. Her zucchini enchiladas are THE BEST, but the regular (red sauce) enchiladas are really good too.

mammasita
02-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Mammasita, I made those enchiladas before and they were so-so. Her zucchini enchiladas are THE BEST, but the regular (red sauce) enchiladas are really good too.

YUMMY. I didn't see the zucchini enchiladas but I will definitely look and try it. I love zucchini!!

shanhat81
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Zucchini enchiladas sound amazeballs!!!

I am going out for Cajun tonight (longstanding V day tradition), but will be ordering a SMALL portion of shrimp Creole!

kateleestar
02-15-2012, 08:41 AM
First, LOL 2 amazeballs.

Second, I'm doing a combo of the skinnytaste green chili chicken ones, and adding things from this one: http://www.chef-in-training.com/2011/08/cheesy-green-chile-chicken-enchiladas.html

I'm keeping the beans and making them spicier, but I want a more creamy sauce, so I'll keep the cream cheese... yum.

I think we will just have that tonight, with a salad. Maybe I'll cram some extra veggies in it too. Mushrooms, zucchini and such. I'm using the chicken from leftovers last night... and WHOO was that chicken good. Highly recommended! :)

mammasita
02-15-2012, 09:08 AM
I actually really LOVED the green chili enchiladas from skinnytaste. They were "amazeballs" (I laughed really loudly out loud when I read that).

Tonight will probably be leftovers and some kale chips.

kateleestar
02-15-2012, 09:14 AM
I love kale chips... to the point that I've made them, like a triple batch, and taken them to parties and people have NO IDEA they are kale, and then are all 'omg, what?!' :lol:

Munchy
02-15-2012, 09:29 AM
I actually really LOVED the green chili enchiladas from skinnytaste. They were "amazeballs" (I laughed really loudly out loud when I read that).

Tonight will probably be leftovers and some kale chips.

You know what, I made them without the jalapeno (serving a non-heat-lover) and maybe that's why they were just okay. I'm going to try them again with plenty of chiles. I am obsessed with heat. :)

Munchy
02-15-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm probably going to make dal with cauliflower, but not sure if I'll eat it tonight. It depends on my timing. Maybe I'll have a chicken/mushroom/sun dried tomato/spinach type of mish-mash.

mammasita
02-15-2012, 09:35 AM
You know what, I made them without the jalapeno (serving a non-heat-lover) and maybe that's why they were just okay. I'm going to try them again with plenty of chiles. I am obsessed with heat. :)

I'm a heat lover too....I actually doubled the green chiles AND used more jalapeno than what was called for. Delish.

cookiedough34
02-15-2012, 09:36 AM
i am going to make chicken in a philadelphia sauce with mushrooms and pasta.

kateleestar
02-15-2012, 01:38 PM
I eat spicy things too! I love them.. the hotter the better. So awesome. Sometimes to the point where no one else will be able to eat it. Or I'll get weird looks when I'm at indian and thai places and I say things like "hotness of 10." or at the mexican place and DH and I use a whole bottle of habenero sauce, LOL. <3

Anywho, are you using that cooking creme, cookie? Let us know how it is. I've been meaning to try it... I use cream cheese in stuff lots of times and it might be handier to use the little tub! :)

shanhat81
02-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Chicken and dumplings lite tonight. I think I posted the recipe earlier in the thread!

Riddy
02-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Going out for dinner tonight - it's Wednesday night trivia with some coworkers. If they don't have an appropriate special, I'll get the Mediterranean steak salad.

Tomorrow I have to eat and run, so I'm trying something new - a recipe for fake Vietnamese-ish lettuce wraps that Kaplods posted in the food section.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/shoestring-meals/252618-lazy-sort-vietnamese-lettuce-wraps.html

And Kate, I ADORE my crock pot! Looking forward to trying your recipe!

kateleestar
02-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Hello allllll!

Tonight's dinner is my take on this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-penne-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe/index.html

I'll be using whole wheat pasta, and left over veggies re-seasoned from Tuesday's dinner. I don't use fontina cheese, I just use mozz because I always have it around the house. I use jarred sauce, but more than what it calls for because we are a saucy family! I also don't put the butter on top or any of that.

And Riddy? That chicken was AWESOME that night, but I used the leftovers in the enchiladas last night and OMG so much better the next day. Like, just opening the tub I had the chicken boobs in was like 'woah! these smell amazing!' I added that recipe to my rotation. :)

Munchy
02-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Hello allllll!

Tonight's dinner is my take on this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/baked-penne-with-roasted-vegetables-recipe/index.html

I'll be using whole wheat pasta, and left over veggies re-seasoned from Tuesday's dinner. I don't use fontina cheese, I just use mozz because I always have it around the house. I use jarred sauce, but more than what it calls for because we are a saucy family! I also don't put the butter on top or any of that.

And Riddy? That chicken was AWESOME that night, but I used the leftovers in the enchiladas last night and OMG so much better the next day. Like, just opening the tub I had the chicken boobs in was like 'woah! these smell amazing!' I added that recipe to my rotation. :)

You HAVE to use the fontina and smoked mozz, not regular mozz! Seriously - if I could bring you some, I would! It makes the dish! :)

Last night I ended up at my friend's house so I had a little plate of turkey sloppy joe meat and some sweet potato fries...and champagne... :p

Tonight will probably be Guyanese stewed fish with rice. I'm winging a recipe, so I hope it comes out well.

Munchy
02-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I changed my mind. I'm going to make a noodle bowl with some rice noodles, rotisserie chicken, broccoli slaw, stir fry sauce, and plenty of sriracha. I'll probably add in roasted broccoli, red/green peppers and mushrooms.

kateleestar
02-16-2012, 01:31 PM
You HAVE to use the fontina and smoked mozz, not regular mozz! Seriously - if I could bring you some, I would! It makes the dish! :)

LOL. But I'm not 'buy an extra ingridient for one dish' type gal, lol. I have some smoked mozz at home, so I'll use that. We aren't really cheese people anyways... LOL. Just for you I will use the smoked!! Haha.

Munchy
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
LOL. But I'm not 'buy an extra ingridient for one dish' type gal, lol. I have some smoked mozz at home, so I'll use that. We aren't really cheese people anyways... LOL. Just for you I will use the smoked!! Haha.

I LIKE this post! :D

mammasita
02-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Bourbon chicken (http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/201809/bourbon-chicken) tonight (I think - its friday and we might go out instead).....if not tonight, then tomorrow :)

Oh and to go with the chicken, I'm going to make Crispy fried rice (http://thejoyofcleaneating.com/recipes/crispy-fried-rice/). Cooking it this way disguises it for my son. He won't touch "plain" brown rice LOL

kateleestar
02-20-2012, 08:48 AM
Ooo, bourbon chicken... lol.... YUM. I don't do takeout usually anymore, I can't count it, lol.. but I found a delish recipe a few years ago and make that... but it is NOT yours! So now I can try that one too, lol. Yey!

And tonights dinner is: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cajun-chicken-pasta-on-lighter-side.html in honor of Fat Tuesday tomorrow! lol. And I'm on TOM now, so the pasta will make me feel better, hahaha!! And ow. :lol:

On a side note, my TOM water weight did NOT throw be back over into the 200's like I had anticipated! Yippie! :carrot:

kateleestar
02-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Tonight's dinner is:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/asian-glazed-drumsticks.html

With tenders, because I'm not a huge dark meat fan. To avoid dryness, I'll marinate them for an hour or so in some rice wine vinegar, low sodium soy sauce, red pepper flakes and crushed garlic.

With it, we are having our daily spinach salad and roasted broccoli & cauilflower with garlic cloves and pam! :lol: Yum, roasted veggies.

Have a good day everyone!! :D

Munchy
02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm going to have leftover Turkey and Black Bean Enchiladas (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/turkey-and-black-bean-enchiladas.html). I shred zucchini into it too. As a side, I have leftover Calabacitas (http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=92).

Mmmm!

grneyedmustang
02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Munchy, where do you find smoked mozzarella? That sounds so yummy!

Kate, congrats on leaving the 200's for good! :D

Tonight's dinner - I have no earthly idea. Right now, I'm leaning toward my usual standby - grilled salmon, roasted broccoli, and asparagus. I'm calorie counting and that's a pretty easy meal to count.

I think I'm going to take out some chicken and marinade it so I can make smothered chicken tomorrow (using reduced fat ingredients of course, and turkey bacon). http://www.food.com/recipe/bennigans-smothered-chicken-87741

kateleestar
02-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Kate, congrats on leaving the 200's for good! :D

I think I'm going to take out some chicken and marinade it so I can make smothered chicken tomorrow (using reduced fat ingredients of course, and turkey bacon). http://www.food.com/recipe/bennigans-smothered-chicken-87741

Thanks, G! :)

And that smothered chicken from Bennigans was so good. I'm stealing that recipe! lol.. They closed our Bennigans down, boo. I loved that turkey-sandwich-on-a-pretzel-bun, lol.

Munchy
02-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Munchy, where do you find smoked mozzarella? That sounds so yummy!

I buy it at a store that has a big cheese section. We have a grocery store that uses only local ingredients and they have a huge selection. Trader Joe's also carries a lot of cheeses when I'm looking for something different. And they have THE BEST blue cheese crumbles - cheap!

mammasita
02-21-2012, 12:24 PM
Trader Joes, I LOVE Trader Joes....and speaking of my boy Joe, I have a veggie lasagna in the freezer from there. I think thats what I'm making tonight. Easy, plus I don't feel like fussing with chopping veggies and stuff.

kateleestar
02-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I read an article the other day that Aldi is owned by Trader Joes... That's pretty exciting to me, lol.

grneyedmustang
02-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I read an article the other day that Aldi is owned by Trader Joes... That's pretty exciting to me, lol.

They are! Aldi has some really good prices on their groceries. They also have this wonderful dark chocolate bar made by Mosser Roth that is yummy and satisfying. I can eat a half of one (roughly 65 calories) and have my low calorie chocolate fix for the day!

Trader Joe's has some really good things too. We had them in Atlanta, and was one of the things I hated about leaving Atlanta. They should be in Dallas this year though (I can't remember if it was during the spring or fall). I can't wait!:carrot:

lovemydoggiesx2
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Tonight I made ¨spaghetti¨I cooked up mushrooms, zuchinni, garlic and onion and tomatoe in a little olive oil and poured it over a cup of wheat maccaronis, with chocolate yogurt for desert....yummy!

Riddy
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
I never made it to the grocery store this weekend, so tonight was leftovers out of the freezer - roasted pork with gravy. I put it over mashed cauliflower - yum!

kateleestar
02-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Yum, mashed cauliflower. I love it, but my DH hated it. LOL. Oh well. We will still eat it. haha.

And tonight dinner:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/shrimp-fajitas.html

on corn tortillas, with homemade pico de gallo. I serve it with thinly sliced cabbage, and avocados. YUM.

grneyedmustang
02-22-2012, 11:17 AM
Yum, mashed cauliflower. I love it, but my DH hated it. LOL. Oh well. We will still eat it. haha.

And tonight dinner:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/shrimp-fajitas.html

on corn tortillas, with homemade pico de gallo. I serve it with thinly sliced cabbage, and avocados. YUM.

kate, those look yummy! I think I am stealing that recipe for tomorrow's dinner.

I love this thread :carrot: I get into "cooking ruts" sometimes, where I cook the same thing over and over. This thread definitely gives me new ideas.

KayNicole
02-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Those fajitas do look good!

I will be getting home late tonight and baked some chicken last night so I will have it ready when I get home. I tried a new marinade and it smelled SO GOOD I can't wait to eat it tonight.

1/4 C olive oil
1/4 whole clove garlic (minced)
1/8 C lemon juice (I only had lime)
Microwave 15 seconds.

2 Tbs honey
2 Tbs soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
a pinch of curry

coat chicken and bake as usual.

It didn't sound all that great but it was quick and simple and didn't require hours of marinading so I tried it. I was surprised how good it smelled! I am having that with roasted veggies tonight.

kateleestar
02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
I love any kind of fajitas. We have then, usually, once a week, lol... DH doesnt complain, so it must be okay with him too. And that's why I made this thread, because I look at so many recipes, I figured others did too, we might as well post them and help people (and ourselves!!) out! :D

That marinade sounds tasty! I love new marinades... <3

Munchy
02-22-2012, 02:10 PM
I've been eyeing that shrimp taco recipe, but I only make seafood on weekends when I have other people to eat it. I will say, however, that my daughter loves teriyaki salmon on the grill, so that's the one seafood that I can make when it's just the two of us.

I'm going out of town this weekend so I'm not going to be cooking or using ingredients. I just realized I have two huge produce bags full of broccoli and a butternut squash that needs to be cooked. I'm making a homemade macaroni and cheese with broccoli (http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/02/broccoli-shells-n-cheese-605-recipe-101.html) (more broccoli, less macaroni and some calorie adjustments) and freezing it in portions, so I may have that.

I'm going to make some curry lentil soup and Chilean butternut squash casserole (http://www.food.com/recipe/chilean-butternut-squash-casserole-82191) to freeze too, so it's going to be whatever floats my boat tonight :)

Atkins loser STL
02-22-2012, 09:47 PM
My husband and his friends meet at a diner for late dinner on Wednesdays. I often tag along. I plan to have the chef salad minus the hard boiled egg and croutons. I'm bringing my own 0g carb salad dressing.

kateleestar
02-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Tonight will be spaghetti... I'll be having mine with mostly spaghetti squash with some whole wheat linguini mixed in... and lots of veggies in the sauce.

Also our daily spinach salad. Yum!

And that mac & cheese recipe is being saved! Thanks Munchy! :)

Munchy
02-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Tonight will be spaghetti... I'll be having mine with mostly spaghetti squash with some whole wheat linguini mixed in... and lots of veggies in the sauce.

Also our daily spinach salad. Yum!

And that mac & cheese recipe is being saved! Thanks Munchy! :)

I adjusted it so that there are 2T of butter, 1% milk, only 4oz of (whole wheat) pasta, about 5 heads of broccoli florets and 6oz of extra sharp cheddar. I also found the sauce to be a little bland at first so I added some low sodium adobo to add that garlic and salt that it needed.

I think for the six servings it came out to be 316 calories each, but I'd have to double check at home.

It is seriously awesome. Maybe the best mac and cheese I've ever made.

I make mac and cheese with cauliflower puree mixed half and half with a cheese sauce made with a little blue cheese and RF cheese for my daughter. She loves that, but she wouldn't eat this one. So weird! This is a child who loves broccoli too...

Tonight will probably be a freezer meal since I have about a million now. I think I'll go with the dal with cauliflower and some quick brown rice.

Riddy
02-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Trying something out of a new low carb cookbook tonight - fake shrimp fried rice. You grate up raw cauliflower to replace the rice. I don't have a link, but here it is -

Mock Shrimp Fried Rice

2 cups raw cauliflower
2 T vegetable oil
2 T finely diced red bell pepper
4 T thinly sliced scallions
1/2 c cooked salad shrimp
1/4 t minced fresh garlic
3 T soy sauce
3 large eggs, beaten

Grate the cauliflower on the largest holes of a cheese grater, or in a food processor with a grating blade
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
Add the bell pepper and 3 T of scallions and cook for 1 minute

Add the cauliflower, shrimp and garlic - cook, stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes, til the cauliflower is tender
Add soy sauce and stir
Add eggs to a corner of the pan - don't stir for 1 minute, so the eggs don't completely break up and disappear
As soon as the eggs are soft cooked, remove skillet from the heat and gently fold eggs into the shrimp - cauliflower mixture
Add salt or more soy sauce to taste, garnish with remaining scallions

I'm going to tweak it some - more veggies, less oil and soy sauce, more shrimp. I'll probably add some ginger, too.

kateleestar
02-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Yum, Riddy. Let us know how that turns out! I love me some cauliflower..

And tonight were having crablegs, lol.. There was a super seafood sale at our local grocery store. Since they have about 20 cals per leg, I can count fairly easily. So well have that, our daily spinach salad, and roasted cauliflower for me and some red skin potatoes for DH. YUM.

grneyedmustang
02-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Mmmmm crablegs (homer voice)...

Making these tonight with asparagus and roasted broccoli: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tropical-fish-fillets/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=tropical%20fish&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

That shrimp fried rice recipe sounds good too. I haven't had shrimp fried rice in forever!!!

moviegrl1737
02-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Tonight is probably a version of the Fettuccine HungryGirlfredo from the Hungry Girl Cookbook. I modify it some by adding chicken and broccoli. I can't remember what the original recipe was anymore, but can pretty much make this one from memory.

Riddy
02-28-2012, 12:06 AM
So the shrimp "fried rice" was really good. I only used about a tablespoon of soy sauce because I was worried about it being too salty. I did add a little more at the end, maybe another 2 teaspoons. I cut the oil to 1 tablespoon. I bumped up the bell pepper to 1/2 a pepper, used an 8oz bag of salad shrimp, and added basil. The grocery store was out of ginger. :(

Shredding the cauliflower on the knuckle-buster was a little messy. I was wishing I had a food processor. :o I will definitely make it again, though.

I have tomorrow off, so I'm going to peruse my cookbooks and hit the grocery store.

grneyedmustang
02-28-2012, 08:51 AM
So the shrimp "fried rice" was really good. I only used about a tablespoon of soy sauce because I was worried about it being too salty. I did add a little more at the end, maybe another 2 teaspoons. I cut the oil to 1 tablespoon. I bumped up the bell pepper to 1/2 a pepper, used an 8oz bag of salad shrimp, and added basil. The grocery store was out of ginger. :(

Shredding the cauliflower on the knuckle-buster was a little messy. I was wishing I had a food processor. :o I will definitely make it again, though.

I have tomorrow off, so I'm going to peruse my cookbooks and hit the grocery store.

I hate "ricing" cauliflower. It's very messy and I always feel like I'm going to grate my finger off! The end result (I use riced cauliflower in a pizza crust recipe - it's AWESOME) - is always worth it though.

So Riddy - I'm glad the fried rice turned out well though, I may make that recipe with some homemade hibachi chicken later this week.

Tonight I am making the shrimp fajitas that kate posted a week ago. :D

mammasita
02-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Tonight will be swordfish steaks, brown rice and kale chips (side note: I dont like to share my kale LOL)

moviegrl1737
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Tonight: Salad with 3 oz Turkey Taco Meat, 2 tablespoons salsa, 1 tablespoon fat free cheddar, 1 tablespoon fat free sour cream.

kateleestar
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Tonight I am making the shrimp fajitas that kate posted a week ago. :D

They are SO GOOD! LOL. I saved the like, 2 shrimps and cup of leftover veggies and had it over spaghetti squash that next night, cause DH got held at work till 2am, lol... SO tasty the next day, and way spicier. LOVE IT!

And tonight we will be having: http://www.savingmoneylivinglife.com/2010/06/chicken-spinach-pasta-bake.html

..but I'm changing it, lol.. Whole wheat pasta, no pre-seasoned cream cheese, and I'm only using 4oz and subbing in some milk too. I'll be adding zucchnini and squash, and some spaghetti squash as well. No evoo, only Pam, lol.. and not nearly that much cheese. I'll put a regular amt on DH's, but not on mine. I'm not a huge cheese fan.

We're having pork tenderloin tomorrow, so I need to remember to take that puppy outta the freezer and stick her in the marinade, from Skinny Taste!! Woot! :carrot:

Have a good dinner ladies!! :D

Riddy
02-28-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm leaning towards chicken marsala in the pressure cooker, with lots of extra shrooms. I think I'm going to try shirataki noodles, too - I'm fascinated by them.

Or maybe this - http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/03/taste-of-thai-crock-pot-chicken.html

kateleestar
02-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Make sure you rinse the noodles well, Riddy. Way more than you think is necessary. It'll help with the texture/smell/taste. They are good though, once they are in other things! :)

Riddy
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM
Good to know, Kate. Thanks! I haven't had pasta in months, and while I don't really miss it, I just don't feel like spaghetti squash or mashed cauliflower today.

mammasita
02-28-2012, 12:22 PM
I'm leaning towards chicken marsala in the pressure cooker, with lots of extra shrooms. I think I'm going to try shirataki noodles, too - I'm fascinated by them.

Or maybe this - http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/03/taste-of-thai-crock-pot-chicken.html

I tried shiritaki noodles and couldnt do it, they got thrown out. Do you cook them a special way?

ALSO, what kind of pressure cooker do you have?

kateleestar
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
When I made the shiritaki noodles, I use the thinnest ones. I rinse them in water till it runs clear. I then blot them completely dry. I put them in a pan with whatever seasonings I'm using for the dish they are to go with (asian, thai, italian, whatever..) and then dry-pan-cook them for a few mins, maybe 2. It makes them dry out like pasta would, and it also helps the flavor change to be more in line with what I'm eating.

Its a long process, but I can then eat an entire baggie! :lol:

Riddy
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Hi mammasita,

I've never had the shirataki noodles - this will be my first attempt.

This is my pressure cooker - http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.tpl.csweb.cm_scid.cswb.item.K29862.cc.012

I like that it's oval - easier for browning stuff. I could easily fit a whole chicken in there, although I've never done it. The bowl comes out and can go in the dishwasher - bonus!

Munchy
02-28-2012, 02:06 PM
I rinse and dry my shirataki noodles really well, then throw them into stir fry (veggies and/or chicken, seafood, etc) and make an Asian noodle bowl with stir fry sauce, hoisin, sriracha, oyster sauce - just mix and match, and top off with scallions and cilantro. Sometimes I top it with a poached egg.

Since it's cooked and served in a potent sauce, I don't really notice a weird flavor or anything.

It looks like this:

http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/recipe/ss_R163256.jpg

http://feistycook.com/WP/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/ramen-noodles-pork-egg-1.jpg

If the texture bothers you, you can also make crispy noodles by putting the rinsed and dried noodles over high heat and getting them a little brown with some olive oil spray.

mammasita
02-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Munchy - that 2nd picture looks YUM YUM. My belly is grumbling LOL.

Riddy - you have to definitely let me know how you like them. I like the ideas from kate and munchy to dry them and fry them up a bit to change the texture.....and I LOVE that pressure cooker. I've been contemplating buying one but just dont know which one and if I would use it that much.

LAgreeneyes
02-28-2012, 05:22 PM
When I made the shiritaki noodles, I use the thinnest ones. I rinse them in water till it runs clear. I then blot them completely dry. I put them in a pan with whatever seasonings I'm using for the dish they are to go with (asian, thai, italian, whatever..) and then dry-pan-cook them for a few mins, maybe 2. It makes them dry out like pasta would, and it also helps the flavor change to be more in line with what I'm eating.

Its a long process, but I can then eat an entire baggie! :lol:

I ordered some a few weeks ago and hadn't tried them yet. I guess I should.

KayNicole
02-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I plan on making roasted chickpeas tonight. Not for dinner but I thought I would still share. I have never made these before but they sounded good. Anyone else ever try these?

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/roasted-chickpea-snack-2-pts.html

Riddy
02-28-2012, 08:59 PM
KayNicole, I ate a lot of roasted chickpeas when I was doing South Beach. Roast them til they rattle - that's how you know they're fully dried out.

So I warmed up the shirataki noodles in a frying pan with a little basil EVOO, garlic powder, oregano and mixed herbs. The texture wasn't quite pasta, but they tasted good. I had wide ones; maybe I'll try the angel hair next time.

And my chicken marsala was delicious as usual. :cool:

Now I'm drinking a homemade ginger tea -
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 1/2 cups water
juice of 1/2 lime
1 1/2 tablespoons splenda

simmer the ginger & water for 6-10 minutes
stir in lime juice & splenda

Yum! I made a double batch, and will probably drink it all before bed. I LURRRRVE ginger! :drool:

grneyedmustang
02-28-2012, 09:02 PM
I plan on making roasted chickpeas tonight. Not for dinner but I thought I would still share. I have never made these before but they sounded good. Anyone else ever try these?

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/roasted-chickpea-snack-2-pts.html

They are yummy! I got this (http://www.kernelseasons.com/shop_product_detail.php?pid=2&action=1) popcorn seasoning which was ranch flavored and sprinkled on mine.

kateleestar
02-29-2012, 08:55 AM
Dinner tonight is ground-turkey-tacos for DH, with fajita style veggies on the side.. I'll make mine only veggies and eat them as fajitas in corn tortillas. I went to Aldi and got lots of yellow and red peppers yesterday, so we will have purty fajitas, lol.

With our usual spinach salad, and maybe this: http://www.food.com/recipe/calabacitas-196430 on the side.. of course, with no cheese, lol, and no evoo, only Pam! (my best cooking friend, lol..)

mammasita
02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
I just have to say that my swordfish steak last night was SUPER DELICIOUS!

Tonight, I'm only cooking for my son and I so I have to get creative with the veggies.

grneyedmustang
02-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Tonight's dinner is pretty simple - a buffalo burger (no bun) with a side of sweet potato fries and a salad.

KayNicole
02-29-2012, 12:12 PM
My chickpeas came out soft in the middle so I will have to work on refining that recipe! lol

I just HAVE to share this recipe with you guys. I am from Ann Arbor and they have this amazing vegetarian restaurant called Seva. They have the BEST enchiladas calabaza I have ever had. It is what I always get when I am there. Sooo yummy. I was testing myfitnesspal and searched for the restaurant and found they had one meal in there... my meal! YAY So I am going to make these soon.

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/1178804-Enchiladas-Calabaza-Seva

Munchy
02-29-2012, 12:18 PM
My nugget and I went to Rainforest Cafe last night and I got the blackened tilapia fish tacos. I ate one and the other is in my fridge. I may have that and just use a new corn tortilla since I keep them in my freezer and I'm sure that one is soggy.

Or I'll pull out some butternut squash chili from my freezer. It's snowy here.

kateleestar
03-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Hello all!

Dinner tonight is this, minus the mango salsa: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/sweet-and-fiery-pork-tenderloin-with.html

With spinach salad, hot crash potatoes (http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/)(with pam and crushed garlic on top) and roasted cauliflower. YUM. :)

grneyedmustang
03-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Tonights dinner: http://naturalnoshing.wordpress.com/2011/05/18/best-grilled-salmon/

I am substituting agave for the honey, and lime juice for the balsamic.

Sides will be sauteed zucchini and onions, and ginger lime slaw: http://www.food.com/recipe/ginger-lime-cole-slaw-395163

Yummy, I can't wait!

Munchy
03-01-2012, 11:03 AM
I ended up getting out early yesterday, so I made polenta with sun dried tomatoes and fresh homegrown basil and topped it with sauteed mushrooms and a turkey sausage tomato sauce that I made and had frozen.

Tonight I have to eat that fish taco before it goes bad :)

kateleestar
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Tonight were going out for sushi... I'm saving my calories for it, all 1000 of them, LOL. (I'm eating 1350 as of now, for a few weeks, to get things moving again.)

I love sushi... yey.

Tomorrow were going to a Brazilian steakhouse up in Cleveland. It's like, giant-meat-fest, but I'm good. I'll be getting the salad bar and maybe a sushi roll. :D

Keep going everyone! Don't let the weekend throw you off!! :carrot:

grneyedmustang
03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Tonight were going out for sushi... I'm saving my calories for it, all 1000 of them, LOL. (I'm eating 1350 as of now, for a few weeks, to get things moving again.)

I love sushi... yey.

Tomorrow were going to a Brazilian steakhouse up in Cleveland. It's like, giant-meat-fest, but I'm good. I'll be getting the salad bar and maybe a sushi roll. :D

Keep going everyone! Don't let the weekend throw you off!! :carrot:

I LOVE Brazilian steakhouses. My birthday is next month and that's my birthday gift :carrot:

Kay, I love seeing new websites for recipes. I bookmarked the recipe and the site where you got your enchilada recipe.

Munchy, how did your polenta turn out?

My dinner today - totally excited - a very small filet mignon and a small lobster tail. Small baked potato and some asparagus. I can't wait!!!

Munchy
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Munchy, how did your polenta turn out?

My dinner today - totally excited - a very small filet mignon and a small lobster tail. Small baked potato and some asparagus. I can't wait!!!

Your dinner sounds awesome! I love filet mignon - it's the only steak I'll eat, and I have a great local place to buy it inexpensively. They also have the best seafood and prices around, so I usually end up with shrimp, scallops, and sometimes mussels or lobster too :)

The polenta was really good. It's all solidified now, so I can pan sear it and top it with different veggies and sauces. That's my favorite way to eat it.

Munchy
03-02-2012, 01:58 PM
I made butternut squash enchiladas a while back and they fell flat for me - maybe because they were sweet, but not spicy enough. I would have to revisit with Kay's recipe. So far, these zucchini enchiladas (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/03/cheesy-zucchini-enchiladas.html) are the best vegetarian ones I've ever made. I felt so good about these that I even made a carbalicious black bean/rice side :)

kateleestar
03-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I have a recipe for butternut enchiladas, I'll dig it out and post it. SO tasty. And spicy... I like things spicy, lol.

CherryPie99
03-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I made this for the first time tonight

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/chicken-pot-pie-soup.html

it was delish and very filling!

angelskeep
03-02-2012, 08:26 PM
We're having leftovers. Ground chicken breast meatloaf which sounds dreadful but is AMAZING-it's a healthified Giada recipe. Cauliflower mash. Lots of salad w/ff dressing for me and steamed broccoli for Robert.

Riddy
03-03-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm making "this all looked good at the grocery store" soup tonight.

Deli ends - turkey, ham and a little piece of salami
onion & garlic
celery
roasted, peeled chestnuts
mixed mushrooms
roasted red peppers
spinach
aged Gouda - I think I'll throw a piece of the rind in
turkey base or veggie base & water
parsley
basil
oregano
poultry seasoning
black pepper

Tomorrow is roasted chicken thighs & veggies - again out of the new cookbook, will type it out later

Happy Saturday, chicks!

KayNicole
03-03-2012, 11:18 AM
grneyedmustang- I am glad I could help you find a new site! :) I hope you find some good ones there.

munchy- I will definitely try the zucchini enchiladas! Yummy!

kateleestar- I am so glad we have some spice lovin' girls in here! I love spicy foods.

I love this thread but now I want to cook all day! ;) I made some skinnytaste meatloaf cupcakes with potato frosting and side of green beans and corn. Mmmmm and I have lots of leftovers frozen for later.

mammasita
03-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Tonight is green chile bison burgers on multigrain ciabatta rolls with roasted asparagus as the side dish. Im so excited lol

kateleestar
03-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Morning!!

I'm pretty sure were having this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/chicken-rollatini-stuffed-with-zucchini.html#more

Or leftovers, although, I don't think DH has enough for a whole dinner... so... hhm...

KayNicole
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
mammasita- How were the burgers? They sound great!

kateleestar- I am absolutely going to try that one! YUM!

I haven't planned out dinner yet. I have a bunch of leftovers and I have some chicken I have to cook up. I may try kateleestar's idea. I would have to get the cheese but I have everything else.
Last night I made this... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-philly-pasta/ with whole wheat pasta, 1/4 of the cheese and without the butter.

kateleestar
03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't think I'm gonna use mozz in it, Kay.. I think I'm gonna use the parm, but less, and then use some parm in the "breading" part.. Maybe top with a LITTLE mozz and broil it at the end. We aren't super-cheese-eaters. I might actually put a little blended up butternut squash in the middle with the zucchini, to add that creamy factor. Spinach blended would work too! :D

mammasita
03-05-2012, 11:49 AM
mammasita- How were the burgers? They sound great!

They were DELICIOUS. I love bison because it tastes SUPER fatty, but is very lean. I just ate the leftover burger with brown rice for lunch.

YUMMY

KayNicole
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I don't think I'm gonna use mozz in it, Kay.. I think I'm gonna use the parm, but less, and then use some parm in the "breading" part.. Maybe top with a LITTLE mozz and broil it at the end. We aren't super-cheese-eaters. I might actually put a little blended up butternut squash in the middle with the zucchini, to add that creamy factor. Spinach blended would work too! :D

I was thinking the same thing on the cheese! I am also not a huge cheese fan... anymore. ;) But the butternut squash idea sounds divine!!

kateleestar
03-05-2012, 02:32 PM
I've never been a huge cheese person.. A little romano on things, sure.. a nacho here and there... Dairy as a whole, I'm meh about, I guess. A glass of milk with like, warm cookies, YES, but randomly for no reason? Meh. Nah, I'm good. :)

mammasita
03-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I've never been a huge cheese person.. A little romano on things, sure.. a nacho here and there... Dairy as a whole, I'm meh about, I guess. A glass of milk with like, warm cookies, YES, but randomly for no reason? Meh. Nah, I'm good. :)

Thats CRAZY! I wish I didn't love cheese. I can do without milk, but cheese.....maaaaaan. I'm kind of a cheese whore lol

Tonight is pollo asado from trader joes (I have some left over breasts from when I opened the package saturday), brown rice and KALE (I LOVE kale)

KayNicole
03-05-2012, 04:04 PM
I love kale too! Soo yummy. This morning I forgot I had some collard greens in the fridge and thought it was kale for a second... I was disappointed when I realized it was the collard greens. :)

kateleestar
03-06-2012, 08:20 AM
LOL. I love kale too... I have this tasty chick peas and kale recipe I'll have to pull out and post. SO GOOD.

And I think were having leftovers tonight, as I don't a) feel like cooking and b) really REALLY need to do laundry instead, lol.

And as a kid, even growing up in a mostly-italian family, we didn't use cheese tons. It was more of a garnish, I guess, like a sprinkling. My G-ma didn't drown anything in cheese, so we never got into that habit, I guess... :)

kateleestar
03-06-2012, 08:26 AM
This is really close to it!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/indian_spiced_kale_chickpeas.html

I use Pam, though, obv.. and I always toss in a little red pepper flake, and I sometimes use water in place of the chicky broth. I usually saute onion and garlic in the pan first, and I use just a heavy bottomed lidded pan, not a dutch oven. :)

TASTY.

Munchy
03-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I made chicken chili on Sunday, so I may eat that again. Yum! I use 1/4 cup chili powder and top with scallions, cilantro, and plenty of sriracha with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. Mmm!

mammasita
03-06-2012, 09:55 AM
LOVE chili powder and paprika. I add those to seasonings to EVERYTHING I cook.

Tonight is probably gonna be take out tuesday.....my son started baseball and has practice tonight so I wont have any time nor do I want to spend time cooking at 8pm lol. Looking like Subway or maybe Taco Bell.

kateleestar
03-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Hello ladies!!

Dinner tonight is http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cilantro-lime-tilapia-tacos.html with spinach salad, as always! :)

grneyedmustang
03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
Hello ladies!!

Dinner tonight is http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cilantro-lime-tilapia-tacos.html with spinach salad, as always! :)

:drool: I absolutely LOVE cilantro!!!!! I just pinned this recipe on pinterest...might have to make it Friday!

Here's today's recipe - making it with cod instead of orange roughy:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/orange-roughy-parmesan/detail.aspx

Going to have it with a side of asparagus and a salad.

Munchy
03-07-2012, 03:26 PM
I made an entire turkey breast on the bone on Sunday, so I need to use up as much turkey as possible. I'll probably make some enchiladas to freeze, but for dinner tonight - mushroom and as many other veggies as possible/turkey/rice noodle bowl :)

KayNicole
03-07-2012, 10:16 PM
I am made something a little off plan tonight. Usually I would have changed this recipe but it just sounded so good. It is good and worth it though. :)
African peanut stew
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/west-african-peanut-stew/detail.aspx

kateleestar
03-08-2012, 08:09 AM
I've made that before, Kay!! SO GOOD. African food is surprisingly tasty to this Italian/German, LOL.

And I love cilantro too, mustang... It's a problem. I was buying a bunch a week for a while, lol, and then I discovered these little tubes that keep longer and have "up to 3 bunches" in them, and they are only like, $3 when they go on sale.. I have cilantro, ginger and one other, I dont remember. I like having the ginger around because I want to use fresh, not ground in things, but I don't want to keep a little root, LOL. Here's a link: http://www.gourmetgarden.com/us/

And I'm using leftover meat tonight, too, Munchy! I made that asiany pork on monday, and I have a chunk left, so I'm gonna cube it and put it into spaghetti sauce. DH didn't want dinner last night (because he had a "big lunch" and then the "pretzels and cheese looked so good", so I told him he would be eating leftovers, and I would be eating NEW. :lol: Sigh. Whatevs. I'll be eating a little pasta, with some spaghetti squash, in sauce. YUM.

Have a good day ladies!! :D

Munchy
03-08-2012, 09:41 AM
And I love cilantro too, mustang... It's a problem. I was buying a bunch a week for a while, lol, and then I discovered these little tubes that keep longer and have "up to 3 bunches" in them, and they are only like, $3 when they go on sale.. I have cilantro, ginger and one other, I dont remember. I like having the ginger around because I want to use fresh, not ground in things, but I don't want to keep a little root, LOL. Here's a link: http://www.gourmetgarden.com/us/

I have an aerogarden and it's my savior - I grow cilantro, basil, thyme, oregano, dill and it grows super fast. One of the best gifts I've ever received!

kateleestar
03-08-2012, 09:59 AM
I have an aerogarden and it's my savior - I grow cilantro, basil, thyme, oregano, dill and it grows super fast. One of the best gifts I've ever received!

Want. LOL. :goes to look:

grneyedmustang
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM

I buy those ALL THE TIME. They are a life saver and like you, I prefer to use fresh spices. I tried growing my own cilantro in my apartment and it was a big bucket of fail!!! The basil and parsley I tried to grow failed also. :(

Munchy, that aerogarden you suggested looks pretty cool. How hard is it to maintain? I am a plant murderer.

Kay, one of my old coworkers was from Ghana, and she used to make that soup all the time. It was YUMMY. I might try and make it one day, I bookmarked your recipe.

Tonight's dinner - chicken souvlaki with greek potatoes and greek salad.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/souvlaki/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=souvlaki&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Munchy
03-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Munchy, that aerogarden you suggested looks pretty cool. How hard is it to maintain? I am a plant murderer.
I'm a plant murderer too! :devil:

There is almost no maintenance. Just plug it in, set the timer for the lights, then water it about once a week and add the pre-measured pack of nutrients. It's AMAZING! I figure I'm saving money on all of the herbs, so the cost of it works for me. I bought one for my brother and his wife a few years ago (because I coveted it) and someone gave me one for Christmas this past year! Awesome :)

KayNicole
03-08-2012, 10:28 AM
grneyedmustang- that is one of my favorites!! I make it pretty often.

I was just thinking the other day that I am really slacking and should have planted my veggies by now. Last year I grew a lot of stuff and I have really been missing my cilantro and basil this winter!

I am going to take it easy on dinner tonight, probably a salad. I am having a very fatty lunch at this really great Mediterranean place. They have shawarma gyros with lettuce tomato onion and both tahini and tzatziki sauces which are really great. I don't even want to know how many calories are in it so this will be my main meal of the day today. :D

kateleestar
03-08-2012, 11:26 AM
I buy those ALL THE TIME. They are a life saver and like you, I prefer to use fresh spices. I tried growing my own cilantro in my apartment and it was a big bucket of fail!!! The basil and parsley I tried to grow failed also. :(

lol, I'm not a plant killer... My cats eat any plants we have. Like, parsely? SURE! Cilantro? Yum! I've tried in the past, lol... I'm thinking I could put that thing in like, the basement on the high shelves and they can't get at it, might be my 'hidden herbs' solution.. Without a crazy growlight contraption I'd have to make at home, lol. I bet I can even put it in the basement closet on a little table, it should be fine! :)

Yey.

KayNicole
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM
lol, I'm not a plant killer... My cats eat any plants we have. Like, parsely? SURE! Cilantro? Yum! I've tried in the past, lol... I'm thinking I could put that thing in like, the basement on the high shelves and they can't get at it, might be my 'hidden herbs' solution.. Without a crazy growlight contraption I'd have to make at home, lol. I bet I can even put it in the basement closet on a little table, it should be fine! :)

Yey.

I have the same problem!! Damn cat. I love plants and cant keep ANY in my house! I need some strategically placed shelves. Every place I can put a plant the cat can't get to doesn't get enough light for anything to grow. :(

Munchy
03-08-2012, 12:37 PM
For dinner I'm probably going to have either a rice noodle bowl (which I didn't have last night because a friend invited me and my daughter over for dinner) or a quesadilla.

Easy stuff!

Riddy
03-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Hey Kate, FYI - you can keep a hunk of ginger in a ziplock bag in the freezer for a long time. I'm talking months. Then when you need some, peel it and shred it on a microplane grater. I do love those tubes for basil, though - I kill basil. :D

kateleestar
03-12-2012, 03:08 PM
We need less bad cats, Kay! :lol:

And I had no american idea I could freeze it, Riddy! Thanks. I love me some fresh ginger... I make that mushroom broth asiany soup, I cant remember the name for the life of me right now though... lol.. and I LOVE chopping up fresh ginger into it. YUM.

Dinner this week will be whatever the heck I want, as DH is out of town. YEY! Last time he was gone I lost 4lbs that week... :crossed: it happens again!! :carrot:

Munchy
03-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I'll probably have a leftover stuffed pepper Link (http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/2009/08/vegetable-sausage-stuffed-peppers-and-green-beans-with-cherry-tomatoes/). I've been making this recipe since I stumbled on it a few years ago and refuse to make a different version of stuffed pepper now :)

grneyedmustang
03-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Off topic - I used to have a cat that would knock my plants over. It took me a while to figure out it was her - I kept thinking that in my moments of clumsiness, I was knocking them over! One day, I was leaving for work and had to run back in the house, and there she was, pushing a potted plant off a sill, waiting for it to fall. LOL!

Munchy those peppers sound good. :)

Back to dinner - here's tonight's dinner. I'm excited about these:
http://www.kayotic.nl/blog/stuffed-zucchini

Riddy
03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
So it's been record breaking warm here (69 degrees today!), so I dusted off the grill. Last night was a strip steak with espresso steak rub.

http://www.spiceandtea.com/espresso-steak-rub-p-148.html?zenid=lpheo4g2tqtfggsv1c2kgt3fe4

This is also where my smoked salts and ghost pepper salt comes from. I had it with frozen turnip greens, sauteed with butternut squash oil and a little garlic, finished with blackberry ginger balsamic vinegar.

http://www.saratogaoliveoil.com/products/item/Gourmet-Oils/Butternut-Squash/6/122/0

http://www.saratogaoliveoil.com/products/item/Balsamic-Vinegars/Blackberry-Ginger-Balsamic-Vinegar/1/76/0

Tonight I made mustang's lemon ginger shrimp from post #55 - I love it! I put it over a spinach & shroom salad, dressed with basil olive oil and honey ginger white balsamic.

http://www.saratogaoliveoil.com/products/item/Infused-and-Fused-Oils/Basil-EVOO/4/70/0

http://www.saratogaoliveoil.com/products/item/Balsamic-Vinegars/Honey-Ginger-White-Balsamic-Vinegar/1/98/0

TiffNeedsChange
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Lemon pepper tilapia, steamed green beans, and a corn muffin :)

kateleestar
03-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Ah, another DH free week... I love him, just not what he does to my diet, LOL.

Tonight I will be having veggie fajitas. Spaghetti squash, red, yellow and green peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, yellow squash and zucchini. YUMtastic. With pico de gallo, fat free sour cream and jalapenos! :carrot:

Munchy
03-13-2012, 09:42 AM
I ended up going out for shrimp tacos (and margaritas ;) ) last night. Tonight will probably be a leftover pepper or maybe a flatbread pizza.

grneyedmustang
03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
Today is http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2011/01/13/cashew-chicken-recipe/

Substituting splenda for the sugar, with a side of zucchini and onions.

The Stuffed Zucchini from last night's dinner were really good! I'll definitely make those again.

Riddy, glad you liked those shrimp! They are one of my favorite recipes.

I see a lot of Mexican food mentioned in our thread - I guess we all love mexican, LOL.

TiffNeedsChange, what kind of lemon pepper seasoning do you use on your fish? I love lemon pepper...mmmmm.

kateleestar
03-13-2012, 02:33 PM
I think I could live on mexican and italian alone, lol. I have both once a week at home, and usually on the weekend we go out 3 times, and once is always the local mexican place, lol... They know us. I don't get the horrid things I used too, but I stil go.. and get delicious pico. YUM.

grneyedmustang
03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
I LOVE pico de gallo...love it love it!!!!

If anyone is counting calories, I found this website which will analyze the calorie counts of your recipes:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

Munchy
03-13-2012, 04:07 PM
TiffNeedsChange, what kind of lemon pepper seasoning do you use on your fish? I love lemon pepper...mmmmm.

I'm not Tiff, but I use Penzey's (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyslemonpepper.html) lemon pepper. It's the best! I love to get scallops and just pan sear with a little of the lemon pepper seasoning.

grneyedmustang
03-13-2012, 04:10 PM
I'm not Tiff, but I use Penzey's (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyslemonpepper.html) lemon pepper. It's the best! I love to get scallops and just pan sear with a little of the lemon pepper seasoning.

I just discovered Penzey's a little while ago, I'll definitely have to check out their lemon pepper.

kateleestar
03-14-2012, 08:33 AM
HI! I could live on Pico, seriously. I've been known to eat it with a fork. LOL.

Annnnnd, tonights dinner will be: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/autumn-penne-pasta-with-sauteed.html but with no meat, I'm meat free this week.. because of the DH-less-ness. I wouldn't ever be able to go meatless for a week if he was around, lol.

Italian AND brussel sprouts? HEAVEN. ;)

Munchy
03-14-2012, 01:06 PM
It's so beautiful out that I'm making a cobb salad for 413 calories. :)

I can't wait to eat it!

kateleestar
03-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I heart cobb salads, lol... No bacon for me though. ICKY.

And tonight, still DH free, I'll be having... leftovers! Yey! lol. I've got a bake sale here at work tomorrow, and I'll be baking all night without time to make dinner. :D

KayNicole
03-15-2012, 11:25 AM
OMG I wish I didn't like bacon! :) Tonight was supposed to be a green themed potluck with a friend but I think I might have to cancel so I am not sure what I am doing for dinner yet. Whatever I do I think I will do some sort of leafy green like kale, collard greens or chard maybe.

grneyedmustang
03-15-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm going Mexican tonight. My favorite tacos - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/oaxacan-tacos/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=oaxacan%20tacos&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

With Cilantro lime rice, beans, sauteed peppers and onions.

I love Cobb Salads too. That might be tomorrow's lunch!

Munchy
03-16-2012, 09:27 AM
I buy the Trader Joe's turkey bacon because it's nitrate free and it's made of chopped and formed thigh as opposed to pink "soft serve" meat :)

I never made the cobb salad, ha! I did, however, make a fantastic noodle bowl last night: tons of mushrooms and broccoli, red and green peppers, 2oz chicken, 1oz rice noodles, chicken broth, sriracha, oyster sauce, all topped with scallions and cilantro.

I'm going to make fish tacos and Guyanese stewed fish this weekend. I have an entire bag of avocados to use up soon. My Cooking Light issue that came in yesterday had a few different recipes for avocado salads, so one of those will probably be in my arsenal too :)

kateleestar
03-16-2012, 12:15 PM
Oh, I like turkey bacon, lol... just not regular. I'm not a pork person. BOO.

LOL, I run a side cupcake business, and I made french toast cupcakes with maple syrup buttercream with BACON SPRINKLES. LOL, and that was the first time I've ever made bacon. I made it in the oven, is that right? I googled it and it said it was okay. My dad said it would be less messy there, lol.. I'm so strange. The bacon goes along with the can't-eat-ground-beef thing, too, lol.

And tonight dinner is... out! DH will be back in town and I really dont feel like cooking. :D

grneyedmustang
03-16-2012, 04:04 PM
I buy the Trader Joe's turkey bacon because it's nitrate free and it's made of chopped and formed thigh as opposed to pink "soft serve" meat :)

I never made the cobb salad, ha! I did, however, make a fantastic noodle bowl last night: tons of mushrooms and broccoli, red and green peppers, 2oz chicken, 1oz rice noodles, chicken broth, sriracha, oyster sauce, all topped with scallions and cilantro.

I'm going to make fish tacos and Guyanese stewed fish this weekend. I have an entire bag of avocados to use up soon. My Cooking Light issue that came in yesterday had a few different recipes for avocado salads, so one of those will probably be in my arsenal too :)

That is the BEST.TURKEY.BACON.EVER. Mmmm. I can't wait until we get Trader Joe's here - I used to shop there all the time in Atlanta. We're supposed to get Trader Joe's sometime this spring - I think...

I didn't make the cobb salad either. No time. And I see you're joining us on the Mexican bandwagon...LOL.

Today I am having a wine event, so my dinner is probably going to involve some wine, cheese, crudites, and a few bacon wrapped shrimp. Since I've been calorie counting I usually have one "free meal" - so I guess tonight's going to be my free meal.

Kate, enjoy your meal out!!! And the cupcake business is cool. I make cakes and cupcakes for fun occasionally. I don't do it often though because it's a lot of work, and every time I "sign up" to make a cake for an event, I waaaaay undercharge. :(

Riddy
03-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Tonight I made this in the crock pot - http://www.sandyskitchenadventures.com/2011/03/taste-of-thai-crock-pot-chicken.html

I didn't make cauliflower rice, I just dumped a bag of frozen cauliflower in the crock pot with the rest of the ingredients. I added more ginger, garlic, green curry paste and scallions. Very yummy!

Tomorrow I'm going out for sushi before I get my Irish on with my favorite local Irish band. Not on plan, but Paddy's Day only comes once a year. I'll get a good workout in ahead of time.

:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drin kup::drinkup:

kateleestar
03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Kate, enjoy your meal out!!! And the cupcake business is cool. I make cakes and cupcakes for fun occasionally. I don't do it often though because it's a lot of work, and every time I "sign up" to make a cake for an event, I waaaaay undercharge. :(

I did! And St. Patty's day too, lol..

And with the cupcakes, I started out charging less because I wasn't sure what people would pay. I have a tiered system now, where the more time consuming/ingriedent heavy ones are $2.50 and the regular ones I sell are $1.75. It works out that I'm having about 2-3 orders a week and I'm making anywhere between $80 - $150 extra a week. I end up baking on Saturday mornings and one evening a week, usually. :) It fufills my 'i-need-a-creative-outlet' nicely and I like saving the money up for things. I'm buying a couch next month with what I've made so far this year with it, so I'm pretty happy with my success thus far. My BFF and I always have wanted to open a bakery.. we've been talking about this since 7th grade, LOL... One day, we will... I just dont know when, because I really love my job now and like having a pension when I'm old! :D

And dinner tonight is.. leftovers for me! And DH, but I'm having homemade leftovers and he's eating gross pizza, lol..

Riddy
03-19-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm enjoying the record heat by firing up the grill! :cool:

Last night was tuna steak marinated in super hot peach ginger habanero sauce, with broccoli & zucchini.

Tonight I grilled marlin marinated in that ginger salad dressing they sell in produce section, and green beans.

Wonder what other quick grilling fishies I have stashed in the freezer for tomorrow! :D

kateleestar
03-20-2012, 08:07 AM
Morning!!

I'm pretty sure were having this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/thai-green-coconut-curry-shrimp-with.html

It's supposed to be 80 here today, in NE Ohio... In MARCH. :lol: If we don't have that, I'll have to find something else.. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find light coconut milk. If I dont, I might just use skim milk and a little coconut flavoring, LOL. DH won't know and what he doesn't know wont hurt him. ;)

Making it with spinach salad, as usual, and brown rice - likely this one: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/brown-coconut-rice-with-cilantro.html

YEY! :D

Munchy
03-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Morning!!

I'm pretty sure were having this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/10/thai-green-coconut-curry-shrimp-with.html

It's supposed to be 80 here today, in NE Ohio... In MARCH. :lol: If we don't have that, I'll have to find something else.. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find light coconut milk. If I dont, I might just use skim milk and a little coconut flavoring, LOL. DH won't know and what he doesn't know wont hurt him. ;)

I find light coconut milk at Trader Joe's and at the regular grocery store in the "International" aisle. It's by Thai Kitchen:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpVuNtWDF1x5Jabsg3D6orSXM5Ljt4X a2rDv9U1nRmJ5A909VP

I have a single pounded chicken breast thawing, so maybe some chicken with a soy sauce/agave/garlic/sesame seed/sriracha sauce. It's an old recipe that I made with my mom as a kid - a Korean student taught her how to make it - fried - and we fell in love with it. I modify it so it's pan seared. That with some roasted broccoli and rice seems to be the plan.

Or maybe I'll get lazy and make something else. It's hot here and I just made chicken stock :dizzy:

Riddy
03-20-2012, 08:32 PM
So tonight I grilled a tuna steak with an island rub and ghost pepper salt, and cooked up some cauliflower. Good thing I'm not eating at home the next 2 nights - there's no more fish in the freezer! :D

kateleestar
03-21-2012, 09:07 AM
I find light coconut milk at Trader Joe's and at the regular grocery store in the "International" aisle. It's by Thai Kitchen:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpVuNtWDF1x5Jabsg3D6orSXM5Ljt4X a2rDv9U1nRmJ5A909VP

Yeah, our grocery stores's international aisle consists of a LOT of italian, a LOT of spanish/mexican and like, a 1/2 shelf of thai/asian. Sooooo, no luck. I used coconut water instead, and it was a success! I had a 1/2 cup of rice and DH ate the rest, LOL.. I made about a cup and a 1/2. He even said it was really good.

And lol Riddy, I go on fish kicks too. We won't have it for a month and then all of the sudden itll be all I make in a week. Haha.

Dinner tonight is enchilada bake! Corn tortillas on the bottom. Then chicken, black beans, low fat cream cheese and veggies layered with more veggies and more corn tortiallas. I use cumin, hot pepper flakes, basil, oregano... lots of spices and garlic. It's delish! For my "enchilada sauce" I literally dump a whole jar of chichi's hot thick and chunky salsa in a pot, heat it up with garlic and chili powder, and a little unsweetened cocoa, and then blend it with my stick blender. AH-mazing. You'd never know its healthy, lol.

Have a good day ladies! :D

grneyedmustang
03-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Good morning!

Here's today's dinner - I'm subbing in Smart Balance for the butter:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chicken-georgia-recipe/index.html

I can't wait...going to have roasted broccoli and wild rice pilaf for my sides. Yum!

kateleestar
03-22-2012, 09:09 AM
I love chicken georgia, grneyes! I love anything with mushrooms, lol...

Tonight for dinner we are having: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/05/broiled-salmon-with-rosemary-6-pts.html without the lemon juice, I'll sub in some veg broth or pam, and I'm making it in a foil pouch on the grill, with asparagus and brussel sprouts under it. We shall also be having fingerling potatoes, likely microwaved and then also grilled in foil pouches with onions and mushrooms. I add veggies to everything to make DH consume more of them, lol....

Have a good day ladies!!!

grneyedmustang
03-22-2012, 09:42 AM
I love chicken georgia, grneyes! I love anything with mushrooms, lol...

Tonight for dinner we are having: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/05/broiled-salmon-with-rosemary-6-pts.html without the lemon juice, I'll sub in some veg broth or pam, and I'm making it in a foil pouch on the grill, with asparagus and brussel sprouts under it. We shall also be having fingerling potatoes, likely microwaved and then also grilled in foil pouches with onions and mushrooms. I add veggies to everything to make DH consume more of them, lol....

Have a good day ladies!!!

MMMMMM I love Salmon. I'm not a big fan of rosemary though, I've tried and tried and tried to like it but just can't.

Grilled salmon is one of my "standards" - I eat it for dinner at least once a week.

Tonight's dinner is lemon ginger shrimp. Probably with a side of brown rice pilaf and sauteed zucchini and onions.

Jelma
03-22-2012, 01:40 PM
My bf is having a dental procedure today, so whatever we have will ned to be pretty mushy, luckily most of the food on his side of the cupboard needs little chewing - beef stew, beef tamales, cincy chili, lol.

My mom got me the Joy of Cooking for Christmas last year. She said I graduated to a real cook :D I have been trying alot of recipes out of there the past few weeks, in all honesty they have been pretty boring. I have had good luck with their recipes for basic things like sauces, rubs, etc. though.

grneyedmustang
03-22-2012, 02:40 PM
My mom got me the Joy of Cooking for Christmas last year. She said I graduated to a real cook :D I have been trying alot of recipes out of there the past few weeks, in all honesty they have been pretty boring. I have had good luck with their recipes for basic things like sauces, rubs, etc. though.

Welcome to the thread! I get a lot of really good ideas here.

Also, I know it's not necessarily diet food - but I made this when I was having some major tooth work - and lightened it up a bit by using smart balance, splenda, half and half - and no creamed corn (it was just as good): http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-restaurants-food/from-the-menu-of-866584.html

Jelma
03-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Welcome to the thread! I get a lot of really good ideas here.

Also, I know it's not necessarily diet food - but I made this when I was having some major tooth work - and lightened it up a bit by using smart balance, splenda, half and half - and no creamed corn (it was just as good): http://www.accessatlanta.com/atlanta-restaurants-food/from-the-menu-of-866584.html

Thanks :D I was here awhile ago but been slacking on trying new things. With spring here I figure it was a good time to get back for some inspiration!

Thanks for the recipe, I will try it this weekend. He has been hesitant to eat much, I will tell him it is dental surgery & 3FC approved ;)

Riddy
03-23-2012, 11:03 PM
I *sorta* had the day off today - got roped into working til 3:30, then I hit the co-op again. I had to buy more of the organic local tofu, plus the $2 local baby spinach. I made seat-of-my-pants curry - garlic, ginger, basil EVOO, onion, pepper, tofu, veg broth, light coconut milk, green curry paste, basil, sriacha (sp?) sauce and baby spinach. Yummy!

I also bought some local organic raw curry sauerkraut. HOLY crap is it delicious! They had a jalapeno sauerkraut, too - had to get a jar of that, too.

Eating out the next 2 nights, so no more cooking til next week.

Munchy
03-26-2012, 09:49 AM
I *sorta* had the day off today - got roped into working til 3:30, then I hit the co-op again. I had to buy more of the organic local tofu, plus the $2 local baby spinach. I made seat-of-my-pants curry - garlic, ginger, basil EVOO, onion, pepper, tofu, veg broth, light coconut milk, green curry paste, basil, sriacha (sp?) sauce and baby spinach. Yummy!

That sounds AMAZING! Tonight will likely be kimchi rice (http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=480) with leftover flounder or bay scallops, and some leftover kale salad.

Jelma
03-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Riddy - your post made me think about shopping habits. I feel like I have finally figured it out when it comes to shopping for my boyfried and I.

I am interested in how everyone does their food shopping - do you stick to one store or shop numerous places???

I usually go to Kroger once a month and stock up on my essentials - canned foods - beans, soups, etc., 5lb bag of organic carrots, pickles, pasta, cottage cheese, sour cream, block cheese. I also go to Sam's about once a month for bread, frozen chicken tenders, 5lb ground turkey, sliced turkey, mini cheeses for lunches. I order all my beef online about once every 6-9 months though I will pick up a pound here or there at the farmer's market or Whole Foods. The rest of the month I go to the market down the street from my house about 1-2 times a week. There I buy vegetables, fruits, spices, anything else I need for that day or week's recipes. Once the market opens in our downtown square I will be going there once a week for locally grown lettuce and other vegetables. It sounds like a lot of shopping but it really isn't.

Munchy
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I am interested in how everyone does their food shopping - do you stick to one store or shop numerous places???

I start at the discount and Asian markets. I get almost all of my produce, herbs, juice, seltzer, canned goods, tofu, frozen veggies, shirataki, milk, eggs, rice, beans, noodles, condiments between two stores. I can even buy single cups of Chobani for .99 there, ground turkey/chicken, cheese, etc.

I go to BJ's about once a month to pick up a rotisserie chicken, hummus, chicken breasts, a large container of plain Chobani and cases of water.

I buy certain items at Trader Joe's maybe once every two weeks - juice boxes, apple/banana crushers, blue cheese, peanut butter and almond butter, broccoli slaw, mandarin chicken, low sodium broth, breads/tortillas/pitas, turkey jerky, and usually just browse for the rest.

I go to a regular grocery store (Stop and Shop) once a month to get a few things I can't find other places - flatout bread comes to mind.

There is another store I frequent maybe once a month because their seafood and filet mignon are fantastic and they have great sales on all of it often. It's local and never frozen.

In the summer I like to browse farmers markets once a week or every other week if I have the time. They're open such limited hours so I don't always make it in time!

grneyedmustang
03-26-2012, 01:27 PM

GREAT question.

I usually to go a store called Sprouts here once a week for my produce (it's very inexpensive there) and some meats. They have these individually portioned fish fillets in different kinds that I love. They also have inexpensive bulk spices and sometimes really good deals on ground chicken/turkey and seafood. Once Trader Joe's gets here, I'll probably go there once or twice a month as well.

About 2 or 3 times a month I go to Kroger for my "processed" items (drink mix, peanuts, yogurt, cheese, etc. -- I don't eat a lot of processed food but there are a few things I use) as well as beans/rice.

I'd love to do one stop shopping, but the prices at Sprouts offset it. :)

Tonight's dinner - I have fallen in LOVE with those stuffed zucchini. That's for dinner tonight with roasted broccoli and rice pilaf.

kateleestar
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM

I shop at... 4 stores, sometimes 5 depending on the sales. I go to a store called Aldi (Owned by the same people as TJ's, but its like, discount, and so much cheaper, lol) and get veggies and off brand things. They have 2 packs of green peppers, a multi pack of zuchinni, things like that.. Then I'll go to WalMart for my Light Buttermilk Ranch dressing and anything else they have on sale. If I need bread, I go to the bread store, which is a discount place we have. We have a Schwebels bakery and a Wonder bakery within about 10 miles of my house, so they will have my 35 cal a slice bread for 60cents a loaf, and I load up the freezer. I mainly shop at a regional store called Acme.. thats closest to my house and I get most everything there. I'll go to Sams once a month too, for household things and for bulk veggies like my big tubs of spinach and such. I shop EarthFare for my organic stuff and because they send out freebies via text and email. I'll go to Giant Eagle too, for the stuff that I can't get at the other places, because GE is a bigger "name" store and they have more of things I can't find. LOL. I drive a lot. :lol:

Sometimes I stop at the mexican market, because they have ah-mazing meat, and I go to the asian market too because they sometimes have deals on veggies and all my spicy stuff. :D

-------------------------------------

Dinner tonight is a version of this:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Ravioli-Lasagna

I'll be using cheese ravioli's for DH and I'll be layering mine with spaghetti squash and veggies... maybe a ravioli or two, but nothing crazy, lol.

YUM. And a spinach salad, as always. I have zumba tonight so I'll run home and eat my salad, make dinner and then zumba. Hopefully DH will stick it in the oven so itll be hot when I get home! :)

Jelma
03-26-2012, 04:28 PM
I didn't know Aldi is owned by TJ's. We have them here but I have never been to one. Next time I am near one I will have to stop in and check it out.

I should check out some of the ethnic markets in my town, there is one in particular I have been meaning to check out that is close to my house. We also have this awesome store called Jungle Jim's that has food from all over the world http://www.junglejims.com/ Sometimes I wish I had more people to cook for!

Tonight I am probably doing an easy pasta dish, my bf is still recovering from his dental procedure. I also am going to make black bean salsa since I have a ton of leftover cilantro. I am trying this recipe because I am interested in the seasonings - http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-and-corn-salsa/Detail.aspx but without the peppers since I don't have any and scaled back to 1 can instead of 4.

grneyedmustang
03-26-2012, 04:36 PM
I shop at... I go to a store called Aldi (Owned by the same people as TJ's, but its like, discount, and so much cheaper, lol) and get veggies and off brand things.

I LOVE Aldi. It's very inexpensive, and they have some really neat stuff. They have a dark chocolate bar called Moser Roth which is REALLY GOOD :D.

Riddy
03-26-2012, 10:23 PM
I always forget about Aldi - it's just not in my regular traffic pattern, even though it's just a couple miles away.

I do the bulk of my shopping at the regular grocery store. I will buy chicken at BJ's to freeze because they have packages that are already divided into 1 1/2 pound vacuum packs. I like to try different things from the health food store and the co-op, but that's not usually more than once a month.

I want to go to the farmer's market more, but I also want to sleep in on Saturdays. ;)

And Munchy, my throw-it-together curry was delish! I am getting more confident in my skills with mixing Asian/Indian flavors without a recipe.

Munchy
03-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Aldi was my lifesaver when I was trying to support a family on a budget. I tend to go to PriceRite now because they have a bigger selection of produce, but Aldi rocks.

Jelma
03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
Last night was tuna noodle casserole, not the healthiest of meals especially topped with butter and cheddar cheese. But the bf is still not able to eat much since his procedure.

Tonight I am feeling kinda lazy so I might make a personal pizza with turkey pepperoni or veggie with olive oil, light mozz, feta, kalamata olives and red onion. I like the Mama Mary crusts, they have 340 cal and 10 g fat for a whole crust which, I don't think seems too bad.

If I can get some motivation - butternut squash risotto is always good :)

ubskinnyagain75
03-28-2012, 07:26 PM
Dinner tonight - 265 Calories, 10 carbs

6 ounces of Baked/No skin chicken (170 calories)
1 cup of Raw Spinach (15 cals)
1/2 cup of Cauliflower (25 cals)
1 teaspoon of low sodium soy sauce (10 cals)
1/2 cup of beef broth (10 cals)
1 teaspoon of "I can't believe it's not butter" (35 cals)
A dash of Mrs. Dash (haha) - (0 cals)
Garlic Powder (0 cals)
Pepper (to taste - 0 cals)
Onion Powder (to taste - 0 cals)
Olive Oil Pam Cooking Spray (0 cals)

Bake chicken 40 minutes at 425 degrees. Take out of oven let rest.
In another pan, heat pan up with Pam spray. Put in your cauliflower on one side, then on other side slice up your chicken and put chicken in and then your spices on top of everything. I like my chicken nice and crispy and this is an excellent, non fat way of doing it. Let ingredients work together for a few minutes then add your soy sauce, teaspoon of fake butter and 1/2 your beef broth and on top of it all add your spinach. Let it sit there for a minute or so and then stir it all together and then add rest of your beef broth.
Let cook 1 more minute then serve.

Optional add but was out of it tonight - 1 cup of white mushrooms (15 calories or so) and excellent source of Vitamin D! It also has incredible flavor after it's been soaking in all those ingredients.

Munchy
03-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Last night was tuna noodle casserole, not the healthiest of meals especially topped with butter and cheddar cheese. But the bf is still not able to eat much since his procedure.

Tonight I am feeling kinda lazy so I might make a personal pizza with turkey pepperoni or veggie with olive oil, light mozz, feta, kalamata olives and red onion. I like the Mama Mary crusts, they have 340 cal and 10 g fat for a whole crust which, I don't think seems too bad.

If I can get some motivation - butternut squash risotto is always good :)

You should take a look at this Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/skinny-tuna-noodle-casserole.html)

For pizza crust, I always use flatout light (http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/flatout-light/light-original/) (90 cals, 9g fiber). It's like a thin crust pizza with whatever toppings I want and you can't beat 90 calories! :)

Munchy
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
I'll probably have a noodle bowl with scallops and tilapia. I'm on such a seafood kick. Last night was curry shrimp with spinach, potatoes, and bake (http://www.trinigourmet.com/index.php/fried-bake-n-fish/). Not the healthiest choice, but I had some leeway yesterday!

LAgreeneyes
03-29-2012, 10:20 AM
You should take a look at this Skinny Tuna Noodle Casserole (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/skinny-tuna-noodle-casserole.html)

For pizza crust, I always use flatout light (http://www.flatoutbread.com/products/flatout-wraps/flatout-light/light-original/) (90 cals, 9g fiber). It's like a thin crust pizza with whatever toppings I want and you can't beat 90 calories! :)

OMG!!! The Skinny Tuna Casserole looks DELICIOUS!!! http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/Drool.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Thanks for sharing.

I used the flatout light a while back but I remember that it was soggy for some reason. I wonder what I did wrong.

Munchy
03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
I used the flatout light a while back but I remember that it was soggy for some reason. I wonder what I did wrong.

You spray it with a misto (or pam) and put it directly on the rack for 7 minutes at 350 to crisp it. When it's done cooking, put your sauce and toppings on and bake for another 7 minutes. Perfect every time.

LAgreeneyes
03-29-2012, 10:31 AM
You spray it with a misto (or pam) and put it directly on the rack for 7 minutes at 350 to crisp it. When it's done cooking, put your sauce and toppings on and bake for another 7 minutes. Perfect every time.

Great!!!! I'm so glad I mentioned that to you. Now I know what to do. :carrot:

THANK YOU !

kateleestar
03-29-2012, 10:42 AM
MORNING ALL!

Tonight's dinner is this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/07/pepper-steak.html over brown rice with a spinach salad.

And I got a new tattoo last night, so I didn't go to bed till late and UGH, :lol: Although.. I saw no gain on the scale from it and I weighed in at my lowest weight so far this morning of 193 even. YEY!

ANYWAYS, lol... To the pepper steak, I'll add more onions and some button mushrooms, and likely use green peppers and a yellow one because that's what I have.

And I loooooooove that skinnytaste tuna noodle caserole!! :D

grneyedmustang
03-29-2012, 06:44 PM
MORNING ALL!

Tonight's dinner is this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/07/pepper-steak.html over brown rice with a spinach salad.

Congrats on the tattoo, Kate!

That pepper steak looks yummy. I might make it next week with some sauteed zucchini and onions on the side.

Today's dinner is these turkey burgers with sweet potato fries and a salad:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/actually-delicious-turkey-burgers/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=turkey%20burgers&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=%2fmy%2frecipebox%2fdefault.aspx

kateleestar
03-30-2012, 06:37 AM
It was really good pepper steak. I added some cabbage, zucchini, and broccoli slaw to it and we didn't even need the rice. It was tasty!

And thanks, I heart my new tat! :D

and... I love sweet potato fries. As much as butternut squash fries.... :)

Munchy
03-30-2012, 12:14 PM
I totally still want fish. I made a flounder stir fry yesterday with plenty of vegetables, brown rice, and a runny egg on top. Mmm!

I told my daughter that it's her choice as to where we eat tonight before we go to the movies. She picked Wendy's. Seriously. I guess I'll get a salad and just disregard the salt today...or a baked potato with sour cream. Their chili is also a good choice.

grneyedmustang
03-30-2012, 12:26 PM
I totally still want fish. I made a flounder stir fry yesterday with plenty of vegetables, brown rice, and a runny egg on top. Mmm!

I told my daughter that it's her choice as to where we eat tonight before we go to the movies. She picked Wendy's. Seriously. I guess I'll get a salad and just disregard the salt today...or a baked potato with sour cream. Their chili is also a good choice.

Munchy, since you mentioned fish - I had some halibut for the first time yesterday. It's my new favorite fish. Yummy!

Wendy's Chili and a Side Salad are my "go to" fast food meal most of the time when for whatever reason I have to do fast food (which isn't often).

Tonight I'm going to happy hour with some friends. Wish me luck.

Munchy
03-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Munchy, since you mentioned fish - I had some halibut for the first time yesterday. It's my new favorite fish. Yummy!

Wendy's Chili and a Side Salad are my "go to" fast food meal most of the time when for whatever reason I have to do fast food (which isn't often).

Tonight I'm going to happy hour with some friends. Wish me luck.

I'd TOTALLY waste calories on happy hour :devil:...but good luck :D

I may get a small chili and call it a day, but sometimes cheap beef makes my stomach hurt, lol.

LAgreeneyes
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
I'd TOTALLY waste calories on happy hour :devil:...but good luck :D

I may get a small chili and call it a day, but sometimes cheap beef makes my stomach hurt, lol.

LOL @ cheap beef.

Munchy
03-30-2012, 03:27 PM
LOL @ cheap beef.

;) I just looked at the website and it looks like they have broccoli for the potatoes. I'll get that and some sour cream (theirs is low fat already) and chives.

Or maybe the *sodium* chicken *sodium* salad with cranberries and apples.

grneyedmustang
03-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Or maybe the *sodium* chicken *sodium* salad with cranberries and apples.

SOOOOOO TRUE...LOL. Just one of the many reasons I prefer to cook at home.

Not to mention the calorie counts when eating out...since I started looking at calories a few years ago, I am amazed at how many calories some items have at restaurants.

Munchy
03-30-2012, 03:34 PM
SOOOOOO TRUE...LOL. Just one of the many reasons I prefer to cook at home.

Not to mention the calorie counts when eating out...since I started looking at calories a few years ago, I am amazed at how many calories some items have at restaurants.

I can always get it without chicken like I do on road trips. I can probably just eat when I get home, lol! I'll let my kidlet have her occasional processed food.

She doesn't even know that my homemade chicken nuggets are 1/2 veggies :o

Jelma
04-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks Munchy! I will check out the flatbread. Also the tuna casserole sounds good.

This was a crazy weekend of cooking. My boyfriend is still miserable. He has lost 10 pounds since the procedure. I spent all weekend cooking for him. So far the only thing he has been able to have is one cup of potato soup and strawberry ensure type drinks (yuck!).

I got my semi-annual beef order this past week and I had some short ribs that had been in the freezer for far too long so I made this, minus the potatoes-
http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-beef-short-ribs-16712
Amazing! I am slowly learning the joys of using the slow cooker. I had some pretty terrible experinces with it in the past but I think I was making the wrong things with it.

I also made this
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/old-fashioned-potato-soup/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=old%20fashion%20potato%20soup&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page
I blended it with my immersion blender and, though not too pretty because of the carrots, it has a nice flavor. Used regular broth instead of the bouillon.

I roasted a whole chicken from a recipe from an old Natural Health magazine. It was stuffed with lemon and garlic and I put paprika, salt and pepper on the skin. I've roasted many chickens and always used butter. This time I tried it with olive oil. It turned out great.

I bought some Velveeta to make some soup, unfortunately it is the full fat one. Does anyone have any suggestions for some healthy soup using it? I have leftover chicken so maybe a chicken tortilla soup?

Munchy
04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
I had salmon for breakfast this morning :D

I'm going to have leftovers: scallops, asparagus, and brussels sprouts for dinner.

kateleestar
04-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Last nights dinner, for me, lol, was lasagna with very little cheese and zucchini instead of noodles... tonight, I'm thinking I might make "mac & cheese" but use cauliflower and noodles. Hhm. I gotta look around still, lol. :D

Munchy
04-03-2012, 09:50 AM
I puree cauliflower and mix it half and half with cheese sauce for my daughter's mac and cheese. For myself I like to just use steamed broccoli and cauliflower:noodles probably 75:25 and cover with cheese sauce.

Last night I ended up having three leftover lemon pepper scallops and salmon with a lot of sriracha and mango salsa. I was so tired that it's all I ate. No sides :)

Tonight will be Thai peanut chicken pizza with broccoli slaw.

Riddy
04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Asparagus is in, so I think I'll make some asparagus soup for dinner. I went off plan at the Brazilian steakhouse on Saturday, so I think I'll blend tofu in it for my protein. It'll be a nice light but filling dinner.

Jelma
04-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Finally got the bf to eat! We had the leftover slower cooker short ribs over rice. He ate 2 big bowlfuls, I think he almost cried tears of joy :D

Tonight I am going to make Chicken Teriyaki over rice with the leftover roasted chicken. I will probably need to keep the sauce on the side in case it is too much for his mouth. Found this recipe online, sounds good but I will definitely use less brown sugar-http://www.food.com/recipe/restaurant-teriyaki-sauce-133751

Munchy
04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
Finally got the bf to eat! We had the leftover slower cooker short ribs over rice. He ate 2 big bowlfuls, I think he almost cried tears of joy :D

Tonight I am going to make Chicken Teriyaki over rice with the leftover roasted chicken. I will probably need to keep the sauce on the side in case it is too much for his mouth. Found this recipe online, sounds good but I will definitely use less brown sugar-http://www.food.com/recipe/restaurant-teriyaki-sauce-133751

I make a sauce that is similar, but you hardly need all that sweetener! It's soy sauce, agave, garlic powder (or some minced cloves), and a little sriracha. When I want a peanut sauce, I just add in a little bit of natural pb, a little more agave, and some water. Mmm!

I keep looking at this sauce Asian glazed drumsticks (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/asian-glazed-drumsticks.html) and drooling!

mammasita
04-03-2012, 12:03 PM
I have some asparagus to roast and I'm going to try some very well rinsed, dried and pan fried with cooking spray shirataki noodles in an asian type dish (thanks to munchy for the tips and pics lol).......and maybe some chicken thrown in.

Munchy
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I also made this
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/old-fashioned-potato-soup/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=old%20fashion%20potato%20soup&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page
I blended it with my immersion blender and, though not too pretty because of the carrots, it has a nice flavor. Used regular broth instead of the bouillon.

This baked potato soup (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/02/baked-potato-soup.html) is AWESOME. It's a huge hit in my house.

I've never used velveeta before, but I do love soup and eat it every single day. The ones I make the most are spicy blue cheese tomato soup, carrot peanut soup, split pea soup, roasted garlic broccoli soup, and curry lentil soup.

I have recipes for all of them if you're interested.

kateleestar
04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm gonna make this: http://www.eatliverun.com/stacked-roasted-vegetable-enchiladas/

I love that recipe. Although, I don't use a sweet potato. :)

Jelma
04-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I make a sauce that is similar, but you hardly need all that sweetener! It's soy sauce, agave, garlic powder (or some minced cloves), and a little sriracha. When I want a peanut sauce, I just add in a little bit of natural pb, a little more agave, and some water. Mmm!

I keep looking at this sauce Asian glazed drumsticks (http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/07/asian-glazed-drumsticks.html) and drooling!

Yeah, it does seem like alot and I do not have a sweet tooth. I do have agave that I need to use up. How much do you use? And, oh how I love sriracha! I bought some of their chili sauce too, it is amazing! Sriracha never gives me any unpleasant side effects though the chili sauce does. That is probably because I use so much of it!

I would love the soup recipes, particularly the blue tomato and the roasted garlic. They sound amazing. My grandparents are not in the best of health and my mom wants me to start cooking for them. I think soups would be good since they can easily be frozen. Well, I don't know about the milk based ones - do you freeze yours?