Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #1  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

Default Hello All... My story

First hello everyone:
I just joined the site yesterday and I am hoping that by joining this community I will be able to stay on track on my weight loss journey. Few people know this but at the start of the year I was 307lbs and I am only 5'3" (I am 28). I decided that I needed to do better not just for myself but for my son (who is 3).
I have committed my self to doing things slowly to make sure the weight is gone and stays off. So far my plan is to spend the first month or two reducing calories (1500 calories per day), drinking more water and learning portion control. So far I have been at it for about 2 1/2 weeks and I have lost about 8lbs which I am very proud of.
Next I was to exercise which will be my biggest battle. I have so much extra body fat it makes working out very hard. Any tips from anyone would be great.
I know that I am an emotional eater mainly when I am angry or feel defeated. If anyone can recommend a good book about this subject it would really be helpful.
My overall goal is to lose about 50 more pounds (total of about 60) by the end of the year. I figure even if I lose 1 pound a week its a good goal. (right?) I have bigger goals to get down to a size 16/18 but for right now 50lbs is my main goal.
So thank you in advance to everyone for reading and to any one who can provide tips (or know of any pitfalls that may come with weight loss).
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the 8lbs loss. Terrific!
I would start your excersie by walking more, using the steps at work if possible. Getting some light hand weights and doing some arm exercises. Moving more will make you feel better and as the weight comes off you will feel more comfortable trying different things. If you can, purchase a used elliptical or treadmill. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get one and having one at home gives you the freedom to hop on when your son is napping or in bed for the night.
Stay close to this forum and you will get a ton of support!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Congrats on your weight loss journey and your progress so far. I started above 280 and also couldn't do a lot of exercises. I started with Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds. It was great because I could tailor it to my pace and it didn't require a lot of jumping and strenuous activity. It gave a good workout, however. In about 8 1/2 months, I've gone from a 22/24 to a 14W/regular 16 (almost a regular 14). I also am a calorie counter and *try* to stay within 1200-1500 calories a day.

Wishing you well and cheering you on to goal!!!
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #4  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Ichoose, welcome, glad to have you join us. I suggest you look for a Challenge or Support group to join; small check-in groups make it easier to connect, get involved, and be accountable. We have groups centering around specific diet plans, themes, or age groups, so find one that inspires you and just post to join! Be sure to check out the 20-somethings, Calorie Counters, and Chicks in Control
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #5  
kellie105

S/C/G: 292.5/284.8/170

Height: 5'6

Im also just starting out and making a serious effort at weight loss. I went to the gym yesterday and walking a mile was hard but i did it. I also have been doing calorie counting and trying to eat clean (very little processed foods). I have two girls, 3 and 18 months and I want to be a good example and I want to live again. I have no energy and one of my main goals is to be able to increase my energy levels to be a better mom. Ive found that water excercize is the easiest for me. Congrats on the weight loss!!!

Last edited by kellie105; 01-24-2012 at 11:40 AM.
kellie105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #6  
Taking it 1lb at a time!

S/C/G: 291/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Congrats on your weight loss. When I first got started I used the Slim in 6 DVD but ended up giving up because honestly I got bored after a while and then gained about 10lb back over the holidays yuck. Walking has always been my favorite thing to do, but I seriously hate gyms and quite honestly hate walking outside in the area I live in now. Ive been using a Gazelle because for one I couldn't afford a treadmill and two I kept hearing about how it is low impact on your knees. I must say I love it. If you are interested in buying a treadmill or an elliptical or something try checking for 2nd hand sport shops in your area. We got our Gazelle $70 cheaper then buying brand new which was a steal mostly because we weren't even sure we'd like it(we as in my hubby and I).
CocoTruffles is offline   Reply With Quote