Old 01-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #1  
1 fat guy on a diet

S/C/G: 260/ticker/190

Height: 6'0"

Default New guy here!

Hey guys, I'm new here and am hoping to network with you for some support and motivation! I am currently 6'0" 260lbs and looking to be around 200lbs sometime this year. I will be doing the New Lifestyle diet starting on the 31st.

It's a high protein meal replacement diet thats centered around shakes and protein bars. I've never tried something like this, so it should be interesting at least.

Glad to see some fellas around, I am interested in reading all of your stories-- the successes and the failures we all must overcome.
speedofsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #3  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

speedofsound - it's always nice to have another guy around.

Neat that you've already chosen a diet. I'm not familiar with it, but extra protein sounds like a good thing.

My take is that sixty pounds in a year is a sane goal. You can go slow and perhaps do some resistance exercise to keep your muscle mass in good shape. Do you have a plan for exercise yet?

Guys are around and about on the different threads. Keep looking and poking in to those that interest you and you're likely to find one that fits.

Glad you've joined us.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:58 AM   #4  
1 fat guy on a diet

Thanks you two, wow you both have lost a good bit, congrats! I do have an exercise routine which has simply been walking/jogging on the treadmill 1hour/4 days a week. After that I do some weights which is simply a pair of 40lb dumbbells, which I usually lie on the floor and do benchpress until muscle failure. (usually 4-5 sets of 25). I also do some curls sitting in a chair.

I have a pretty bad back and I believe at some point will require surgery. If I were to do standing curls or deadlifts, I would be completely out of commission for at least 2 days because of my back. I screwed it up over the course of 8 years that I worked as a stocker in very high volume grocery stores. I lifted very heavy freight all night, every night for years and over time it completely wore me down from my back, shoulders, to my knees. I over did it every night until one day I just quit and went back to school. I now have a great job, but it can be very sedentary, and when I get bored..... I eat.............and eat.

Anyway, New Lifestyle Diet is just about the same as Wonderslim (if you've ever heard of it). I didn't know about it until last week when I was researching pro-cal and ran across it. A long time ago my father lost a good bit of weight using pro-cal 100 and I thought I would give that a try, but then decided to try New Lifestyle first.

My father ultimately lost his battle with food addiction and passed away 2 years ago, 59 years old at 430lbs. One of our last conversations was about me taking care of myself so I wouldn't end up like him, and then he apologizing several times over for letting things get to this point. It was a changing point for me, even though I have not managed to diet -- I did quit smoking and began to work on my emotional eating problems. I'm through with the grieving process now and am ready to win this thing. Life is great and I want whatever it has for me!

Last edited by speedofsound; 01-24-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Wow. I weigh more than your father did. Very sobering. I had a very strong reaction to this post. Not just fear or anything, just how honest your post seems to me. What's coming from behind it seems so genuine. I just had a very visceral reaction to your posting. I like you already! I wish you the best of luck and WELCOME.
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:12 AM   #6  
1 fat guy on a diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWeigh View Post
Wow. I weigh more than your father did. Very sobering. I had a very strong reaction to this post. Not just fear or anything, just how honest your post seems to me. What's coming from behind it seems so genuine. I just had a very visceral reaction to your posting. I like you already! I wish you the best of luck and WELCOME.
Thank you from one Southern Gent to another
Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #7  

Alright! Cheers to the South (with coffee since I don't drink lol) What part of the south are you from?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #8  
Newbie on the Block

S/C/G: 365/322/250

Height: 6'1"

Welcome, speedofsound.

I'm also a newcomer here - and have some work to do, as most of us do.

Glad to have you along - an active community has helped me in the past, so I'm hoping this one helps too.

Cheers,
atomic
atomic1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:33 AM   #9  
1 fat guy on a diet

Well I am actually starting my diet plan tonight! Yep, midnight. I work at night, so my life is flipped around backwards. I'm doing the New Lifestyle Diet, going to give it a real chance! Had my first shake and it was really good and filling. Taking another shake with me to fix at work tonight.

TheRightWeigh: I'm from Georgia, about 100 miles south of Atlanta, you? I love a good cup of coffee!

Atomic, good deal man. Have you guys decided on a diet plan? There are so many out there. I tried doing the calorie counting thing and just could not keep myself motivated to stick to it. I NEED something already portioned out and measured for me, or I will overeat. I also tried Slim-Fast, which I was miserable because I was starving all day and couldn't sleep because I was hungry. Atkins worked ok for me, but I stayed constipated to the point of having painful hemorrhoids and just hated the diet in general.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Welcome, new guys.

I'm in Raleigh, so Southern as well. I had to give up sweet tea and that is a painful thing for me.

I'm calorie counting and I run 3 days a week. I do weight training 3 days a week and take 1 day off whether I need it or not. Calorie counting works for me and makes sense. Once you get going it's really easy since you eat mostly the same stuff all the time anyway. Occasionally I'll have to take a few minutes and figure out something homemade, but it's not that much or that difficult. I use fatsecret to help me keep track. I've been doing it a month and with a few exceptions I haven't missed much. And I lost 12 pounds in that month. I also track my exercise, so I get the calorie deficit I need to progress.

Good Luck.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

LeonC -- It's not necessary to push yourself. The first step is to just get moving. A walk in the evening is an excellent start. It may be helpful to pick smaller interim goals. That may help keep you going when the going gets tough. It might also be a good idea to talk to a health care professional before you start anything serious exercise-wise.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW 420 324.6/Ticker/250

Height: 6

I looked up the diet your on Speed and I have to say it looks interesting. So how's it going and how does the food taste?
LGMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #13  

I am in in the Dallas area... born and raised in Austin, but I love it here...and coffee is GREAT
Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #14  
1 fat guy on a diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGMongoose View Post
I looked up the diet your on Speed and I have to say it looks interesting. So how's it going and how does the food taste?
So far so good! I'm only on day 4 so i can't really comment on how well it's working so far, but I don't feel deprived of anything. I've found 2 of the flavors of shakes I really really like (chocolate, mocha), and 2 flavors I don't like (strawberry, vanilla) but the rest of the stuff I tried is good and satisfying.

Over the last 3 days I've consumed an average of 1200 calories a day, and only once did I really feel hungry. Now I feel pretty adjusted to the regime and am starting to get into a flow with the diet.

My goal is to get down to 190 and then count calories after that. There are calorie calculators online, and they say that a 190 man my size should consume 2200 cal/day to maintain 190 (with no exercise). Thats the goal, get there, then maintain. I plan to journal everything I eat (hopefully for the rest of my life) because I know how easy it is for me to completely lose track of how much I have eaten in a day.

Ok, Well I just weighed just for kicks and it's showing I lost 2.4 lbs in 3 days. I'll keep this thread updated as the days/weeks go by with weigh in's (every Monday morning for sure)

TheRightWeigh- Man, I have always wanted to visit Austin for the music scene and culture going on there. Austin is really ahead of the curve in comparison to most of the South when it comes to pop culture/art/film/ music, ect. I would say that Atlanta, Savannah, or Athens, GA are the progressively moving culture cities here in GA-.....Austin gets a lot of attention nowadays.

It's possible that one day my job may send me to Dallas, and if they do, I'll be sure to check out the coffee shops! I like to frequent my local places when I can.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #15  

Yes, Austin is quite a place. My friends love it and always want to go. I like it and all, but I just love being in the area I'm in now. Austin is in me still though
and it will always be my stomping ground! I wish i had a traveling job!